Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to The Money the Podcast Millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our Money Diary episodes where I get the absolute privilege of sitting down with oneever beautiful community members and learning all about their journey. Let's jump straight into it, because this week I got a message and it sounded just like this. Hi, Victoria. It has been a huge journey for me from meeting the love of my life and following him to Australia and leaving behind my dream job and my life only to find out that that relationship was toxic. Fortunately, I'm now reclaiming my self worth and I'm back on track. I'm sure many people in the community will relate to this story. Oh my gosh, they totally will. I'm so excited to have you on the show money Drest.
Speaker 4: Welcome, all welcome, thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I want to know so much about you. First, cab off the rank as always. What money grade would you give yourself if I asked you to give your money grades a rating between A through to F.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I'd actually give myself an AUS.
Speaker 2: No, Okay, I love this. You really are claiming yourself worth back.
Speaker 4: Yes, I am queen.
Speaker 2: Alright, let's jump into my favorite question of all time, money Diarist. Can you please share some more information with me about your money story. Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely so. I moved to Australia in twenty seventeen and at the time I was the event and tour manager for a major global band.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, and you told me before, and like it is really really major so gold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was good. I was living the dream. I was having these amazing life experiences. I was making decent money, but it was one of those jobs where I was like, I'm happy making this amount of money because of the life experiences I'm getting. And then, as you introed, I met a Nazie man while we were both traveling and I ended up moving to Australia in twenty seventeen. So money wise, I continued doing that same job for about three years actually after I moved here.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, but.
Speaker 4: The money started getting smaller and smaller because what I could do from Australia was a lot less. Yeah, okay, so I wasn't making too much. I was making the bare minimum and everything was actually fine. There was nothing wrong with that. It was actually really okay. And then I was working through my company and Canada at the time, and then I got my Australian visa, which is really when I started my business here in Australia. And then I started making more and more and more money now that I could pick up Australian clients. So yeah, I went from okay money to almost minimal money to where I am now, where I'm making good money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how good? Yeah, what's the butt? I know there's a.
Speaker 4: Butt, Well there's not a butt. Really. It was more just sort of the journey of what was happening during that money thing because my relationship, which I loved and adored, I didn't see it for quite some time how money was impacting that. So I was in a relationship where when I was making little to no money, everything was actually great. And it was when I started making my own money and making a lot of money that the problem started presenting themselves.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, and yeah, how did they kind of manifest? You know, you see this happen sadly often where it actually is a power dynamic thing where you know, the male in the relationship goes but I'm the bread winner, and you know they don't realize maybe they're doing it, but like they just like to be the man of the house, right, They make a big dollars and then when their wife starts bringing in a bit more, they're like, oh, I don't really like this. What did that look like for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And I will say I don't think it was intentional at all, Like he, to be fair, did not have a malicious bone in his body, which makes it even harder to actually see it for what it is when it's so casual. The first time it really presented itself, that took me time to realize what it was was he did as you advocate for all the time, ask for a fine ancial arrangement, which I was happy to sign. Yeah, So to sign an agreement, I was very responsible, very above board. We never ended up going through and doing one. Yeah, And I never quite understood why, And I thought, oh, maybe he just wasn't worried about it, which was silly of me to think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always the way, right. Yeah, when you're in love, you're like, I trust this person one thousand percent.
Speaker 4: Because we both got our own lawyers, because you have to get your own advice, and they want to make sure you're not coerced into signing it, and they run through all the scenarios with you that could potentially make it an a one boid.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What I've realized in hindsight was he presented this to me saying, you know, I want to get one within one hour of us submitting for my partner visa.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So he's like, all right, obviously, you know I'm serious, Like we just submitted for this big visa. And then he's like, now that we've done this, I want a financial agreement, okay, which to me, I'm like fine, I don't care about doing that already.
