Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: YEW the midterm elections then now just a few weeks away, and because of that, we're starting to see more and more news stories about who's gonna vote, who's not gonna vote, and why we.
Speaker 3: Headed to the local University of California campus Democrats hopes of winning here hinges at least in part on turning out people of color and young voters. Sorry not to be annoying, but we're with NBC News and I'm just trying to figure out anybody you're gonna vote an election on November sixth, anybody, anybody, Nobody's gonna vote.
Speaker 2: Okay. I don't know if that proves nobody's gonna vote so much as it proves people don't want to talk to some random creepo at the bus stop. Like if anything, all we've learned is that twenty years of teaching kids about strange and danger has paid off.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: But but I will say this, this Democracy pickup ardicies he's actually getting at something important, right, This guy's he's onto something. When it comes to voting, one crucial demographic is unenthusiastic af.
Speaker 4: We always talk about who's going to come out and vote.
Speaker 5: You know what, demographic what group? Young people? Usually, Historically they don't show up.
Speaker 1: Young people are the least likely to vote.
Speaker 3: Young people as a group don't vote in the numbers that older folks do.
Speaker 6: Turnout among younger voters is often below thirty percent in an election where people in their fifties and sixties turn out at fifty to sixty percent turnout.
Speaker 2: Right, old people vote twice as much as young people. To me, that makes no sense because young people have to live with the effects way longer. Like if I was old, I wouldn't care. I'd be gangster about my votes. Yeah, I'll just be like, well, let's see what this Jill Stein is about. Who gives it down? I've got five years at best? Yeah, three years if I drink lacroix.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: So the question is why don't young people want to go to the polls? Well, to help us get our heads around this, we're proud to announce our newest show addition, senior youth corresponding Chibuoki Young whites. Everybody welcome, so great to how.
Speaker 7: Do you get CHIBOOKI? Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into it.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 2: As young people, we know that we should be voting, but we don't seem to be enthusiastic enough. So what can we do to increase the turnouts?
Speaker 1: Okay, well, first of all, Trevor, we're gonna need to stop saying we because you're old.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, no, hold up, no no, no, no, don't kind to tie fool you. I'm absolely the youth.
Speaker 1: I was born in nineteen eighty four. Oh, nineteen eighty four, Okay, vintage millennial?
Speaker 7: Nice?
Speaker 1: Nice, see, Trevor, I'm a young young you know, you're old young kind of like Nick Cannon, you know, like how old is he? Thirty fifty? Like I can't really like I have young in my name literally right there, and your name is Noah, like that creepy old guy who made those animals gonna boat, you know, but it wasn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a boat. It was an awc But whatever, let's let's move on. Like I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. Why aren't more young people excited about voting?
Speaker 1: Why aren't more young people excited about voting? What you should be asking is why the youth vote is being suppressed?
Speaker 2: Oh of course, voter is suppression is a big issue in America. I mean we show the Supreme Court routing about North Dakota di France.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you're talking about old people. Shit again, driver, No, I'm talking about how voting is designed for old people. Like why do we still use paper to vote? Paper is over? I don't even wipe my ass with paper, you know, I use a bideta, And like why do I have to go out to vote? Can't you just postmates the election to me? You know, like, oh, Tony will be here in twenty minutes with my ballot and my seaweed sell it dope? Okay. Plus, now they want to require an ID. Where am I about to get an ID?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, you don't have a driver's license.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Trevor, you are as funny as my mom said, Like, look, I don't need a driver's license. My Uber driver needs a driver's line. In fact, if you want my ID, my Uber is the best ID there is. It's got my face, it's got my rating four point a, and all my drives. All my driver's license will tell you is where I once live. My Uber tells you where I'm trying to be. You know, like, right now, I can take any of your phones and be like, oh, they went there, there, and there, and they took a pool. They're going to vote for Bernie, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, But but that doesn't explain the lack of enthusiasm, right, fifty seven percent of older people are very excited to go vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course they are, because fifty seven percent of their life is just time off. When you're old, you have the luxury of free time. You know, who else can play chess in a park at four pm? And why is voting on a Tuesday? That's the hardest day to take off, which reminds me, can I take off next Tuesday?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: Dude, No, you just started.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm talking about. That's that shit, Trevor.
Speaker 2: There's no les next Tuesday.
Speaker 7: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Look, that's not the point. That's not the point. You want young people to vote. Make election Day a national holiday? You know?
Speaker 5: Yes? Why?
Speaker 1: Yes, like President's Day or Toyota Thimes.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me get this right. If America adopts digital voting, yes, and if they allow people to do it from home, and they make election Day national holidays, then young people will definitely vote.
Speaker 1: No, why would I spend my day off voting. I'm trying to see what this park test is all about, Jabooki Young White. Everybody will be right back.
Speaker 2: American school children today will have to fix many of society's problems tomorrow. But is the education giving them the tools they'll need to fight for change? Well, Jabuki Young Whites went to find out.
