Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Matt Trolop, a rat an editor for OZ open dot Com. Really looking forward to welcoming give Christy back next week. She's on her way back from Paris very soon after a great time at Roland Garras. But again this week, I'm joined by Victoria Rudnikov, producer for Tennis Australia and the Australian Open. Good to see Vic.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me again, Matt. It's a pleasure to be here as always.
Speaker 3: And I need to ask you, Matt, why did we sit down with Paul Kilderry today.
Speaker 1: Well, we had plenty to dive into with Paul after a great result for the Australians at Roland Garras last week. He is the director of Professional Tennis at Tennis Australia, so it was really cool to hear his insights about what the Aussies did in Paris and then looking forward to the grass court season where we've traditionally thrived. But then we got the chance to dive into his tennis story, which we found out is really unique and it goes back a long way.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 3: He was a great junior player he trained at the Volitary Academy, but even after his professional playing career taken on the roles as coach, agent, manager, tournament director of the Hotman Cup. I mean, there are so many to list on top of his current role now as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an incredible tennis journey and we hope you enjoy his story. Paul Kilderry, thanks very much for joining us today on the sit Down podcast.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I seen the sit Down before and I've never been invited to, so it's a real honor to be here.
Speaker 3: Oh you're welcome, and you're currently the director of Professional Tennis at THA.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us about your role and what that entails.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've been in this role for about three and a half years, I think, so basically my role is to help to be the conduit between the players and our and Tennis Australia. So I support all our players pretty much in the men and the women in the top two fifty so and part of that is overseeing Davis Cup, Billy Jenkin Cup, Olympic team, national teams.
Speaker 4: That's in the essence of my role. I guess. I've been at tenth Astralia now for over twenty years.
Speaker 5: So I do have strong interest in a lot of other areas of the business, whether that be tournaments or the pathway, and trying to support the team wherever I can.
Speaker 1: When you say support, like how does the support look?
Speaker 5: Giving advice and trying to you know, whether it be the tournament team, and trying to you know, really advocate for tournaments and for our pro players, and trying to just give my feedback on things that where I feel like we can really aim to improve.
Speaker 3: And speaking of some of our Aussie players, obviously this year we've had Tarlie Gibson have a bit of a breakout year at the Sunshine Double, then at Roland Garross. More recently, Adam Walton and Kim Berrell had some incredible wins over top ten players.
Speaker 2: What do you make of these results?
Speaker 5: Well, starting with tari I was in Indian World watching her play Qualities and she was down double match point.
Speaker 4: I think it was last round of qualities.
Speaker 5: And then you see, you know, a week later and she's in the quarter finals and it was just so good to see. You know, I'm originally from Persevn and Tally and her family since she's a young girl and to see her develop and really come out of a shell and start playing tennis like that, and you could just literally date by day see the self belief growing. That was pretty special for her from memory. She had three four top twenty wins that week, including one top ten win over Palini, so really amazing.
Speaker 4: Backed it up the next week with a fourth.
Speaker 5: Round run in Miami where she defeated Osaka again coming through qualifying. So so many wins, so many wins, So it's a great you know, and like I said, to see her just you know, evolving right in front of you, and you see her off court really gaining confidence. And you know, I give a lot of credit to her coach, Jared Barnt. I think he's doing a really great job with her this year. And you know, we've got we have a lot of co which is on the road and strength and conditioning stuff and physio stuff and all on the road with our players, and they do such a great job every time I come back from a tourn and I sort of admire the hard work they put in and our players are really fortunate to have such support.
Speaker 1: And the Roland Garrels piece had happened, I mean, like scoring two top ten wins in one day at Roland Garrels like Clay's not traditionally the surface at Australians like associate with as much success, but today it was really interesting. Talking to Casey de Laqua in the lead up, she said that a lot of the Aussies actually have a really good game for clay, and we saw that. I think we had the most into the second round in seven years or something that was six have got through. So are we better on clay than we think will help us going forward?
