Speaker 1: Mhm Hello, you're listening to Kobe time, a podcast series from markets and economies from DBS group research. I'm camera big chief economist. Welcome to our 76
Speaker 2: episodes.
Speaker 1: My dear listeners and viewers. Today's guest is not like anyone we've had in covid time history Cl Ean works for Go Jek as the Singapore general manager and also leads the driver operations across all countries. Go Jek is a southeast asian online platform providing access to services including transport, payments, food delivery and logistics. Before go Jek leon worked at Mckinsey where he was based in china and spend time in Sierra Leone helping deal with Ebola. Prior to that, leon was a commando officer in the Singapore Armed forces where he led a battalion and was in East timor as a U. N. Peacekeeper. An avid adventure. And this is where the differentiating part comes in leon is the first guest in Covid time to have climbed the tallest peaks in the world including Mount Everest and K. Two. He has done things like run 250 kilometers ultramarathon through amazon jungles and the Gobi desert and he's done all sorts of expeditions in North Pole and South Pole. Now that's a renaissance man for you. Cl ean, Welcome to Kobe time.
Speaker 2: Hey time, a real pleasure to be here and Running podcasts, you know, are really not easy, 76 editions is even more impressive. So real, real, real pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. It's a little easier than running 250 km Leanne. Let's start by talking about your motivation. Um you have done a lot of physically demanding pursuits in your life then of course, you know, you kind of settle down and did some desk stuff. But how did your journey all the way to go, jek transpire.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. I guess I'll speak a little bit about them and adventurous stuff. It's, it's, it's a good story. Um, probably, you know, runs through three stages when you're young. You are young, foolhardy, reckless. But you are about to explore. You don't know what you don't know. And that was my climbing journey. The first time you climb, it's really to see what, it's all, what, what is, what is this all about? What is the experience? Somebody asked you and you go on a trip and I've got a good story about that. But the first, the first, the first trip, uh, which kind of had some good learning lessons when it became a second trip and a third trip. And after a while you want to become a little bit better. You want to have a little bit more mastery. You want to challenge yourself a little bit more. You want to see a little bit more of the uh, the bigger names that people have been talking about the story, uh, peaks and mountains and trips and places that have been written about and that probably is the second arc. And then as you sort of get into the later stages, you do it because you really enjoy doing it. Uh, I'm, you know, probably still somewhere between the second and the third stage, I try to do a trip, you know, every year. So that's on the, on the personal side in terms of adventure, I'll tell a very short story though, which is this foolhardy uh you don't know what, you don't know and that's why there's a survivor sort of statistic that if you make it past the first few months of any product or company, then you're probably okay. The first time I went to climb a mountain I had with me on my climb towards the summit, I was wondering why everyone was moving much faster than I was. It was in California is a one thing called Shasta and I realized that, you know, they all have very light packs and I noted to myself that in my pack I had this really heavy book called the Freedom of the Hills and anyone who's familiar with it knows that it is the bible of climbing, which also means that it is a good, you know, several kilo tomes and I had, you know, things like my, my my heavy torchlight talking about men like they're just huge metal contraption. So anyway, long story short is I ditched all my stuff and managed to make it into the peak at the cut off time, the very last person to be allowed on that day. So from those rather inauspicious beginnings became this pretty much a lifelong love affair with climbing and the outdoors. So uh if you survive the first few times and you kind of enjoy it, then hopefully you'll carry on doing it whatever endeavor it is
Speaker 1: leon we'll we'll talk about the transition into, go check in a second, but I just want to ask one specific question okay, going up the mountain is one thing, But running across a desert for 206 km seems like a absolutely insane order of pain. Why would you subject yourself to that?
Speaker 2: Ah It's good
Speaker 1: scenery.
Speaker 2: There are a bunch of ultramarathons now and people can talk about uh the meditative aspects of it, the terrain. I mean it is beautiful. First, I'll start off with, it is really beautiful when you're running across the desert. And some are really, I've got some nice pictures on my blog adventures with Leanne dot com, but if you are out in the desert and the sand dunes like full, full on desserts, it's really amazing. And some of the desserts are massive, like the ones in Namibia. And then you can actually see for each each dune and in between each sand dune, these are parallel sand dunes are so big, they can actually see it on a satellite map. We're talking about a kilometer or two. So you can kind of see one kilometer away if you're in the sand dunes in the Gobi, you're literally seeing one hump away and then you're just doing that for hours and hours on end and you really can't tell what's beyond. Except that, you know, uh 50 m from from now, I've got another sand dune to deal with. So even sand dunes are different. Even deserts are different. If you're in the Atacama desert, it is just a flat expense. And then you can kind of see people from really far away. So the first point is sand is different. Sand dunes are different. The geography is different if you're in the amazon jungle, 40 plus degrees Celsius, 90 over percent humidity. Kind of sounds like Singapore, but even even warmer. It's a it's a different type of heat, a different type of discomfort, but a different type of beauty as well.
Speaker 1: All right. The ability to appreciate the diversity of our amazing world. Alright, so the journey to go check,
Speaker 2: journey to go Jack started off in the military and then subsequently it became a, you know, left left after battalion command and became a management consultant. And I think, you know, these two experiences kind of. I learned I learned a lot from them, but I always knew that I want to be back in an operating role in a in a commercial environment. And that pretty pretty much brought me to go check the trajectory has always been something china southeast asia along that vector. So, uh you know, go Jack spoke to me, I really, really, really liked what what we were doing. And I said, you know, it really makes sense. So that's how I joined. Go jek
Speaker 1: so leeanne, given the physically demanding pursuits of your past life
Speaker 2: and I'm
Speaker 1: here that you know, you're not
Speaker 2: actually completely
Speaker 1: devoid of doing that. You're still squeezing in a couple of trips or at least one trip a year. Um, so you talked a little bit about your appreciation for the geo diversity in the world or you know, the meditative aspect and so on. So what are the values and practices from your, you know, physical world that you're bringing to the world of technical e commerce?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. All of it is a piece. Whether I mean you come to the table with everything that you are and you can kind of pull out pieces. But I say you come to the table with everything that you are that has shaped you to be the person that you are. I'll probably try to pull out of fuel as much as you can. Ascribe to single instances. The military is very much about leadership. But again, the leadership in the military is very different at different levels. If you're a young platoon commander in the special forces, it's about direct leadership. It is about looking your men and men and for me it's just men by looking at men in the eyes, being the first to jump out of the plane, leading the run from the front as you move up the ranks, then you start being a leader of leaders and even though you you can have direct line of sight of the people that you lied but you primarily interact with managing your commanders and making sure that you provide very good intent, very good direction and then when you move even up further then you don't even have line of sight with the with the people that you lied and it's very much around organizational change and that I think transitions or segments very well into my time as a consultant, I would say a large part of my projects involved a significant proportion of organizational change and you know that but you know that the speed of ground execution is actually much slower. I can draw a power point and move an Akhtar around in, you know, in in an hour. But for that to actually flow through the system and for the ramifications of the skills capabilities, raising the teams. I mean those time cycles and the time cycles of years, months, months, if not years. So let's say skills things I learned right, what does leadership mean at the personal level, what does leadership mean at organizational level or leading through leaders? So that's really from both military and Mckinsey. Uh as a management consultant, I think the second one is learning or just being very, very clear what your objective is asking the right questions and creating an environment where the people, the team and yourself can come up with the right answers. So probably just leave with these these two things or maybe a third one is and always being being very calm. Um frequently I'm asked you know your greater strength and when I was younger be or how smart I am, how strong I am, how fit I am, how aggressive I am, how much I get things done now. I just say that column is contagious when you come, you deescalate the emotions when you're calm, you de escalate the anxiety and then everyone can come to a better solution. So right now com is probably something that I take from the different things that I've done in my life.
Speaker 1: That's great. Earlier today I was listening to somebody say that you know things are never really as good as as they seem and there never really as bad as they seem and I think that's gonna erupt into your point that don't react too much to what's happening right now. This too will pass whether it's good or bad. Um leon I'm gonna ask you the question that I normally start my podcast with these days, which is how did you and your company deal with the pandemic? Good.
Speaker 2: Well uh you know everyone talks about pandemic and pandemic scarring and hopefully I won't even say anything about what the future looks like. You're not not not using sit probably a friend of uh sort of macro observation and then some individual things that we did micro observation was this early on. People talked about different kinds of recovery, L shaped, K shaped or you know, whatever particular alphabet that you have in mind. But it is true there are people who have your frontline staff is still staying on the front line and there are people, so there are people where you could do your work virtually, but it's still an hour of work more or less. So the teachers, teachers during the period spent an hour on a zoom classroom rather than an hour in the classroom. And I know there's a lot more back end in front of work but roughly work is still in our except you're delivering it virtually there were some people where the work evaporated these were you're in early periods whether it's F and B. Whether anything frontline where the demand disappeared such as marketing events. And unfortunately many of these roles have to Reroll I'd say for people in a manageable capacity or managerial roles, the work is not proportional to volume. The work is proportional to change. So every 20% down In terms of volume of traffic volumes meant a significant business decision had to make and every 20% recovery was again a significant business decision that I had to make. And so it's not as if, I mean obviously more more traffic better than less but it has changed. That actually causes a lot of the work. So um, I'd say not so much for go jek, but for myself personally, I felt the rapidly changing conditions just meant that we collectively had to just cheap on top of it, what does it mean for go jek as a business as, you know what I mean, if you look at my background, this is a driver partner and we are ultimately here to were ultimately here to serve the customers to consumers through the on demand services and within the broader group as e commerce and finance as well. But bingo jacket is about delivering food, delivering people, moving the parcels around um, and that is done by the driver partners, it is fulfilled by the driver partners and the driver partners are the ones who found it very difficult to uh, make, make an earnings during that period. So whether it is supplementary supplementary, um, you know, money that we offered to them, whether it was taking away the commission's that go check, charged or even more recently we added on a fuel surcharge so that they could help defray the cost of rising fuel, which is uh, one of the largest operating expenses. We've done everything that we could to support the driver partners so that they could say sustainable because ultimately they are the bedrock on which our business is operates on.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about this driver partner relationship a little bit, I have, you know
Speaker 2: seen
Speaker 1: stories and case studies around Uber and other large, you know, driving partnership platforms and
Speaker 2: each
Speaker 1: founder seems to have, you know, slightly different take on this relationship between the company and the driver partners give us a sense of the responsibility and the,
Speaker 2: I don't know the,
Speaker 1: the burden sharing that that transpires when you have a model like this.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Project started in Indonesia. The name itself is a motorcycle taxi and there was a fragmented service that at slightly lower levels of reliability, people were uncertain about what they could get and uh, and so that's how we start to go check at the, at the point in time and The social cause and the social mission has been very apparent from, from day one. Uh, there are many stories of the merchants that have been enabled on go check uh, even through the pandemic to be able to provide a livelihood for their families. Similar similarly for the driver partners who have, I think, I think the statistic is that accounts for 12% of Indonesia's GDP now transacted through the on demand services that go check offers. I may be wrong the number, but I think it's roughly in that ballpark. So it is a massive, it is important. It's massively important to the broader economy to the consumers that is unlocked, but even more so for the merchants and the driver partners that are on the platform and whether it's in Vietnam or even in Singapore, the social costs, the social impact uh, and the social impact because of the commercial impact. If you don't scale and you don't have a big commercial impact, then you know, the social impact also may not be quite as large. So I think because of the commercial impact, we never forget the social aspect to it as well.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a very, very specific scenario. This happened to me yesterday actually I was talking to a driver and he said that he used to work for a different right hailing platform and the right that he had somebody vomited in the car and he had a big cleaning bill and the right healing Company basically told him that that was his problem other than like a $30, you know, flat fee they give for cleaning, whereas his liability was much larger. So
Speaker 2: that incident
Speaker 1: alone where the company may have had a set of practice, which from the company's perspective was good practice. But from this driver who had experienced a tail risk if you will was that, you know, he was sort of, you know, let down by the company and he basically stopped working for that because you know, there are other companies to work for and therefore he just moved on from that platform. But that was all it took that one incident. Um, so do you find situations like this often that this is a very sensitive volatile group of driver partners and you have to be extremely careful in dealing with them?
Speaker 2: I would say it's not that the request unreasonable, but it is uh, it is the value of having competition. There's the value of having alternatives and the value of having choices. And many people talk about ride hailing being a commodity product, which in a sense it might be, but there is great value to the market and to the market, meaning both to the customers as well. As the driver said, there is choice. For instance, you have a monopoly and I'm not, I'm not talking about any specific company, but in all examples, you see when you have a monopoly, then you just become less sensitive to market signals. You become less sensitive to competition signals. You try a little bit less hard if you will. And that's true of any monopoly. So, uh, we, and, and you know, we operate in the open and contestant marketplace and that is one of the values of just having competitors keep you on your toes as a general principle. And then more specifically, we always try our best to um, take care of forever partners. We can't manage all tail and risk. Uh, I mean you're an economist. So, uh, there's a, on the other hand, on the other hand, there may be real intentions. Uh, we try to support as best as we can and we definitely do listen to the concerns of every single driver partner. The answer may not be yes, but at least I guarantee that you'll, you'll have a, you have a year that does listen to you and does its best to manage your specific situation and if the specific situation keeps popping up categorically then it's something that we'll try to address as a system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's the absolute right way of approaching it. The industry as a rejoinder to what you just said the driver also his key complaint was that you know, it took him a very long time to get hurt and I think you know from your project can see that that is a issue that you of course are keen to address on a forceful, forceful manner. Um you have access to very good quality, high frequency data. You probably know exactly how many rider ships took place yesterday in Singapore. What's your sense of the economic recovery and ridership coming back?
Speaker 2: Um a lot of it, well it's primarily macro related. The rules and regulations are opening up. One interesting nugget that we saw was you would think that everyone has gotten used to trace together by now but one interesting nugget we saw was that when trees together seize um to sort of be mandatory at the entry points of all the malls, mall destination trips was up significantly yesterday. So you think that things are priced in but actually there is still, there is still friction. So it was, it was, it was actually, I'm not sure whether it was one of, I'll look at it today as well whether, so anyway, it might be just as spurious anecdote, but that was, that was kind of interesting. Obviously ridership is growing up, you know, people are circulating, we can all see with our eyes and our own experiences and, and, and going out there domestically at least within Singapore things are looking very positive.
Speaker 1: Good to know now of
Speaker 2: course speaking
Speaker 1: of macro, I mean we are at a juncture where it is becoming a bit uncomfortable, fuel prices are soaring, food prices are picking up and of course interest rates are going up. Um, so, so this sort of, you know food fuel inflation, interest rates going up. How do you see it affecting both your, you know customers as well as your own business strategy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Um, transport as a transport as a, as a bucket, transport as a cost bucket, you know, the, for for most commuters. I mean the good thing about Singapore actually, I always say this, the biggest competitor that we have is not um, it's not, it's not another point to point operators. It is the fact that Singapore has a fantastically well resourced public transport infrastructure. MRT is great. Our busses are great. Uh, but there's obviously still a strong need for point to point whether it's for convenience, whether it's for rain, whether you have some mobility issues you're going to somewhere a little bit less accessible. I mean there are many reasons why you still want to do point to point uh but it is also true that costs have risen fuel prices. We've talked about with what's happening in europe at the moment and so we launched a uh temporary surcharge uh which we passed through to the drivers primarily to defray the cost of fuel and this isn't something new it's been done in the industry before. Um Hopefully it is something that will be corrective. The point is will inflation be permanently high. Will prices be permanently high if they won't then you just take temporary measures to address them. If they're gonna be structurally high then you need steady more permanent solutions to address them. So temporary cells for temporary pains, study more permanent solutions for more permanent pains and I think what we're seeing in terms of a rising CPI I hopefully is um is temporary things about housing now that's that's outside my remit. So you might have to speak to other people who have a little bit more of real estate meant about what the price of a G. C. B. Is in Singapore but at least when it comes to transport uh we think that this will this will pass.
Speaker 1: Yeah I mean I'd like to think that especially with respect to fuel prices already the market is a bit nervous about the outlook with respective growth which then has a negative impact on fuel prices And you know, we're having this discussion in the middle of april, We have seen signs of fuel price using in the last week or so. Not a good backdrop in the sense that it is in the context of slowing growth, but at least that specific pain fuel seems to be one of those very sensitive things, You know, anybody who is exposed to the transportation world, which is most of
Speaker 2: everyone
Speaker 1: immediately reacts to that, you know, 10 cent 20 cent rise in per liter fuel prices. And it seems to have a disproportionate impact on people's sense of well being. So the sooner it abates the better action for all of us. I want to switch
Speaker 2: just just, just just to jump on that uh the to the, you know, I wasn't a very good student, but one of the things I did learn in the economics class was the two prices that most matter in the world are the two most upstream ones, which is the price of money, which is your interest rates and the price of fuel, which powers everything else in our modern, industrialized uh sort of economy. And so, I mean understandably, these are the two things which people like yourself who look over it every single day. I mean that's that's that's why we I mean, I was actually just reading the biography of uh Jeremy Heywood and he spent a lot of time in the british Ministry of Finance and it was all about interest rates and interest rate mechanisms and the, you know, european monetary union, fascinating history, which can be a little bit dry, but these are the things that move our economy and shape where the, it's a single number is one of the single numbers that matters the most. Yeah,
Speaker 1: I'll ask you later about strategy to move away from fuel or fossil fuel to other things, but let's reserve that for a little later. Um, I saw recently in this article about gore tex decision to give I. P. O. Shares to all 600,000 fewer drivers. Can you explain to me
Speaker 2: the thinking
Speaker 1: behind that?
Speaker 2: I think it's a very simple one. driver partners really make, go check what it is and we wanted to make every driver partner and owner in, go check that they will be able to say, this is my company, this is our company, uh and its future is my future. And that was really this very simple thinking behind granting shares to all the driver partners that are still active on our platform and the ones who came in earlier, we actually had a different tier of award for them. Simple thinking behind it. Every driver partner is an owner in Georgia.
Speaker 1: Just one more integrated question. You know, most of your drivers, I'm assuming don't have a brokerage account or have not dealt with stocks before. So just from a financial infrastructure perspective, was that a very challenging thing to accomplish,
Speaker 2: there's a lot of education and I mean, this is really the social responsibility there, kojak hairs as a move like that, which is well intentioned, also has to be um, also has to be executed and it has to land well, right? So it's a land well in terms of education investing in stocks, obviously, I mean, we have so much user caution advertising rules in Singapore, similarly, we don't, we don't want people to be reckless with it. So there is a lot of education around the nature of equity, the nature of stocks, I mean, overall is very, very well received, but there's also a lot of education in terms of how to monetize this, how to open a brokerage accountants and so on so forth. But I think we've done that outreach, you know very well.
Speaker 1: That's, that's fantastic. I mean, in my day to day dealings, I see so much gap in the field of financial literacy. So for a large company like yours to push that I think is really commendable effort. Um actually,
Speaker 2: on the, on the, on that 0.1 of the reasons why we actually rolled out go pay and had a wallet was, this is a well known statistic for anyone in the financial space of Fintech space in Southeast asia, but Indonesia, large amounts of unbanked, right? The majority are unbanked and so when you are taking cash, cash transactions of this high high high friction no ability to put your cash anywhere. And with that with the advent of go pay for the first time, they actually have a digital store of money that that the drivers produce. And they could obviously use that subsequently to pay for the different transactions without All the old friction of money. Again, a well known story by the by the 2020s. But if you think of this 57 years ago really transformational and this is just maybe another another leg or another step in that journey of digital finance.
