Speaker 1: Mhm Hello, you're listening to Kobe time a podcast series on markets and economies from dBS group research on camera break. Chief economist, Welcome to our 73rd episode today we will take a break from current affairs and talk about something for the medium term, specifically the direction of technology to better our lives and the kind of work that has been done here in Singapore by Interpret entrepreneurs to achieve that. Our guest is married Bhandari Ceo and founder of Vulcan Ai, an artificial intelligence company that focuses on building safety and productivity solutions for industry. 4.0 will elaborate on all that. Previously. Manic was a senior partner at EY where he set up and ran the analytics business for Asean and delivered a i powered productivity projects across government. Agriculture, transport and logistics sectors. Manic and very welcome to Covid Time. Good
Speaker 2: morning tomorrow. Thanks for having me on into the conversation. Great
Speaker 1: to have you here. I have had you know, small chit chat about this issue with you in the past but I look forward to having an in depth chat today. Money let's begin by setting some context as a tech entrepreneur based in Singapore, you're part of the local ecosystem. So even before we talk about your company and your products, tell us about your experience with the open innovation program and I N. D. A. And also for the benefit of the listeners introduced to them what these programs are.
Speaker 2: Yeah Tamar in Singapore. You know, there's a whole lot of Corporates, there are government agencies which have various problem statements like they could be dealing with issues regarding to manpower, safety, security, many different issues and problems statements Now what happens is sometimes, you know, when you are looking for an answer to that problem statement, there may not be a ready solution for that. And if you want the smartest brains to work on it, you would typically do a, you know an RFP and a big consulting company will come in and they will custom build a very nice solution for you and it turns out to be pretty expensive, takes a year and it's, it's, I mean and it may still fail, right? So so that kind of is one of the reasons why an open innovation program works quite well. So what the government has tried to do is they have multiple problem statements which they collect sometimes from government agencies, sometimes from Corporates and then they have an ecosystem of startups as well as companies And they connect the two. So there are problem solvers and there are problems statement owners so they host these challenges every few months. They lived down the problem statements and then as a startup you can take a look at it and then two things can happen. One is, you may look at the problem statement and say, hey, I've, I've done something like that before and I can take what I have changed it and I think I can solve that problem or the second is you look at it and then you say which is what we did is that this problem seems worth solving right, if we can solve this problem, I think we can make a lot of money because a lot of other companies will have similar problem statements so you go in with that mindset and what the government does, I am doing what they do is they essentially give a little bit of a prize money to do a POC. So you get 2000, Yes, so you get a proof of concept, so you get some seed money, so it's like a seed round but without any state, but basically I m d puts up some money, the problem order puts up some money and that that gets you going and then once it's proven like you know it works, the product works, then the company may adopt it or they may actually help fund it further so that you can actually product is the solution and sort of go to market with it. And I think the reason it's a very good program because what it does is basically channeling the best thought leadership and capability to a problem statement which is very relevant and it's, it's not like just for one person, it may actually help the whole industry, so it's a good utilization of resources, you know, fast prototyping fail fast and basically startups also get the exposure because sometimes startups may not have the business acumen or the network to actually understand what the real problem statements are from the industry. So this connecting of the industry with some young and sometimes, you know, not so young entrepreneurs to solve problems. It's a it's a pretty good way of doing things.
Speaker 1: Is this a unique to Singapore? Because I can't think in the US for example, the U. S. Government providing interesting incentives and not just for Silicon Valley companies is a sink or swim situation. There is has Israel and stuff like this or is it something that is very special to Singapore?
Speaker 2: I think Israel does a bit of that. Plus there are, I guess there are accelerators and then the accelerators are basically some like it's like a informal JV between some big corporate is and then some vcs and they tried to do that, right? So they identify some startups and then they post those problem statements. But yeah, I've not come across as maybe there are other programs, but the I N. D. Open innovation program, I think now it's in its seventh round and I think there are like 100 problem statements which which have been put forward and it is operating at scale and the good thing is they are basically unlocking startups capabilities across the world, so it's not just, you know, Singapore startups can apply like one of the challenges which we won. We were selected from 18 other startups around the world, right? So it is not just that just because you're a singaporean startup, you get some extra credit. But um, but yeah, it's good
Speaker 1: fascinating money. We'll talk about the innovations and the solutions that your company is doing, but can you at the top of your head think of a few other problem statements that were done that you didn't go for but you thought were interesting and others are engaging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think one of the ones I remember were sort of Vancouver 19 came out and you know, there was you know, social distancing and you know, contact tracing which was supposed to be done. Then there was a startup which I think very quickly started using some, you know, barely devices which the workers at construction sites could basically put on and then you could keep track of, you know, people who are supposed to be in zone versus zone B and when they come close to each other, they it buzzes and it is basically on the prevention side. So I think that was pretty good. I think the technology was being used in cruises and casinos and other sort of use cases, they quickly took that and adapted it. And then I think now thousands of workers are already using it.