Speaker 5: It is the one probably Grand Slam where you sit there going I hope we get a few wins today because you just never know. And I think James Duckworth was the first player to get through on day one, which was nice, and Isla Tomlanovitch lost to heartb Maker on the same day. So you know, for years we had Sam Stozer who was a great arguably definitely her best surface was clay. When Sam Sam's Tubbins story when she first toured Europe, she didn't want to match the whole clay courts, so it does take a few years to get used to it. You know, every time I come home from the French Open, you just see I love watching tennis from Paris. You know, you just see the physicality of the sport, the shop making, the patients required, and it's just a brutal mental test out there. You know, it's hard to win a point at times, they'll learn a match and you just see what the players go through. So I really admire the way the game is played. Now we turn our attention to the grass, and digs tend to happen a little easier for us on the grass, which a lot of our players, like Tylie Gibson for example, grew up playing on grass in perse so it's sort of a much more natural thing for us.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, we were going to ask you that because I think the grass court season technically starts this week. The challenges start in the second week of the French and a lot of ossies will already be heading there. And traditionally we have had so much success. Is it just because of our well, culturally it's ingrained in Australian tennis. We used to play on grass, but a fair bit of grass still exists. Is that why just naturally more time on it, aspiring to Wimbledon, that kind of thing we tend to thrive on it.
Speaker 5: Our courts in Australia just typically quicker than clay courts, whether that be hard courts, you know, the hard courts we have here at Melbourne Parker quicker than a clay court. And there's a lot of synthetic grass still in New South Wales especially, so they're really quick. WA has a lot of grass courts, So around Australia there's just a splattering of faster courts, so it's a much more natural progression to grass and we have a lot of grass, so I don't think it holds fears for Australian players like it does for some of the Europeans who literally probably played two tournaments a year on grass with.
Speaker 3: Our Aussie players and Australian tennis in general. What do you think we can expect in the coming future.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, we've got some great young women who are really excited about their future. Certainly Tarlie who spoke about's already up to fifty.
Speaker 4: Five in the world. And you know, I think when you look.
Speaker 5: At her progression, there's no I don't think there's really a ceiling there for her at the moment. I think her just getting confidence and self belief and sometimes the Yussie players it does take a little longer to really get that ingrained self belief. So hopefully Tarlie can keep growing in those aspects. And you know, Emerson Jones is a very exciting prospect, Taylor Prest and Tarlie Ka Keenness. We've got a bunch of young women who are really exciting all in that age group. On the men's side of our top hundred, around top hundred players are sort of heading towards thirty now, so hopefully we can get a bunch of a few more years out of those players and some great results. And you know, Alex Diminar has been incredible for the last number of years and he's really leading the way from men. And it's been good to see Alex Epopron start to show some better form. He's struggling there for a little bit, but I think he's working his way through now and starting to playing much better and feel more confident.
Speaker 4: So you know, we're a little bit of a gap.
Speaker 5: I'd love to see some of our sort of eighteen to twenty two year olds really step up and start to show how good they can be. And obviously Cruz Hewitt is doing really well in his age group, and I think he hasn't played much juniors anymo, always moving on to the pro tour, and it's a you know, you start on the pro tour and you've got no ranking, and then you've got to I don't give your ranking, you know you got you've got to win matches. You just got to get out there, and it takes time. And you know, cruises seventeen and a half. He's a late December birth year in birthday, so he's.
Speaker 4: A young he's young for his age.
Speaker 5: I know he's going to play junior Wimbledon, but really focus on building his men's ranking. But he's winning a lot of matches all around the world and no doubt gaining great experience. A young boy I believe a year younger than Cruz. Taiki Takazawa who lives over at.
Speaker 4: The Nadal Academy. He's an exciting prospect.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've got a lot of you know, certainly some of our young junior team representatives have had a pretty good time recently as well, So hopefully that next wave can come through. And I still have really high hopes for you know, James mccabs.
