Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the sit Down. I'm Viv Christie, Managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine and.
Speaker 2: I'm Metrolope, a writer an editor for oz open dot com and Viv why are we sitting down this week with Juel Fonseca, Well, Matt.
Speaker 1: I had a chance to sit down with Joo at the Brisbane International at the start of this season, and he's of course one of the most exciting young players in tennis from outside the top one hundred at the start of last year, he rose to world number twenty five and yeah, on the back of some incredible results, big wins, amazing fanfare and just a fantastic game to watch as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the great stories of season twenty five his rise. I obviously wasn't here for this interview, so I was listening to it for the first time, so that was fantastic for me. I really enjoyed it. But also the timing's perfect because Juo has just reached the fourth round at Indian Wells last week, He's best ever result at a Masters tournament and after a bit of a slow start to the season because of an injury interruption, it kind of looks like he's building that momentum back up again. So it's really exciting to see what he did last week, and yeah, sets the stage for an exciting season.
Speaker 1: Gel fun Sikov, thank you for joining us on the sit down.
Speaker 3: It's a pleasure being here, pleasure meeting you, and yeah, excited to talk.
Speaker 1: And this time last year you were ranked around number one forty five, and you know you launched an incredible breakout year at the Canberra International. He had a chance to sort of stop and think about what you've achieved.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, there was a period I think after reopened that I had a time to reflect a little bit what happened, because I mean I won the Nection and then Camber and I did a pretty good run in Australian Open, and after I went to South America tour Juan Brunos Aires, and after reopen I had some time and to reflect in it because everything just started going week after a week just pretty good. So so yeah, but now I'll say it was a I mean a wonderful season. My expectations was was lower than well, everything happened and and yeah, I just pretty pretty excited and pretty happy that everything that happened to me in those past months, and uh, just pretty excited for what's coming. Uh, I'm playing glovel, I'm playing good tennis and confident with my tennis. So so yeah, what have.
Speaker 1: You learned about yourself in the last year?
Speaker 3: I would say, I think due all from last the boats from the beginning of the year, and the draw now is much more mature and much more experienced, and and yeah I got to to meet uh the great players and uh got to got to know different tournaments to in places. I understand a little bit how to play with the five sets. I'll say I'm a little bit more experienced than from last year. So so yeah, I'll say I'm I'm happy with myself of course evolving as a person and as a player. So but yeah, very happy the way the way the things are handling.
Speaker 1: Just on some of your highlights from the past year. I mean, you qualified for these Joint Open, you upset Andre Ruble in the first round, you want two titles, You had success at challenger level. What what stands out the mist for you?
Speaker 3: I think rube Lev was where I started. Everything. I think was where like I think the players and I'll say, the world to tennis tour and get to know a little bit more about me. And you know, I was where my confidence was pretty high, and I knew that I could do some great things and that my leave was there. I just needed maybe time and experience. So that was one highlight. And Buenos aidas my first title. It meant a lot. I was well playing for almost say moms on hard and then practice two three days and played the Buenos Aids, so it was a special tournament. I played really well, and yeah, that was also a highlight. And and of course Basil finishing the year. I think it was pretty good moments for me and that I played such a good level.
Speaker 1: If you take a step back that Australian Open breakthrough, you actually qualified for the Australian Open last year. How important was it to qualify? Like how much did that help you?
Speaker 3: I think I mean a lot. I played the US Open in twenty twenty four the qualities and I lost two in the third third drama qualities and it hurt a little bit. And because I was playing good and then well, it was difficult. But on the Australian Open, just wanted so much to to play my first mandra and I was just super happy that I got it. I played such a good level. I was feeling good. Like I said, we went to was then action and then camera and then after the qualie. So meant to me a lot to start the season, getting to play my well, doing my debut on the mendra of a Grand Slam.
Speaker 1: And everywhere you go, including at the Astraine opened, there's sort of huge fanfare and just such a great atmosphere. How much do you enjoy that?
Speaker 3: Well, I know that now. I just love playing of the crowd. But like the early drive, from like thirteen years old, they're fourteen, he was more shy and he didn't like very much the crowd. He stayed a little bit more tense. But nowadays I just love it. I think the support that they bring me when I'm winning, winning or losing is just very positive and andy know when I'm winning there they are there to keep me folks and like keep hungry for more. And when I'm losing, they just gives me like motivations to not not think about negative things and keep positive and keep believing. So so yeah, I just love playing with them and they helped me a lot.
Speaker 1: What changed for you when you said you were shy. Was there any change?
Speaker 3: I think was the experience to play with the crowd and to see the benefits that they bring you and not like the negative things like their team for you. You need to win, you have the obligation. They're putting expectations, they're putting pressure. Now, it's just they're there to support and and that's a hopeful. Well, unfortunately I'm not gonna win all the matches. We all know that, but yeah, I'm there to to put one hundred percent. So they're tuning there and it just need to to use them as as I can to in the positive way.
Speaker 1: And have you had any unusual experiences with fans along the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think kids they're super excited and it's just nice to see. Well, there's some players there, there are some fans that they said that they came from well Brazil to Australia just to see me. It's just it's just super nice to have this support and it's just amazing to have their the support from the kids, kids saying that I inspire them. It's just it's just amazing and hopefully I can do some great stuff for this sport and keep inspiring them.
Speaker 1: What what's it like to be a role model at such a young age.
Speaker 3: I don't say like that. I just say like I'm a player doing my my my work and and getting to do great things for this amazing sport and like I said, inspiring kids. But at the same time, it's just cool to like to see the like people just stop you. Uh well, I'll say more. In Brazil, the people saw you when you go to a restaurant or just passing on the street and once take a picture of saying that good luck in the next ram. Is just pretty nice to to see this from from other people. Just like getting to know you and and wishing them all the beast is just super nice. And but yeah, i'd like they're there. Sometimes it's just like you want to stay private with something and oh it's just but I think in the positive way is just super nice and and then.
Speaker 1: I enjoy it's not just the fans who are taking night. You also had a chance to meet with Roger Federer at the Laver Cup. Describe that experience.
Speaker 3: Oh, for me, it was I mean amazing. Just getting to know my idol was just I think that I'm I'm not gonna I'm gonna remember for for a long long time and and now if my hands were shaking, I was super nervous, and and now I was just super great. Uh he's a fantastic guy, and uh, you know, we had a quick chat and just amazing and I really like it was an amazing experience.
Speaker 1: What about the Team World captain Andre Agacy? What did you learn from him?
Speaker 3: Pretty much? Actually, I think the experience that both Andre and Pat bring me and this amazing week was the experience of playing on tour. The stories some things that they talked and we we we got. I didn't know them before before this week, and I was a little bit nervous how I was going. And they were super nice guys, and they helped me a lot during that week, and and I was pretty nice chats and and yeah, both of them are pretty nice guys.
Speaker 1: Took us through your relationship with Gasta Vocushion.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm at Gustavo in twenty twenty four Davis Cup when we played in Brazil. He went there to talk with the team and and uh, well he said some great things about playing Davis Cup and while representing our country, and uh, after we had a quick chat and he's not very much into the tennis world. But the the Google figure is just amazing. The compassion that he has talking to well, I mean, the charisma that he has is just amazing. He's a he I don not only for both tennis world, but like the whole the whole Brazilian culture. So so yeah, it's just uh an idol for all of us. And I would say, well, he's just an idol, and I just look at him like as a like the an athlete that I want to be in the future.
Speaker 1: Who else has been influential in your career?
Speaker 3: I'll say my parents, and they they helped me a lot in the well and everything that they they put me in this amazing sport. And well, they were always there to support me. Whenever decision and whenever moment that I had that they they were there. So so I put this there. I'll put them in the in this in this answer because they were there always for me and cheering for me, and and yeah, because of them, I'm playing the sport.
Speaker 1: I know that in the past you've spoken about Federer and Rafael Nadal as players that you really admire and you really love their rivalry. Who would you like to see become. If you were to have a great rivalry like that, who would you like to be your rival?
Speaker 3: Well, hopefully right now, say Johnny Can, carlosm Maybe in a few few years I can play in the same level as them. Of course, it's it's a long path and and it's a long way to be there. We still need to evolve a lot of stuff. But at the same time, it's where I want to be and it's it's my goal. So so Ye're working very hard to be in the same level as them, and and yeah, hopefully some years that I can play finals against those guys.
Speaker 1: Are there any players that you haven't played yet that you think I can't wait to play.
Speaker 3: I love to play against Djokovic. I think kiss idol for the sport is like we all say, the goat. So so yeah, maybe hopefully soon I can play against him, because well we know that in the future, like last probably like four years, he's going to retire, so yeah, we never know, so so I'll say him, I'll left playing against him to see how it is. And yeah, last.
Speaker 1: Year, I mean there was a sense that it was everything was new for you. Does does it feel different for you this season?
Speaker 3: Yes? I think, well, I know a little bit more of the tour, and I know more of the players, and and yeah, it's gonna be my first You're defending points. The the pressure of going to a tournament be well, uh defand points or defending champion uh buenz aidres or bazo is just uh, it's gonna be a great uh experience for me. And but yeah, it's pretty different from from last season. And but yeah, hopefully we can do well. I'm confident with my game, like I said, and uh and playing good.
Speaker 1: You arenown for your power and your short making. Where did that come from?
