Speaker 1: Welcome to Coffee Time,
Speaker 2: a
Speaker 1: podcast series on markets and economies from DBS group research Team will break Chief Economist welcoming you to our
Speaker 2: 77th episode, I'm excited about this one. There are macro economists and economic historians and then there is Barry Eichengreen. He's George C pardee and Helen and party professor
Speaker 1: of Economics and political
Speaker 2: science at the University
Speaker 1: of California at
Speaker 2: Berkeley. His contribution
Speaker 1: to economics
Speaker 2: and international finance stretches over four decades.
Speaker 1: Consider his
Speaker 2: seminal book, Golden Federer is the Gold Standard and the Great
Speaker 1: Depression, published in
Speaker 2: 1992, or
Speaker 1: the co authored volume
Speaker 2: in defense of public debt. Published just last year in between, Professor
Speaker 1: Eichengreen has delved
Speaker 2: deeply into exchange regimes, trade
Speaker 1: and monetary unions,
Speaker 2: financial market, contagion, banking crisis, global, international financial architecture and all of these in the context of now or a century ago and across
Speaker 1: events in the
Speaker 2: US eurozone, china latin America and so on. So truly
Speaker 1: an honor to have him
Speaker 2: on board today. Professor Barry Eichengreen, welcome to Covid Time. Thank you tom you're you're making me feel long in the tooth, but
Speaker 1: so relevant
Speaker 2: then and now, um professor, I have just read a long list of your expertise but I didn't
Speaker 1: mention post
Speaker 2: conflict reconstruction. Neither did I talk about sanctions, but you've been writing
Speaker 1: on these issues lately,
Speaker 2: given the war in Ukraine.
Speaker 1: So let's begin
Speaker 2: there in a recently published article in project syndicate. You wrote that, talking about marshall plan for Ukraine is a popular
Speaker 1: sport nowadays. But
Speaker 2: Ukraine's reconstruction
Speaker 1: must be done
Speaker 2: with full appreciation of the
Speaker 1: most relevant features
Speaker 2: of the plan that
Speaker 1: was put in motion close
Speaker 2: World War Two europe. So, if you may walk us through those features from your historical study, I I should probably start by mentioning the context for that historical study. I did my work on Uh the history of the Marshall plan some together with my colleague Brad Delong some together with a former student, now colleague mark at the beginning of the 1990s, because everybody was thinking about a Marshall plan for Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. So the context was different. Obviously,
Speaker 1: there was no war
Speaker 2: raging in that part of
Speaker 1: the world
Speaker 2: at the time. Um so the situation in Ukraine is somewhat different now, although I think marshall plan history is relevant once again. So I would I would make a couple of points building on that. Um post
Speaker 1: World War Two
Speaker 2: uh experience. First of all, um Marshall plan funds began to be dispersed even before the conflict in europe was entirely over. So the war with Nazi Germany was certainly over. But
Speaker 1: there was still a
Speaker 2: civil war raging in Greece Through 1949, uh into 1950. and Marshall Plan funds began to flow from the United
Speaker 1: States to
Speaker 2: The recognized government of Greece already in 1948. So one
Speaker 1: here sometimes
Speaker 2: today that we should wait until the conflict in in Ukraine is over, until the Russians withdraw or whatever before we begin to provide aid for reconstruction
Speaker 1: as opposed
Speaker 2: to military
Speaker 1: aid. Think
Speaker 2: marshall plan experience shows that uh thoughtfully administered and dispersed, we can begin to provide aid for reconstruction
Speaker 1: once the west of the country
Speaker 2: is secure, for
Speaker 1: example, uh already today.