Speaker 2: Maybe it makes sense, like yeah, yeah, all right, I can see where you're coming from with just being like yeah whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but in the eyes of the law, yeah, talking about coercion, that would forever present an argument that me not signing the agreement would have affected my visa and my ability to stay in the country.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it would have too. Did you think about that at the time or were you just like, no, no, no, babe, that's fine, let's do like this financial thing, because like we're on a roll.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, I didn't think of it at all, And I would have never felt coursed. I would never sign something I'm not comfortable with. And of course, but the argument was there as a result of how that played out forever.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And it took me a long time to realize that's what happened, and that's why he kind of dropped it. But what happened after that was there was no point where he ever felt comfortable with a financial arrangement. So as I started becoming more successful and I was thinking about buying a house and I'm thinking about to do these things, and I'm thinking about wanting to do them with him.
Speaker 2: Ye, of course, because you're in a marriage and you're like, we are in love, well, partnership, yeah, but like you were serious. Yeah, And I guess I used marriage flippantly because you know, to me, it doesn't matter whether you are you or not. But like, clearly you moved across the world for him, so you weren't just like casually dating on the side.
Speaker 4: You know exactly. But what happened from that moment on? I was always a financial liability before I was a partner. Yeah, okay, and that started to grow and grow as I became more successful. No, yeah, and it doesn't feel good.
Speaker 2: I can imagine. And then what happened then? Were you like I just can't deal with this, was just like, you know, a cause of like lots of arguments in your relationship or was this like an underlying thing? How did it? I guess manifest day to day?
Speaker 4: Yeah, very underlying. So for quite some time it was good. I was big into you know, wanting to carry my own weight and keeping things fifty fifty.
Speaker 2: Like a queen.
Speaker 4: Yes. And then one thing now that I would advocate for anyone because when I was making less and we moved into a new place, we talked about the finances. We agreed that he would pay three weeks of the rent out of every four. I'd pay one week, and then I'd pay the utilities. Okay, and we thought that's probably fair. He was making at that time about three times as much as I was.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you split it based on I guess, relationship equity and equality like looked at it and went, oh, it's the fairest like outcome here.
Speaker 4: At that time, that was the idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What we didn't do, and I would do and tell anyone to do moving forward, was actually write down what those utilities and other expenses entailed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, because they do add up and sometimes you don't notice.
Speaker 4: As I was thinking about how everything was playing out and I was still in the relationship, I wrote it all down, and I was paying sixty percent of our bills while he was making three times as much as me.
Speaker 2: You were like, at the time, this made sense, but it isn't really mass.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We didn't actually right down the math. We were just like that sounds right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you trust each other, so like, why would that matter, Like we're both on the same page. Yeah, cheers.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I was kind of realizing all these things. And the big turning point for me one day was I was heading out to go to work and he was getting ready, and I thought, Oh, where are you off to He's like, Oh, I'm going to the bank. I'm like cool, what are you doing there? He's like, Oh, I'm putting an offer and on a house, so I've got to go sign all the paperwork.
Speaker 2: Sorry, so what Yeah?
Speaker 4: And we hadn't talked about it, nothing, didn't mention he was by and I knew he'd been looking a long time on risk.
Speaker 2: How long have you been together at that point?
Speaker 4: Built four and a half years?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not, so what the heck?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was a turning point this day.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, And like, come on, tell us what happened In that moment.
Speaker 4: I went silent because I was like, I need to process this.
Speaker 2: Surely it's a joke, Like surely.
Speaker 4: And I knew he'd been looking for rentals, but yeah, it's one thing to be looking for a year casually on your phone.
Speaker 2: I look on real estate, dot com, dot you all the time. It's like a like, I don't think my husband would look at me and be like, oh, I was just trying to buy a house without my consent, Like I'm just pervy, you know, Like that's not a weird habit.
Speaker 4: Well what happened was he laughed, and I laughed, and I'm stealing on it and I'm calling my friends and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, can you just like fact check me? Like I'm not like unhinged for being mad about this, right, Like you're just checking in to make sure that's normal.
Speaker 4: Right exactly. I'm like, is this normal? Should I be mad about this? And everyone was like, yes, you should be. I would not be okay, And I'm like, okay, this is valid to be mad.