Speaker 4: You feel secular.
Speaker 5: These boys have certainly got the potential, Pablo Marinko, but it does take time, and you know, you've got to keep getting better than all the time because it's really tough out there.
Speaker 1: You mentioned you grew up in Perth and your father was a professional player as well, and so I'm assuming is that how you discovered tennis. I think on your ATP profile it says you began hitting a balloon around at one and a half or something like that, so it sounds like tennis was like in your bones from a young age.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Dad was a tennis coach, a player coach. I think he was a stay coach, and so he ran a club and I just hung around the club. So basically from the time I could walk, I had a tennis racket in my hand. I actually got to play hit with like Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe when I was eight years of age and wow, and that was fine. At thirteen, I signed with IMG, so I I think I'd just won the fourteen and under national championships in Australia, signed with IMG, and then they moved my whole family from Perth to America. So Mark McCormack, who was the founder of IMG organize my father a job, the whole family moved from Perth. We moved to Florida and I went to Nick Boltari's tennis academy. So crazy to think, you know, I look back now and I think was the world smaller then it was? You know, like it just but coming from PERFCT just seems so far away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Just it's interesting you say that, like, so you got spot, you won the national championship. So but Matt mccormacks American.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I didn't tell you the whole story. So when I was did they find you? When I was eight? I hit with beil Borg and.
Speaker 5: His manager was on the side of the court and he saw me playing as an eight year old and as where was this in Perth? Yeah, And as a joke he sent a telegram to Mark McCormack at IMG and so I've just discovered the next big star tennis planer. We need to sign him up now. You know, today they would probably sign an eight year old, But this was, you know, nineteen eighty one or whenever it was.
Speaker 4: And Mark never forgot that.
Speaker 5: And if you knew Mark, who we ended up being really close family friends, he never forgot anything. And he met my father, you know, five years later on when my father was coaching Jenny Byrne, an Australian pro player, and he said, oh, there used to be a boy from Perth who was meant to be quite good. Do you know who it was? And my father said, I.
Speaker 4: Was my son.
Speaker 5: So when Mark in nineteen eighty seven, Mark came to the America's Cup which was in Perth, and he asked to see me play. And then after he saw me play, he basically offered my father a job and meet a scholarship to go to Nick Bolatari's tennis academ Wow.
Speaker 4: So it was pretty crazy.
Speaker 5: I had a sixteen year old sister, nineteen year old sister, so they had to pack up.
Speaker 4: And leave as well.
Speaker 5: The whole family moved to Florida for via tennis, which I look back noround I think, you know, crazy that, you know, but we sort of probably Mum and Dad probably felt they had nothing to lose and let's go for it. And you know, I thank them for that because it's certainly opened a lot of doors for the world we live in, you know, the opportunities that gave me. So I remember nineteen eighty seven, just after the US Open rolling up to Voltaris and three hundred and fifty kids there, and I didn't know anyone, but Nick was great to me. And but you know, I tend I go to my class. I was in class with Monica Sellus and wow, you know, Agacy was there, and Jim Currier and David Wheaton.
Speaker 4: You know, so many players were there that class.
Speaker 1: That's the thing we were going to talk to you about this because it was at the Bolitary Academy was famed and all of those people were there at the time, and subsequently players like Sharapova, cornicover and Sharapova came through.
Speaker 4: It as well.
Speaker 1: It was kind of the leading tennis academy. What was that like? So with all of those people there, what did that mean for who you were hitting against and training with and what did it do for your career progression going through Boltary?
Speaker 5: It was amazing, Like Nick was incredible to me. There were probably three hundred and fifty kids there, but there were probably twenty on scholarship who probably you know, got everything they needed. And I remember it was a bit of a hierarchical thing. You know, you're in group to be in group one was pretty cool, you know. And you in group one. Yeah, I was in group one, but you know, there'd be one one coach for Group one and in the after so you'd go there and you'd drill all morning. I was supposed to be a school but it's more I didn't go to school a lot. But in the mornings were drill a lot, and then the afternoons you'd play sets. So the coacher just roll out balls and you'd go with it against another Group one player. But Nick used to give me a lot of attention and a lot of private lessons, and he really looked after me.
