Speaker 1: Welcome to Copy Time, a podcast series on Markets and Economies from DVS Group Research. I'm Tambe, chief economist. Welcoming you to our 114th episode. Today, we will do a year end wrap up and a look ahead to 2024 with our favorite market strategist. Ko Sh Kumar is president of Shrier Global Strategies based in Santa Monica California. He's also a senior fellow at the Milken Institute. Earlier, she spent 22 years with the trust company of the West that are known as TCW, where his last position was Chief Global strategist and chairman of asset allocation Committee. SHS. Views on asset allocation investment risk management are widely followed in the financial industry as well as by numerous institutional investors. Shri. A warm welcome back to C
Speaker 2: Time. Thank you very great to be back with you, Timor. It's always a pleasure to chat, talk with you about the various issues and I look forward to today's discussion.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Shri and uh you know, year end wrap up, I really could not think of a better person to have a conversation with. So let's start by taking stock of the markets uh for the year 2023. What surprised you on the rates, FX equities and credit space? Big question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a big question but also in some ways, Timor, an easy answer. I cannot say that anything with respect to rates, with respect to equities, with respect to credits. We maybe the credit spreads having remained so restrained is probably somewhat of a surprise. The biggest surprise of them all is the volatility that we have had in the markets. Uh It has made, made it very difficult to guess the path for interest rates, the path for equities. And if you made a decision on what was going to happen, you found analysts changing their views in 2 to 4 weeks, they completely had to reverse themselves. That is, I think the big surprise and to me, the big change happened even within that, within what happened on the rate front and think about October 22nd, 23rd, the 10 year treasury yield peaking at 5.02% and a couple of minutes ago, it just closed at 4.2%. So you've had an 80 basis point move which has taken place in just over a month and what explains the 80 basis point move absolutely nothing animal spirits. And that is what is surprising to me that markets will go up and go down, especially on the fixed income side with very little to explain for it. But I have my own reason. For it and I'm happy to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Well, let's, let's talk about that in a second. I just want to ask you about the FX space, the dollar strength through the year and now the quasi capsulation we're seeing against the yen and also against some em currencies. I mean, what do you make of that?
Speaker 2: I think it all comes to what the expectation is for the fed and the dollar weakness that has taken place recently, as you said, with respect to the yen, with respect to some Asian currencies is not matched by the dollar Euro relationship. The dollar has actually appreciated from about let's say dollar 10 to the euro a few weeks ago to dollar and seven cents to the euro. Now, what is the difference? The difference is between the Euro and the US dollar? The expectation is that the Euro European Central Bank is probably going to do something very urgently with respect to cutting interest rates perhaps much faster than the fed. And that's, and as far as the relationship with the Asian currencies is concerned, there are two things I think at work. One from the US side, the expectation that the fed may indeed cut rates very quickly. Despite Jerome Powell's protestations that he's not going to do so. And the second one is again that Mr Ueda at the Bank of Japan may be getting ready to get rid of the 1% peak that they that they informally fall over the 10 year J GB yield. And if that's the case and it's allowed to go up, clearly, it marks a further appreciation of the yen with respect to the dollar.
Speaker 1: So we uh every week have a tactical trades, uh monitor that we do with our strategies, make them, make the calls. The EU R US D call is the one that we really have gotten it wrong in the last couple of months. But again, to your point, these things change in a very short duration. The view on the market in the euro was very different two months ago. And it's, it's evolved around the European outlook and to your point about the E CBS policy direction, which I mean, I have a feeling might again change in the early part of 2024 if data flows were to change. All right, going back to rates, I am interested in a couple of things. So one is the whole us fiscal picture and it impact on rates. Second is the whole supply demand of bonds. I mean, in 2024 or 2023 to your point, this entire rally of the last couple of months or even less than that has happened still against the back of a really poor fiscal outlook. So how do we reconcile the market structure by that interest as well as the rather alarming supply side of the bonds?