Speaker 1: As the Daily Show's youngest course respondent, I'm most qualified to report on the fact that Civics education in America sucks. It's so bad only one in nine schools require a year of Civics classes. But young activists like members of the Providence Student Union are demanding higher standards, which is why I'm here in a small Rhode Island school to interview students who are fighting to fix their education and their futures. After school spech, what's lip bam?
Speaker 6: Who are you?
Speaker 1: I'm the new transfer student. My name is Chad. I am seventeen. Yeah, no, I'm not, you smell. After some convincing, I gained the trust of Ahmed and Alita, the student organizers asking for better Civics education in Rhode Island.
Speaker 4: So this is important to me because I still see that there are people that are like, voting isn't important, And I think that young people especially should also understand and like the way how systems were built and how the world works.
Speaker 8: Like how can you go about life not knowing your rights or how to pay taxes or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you don't actually have to pay taxes. That's a myth.
Speaker 8: No, you you you have to pay taxes, like you have.
Speaker 1: To pay taxes? Is this real?
Speaker 8: That's why we need civics class in high school.
Speaker 1: But I mean I do. I do civics all the time. I'm like constantly sending out civic tweets. I'm like hashtag green new deal, hashtag twenty twenty twenty. Sometimes if I just need to get all my civics in one tweet, I'll just say like hashtag woke and then boom, civics.
Speaker 8: That's not even close. Why you basically just talk about social media.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's face it, we're teens. There's nothing that we can do to make our school teach a civics.
Speaker 8: I go out to disagree with you on that one meano, I'm in our teens.
Speaker 4: The street's not full of anyone.
Speaker 8: Two mean hominissuing the Unitas State's government for civil in all schools.
Speaker 1: Wow, you heard that right, My same aged friends, we're suing the government for civics education in schools. Alita and Akmed are making their case with the help of Columbia professor and oldest person I know, Michael Rebell, who's been fighting for education equity most of his career.
Speaker 7: The US Supreme Court said, every child in this country has a right to an equal educational opportunity, but kids who come from low income backgrounds, many kids of color, don't have meaningful opportunities.
Speaker 1: So why did you decide to sue Rhode Island and not a state that everyone hates like New Jersey.
Speaker 7: We looked at what states have the worst education system when it comes to civics and also where would the community be supportive. If we get the Supreme Court to declare that there's a national rights education, state legislatures and school systems will act on it. It'll make a huge difference. You know, fifty percent of the American public cannot name the three branches government? Can you do it?
Speaker 1: Federal executive and the Supreme Court notorious RGB.
Speaker 7: She's one of nine justices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nine. Yeah, there's RGB, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, scarlettle Hanson.
Speaker 7: Wait a minute, you're mentioning all the actors and the Avengers. They are not Supreme Court justices.
Speaker 1: I left one off the Hulk.
Speaker 7: Do you even know who you're representative in Congress?
Speaker 4: Is?
Speaker 1: It doesn't really matter about my representative because I know who my senator is. It's Bernie.
Speaker 7: Senators, I don't think Chuck Schumer is gonna like that answer.
Speaker 1: Who the fuck is Chuck Schumer?
Speaker 7: He's your singing from New York. I think you've got a long ways to go on civic knowledge. I'm sorry to say.
Speaker 1: Did I not get an education?
Speaker 7: That's the kind of unfortunate reality that we're trying to grapple with.
Speaker 1: Thank you for teaching me that I'm dumb.
Speaker 7: Wait a minute, that is not the message I'm trying to get across.
Speaker 1: Are you loud and clear? I'm a dumbo. I'm dumb. I'm dumb. I'm a dumb head.
Speaker 7: You're obviously very smart from our conversation.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, they're right, boys, do go to Jupiter and get more stupider. I'm gonna be right now. Okay, this wise old man made me realize, how do you have a hall pass?
Speaker 7: We're not in the school building? Right?
Speaker 1: Okay, well then can I go to the bedroom?
Speaker 7: You can go to the bedroom?
Speaker 1: Sorry, may I go to the bedroom? Worse? So, maybe us teens do need better civics education, and though this case still has a long way to go, it success will ensure future generations the education Alita and Ahmed missed out.
Speaker 9: On the ultimate goal for me is that people are more civically engaged. And you know, we have government representation that reflects the population.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 1: I learned so much today, and I hope you did too, teach out.
Speaker 7: I thought you were a team class dismissed.
Speaker 9: Shit.
Speaker 1: It's safe to say.
Speaker 2: That socialism is having a moment in American politics right now, and.
Speaker 7: That's freaking a lot of people out.
Speaker 2: So we sent out a news correspondent, Jabuki Young White to find out why.
Speaker 1: For years, grumpy old white dudes have been telling us that socialism is total bullshit. Socialism leads to decline and ruin.
