Speaker 1: I meant to ask you if you could pick your favorite car of the year you're born.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh that's a good idea. Yes, are you just typing in.
Speaker 1: Nineteen forty two? You could probably do that? That Mercedes at Hitler Drow during the war.
Speaker 2: That is funny.
Speaker 1: Shit, what what do you got? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've literally just typed in nineteen eighty seven, hold in Commodore because that's probably what it's gonna be. Really, No, I know what it is now. It's the F forty Ferrari.
Speaker 1: Oh that's an easy owner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's nineteen eighty seven, which was my year of birth. So yeah, that's that's me. That would actually suit me just nicely.
Speaker 1: I'm having a log. What was yours?
Speaker 2: Like the horse and cart?
Speaker 1: All right, mate, crack in the little jokes like go tod, this's great joke on the podcast Halls and Cart. Can I deliver it again? I was thinking the Bentley Mulsane Turbo. Oh yeah, yeah, it's the one. It's got to be the one with the dual headlight. It's not the big square ones because they look shitty. Yep, they do kind of look cool in a way, like eighties cool, like Jack Thompson smoking on the bonnet call. But I reckon there.
Speaker 2: They were James bonded as well, I think, oh from memory. Yeah, I'm just having a look now. So it says Bond purchases a Mulsan turbo in John Gardener's eighty four James Bond novel Role of Honor.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I've fallen asleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know the interesting thing with with those cars, and that one in particular, the Bentley actually had a Rolls Royce engine, and Rolls Royce goes to so much effort with their engine sizes that it was a six point seven five liter V eight. How precise is that?
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Yeah, my grandma used to be like head inspector of during the war, like they used to put them in aeroplanes and stuff. She used to going over people's work. You might have known her, like you probably worked with her back in the day. Do you know what? I realized we haven't even done an intro yet. And last week I kind of give you the big sort of hey guys, it's Paul from car Expert dot com dot you, and then I just get I just mentioned my own name, and then we move on and you just make some terrible remarks. I go home and cry to my wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, it's Gordy from the radio station. That's it.
Speaker 1: Hi, my name's Paul from Car Expert. I've also signed with Channel seven. Actually, you know what, I've signed my own deal. It's with SBS. And I can't tell you this, but I've signed to SBS. And it's a car show, obviously, and it's me and leland Chin in the back of various cars and we just make out for twenty minutes, and then she finally looks out the window and says, I wish I went electric. And I'm like, you're talking about the car, right, and she just pauses for a long while and goes, no, I we got to talk about some cars that have been released straight up direct from the LA Auto Show. The Porsche RS or the Porsche Cayman RS.
Speaker 2: Yes, the GT four RS. I mean they revealed the GT four version of the Cayman, which existed in the previous Cayman. But now the seven one eight is bringing I think it's the world's worst kept secret, but an RS version of the GT four and.
Speaker 1: The thing that blows me away.
Speaker 2: They kind of always said that the four leter wouldn't fit into their and it's it's kind of familiar with things like the nine to eleven GT three cup car and the series production nine to eleven GT three, which means three hundred and sixty eight kilowatts of power and four hundred and fifty meters of talk like it is just genuinely insanity in a car that weighs what fourteen hundred kilos and it looks, it looks so menacing.
Speaker 1: So good. They've literally put a nine to eleven engine in this right, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's the four liter effectively out of the GT three, so it's very similar. And this is I guess this is what you'd call a mid engine car because it doesn't actually have an engine in the back like a nine to eleven does. So it is quite a complex machine in terms of the way they've got it set up. And it's up almost sixty kilowats and twenty new meters over the standard GT four and I think the best bit is at revs to nine thousand rpm, which is just amazing.
Speaker 1: See Porscha purists will hate me saying this, but everyone was like, there's no way a Cayman will ever be a nine to eleven, especially like a nine eleven GT three, But we've found that contender. I mean, it's essentially the same one. I'm a big fan of the Cayman's. I've always been called the poor man's Porsche. I just think, I mean, you've got effectively you've got you've got this mid engine car, and it's superior to a nine to eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if we're honest with ourselves, aside from it not having four seats, you've got a car here that I think, with the right driver would probably outperform pretty much every nine to eleven that isn't like a proper GT three or a GT three R rare. And you can see that Porsche has put a lot of effort into this. It's not just a car for the sake of being a car. They've cut thirty five kilos out of this compared to a non RSGT four, and a non RSGT four was still a light and fast car. So extensive use of carbon. I think it just looks absolutely awesome and I just can't wait for it to get here. But I don't know if you've seen the price. Have you seen the price?
Speaker 1: No, I'm trying to look for that now.
Speaker 2: No, let me tell you. So basically, the Cayman starts at somewhere around the one hundred and something thousand dollar mark. The GT four is two hundred and eleven thousand dollars. How much do you reckon this is?
Speaker 1: I'm going to say uploads of about four fitty.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is three hundred, three hundred thousand, three hundred thousand and eight hundred dollars. It's a big step up because it's what ninety thousand dollars more than a GT four, So that is a whole heap of cash, and that's before on road costs. It could even be four fifty by the time you add luxury car tacks and the other stuff they indecently take out of our pockets whenever we want to get something nice in this country.
Speaker 1: I think I still think it's a better deal than say, looking at a fairly top spec nine to eleven.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean a Carera S is probably around that three hundred thousand dollar mark, So you know, it is good value for money in that sense. And yeah, it just looks awesome. So what are your thoughts on this? Though it's only available with the PDK no manual transmission.
Speaker 1: Really, that's weird.
Speaker 2: Is that not manual?
Speaker 1: Manual?
Speaker 2: I know, it looks like a manual, and then you assume in, Yeah, zoom in on the pedals and you'll see it's missing a pedal. So because you're listening to this and not watching it, that was Gordy showing me a picture.
Speaker 1: Of GC four US.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, maybe we should explain what you were just doing. Yeah, yeah, it's deceiving because it looks like a manual. But yeah, it's just got two pedals.
Speaker 1: So wow. I mean it's becoming more and more commonplace though, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely so. I mean to put the times into context, it was able to lap the Nurburg Ring, the twenty point eight kilometer circuit in seven minutes and nine seconds. They also did a slightly shorter version of the circuit which takes two different measuring points, and that was seven minutes four So it's about twenty three seconds quicker than a standard GT four around the nurburg Rings, so bloody quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me tell you that that is a proper race car right there. Yeah, I'm kind of jealous. I got to see the what is it? The RAMTRX did you been driving the fifteen hundred. Yes, yes, massive car. I think we briefly talked about it last week. But giz, you looked like a real country boy in this thing. You really look like you're enjoying that.
Speaker 2: I am an absolute bogan. I didn't enjoy filling it because it has like a one hundred and twenty five liter tank and I used half the tank and I thought, I'll just go fill it up. And I was filling it and I thought, has this got like a giant hole in it that I'm not aware of? Because I got to about the sixty meter mark of fuel and it's still going And I'm like, okay, at two dollars a leter plus, this is going to really set me back something. But I just want to put this car into context. So the RAM fifteen hundred is is what they call a mid sized truck in the States, and mid size is kind of funny because it's absolutely it's fucking enormous to something like a Ranger.
Speaker 1: You could fit in that tray. To give us an idea, what sort of car do you reckon you could fit in that tray?
Speaker 2: I think you, I genuinely think you could fit a smart Car in the tray.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, I reckon you can fit a Zuki Swift yet like it is, it is huge.
Speaker 2: To put the size into context, it's about six meters long, it's two point two meters wide mainly due to the mirrors, and six meters long makes it almost a meter long than a Ford Ranger, longer than a Hord Ranger in terms of heights. It's too big to fit into most underground car parks, so I wasn't able to leave it at home because I couldn't get it into our car park. But the most impressive part is the engine. So it's powered by a Hellcat V eight and for those who don't know what that is, it's basically the six point two Leader Supercharge V eight that they use in things like the Charger and the Challenger, and it just it shouldn't exist because that engine is absolutely monstrous. We're talking, you know, enough to do zero to one hundred and nunder five seconds and it weighs like two point six tons, so it is an absolute beast, and the sound is next level. The supercharger wine is incredible. It is just yeah, it does not put a foot wrong.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to this car in a big way. It's exciting that they've done this. What's your thoughts on the interior, because I'm going to throw something at you, And I did see the interior in this, and I think it actually, despite what I'm about to say, it looks pretty good. American cars, especially ones with attitude, say muscle cars make shit interior.
Speaker 2: Yes, see, generally that's true. The interior in this I think was pretty goo. The reason I say that is the big trucks have like giant glove boxes. They're very spacious. They've got this huge vertical screen inside it. There's like a TRX button, so you press that if you want it to do stupid things. And they also brand everything. So there's a wireless phone charger, and in any other car it would just be a wireless phone charger, but in this it's called a RAM charger, and I'm like, yeah, I just want to put my mate. Yeah. And in terms of the engine, five hundred and twenty three kills eight hundred and eighty two meters, but yeah, look I like the interior, but are you gonna tell me you don't look?
Speaker 1: I don't mind it in this, I don't mind it. Actually, I think it's pretty cool from memory when you're sitting in it, it legit looks like a laundroom.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is exactly that.
Speaker 1: It's massive, yeap. And the branding just over the center console there, just on the arm rest there, that's that's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They've got like a little build plate that tells you the VIN number the engine, so it tells you the supercharger size, the amount of horsepower that it makes. The thing I love the most though, the little plaque says something like designed in wherever It's designed Michigan, except they forget to mention it's actually built in Mexico. So this big ass American truck is built in Mexico, which is kind of just a bit funny, but yeah, look at I think the big deal with this is they're not built in right hand drive, so when they come to Australia these have to be converted to right hand drive. And the company that does this is based out of Queensland and it's called oz MV, so Australian manufactured Vehicles.
Speaker 3: Thing.
Speaker 2: The big thing about it though, is they've just announced to deal with my car, which is the old Kmart Tyron auto service name. Yeah, so you can get this thing serviced across the country. How much do you think this costs? By the way, so the price is about seventy thousand US dollars in the States.
Speaker 1: Just a quick one. Don't you find it hilarious that you can take this big ass Ram into what used to be came out tired auto for a service? Yeah? Exactly. Can you imagine that when you were driving along? I got to ask and you're looking at, say, some dude in a you know, a gim Bean button up shirt and a Monster Energy flat cap and he's in his Ford raptor were you listening to a bit.
Speaker 2: Of this is Paul just cruising around?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: My god, warm summer's even Yeah, bounce, I've got a met up with We were craving asleep with my sister, so we to turn staring. I feel strangely racist right now too. The boredom aver Turco and he began to speak and then he just spat out some tobacco tobacco juice. Yeah all right, So look, I think I think the Ram TRX fifteen hundred is incredible. I think it's an important car.
Speaker 2: Well, how much is it till me?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm going to say around about one seventy five.
Speaker 2: Okay, so depending on which one you get. They had one car there which was the launch edition. When I went to pick this up sticker to ninety. Yeah, it's insane, isn't it. So I'll put that into context as well. So basically when they buy these, they buy them from dealers in the States and over there because of the chip shortage, there's a huge demand for cars. Dealers are allowed to list cars for whatever they want over there, and they're all charging around twenty to thirty thousand US dollars above sticker price. So they buy it, They pay GST and import tariffs when it comes to Australia, plus luxury car tax I think is applicable to these as well. They then convert it. Then when they sell it, you have to pay luxury car tax and all the other bullshit on it as well. So the government is double dipping on these, and the end cost is mainly all just fees that you're giving to the government for no good reason.
Speaker 1: Going to buy this. This is going to be bought by the property developer, right the trade who's not really a trading anymore, is doing pretty well for himself or the CEO who wants to appeal to the common man, or Paul driving around giving it a bit of I could do that all day long.
Speaker 2: I know you could.
Speaker 1: I could just see you in the cubra. Excuse me, does anyone know the quickest way to Daniliguan? You got? We should finish the show with that. I love that.
Speaker 2: I'd actually I'll tell you what if if you have bought one of these, or you know someone that has, please send us an email to contact at the driveshow dot com toda you, because I want to know who is buying these, because genuinely I would love to own one, because it is so offensive and I really did enjoy pulling up next to people in like Rangers that were lifted and with their two leader Diesel engines. This thing just takes that that the measuring game up to just a very unique level.
Speaker 1: A compensate.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be at the urinal next to one of.
Speaker 1: These, Yeah, it's it is a car that just stands out. Could you live with it as a daily No?
Speaker 2: Because it's impossible to park anywhere. So yeah, unfortunately not in all reality. If you don't go for the stupid t Rex, you can get just a RAM fifteen hundred, they have like a four and a half ton break towing capacity. Even if you tow three and a half tons with just a standard TOBAL, you will not notice a caravan on the back of it, whereas toe three and a half tons with a two letter forward ranger and you will know that there's a three and a half ton caravan on the back. So that is what people are using them for, generally for towing and just for country driving. For a country drive, they're actually pretty efficient for naturally aspirated V eight. The tower Rex is just never efficient, but the standard RAM fifteen hundred ACTS is actually sort of half decent.
Speaker 1: It's the end of the world car the car actually it's the car you jump in when lock down four happens.
Speaker 2: And you want to drive to Tasmania, like across the water.
Speaker 1: He interesting one pick story this week with the government and now seeing funding for the electric car market. One thing I wanted to ask you, and this is what I reckon a lot of consumers would ask when it comes to electric cars, right is how far does it take me? And how can I charge it? And is this about to get easier? Because I feel like we're going to talk Ionic five in a moment. And one of the big turn offs I found with people asking questions about it and stuff like that is, Oh, we're just not set up. We're not set up yet for the electric We don't know, you know, people are afraid, they don't know where to charge it and whatnot. Are we near the point where where we can finally have electric cars in commonplace?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, that question that people ask, it's a bit of a it's a bit of a silly question because ultimately, when you own an EV, you don't really think about that stuff as much. And I can understand people apprehensive before going into an EV. But I own a Tesla and do you Yes, it's a Model three performance.
Speaker 1: Is Avatasla with the crazy zero to one hundred times.
Speaker 2: It's quick, but it's not that quick.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's not the only time you've said that sense.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not so. Yeah. The government has come out and said that it's tipping in two hundred and fifty million dollars into a future Fuels and Vehicle strategy, of which one hundred and seventy eight million is ear mark to support rollout of infrastructure. It reckons it will make twenty six hundred jobs over three years while it's doing this, and it thinks that by twenty thirty thirty percent of new car sales will be battery, electrical, plug in hybrid or hydrogen. So they want to add fifty thousand charging stations in homes across Australia and also roll out public charging infrastructure. It is ambitious and I think it's great, but it depends on the charges they're rolling out, So you've got it's a bit hard to explain because if you fill your car with petrol, it's basically the same give or take wherever you go. When you put the thing in, squeeze the trigger, you know that it'll be fall in about sort of five minutes. Well, with evs you've got different charge rates, so you can have a ten out plug which is just like a socket at home, and that will take around twenty four hours to charge a car from empty, or you can go all the way to a supercharger that charges within twenty minutes. So they haven't specified exactly what they're rolling out, where they're rolling it out, and which cars it will support, so you know, typical government, it is all very sort of flaky and very vague as well, which I just don't love.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's also being said for the sake of saying it, because at the moment that is the sort of subject that is popular at to tackle. Yep, and yeah, you're right with the superchargers. I mean people, I think generally people want to know, like's if it's a twenty minute job that can sort of fit into their lifestyle. My opinion on electric cars since since driving one has changed, I think that people well, eventually it's just different ways of doing familiar things, and I think people's lifestyle will change around that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's the thing. Once you own one, you'll realize that you really never really panic about stuff. You plan ahead, You charge if you need to. But even living in an apartment, we've got the charging setup and it's fine. I mean, the government's saying here that it will roll out fifty thousand household charges and a thousand public fast charging stations, and they reckon it'll cover eighty four percent of the population. So that's going to be enough for city folks. But if you are traveling into the country or you do a lot of country driving, it's something that I think we're still not there yet in terms of range. There are cars coming, and I think by twenty thirty will well and truly have cars that will get us the long range that some of these people want, and also trucking and stuff like that. So I don't know, let's see where it takes us. But I'm not going to hold my breath because knowing the government. You know, the thing that kind of annoys me with any government is that when they commit to a project like this, if the next government comes in and says, nah, it's shit, we're going to roll it back, you end up with a turd of a project. And I think that happened with NBN, where it was going to be fiber to the home, then all of a sudden it was fiber to like halfway to the home, and you've ended up with this colossal shit storm of an Internet network in Australia that could have actually been good.
Speaker 1: I think going forward though, in terms of saying something like apartment blocks, I know that supercharging stations are becoming will be a lot more commonplace in those.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, and that's why we're setting up. I'm the chair of our Owner's Committee and at our apartment building, and we're setting it up in such a way that if an owner invests in ev charging, it will increase the value of their property. The only downside to shared spaces is you probably do what I do when I get home. If you park the car and a visitor park, you're like, ah, I can't be bothered going back down to move it.
Speaker 1: That's not what I do when I get home.
Speaker 2: But that's right, that's what I do.
Speaker 1: So there is a photo of you next to my bed, and I do crank up a bit of Shineada Connor. Nothing compares to you.
Speaker 2: Anyway, but yeah, I think that look. Eventually, we'll see how it pans out. But yeah, we've got to do something because doing nothing really isn't working.
Speaker 1: People would be seeing a very sexy electric all over social media, the Rivian, which is an electric U. It looks beautiful, it's got these kind of crazy headlights. Basically, those cars that they're looking at are not real cars. They're pre production cars by the looks of it being given to influencers. But yeah, this is a strange company and they're making some strange moves.
Speaker 2: It's just insane. So they floated on the stock market at I think seventy dollars a share. Right now, at the time of reading this, they're at one hundred and seventy two dollars a share, so they've almost tripled market cap of one hundred and fifty billion dollars. This is a company that has barely delivered any cars at all. I absolutely love them. I think they look fantastic. And I'm going to put that into context. One hundred and fifty billion dollars is worth eighty five billion, and Ford is worth seventy seven billion. So this company that's delivered virtually nothing is now worth double or triple that. The other thing that's really fascinating as well, Amazon owns a big chunk of the company, and so does Ford. And also further to that, Tesla is worth around one trillion dollars.
Speaker 1: Hey, we should talk Ionic five. What do you reckon? Yes, let's do it.
Speaker 3: The twenty twenty two Yunday Ionic five Yunday's Bold Cutting Edge EV price to start from seventy one nine hundred dollars for the two wheel drive or for the one we reviewed at seventy five nine hundred dollars for the top spec all wheel drive.
Speaker 1: So I got about two weeks with this car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you like him?