Speaker 2: Great questions and very timely let me start out in this way. I share your concern about the fiscal mismanagement that has gone on in the United States. It began with the Trump administration. It has accelerated in the, in the Biden administration. It's a bipartisan effort to ruin the fiscal situation so nobody can especially take credit for that. They are all responsible for it. However, as you said, the, the auctions treasury auctions are going well, the auctions are all the bonds are being placed and without any difficulty so far. And that's what brought the 10 year yield down to 420 this Tuesday afternoon in the United States that this is, I would give an analogy to explain what is happening. You're looking to buy a home and there is only one home available in that neighborhood. It's not in great shape, it's actually deteriorating, but you want a home and that is a good place to put your money and to try to improve it in the future or you can go without a home, what are you going to do about it? So if you are a global investor, if you do not like the US Treasury's policies and I don't, but where are you going to go? Are you going to go into Chinese Renminbi? You're not going to go into the Euros and the German market is too small to take it. There is no other alternative. Five years ago, the thought was China would be a competitor to the United States in terms of where the US dollar is going. And the Chinese Renminbi Yuan would surpass the US Dollar in terms of supremacy. It just hasn't happened and I don't think it is going to happen in the foreseeable future. So from if you were Janet Yellen and you were looking at the situation, you don't have much to worry about the global demand is going to exist. And that's the reason why the US fiscal mismanagement, the big important topic though it is it is essentially in the background. It's not very relevant to explain bond yields.
Speaker 1: It is rather remarkable treat. I mean, I have been looking at ownership data by investor T and of course, you know, fed, we know to the QT its holding of us situations have come down. Uh when we look at Asia, which used to be a very large buyer of us treasuries, that's not quite there anymore. Uh Middle Eastern Central banks do buy a bit, but they're clearly not offsetting all the lackluster demand in most parts of Asia. So the uh the gap if you will is being picked up by the private sector, both us private sector and non us private sector have bid very, very enthusiastically for us treasuries through the course of this year. Um So it goes back to your point that you don't really like the Chinese home and the European home, you may not like the US home that much, but it's still AAA. So you used to buy the US home.
Speaker 2: Exactly. That is what you're doing. And unless something changes to the contrary and what could that change be? You need to get a rapidly developed European capital market that's not going to happen within the next 2 to 3 years. And the Chinese completely take the change, their policies, attract foreign direct investments become much more capitalistic than they have and put down communism and push up the importance of markets that's not going to happen. So when all of that is the case, it's a very easy bet that us dollar is where you're going to be. There's one competition though, look at the price of gold and I have to speak to a client early next week. And I'm pointing out that first for the first time in quite a while gold is getting a life. And the reason that is the case is because you're going to have a situation when rates are going to come down in the United States, we'll reserve to later as to why rates may come down. But when rates are going to come down, holding us dollars, whether in the form of treasuries or in the form of other assets becomes less attractive and the opportunity cost of holding gold goes down, which is I think what is going to happen? I think the gold price is going to go up, but it's not as if you can use gold as a currency to physically move from one to the other. So as long as that's not the case, it's very little competition still for the, for the dollar supremacy in global markets.
Speaker 1: Well, we've also seen a pretty spectacular reversion of value in Bitcoin, but we'll keep that aside free. Um One final question on that, as I said, I want to go to the US economy after that and we will talk about credit leaders. I just want to talk a little bit about equities with you. Uh It's been a, you know, remarkable year for equities in 2023. Initially, poor outlook than the A I tail wind drove the magnificent seven stocks up substantially. And now we're ending 2023 actually in a rather high. Despite the fact that S and P 500 pe is extremely high. The yield gap vis A vis the US Treasury is still substantial and still people buy a lot of stocks,
Speaker 2: right? Uh People buy a lot of stocks because I think there are 22 reasons I would attribute to it from a macro point of view. And first of all, you have a situation uh where despite the higher rates, the fed is also at the being going very easy with respect to policy. Despite 5.5% of interest rate increases, I still do not think the situation is as tight as it should be. You talked for instance, about the balance sheet being reduced by quantitative tightening. But I point out in a recent write up that between March of 2020 March of 2021 one year, the balance sheet of the fed increased by 77% to about $7.6 trillion in March of 2021. And right now, it is standing at $7.7 trillion. If you compare today with March of 2021 there has been no quantitative tightening. It's all a matter of your perspective. It's a matter of where we are standing when you're viewing it. The other point is that the interest rates were reduced to zero and maintained when the economy was recovering and that was highly irresponsible and you cannot make up for eating an unlimited amount of food and drinking a lot by saying that you're going to go hungry and you're going to stop eating for the next week. It doesn't, you do not get back to good health as a result of what you did before. So that's close to what the Fed is doing. They made a