Speaker 1: Welcome back to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: This is another bonus episode featuring a quick chat with the host of Channel ten's Amazing Race, Bo Ryan. Australia fell in love with Bo through his sporting career.
Speaker 1: However, there was always.
Speaker 2: More to this Aussie legend than being a former professional rugby league footballer. His personality and likability led him to a fantastic run with the footy show, proving his worth in front of the camera and making him one of the country's most likable TV personalities.
Speaker 1: He is somewhat of a bloke's bloke.
Speaker 2: And certainly has a fan base with the ladies, but with two adoring kids and a gorgeous wife, it's fair to say he's living the Aussie dream. Amazing Race is the perfect gig for Bo Ryan, and we're about to find out why. This year's Amazing Race is winning the ratings and proving its place in the TV Guide as must watch viewing.
Speaker 1: I'd like to welcome to.
Speaker 2: The show Australia's most charming TV host, Bo Ryan.
Speaker 3: I think the casting is key.
Speaker 1: He always puts his four on the line for the sake of entertainment.
Speaker 3: It's a massive show, it's a massive production.
Speaker 1: This week. It's bas been.
Speaker 3: The show just keeps getting better and better and I'm super proud of it. Right visions of it blight in one of the people's foots off. This is the amazing race because you're only really as strong as your weakest lip.
Speaker 1: You know, mate, how are you good?
Speaker 3: Thank you? Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: The series is increasing in popularity as it goes along. Do you think the success in this series is the casting or the fact that it's filmed here in Australia or maybe you know, is it your great legs?
Speaker 3: But well, the first two I don't agree about the third one. I've got skinny legs, which I'd rather big, strong legs. But the casting sensational. I said it about last year. Our casting last year was brilliant, but even better this season. But I think this is shining a light even though we're still in Queensland. We're about to get down and dirty and hit the top end and shine a light on a lot of places people don't know a lot about, especially living down here on the southern part of the country. The landscapes are amazing in The show is getting better up, especially when we get to the middle of the country and then down to Port Lincoln and to Tasmania. It just goes to another level. Plenty of drama. But to answer your question, mate, I think the casting is Kenya.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about how beautiful Australia looks in this season of Amazing Race. It looks like you're watching the national geographics. I mean, have we come a long way with the way in which we shoot these shows?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, I mean I guess people many many years ago, we just when reality TV started to take off in Australia and everyone was just happy to watch people. You've got to add a little bit more. You've got to Obviously, our show is massive. You know, it's a massive show. It's a massive production. But yeah, we didn't spare any expense filming it. We had, you know, hundreds of camera crew and audio people. Our drone goist Scottie who is Jackie O's brother, made the shots look as good as a tourism ad. And I've seen the Tourism mat. I'm actually in the Tourism mat. So the shots on our show as good as the Tourism Australia campaign. And again when we get to the middle of the country, man, it only gets better. You got to remember we're just that. We're just on the coast at the moment, at the top of the Queensland with Sundays which are beautiful. But the show just keeps getting better and better and I'm super proud of it.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Dar with everyone. Queensland holiday is over and the race goes into one for drive in the ante, but with a surprise twist.
Speaker 3: The curveball none of us expected.
Speaker 4: And the kitchen nightmare horned spelled me in for a race, baby, try it.
Speaker 2: We just cut it. Had you competed in the show, who would you have picked as your partner because I was thinking about it, or would you go in? Would you have competed with your wife? Or would car have been?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Your best friend Bruno? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, Bruno would be good because you got to pick someone with opposite strengths and we are very similar, but we are so different.
Speaker 2: Just to give everyone a little bit of context, your best mate is Bruno Brochet, most famous for being Carl Sanderland's manager, but also for being the list king. You know, he creates some controversial top ten lists.
Speaker 1: But you and Bruno, oh.
Speaker 3: He is super intelligent. He can speak many languages. French I think is his first language. That's why I can't Understandhi most of the time, or anyone he speaks. But he's super educated. Big problem solver. I'd probably look after the athletic stuff, you know what I mean, the strength and the swimming and all the running, because you're only really as strong as your weakest thing. But the thing about roadblocks is you pick one one team member to partake, so I think it'd be a perfect mix. The problem for us is probably we both get very We wouldn't I don't think we'd argue. I don't think we'd argue. We might clash. The only time we'd clash is he's probably working with other teams. I reckon he's actually borderline psycho because he's too smart. Bruno, same as me. I'm not that smart at a borderline psycho, but he is. Yeah, he's too smart for his own goods. So he'd probably get too far ahead of the other races. You know, he's already always a step ahead of me, But he'd probably get too far ahead of the races and probably lead us off.
Speaker 2: A cliff, which isn't going to help you win the show. You know, sabotage and salvage is really quite different, and I really like this element. I feel like it would be a bit of a struggle to ask you who you would allocate, you know, those two things too out of the current cast. But if we talked about someone that everyone knows, like maybe the Australian state premiers, like Anastasia Paliche or Daniel Andrews or Gladys Buragically, and who would you offer to offer the sabotage and the salvage too?