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. I think Yon Day have got it almost perfect with this car. You could say this car is almost brilliant. The only problem is how it drives. Let me explain everything about this car. I actually genuinely love right, there's no doubt. There is no doubt when you're standing in front of it. It just stands out. It looks, It looks crazy cool. Everything from the wheels look great. I love it how it's they're almost flushed with the tire and it's sort of machine yet it's got the kind of you know, that sort of spiralized look about them, sort of divity things. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, divity things. I'm pretty sure that's what was on the pressure as it's in the pressure. I think they're really cool. I think the headlights at the front, the square kind of tron esque style headlights look really cool. Same at the back as well, they almost look pixelated. The shape of it's great. The interior you can tell that Juan Day has spent a lot of time thinking about this, and I think they've really tried to craft something kind of different, and it's this beautiful balance of different but not trying to scare people too much. It's really cool. It's really minimalist. It's cool with that. It's got that center console that you can move up and down. I've never seen that in the car before. It's got the glove draw.
Speaker 2: The little sort of box type thing. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One thing I didn't like is the drive park reverse things. The stalk is on the right hand side behind the wheel. The first couple of days I'm like, ah, I'll just get used to that. That's that's fine, And after a couple of weeks I sort of did, but it's still that to me was just.
Speaker 2: A bit much.
Speaker 1: A bit Yeah, it was just a bit. But then I was thinking, I was like, well, if they were to move it back in the middle, then you wouldn't have that really cool center console, which, to be honest, I think that's more it's a little gimmicky. I think it's cool, but the fact that the whole thing moves, you could have just done that with the arm rest.
Speaker 2: I think the whole concept is that you can get out of the left hand side of the car because you know when you're because it's all flat and it makes it Yeah, you could just slide it out of the way and then you just walk through. Basically, that was the whole sort of reasoning behind it.
Speaker 1: Why I'd know.
Speaker 2: There are a couple of occasions where I've had to sneak out the other side, but that's.
Speaker 1: Usually because you're involved with a lady of the night. You're with like Honey Brown. She was a good bloke. Actually, I've got to meet her. We had beers afterwards. The other thing they say.
Speaker 2: Is you could put bags down there, and what I thought was, well, yeah, you can put bags down there, but when you go around a corner, the bag slides under your legs and makes it hard to drive the car, So I wouldn't put bags down there. Hold on, let's give people some context here, right, So the Ionic five is basically a car that was produced on a unique platform, a unique EV platform. The previous evs N day had, like the Kner and other ironic we're all shared with internal combustion cars, whereas this one was on an EV platform only in terms of size, it looks like a hatchback, but it's actually quite big, and it's bigger than a Tesla Model three. The wheelbase is longer than a palisade and The Palisade is their big seven seater. It's priced from just over seventy thousand dollars before on road costs, so more expensive than an entry level Tesla Model three. And in terms of the models, there's only two in Australia. There's a two will drive and an all will drive, and both of them are loaded with kits, so they all come with all the bells and whistles.
Speaker 1: And I think the fact that it's got such a big drive platform is probably for me. It's probably their downfall. Like, look, I did enjoy driving it very much, but it's not the sort of car that you can kind of weave in and out of busy Sydney traffic. For instance. It's got like for a big car, at five twenty seven roughly leaders in the boot, I kind of thought maybe there could have been more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the boot's really weird because, like I now with a kid, I just know all of the shit that my wife packs. When we go like literally ten meters down the road.
Speaker 1: It's pop down and chatty, but that's pack Like we're going to Tibet exactly.
Speaker 2: For nine years, so I know how much of a pram and all that shit takes up, and when I put the PRAM and stuff in the Ionic five, I was like, this packaging is really bad. Because the Tesla has like forty or fifty centimeters of depth in the boot beneath the floor that you can stash things. It's got a front boot. The O wheel drive version of the Ionic has a twenty seven liter front boot, so you can literally fit a cable in there. The boot is tiny, you know, for the space of the car. So yeah, it's a little disappointed to that. Did you try reclining the driver's seat or the passenger seat for the fully reclined.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I thought that was really cool. It's got this I don't know what you call. I guess it's got this feature where while you're charging the car, the driver's seat can fully recline pretty much flat.
Speaker 2: It's good in theory, and I think when we go to autonomous cars it'll be great. But it is definitely a gimmick at the moment. I like that it's something different, though, you know, just for the sake of being different, but.
Speaker 1: You are it could be this sort of car Cabby's Drive. And this isn't even a joke, Lily, It could be the sort of car or an uber driver would drive. That's true, and they've got a bit of downtime, they just take a bit of a chill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. And look in terms of the drive train, this really sort of it's an interesting one because it competes on a number level. So the all will drive version will do zero to one hundred and five point two seconds, so it's pretty quick. It's not lightning, but it is quick. It uses a seventy two kilo what our battery. One of the things I absolutely loved about it is it does a thing called a vehicle to load, and what that means is you can plug an adapter into the power socket and it lets you have a three point six killer what power outlet rated at fifteen amps.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I tested that on the side of the road and I cooked a piece of toast. How cool was that? I cooked future toast. Yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 2: And I think, you know, if you look at the applications for that, you could go camping, run like a camp kitchen, you could run a sound system, you could do whatever you wanted. Really and I think innovations like that make evs really cool. But I found that it wasn't overly efficient. It's a little different here in EVS they measure efficiency and killer what hours per one hundred kilometers compared to literas per one hundred kilometers in a standard internal combustion car, and something like my Tesla, for example, will do sixteen or seventeen killer what ours per one hundred kilometers, And that is if I'm thrashing it. This for me was averaging around the twenty killer what ours per one hundred kilometer marks. So it is pretty thirsty in the sense of it uses a lot of electricity to move that mass around.
Speaker 1: Trains the battery. You know what I found a little weird was it's literally one of the most futuristic filling cars in there yon day have it still doesn't have wireless Apple car play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, man, that's what is going on? Does my head? In? Hyundai offers wireless Apple car play on entry level models and for some reason.
Speaker 1: The cheaper model key does exactly the same thing.
Speaker 2: The more you spend, the less you get. That stuff's annoying. I think the key is silly as well. Why do you need a key? Like, one of the things I love about Tesla is you don't need a key the new Volvo XC forty recharge, for example, or the Polestar. To start the car, you just put your foot on the brake and put it in drive. And it's like, why do you need a button that says start? And you know, it's like, okay, I'm in the car, my foot's on the brake, of course I want to start it.
Speaker 1: Oh right, yeah, I see what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a bit counterintuitive when it comes to that stuff.
Speaker 1: I think keys will probably become fairly obsolete. Generally you can do it with your phone, right, you can start the car with your phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So they don't have any of that remote connectivity here in Australia, which I think is strange as well. It is your most advanced car and I can't connect to it with my phone. But look, in terms of charging, it does up to three hundred and fifty kilowats of DC fast charging. Currently it's capped to around two hundred and thirty kilo wats, but that means a charge from ten to eighty percent at a rate of about seventeen minutes, which is pretty good I reckon for that sort of charge.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, I think all up this is a great car. I love it. I genuinely love it. It changed my attitude a little bit, quite a lot actually to electric cars. I would have one of these as a daily driver. The fact that I don't, I thought to myself, I need to change that, because it makes so much more sense to have an electric car as a daily driver and then have the fun, petrol guzzler, dirty Porsche on the weekend. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I'm with you on that. And like, this car has some pretty cool stuff in it, like the they call it an E pedal. I think it's called no I pedal.
Speaker 1: So with the plus and minors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but so you've got plus and minus on the steering wheel, which allows you to change the region level. But if you keep going back beyond the hardest region level, it does what they do in the Nissan Leaf and in the Tesla cars where it will allay you a roll to a complete stop and it will then hold the car so you don't need to use the brake.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, actually that was said on this too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tuned perfectly. So it's tuned really well. And when you said it didn't drive that well for me, that extended to the ride Hyunda used to do all of their right in handling tuning for Australian cars in Australia, so you'd get the right feel behind the wheel. This doesn't have that, and when we did our testing with it, it just has no body control when you hit continuous undulations and you'll find that sort of stuff on country roads. It's fine in and around the city, it's really pleasant, no dramas, but the second you go to a country road and you cop those continuous undulations at highway speeds, you're getting to the point where it feels uncomfortable and doesn't feel nice to drive.
Speaker 1: So spending time with an electric car really did make me realize how much that we subconsciously rely on sound and feel of a car. Talk is different compared to a petrol car. It's sort of you don't feel that kind of climbing, you don't feel the rev I kind of miss that. I love that when I jumped back in my old car. I got to be honest, but yeah, it's strange when it's taken away, do you know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, It's one of those things that you do eventually get used to, and they try and plumb fake sound into the cabin. And they also have like a pedestrian noise when you're near pedestrians. It is something you get used to eventually, but it's something that's hard to I think once it's not there'll you won't notice it's gone. So you will notice it when you get back into an older car.
Speaker 1: Do you know what's crazy? Our kids are not going to have art?
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, it.
Speaker 1: Isn't that weird? Say would you have like a VK commodore or something like that, All right, jump in. They'll just look at that and go, God, this is like a bloody puff and Billy Coltrane.
Speaker 2: Is that's right? They'll actually think it's the dumbest thing in the world that you had to put this combustible material in it and wait for it to burn and do stuff. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like you, it does make it an electric does make a petrol car feel dumb, doesn't it?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Just think about the moving parts. You've got so many moving parts and bearings that need lubrication, Like it is just this insanely comple think it's needlessly complex, and it's just so weird that that's just normal for us.
Speaker 1: I can't explain it better. I just thought it was really cool. Yeah, it's cool to look at, it is cool to drive. For me, if I wanted to get real picky, it is hard to kind of like. It's not the sort of car you can dart around in busy traffic. It's just not. And that's just the fact that it's so big in a platform yet it just doesn't feel big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you on that, And for me, I was just disappointed by the ride and that for me, I wouldn't be able to buy one based on the ride. The good news, though, is Kia has their version of this car come called the EV six, that will have Australian ride in handling tuning, and I'm hoping that is just what the Ionic five is missing.
Speaker 1: I think that's it. Have we missed anything? No, that's it. That's it. So now this is our wrap up section.
Speaker 2: Yes, way we box it up? Well?
Speaker 1: Can we?
Speaker 2: Just if you're listening to this right now, send us an email to contact the Drive Show dot com dat you let us know what you think of it. What do you want us to add? What he want us to remove? He's not allowed to say either Gordy or right.
Speaker 1: I got a bit of feedback. Yeah about one where I described your the inside of your tesla as it looks like where I go to get my vds, my my STDs checked. Someone's gone. But I quite like that. But what's the deal. I don't want to know where he gets the sdds checked? Yes, you do. You do need to know, because your mum gave them to me. Your mom gave me those STDs, and your dad gave me a few as well. But look, we can't talk about Jeffrey Epstein's island. I take constructive criticism really well.
Speaker 2: Don't you think just noticed?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so please send us an email, let us know what you want to hear, or what you like or don't like. We're always, yeah, keen for feedback.
Speaker 1: You know one thing, I think the complaints will be rolling and will be your primo shot.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, why oh, you've got a bit of a ten man, don't Yeah, I know that's back when I was allowed to go outside a child that I had to look after.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that. I think he wrapped up the ten filtered there a little bit. I think you gave it a bit of far, a little nudge, a little bit of something something give you the national GEOGRAPHICALOK, that'd be great. What's that emailing in I don't even know
Speaker 2: At contact at the Drive Show dot com, dot our use