Speaker 1: Absolutely great stuff. Now we not only have this uncomfortable macro backdrop of you know high rates and inflation and war and all that kinda stuff. Um We are also seeing at least in the U. S. But also in china. Um major correction in the tech space companies have lost hundreds of billions of dollars worth of values just like in the span of 34 months netflix being the latest one. Um So how is that turmoil that storm that's taking place in the listed equity space? Is that how is that affecting the local startup scene
Speaker 2: uh happens in a maybe I'll take a few different segments, friends said to me and maybe this is also the internal view that we have uh we're often asked this is not a good time to list. Why why is why is go to the parents of our parent company, why are we listening now when you know all the conditions and the situations that you mentioned are happening and and the truth is um I think it was who said that in the short run it's the stock market is a popularity machine or popularity contest. And in the long run it's a weighing machine. And we are looking at the long run game. Um, somebody, another friend said if you started the law, actually it's a great it's a great place. If you if you list at a high, uh this is not something that we're doing for a day, two days. This is not a fundraising round. I. P. O. Is not a fundraising round. It is something that you do in perpetuity. Ah and so you will need to have good performance and good growth in perpetually. From their perspective, the specific timing at which you I. P. O. Is not maybe not so relevant. and if you had to pick one may be coming in at at the height of of the cycle may not be quite as beneficial in the long run as coming in at a different part of the cycle. So that's maybe from a timing perspective. But the point is You can't necessarily time time these things, you don't know what six months from now or 12 months from now will happen. You know, our company was ready. So that's why we chose to do. So that's from a listing perspective for really early stage startups. Um, maybe it would be different from a sort of fundraising perspective, but if you have good ideas, I'll switch method first a little bit. Think of, think of running Singapore is actually a really bad place to, to, to do certain events because it's kind of warm. It's, it's, it's, it's, it's, it's humid, but it is the same for every single competitor. Everyone out on the lanes, everyone out on the tracks is experiencing the same heat, same temperature, same rain, same humidity that you are doing. And if you're not trying to compare yourself with companies that came 10, 15 years before in a different environment, but you're comparing yourself to the market as it is now and the market is Fedex, internal prevailing conditions are fair, this is this, your all all out on the running tracks on the, on the lanes at the same time. So from that perspective, I'd say you can compare, you can wish or you can wish, but unless you're gonna tell us entrepreneur Wait three years. I mean, if the entrepreneur really believes in his company, he's not going to wait three years, he will do it now because his idea is ready now. Could you tell him to do it three years ago? Of course? Sure. But unless it's a time machine that's also not a readily available or a realistic option. And so what matters much more than the external timing is the power of conviction, the internal belief, the internal direction and uh, yeah, I don't think anyone is going to shape broad strategy around. I mean, you've got some flax, three months, six months, but you're not going to say, wait a year, wait two years, wait three years to have more certainty. No one's going to do that.
Speaker 1: I remember before the.com bubble birth, uh, you know, fundraising was so easy. And the questions that were asked were almost ridiculously, you know, easy to answer. And then after that in 2002 onwards, you know, the tech companies that came to the market, they had to be subject much tougher grilling from their investors and of course they have to start with,
Speaker 2: you know, much
Speaker 1: tougher funding environment. Um, are you seeing a parallel to that, that the questions that were asked a couple of years ago versus the questions that are asked now? Different order of difficulty?