Speaker 2: I like that. As women, we often seek validation for our own feelings, even though your feelings are so valid and you feel what you feel and you don't need that. But I'm the same, Like, if I'm grumpy about something, first thing I do, I'm like, call friend. I'm like, hey, so like this is going on and these are my thoughts. Let's be honest. Half the time, your friends are absolutely gonna go money diarist. We love you. Yeah, you're right even if you're wrong, So like we just need the validation though.
Speaker 4: Hey, yeah I definitely did the calling around. I'm like, what is this?
Speaker 2: Is this unhinged or what? And then what happened?
Speaker 4: To be honest, I stressed myself out so much that day, like a ball of rage. I ended up in the hospital and had to get my gallbladder out that night.
Speaker 2: Well no you didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the rage like manifested so strongly. Ooh no. So I was in the hospital for a few days and then recovering for a few weeks. So I didn't bring it up because I'm like, this is not a conversation. And then a few weeks later, I said, so, what happens that day? And he's like, oh, someone else put in a better offer.
Speaker 2: But he hadn't even mentioned it until a couple of weeks later, and you were like, hey, what happened to that? Did you buy a house that day? Because like you didn't come home and give any outcome? Yeah, what the heck?
Speaker 4: And I said, oh, well that's probably good because I don't think we would have been able to stay in this relationship if it did. He was just blindsided.
Speaker 2: He's like, what how would you be blindsided by that? Sir?
Speaker 4: What do you mean? Like, because he viewed and this is something I'm hoping he's worked on conversations as asking for permission. What it's a very unhealthy mindset, you reckon? Yeah, like to talk to me about it would have felt to him like he had to have my permission to do it.
Speaker 2: So instead, what I'll do is I'll just be really secretive and h had this really big financial decision from you and then just let you know that your opinion didn't mean anything to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Oh I could cry hearing that. But it's true.
Speaker 2: That's really nice of him to see it that way. Were you okay? Like what happened? So obviously that's a big conversation and he didn't see it coming.
Speaker 4: What happened after that because he was still looking for rental, I will say he did start trying to pull me in a little bit more because he was getting more serious about buying an investment property. Nice to him, so he started asking me and I was like, oh, this is really good, Like he kind of got it. But then then there were just all these moments and I call them little moments, but I feel like my therapist would kill me. They weren't little moments.
Speaker 2: We say little moments because along the way you don't notice, but in hindsight, you look back and you go, well, the little things are actually the big things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I hit some like a financial milestone. I made my first when I realized I was going to make a hundred thousand in one year, queen. Yeah, I was like so happy. And I told him and he was just like, but you're not really making that, Like you have to pay tax on that, you have expenses, Like you're not actually making anywhere near that.
Speaker 2: Get in the bea. It doesn't matter, like I am hitting a milestone in my business. No, absolutely, you deserve a cheerleater. You don't deserve some dude who questions everything about your being. Absolutely not.
Speaker 4: And that's when I started turning to my friends, and my friends were like, that's amazing, Da da.
Speaker 2: Da, that's the energy we're looking for.
Speaker 4: So I stopped telling them about my milestones after that because I didn't want to be brought down a peg, which is never a good sign.
Speaker 2: No, that's a really bad sign. But yes, I completely understand why you might have done that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then I think the final nail in the coffin, which for me me was such a big moment, for him, it was probably so insignificant. He doesn't even remember saying it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always the way, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We were both off work. It was during the week. He'd been on the computer all day. I was doing other things, and like in the evening I went over and I was like, hey, like, do you want to do something You've been on the computer all day, Like I'd like to do something cute. And he looked at me and he said, I've made more money sitting here today than you make in a month.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that's not even related, sir, When it's not related to what are you trying to get out of saying this to me? Like, sometimes I think you just have to ask someone like did you mean to be disrespectful? You were trying to be like constructive, Like could you just let me know where this conversation was going, because like I'm not getting it.
Speaker 4: If I ever encountered a moment like that again, like how I respond would be very different. But in that moment, I just like looked at him and smiled and walked away. But like as I walked away, my knees felt like they were going to collapse. It was like I died on the inside.
