Speaker 1: Already and this is the this is the daily this is the Daily OS. Oh, now it makes sense. Good morning and welcome to the Daily Oas it is Saturday, the twenty third November. I'm Sam, I'm Zara. Happy Saturday, everybody, and welcome to another episode of our good News podcasts Zara. There's a lot of good news to get through today, to bring a smile, good problem to happen. I know it is that great good news overwhelmed. Why don't we talk about that more? Yeah, why don't we start with a really important peace prize that's given out every year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I loved coming across this story and it's that for twenty years, an organization called Kids' Rights has awarded the International Children's Peace Prize. I hadn't heard of it, but have loved learning about it. And this year it went to a seventeen year old Afghan woman, her name is Nila Ibrahmi, for her work amplifying the voices of Afghan girl.
Speaker 1: So to put that in perspective, that means she was one in two thousand and seven, which is pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: And my god, has she done a lot in her very young life. She fled Afghanistan with her family after the Taliban retook Coble in August of twenty twenty one, and she now lives in Canada. Back in twenty twenty three, she founded something called her Story, and it's an online platform for Afghan women and girls to share their personal stories and their experiences. And I mean, I don't think I need to tell anyone why that's so significant, but just as a bit of a recap, since taking power, the Taliban has imposed many, many restrictions specifically on women and girls in the country. You know, they've banned them from high schools, from universities, from most forms of employment. Most recently, on the pod, we spoke about that women's faces and bodies now need to be fully covered in public, and that they're not allowed to use their voices outside their home. And so here we have a really young girl who has founded an online platform where that is possible, where women and girls can have their voices heard in the digital space.
Speaker 1: And I love these stories because we do spend a lot of time, especially at the moment, talking about the bad side of the internet. But here is an example of how the internet can really democratize this sort of exposure to stories.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent and after winning the award, Ibrahimi said, the voices of Afghan women and girls will echo across the world. We must all continue to give them strength and hope in the darkest of times.
Speaker 1: An amazing story and an amazing award given out to some clear you know, people who are doing amazing things now. But imagine what she's going to do in the decades to come. Now, let's send to sport. I am particularly excited today because it is the start of the Australian Test cricket summer that started yesterday. But we're not talking about cricket. We're talking about soccer. We are.
Speaker 2: I actually have two good news sports stories for today. So the first is that for the very first time ever an Australian national soccer team has won a World Cup.
Speaker 1: And they said it couldn't happen.
Speaker 2: Did you know that? So this week the Para Matilda's one the Cerebral Palsy World Cup and retained their spot at the top of the global rankings. The Para Matilda's scored six goals to defeat the US six to two at the finals.
Speaker 1: Take that that's always sweet anything.
Speaker 2: Team captain and goalkeeper Caitlin Smith scored three of Australia's goals from across the.
Speaker 1: Field goalkeeper superstar.
Speaker 2: So the team secured their spot in the finals with at ten neil victory over Denmark and didn't lose a match through the entire group stage. I mean, that's a pretty clear winning streak from the Ossies. And just to paint a bit more of a picture as to what this competition is. CP football is open to athletes with cerebral palsy or an acquired brain injury and the World Cup for both the men's and the women's game were held in Spain this month and it was our Ossie girls that took it home.
Speaker 1: You promised me two stories though, so we've got the CP World Cup of Victors. I'll be running with that one for a little while. Bring me another one.
Speaker 2: So this week it was announced that next year's NRLW season, So that's the Women's NRL League. It's been confirmed to be its biggest ever on record, so it has twelve teams, an eleven weeks regular season and a three week final series. For the first time, the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs will field a women's side, while the new Zealand Warriors are returning to the competition after a few years away. Every club will have at least one night where the women's and men's games will be played back to back, which I kind of love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a fantastic initiative where you can go with friends and family and see both the men's and women's teams playing on the same night. Zara, We've got two more good news stories to get through. Where are you taking me in the world now?
Speaker 2: So don't even know if this is really a good story, but I just thought that it was funny.
Speaker 1: Which is actually how all good stories start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it turns out that Italian authorities have intercepted eight million euros, so that's about thirteen million Australian dollars worth of artifacts that were headed for the black market. So two thieves are alleged to have begun digging up the artifacts near Farmland and in the region of Umbria. And these artifacts included things like urns and beauty products. One thing that was found was a perfume bottles that Reuter's reported still smells of the original scent. But the reason that I think this story is so funny is that local art police, which I must say feels like a uniquely European proposition. They were tipped off about the thieves because the thieves started posting some of the artifacts on Facebook marketplace trying to find buyers, and they somehow through that were able to intercept this huge ring of black market artifact selling.
Speaker 1: We're very much in favor of the internet today. I mean, I know a couple of.
Speaker 2: I mean there's you know, we've had news of a social media band. We've had so much I was just trying to balance it out a bit today.
Speaker 1: I just love the image of some thieves digging up Nana's garden looking for artifacts that she's clearly buried at the back underneath the famous olive tree. I know, too good, Zara, let's take her back home now. To finish off with it was aria Awards this week week for Australian music.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, I mean, I think that it's really nice when we get to take a moment to celebrate homegrown talent and the ARIAS has no shortage of inspiration and great news stories. I think there were two moments of the night that I wanted to highlight to take us out for the day. So the first was that we saw a record number of First Nations artists nominated for an ARI Award. I believe there were twenty two First Nations people who were nominated, and some of those First Nations performers took home trophies across multiple categories, things like Best Country Album, Best Hip Hop Rap Release, and Best Adult Contemporary Album. The list of First Nations winners included Nookie, Angus Field and Dallas Woods of three Percent, the hip hop band Troy Cassa Daily and Emily wore Amara. And I think that for an Australian Awards night, this is just such a good sign that we are recognizing and highlighting the incredible work of First Nations artists.
Speaker 1: Especially when there's been a bit of chatter in music circles about how hard it is to break into a local market now with how easy it is to listen to American artists and kaya that's really really good to see. And then there's always one induction into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: This is actually just becoming a Missy Higgins fan podcast. But we did speak about this story a little while ago when the ARIA did announce that it was going to induct Higgins into the Hall of Fame, and I mentioned at the time the reason that they were giving it to her was that they said that Missy Higgins's music had been cited as a formative influence by two generations of Australian singer songwriters, and we spoke about that at the time. But what I loved most at the ARIA Awards, and you actually alerted me to this, was when Missy Higgins got up on stage. She performed a medley of all her biggest hits and then foot scar which is the biggest banger of all. She was joined by a number of other Aussie superstars, people like Amy Shark, g Flip, Angie McMahon and Greta Ray, and all of these people have spoken about the influence of Missy Higgins on their own crafts and it was so heartwarming. It was so beautiful. You know, as you said, we so often fixate on these internet national superstars when we've got so many of them here at home, and I wanted to just take out this podcast with when all of these thing has got up and asked the crowd to sing the last chorus to Scarf, I'll leave it at that and ask you all to have a wonderful weekend. I hope it is filled with sunshine wherever you might be listening. We'll be back again on Monday morning, but until then, have a lovely weekend.
Speaker 1: My name is Lily Madden and I'm a proud Arunda Bungelung Calcultin woman from Gadighl country.
Speaker 2: The Daily oz acknowledges that this podcast is recorded on the lands of the Gadighl people and pays respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island. And we pay our respects to the first peoples of these countries, both past and present,