Speaker 4: Probably helped that.
Speaker 5: Mart McCormack called him, who owned the academy, and said, you've got to look after this kid.
Speaker 4: But he was amazing to me, and we stayed friends. You know.
Speaker 5: I used to hear from him right up until he's passing. So he was terrific to me. There were just so many players going through there and coaches, and really opened up a whole new world meeting a lot of people in tennis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, And I think maybe this, I don't think this is a coincidence.
Speaker 4: Maybe it is.
Speaker 1: But your best result on tour, so when you started playing in the early nineties. Your best result you made the Miami Master's fourth round in ninety five, was that you knew Florida. Like it's right, isn't it right. It's not super close to voluntary, but similar conditions that condition.
Speaker 4: I played well there.
Speaker 1: To be honest, you played well there frequently, like because you also had really good doubles results there too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got a good partner, It's actually true. I did get a good part of that.
Speaker 5: So I sort of started on the tour about ninety one, so I was number five junior in the world. I lost to Thomas Enquist in the seventies of junior women. And I remember that because I saw him last week. He was coaching Verytidi in Paris, and he loves reminding me how he kicked my butt in Sely So I couldn't.
Speaker 4: Play a grasp, but I still killed you.
Speaker 2: So we'll never let you forget that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, So then I but ninety three it was first time I quali for a Grand Slam, which was Wimbledon, and I call it on one court in pat Raft right next to me. I lost second round and he went onto the third round, where he lost to Agacy instead of ninety four is to make my way probably round to one in the world.
Speaker 4: Ninety five I played.
Speaker 5: I started to get some momentum at the back of ninety four, I think, and then ninety five I started the year pretty well. I lost in chang first round of the Aussie Open here that year in four sets, but that was a fun experience, and then played well in Miami.
Speaker 4: I beat.
Speaker 5: Richard Kraichek, who was top ten, and Aaron Krickstein. Yeah, so that was a good win. And then the next year, actually broke my knee, broke my leg really where the knee meets the leg meets the knee.
Speaker 4: So that set me back pretty badly.
Speaker 5: So I probably barely played for a year after that, but I did play the next year. I did play Miami in doubles like you referenced, and we made the court. I was playing with Wayne for Era and we made the quarterfinals. But I can't tell you how badly I was playing and how I still couldn't move properly, but he was playing unbelievable. And again last week in Paris, I bubbed into Paul Harhu's who and we beat Elting Hahu's They were number one in the world. It was almost like I shouldn't have got the prize money or the points because Wayne for.
Speaker 4: Her was playing that well. I was that bad, but.
Speaker 5: We happened to sneak a wins. Yeah, it was a great tournament. I've been to the new site, but it was really good at keep a Skating.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned two of those wins, Christine and Krychik. You also beat Pat I think in Tokyo.
Speaker 4: I beat Rafter. Yeah, a couple of times in Tokyo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I were one of those matches perhaps like your is that your most memorable or like you kind of reference you were playing you kind of hit your stride in mid nineties. When was your what was your best result?
Speaker 5: I think ninety four it was when I beat Pat and he sort of had a break through a year. We'd played juniors together since we're eleven when we first met, and I'd always been beaten him. I don't think I ever lost to him, So when we did play in the pros, I always felt like, even though he was top twenty and I was probably one hundred and fifty or whatever, I always felt like, you know, you had that on your rafter.
Speaker 4: He's terrible. You know, I always felt like I.
Speaker 5: Had a pretty good opportunity to beat and I knew his game very well, and I did get him that day in Toto.
Speaker 4: Which was good.