Speaker 2: I think they're the same questions. I mean, this is more maybe I'd like to turn the question around to you. If you think of, if you think of investors yet, they are the same questions. The the decision point is with the answers that are given, what do you say yes to now versus what you say yes to ask time and what you say yes to in the future, they are the same questions. I won't say there are any more difficult, you know, nobody's nobody's giving us a free pass in in any way, but it is, it has always been, do you believe the story and you believe the, the well not believe the reality. Do you value the reality the numbers now and you value the story for the future? And that's a question for investors to ask. But I would say that if you look at the photo, if you look at the, how tightly integrated it is in Indonesia, the value that we bring in Singapore, the, the and the similar to Indonesia model that we are executing in Vietnam. I think there is at least the markets, the public markets are saying we do value the current and the future potential of this company and what it stands for. Mhm
Speaker 1: Earlier we were talking about high fuel prices and I think that was coming to my mind, but I held on to that question at that point with, you know, what about, you know, switching the fleet to electric cars and so on. So, liane, what do you see in the region with respect to quitting the footprint of transportation and logistics?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of, I would say it's not just the region, Covid plus other efforts globally have made climate change really. Number one on the agenda. So I said on the climate governance, Singapore's during committee. I also, you know, sit on the board of the center for social enterprise. So these are related to the e and the s of the SGN obviously just being a board member or even as a management. Uh there's obviously a strong G angle. So I said, GSG really has uh become front and center across the consciousness of Corporates of people everywhere. Um PMS, you know, at the at the budget, we talked to, you know, the government basically gave a price to carbon and said that they will be raising the price of uh per ton of carbon emissions gradually over the next several years. Um So there is a market price to it already and the companies are responding. Um the biggest emitters would be things like construction, concrete transport. Um so we're all taking steps to green. Go check in particular has a We have a 000 policy. Um you know, and when we think think uh so whether it is something around ah the amount of plastic waste that we generate through food delivery, whether it is having a fully Evie fleet, uh you know, by 2030 whether it's any of these um measures, I think we are definitely with the times
Speaker 1: and as we speak today, I mean there are concrete steps being taken to do those two things reducing plastic waste and getting a bigger fleet of SUVs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, so this is the, so I'm sorry, I should have Elaborated. So our pledges, zero emissions, zero waste, zero barriers by 2030, isn't a very long time
Speaker 1: away as
Speaker 2: as these things. All right. It's it's so it requires changing now. Um from let's say take TVs. So uh we we have E. V. Partnership with with with bogoro and we'll be rolling out these E. V. Motorcycles in Indonesia. Um and so environmental sustainability is to have the zero emissions and zero waste. I'm trying to pull out the exact specific number here. Uh okay. Actually it's it's it's actually a really long line long long list but let's just say that um Under underpinning the 000 by 2030 there's a long list of practices that we have pledged to publicly and that we will be committed to?
Speaker 1: Very good. Um Let me ask you a question that I think first came up in the context of Uber a bunch of years ago where somebody had heard um I think it was Travis Kalanick but it could be somebody else from Uber that the ultimate view was to actually have automated cars because that simplifies the ride hailing operations substantially. Um so I just want to hear your general view that, you
Speaker 2: know, technology
Speaker 1: is very disruptive and it's been through the centuries, all sorts of jobs gets this place, People then move on to something else and so on. But how do you see
Speaker 2: this
Speaker 1: issue of striking a balance between embracing innovation and automating jobs away.
Speaker 2: I think it very much depends on the nature of the job that you that you have. I mean, and there's been so many sort of historical parallels? I'll try a few of them, right, which I think many people would be familiar with tv didn't completely displaced radio, but radio is still around, streaming is still around. So depending on the industry, you will get two or three multiple tracks. Um we still have the spoke uh sort of artisan craftsmen, you've got mass produced shoes, but you also have people who like really nice shoes and other made shoes. And uh those craftsmen are still around, you have Casio watches, but you also have handmade, expensive swiss watches. So it really depends on the industry and there will always be a space for some of these skills. I think the thing I always ask people is maybe you might not want to be a driver, but would you still want to get a driving license? Um there might be a day in the far future where driving licenses or there are no humans allowed. Right, But I don't think that that's coming yet. So maybe it's also around the question of how far or how, how near is that future? Um more broad. So the first point I want to make is that the industry that you're in really matters, will there always be a space for some human element to it or some human craftsmanship? I think the answer is yes, driving maybe a little bit less of a uh sort of craftsman type of skill. But then the second question there is, what is the time horizon in which it will come 3rd and more broadly I think is, um, I really like how Ntuc pictures it in other jurisdictions, in other countries. You have very strong unions who are trying to preserve the jobs and here and you see the mantra, I really like it is, it's about taking care of the workers, not taking care of the work. So they don't, they don't, they don't know whether to a particular type of activity, but whether to the people that do things and that really comes to the point of re rolling and really supporting the re rolling in even in right hailing, we not just myself, but our competitors, we have re skilling and re rolling abilities for, um, for the driver partners, whether, and some of some people, our driver partners because it gives them the flexibility to amend one guy, He was actually studying his part time degree and so driving gave him an income to help support him, support his, his education while he wanted to move into something else. And super happy for him. So, to your point about striking the balance, I'd say, uh, the speed at which the innovation comes, uh, mm hmm, let's use a v specifically, the speed at which the innovation comes hopefully is in time for social acceptance ability for, uh, for large groups to, um, to reroll recently, we had a tripartite meeting where the conversation was about autonomous vehicles and uh, and, and sign posting that they will come and this is in a sign of how for looking the whole industry is whether the regulators, whether the unions, whether the platforms, we're talking about these things early so that workers can be prepared. So the responsibility is to make sure that it's not too denied change, it is to manage the speed of change. And I think we're doing pretty well. Um, babies in particular looks like they still are a while away. But if it suddenly turns overnight that let's say you had a magic wand tomorrow, babies could be here. Um, I think then it would be a case of really man managing through that transition, but without any magic ones already doing the best we can to signpost, doing the best we can to reroll and doing the best we can to ensure that people stay sort of culturally educationally fluid and are willing to reroll and willing to take on new things.
Speaker 1: Um, from your vantage perspective, how many years do you think before we see a sizable number of cars becoming autonomous cars in the, in the ride hailing world?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a number that's far enough away that I'm sure nobody's gonna call me out on it and, and, and nobody's gonna make, well maybe they might, this is a, this is an important podcast. So they may do that. So I am, it's hard for us to be, it's, it's, it's hard to go out on a limb here, significant amounts say 10, 15 years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like, you know, the enthusiasm that all the googles and others had about autonomous vehicles say 57 years ago when it seemed like it was just a question of harnessing enough data and we'll have it, it seems that that's flattened to some extent that, you know, technologically and also from a regulatory perspective, it's not turning out to be that straightforward. Am I missing something here?
Speaker 2: I think the perception is right um, in more controlled environments. So if we talk about ports, porter, Porter quite well defined environments in places like that, in places where you're running a standard loop, I think he's already pretty well known and you know, I mean, these are um, it is these operating environments where you already have, if these uh, commercially operating, um, I think when you're exposing them to the full challenge of, of, of city traffic, then that's where you get so many unpredictable things happening and it is that till the end, ah, and there's just so many cases, eight cases are much more the, the, the norm than the exception. I think that's where it gets pretty tricky, right? And we're not even talking about different climate conditions and we just get rained here, but imagine you're in a place that has rain sleet, snow, hail, maybe some all in the same day. Uh that that makes it much more tricky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, things all of those that you have experienced many times during your various expeditions. Leanne, I think we will end on that note. I really appreciate your sort of, you know, human angle in in looking at this role of technology and innovation. I really appreciate that. So, good luck with logic and good luck with all your other demanding pursuits. See liam. Thanks very much for your time and insights.
Speaker 2: Thank you Time. A real pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: It's great to have you Thanks to our listeners to Kobe time was produced by Kendall Rich from Spice Studios daisy. Sherman validly provided additional systems. Kobe time is for information only and does not represent any trade recommendations. All 76 episodes of the podcast are available on YouTube and on all major platforms. Cast platforms including apple, google and Spotify. As for our all research publications, webinars and live streams. You can find them by googling Devious Research Library. Have a great day