Speaker 2: Um
Speaker 1: secondly, uh
Speaker 2: there has been talk
Speaker 1: about whether we the West should be providing mainly grants or loan guarantees and it's worth recalling that
Speaker 2: uh european
Speaker 1: countries came out of World War Two heavily indebted
Speaker 2: and we
Speaker 1: provided grants rather than uh more
Speaker 2: debt if you
Speaker 1: will. And I think that's relevant to Ukraine today as well. They looking forward are are going to face uh
Speaker 2: difficult
Speaker 1: problem of debt renegotiation. They're going to have
Speaker 2: to restructure the debts
Speaker 1: that they inherited from the pre
Speaker 2: war period.
Speaker 1: Their economy will
Speaker 2: have shrunk.
Speaker 1: Uh those negotiations will take time. So I don't think we should add pile more
Speaker 2: debt on top
Speaker 1: of the existing
Speaker 2: debt if
Speaker 1: you will. And finally
Speaker 2: there's the question
Speaker 1: of how a marshall plan
Speaker 2: for
Speaker 1: Ukraine should be structured and
Speaker 2: administered.
Speaker 1: I don't think it should be administered by the Bretton woods institutions, for example, by the I. M. F. And the World Bank Russia
Speaker 2: being a
Speaker 1: member of the I. M. F. And the World Bank uh and uh in
Speaker 2: a position therefore
Speaker 1: to throw a wrench in the works if you will. The um uh brilliance of the marshall plan was that the US government set up autonomous self standing agency that could
Speaker 2: cut through red tape
Speaker 1: and wasn't uh
Speaker 2: answerable
Speaker 1: directly answerable to the bureaucracies of the U. S. State Department and the U. S. Treasury Department. And I think a self standing international agency maybe under the umbrella of the United
Speaker 2: Nations,
Speaker 1: uh maybe under the umbrella of the O. E. C. D. Would be the right way to go for Ukraine as well. Would you consider a BRD or the european union along the same lines? Well, I would I I would be prepared to consider
Speaker 2: E. B. R.
Speaker 1: D. Um E. B. R. D. Did not exactly distinguished itself in its early
Speaker 2: days.
Speaker 1: Um
Speaker 2: in
Speaker 1: The early 1990s it became famous more for for building lavish headquarters with with a lot of
Speaker 2: marble than
Speaker 1: it didn't dispersing funds. But it is presumably leaner and meaner now. And I I would um uh consider that uh I I don't think um Reconstruction of Ukraine is going to be an exclusively Eu endeavor. We're going to want to uh in in in enlist the support of the United States and Japan
Speaker 2: and others.
Speaker 1: So uh the european union, the european commission is clearly going to have to play a leading role. Whether it should house this autonomous agency though is another
Speaker 2: matter
Speaker 1: if I may ask you one more follow up
Speaker 2: question, what's your
Speaker 1: view on the refugees?
Speaker 2: So Ukraine is
Speaker 1: blessed with many skilled workers. Some of them presumably will fill the labor market gap. The skills mismatch that Poland had before this conflict. And of course, you know, the U. S. Is granting large number of green cards to Ukrainians and so on for the post conflict rebuilding. Would you want the refugees to go
Speaker 2: back as soon as
Speaker 1: possible? Is that what we saw in the case of europe
Speaker 2: post World War Two?
Speaker 1: Or it was the case that you know, many left regardless and many stayed on and that was sufficient? Well, in the case of of
Speaker 2: Ukraine, I think it is
Speaker 1: critically important to reverse the brain brain. Uh, among other things,
Speaker 2: Ukraine
Speaker 1: had relatively small but vibrant high tech sector. Uh people can work remote so maybe they can work from Poland
Speaker 2: for
Speaker 1: the Ukrainian
Speaker 2: startup.
Speaker 1: But I think more generally it will be important to attract back the skilled workers. There was a lot of labor displacement after World War Two, a lot of voluntary
Speaker 2: and
Speaker 1: some involuntary movement
Speaker 2: of labor
Speaker 1: from from the east to uh to the west. The
Speaker 2: big problem after
Speaker 1: World War Two was rebuilding the housing stock
Speaker 2: and
Speaker 1: uh thereby allowing
Speaker 2: people to move
Speaker 1: back to the
Speaker 2: urban centers
Speaker 1: and the industrial centers where their labor was needed where they were most productive. And this is going
Speaker 2: to be a big problem for
Speaker 1: Ukraine as well.