Speaker 2: You do not need someone in your life who drags you down like that, that's actually discuss and I'm so sorry you had to go through.
Speaker 4: That, Yeah, because he told me. Also, he was like, I would never buy a house with you unless xyz, like I meet certain conditions.
Speaker 2: Oh the criteria. Yeah, okay, no worries.
Speaker 4: There's a way to have that conversation. And starting it off with I would never unless it's not the way to have it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not, because we're either a team or we're not. Are we not meant to be a team? And my success is your success and like, you know, if I'm not doing well, your job is to, like, you know, pump me up and vice versa. Like life is a journey. It's not just about like doing one thing. But like if we're on a team, we're on a team. We've been here for four and a half years now, Like this is pretty serious. Not oh you have to meet my criteria. Who did you borrow that confidence from? Because it shows hell not yours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And after that moment, because I felt so worthless by this point, oh no, Like even though I was making good money, I felt like I was so worthless. So I went to a mortgage broker and was like, yeah, how much could I get on my own? Like if we're both going to buy our own houses and do this on our own, and they gave me the dollar amount and I was like hold on, And that was such like a good moment where I'm like, why do I feel so worthless when I can do so much on my own? Like I don't even need him to buy a house?
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: And that was the turning point where I think after I started exploring, that was when I started being ready to leave.
Speaker 2: Yeah good. And then what did that look like? So confidence back? You're like, actually, I really don't need you, sir, and your audacity is starting to become the centerpoint of our relationship and I'm not here for that. When did you just be like, O, hey, sir, you can buy your house with yourself for yourself, cause you're going to need to relocate.
Speaker 4: I think it took only a couple months from then. I think it was pretty quickly from that conversation with a mortgage broker to saying, if I'm gonna do all these things on my own anyways, I'm going to be on my own.
Speaker 2: Yeah good.
Speaker 4: And it only took a few months And when I said the words. The exact words were, I think it's time for us to accept that we're not partners.
Speaker 2: And how did that go? Was that toxicist? That an easy like change?
Speaker 4: It was devastating, Like we were both sobbing, like it was horrible. Yeah, but I'd made my decision at that point.
Speaker 2: I'm proud of you. And then tell me about after Obviously that was a while ago. How long ago was that? And what are you doing now?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So that was May twenty twenty two, and I don't know what's happened since then, but like there's so much to say for your energy. I've gone through the roof since then. I'm beyond my own capacity business.
Speaker 2: Wise, Yes, going How good is that?
Speaker 4: It's actually really good? Like I'm so proud of myself. And I will say it was a couple months after we broke up. I had my first twenty thousand dollars in one month.
Speaker 2: No, you didn't, how good?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the very first thing I did was break down and sob. I was so sad because my first thought was, oh, I could still cry saying this was that wouldn't have been good enough for him? Like that was my very first thought, rather than celebrate.
Speaker 2: No, we're celebrating that. I'm so sorry that that was your spons But like we're not there now are we? Like now when you have epic milestones, how are we celebrating them?
Speaker 4: Oh it's good now, Like I had my first thirty thousand dollars a month and that was when my brain went, oh, there was no amount that would have been good enough, Like this is such a win for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. And we need to shift that mindset now.
Speaker 4: When I hit milestones, I just like do a little shimmy and I celebrate and I'm happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. Oh my gosh. All right, so you've mentioned obviously some pretty big sums, which is very very impressive. We need to know now, like you can't just hold that back. What do you do for work? How much money do you actually earn? My friend?
Speaker 4: Well, not every month is like that. I run my own event management business, running primarily corporate events all around Australia, going international. This year last financial year, I made two hundred and eight thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what No, you didn't what a queen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, And you're about to take over the world because you're saying that your capacity is at its peak. So tell me what's the plan for business.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm at this weird spot in business where like, to grow, I have to spend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't like that part. I got there and it makes you feel sick. You're like, but I don't want you spend. I just worked really hard for this cash.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm in a bit of a holding pattern right now, just because I am building a house.
Speaker 2: Oh of course you are. She's earning megabucks.