Speaker 1: Right, right. I'm pretty sure that in terms of solutions for saying climate change related activities, whether it's an easy to use current calculator or you know, not just people can have on a daily basis in terms of pursuing responsible behavior. I've seen applications like that all over the world and sometimes it is sort of useful to have a non commercial body sort of, you know, nudge the privacy thing, you can actually make money out of it and and do good at the same time. And, and of course, you know, money as we go deeper into the conversation and I'll talk about this more. So let's talk about your company Vulcan. Ai I'm in case you're curious about the genesis of the name and why and how you set it up.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I'll start with the name because I mean if anybody, if anybody has watched a star trek, right? So then then you know, Spock comes to mind And but that was not the reason why we call it Vulcan, I think when I started Vulcan I was wanted to focus on industry 4.0 And because my point of view was that that you know, as we digitize, I think we there is a new way of doing things, whether it's improving the processes or improving yield and or now more recently digitizing of human work. Right? So you're focusing on industry 4.2. And then I was looking at like who was the like God of, you know, manufacturing or metal works and then welcome was that? And then welcome click. I, I immediately thought, hey, that's also like a spot and his whole point was that, you know, that alien sort of race was about, um, not going with, you know gut or emotion, but every decision they make is very logical and fact based and that is what, that is the cultural change we wanted to drive in industry four point oh so it was a combination of those two ideas and then how that's how I came up with the name balcony.
Speaker 1: So
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah. So the longer story is, I mean I've been in consulting nearly 20 years and we, it was fun. I mean, but you moved from client to client and you solve very interesting problems and clients pay money to solve those problems and do that work because it's too difficult to do it for themselves or it may not be poor to them. Right? So I had been working interestingly, I mean initially mostly work was with telcos and banks and that's mostly consumer data. So it was becoming quite mature already but it's the same thing, how do we sell more? How do we manage risk? That is the problem statement essentially. Then when I switched gears to another industry, so the whole agriculture and forestry industry was going through a early stages of some big transformation. So the drones were becoming more and more pervasive. But the problem with drones was basically when you fly drones on these huge plantations or forests, uh it's hours and hours of flying data that you've collected and you traditionally had people looking at that, I'm holding it and then saying, okay that three there may have an issue. It doesn't look that green. Right? So we did the math for one of the biggest paper companies in the world. And if they actually processed all the drone imagery manually, it would have taken them 100 people in 100 years to go through it. So it was just not possible. So one of the innovations we did was basically used of ai to automatically process all this imagery which is being collected and then pinpoint exactly which tree had an issue so they could do something about it. Now this project because 12 months, 20 people $3 million. So of course for a big company, I mean, which is like a $10, $12 billion dollar company, this is still pretty good on the way. Then we started thinking that hey, if the same thing, if we have to democratize it and make it available for a small farmer somewhere, this is not going to work. Right? So how do we make that shift? So the reason I started working, I was then how do we take some of the best kind of solutions and ideas which we had conceptualized for big MNCs big companies, billion dollar companies and build it into products which are bite sized, which even the small guy on the street or the small farmer can start using. So so coincidentally and I think that was a pretty good meeting of the minds. One of my biggest clients which is a big Indonesian family business which have interests in oil palm and paper and forestry. They said that's great. Like you build it for us and then can be monetized it and open it up for others because this should become a utility. This should not, this does not have to be a secret competitive advance. This should be a utility and everybody should benefit from it. Right. So that's how we started. We started as like a JV between me and another big family business and now we are at a stage where we have built these products and we are opening up for other companies and we are making the product so easy to use that and so easy to deploy that smaller smaller companies. And the vision is that a small farmer saying Bangladesh somewhere can just open an app and get access to the same technology which just five years back people were paying millions of dollars to access.
Speaker 1: All right. So among the products that your company sells. So would that be the first one that looking at satellite imagery of agriculture feeds?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. So I think our first basically flagship product is and I will tell you a little bit of a story right? Because it's important to visualize how why it is important. So like one client of ours is 500,000 hectares. That's the amount of plantation they have, They have. So which is I think 20 times the size of Singapore. So
Speaker 1: that's a good and scaling point. Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah and it's an oil pump. So the way it works and basically you plant a tree and then that plant gives you food for the next 25 years. Right? And then uh you don't need to do much actually, you just have to give some fertilizer once or twice a year. And then every day basically there are harvesters who are going to the tree and harvesting the fruit and then the fruit is then sent to the mill where it's converted into oil and there's the same oil which is you know if you eat the Mcdonald's the soft serve cone or french fries, it's the same oil which is being used. Palm oil is pretty prevalent, We may not know it, but it's there. And even if you have some beauty clean products, it's their great
Speaker 1: shampoos, toothpaste.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's everywhere. Right. And so the biggest things you can do to sort of change the the yield in terms of if I have 500,000 hectares, how do I make more money. The only thing you can do is make sure that tree is healthy and it's producing the fruit, right? That's the and the quality of the fruit is good and the levers there are mostly whether you cannot control, right? So whether it is what it is fertilization you can control. And then the second thing you control is harvesting, you have to harvest is that the right thing? Like it's simple, right? So if you have a garden then you if you're planting tomatoes you will you know pluck it when it's like ripe and very because you want to use it immediately but with fruit it's a bit different. So right so the timing of the harvesting is is really important. So they have 30,000 workers, right? So they have to then Basically go and walk this 500,000 hectares and look at the trees and then figure out whether the trees are healthy or not. It's hot. There are there is wildlife, there are snakes. So for a regular person who's in the village and who's helping run this plantation life is pretty tough. You may be walking tens of kilometers every day trying to find issues but in the end you may not still find it because you don't know where to look, right? So the big change we did was get the satellite image, we do the processing. Then we give the location of each tree where there could be an issue. Then this guy goes to that particular location and verifies whether it's correct or not and then takes a picture, sends it back and say yes there is an issue. Either we need to spray some pesticide more, more fertilizer. So it's basically completely changing the way things used to operate earlier where people are just going around randomly walking and tough life. Whereas now they only go to the places where they actually need to go. So it's a much more targeted and less work. But the impact is a lot more.
Speaker 1: Can you give us a sense of what kind of impact we're talking about? Is it like a 5% increase in yield or more than that?
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so the the the yield is it Would be between 2-5%. Which is and it's just coming from simple I would say fertilizer
Speaker 1: optimization. Right?
Speaker 2: So basically we can actually tell you that, you know, the nitrogen level of this particular tree is a bit low support more fertilizer. So that's the 5%. So if you give the fertilizer right time the food production will go up right at the same time. You also don't want to put too much fertilizer because it's not good for the environment. And the soil is right. So we also find out trees which are good meaning you don't need to fertilize. And So so one of our clients spends $300 million dollars A year on fertilizer and we save like 20%. So which is that 16 million to 16 million a year. But at the same time it's great for the environment because you're not putting chemicals into the soil, right? So it's a so on one side you're increasing year but you're also doing it in a more sustainable way.
Speaker 1: But it could be be a little more regular without giving away your trade secret as it. How is this processing done? I mean is it just a photo image analysis? Like looking at the spectrum that the trees have?
Speaker 2: Yes, you're right. Nearly there. You guessed it. So basically when you take an image from the satellite and it basically measures the reflected its so when the sun bounces off and it has basically infrared and red edge and the visible spectrum. So you have sort of energy bands across the spectrum and then what is bouncing back which they call it reflecting its that will have a very unique spectral sort of profile for different things. So what we've done is we've taken like millions of trees and these trees have been labeled by ground proving that whether it's healthy or not healthy and then we sort of we have matched So the ai matches the spectrum profile with what's good, what's bad and I'm simplifying it, but basically that's what it does. But it has evolved to such an extent that not only does it tell whether it's healthy or not, you can even tell the type of disease which is suffering from. So it could be gannon, normal leaf eating caterpillar. And the beauty of that is once we tell that the person doesn't even have to go and check, You can straightaway go with the right intervention and the insecticide that you have to spray right there and the sooner you fix it, right? So one tree is infected, it's like COVID-19 it can spread. So if I please have it and you don't intervene on time that disease will spread and that's a massive impact on yield. So with satellite imagery you're getting more recurring every three months. What's wrong? You take the action and you sort of nip it in the bud in a way it's like contact tracing
Speaker 1: just hearing this. It sounds like it's a perfect solution for a very large farm. Is this also useful for a small farm?
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean there are so there is obviously an inflection point where it may not make sense for a very small farm because there's a very small farm farmer, you're walking your farm and your whole livelihood depends on it. So you can see visibly if anything is going wrong, right? So it may not make sense in that context. But having said that there are certain things which the satellite imagery gives you, which the human eye cannot. Like I was saying as a human, you only see the visible spectrum. So you see what you see. But the satellite has more spectral band data coming in and in fact a lot of the nutrients and health information is captured in those banks. So the tree may look perfectly fine from outside to a naked eye. But actually there may be something wrong. So it helps still helps with early detection. So it does make sense. I think the only constraint probably is the order size. Let me rewind a little bit. So like six years, seven years back. Um satellite imagery was really expensive and the big governments of the world would use it for defense and intelligence. Right? So now with the satellite space booming and it's pretty congested out there, the cost of satellite imagery is going down. So they have reduced the order size. But even now if you want to get satellite in misery you have to get at least 100 square kilometers. All right, so it would not make sense to get that kind of satellite imagery for the small farmer. But co operatives and governments are sort of getting together source sourcing it at scale and then distributing the insides to the farmers because it does help the economy and the GDP
Speaker 1: fascinating. Okay, so from agriculture to other products that you have some of the stuff that you and I have talked in the past to share with us some of the other things that Vulcan Ai is producing and marketing.
Speaker 2: Sure. The other thing we focused on is what I would call is sort of the worker two point oh I think we talked about industry four point Oh I think there's a lot of talk about ai automatic automating things and you know, robots taking over. But there are certain things which are, you require humans to do that, right? So whether it's like in construction or you're lashing containers on a on a ship or you know, cleaning toilets. I mean of course they're robots but they can't get everywhere. So my I mean I think the point of view I have is that yes, I think productivity gains will happen, but humans are pretty essential and there will be a lot of things, especially physical work, which which may not be completely automated. So how do we make it work and more enriched, safer and better for for blue collar workers. Right, So like during covid 19, your go to Starbucks, but and you can work from there. But then along when you go there, they could also be a cleaner who's cleaning the road, right? So life is pretty tough for them. So I consciously decided that we should be using ai not to just replace humans, but make lives better for the more sort of blue collar workers whose life is pretty tough. So so we developed a solution which basically taps into variables and there is a i in it which sort of gives nudges to them if they are sort of not taking care of their
Speaker 1: health
Speaker 2: or if they fall down during the course of work, then an alert is sent to the supervisors so they can send help or it could be keeping track of their exertion because it's physical exertion and giving them nudges that hey, you may be dehydrated, can you rest a little bit? So it gives them those notches so they can take control over their health and sort of fatigue and exhaustion while they're working. But more importantly, we're also giving visibility to the enterprise level to the employer to basically point out areas or teams which may be overworked and may be at risk of workplace accidents because sometimes people, You know, you may have 50 people working at a construction site And there may be somebody who has a preexisting heart condition and you may not even know that. And you've given him the same amount of work as somebody else and then you but you don't want people to just die on your watch. Right? So this gives them that. Okay, fine, I have the same 50 people but this person I can, you can reallocate resources based on how they react to physical stress or exertion because what we can now show employers is that same amount of exertion. Physical exertion, which is captured based on physical movement and heart rate. What is the impact on fatigue? What is the impact on their heart rate and you can rebalance the workload. So this solution is, you know, targeted at the construction sector, maritime sector facilities management. We are now starting to use it for aircraft cleaning because the other thing we do is just like in your foot bed basically using your hand motion. it can detect whether you're exercising or not. We have work activity detection meaning if you're doing some work it can quantify that work actively. So like in agriculture when you're spraying fertilizer you spray like that. It's a very unique and motion. We use AI which is embedded in the variable to convert it into fertilization then if the plantation owner wants to see okay which part of my plantation was fertilized? Which one was not because most of it is still manual application. We can see we can see that that and we can sort of have a geospatial view of that. So the idea is to make the person's job safer make him more in charge of his own health and and fitness but at the same time also given aggregated view to the employers. So they know where the risk and the hotspots are in their workforce so they can manage it better
Speaker 1: naive question which is is by wearable. Do you mean a watch or does it have to be or could be something else?
Speaker 2: So right now we have our own watch and so we have basically optimized because the one thing we wanted to do was we didn't want to send the data out of the watch. And so we needed like a smartwatch like with some inherent sort of a good processor so that we can embed our aI inside it. So it's always listening in terms of the sensor data and processing it and only when the person has an incident or needs help, we send an alert back
Speaker 1: and what's been the experience so far in terms of overall health and well being of workers in the pilots or the actual cases that you've looked at so far.
Speaker 2: I think surprisingly the workers have been very welcoming. I think they are quite complementary. They, I mean there's two things which literally like one is they think that I mean and rightly so that the company is investing in their safety and
Speaker 1: health. So
Speaker 2: that's good. It's like generally the thing is that, you know, we're just working, working, working, nobody cares enough and you know, finally the company has bought and then is now keeping track of my safety. The second thing, which is more I would say
Speaker 1: on
Speaker 2: a more lighthearted way is that they also feel very happy when they go back to their family and then say, hey, I have a new smartwatch because a smart watch, it has two modes. It has a work mode and it has like a life mode. So when you go to work, it's running all those ai things to keep you safe and productive. But when you check out our work, it's just another smartwatch and you can watch youtube listen to music, you can do all of that. So it comes also as an employee perk. So the reception has been quite good. I think on the corporate side there is some resistance, I won't say to the idea, but some resistance to like what the business cases, right? Because like if you're a company which provides cleaners say to um BFC then they will say I am footing the bill but it's not like DBS is paying me for this, right? So because I am also a service provider to somebody. So the angle we are taking in and this is with the government and the the union is that we need to educate the service buyers. The end clients to basically tell them that you know, safety is important. You don't want a cleaner to slip and break his hip while he's working at, you know, mbf see tower one, right? They say yeah of course we don't want that. Then you say, okay then you're cleaning company. You tell them that you know, they need to equip these solutions in their workforce and to be honest it's like 5 $10 a month per person is hardly anything. So if the solution is there and if people wanted people will definitely take it. Right? So that was one the second one which I don't think is the right attitude. But we do come across some people, I was talking to a person who manages like 100 cleaners and his point, I think he was a bit too transparent was that if I give this watch, then we may discover people who have heart trade issues and then we may have to find replacements for them. Which is true.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course.
Speaker 2: Which is true. But when you're in a constrained labor market you don't want to unearth suddenly and then you're applying to saying, hey, you know then of your cleaners are not healthy enough to do this kind of work I need younger, I need healthier. So there is that you know fear which people have and I think this fear is quite valid for the person who's wearing it. Also like if I have if my sole livelihood it can be impacted just because I'm not healthy. Like for you and me it doesn't make a difference, right? So if I have a hypertension or something and you know I will go to the doctor but I can still continue to my work. But if you're like a small breadwinner and somebody gives you a watch all good. But the watch tells you that actually you're a very high risk of getting a heart attack while you're working and hence we have to find somebody else. It's pretty scary,
Speaker 1: very interesting. I mean yeah it's that wasn't sort and I think that you know of course you know we want all employers to do the right thing which is looking after the well being of their employees. But an employee perspective when they're the sort of bread winner, you are posing a very very interesting dilemma money. Are there other implicated sort of applications of the same model?
Speaker 2: We were doing a lot of work on sort of general improving productivity using a like one of the solutions we have with J. D. C. Town council is around a state inspection. So you know, they are one of the biggest landlords in in Singapore and they also maintain or basically inspect the roads regularly. So given that there is not enough people in Singapore were not able to inspect the roads as regularly as you want and you would have noticed over the years the number of potholes has has has gone up and the portals don't get fixed as soon and it's not just about a comfort, comfortable ride, right? It's a safety risk because people sometimes may swerve out to avoid the Porthole and accident. Plus we have delivery riders. So one of the things we did was we basically took our Ai and embedded into like a small sized device this edge devices now being put in busses and other vehicles as you're just driving around the AI is automatically detecting portals, tagging it with the location and then sending it back. So instead of having somebody inspected once a year. So we have like memorized the road inspection process. So that's another pretty cool project which we're now scaling to the rest of Singapore
Speaker 1: back in the States in the middle of the night. They have this ad it's called I fallen and can't get up at. So it's about the elderly and a signal goes out to the nurse or the caregiver or their Children that you know, the, the elderly person has fallen and they need help. I think you have something like that up your sleeve as well, correct?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. And in fact we were, we have tried to move away from this may be giving away too much, but basically we're trying to move away from the variable because the elderly may not wear it at night and at night is when you have most of these incidents. So we're trying to count with some hacks where you basically stick our device next to the bed and then basically it is able to then figure out whether you're on the bed or you're not on the bed. So a simple rule which basically says, hey, it's nighttime and you've been away from your bed for more than one hour. Send an alert to your family or to somebody else because you should be in your bed. So like simple tweaks like that with technology and you can solve big problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fine line between being too intrusive and being cognizant of one's well being. I think that's where you have to do a lot of tweaking.
Speaker 2: Yes. I mean the way we deal with it is that because in the consumer setting, you can, you can assign who you want the alert to go to. So the power is, is with the person who's like, so you stick the device then you say, okay, this is the person I want to send, So it's like your emergency contact. Right? So it's you who's saying who needs to be alerted?
Speaker 1: That's right, That's right. But I was gonna ask you a question about the lessons for the for the medium term challenges in terms of, you know, bring the customers, but I think more or less covered that. I want to stay with this point because I'm picking up this team from your response is that you are very much in favor of ethical use of Ai, which is a big issue out there and you are a contributing author to Singapore's first Ai ethics body of knowledge. Can you expand on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a great question. So as a I becomes more pervasive, I think we come across um a little bit of ethical dilemmas once in a while, like I was talking to somebody who was doing a project for one of the big casinos and they had, they had developed an Ai model whose objective function was to obviously maximize profit? Right, So it was more around that. How do you optimize the, like the line of credit, like if they want to gamble and how much can you give and how do you manage risk? And but what was missing from that objective function was that are we making this person a, you know habitable gambler and you know, and then that and can you really afford it? Right. So, so now do you do that or do you do the profit optimization? So there is this trade off of course, in pure profit optimization, you also don't want that person to go completely um over the top so that, you know, he goes bankrupt and doesn't come back. So there's always advance but there are these kind of questions which are coming up more and more because in the traditional world it's a human and the human uses some judgment. Part of it is emotional part of it is, you know, profit seeking and you try to balance and you do it but different people may react to it in different ways and the way I work has been basically trained on decisions which have been made in the past. So unless you also tell whether this decision was good about the way I will learn from whatever decisions have been made in the past. So there are some obviously some parameters which we can set to improve the ethical implementation we have. So with that in mind basically the Singapore Government and the Singapore Computer society and it was announced in the World Economic Forum, it's the first sort of body of knowledge of its kind where um there are, you know, case studies in terms of what could go wrong, but they also specify the things that we have to keep in mind to make sure that we're doing the right thing and it has basically four different dimensions. So one is around governance and the governance is basically, you know, in the ai value chain there are different players, it could be the business owner, there's the data guy, there's the Ai guy and then the person who executes it, so who governs that? How do you formulate the right problem statement? And it should also become part of the board agenda because things can really go wrong if you don't implement it correctly. So it talks a little bit about governance around that. Then the second important point is around human centric city, which is basically saying hey we still need to put humans at the center of it and when we design something, it has to be designed with the humans best interests in mind. So then there are sort of steps on how to do that. The third pieces around operations management and operations management is more around over a period of time, circumstances change, environment changed data changes and the model made drift. So when you put an Ai model into production, how do you make sure it is not biased, it is fair and there should be like statistical measures put in place to manage the operations of that. And lastly it talks about stakeholder communication, so like how do you communicate to um every user in the summer? The ecosystem. Right. So basically if you are in the gambling example, if you're refusing to give credit widely doing that and how do you explain it? Because people may say, hey, I didn't get it, but my friend got it, so it doesn't have all the answers, but at least it gives you a toolkit to start thinking, start sensitizing yourself to ethics and some frameworks to be more smart about ethical implementation.
Speaker 1: I think it's extremely important to do that money, I mean the world is almost flat in terms of social media apps and various uh you know, a wearable apps that are ubiquitous developing country, developed country across societies, but the capacity to deal with some of these ethical ramifications seems to be very uneven, so I'm glad that you know, you and your colleagues in Singapore have sort of pushed it through and I hope that it's not just a question of Singaporean companies benefiting from it, but it has some degree of global reach because you know, it affects all of us. Facebook is not just for some rich countries, it's everywhere. Uh and and similarly I want to talk a bit about your personal experience as an entrepreneur in general and also in the context of, of being an entrepreneur in Singapore now, you know, it's a small nation, it is wealthy, it is well educated, has world class infrastructure notwithstanding the potholes that you were talking about, but the markets here are small by global standards and so is the talent for, So how should a local entrepreneur deal with this scaling issue as far as Singapore is concerned?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what Singapore has is I think a very forward looking government and it's, I think they catch the uptrends pretty early on, like I think right now it's tech, it's a, i it's you know, all the consumer apps, so I think there is and we're now switching very quickly to make sure that we have enough talent um to you know, serve that demand. So that's one plus there is a lot of support, I would say both financial support as well as um you know, just guidance and and getting local entrepreneurs connected with local companies to do some schoolwork, prior new solutions, but also globalized. I mean the way they have architected the whole value chain is pretty amazing, right? So, very early stage you have these innovation programs where people give problem statements and you do that. So we also benefited from that. Right? So some of our products are coming out of that, so you do the problem when you do the proof of concept, you have the prototype, there is some seed funding, you do that. Then the next step is basically you have, so I M B A will help with that then, as it starts to get some traction, there is enterprise Singapore which focuses on local smes right? So as a local startup will qualify as a local sme initially. Right? So then they have programs where they would even give you 80% of the cost of doing a pilot with any other company in Singapore. So now you sort of have a few pilot clients and the product market fit is established. The next step is basically you want to globalize now the Singapore government also has sort of funding and support available to open offices overseas and again, do those pilots now, once you've done that, then obviously then the, the VCS and the institutional investors and kicking and they also helped make those connections. So the infrastructure is there, the funding is there? I think the talent we're slowly getting there. So it's it's actually a pretty good place to, you know, have a startup and do things, but but you're right in terms of scale, you may not have that scale. Right? So, so it's a great place to start a startup, but you have to have the mindset that I need to make it global to really make it big. So even when you start in conceptualizing you, you always have to put the lens on that. Is this is this problem statement, something which can apply to other markets in hardware globalized. So I think that, so it's just a good springboard, I could, I would say a test bed to do things, but you're definitely, but the capital is here, but you have to think global, if you have to be successful,
Speaker 1: how open is the rest of Asia to Singapore entrepreneurs, so if you develop a product here um introducing and marketing it in Southeast Asia or South Asia or even the holy grail of all china, I mean is that a considerable realistic dream and and other examples where companies have gone big,
Speaker 2: so I will give two data points on that and this may not represent You know everything. I think one is I think the reputation of Singapore as a tech hub is still not there, I think it's not like if you talk about Israel then, oh wow, that anything which is coming out of here out of Israel is good, so we are not like that, I think what were known in the market is more for like valuation capital and people raising big rounds and things like that, right? But I think in terms of tech, I think our branding is, is not there yet, so other markets may not immediately think that just because you're a Singapore startup, you must be good in tech, that is not the connection they will make. But having said that, what I realized is that if you're playing in the industries which Singapore is going for like you can be a tech company, which is saying the real estate or construction sector, you will be taken more seriously because Singapore is known for that, if you're in Fintech and yep you will be taken more seriously because Singapore is a financial help, right? And we have the, you know, one of the world's biggest ports and maritime industry is big, right? So if you do something tech in maritime again, you will be taken very seriously. Same thing with the airlines, you have Singapore airlines, changi airport, So if you, so if you are in a tech startup, which is focusing on these industries, which Singapore is famous for, then I think you have a much better chance of being sort of appreciated and taken seriously than if you like for us for sure. Like when I talk about agriculture, people will say, hey, what I mean, Singapore doesn't even have agriculture, what are you, have you? Right? So they will not take place. But of course we counter that because we have years of experience and even though the team is here, our experiences outside Singapore, right? We don't have a client in Singapore, but everybody's outside. So I think that's the challenge. The other thing I've, I think, which is very, some is we have talked to some disease and we talked about like, you know, the ease of getting funded in Singapore and, and so this was some Malaysia based VC and their point was, and I'm not sure whether it's right or wrong or even politically correct, but what he was saying that don't take money from sort of Singapore because you may end up getting fat and lazy, right? So basically there's a lot of easy money out there and he's saying over the last 10 years, he's seeing so many startups, it's so easy to make money that there, it is not the scene where, you know, there is a startup guy and you know, he's worrying about his next paycheck and he just has to get it right. So that kind of aggression, desperation is missing from the Singapore startups and his point of view is that, you know, Singapore startups have it easy, there's a lot of government support, right?