Speaker 2: They want to attract
Speaker 1: back the refugees skilled workers,
Speaker 2: but they're going to have
Speaker 1: to be able to house them and
Speaker 2: it will take
Speaker 1: years to rebuild the housing stock. So I think um modern
Speaker 2: technology can be
Speaker 1: part of the solution. They're modular housing and so forth. But where you
Speaker 2: can rebuild a
Speaker 1: bridge or a railway virtually overnight, pontoon
Speaker 2: bridges
Speaker 1: and uh, and and so forth, rebuilding the housing stock takes longer. And that will be a constraint on repatriation. Uh, Professor, I can I just want to press you a little more on the IMF's World Bank
Speaker 2: question. I just want to go back there for
Speaker 1: a second. Both institutions have already offered, you know, substantial assistance to the Ukrainian
Speaker 2: government. And of
Speaker 1: course, Ukraine has had multiple
Speaker 2: programs with the I. M.
Speaker 1: F. In the past by myself. And as an ep, actually worked on a Ukraine program 20 years ago. Um, you wouldn't want those interactions to be suspended even under your envisioned framework.
Speaker 2: No,
Speaker 1: I think,
Speaker 2: um, that
Speaker 1: the agency in in in charge of dispersing uh, bilateral aid
Speaker 2: from the United
Speaker 1: States to Ukraine, from the european union to Ukraine can also work with the
Speaker 2: I. M. F. And and
Speaker 1: and and the World Bank. But it's a matter of who's going to be in charge if you will. And what the um, where, where the organizing center will
Speaker 2: uh,
Speaker 1: be housed. And I think it should be housed outside the bank and outside the fund. I don't think your friends in Washington are going to be very happy to hear this. I'm gonna move on to one more subject on the conflict. So, this is the first line of an article you recently wrote for the East AsIA forum, what will be the demonstration effect of Western sanctions on
Speaker 2: Russia?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. So it's widely argued that with
Speaker 2: uh,
Speaker 1: western sanctions and in particular with the virtually unprecedented step
Speaker 2: of freezing
Speaker 1: the
Speaker 2: foreign exchange
Speaker 1: reserves of Russia's
Speaker 2: central bank,
Speaker 1: there will be movement
Speaker 2: away from the
Speaker 1: dollar
Speaker 2: in particular
Speaker 1: movement away from reliance on Western financial institutions, both swift as a messaging system, the new york clearinghouse, US banks, etcetera. Uh, it's
Speaker 2: important though,
Speaker 1: to observe that you asked not about US sanctions, but about Western sentence where the West in this
Speaker 2: context means
Speaker 1: not only the United States and Canada and Western europe, but also Japan and South Korea and others. So in this context, the West is a set of economic and political
Speaker 2: values,
Speaker 1: if you will, meaning that there are relatively few places to
Speaker 2: go. So,
Speaker 1: the demonstration effect will be
Speaker 2: to make countries contemplating the possibility that one day
Speaker 1: they might be in the
Speaker 2: position that Russia is
Speaker 1: currently in um, China, uh,
Speaker 2: wonders
Speaker 1: whether there could be a more direct conflict with the United States
Speaker 2: over
Speaker 1: Taiwan. Most obviously,
Speaker 2: uh, such
Speaker 1: countries will want to hedge their bets, that will be the
Speaker 2: demonstration effect,
Speaker 1: but I think they will quickly come to
Speaker 2: learn that
Speaker 1: hedging their bets is
Speaker 2: not really
Speaker 1: possible in the short
Speaker 2: run because there's
Speaker 1: nowhere to turn uh, and, and building an alternative
Speaker 2: set of
Speaker 1: institutions that does
Speaker 2: create a
Speaker 1: viable alternative is a time consuming process. So I think the best case in point
Speaker 2: is china
Speaker 1: has been attempting to build an alternative to chips the new york based dollar based interbank clearing house china's alternative is called uh sips the cross
Speaker 2: border
Speaker 1: interbank
Speaker 2: payments
Speaker 1: system. China
Speaker 2: has been trying
Speaker 1: To build it for seven years now and it hasn't gotten
Speaker 2: too far, yep,
Speaker 1: I think
Speaker 2: china's alternative is viable
Speaker 1: and it will continue to grow, but it won't provide uh an alternative. In the
Speaker 2: short one.