Speaker 5: I actually beat him, and he talks about it a little bit. He was traveling with his mother in I think it was ninety two, and we played in Tokyo as well, but in the qualities, and I beat him there, and I remember he felt like he was never going to get there.
Speaker 4: It was like that period of because Pat.
Speaker 5: Wasn't a great junior, but he grew a ton, like when he was eighteen nineteen years of age, all of a sudden, this not huge of a kid who tried to serve and volley was now a huge, really tall, strong, great athlete servant volley. And he was like this transformation of you know, of his game and you.
Speaker 4: Know, sort of playing. I remember we played doubles.
Speaker 5: I think at ninety three at the AO, and he's just serving huge.
Speaker 4: I was like, where's this come from?
Speaker 5: This is a little pat rafter who's now a big pat Raftery.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, a lot of men.
Speaker 1: No, But in terms of like in terms of a memory or a peak, yeah, that was y. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that was probably the best period of my life where I was playing quite well and starting to feel like I really belonged on the main tour. Obviously, hurting my knee wasn't ideal at a young age, and I was actually in the ninety six I was playing. My knee had been bothering me for a few years. In ninety six at Wimbledon, I was playing doubles with Scott Davis and I slipped and my knee really blew up, and I kept playing. I went to Newport and I was made. I wasn't really I couldn't really play singles because my neigh was saw but I think it did. Like finally Newport doubles. Then I had a raft to play with me history, you know, every now and then helped me out. So we played Washington and La and I think we made the Semis and I got to the US Open. I was in the quarters of the mixed doubles, but I could not lift my nee at all, and I went to the I went to the.
Speaker 4: Finally went and got an mr.
Speaker 5: This is after about a year of having a sawne and they're like, you cannot play the next match you've got to go and get to operate and on. So I went, and by then it was pretty irreversible. The effects same injury, incidentally, that Kyle Edmond had which ended his career. Very difficult one to come back from, especially when it had got to the stage that it got to. I look at our young players today and we have a medical team around and physios, strength and conditioning coaches. I would have loved the you know, just to have known that, Okay, your knee is really bad, you know, a lot earlier would have it would have been nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's part of them, you know.
Speaker 5: I look at my career in tennis, so I'm still working in tennis, and I feel incredibly fortunate.
Speaker 4: That's just part of the part of the journey.
Speaker 3: And when you look back on your playing career, do you have an opponent do you that you thought was the toughest to play?
Speaker 4: I wasn't that good, So there's a lot of tougher bonus.
Speaker 1: But pretty amazing that you're talking about. That's like sampress agacy career. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Former classmates.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, some players, especially because after I did my now I mainly focused on doubles. But I just couldn't really train any more to the ability that I needed to, but there was I typically struggled with really good returners like a Jonus Bjorkman or Okay, I hated playing those cars because I wasn't not tall, and it's really hard to hurt them, and it's sort of if they can just nullify myself straight away.
Speaker 4: I was like, this ain't good.
Speaker 5: But I played Chang a couple of times, and he was obviously great.
Speaker 2: Obviously touched on your doubles career.
Speaker 3: Great doubles career with titles on all surfaces.
Speaker 1: That's a Wikipedia set, that's right, it would be yeah, yeah, oh, how's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how proud of you thought about it?
Speaker 4: How proud of ah?
Speaker 5: I don't really think about it a lot, to be honest, I always wanted to be a top singles plan. So you sort of it's funny, you know, I look, if I look as a kid, you're I guess when you're a really good young junior two, you sort of there's this expectation that goes whether that you'll naturally get top hundred and you'll roll into the top fifty, and then you'll do this and you know, and that's sort of it almost becomes a benchmark of what is expected or so, you know. I think when you don't achieve some of those goals that whether it's other people's spectation or what you put on yourself, it's hard to remember how it all fits. But you know, you always feel like I should have done that, or I could have done that, I could have done better.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed doubles and its nice to win.