Speaker 5: This system crushes human souls.
Speaker 1: But as The Daily Show's new senior youth corresponding, I know that millennials right now think socialism is totally on trend. I popped Somali and hit the street to find out why even though the olds hated, the kids love socialism. I think socialism is great.
Speaker 4: I think you should and may help whoever you could at any situation.
Speaker 8: With socialism, just because I hear anything that's helping black people out.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're socialism curious. Yeah, well I'm in college, right. Do you hate billionaires? Low key?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You look at Jeff Bezos.
Speaker 10: He doesn't look human.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think the idea of socialism is.
Speaker 1: On point.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't really know what socialism is.
Speaker 2: He's a pro.
Speaker 1: It's okay, we're all confused. If there are only someone we could talk to, someone with some deep experience on the subject. But when I started doing this sort of piece on socialism, I knew that there was really only one politician who I can talk to about it. So I guess my question is do you know aocure and what's her there? They like, if you could put us anytime.
Speaker 10: Maybe, but you want to speak to her?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Maybe?
Speaker 1: I just figured, you know, seriously, you can't talk socialism in America without going to the OG. Senator Bernie Sanders.
Speaker 10: I believe in a society where all peoples go. Well, Doc Jucks, I have folks a brilliant as.
Speaker 1: Did he be the oldest millennial in America. I know that capitalism has given us a bunch of really dope things, right, iPhones, cars, Hamburgers, the Avengers, movies, the opioid crisis. So why are young people like myself very open and socialism.
Speaker 10: Your generation, the younger generation, will in all likelihood have a lower standard of living than your parents. Your generation is leaving school, more deeply in debt, having a much harder time finding affordable housing. The jobs that you get will pay less. So the idea of creating a society with more egalitarianism. So I think it's very appealing to younger people.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, I feel the burn. I see what you're talking about. Now, I admit it. Democratic socialism looks pretty fine on his Tinder profile. But are we gonna vibe when we meet? Irl?
Speaker 10: If you go to countries like Denmark or Swede, you're gonna see very little poverty. You could leave your job, you could start a new business. You and your family still have healthcare as a right.
Speaker 1: So I could quit the Daily Show and be fine, absolutely, well, it was great meeting with you. So under President Bernie, we'd be more European, like or Narnia. But try telling that to the haters.
Speaker 6: It's a terrible system. It's never worked, and in order for it to work at all, you got to kill several million people to make it work.
Speaker 1: Carol Markwitz has written on why socialism needs to be canceled forever period.
Speaker 5: Millennials have been raised in such prosperous times, they just think that, oh, we can make it even better with this insane plan to share the resources.
Speaker 1: You know, I would love capitalism if it just weren't for all the sick people and all the poor people who can't afford healthcare. Is there a way for me to enjoy capitalism without those things?
Speaker 5: If the solution is socialism, it's going to make us all equal in our poverty.
Speaker 1: But if everyone is poor, isn't that kind of cool because we're all experiencing the same things. It'll be like, hey, like the breadline was extra along today, and I'd be like, oh my god, yeah it was. That guy is super observant and like funny not so much now.
Speaker 5: I was born in the Soviet Union. My great grandfather was killed in a gulag because he owned a business and socialists decided that was no longer legal.
Speaker 1: That's truly horrific. Would Bernie be sending small business owners to forced labor camps?
Speaker 10: Obviously, Soviet Union was an authoritarian society with no democratic rights, and I think if you know history, you'll know that democratic socialists stood up and fought against that. You could look about what existed in the Soviet Union or in Venezuela. That is not what I'm talking about at.
Speaker 1: So no one's going to the gulag, well except okay, fact check. The examples of failed socialism that critics used are not socialist democracies, but authoritarian states led by corrupt, ruthless, and paranoid dictators. That I do have one real problem with socialism. I like money. You know, TV is going kind of good for me right now, and I'm thinking of writing a successful book, and socialism still for me. If I'm a millennial millionaire, maybe.
Speaker 10: It depends on what's your heart. If what you say in your life is all I want to do is make as much money as I possibly can, screw everything else.
Speaker 1: I don't give a damn.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, I don't think democratic socialism is your cup of tea. But if you have a decent heart and you say, look, I'm doing really well. But you know what, I also want to be a contributor to the well being of society, so I'm gonna pay my fair share of tax system.
Speaker 1: Wow, I could have my CBD infused gluten free cake and eat it too. I'm liking a socialism thing more and more, and Bernie made me feel so good. I decided to share something. I brought you a present. That's cool.
Speaker 10: So all right, anticipating, Oh that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you are not in my fat when you're elected president, when do you think you're going to focus in all have? I love some person.
Speaker 10: I don't know the exact room, but it's beautiful and I thank you for it.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, Marty. Enjoy chibookie White.
Speaker 7: Everyone.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show.
Speaker 1: Wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast