Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Coast to Coast AM is what you are listening to Connie Willis here. Hey, I hope you're enjoying the show and the music having a good time. I know that I am, so I hope that you are too, and I hope that you will join my newsletter, my newsletter Where's Willis?
Speaker 1: Again?
Speaker 2: I wish I could imitate George Norri's voice, but I can't. I got to get that. It just says a little, a little drop, you know, So I can just play that once in a while because nobody says it better than him. But that's my newsletter, and you can go to Connie Willis dot com and sign up for it. Go ahead and sign up for it. Then you'll get all the other information and I'll let you know what I'm up to and what's going on. I mean, it's so cool that today was the World Chimpanzee Day, you know, with chain goodall, because if you look at the work that I do with Blue Rock Talk and Project Creepy Hotspots, which is live investigations of Bigfoot, Strange Lights, haunting, is the big Foot in the strange lights, and I mean that's my absolute favorite. I had hauntings as a kid, you know, to scare me into to the next world. But and pretty much have. But uh, it's just lost my train of thought on all that thinking about all those things. But uh, anyway, that's what you'll learn about me, is is that kind of thing. That's what I like to do. And uh uh with a newsletter, that's what you'll find out. What's up and what's next, and where we're gonna be and what's happening and I where's Willis Connie Willis dot com? All right, let's get to the Pacific north weird. Now our guest is Vince and Zunza. Was that good? I'm gonna try it all that? All right? Thank you? Thank you? Okay, So, Vince, let me tell you what I know about the Pacific Northwest, and then you you give me what you know. So I grew up in Kentucky and lived in Florida and in Pennsylvania and a little North California, but in little Texas at one point. And I think I've named everything I think and now Colorado. And the interesting thing is that when you're on that side of the world, and now it's different because we have the Internet and everybody talks to everybody and everybody can talk to anybody wherever they are in the world. But before you couldn't. Right, you knew your you knew your hood, you knew your crowd, right, you knew who was around you, right. And so if you're in Kentucky, you talk to the people you know. If you're big footing or ghost honey or whatever it is, you know the people in that genre where you are, and you might hear from if you're in Kentucky, you might hear about some people in Tennessee and maybe you'll go visit them, And maybe you know some people in Florida and you'll go visit them. And everybody visits each other's spots and that kind of thing. But when you're over there, you don't know anybody. In the Pacific Northwest, we don't know anybody. And then you start watching shows like Monster Quest or whatever at one point, right, and then you start picking up names from these other areas of the country or world. And that's how you might pick up somebody's name, or you might just listen to the story in the encounter. But maybe you don't get their name either way, we didn't get a lot of the Pacific north West names. And it's interesting. This is what I find anybody wants to back me up, polace to do. But when you meet the people in the Pacific Northwest, like we I think on the other coast have been open to the fact, maybe because we've swarmed around a lot, that we know that these things that we've seen research, look for whatever, are everywhere. Pacific northwesterners, I'm just saying, it's just like, this is where it is, and it's nowhere else. And I don't think you'll ever leave your area to look anywhere else because you're you know, first of all, there's a ton there and it's really cool, there's no question about it, okay, And the terrain is unreal. It is like a story book. And then you walk into those forests that look like a story book and then there's creatures everywhere, and it's true. But is it do you find that as well, that you guys are kind of like, hey, we're in the Pacific Northwest or Pacific north weird. We don't need to go anywhere else. We got enough here.
Speaker 3: I think that's true. Uh, in a lot of ways, because because.
Speaker 2: When you're somewhere else, you're like, who are these people? Who are they? What? Should we know who they are? Or at least me, I'm like, should I know who these people are? Because they say it like you know, they're big time people. But really all it is is, hey, this you all all know each other. You all have had these names, uh, and people that have just grown own together with all of the stories and things, and we're just on the other coast and I've known who any of you all are and vice versa, but now it's all pulling together.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I just that's true that you know a lot of the personality the individual the storytellers may not be too well known outside of their community, but the things that happened here in the Pacific Northwest have spanned all across the nation and into the world. Like the term flying saucer came from here. The first recorded interaction with a man in black happened in the Northwest. The work Bigfoot comes from northern California about south of the Pacific Northwest is you can get but it's in this region, you know. And the things that make the place really special, I think are pretty universal. Like they've almost become archetypes in themselves. And no matter where you are, you know Bigfoot, you know what a flying sauce is. Those things are as I mean, as universal and recognizable as Mickey the House or the Golden Arches.
Speaker 2: Is everybody up there pretty open to listening to it from somebody.
Speaker 3: I find that most people are, you know, I mean, even if they're not true believers, they appreciate the fact that we kind of have these regional mascots. Like over here, Bigfoot is kind of big business in a lot of ways. Like pretty much any gift shop you go into, there's going to be just countless pieces of Bigfoot merchandise that there are. There are murals, statues, carvings to pick foot in almost like every single city and small town you could h that you drive through going through the Northwest. So there's a I feel like a universal appreciation for for these these strange entities that everyone, even if they don't necessarily believe in them, they they're proud of them.