Speaker 1: I remember talking to a senior official at
Speaker 2: Beijing a few years
Speaker 1: ago and he argued that we coming from our Western persuasion think that without capital account convertibility, a country cannot have a fully international currency. And his argument was, you don't have to have corner solutions, you can have mid points. Um I sort of understand the wisdom behind that, but I fail to see it catching traction. I mean there are many countries
Speaker 2: which large
Speaker 1: run large and persistent trade deficits, vis a, vis china, so they can all have some sort of a glorified barter system.
Speaker 2: You know, you give me stuff, I pay you with R and B
Speaker 1: and then I buy stuff from you
Speaker 2: and you take the R and B back,
Speaker 1: but it
Speaker 2: hasn't really caught on, I mean in the last couple of months we're
Speaker 1: hearing petrol
Speaker 2: RMB and rubble RMB swap. Um so you, you remain unpersuaded that
Speaker 1: anytime soon. We're going to
Speaker 2: see any seismic movement. Yeah. You know, um it we we can monitor cross border use of the Renminbi in large part through swift because the ironic fact is even though china is building this cross border interbank payments system, it still sends instructions between
Speaker 1: domestic for
Speaker 2: transfers between domestic banks and foreign banks through
Speaker 1: Swift. It
Speaker 2: still depends on that Messaging system. If you look there, the renminbi accounts for 2% by value Of cross border payments, where the dollar accounts for 40% and the euro is not too far behind the dollar along that dimension. So
Speaker 1: the
Speaker 2: Renminbi is growing in
Speaker 1: importance over the last few years, its share by value of
Speaker 2: transactions through swift has risen
Speaker 1: From like 1.9% to 2.4% or some number
Speaker 2: in that
Speaker 1: neighborhood. But it's
Speaker 2: still very far
Speaker 1: from being a full fledged rival to the dollar. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Um
Speaker 1: What about on the issue of weaponization of the dollar? This aspect that the US has pursued twice in the last one year. First it froze the Central Bank of Afghanistan's US based reserves. And now a large part of Russian Central bank's reserves are unusable because the same. I mean, that ought to give certain antagonist of the US pause in terms of holding US dollar assets. So it does give them pause. But the point is they don't have a lot of other places to go. They can't move into euros. They can't move into pounds sterling. Uh
Speaker 2: I
Speaker 1: recently published a paper together with a
Speaker 2: couple of colleagues
Speaker 1: both at the I. M. F
Speaker 2: observing that
Speaker 1: over the last couple of decades there has been gradual migration away from dollar reserves
Speaker 2: in a small
Speaker 1: part toward the Renminbi, but principally toward
Speaker 2: nontraditional
Speaker 1: reserve currencies like the Canadian dollar and the Australian dollar and the korean
Speaker 2: won. Those
Speaker 1: countries are all participating in in in in the sanctions. So they do not provide safe havens
Speaker 2: for
Speaker 1: countries contemplating moving away from the dollar. Really,
Speaker 2: the only place
Speaker 1: to go is toward the
Speaker 2: Renminbi
Speaker 1: and how freely you will be able to use your Renminbi reserves
Speaker 2: is
Speaker 1: uncertain both because of those regulatory restrictions that you mentioned before and because chinese banks
Speaker 2: are
Speaker 1: reluctant to
Speaker 2: flaunt
Speaker 1: Western sanctions to
Speaker 2: openly for
Speaker 1: fear of secondary sanctions.
Speaker 2: There, china
Speaker 1: is still heavily interdependent with the West. Chinese banks value their ability to do business with the West. That
Speaker 2: business is a whole
Speaker 1: lot more valuable to them than business with
Speaker 2: Russia.
Speaker 1: I suppose the wisdom in the post-1990-91 episode when Soviet Union broke up was that if we move towards economic integration and more liberalization countries like breakaway Russia or china post W. T. O. Would as you just pointed out that have certain interests in place, which would make them shy to embrace conflict. Um I think you still are holding on to the belief that conflict risk can be mitigated if there's deeper integration. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So,
Speaker 1: well we learned that there is no end to history. We learned that um uh economic fostering economic interdependence won't lead to
Speaker 2: changes
Speaker 1: in countries, fundamental changes in the country's political regimes. But if they have an economic stake in their relations
Speaker 2: with
Speaker 1: rivals, they will think
Speaker 2: twice about
Speaker 1: jeopardizing that
Speaker 2: through
Speaker 1: kio
Speaker 2: political action.
Speaker 1: So um
Speaker 2: Russia is kind of proof by counter example.
Speaker 1: Mr
Speaker 2: Putin for whatever reason, I hesitate to say in his wisdom for whatever reason,
Speaker 1: decided to go to
Speaker 2: war. And I
Speaker 1: think uh we
Speaker 2: have seen that the economic
Speaker 1: consequences
Speaker 2: are for for Russia are are very serious, quite profound and are not going
Speaker 1: to be reversed
Speaker 2: anytime in the foreseeable future, right? That's the
Speaker 1: demonstration effect.
Speaker 2: Um Alright
Speaker 1: enough
Speaker 2: about Russia and the war.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about something
Speaker 2: that commands the headlines every single
Speaker 1: day, the
Speaker 2: Great inflation of 20
Speaker 1: 22
Speaker 2: uh here, your
Speaker 1: take on it
Speaker 2: here. So
Speaker 1: I think this uh inflation will be with us for some
Speaker 2: time.
Speaker 1: We're still going to be battling with this problem in 2023 absent a recession. So that's a big caveat right uh unconditional forecasts of how inflation is going to play out
Speaker 2: our
Speaker 1: treacherous and they don't make a lot of sense because there's one scenario in which the U. S. And the world economy continued to expand
Speaker 2: and in that
Speaker 1: scenario I think in in inflation above 4%
Speaker 2: is
Speaker 1: going to persist in the United States in europe and Britain more generally.
Speaker 2: And there is another
Speaker 1: scenario in which we do tip into recession later this year or next year,
Speaker 2: in
Speaker 1: which case
Speaker 2: that bed is
Speaker 1: off, if you will, the pressure of demand will be less. The pressure on on inflation
Speaker 2: will come down
Speaker 1: faster of its own volition and the pressure on central banks to continue to raise rates will be less. So the way I
Speaker 2: think about the the the the problem in the no
Speaker 1: recession case
Speaker 2: is that the best case scenario
Speaker 1: in the US and
Speaker 2: europe is that uh in in in inflation comes
Speaker 1: down next
Speaker 2: year towards four
Speaker 1: percent.
Speaker 2: If the neutral real
Speaker 1: interest rates,
Speaker 2: Natural rate of real rate of interest is one half of 1%. The Fed has to jack up
Speaker 1: its policy rates to 4.5
Speaker 2: percent just to keep
Speaker 1: inflation
Speaker 2: steady at four.
Speaker 1: And if the Fed is
Speaker 2: uncomfortable with four,
Speaker 1: which it will be, it's going to
Speaker 2: have to raise rates above 4.5
Speaker 1: percent. So I think, you know, as we speak today, the markets are are displaying more volatility and signs of more worries. So they're finally catching up with this scenario, which is the you ain't seen nothing yet scenario in terms of central bank
Speaker 2: reactions. So,
Speaker 1: uh if economies continue to expand, I think that's what we will see continued financial volatility movement away
Speaker 2: from risk
Speaker 1: assets. Um and More than 2 50 basis point hikes by the Fed which is what's in the market, all that's in the market
Speaker 2: at the
Speaker 1: moment. I haven't quite gotten my head around how the recessionary scenario will play out. We're all collectively only beginning to think about that possibility. I was about to ask you for a probability distribution around the two scenarios. But I think with your last sentence, I think your caveat is well taken. Um I want to ask you one follow up question on the US dollar and one question on inflation later on the U. S. Dollar. So you talked about risk aversion that routinely leads to the dollar strengthening and now we have perhaps a couple of 100 basis points of disinflation ahead of us and a couple 100 basis points of interest rate ahead of us in the next 6 to 8 months just this year. So that's 400 basis points of increasing real interest rate under this scenario. Can the market really be that forward looking at pricing all of it, meaning the dollar has peaked or there's still substantial strength in the dollar lingering for the rest of the year. Yeah, so exchange rate forecasting is
Speaker 2: uh risky
Speaker 1: business. And and I can put on my
Speaker 2: academic cap
Speaker 1: and
Speaker 2: uh
Speaker 1: say I don't have skin in that game, if you will uh you know, efficient markets theory tells us that the markets have priced all this in, they know that the U. S. Economy is stronger than many other economies and that will be dollar positive because the Fed is going to be moving faster than other central banks. In response. They know the dollar is a traditional safe haven and and that um there will be more volatility favoring safe haven currencies going forward,
Speaker 2: that uh in
Speaker 1: principle all ought to be in in in the markets already. But 21st century economists, even academics
Speaker 2: are skeptical
Speaker 1: about efficient markets theories.
Speaker 2: So,
Speaker 1: you know, the markets were slow to cotton on to these ideas, maybe
Speaker 2: they haven't fully
Speaker 1: incorporated them yet. And we'll see a bit of additional dollar strength indeed,
Speaker 2: is a strong
Speaker 1: dollar not a problem for the US and basically a problem for the rest of the world, I think um That's what
Speaker 2: john Connolly
Speaker 1: would have said,
Speaker 2: right, it's our currency,
Speaker 1: It's your problem, Treasury Secretary in the 1970s for for the youngsters among among us. Um I don't think it's a problem for the US economy at the moment.
Speaker 2: If you look back at
Speaker 1: The at the mid 1980s when the dollar was so strong and it and that was
Speaker 2: associated with
Speaker 1: uh gaping trade deficits for the United States and the rust belt problem, the industrialization of the Heartland, that's not a problem at the moment. The U. S. Economy seems to be firing on all cylinders and uh ah uh certainly uh there's excess demand for
Speaker 2: a lot
Speaker 1: of things that are in supply chain
Speaker 2: shortage
Speaker 1: at the moment. But it's a big problem for the rest of the world because it
Speaker 2: feeds inflation,
Speaker 1: weak currencies feed inflation and the rest of the world and they create serious debt sustainability problems for countries with dollar denominated debts. So we're gonna see more problems developed along both of those lines. So professor in one area where the market's interviews very forward looking is the supply of the U. S. Dollar. So when we look at aggregate indicators of liquidity, it doesn't seem like there's major tightening taking place anywhere in the world.
Speaker 2: But in the
Speaker 1: uh dollar desks around the world there is you know already you can see this sort of panic around not there not being enough dollar and so on. Um So that that I find interesting that quantitative tightening hasn't come yet but people are charging a premium in their local currencies for dollar supply um on the inflation. I read recently this book by Charles Good Heart, which came out last year, where his point was that the next two decades or so would be characterized by a sport of inflation as opposed to the disinflation of the last three decades
Speaker 2: for structural
Speaker 1: reasons aging
Speaker 2: contrary to
Speaker 1: what we thought in the context of Japan is actually going to be inflationary um de globalization is going to be a fact of life that's inflationary as well and
Speaker 2: china, you know, both suffering
Speaker 1: from the globalization
Speaker 2: and aging would also contribute toward inflation.
Speaker 1: So what's
Speaker 2: your view on this
Speaker 1: structural inflation
Speaker 2: story? I have immense respect for my uh colleague
Speaker 1: Charles good
Speaker 2: Heart. I tend to uh disagree with him on this one. I looked back at the 1970s and there were central
Speaker 1: bankers like
Speaker 2: uh Fed Chairman Arthur Burns who cited structural
Speaker 1: explanations
Speaker 2: for the high inflation of that decade. But along came paul Volcker in 1979 and he
Speaker 1: showed that its central banks
Speaker 2: that determine the rate of inflation that even if there are strong labor unions or uh big firms with market power or whatever or unfavorable demographics, that would be the current version that uh tend to create more
Speaker 1: inflation, Other things
Speaker 2: equal. Those other things are not equal and particular
Speaker 1: central bank
Speaker 2: policy is not equal. So I think uh central bankers
Speaker 1: views of
Speaker 2: what is attainable in terms of inflation and what is desirable in terms of inflation from the
Speaker 1: point of view of
Speaker 2: maintaining their credibility and therefore the effectiveness of their policies is that
Speaker 1: they're going to have to do whatever
Speaker 2: it takes to invoke Mario Draghi um inflation back down toward
Speaker 1: target that
Speaker 2: is within their capacity and that is desirable. Um Regardless of what structural factors demographic or
Speaker 1: otherwise might be pushing
Speaker 2: in the other direction, how quickly they can achieve that uh is
Speaker 1: another issue recalled
Speaker 2: the first rule of
Speaker 1: forecasting, give them a forecast digested or give them a date. Never give them both. Um You know, I had a question for you, I'm reading through that question. I realized it's a rhetorical question but for the benefit of the viewers of this podcast I'm gonna read it out. But you don't have to answer because I think you've answered the question in the quotation that I have. So this came out in current history earlier this year and you wrote cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin are too volatile to possess the essential attributes of money, stable coins have fragile currency packs that diminish their utility in transactions and central bank digital currencies are a solution. In search of a problem.
Speaker 2: How great
Speaker 1: these three sentences and given what's happening in the last couple of weeks, you've been incredibly present here. I'm not gonna press you on this question. I think you have summed it up very very well here. Um would you like to add anything or we'll move on. Um Yeah, I think that speaks for itself. Indeed. Indeed brilliant. And and how good does this sound? Okay. My final question and this is about your latest book which was entitled in defense of public debt and those who have not read it should because it talks about the productive aspects of public expenditure fueled by public debt that can help and those of us who have worked in Bretton woods institutions for long have struggled with how to account in the fiscal side expenditure that matters for long term growth and not, I highly recommend this book. Um but this is a difficult year for anybody willing to issue
Speaker 2: debt.
Speaker 1: We already have in the emerging markets, you know, debt default and making some debt crisis. So what's the way forward for governments which are already heavily indebted? Okay,
Speaker 2: I don't think
Speaker 1: there's a single way forward.
Speaker 2: Certainly
Speaker 1: um low low income countries and some middle income countries are going to
Speaker 2: have to restructure their
Speaker 1: debts. The international
Speaker 2: policy
Speaker 1: community has
Speaker 2: acknowledged that
Speaker 1: fact already for a couple of years now.
Speaker 2: So they came out with uh
Speaker 1: sustainability initiative
Speaker 2: Back in 2020
Speaker 1: towards the beginning
Speaker 2: of the Covid crisis. But there has been very little
Speaker 1: progress in
Speaker 2: actually implementing that.
Speaker 1: And only a
Speaker 2: small handful of countries that
Speaker 1: have
Speaker 2: approached the
Speaker 1: authorities and their
Speaker 2: private creditors
Speaker 1: to restructure
Speaker 2: debts that are clearly not sustainable. So we're gonna have to keep crying and try harder to deal with that problem. On the other hand, there are uh advanced economies, the United States,
Speaker 1: most of the
Speaker 2: economies of the european union Japan, which
Speaker 1: don't have an immediate
Speaker 2: crisis of debt
Speaker 1: sustainability
Speaker 2: because
Speaker 1: uh
Speaker 2: our is
Speaker 1: still less than she
Speaker 2: because the effective real rate of interest paid on those debts is less than the real growth rate
Speaker 1: of their economies. They're
Speaker 2: able to grow the denominator
Speaker 1: of the debt to GDP ratio faster than
Speaker 2: the numerator
Speaker 1: unless they continue to add to the numerator rapidly by running
Speaker 2: big
Speaker 1: primary budget deficits. I do think that we need
Speaker 2: to look
Speaker 1: forward to uh era when maybe growth is going to be slower because of Charles, good hearts, unfavorable demographics. When the real
Speaker 2: interest rate is going to begin
Speaker 1: to trend
Speaker 2: very
Speaker 1: slowly and gradually upward, it tends to move slowly over
Speaker 2: historical time
Speaker 1: when that relationship will be less favorable. From the point of view of debt sustainability, we're
Speaker 2: going to have to think
Speaker 1: as well about the next crisis when governments are going to have to do whatever it takes, including on the fiscal front. So we've learned that crisis come more often than we used to think
Speaker 2: that
Speaker 1: the period of the great moderation is over and there will be another uh global
Speaker 2: financial crisis
Speaker 1: or pandemic
Speaker 2: or climate
Speaker 1: change related crisis that will
Speaker 2: require deploying
Speaker 1: the available fiscal resources. So those are
Speaker 2: both
Speaker 1: arguments
Speaker 2: for
Speaker 1: moving in the direction of fiscal consolidation
Speaker 2: once or
Speaker 1: assuming that
Speaker 2: recovery is
Speaker 1: secure. So I think that's what the advanced economies are going to have to do. And in the United States for example, we have come a long way in the last year
Speaker 2: in terms of
Speaker 1: reducing the size of the budget deficit, it's come down from effectively from 14% of GDP to 6% of GDP. How much more fiscal grab do you want to
Speaker 2: add in the short
Speaker 1: Run one might ask, but we're going to have to stay that course. I think uh in the interest of debt sustainability and in
Speaker 2: terms of
Speaker 1: enhancing our capacity to borrow in in the event of another crisis of some sort going forward.
Speaker 2: So this
Speaker 1: problem needs to be attended to uh immediately in the case of low income countries in the medium term, in the case of of advanced economies, you've touched on a critical issue. I think
Speaker 2: january april,
Speaker 1: I think the Treasury Department's reports suggest that the overall deficit in january april was almost zero or slight surplus. Uh And as a result, Treasury Supply is is substantially lower than anything anybody expected. Uh This has been a through the force. Professor Barry Eichengreen, thank you so much for your time and insights.
Speaker 2: Timer. Thank
Speaker 1: you. It's a
Speaker 2: pleasure.
Speaker 1: And thanks to our listeners to for your time, Kobe time was produced by Kendall Rich from Spy studios, daisy Sharma and violently provided additional assistance. All 77 episodes of Coffee Time are available on all
Speaker 2: major podcast
Speaker 1: platforms including apple, google and
Speaker 2: Spotify. And
Speaker 1: as far as our research publications and webinars
Speaker 2: are concerned, you can find them all by
Speaker 1: googling DBS Research
Speaker 2: Library. Have
Speaker 1: a great
Speaker 2: day