huge mistake. They've never admitted it. By the way, Jerome Powell called the increase in the inflation rate as quote unexpected. It has nothing to do with monetary policy. It has nothing to do with zero interest rates or increase in the balance sheet. So I think there is so one reason why the equities have continued to do well is because there is a lot of liquidity. Thanks to the Federal Reserve. Second, you refer to the fiscal deficit. You are, it is not your time to pay the piper. You do not have to pay any penalty for the fiscal deficit, but you can enjoy the benefit of the deficit and that stimulus is also helping the equity market. So that is the second reason why I think it's persisting When does it come to an end? And that's where I differ from the consensus. The consensus believes that there will be some form of a recession, maybe a mild recession, a soft landing, but that still requires the fed to cut interest rates because inflation will come down to very low levels. I disagree. Janet Yellen said earlier today that she believes that she disagrees that the last one mile of inflation fight is the toughest it is. I have followed markets for 50 years and every time starting from the Richard Nixon author Burns Years, they have been very difficult once you bring it down to very low levels, it unless you show determination to keep it there. So that is again a reason why there is a concern in the market about equities, something may break in the system, you may have a credit even which will bring the equities down. And then of course, you have a period of equities and the pressure and before they pick up again, so think about December 2008 to early March of 2009, December 2008. We were still suffering from the aftermath of Lehman Brothers. The Federal Reserve had cut interest rates to zero. They talked about quantitative easing in a, they basically increased it in a massive manner after September of 2008. But it took until March 9th of 2009 for the S and P 500 to reach its bottom. So you may have a situation like that where equities go down, but that's going to be the time you go and when this blood on the street you buy again. So my outlook for equities is from the current level go down perhaps in the next six months. It then languishes for 3 to 4 months at that stage. Then the fed once again introduces quantitative easing brings down the uh brings down the interest rate. It doesn't matter what the inflation rate is. As for the, for the central bank, inflation is a consideration only when there is no crisis. When there is a crisis, you set aside your inflation concerns and just inflate. And that's I think what's going to happen that will help equities and that is also going to be very beneficial overall to risk assets.
Speaker 1: Well, it will be consistent with the reaction function of the fed that you have been writing about for many years. Uh Shri and in the last two podcasts that you and I have done over the last 34 years. Uh You, you've gotten that perspective, you know, absolutely spot on that, you know, market considerations, Trump inflation consideration whenever the markets are, you know, convulsing. Um If we, it's been a remarkable year for the US economy at the beginning of this year, consensus forecast was growth was going to slow substantially. It didn't at all. I think US will probably end up with 2.5% growth for 2023. So higher than 2022. Uh and it will take that momentum to some extent into 24. So before we talk about 24 just the performance of the first three quarters including the spectacular third quarter that we saw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh two or three points to answer to that. First of all, once again, it is the extent of stimulus that existed. And for instance, toward the end of 2022 it was estimated that there was somewhere in the range of 1.7 trillion worth of excess surplus in the hands of consumers. And it is showing up in terms of retail sales levels. It is showing up in terms of for a while the low participation rate that existed in the labor market. So that is one reason why, why I think uh you have the the vibrant US economy. The second you mentioned is clearly the A I the revolution, there is a productivity growth and that is showing up in recent productivity numbers. Uh being healthy productivity again, is a very volatile concept. You have it going up for quite a few quarters and then it does you cannot sustain it. So that's the second reason why I think it is sustained. Uh But the question is when you look at the overall us economy market and when you look, by the way, when you compare it with what happened to the what the treasury market is telling you the eel curve, the 2 to 10 eel curve inverted in early July of 2022. So that's about 17 months ago and invariably every time it has resulted in a recession. And now you see that in terms of slower labor market growth, wages are coming down to some extent, the jolts report as we call it, the job openings are not as strong as they used to be. The quit rate has gone down from earlier levels. So all of those are suggesting that it is slowly starting to take shape. So the answer to your issue, which is I think very relevant is you have not banished recession, you have not gone into a state of Nirvana where you have perennial rapid economic growth. What you have is a situation where rapid growth was promoted by technological changes as well as by the stimulus, but eventually it is going to revert and you're going to reach a situation where the recession is going to come. It is delayed but not denied, denied,
Speaker 1: delayed but not delighted. Uh One thing that did not get, uh denied earlier this year was the regional banks. So we had quite a few in your home state of California, in particular, uh, regional bank failures. We saw a pretty strong, uh, uh, you know, sort of intervention by the Fed and nothing has happened since then. Uh But I, I worry that, you know, there is, you know, duration mismatch all over the economy. Uh, and the way interest rates went up and then came down, there's bound to be some financial accidents. So what's your sense? I mean, are there risks lurking here and there?
Speaker 2: I am looking for an accident as you call it or more generally a credit event in euphemistic terms to take place sometime within the next six months. And I can give you a few candidates, more banks are affected by what happened similar to March, except that this time they are somewhat bigger, not just small banks but medium sized banks. Why does that happen recently? An estimate by a study by the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas suggested that $550 billion worth of assets of us banks are under water and that is the equivalent of 30% of regulatory capital. Now that is for the entire banking system. But clearly there are some banks which are in much better shape than that or they have other assets to offset the losses they have taken in buying long dated treasuries or long dated mortgage backed securities and see the yields go up after that. But then if you say that there are some smaller banks which are accounting for $550 billion or most of it, you're talking about them using up much more than 30% of the regulatory capital. That is a national average. That is one sign of trouble that I can see. Second one is the fact that you have the commercial real estate problem, which is essentially like a tsunami. I mean tsunami doesn't happen one instant. It gathers force for a while. And then by the time you see it, it is too powerful as of now hand where there are buildings in New York and San Francisco, which are changing hands at much, much lower prices than they did in 2019. Sometimes at 60 to 70% discount from the price that was paid four years ago. And that's one. And secondly, the interest rate high interest rates mean that very many of the landlords are now able to go to the banks and say I'm not going to pay you the higher interest rate you want us to pay. You have two options. You can either reduce the interest rate for us and I can pay you a lower interest rate or second here are the keys keys to the property, you can take it. Goodbye. I'm leaving. In either case, the banks are clearly at a disadvantage. This has not come out in full and has not been discussed in public when you look at the banking regulators, when they go before Congress or when Janet Yellen repeatedly says the banking system in the United States is very sound. That word is hers, not mine. And she has repeated it quite a few times. My responses show me how it is sound but there is no explanation. There's nothing that happens. So that's the second one that I worry about. Third regulations on the banking system are tightening and the regulators are telling the banks not to make so many quote unquote risky loans. These were the same regulators who thought that buying long dated us treasuries is risk free. Uh I learned from my work at Drexel Burnham, working with Michael Milken, that us treasuries can be among the most risky assets because they carry an enormous amount of interest rate risk, not the credit risk. So when that happens and they have lost a lot of money though they are that they are going to be pushed to lend less money as the recession approaches. So if there is a credit crunch that takes place, that can add to the overall tsunami of a credit event that is taking place, that's why I'm just sitting by and watching and so I expect so I expect the Federal Reserve to change its policy to have a pivot in terms of interest rate policy, but not because inflation comes down to 2% or goes below it. But more because of the fact that there is a credit event which forces them to cut rates.
Speaker 1: Shri I share your concern on the banking system and I think that uh it will be remarkable if we go through the entire cycle without any major events coming out of banks beyond what we have seen in March. But what about the role of the non bank financial sector? I mean, from leveraged loan market where the ps private equity companies are very active, we've seen asset managers get into this private credit market, um much more opaque, very hard to sort of get a sense of whether they are risk lurking there or not. What's your sense
Speaker 2: there is, there is a lot of risk uh lurking there as well and especially as you mentioned with private equity firms. And I think uh listeners and watchers of your show, whether it is for their personal investment or for institutional investment need to be very sensitive to that. And the reason is that you are not going to see the adverse impact of it before it's too late. Um The issue is that if it is a smaller p institution, they will not get bailed out. But if it is thought to have systemic implications because of a failure, they will be bailed out. That is the history of us monetary policy. Take a case of the long term capital management. In 1998 we all thought it was a small firm in Greenwich, Connecticut. We thought it was doing risk free arbitrage, but we didn't realize until it was too late that they were levered 27 to 1. So when the hit came to credit and the credit crunch followed after the Russian debt default of 1998 the Asian debt crisis of 1997 LTCM couldn't take it and they had to be bailed out and the policy changed. So while I agree with you that there is a problem with private equity firms as to whether the firm is systemic or not, will determine whether it will lead to a change in policy or not change or not. Refer to a change in policy.
Speaker 1: You know, uh we look at the US housing market which stands as a sort of residential property market, which is a big contrast to the commercial property market. To your point, huge supply demand, imbalance with lots of supply, not enough demand. On the commercial side, on the housing side, we see the opposite. But the strange thing is sitting here in Singapore, there are a lot of real state investment trusts which are structured around you us properties uh and they've all done very poorly this year. Uh In many meetings that I have with my colleagues, I always say that, you know, we look at the US economy doing so well, inflation is coming down. But our clients who hold us reeds, they've had the really, really, you know, terrible year minus 2030 40%. Uh why don't we see it, you know, transmit to the financial system. And the typical answer is that it's sort of, you know, under wraps uh that, you know, some evergreening here, some restructuring there, but sooner or later, somebody will have to pay the bill right now. A lot of private clients are paying the bill.
Speaker 2: That's correct. I agree with you that it is under the wraps at the moment. And when that happens after a few months, you are not able to hold it under control anymore and it explodes, it's very difficult to time it. That's why I give myself another six months before that happens. Maybe it happens in two months, maybe it happens in a month, but six months is a safe amount of time for you to say something is going to get exposed in the whole process.
Speaker 1: Uh X even from the conversation that we've had so far and from your recent writings that I've read, uh you think that the scenario for 2024 is of a slower economic growth and not so much lower inflation than it is now uh after the sort of reduction in inflation over the last year or so? So do you want to put some numbers around that in terms of growth forecasts and inflation forecast for 2024.
Speaker 2: Good. I would do that, but it is clearly um I would probably be going up a full set in terms of trying to give any precision to the numbers uh K more. But I will say if I were to give you a figure of about 2% for the entire calendar year, 2024 it would be made up of something like minus 2% in the first half of the year and plus 4% in the second half of the year as the monetary and fiscal figures get turned on and the economy starts to recover and crucial to my belief. Here also is November 2024 is the presidential election month and it is, the government is going to try as much as it can to avoid the c A recession as they go into the elections. But as we found out from 2008 that is, they don't always succeed. Uh George W Bush was the president. We were going into the 2008 elections. You had Barack Obama trying to become president for the first time. We had John mccain who was his competitor. And John mccain subsequently said as late as September 1st of 2008, he thought he had a decent chance of winning in November, then came September 15th and the failure of Lehman brothers and the picture changed completely. So what this government is going to do is they are probably going to uh watch, listen, read history and try to stimulate in the second half of the year. So that's one reason why I think there will be faster, faster growth in the second half compared with the first half of 2024. On the inflation side. Again, we are looking at core inflation which came out today, Core inflation is still 4% and the Fed's target is 2%. It is double the target and the headline is under is coming down. But then a huge chunk of the headline inflation rate moderation is because of a 9.5% fall month on month decline in gasoline prices, not annual month on month decline. So that's not going to be continued, it's not going to persist. So I think you're stuck at somewhere between 3.5 and 4% on the core inflation rate, which is, which is not a killer. It is not like what Richard Nixon had or uh the next president J uh J Ford had with the with the um chairmanship of Arthur Burns or G William Miller. But what you do have today is just inflation still above the fed's target and whether it will tolerate that or not. So if that is they can, they don't have the option. I think of declaring victory and walking away because they made one mistake about inflation being transitory and that was wrong this time, they have to get it right. Which is also another reason why I think a credit even becomes more likely
Speaker 1: correct. Three, let's unpack that inflation story a little bit. Uh So we think about goods inflation, we think about services inflation and then there's the whole rental owners equivalent rent and so on. Uh the three major sources of heading if you will over the last couple of years, I think on goods inflation, you and I can agree that not a lot of upside oil seems to be well supplied. Food related fears existed for a little while last year. It's not a very big part of the US. CP I anyway, uh and manufactured goods by and large, you know, are, are not a big source of inflation as they were during the bad years of the pandemic. But then when we come down to rental accommodation as well as services, I'm not quite as Sanguine. Uh I just came back from the US, from your home state of California. Uh I, I don't see uh you know, major easing of pressure on those two fronts. Uh What's, what's your view?
Speaker 2: I don't see a easing either. I completely agree with the view that you expressed, Timor. I think what you have with inflation and the Fed's fight for it. I would call it as a whack a mole strategy you hit at one side and it goes down and it comes up again somewhere else in the horizon. And the reason is again, we talked about it, the extent of stimulus that you have overall and you can cause you can cause some of them to remain under control. You can get the benefit of natural gas prices coming down, gasoline prices coming down. But it doesn't mean all of the other products are going to stay down. Second one as the Biden administration likes to point out that the wage increase is now staying ahead of inflation, real wages are increasing for workers. But when you look at the workers and how they have experience going back to 20 in 2019, that you have essentially a situation when the real wages over the last 3 to 4 years has actually fallen. And that is again, something that they will have to correct going forward. And that is, I think another risk as far as the US economy is concerned.
Speaker 1: Right. Let's get to the juicy part. Now fed in 2024. Now you've already told us that you expect growth to shrink in the first half of the year and then around that, uh, the fed will react and then we will see growth pick up in the second half of the year. Uh, but can they calibrate it so perfectly? Uh, when do you think they'll start talking about rate cuts in a serious manner? The market think that they'll blink by the middle of next year, if not earlier. And then you do your view, I think I heard you earlier talk a little bit about QT. So you elaborate on that as well, both the rates and the QT pipeline for 2024.
Speaker 2: Um Let's go step by step. What happens to happen first, you cannot have QT continuing when they are cutting rates. It's almost like one of them is easing and the other is tightening and it creates an inconsistent statement, which is what the European Central Bank is also going through right now. They have a quantitative easing program known as the PE PP program. And at the same time, they're considering cutting rates. But let's set that aside, let's stay with the United States, with the United States. And you're right, they cannot finally calibrate when they are going to cut rates. That's why I say you, one of two things has to happen. Either the inflation rate goes down to 2%. The target is reached, Fred declares victory and then they can cut rates massively from where they are today. Second, you have a credit, even in which case, you do not have to worry about inflation, you have to save the system and they, they do it. Uh look at the Ben Bernanke approach in 2008. He thought the subprime crisis was a 50 to $100 billion problem. That's what he said to us. Congress in July of 2007, it turned out to be a massive crisis the following year. So then he said, ok, he was going to start quantitative easing, which he described as being a temporary process, which is still in existence all these years later. Uh But again, he was called the Savior of the system, not the person who did not anticipate the crisis. He even has a Nobel Prize to show for it after all of these years. So the question is the risk and reward that you have on the central backing side are not consistent with what is required for good economic policy, good monetary policy. So what is the fed going to do? They are going to wait to see if the inflation comes down and it doesn't come down to 2% stays at 3.5. They will continue to pass. They'll pass tomorrow for the third time in a row. They can pause for six or seven months and at the same time, say that we are not going to increase interest rates. We are not going to decrease interest rates. So, but actual cut would be such a big move that I think they have to be careful when they do that. And I think that will happen only with the credit event. What about the quantitative tightening? They have a problem because they have increased it so much from pre pandemic days. They essentially doubled it from the beginning of 2020 to March of 2022. When the quantitative tightening began, the balance sheet increased from about $4 trillion to almost $9 trillion before it's come down now to 7.7. So they have to cut a bit more. And I think at that stage, they say we are not going to do QT anymore, but we'll be closely watching it and whenever that is possible, we are going to reduce the fed's balance sheet. In other words, we don't have a timetable because between really because they are concerned about having a timetable and how it would strangle the economy, but we are ready to tighten again if necessary. So that's I think what's going to happen that may happen by March or April and you go on further uh with the, with the interest rate remaining where they are and the cut takes place when the credit even takes place.
Speaker 1: I can imagine the skating observations you will have that capitulates on the QT side. Um But uh re I think I picked up from you earlier when we were talking about your 2024 envelope, that second half of 2024 would be characterized both by monetary and fiscal easing. So let's talk about the fiscal part for a second. Uh We have a rather dysfunctional congress, we have these, you know, uh rather potentially severe events like a debt ceiling issue and then some last moment engineering pushes the can down the road by a few months. And then again, there is another crisis but surely in a situation like that, the Democrats really are not in a position to add more fiscal stimulus.
Speaker 2: Uh They may not be able to do it through the uh through the Congress. But the Biden administration time and time again has found ways to provide stimulus. For example, the student debt cancellation policy was again voided by the Supreme Court. But the Biden administration found loopholes so that they can provide somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 billion of relief and the 100 billion spending for that purpose. Right now, it's a huge sum of money to be spending when you're trying to improve your fiscal situation that it happened in the last couple of months. Yes and so I wouldn't put it beyond them to find other ways to provide stimulus. If not, then monetary policy will have to step in. And if you remember once again, going back to history because I study history to learn what we what may happen again. Ben Bernanke made the statement that he was easing on policy after 2008 because the Congress did not allow for increased spending in the Obama administration. And so as a result of that, they had to use monetary policy as a substitute for fiscal policy. And my response and I wrote it once saying it is like saying I have tried different medications for my headache. My headache will not go away. So I've decided to take a gun and shoot myself in the head. But guaranteed 100% there will not be any headache after that. But is that the kind of cure you want to have? But that, that is, again, it is clearly something that will be open. I don't believe that the fed is an independent institution and if necessary, the fed will step in to substitute for fiscal policy if, as you say, they are not able to increase spending in the new setup.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you say that the Fed is not an independent institution, but at the same time, you could argue that Jerome Powell is a appointee from the previous administration and is a Republican. So why would he want to do the Democrats any favor if we're going with that line of not being independent,
Speaker 2: he has to be reappointed. And as you know, the fed chairman's term ends is not coterminous with the president of the United States. So for instance, uh uh Powell began on February 1st of 2018 and it was again two years after the 2016 elections or 15 months after the elections. The idea is that your renomination as fed chairman should not coincide with the presidential election. It should be, you should have independence but you have independence for only a year and four months after that, your own nomination is in trouble and then you have to figure out whether you're going to be nominated or not. And think about it when the Powell renomination came up, I said publicly he should not be renominated and, but he was renominated. If I remember my number is correctly, the Senate approved him 80 to 19 with one abstention. So when the senators complain about its policy, my response often is you guys confirmed him as chairman. Who are you, who do you have to blame yourself? And so I think what will happen is that there is no independence in that sense because the fed chairman doesn't have to be renominated by the new president and he or she has still to be confirmed by the Senate which may or may not happen. And that those are the two holds that politics has on the fed chairman. What I have suggested in my weekly writings that you receive. Kor is to say that the fed chairman should have a single six year term and he or she will not be eligible for renomination that will give it some independence, not the present way where we say he is independent. Oh, no, no, no, he really is independent. I compared it to Jerome with Janet Yellen saying the banking system is very sound and she repeats it very often hoping that that means everybody will believe it. So you need to have a structure and if you have a six year term for a chairman. That's a long enough term. It's six years are a long term. It's, it's two years longer than the president and you can have it ending like today, but then it will go on for six years so that you, you do not have to act in a way that you're looking, um, of studying favor for a re-election.
Speaker 1: Right. Do you see any room for tension between the fed and the treasury in 24? Or is the relationship between Powell and Yellen is so good that it will not be a big issue because you know, we've had ratings agencies put us debt under scrutiny. Uh We do have an unfavorable supply demand situation surely that makes the Fed's life difficult. But is the Fed going to be courageous enough to make a big deal out of that?
Speaker 2: Uh Can the relationship be good? There are two things. One is, as you said, um, the he that Powell was nominated by a Republican president. Now he's serving with a Democratic president and you have also one other factor to keep in mind, Lyle Brainard who is a vice chairman, she is now the Director of National Economic Council, but again, she's part of the administration. I think you behave differently when you're part of the executive branch than when you're part of the central bank. So can conflicts de develop between the Fed and the Treasury? Absolutely, they can, uh for example, uh Yellen has said in her speech today, I think she was speaking to the Wall Street Journal at the conference and she mentioned that she thinks a soft landing is possible in contrast to Powell who has looked for pain as the as the inflation rate is being brought down. So she is giving a very Biden, please reelect a Biden kind of a speech compared with Powell who is at least staying objective even though I disagree with his policies. So yes, there can be more conflicts developing as the election date comes closer,
Speaker 1: right? So when I was lining up the questions for this podcast, I had in mind that we'll talk a little more about fiscal consolidation and us dollar and credit spreads. I think we've covered those things. So actually, I want to talk a little bit about politics beyond central bank politics. I want to talk about presidential election politics. Um markets uh were very nervous around the Trump election initially and then they stopped worrying about it. And despite Trump's various uh mercurial action had a pretty decent time during his tenure. Uh and then uh under Biden, I remember you actually pointing it out in the last podcast that we had that the moment the Georgia election happened, the market roared because the expectation was there will be huge fiscal support for the economy going forward. So walk us through the two scenarios. None of them seem extremely appealing. But the two scenarios that we have one is a Trump victory. The other is a Biden re-election and how the markets will behave around that in 2024.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have the most likely candidates today, Trump on the Republican side and Biden on the Democratic side or both candidates who large group of voters do not want either of them. But it is an interesting twist of political fate that we have two candidates, neither of whom is overwhelmingly very powerful or popular who is dominating it? Let's assume the question is, does Biden continue to decide to run? And Nikki Haley is considered the most likely competitor who can, who's closest to Trump in terms of winning over, but she's still very far behind, that doesn't seem to be in prospect today. So I'm going to assume to answer your question, Timor that it is going to be Biden versus Trump. And if that happens also saying that the whatever you may think in a, in a foreign country and think about the United States, the people who vote are those of us who are us citizens and who are voting for the candidate? We care more about our wallet and what is there in it than the prestige of the United States on the world scene? What does that mean to us? Biden's economic rating in polls is low and going headed lower no matter how much the administration tries to point out the pace of economic growth. Consumers are spending well, unemployment is remaining low. The population is focusing on inflation and how much they have lost. Also, they go back and say during the Trump years, we did fine whether he was responsible or not. Uh Clearly, the market is saying they were better off in the Trump years than they are in the Biden years. So what does that mean? It means to me that if it came to a head on clash between the two and if the elections were held today, it is likely to be a Trump, a Trump victory over Biden. Something needs to change dramatically between now and next November for that to be changed. And as to, well, there are all kinds of other political issues. Trump has said that he will be a dictator for one day if elected. And what does that mean? How do you become a dictator and then you're no longer a dictator. Nobody is given a power in that manner. So there are other issues which I think the electorate is not focusing on yet,
Speaker 1: right? And of course, let's not forget the various legal troubles that Trump has and of course, that doesn't affect his electability. You can apparently be even in jail and still with the president of the United States. Um So we will have no shortage of drama around that. But between the other thing is that, I mean, these are, you know, since we are talking about prognostication after all, neither of them are exactly, you know, very fit candidates going into, you know, 2024 you know, closing in on, in their eighties, the uh health issue, uh if it were to surface. So you think that, you know, Nikki Haley would be one plausible candidate on the Republican side. Do you see anybody on the Democratic side other than Kamala Harris?
Speaker 2: Uh Well, Kamala Harris benefits if Biden is disabled or some other reason has to exit the presidency, then if that happens between now and next November, she becomes president, that's a, that's a succession that follows. Or if Biden wins in November, he has said that he's going to run with her and if he does not finish his second term, she becomes president sometime during that term, if he does not finish his term. So those are the two ways in which she can become the president. Her popularity continues to remain low rightly or wrongly. She's not given a lot of credit for what has happened in the, in the administration. And if so if uh so you are talking about essentially the Republicans arguing that a vote for Biden is actually a vote for Kamala Harris. So you are actually trying to get her elected and she will be there before the end of the next four years. That's, that's the pitch in terms of saying that you should give the vote for the Republicans, but it's, as you said, it is so convoluted with so many indictments and whether they go to the court for a decision before next November or not, or if they are, if he's convicted and elected as president, what do you do after that? These are constitutional questions which even lawyers are probably unable to answer at this stage.
Speaker 1: Right. So coming back to the issue of markets, so whether it's the US dollar or the US treasury demand, do these things get affected by all these domestic uh developments? Or you think that the for the rest of the world or even for us, institutional investors, the faith in the power of the Fed and the Treasury to keep things at least under wraps is substantial. And therefore, we don't have to worry about too much risk premium, having to be priced into the dollar or the treasuries around these uncertainties.
Speaker 2: Um look around the world and look at the history and you say, let me look at an autocrat or a dictatorial regime and whether the currencies thrive or not, whether the economy thrives or not, you find time and time again. I've, I've looked at it and I'm surprised by the fact that now you have Xi Jinping who is President for life. You have Vladimir Putin in Russia who says he's going to run in early 2024. He is President for Life Viktor Orban in Hungary is again there and he's going to continue there. Do any of the people in these countries say we don't like the person because we don't have free democratic elections. No, the thought is whether you're doing well in terms of your income, your living standards and that also is going to affect how the dollar trades with respect to the other currencies and how the foreign countries deal with the United States in terms of trade. Yes, you can have side effects. You can have Trump imposing tariffs more so than Biden would have done. But look at what Biden has been able to do. He has not been able to remove the tariffs on China that were, that were imposed by Trump, he had to continue with it. So the short answer for you, I gave you a good long winded explanation. The short answer is politics probably don't matter for the economy, markets or the dollar.
Speaker 1: Hm. That's uh I'm going to use that as the summary of our podcast at some point. Uh free uh you know, very, very, uh you know, informative and insightful as always. And I think right around the election time, we need to get together again and have another chat and see what 2025 holds for us. Uh Thank you so much for your time and insights.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. It's always a pleasure to talk with you, Timor and I would be delighted to chat with you again around the election time.
Speaker 1: I wish you and your family all the very best in the holidays and a Happy New Year.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Happy holidays and Happy New Year to you as well and your family.
Speaker 1: Thank you and thanks to our listeners as well. Uh Copy Time was produced by Ken Delbridge at Spy studios. Valet Lee and Daisy Sherma provided additional assistance. It is for information only and does not represent any trade recommendations. All 114 episodes of copy time are available on youtube and on all major podcast platforms including Apple, Google and Spotify. As for our research publications, webinars and live streams, you can find them all by Google and D BS research library. Have a great day.