Speaker 4: You don't need no, man, No, I do not. I don't think any of us do.
Speaker 2: To be honest, we really don't. And you know what, another human doesn't make us a whole. Like we just want another human so that we can share our joy and our journey. And I think that that's the way it needs to be seen. How good is this that you're now in that position though? It's like going to be all on your term, so so exciting.
Speaker 4: And it's crazy, like I was holding myself back waiting for someone to want to do it with me when I just could have done it.
Speaker 2: Just get it done. It's fine.
Speaker 4: But it's all happening now, which fantastic.
Speaker 2: If men can do it, why can't wait do it? It can't be that hard if they're able to, right, Yes.
Speaker 4: For real.
Speaker 2: So you've got your own business, You're absolutely killing it. I'm obsessed. What are your big money goals? Like, what are you currently working towards? You mentioned you're building a house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, as I mentioned, I bought a house and land package with the organization you've had on here.
Speaker 2: Oh really?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: How good? So I'm a like really good influencer. Oh I love this.
Speaker 4: I did buy it November twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but we can pretend I had something to do with it.
Speaker 4: You reaffirmed it was the correct decision.
Speaker 2: They weren't a client yet, but now they are.
Speaker 4: That will title in June. There's a big part of money just sitting in my bank waiting to go out. And then, because I've been in Australia for six years now going on seven, really trying to grow my superin investments.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's exciting because everyone likes.
Speaker 4: To tell me, oh, you're super is low for your age, and I'm like, well, I also never heard of super until Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like I'm literally behind because I didn't live in this country. Sit down. Yeah, who's telling you you're behind as well? Let's just ditch them. Let's get them out, because that's not the energy we're bringing to the table.
Speaker 4: I know it was a pre meeting with a financial investor.
Speaker 2: Nah bread flag, red flag see you. Yeah, Oh my god, that makes me so angry. Please tell me you didn't get matched with them through the shees on the money community.
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 2: Okay, good because I was about to be like, I'm gonna have some chats.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I can match you with a good financial advisor if you would like one that isn't condescending and rude, so we can talk about that after. But you've been here for six years? Do we get to keep you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Are you going to be staying in Australia? Like are you going to leave? I like your energy, Like we're lucky to have you, so if you could stay, be great.
Speaker 4: Ah, I'm staying. The house has been built, my citizenship's coming through anytime now. I'm definitely staying.
Speaker 2: How cool. All right, let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to talk about those investments. We're going to talk about debt, and we're going to talk about good and bad money habits because I feel like we've just got so much to learn from you. So guys, don't go anywhere. All right, money diarist, we are back. You mentioned before that you had won't call it a run in, but like if I was in the room, it would definitely have been a run in with a financial advisor who told you were behind. So tell me about investments, like, what's the plan? Do you have any? If not, what are they going to be? What's the plan? What are your thoughts around this?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So right now I do have about nineteen thousand in my super.
Speaker 2: Sorry and they said, oh, you're so behind, Sit down, yeah, because it's also all self nominated, So you're running your own business and you're paying yourself super. Do you know how many small business owners have been in business for ten twenty years and they're still not doing that? Like ah, queen.
Speaker 4: Behavior, Every single invoice that comes in from a client, a percentage of it goes into my super.
Speaker 2: You're a queen. What other investments have you got or are you planning to make? Obviously you've got your business, so I would assume that most of your focus is there, because that's how it works for me. What does that look like?
Speaker 4: Well, I do have about twenty grand in the stock market, depending on the day when I log in and track, which is painful sometimes.
Speaker 2: And what does that look like?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So about five grand of that and you can credit yourself for this is in my SHARE's ease account, is it?
Speaker 2: Actually? That's very cool?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because the same thing every single pay I get from a client that hits my bank, I automatically transfer. I have the five hundred dollars a month plan. Yeah, yeah, and I just max that out every month putting that in.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, obsessed.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I used to try to like find a really good stock that looked like an up and comer, and then after listening to you, I just started being like, no, by responsible long term investments.