Speaker 1: It's it's interesting, right? So you could argue that today, even in Silicon Valley, there is so much money and you were talking about accelerators earlier, it may not be driven by the public sector, but there are these very, very large accelerators out there which also make capital available to just about any single idea that's out there, which also leads to a massive boom bust cycle. So I think, I don't think that isn't necessarily specific to public support for entrepreneurism, private sector also overreaches and over invest and invest in ridiculous things many times as well. Um, but no, I, you know, from the very beginning of this conversation, I've been struck by the proactive role the government of Singapore plays indulging entrepreneurs in going in the right direction, as long as, you know, just producing value for the society, I see nothing wrong with that. Um you briefly touched upon skills and labor. So let's get into that. We've been reading a lot about it lately. And as a, you know, a company that is growing, that you run manic, I'm sure you recruit regularly. So what are you seeing in terms of the homegrown supply of labor and maybe going even once to further, what can be done to get singaporeans ready for this tech heavy future that is inevitably out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's quite clear that there are not enough singaporeans to meet the current tech demand. Um, we've seen, you know, salary expectations changing within days. It's like when you interview somebody a week ago, his salary expectations are X. And then by the time you get around to making an offer to three weeks later, he's already got three or four other offers and now he's expecting to X. Right? So that is just not sustainable. Right? And I think there is this huge divergence which is happening between the tech haves and the tech have not, right? Because at the same time, I, you know, I take grab rights and then I'm talking to some of these drivers and you know, some of them have been displaced. Um, and they had, you know, regular jobs before covid and they got displaced and, and smart guys, you know, but the, it's so much easier to basically for the short term, like if you have a two year blip something like a covered to basically just become a grab driver, do delivery and you know, you can sort of, you can support your family. Right? So, but that displaced group and I think in the earlier days we had semiconductor and other industries. Right? I think that to us offers a much bigger pool of people and opportunity and that can change in six months. Right? So if you address the talent from like let's start teaching quoting in schools and then let's have, you know, six new programs saying n tur in us for computer science, it will take time. It will take you know, four or 56 years to see that come on board. But if you take some of these other people who are professionals, they're very serious. They are very hard working and you know between 30 to like 50 years of age. And if we can tap into that and get them some sort of basic um tech skills that unlocks a huge opportunity for us. Right? So, so I think that if we have, we have to focus on that. But I think it needs
Speaker 1: some
Speaker 2: education because the programs are there. Right. You have the skills future and you have a whole lot of subsidy available but we need to do more in terms of education that computer science doesn't need to be that complicated right? With some, it's and there are a lot of no code platforms. So you may not even need to cold and there are other aspects of that you can get into, it could be designed, it could be testing, it could be other things where you may not necessarily have a code, so if we tell people that, you know, you can be a non techie but still do a good tech role, I think that may unlock a lot of the sort of talent which we have, but traditionally we've, we've not been able to tap into
Speaker 1: no code platform. That's a very, very nice way of putting it to Monica and I think that would be music to the ears of many who out there are keen to embrace the
Speaker 2: future
Speaker 1: where technology is everywhere, but they feel that, you know, their math skills are not good enough or their coding skills are never going to be good enough and therefore they probably will get left behind. And I think to your point that there is a whole ecosystem that is beyond just the engineering aspect, but it's also very um high value added and people can have for the carriers and make lots of money and be part of the whole tech side. Guys know manic looking at the video, it looks like you're in your office, so you're not working from home.
Speaker 2: Um no, I've, I've been working from the office more and more in the last few months. Yeah,
Speaker 1: Alright. Why I thought people like you can work anywhere and have given on the concept of office or am I misjudging that.
Speaker 2: So I so we have team A team B and I like to spend time with each of the teams and I think some of the brainstorming work white boarding, I think it's best done face to face and but what we've done for our team is we have no prescribed regime as in who needs to come and when they need to come we let our ports figure out when they want to come and so it's pretty flexible and we are now using the office more as a obviously like a social brainstorming kind of facility where people just come in and your white board and because we have physical infrastructure, right? So like we have the watch and we have sensors and all that. So it's become more like a lab. So you basically come here, you try out different things and it's a good people want to come here. Right? So I think when the government allowed people to come back, they were so happy everybody was, everybody was back. Yeah,
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to hear that. Especially your point that you know the workplace is also becoming a point of sort of social interaction for the team to come together. So yes, some of the work may be doable from home. Maybe a lot of the work but at the end of the day you work with human beings and you need to see them in person to get full synergy. I think that's a great note to conclude our discussion. Monique Landry, thank you so much for your time and insights.
Speaker 2: Thanks thanks
Speaker 1: also to our listeners. Kobe time was produced by ken diverge from Spice Studios. This is his first episode of Kobe time. Welcome ken, daisy Sharma and violently also provided additional assistance. Kobe time is for information only and does not represent any trade ideas or recommendations. All 73 episodes of Kobe time are available on Youtube and all major podcast platforms including apple google and Spotify. As for our research publications, webinars and live streams. You can find them all by googling Devious Research Library. Have a great day.