Speaker 5: A few titles. I was sort of probably very lucky to win my first title. I do remember that because I was playing with a guy. Pavo is a lovely guy from Czech Republic, and I didn't even really know him. We signed in doubles in her Toogenbosch, which is next week or so. First round we're playing Grant Connell and Barron back six four five two double breakdown and we won. Next round we were down a set and break and we won. Then the Semis we were playing Paul har Houston check Shark and we won seven six in the third and the final we beat Daniel Nesta and Andrews Yarratt's so amazing wins never met before.
Speaker 1: We are incredible doubles.
Speaker 5: Well, we won and like like I say, we literally should I've got past first round. So yeah, that was a memorable first title. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: And did you have much of a plan for what you wanted to do post professional playing career?
Speaker 5: I did, but it all sort of went out the window a little bit. I wanted to work for IMG and be a sports and manic player manager, so on. I think it was around September fifth, two thousand and one, I met with Martin McCormack in his New York office and said, I'm not going to play anymore, and he said, no problem, I want you to be an agent for IMG. In February. February come and work for moved to Cleveland and we'll train you to be an agent and then we'll you know, we'll work out what we do after that, but come and live in Cleveland for a couple of years.
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, great, so I'll do that. You know.
Speaker 5: Six days later, September eleventh happened. I was back in Perth. The world went into the company into a hiring freeze, so they stopped said there's no jobs now. So I was like, okay, what am I going to do? And then I think in January Mark he had a stroke from memory and passed away not long after, so sort of my world.
Speaker 4: My media plans changed.
Speaker 5: So that's how I got into coaching, Yeah, at that time, because everything I thought I was going to had now changed, so started coaching. I was lucky enough to get a job in coaching Taylor Dent, which I really enjoyed, and then sort of but I didn't want to be back out on the tour for thirty five weeks a year, so I got yeah into coaching and then ended up in Melbourne and then ended up here in Tas So I've yeah, been very lucky to be here for twenty years and also do a number of different roles, which has been exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was it important for you to stay close to the game.
Speaker 5: It's probably all I knew, really, Yeah, it probably wasn't never in front of mine, you know.
Speaker 4: I went.
Speaker 5: It was really difficult transition when I stopped playing because I didn't, like I said, I thought I knew what I was going to.
Speaker 4: Do, and then that all changed.
Speaker 5: And then I think it was two thousand and three, I'd stopped coaching and I was living back in Perth and I went for a job at the Freemantle doccers because I loved footy sales. Roll there surely though, but I didn't even know how to turn that computer on. But I went for the job and had four interviews, so I must have been closed. And on my fourth interview, I'm in the Freemantal doctors boardroom with the lady and she said would you like a ward?
Speaker 4: And I was really nervous.
Speaker 5: I reached across and knocked the juger water right across the I didn't get the job, and.
Speaker 4: Then a month later I was, oh god, what about to do?
Speaker 5: And Hopman Cup sales we all came up and I went for that and I thought, surely I'm going.
Speaker 4: To get this choice.
Speaker 5: I didn't get it, but yeah, ironically I ended up torn of it a few years later, so yeah, it's funny how it goes. So later that year, i'd been living in Perth and so I hadn't worked for a year or so. My best mate at the time, Andrew Floren.
Speaker 4: Called me, goes come to Melbourne. I was like, I'll come, come and.
Speaker 5: Live in Melbourne for a while and incidentally roll South the area tennis club. We're looking for a new coach. So Andrew and myself and another Andrew Andrew McClean. We applied for the role and got it. So okay, I got back into tennis coaching and I was there a couple of years, which was great, and then Craig Tylie asked me to come and work here at Tennis. So I haven't been able to get rid of me.
Speaker 3: And speaking of coaching, you coached and worked with Elisha Mullick for a while as well.
Speaker 2: What was that experience.