Speaker 2: We can be spicy with our Mugga raiders, I reckon. I think we just need to keep the investments boring because then we can afford more Mugga raders and like that's the life we all deserve, right, Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: What about the other fifteen grand? What's that in? And how did you do it?
Speaker 4: So that's in my CMC Market's account. I went through this like massive phase of like lithium and the future minerals yep, so that at fifteen grand actually would be way higher. There's been a dip in that market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there has.
Speaker 4: What's same thing. I think it's a long term investment that will be going in the end.
Speaker 2: How good? And what got you into investing? Like, obviously you haven't been here for that long and both of these companies are Australian based platforms, so you've done this in the last six years, which is epic, But like, how did you start investing?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Absolute pettiness was the real answer to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Good, That's what drives a lot of my decisions as well, if we're being brutally honest.
Speaker 4: Because my ex invested a lot and he would kind of tell me some things, but as you may have gathered, he wouldn't never say like, oh I'm getting this much in this like you wouldn't have a conversation with me about it. So when we broke up, I was like, well, the only choice I have in life right now is to start beating him at the investment game. It's a competition with myself really, but you know, I love.
Speaker 2: It, Like a lot of people would be like, I'm going to get a better car than him and drive it in front of his house, but that's obviously a depreciating asset, and you're like, low, ki, I'm just gonna get rich af Like I'm just going to show him that, like he might have earned more than you at some point, but also I own my own business.
Speaker 4: Sit down, I know he's not right now.
Speaker 2: Cool for him.
Speaker 4: I like that, which I try not to be petty.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, sometimes we need to be a little bit petty, Like we don't have to be petty the whole time, but sometimes we can be like I'm actually in a better place, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I feel bad saying that, but.
Speaker 2: Like you're the anonymous one, Like I've just said that publicly in front of my entire community, that I am not only petty, but I love it. It's like how I love gossip, Like I don't want to be involved, but like I would love to be a fly on the wall in some conversations, Like I will be brutally honest about that. Judge me if you want, but let's be honest. We're all here because we're all a little bit pervy. This is money diaries.
Speaker 4: After all, I'm going to take that energy, like, let's.
Speaker 2: Just go with it, like I am who I am? I can't change that. Talk to me about debt. Do you have any debt? What are your thoughts on debt?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So I have no debt, which I think is a really good position to be in. I will as soon as, obviously the mortgage comes yep. But at this moment, I have no debt.
Speaker 2: And what will your mortgage look like?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So I got really lucky getting in so early. So I bought it November twenty twenty two for six seventy so four bedroom house, three mathrooms, six hundred and seventy k just outside of Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's the advantage of buying so early.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But I've got twenty percent down. So my mortgage I think it's about the five thirty four marc.
Speaker 2: And you've already paid the whole twenty percent deposit.
Speaker 4: No, So when you initially do it, there's a certain percentage you have to put down, and then when the land titles, you put the balance of the deposit down.
Speaker 2: So you've just got that sitting in cash waiting in like.
Speaker 4: A high interestceivdings account.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and that's what you're talking about before. And then once that goes down, then you've obviously got your mortgage broker lined up to get your loan in stated and you reckon that'll be about five hundred and thirty four thousand dollars. Yeah, and then I need to know, obviously brought in November twenty twenty two, is that property like if you look in the same areas, is that property now worth six seventy years? It a little bit more than that, because like I have a sneaky suspicion.
Speaker 4: If someone got that lot beside me, exact same house, same lot, size, everything, it would be about seven sixty Right now.
Speaker 2: Money, we look at this queen, she's like got her own business killing it. But also you've got like this investment that hasn't even like vested yet. How exciting.
Speaker 4: I know, I am excited.
Speaker 2: I'm excited for you. And you said it was just out of Melbourne. Are you moving straight in to this? Is this an investment property?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What does this look like?
Speaker 4: So the plan right now, because of what I've been doing to save the money, will be to move into it just to have a bit of stability and enjoy it and be proud of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a five point thirty four thousand dollars mortgage is very reasonable in Melbourne. I know interest rates are quite high at the moment, but that is still very palatable. It's still very you know, reasonable, especially in this current market where the average property price in Melbourne is more than a million dollars. Now, like you're killing it. Yeah, I'm obsessed with that. So tell me what are your best money habits do you think? Because I feel like you've probably always had some pretty good money habits, especially because you were, like, oh I didn't you know, used to earn heaps and heaps of money. But I also think that there's a lot of confidence that you have now that you didn't have before, and they might play into your money habits.
Speaker 4: So tell us teach us for sure. So my best money habit, I would say, is how actually resourceful I am with money now. So the way I've structured it because I wanted to buy a house really quickly after the breakoup spite driven. I like it like I don't have family here, like no support with the house process. So I decided to houset it full time.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 4: So I house it for people who are overseas in Europe for a few months, so I don't have rent, I don't have utilities, like I found ways to get spat treatments at no cost, my hair done at no costs, like, I almost eliminated every cost in my life.
Speaker 2: Obviously, no one knows who you are and they can't say you, but I can. Your beautiful blonde hair you get done for free. Yeah no, you don't. That does not look free, babe. I'm really sorry.
Speaker 4: I am particular about who I go to.
Speaker 2: Of course it's obvious.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, I found a way to cut out almost every cost in life to be able to make the house happen fast.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can't say that and not tell us how like you can't be like, yep, I found a hack to cutting out every cost in life.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: So moving on, Like, how where are you finding these?
Speaker 4: It's like what the house sitting thing to save Ryan was trusted house sitters. So I do move every few months, which has a toll in itself. It's a little bit of a lack of stability for long term goal. I'm in tons of like model groups. So hairdressers, you want to do upgrades or treatments, or I'm a model for a big skin company, so I get all my like skin treatments and needlin and I got a peel a few days.
Speaker 2: Oh, very nice big skin companies a fancy too.
Speaker 4: You want to give up my lifestyle, gol you have it? Yeah? Yeah, And I go to the massage school for massages for like ten dollars for an hour. Like so I just found a way of all the things I love. How can I still do those things without spending a fortune.
Speaker 2: Tendalls an hour for a massage?
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 2: I didn't even know that was a thing. I'm going to need it. Oh, I didn't even know that existed. Like you joking. I don't care who's doing it, as long as you're rubbing my back and telling me that I'm a nice lady. I mean yeah, like ten ou ten experience?
Speaker 4: Even my AUTI wrinkle, like I pay one fifty for crows feet forehead brown.
Speaker 2: No, you don't. Yeah, excuse me, Like I've been public about this, Like I get botox at the moment I'm pregnant, so I definitely haven't had botox in like the last eighteen months. But when I do it, that's like a four hundred and fifty dollar cost and now you're just getting it for one fifty because you're just like, by the way, Victoria, you're an idiot, I've hacked the system. All right, Well, we have a lot to talk about offline because I'm going to need some information on that. Like we're going to need all of this. Is this something that you've always been good at hustling up or were you like no, no, no, like this is recent.
Speaker 4: I think I was always really good at hustling his for the longest time. Travel was a priority for me, So very different ways, but same resourcefulness. Like I was using house sitting, I was using couch surphine, I was using like I was finding ways to travel and pain almost next to nothing to travel. Same skill, but different priorities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so smart. Does this woman have any bad money habits?
Speaker 4: Well, if you asked me to go to Croatia tomorrow, I'd be like, well, I do not have any events next week, so I could do that.
Speaker 2: She's spontaneous. We like that. This could be a really good dating profile. By the way, like you're selling me, I'm like, yep, she's a catch. Ten out of ten, so you're spontaneous. Like, that's not a bad money habit. But like, is that because you get fomo or is that because you really valued travel? Like what would that decision making process be like in your head?
Speaker 4: I really value travel, I would say, because it's just such a good reminder of like how resilient you are and how you can navigate your way through foreign countries and like you really remember the best parts of yourself when you're traveling, and I love that.
Speaker 2: That's actually really beautiful. But also like, you can't tell me that that's in a bad money habit.
Speaker 4: I probably do it to a point where too many times.