Speaker 3: And you will issue a salvage which will give a team a massive advantage, or a sabotage which will clearly slow a team down. Ond salvage Gladys, you know, that's our local she's our local girl. I love Gladys, big fan. I'm actually a big fan of Palachet too. Actually, i'd probably sabotage. Who's the dub you away premier.
Speaker 1: That would be Mark McGowan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's who I'd hit with him with that because we couldn't get in there for the show, so they're not hit him with that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Amazing, amazing, And then maybe even who gets the first class pass, well.
Speaker 3: First class pass, who ever finishes first. Gladys Man, I'm a staunch Gladys guy. I love Gladys love New South Wales, got my wife's and queenslanda so she would have gone Palichet. But yeah, I'll go first class pass with Gladys. I'd probably go. I'd probably go with her. We'd probably go to a nice seafood restaurant, followed by maybe a long black, some nice coffee, maybe a long walk after it.
Speaker 1: And then is this an invitation?
Speaker 3: No, no, this is just what I do. Yeah, full married.
Speaker 2: I'm still recovering from Brendan and Jackson's unfortunate underwater experience. I'm still holding my breath.
Speaker 3: The first five minutes as good as go, but pretty quickly started getting really really contified. And then just hit me, I mean I do again, Like you said, I do all the challenges. So I did that one, and I was down there. We had all these you know, Japanese divers who were like elite divers, probably about half a dozen. I haven't told the story. Actually I was under deep. It said it was five meters, but I reckon it would have got to about eight meters in strong currents. Man, and I was delivering a piece to camera and you're not really you're meant to You're meant to breed slowly under there and stay calm, so obviously speaking, and it was a really long piece about the reef and the ecosystem made I was tripping and then all I remember the second time I went down there, I was doing the piece and they said get it out, get it out, and I just was sort of blacking out and I just got collared by one of the Japanese divers to pull me out and we had to start it yain. So I was like very close to blacking out.
Speaker 1: So you can kind of understand, you know, that experience for Jacko.
Speaker 3: They're all saying to stay calm on boat, but a lot of those people aren't under there with you. It's just about you know, it was probably half a dozen divers and then you're in that suit and it gets foggy and you can for yourself getting very lightheaded. But yeah, I thought they'd man just to get in there and sept for and jester fully, because I was under there for about half an hour, I couldn't find the actual coal first when I started, and I know I just had to go and grab the clue, but big ups them for finishing it.
Speaker 2: Man, I think it's amazing that you've been trying out all these challenges. I think that's a testament to who you are and why you resonate as the host of this show.
Speaker 1: I think that's just funny.
Speaker 3: It's important to give it some context. I got a lot of friends and family think they'd kill it, but just give it a bit of perspective.
Speaker 2: You know, were you drawn to any of the teams straight away? Because, like for me, I think that I'm really enjoying sky Blue and Jake, and I think that they're great because the chemistry between the siblings, you know, and I think that they're sort of right or die attitude.
Speaker 1: Who were you drawn to first?
Speaker 3: Probably Joe Bell and RANI. First, yeah, father and daughter, and then Joe Bell said she's a big fan of me and spoke about my daughter, which made me obviously miss him that I had a lot of love for them. If I'm going to be honest.
Speaker 1: What's it like a fun story that you've walked away with us? Is how?
Speaker 2: And the interview with everybody is I always ask for something, you know, the go to story that you tell around the dinner table to entertain people from filming this series, what's something that is something that's kind of out of this world that's happened that you've told your mates, like, oh, you won't believe this, Like it could be something funny or something mind blowingly interesting.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's a good question. Then that is a good question. Probably. I saw the other day. It was on my Instagram. I put it on Facebook, and that where I saw a shark. We saw plenty of sharks on Green Island, and I filmed the shark undergo underneath the wharf there near us. It was only a couple of meters like a red shark, but still, you know that can rip your calf off. And these swimmers got really close to it and weren't really listening. I don't know if they were backpack as a wolf, but they just kept circling, like going pretty close to the shark and they saw it. But I don't know. I just had visions of a blight in one of the people's foots off and I just couldn't shake it. It happened a lot, but I just kept saying it in my mind to play over and over and again.
Speaker 2: Well, we're halfway through the series and it's doing really well and I can't wait to keep watching. Is there anything that we can look forward to? Can you give us something that's not a spoiler, it's something we can.
Speaker 3: We got a couple of surprises. We got a couple of surprise, especially when we get to Darwin and then later on in the show inporting some of the teams which are going to turn the whole show on its head. Yeah, a bit of drama, which is good reality TV without drama.
Speaker 2: I'm just now going to wait for one of these sharks to throw a glass of water in someone's face like they do on The Housewives.
Speaker 1: You know, good reality TV drama.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well both's got sharks.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.