Speaker 5: I loved coaching Alisha. She's a great person. If anyone knows Alicia, they know she's such a great person. I when Alisha was doing her best, she was top ten. Her coach was David Taylor, but when every time she'd come back to Melbourne, I would help her in Melbourne. So David was living in Europe at the time, and so I worked quite well. And then when David and Alisha stopped working together, Alisha asked me to coach her. So yeah, as you said, I loved it. When I was her primary coach, she was coming back from her illness, so it there were challenging times with her play and really it was a really debilitating illness. I think when you're a coach, you just want the person you're working with to give their best every day, and she did. And there was some really dark periods of play for a while there, but she just kept working and working and working, and you know, she had to re teach herself all her balance and her you know, her vision when she'd pick up the ball in flight, it all changed for her. So she had to relearn so many things, and she did incredibly well from such a debilitating illness to get back and we you know, from I think our first trip she didn't want to match, maybe not a set, and then you know, by you know, eight nine months later, she was back in the top fifty in the world. She won a Grand Slam in doubles and finally win Woom Mix and things started to really you know, she started to play some great tennis, and which was exciting and the testament to her because she worked so hard and she'd come to the courts prepared, she knew what she wanted to do. She just gave her all all the time, and we got along really well off the court as well. So that was a fun period.
Speaker 1: And then you did end up getting into athlete management because after Alicia, you had you were Sam Stows's Were you her manager or her agents? Is it or is it an interchangeable term.
Speaker 4: I think it's probably in change.
Speaker 5: Okay, maybe for some Hollywood star they have an agent agent age, but certainly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did that happen? How did you get back into that space that you were originally trying to get to?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 5: You may remember in I can't remember what year it was, Casey de Laqua did well at the AO. She reached the fourth round and.
Speaker 1: That was two thousand and eight. We actually had her on and showed her beating Maresmo on the screen.
Speaker 4: It was incredible with her grandmother and Crow. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So Casey didn't have an agent, and she didn't even have a clothing sponsor, and I was working here and Craig knew that I really wanted to get into that space. And I think Casey won. She went to the press and said, I just buy my clothes from Target.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then all of a sudden, Target a calling and saying, you know, we'd love to sponsor her. And it was just a really opportune moment for me to help Casey.
Speaker 4: And so that's how it started.
Speaker 5: So I went in and I remember calling Crayon and go target want to meet me for casey and he goes, go on go. I said, can I take someone with me? He says, no, you'll learn a lot more on your own, okay, which was advice. Yeah, and it was it was, And you know, then all of a sudden, the other opportunities and things sort of different. Other players were approaching me to help them because they saw some good results. And so the US Open came around that year and Sam Stows didn't have an agent. I think she was seventy in the world at the time, and she asked me to help her, and you know, I do remember at the time thinking, yeah, I wonder what I'm going to do for it, you know. But within a year, I think she finished the next year thirteen in the world, and then six and six the next two years after that. So that was a you know, I really enjoyed that period of time in a lot of ways. I was learning on the job as well. You know, I did have a lot of contacts in the industry to lean on, and it was incredible experience. And yeah, I was also working on the Hopman Cup as well at that time, so that getting the blend of both was probably a really rewarding part of my.
Speaker 4: Work life balance of that time.
Speaker 5: And I love managing Sam as well as you know, all the players. You develop a real bond with the players and just to be able to help them with their career, and the commercial side was one aspect of it, which obviously helps them as well, but to be able to, you know, try to find ways to improve their tennis and you know, like a player like Sam was always very focused on how can I win, for example, the French And you know, when you're top ten in the world, you do get a lot of offers to play events for a lot of money. But Sam would always know if I if it's going to hurt my preparation in Paris, I'm not going to do it because that's that month. That money might be one extra match in Paris I'm going to win, you know. So it was always really performance based, which was always really refreshing. A comment end in Sam winning the USO, which was pretty exciting. I mean, probably the craziest time was the twenty ten French Open when she lost in the final and she'd never been in a Grand Slam final before her coach had never coached a player in a Grand Slam final. I'd never managed anyone in a Grand Slame final, so it's just chaos, you know. And I remember Kevin Rudd was calling all the time, trying to get a hold of her. There was Eddie McGuire.
Speaker 4: Calling all the time. People were flying all around the world.
Speaker 1: There was diner parents as well.
Speaker 3: Come.
Speaker 5: I think Eddie might have organized the parents to fly first on em it's over.
Speaker 4: There was just chaos, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's so many things going on and really different, and I think we all walked away.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. We learned a.
Speaker 5: Lot those few days because it was a bit cater and Sam didn't play her best in the final. Francesca Skip only played terrific. But Sam, you know, she'd beaten Hennan Yankovic and Serena three days in a or three matches in a row.
Speaker 1: It was the best run to a final almost.
Speaker 5: It was an incredible, incredible and she went in his hot favorite and didn't quite deliver. But fast forward to the US Open twenty eleven, and it was just a totally different feeling.
Speaker 4: Like it was. We were just all we'd been there before.
Speaker 5: We knew that no outsuch, noise, just keep in a I remember the day, Sam on the way to the final against Serena. So its tenth anniversaries of nine to eleven huge, playing Serena at night at the US Open, and Sam was just so locked in, Like it was She's like singing in the car.
Speaker 4: She was relaxed. It was just completely different.
Speaker 5: You start with these players and Sam certainly one of them, and a young player and trying to find their way, and you just see them grow and grow and grow. And for her to culminate that day in New York and the biggest stage, yeah, and to beat the number and playing you know, the biggest name in the sport, it was like this culmination. But it's the journey of the person as much as the player, you know, And that was pretty really nice to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well so keeping all of that in mind, so you've told us you've you've basically been involved in every part of the sport in some way, from a player to a coach, to an athlete manager to a tournament director and an administrator and now you're working in the high performance space.
Speaker 4: Yeah every Yeah, it's probably quite unique.
Speaker 1: Is I would think so incredible? So what like.
Speaker 4: You average at everything? They keep moving you on.
Speaker 1: What we were going to ask. We were interested to know, though, like what what's been your favorite What's been the most rewarding? Is that hard to answer.
Speaker 5: I think the most rewarding has probably been I love being a player manager, you know, Like I talk about the US Open victory with Sam something me out there playing clearly, but I've been playing. Playing is playing, and that's what you start out.
Speaker 4: That's but.
Speaker 5: I think in terms of post tennis, I think probably being a player manager was really good. I feel really lucky, incredibly fortunate to have all those experiences. I loved it, and I've loved most nearly every part of each job.
Speaker 4: You know. I love coaching Taylor Dan.
Speaker 5: I love coaching at Leisha Mollek I. I remember when Alisha fired me, I thought, oh my god, what am.
Speaker 4: I going to do now?
Speaker 5: And I was given a couple of young boys to coach, who you know, sort of fourteen sixteen years of age, and I really enjoyed coaching them to if the efforts there and the relationships there, and you can help them and you see development, it's really rewarding. So and that was a bit of a shock to me at the time because I'd gone from coaching Alisha at Grand slams to going to you know, futures events in other countries coaching these young boys. But as long as the efforts there, it was quite rewarding. So I think every role I've had, I've really quite enjoyed.
Speaker 1: Well, this has been awesome Keller. Thanks so much for joining us on the sit Down. And yeah, you never know when the next time might be in the high performance face that goes by Sam goes and gets to that pinnacle. So yeah, it's been It was really cool to hear all of that.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Well big, wasn't it awesome to dive into the tennis story of someone who's basically worn like every hat in the sport? I just loved his.
Speaker 3: Stories and being caught side for Sam Stos's win at the US Open, I mean that is just incredible. Speaking of all those great moments and memories, it really just shows you that he's one of the best connected people in the whole sport.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that definitely came across. We'll be back again next week with another episode of the sit Down. Please remember to subscribe so you never miss an episode when it lands in your feet. And if you could leave us a rating or a review. We'd love that too, See you soon, big, see you