Speaker 2: I found it interesting at one point with let's go to the Sasquatch to to the Bigfoot, I remember talking to somebody from the Pacific Northwest and I had said, uh, we were talking about the differences across the country, and I had thought that they seemed to be my impression. I didn't know at the time. I hadn't been out there yet, but my impression was the Bigfoot were bigger where you guys were, and that particular person said that they thought they would be bigger where I was. I found that interesting. But your all's terrain is like a story book. It's absolutely amazing where you could walk into forested area in your part of the country and not come across some of the things, like if you were in Kentucky or in Florida, where you're going to run across some huge snakes and crazy bugs and all sorts of just horrific things. Everywhere. It's really not that way up there just seems cleaner. You don't have all these tangled up messes when you walk through the woods. It's just amazing to me. I couldn't believe it. I didn't think it was real. And I grew up going to King's Island and Disney World living in Florida, and they really did create the Pacific Northwest on those log rides or some of the other rides. And when I went to your part of the country for the first time. I couldn't believe it. I thought it was at a theme park. They nailed it so well, it's just beautiful where you guys are.
Speaker 3: I agree. I've been here my whole life and I'm never not in awe of all the different types of terrain and natural bet that is just a car trip away from wherever you are. You can visit the desert, you can visit the ocean, visit that these grand mountains, you can visit forests that you can just get lost in forever. And yeah, I think we're kind of almost like a Goldilocks zone.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I would say, Yes, yeah, yeah, Well give us some of the great stories from the Pacific North weird Okay.
Speaker 3: Well, one passion of mine has always been lighthouses. There's something about them that really it transfiss me. I feel like I'm stepping back in time whenever I'm around them. And there's some beautiful ones all along the Pacific Court coast of Washington, Oregon, York, and California. And any good lighthouse has to have a good ghost story. Oh yes, yeah, And there's a couple of ones that really stand out to me. One in particular as the Hasida Head Lighthouse that's a near Florence, Oregon, right off of the Highway one on one, beautiful scenic highway one on one that just pretty much just goes right down by the ocean for almost the entirety of the Organ Coast. And this lighthouse, it was built in eighteen ninety two. And it's actually not the lighthouse itself that haunted, but the caretaker's house right next to it that has all the hauntings. And for many, many years people have claimed to encounter this entity called the Gray League, also known as Rue are Uv like like Rue McClanahan. And in the seventies, this hast ahead white house and the property was leased to the Wayne Community College and they used as a coastal classroom and retreat and a group of students were playing with Aligi board and that spelled out the name Rue. But since then, yeah, caretakers have reported all kinds of encounters with what they call it a withered old lady that floats across rooms. Sometimes she'll scream in the middle of the night, She'll rattle dishes in the cupboard, pass through walls and closed doors. One really see a story involved a handyman that was doing some repairs on the outside of the house and he had accidentally broken the attic one of the attic windows with his ladder, so he climbs up the ladder to fix it, and he sees in the attic the gray Lady, and it just scares the heck out of him, and he's so frightened that he leaves the job, refuses to repair the window, and there's always broken glass in the attic. But later that night the caretakers say that they hear the sound of sweeping going on in the attic above them. The next day they go up there and find that all of the glass had been swept into a perfectly neat little pile. Oooh like. Yeah, but the gray Lady, it seems like she cares about the house, like she wants it kept well right, And apparently there's an old photograph that shows the house along with a tombstone in the front lawn. And the theory is that Rue was the wife of an old caretaker and her her child had died really young and had been buried on the property, so she's just there to take care of the property and try to find her her lost child, and she is very sad.
Speaker 2: When people tell you these stories, do you do? You go to the locations and then shoot stuff, and then you've included that into your YouTube.
Speaker 3: Sometimes there's there's a lot more stories than I've ever had time to actually put the film right. So in a certain way, you know, Pacific North weirds a YouTube channel, but it's also like a state of mind for me. So I'm just constantly, even if I'm not making a video. I love visiting these places. I love collecting the stories. I love collecting ephemera related to these weird places and these great tales. I haven't done any videos in particular about Hasid Ahead, but it's a story I just love telling. And who knows what the future will bring.
Speaker 2: Well, we've just got a couple minutes before the break, but I wonder if you can tell me about the blobs.
Speaker 3: I only have the Oakville Blobs, so that actually happened right near where I grew up. I grew up in a town called Rochester, Washington. Next town over is Oakville. It's this small logging town in Grace Harbor County. And on August seventh, nineteen ninety four, this weird blob rained down over the a small town, a police officer was patrolling at the middle of the night and it began to rain on his car, so he turns on his windshield wipers and noticed that it's not only rain, but the windshield wipers were smearing this gooe like substance over his windshield. So he gets that to examine it, and wearing gloves, examines the the go and he says it's kind of jello like, But soon, like within hours after the end of the substance, he gets very very ill. Other town residents, one in particular, Sunny Bark Clifts. She worked on a farmhouse in Ulkville and that morning found just tiny globules the size of the grains of rice that were like jellyfish like in nature in texture, and her mother got really set started experiencing extreme Vertico disneyness. Another resident named Beverly Roberts found a dead raven and a dead frog on the side of the road and they were surrounded by this blobi like substance. So something really weird was happening, and Sonny Barclett, she takes her mom to the doctor and the doctor diagnoses her with something called Menneer's disease, which is a disorder of the inner ear. But soon after the entire wating room is full of other Oakville residents, all with the same symptoms, and he diagnoses them all the same.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more