Speaker 3: Difficult say? But I think since I was younger, I liked playing hot, like full power. I like going for the shots. Sometimes my shots went directly to the fans or directly to the bottoms of that. But uh, working and I keep playing more solid, but sometimes it just it keeps going to defense sometimes. But hopefully I'm doing some winners and and yeah, but since I was young, I liked playing hard and I kept with that and it's my it's my way to play. So so yeah, your.
Speaker 1: Start in tennis was famously helped by being able to attend the Real Open when you were young. How when you think about it, how life changing was that having that tournament so close.
Speaker 3: I think was really important for my bow the start of my career. Like I went to all the auditions of the real opening, and I went as a spectator for many years. Hence I went as a hitting partner and then after as a player. But I'm there for like I don't know, determined has like about fifteen years maybe and and it's just super special and it helps well, it put me in this sport. I think watching Nadal playing there and winning and well all of this big players, so so yeah, is this special tournament for me? And one of my dream is to win win.
Speaker 1: There is there one memory from that tournament that stands out above all others.
Speaker 3: I think Nadal winning. We watched the final and I was this is one one of the boxes and I remember him winning. So and now another moment, just my my deeper dere in twenty twenty three, it was well I lost all and four, but it was a special moment for me, and yeah, it was great moments.
Speaker 1: You also played soccer when you were young. What made you choose.
Speaker 3: Tennis, Well, I think since twelve eleven I was playing more both and I had a little injury in so occurred that I played futsal and I had a little injury played with the old guys. I was eleven twelve and I played with guys thirteen fourteen, And well, I felt and I injured a little bit. Was not that that like was not like very very like important pain or whatever, but it just like felt me, I don't want to play soccer anymore. I don't want to go with tennis. And uh yeah, but not only that, I really fell in love with this sport and I really liked traveling. I felt I think I played a little bit better at tennis, and uh, and I was already traveling. I was already uh with a with a coach and then and then uh, when I was twelve, I changed my coach. Things got a little bit more serious. And here I am.
Speaker 1: What has been your favorite place on tour so far?
Speaker 3: My favorite place on tour? I think I really like Rome the Master Well, I love Pasta and Andy. I think that the culture there is just really nice. The city is just, I'm beliefubl beautiful. So so I'll say this one. And also Wimbledon is just unbelievable. Every little Detay is just amazing. So also this both places.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that you say both roam and Wimbledon because you've had success on hardcourt. On what what's your favorite.
Speaker 3: I actually lost first round Rome, but yeah, it was it's a cool city. But I think my favorite one is nowadays. I always felt like I played better on clay, and uh, but I've seen nowadays I'm playing I'm playing good and hard. There's a long time that I'm central I'm not playing clay, So for now I'll say hard and maybe in the future I will say clay again, but but nowadays hard.
Speaker 1: It's a busy life for a nineteen year old. What do you do to unwind when you're not playing tennis.
Speaker 3: I think I have a pretty good social life, friends, family, and I can hang out a little bit when I'm home, and when I'm playing a tournament, my parents, who are well family members of the family or friends, they can come and for me to follow. My mental health stays good, so I'll say it's my social life, like I said, is pretty good. And I like to say to stay with the family. When I'm home, I like to go out of my friend's girlfriend and yeah, I'm pretty chill, I like to stay home, and I think that's and.
Speaker 1: Just to finish, what does a successful season look like for you in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Six, I think just keep evolving as as a player as a person, keep learning, keep playing well, good progressing on ranking and yeah, I think I'm looking forward for this season. It's going to be fine and now hopefully I can do some great stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much. We wish you all the best with that, and thanks you sit down, Thank you, Viv.
Speaker 2: Congrats on that. I loved listening to that and it was a great opportunity to learn a little bit more about him off the court. I thought it was so fascinating hearing him finish the interview when you asked him about what would make a successful season, and it's rather than kind of rankings, milestones or rounds of tournaments, it was a little bit broader than that. It was about evolving as a player and a person. And I just think that's what I took away from this interview. How mature he sounds for someone so young, still a teenager.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I was very lucky to have quite a bit of time with him in Brisbane, but yeah, it was fascinating to hear him talk about early Joo Juao and you know, just I guess the progress he's made in such a short amount.
Speaker 2: Of time for sure. And yeah, with the Indian Wells result being, you know, that breakthrough at a master's level, and you know he's establishing himself as such a force on tour. It's really exciting to see what will come next for him.
Speaker 1: And we'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down when We Sit Down with Lindsay Davenport.
Speaker 2: Can't wait for that one. And as always, if you subscribe to The sit Down, you'll never miss an episode when it lands in your feet. And if you could leave us a rating or a review, we'd love that too. See you next week, viv See there, Matt,