Speaker 2: Do you have a lot of friends that are like, hey, do you want to go to Croatia next week? If so, where do I find more friends like that? Because a lot of mine are like, hey, do you want to go for coffee next week? And I'm kind of like, well, yeah, but you didn't offer Croatia, so.
Speaker 4: Not a lot. I did end up in Dubai a few weeks ago because of an opportunity a girlfriend. I love this mostly I travel so well.
Speaker 2: Adore that's not the worst money habit, especially because you're such a hustler. In every other aspect, like it's clearly not crippling your ability to get ahead, Like you're killing it. I love it all right. So at the start of this episode, you said, look, I reckon, I'm an as. What would that take to get to an A plus? Like, what does that actually look like for you personally.
Speaker 4: Coming out of what we just discussed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I think you're an A plus. So like it's kind of like a double edged sword. I'm like, tell me, why don't you think you're good enough after all of this?
Speaker 4: Only because I will book so many last minute flights where then your mind goes like, oh, that flight was two thousand dollars I could have saved. But you're right, like, I am doing fine with doing that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a lot of money, so I can see why you're questioning it. But I also think we need to have some balance in life. Like I've said so many times before, and I say this to all of my friends and family because I'm a little bit like woo woo at the same time. But old age is a privilege that is denied to so many people. And when we're talking about life, it's really for me about the journey and enjoying it. And that's why I've never been one of these, I guess finance people who are like, you know, I want to create fire, which is like financial independence, retire early because I'm just like, I cannot see myself dedicating ten or twenty years to living super frugally and not enjoying my life along the way, so that you know, hopefully in the future when I get there, I have enough money to live the life that I think I deserve. Like, why can't we just do that the whole way and have some level of balance, Like I'm not that type of person who you know, wants to save and scrimp on every penny because it's not of value to me. And does that mean that I don't respect people who do that. No, absolutely not, Like get it if that's what you want to do, But for me, I'm kind of like, well, it's a two thousand dollars flight. But as you said before, you were like, you remember the best parts of you when you travel, Like is that not what we should be focusing on? Like should we not be focusing on what sparks joy and what brings out the best in us so that you know you can come home and build your business and become a really big hustler and buy your house and then you know, go all right, well, I do need to get away again, because like that's what sparks joy Like. I just can't see it as a bad money habit. From that lens, this is as good as therapy. It's almost like I like did psychology as well.
Speaker 4: Wild Everything you said is so true.
Speaker 2: But yes, I'm glad I can't see it as a bad money habit. I look at this, I'm like, holy guacamole. You are so impressive. Like your business is obviously thriving. Everything else in your life is thriving. What's next? Obviously you've got a few decision to make about growing and maybe scaling your business, But like, have you got any plans in place? Where are we off to?
Speaker 4: I do have, in addition to the business side project that I do that is profitable at this time, that I'm doing a number of things to grow that. So I'm working a lot on the side on like setting up some collaborations and growing that project as well.
Speaker 2: How exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I would love to hire someone, but I have to wait until after that house has settled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like your first hire I reckon is the scariest hire.
Speaker 4: It is so scary.
Speaker 2: It's like the responsibility that you take on, but also it just feels like a really heavy responsibility. But it'll be the best time of your life, I promise.
Speaker 4: Okay, good. That gives me confidence.
Speaker 2: I mean as someone who hired their first person and was like, oh, I'm just going to like, you know, have this one assistant. Now I have thirty plus stuff like it does compound after that, but in the best of ways. Yeah, all right, money, dirist. I have adored our conversation, Like, I just think this is so cool, Like you're just a hustler. I'm glad that we don't have that boyfriend anymore. He didn't deserve you anyway, so good riddance. But everything you've achieved on your own is just such an inspiration because you've just done it on your own. Isn't that like the coolest thing ever? The you're like, I did this. No one helped me. Literally, they didn't even try to help me, and that's why we kicked them out. But I think it's just so cool. So I know our community is going to have loved this diary as much as I have. So thank you for sharing it and being so candid and yeah, I just adore it and I know they will too.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your knee.
Speaker 3: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper p T Y L t D A B N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine