Speaker 1: The volume. Let's talk about something really really important. If you're ever injured, check out Morgan and Morgan's America's largest injury law firm, and they're there for you. Over one hundred offices nationwide. Think about that, more than a thousand lawyers with over twenty billion. That's a b twenty billion dollars recovered for over five hundred thousand clients. Things happen in life unexpectedly. Submitting an injury claim with Morgan and Morgan is really really easy. Like winning in the NFL is hard, we know that quarterbacking in the NFL is hard, Submitting a claim is easy. You're ever injured, check out Morgan and Morgan. Their fee is free unless they win. For more information, go to for Thepeople dot com, slash Colin or dial pound law from your cell phone. Pretty easy. That's for the people dot com slash Colin or pound law pound five to nine from your cell Morgan and Morgan has a proven track record of fighting for you to get a full and fair compensation if there's an unexpected accident in your life. This is a paid advertisement. I should get overtime pay for staying up tonight and talking about this awful Seattle six to three went over the Chicago Bears. You know, first of all, just a broad comment. Caleb Williams has thrown for over three hundred yards four times this season. That's more than Patrick Mahomes. That's remarkable. And tonight he had an interception for the first time and forever. Nobody could have succeeded with this team in this season. I mean, they're using a basically their third different person is sort of assembling the game plan this year. It's just a circus. It is an absolute circus. He's still the youngest quarterback in the NFC. He's got boundless talent. He made a couple of really nice throws tonight. I mean Gino smith Is, I mean just a ham and egger. Caleb's got all sorts of talent. But there's just nothing you can do with this franchise. There's nothing I like about it. Like even bad franchises. Let's let's let's take a franchise, you know, like the Jets. They had Robert Sola for years, an excellent defensive coach. Joe Douglas whipped on a quarterback in a COVID year, But that roster is a bunch of Joe Douglas draft picks, it's very good. He also went and got Davonte Adams before he got fired, and Deavante and Aaron are connecting. Take a franchise like the Carolina Panthers. They went out and got an excellent young offensive coach who looks like he has turned Bryce Young from a bust to a decent, mobile, athletic, accurate starter. There's nothing about the Bears outside of Caleb Williams. I mean, it's I don't trust the ownership. You know, Kevin Warren, the president, has a reputation is more Paula Titians and football expert Ryan Poles, you know, I mean, listen, keep him fine, move off him fine. I don't think he's done a terrible job last year. Four picks. He took a punter. That's not what I would have done. They could have, you know, made more moves, eber flues.
Speaker 2: The staff.
Speaker 1: It's a mess. I mean, it's just nothing that's redeemable about the franchise outside of Caleb Williams and a couple of players Montes Sweat, Jalen Johnson, DJ Moore. You know, they've got a couple of players I like, But everybody in the NFL's got a couple of players. It's just nobody could have succeeded here. You know, tonight it was an unwatchable mess. And all the fears that Kayleb Williams had privately going to Chicago. I mean I reported this last year. I got pushedback on it, but people in his camp were worried this franchise. I mean, look at Chicago's ports right now, White Sox, Blackhawks, Bears. I don't have any ability to decipher why not great ownership is a place to start, but I feel I feel sad for the kid because and you can see the talent. I mean you you would have to be trying to make an argument to say you can't see his talent. I mean last night or tonight was the first interception he's had in forever. I think it was like since Halloween. And that's why this idea that you can just go out and get some you know, Ben Johnson and he's going to change the world. You know, that guy's never been a head coach at the high school level. There are so many hurdles to overcome in this organization. I don't think there's a good job right now in the NFL, I really don't. I don't think any of these jobs are good. And if Oz Mike Frable, I'd sit it out for a year because I think next year you could possibly have the Cowboys, Bengals and Joe Burrow would be available. You know, there's a couple of opportunities out there next year. Keep your eye on. If Sean McDermott does not win in Buffalo, I think Sean McDermott, a good coach, could be in trouble. So though, those are really good opportunities, and there's only been three great coaching opportunities in the last eight years, Green Bay Matt Lafleur, I think Mike McCarthy and Dallas and getting Justin Herbert with a Chargers. Those are really high end coaching opportunities. I wouldn't want the Chicago job, despite Caleb's talent. I wouldn't want it. That's how bad it is. My other takeaway in this game, it's funny the number one position in the NFL over the last twenty years that has been the biggest bust rate in the first round is wide receiver, And obviously, you know wide receivers can make dynamic plays. But the Seahawks have Smith and Jigba first rounder, DK Metcalf, second rounder, a good tight end, and Noah Fant excellent running back Charboney who's their second back. But equality Gino Smith can't play. You're eight, nine, nine and eight with Gino Smith. That's just what it is, you know, Roma Dunza, what can you do? They've been better off going out and getting an available offensive tackle. Instead, they went in later rounds and got some prospect I think from Yale, and you know, can he play? We'll see. You know, you look at the Chargers who are going to make the playoffs. They could have had a wide receiver. They looked at Brian Thomas. They went and got Joe Alt from Notre Dame. They're going to make the playoffs. They have two of the best young tackles offensive tackles in the NFL. Yeah. I was just watching it tonight and I'm looking at all these first round wide receiver talents and DJ Moore and Roma Dunzae and DK Metcalf second rounder in Smith and Jigbin. What's it matter if you have a bad organization or like in Seattle, you have a mediocre quarterback and I like John Snyder as general manager for the Seahawks. He's mostly not a good job, but I think he made a major mistake last year in the year before not afting a quarterback. And I said it at the time. I'm not you know, I'm not looking through the rear view mirror here. I said it.
Speaker 3: Last year.
Speaker 1: Seattle's roster is really solid d line, solid skilled positions, good corners, linebackers that are mobile and move. They're just mediocre quarterback. So it was a tough watch tonight. And you know, I just Chicago fans al Michael's touched on this. I mean, they are being handed just tire fires and all their sports and come out tonight and pack that stadium. Is you know, it's a tip of the cap to one of the great American cities and sports cities because fans in that city are getting ripped off. The quality is awful. It's always been a very political city and it feels like the same with the Bears. It just feels like a kind of a political hot mess. So again, I think my first choice would be vable. I don't know if he'd accept it. I have real reservations about all these hot shot offensive coordinators a year ago, Bobby Slowick Houston OC was a genius. Houston can't score this year.
Speaker 2: C J.
Speaker 1: Stroud has regressed badly. Uh you know the Cliff Kingsbury, who I like a lot, but he struggled as a head coach college and pro. You gotta be careful. I mean, there was a time when everybody was bragging about Shane Waldron and rehabbing Geno Smith. Shane Waldron, you know, I don't even know where he's at now. He got booted out of the Bears organization. So I think when when a franchise is broken, you got to you got to get a culture changer. Dan Campbell, Detroit harbab Mike Framele. That's what it feels like to me. It's a mess.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I thought it was interesting this week before we get to Chad Millman with our sharpened Square segment. I think one of the things that is a pretty good sign that you're going to solve a problem is when you admit you have a problem. I think anytime a sport or a business gets defensive about an issue, it just signals you're not going to solve the issue. Kevin Durant, Lebron James Joe Missoula and Adam Silver have all acknowledged in the last ten days that the NBA esthetically has a problem. Now they've got very nice ratings. You know, Lebron and Steph just get ratings period. It doesn't matter if they've play together in the Olympics, the finals are on Christmas. Lebron and stephf get numbers. They still carry the league from a TV rating standpoint. But I think I like the idea that all the top stars, you're Katie Lebron, the Celtics coach, and Adam Silver acknowledge, Yeah, we got ninety three's a game. It's just it's homogeneous, it's monotonous, it's cookie cutter. And you know, a lot of people are trying to take this issue and anybody that's critical of the league, well, you know, you're an old head. You're romanticizing the past. I have said ten times on the air minimum the Pacers Nicks free throw shooting contests, Reggie Miller against Spike Lee is the most overrated finals of my life. It was one of the team they were scoring in the seventies. It was awful. I mean, like seven to eight of the ten starters couldn't shoot. You know, it was all these romanticized tough guys that really couldn't handle the ball or shoot. It's not that I've always been an NBA fan, and playoff basketball is always better because the mid range game comes back. But it's very much I would liken it to baseball, and that Rob Manfred has never has raised the ire of curists. But he listened, and he went to the minor leagues and they tried this pitch clock, and it worked. Did it for a couple of years. They brought it to the bigs. There's no question I watched more baseball, no question I watched more baseball last year. And they got rid of the defensive shift because he wanted more stars on the bases, not in the dugout after lining out to right field where the second basement was standing. So these criticisms, the fact that the biggest stars in the NBA and and the commissioner are acknowledging, yeah, there's just too many guys that shouldn't be shooting threes. Shooting threes. I think that's good for the game. I think these discussions, when you make them actionable, are great for the NBA because listen, it's some of the world's greatest athletes. Playoff basketball can be a lot of fun. The league sometimes has dipped its toe in politics, and that's turned off a lot of people in the country.
Speaker 3: And I get it.
Speaker 1: I'd love to see Jimmy Butler go to a team and add some juice to a team like the Warriors. But I've always loved pro basketball, and I've always loved basketball in general. But I thought this week was a really healthy, not divisive, really healthy discussions about the future of the game. Baseball made changes completely paid off within a year and really paid off within two years. So people can argue on the internet. It's almost like the NIL and transfer portal. I'm for both, but you need guidelines. Miami's basketball coach you know just retired, said, you know, NIL has no guardrails. I'm out, And of course people jump on jim Larnega and say Miami Hurricanes goes, well, well, you moved, you were at George Mason, you moved. Yes, coaches of Boa has moved and they'll continue to move, and players will continue to move. But when like eight guys of your thirteen on scholarship bail and you have a good program, You're spending so much time recruiting your own players forget other high schoolers and AAU stars, that it makes the game daunting. It's just a you need relentless, youthful energy to keep up. I mean, Jay Wright should be coaching now. It just wears you out, and so if you want to retain your best coaches and have more continuity, I don't think the NIL or transfer portal are ruining the sport. I've had more fun watching college football this year than previous years. But it's okay to have these live discussions and don't get defensive about it. You know, transfer portal One thing I like about it. Quarterbacks run the sport, and if you need one, Oregon's just going to go get a new one every year. Keeps Oregon. You don't have these build, big, long rebuilding years for these top programs. So I'm for all this stuff. I just like the NBA discussion, and I liked Baseball's discussions, which they turn actionable right, and I like the NIL discussion. You can take any side you want, but anything in life that improves over discussion, I'm here for. Well, it's the most wonderful time of the year for getting in on all the basketball, football hockey action at Draftking sports Book. It's the season of giving, so we're being gifted college football and basketball, pro football, basketball pro hockey to almost twenty four to seven. It's an absolutely great time of the year, so a lot of games every day, so many opportunities to place your first bet. Now, if you're gonna bet for the first time, just make it simple. Pick a team to win, any team. Go to Draftking sports Book. They have an app. Download it ninety seconds. Here's the gift for all new customers. Bet five bucks. Just five bucks bet wins. You get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook gap. The code is Colin col I n New customers one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets. If you got five bucks in it wins Happy Holidays from DraftKings.
Speaker 2: Crown is Yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and Y, or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bet must win to receive reward. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Ins four. Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co slash bball.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go another edition of Sharper Square. Chad Milman cost to the favorites. I will have a couple of college games in here as well because of I think some of the lines are work in our favor. By the way, I enjoy the college football playoff. You know, first rounds of the NCAA tournament, first rounds of the tournament aren't going to be great. I suspect. I suspect going forward the second round will be reseeded. That would be my guess. It will expand to fourteen or sixteen teams. I think there's been a bit of an overreaction to the tournament. What say you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally. I feel like two things out of this one. The first point you just made every year in March madness. The first round has you know, sixteen fourteen blowouts and two great games, and then like but everyone remembers the great games, the argument will expand the field, and then all of a sudden, you're going to span the field and there's going to be a MAC team that beat upsetting a Big ten team at twelve to five scenario.
Speaker 3: You're going to have that in college football one day. I don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: Also, two, you could have predicted before Tennessee played Ohio State, after Notre Dame had beat up on Indiana and after SMU was getting it handed to them by Penn State. I was in a tech chain with a bunch of IU buddies, right and I was saying, you can guarantee right now, next year, over correction for SEC and strength of schedule, you get seven SEC teams. You'll get two Big ten teams chosen from Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State. You'll get Clemson out of the ACC, you'll get who Cares out of the Big twelve, and you'll get Boise State. Right, because you won't get the at large team. You won't get the third Big ten team because now the committee is too scared because of all these blowouts.
Speaker 3: So you're now you're going to get just.
Speaker 4: The sec and when those teams are blown out in the first round, then you expand and you're like, ask, We're just going to let everybody in and hopefully we get some upsets sometime down the road.
Speaker 3: That's my take, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So we'll have some college football picks. We'll start with the NFL Broncos plus three and a half head coach Sean Payton with extra time. They played on Thursday. Cincinnati's defense is atrocious. I think people are overreacting to just how good Joe Burrow is. They can't stop people offensive coach extra time. Listen, they outplayed the Chargers for the first half, and you know then Justin Herbert just did what great quarterbacks do. He took the game over. This one jumped out to me as an overreaction. Broncos plus three and a half sharper square.
Speaker 3: So it's totally sharp. You nailed it about Joe Burrow.
Speaker 4: The Browns were in the Bengals backfield the entire game. Joe Burrow had no choice but to look brilliant and make brilliant plays like he's Superman because he was going to get sacked. He's purouetting into full on dives and throwing touchdown passes because his offensive line is so bad that he had no choice but to look like someone who everybody wants to bet on. Joe Burrow kind of holds the ball. That's kind of his mo. He wants to throw the ball downfield. He wants to get it to Higgins, he wants to get it to Jamar Chase. I would want to do that too, So it's not entirely his fault. He's playing into what he thinks will get them the best opportunity to win. But the Broncos have as good a pass rush as Cleveland, and they don't have Dorian Thompson Robinson, who, by the way, almost got the Browns to cover that game. That's how bad the Bengals defense is. So let me give you some stats about bow Nicks that should make you feel more comfortable about this, because I betted at three and a half bow Nicks against bad defenses. So defense is below the fifty percent threshold across a variety of metrics in the NFL, of which the Bengals are won seven or zero straight up and against the spread twenty nine points per game thirteen touchdowns two interceptions. The Broncos are ranked as a better team than the Bengals across the board in all DVA metrics, Like it's over inflation on the Broncos losing in prime time and the Bengals Joe Burrow looking like a superhero.
Speaker 1: Literally another game that jumped out to me. I don't like to bet. I don't like to bet bad teams. But the Saints probably the worst humiliation in the league this year, a standalone Monday night football game didn't score and it almost looked like they quit. Now they're at home getting a point against the horrible Raiders team Sharper Square.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what to say, Colin.
Speaker 4: In all the years we've been doing this, I will come on this show, whether it was at ESPN or here and try to get you to bet the ugly team in the worst game, and you're like, no, not betting a game I don't want to watch, not betting a bad quarterback. I was going through my notes before we came on the show, and I was thinking, all right, what game am I going to get him to bet that He's like, I haven't asked about it. It was the Saints. I'm going to have to work on the fly and think of a new game. Of course, we're betting the Saints here like they're getting They just got blown out in prime.
Speaker 3: Time, humiliated historically.
Speaker 4: Historically, you bet that team blindfolded. It doesn't matter that they're playing JV players, it doesn't matter who their quarterback is, they're at home, they're as as a dog. They just got blown out. Every sort of trend says you play that team. On the other side, the Raiders. Look, they beat up on the Jags, but let's not be fooled. They had a ten game losing streak and the Jags kept turning the ball over.
Speaker 3: So I wouldn't be too.
Speaker 4: Anxious to bet on the Raiders as road favorites in this spot.
Speaker 3: Give me the Saints.
Speaker 4: Now, I gotta scramble and think of what my other game I'm going to try to get you to bed is well.
Speaker 1: I like the Falcons plus floor the Commanders, and the reason I like it is, I mean, Jaden Daniels was a hero at the end, but he just tried to give that thing away early. I think Michael Pennix is really good. I think they have a good offensive line will hold the Commander's pass rush off four points is a lot. I do not I think the Falcons are gonna be competitive. Listen, they're playing for a division title, all right. This is a big game for them. So this is not like the Commander and the Commanders aren't gonna get home field advantage. The Falcons can win home field advantage with these wins down the stretch. It just seems to me, again, it wasn't that they just beat the Giants. It's not just that, but Pennix's accuracy. Greg Cosell talked about it this week. This this kid has an arm. I don't care if it's windy. I like the Falcons plus four sharper square, totally sharp.
Speaker 4: Wise, guys, bet this down from four and a half too, or I'd be surprised if it isn't a three and a half or lower by the game. A lot of the reasons you just indicated, Michael Pennix had a lot of fans into the draft, A lot of professional betters don't forget.
Speaker 3: The draft has become a huge betting event.
Speaker 4: Professional betters are digging into game film from college the same way they're digging into game film on a week to week basis now because there's a money making opportunity.
Speaker 3: There's a market, right. Michael Penix is one of those guys.
Speaker 4: Not dissimilar from Jayden Daniels, not dissimilar from bow Knicks, not that dissimilar from Caleb Williams.
Speaker 3: A ton of film on the guy.
Speaker 4: He played a lot of college football, and some of the reasons why these guys who are coming in and having successes because they played so many games. We saw how accurate he could be. I love watching Penicks throw like I think his ball is so pretty. And also I don't think in a primetime game he is someone who would be cowed by the lights the way other rookies might. He's played in massive games. Talk about college football National Championship. That's a big game. I don't care if it's in college like that has huge steaks. So he's been in spots. He's older.
Speaker 3: I like it too.
Speaker 1: A couple of favorites that jump out to me. The Bills slip walked, sleepwalk through their win over New England, so you get those when you're a dominant team. The Jets outplayed the Rams, had a horrible fourth quarter. Now you've got Aaron Rodgers is not sure he's coming back. There's more noise than ever. Aaron's had a good last six to eight weeks. But I think Buffalo is a significantly better team. Jetstro a little dinged up. Garrett Wilson is unhappy with his targets. I think Buffalo flexes here. I think Buffalo also watched the Ravens and the chief Yief's flex and play brilliantly. As favorites, there's a separation. You know, I don't like big favorites. I'm gonna take Buffalo minus eight and a half off all horrible winning performance Sharper square.
Speaker 3: So it's a little square.
Speaker 4: The numbers moved, you know, it's moved in the Jets direction. I can't fault you if you want to do this. Everything you just said is are all the reasons why I was on the Bills last week.
Speaker 3: I thought they'd want to flex.
Speaker 4: I thought they'd want to respond to Lamar Jackson throwing five touchdowns against the Giants and put Josh Allen back in the leadership position and get a stranglehold on that MVP. It didn't happen right Drake may was running, he was throwing accurately. Obviously different scenario, I lean into the Bills again. To be honest, I feel like everything you just said about the Jets is true, which is why I would want to back the Bills. Aaron Rodgers had been healthy for the past three weeks. He's now got a minor MCL issue on his knee. This team is a train wreck. I was all over the Jets last week. Whise guys were in the Jets last week. You cannot count in the Jets because the decision making of jeff Olbrick is so bad. He does not seem to understand the basic constructs of when to go fourth and fourth down, situational play clock management. If the Jets kick a field goal, I'm fourth and four from the Rams twelve yard line. Last week, they're up twelve to six, and that's the ballgame, Like the Rams were not doing anything. Instead, he twice went fourth and fourth downs and that's basically when the Rams won the game. So it's hard to bet on the Jets because jeff Elbrick is just so bad at.
Speaker 1: This one more NFL game, This line's moved back and forth. Panthers getting seven and a half division game at the Bucks Tampa is the better team. But all make the argument in the last month, Bryce Young is playing like a number one pick and c. J. Stroud's playing like a number two pick. The Panthers can move the ball. They've got a good coach. They can move the ball. Tampa's dinged up. I think they'll win, but division game a hot quarterback, it kind of feels like an easy one.
Speaker 4: Sharper square, totally sharp. I haven't understood this line all week. The wise guys haven't either. It was at eight and a half, it went down to eight. Now it's at seven and a half because money has been coming under the Panthers. I think you're good until seven. You know, at seven you just sort of leave it alone. You want to get the hook off of that key number. A lot of games end on seven. That's when we talk about key numbers three, seven, those are the biggest ones. What's interesting about this game is a month ago they played it in Carolina, Tampa was a six and a half point favorite on the road, one in overtime because Tuba Hubbard fumbled the ball in field goal.
Speaker 3: Range for the Bucks.
Speaker 4: Right, So now you take this game to Tampa, Tampa is only a point and a half better. When the line came out went from six and a half to eight, right, Normally home field is three points. What that's telling you is two things. One, bookmakers have generally regraded the Panthers. They started off one and seven against the spread. Bryce Young was terrible. Professional betters had been betting, betting betting the Panthers. I'm sure listeners remember early in the year. I was all over the Panthers. Bryce Young two point zero is everything you just said. He's rolling out of the pocket using his legs, incredibly accurate, standing in the pocket, taking really hard hits. He's been great. He's been a really good quarterback, much better than CJ. Stroud, Like you said, so bookmakers have adjusted to that. To me, eight was still a little too high. Wise, guys agree, you're sharp.
Speaker 1: Take the Panthers a college football line that jumps out to me. I don't believe you can win a national championship with a bad defense. That's why I think Texas and Ohio State probably play for the Natty, and I do think Georgia and Notre Dame are at least in play to play for the national championship. Oregon's defense is bad. Boise State ran on it, Ohio State did whatever they wanted on it. Penn State did whatever they wanted against the Ducks. I'm trying to forget the Tennessee game because it was in Columbus, but Ohio State has played in the Rose Bowl before. Whether it's not a factor. I said before the season, Oregon's going to beat Ohio State at Otson. Ohio State will beat them in the rematch. It's under a field goal. I'd take the Buckeye sharper square.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, that's the sharp side right now, right, and that's where the money is. And when you see money, and sort of any platform you're looking at, you can usually get betty percentages and money percentages. Money right now is on Ohio State. And look, you wouldn't expect Ohio State, which locks to Michigan lost to Oregon, has had a lot of drama, questions about Ryan Day, the fact they beat up Tennessee the way they did. Oregon has been out of the spotlight for a little bit. There's a lot of sentiment about the Buckeyes defense, like you just said, So that's the way the money has been going in this game. Look, it's fascinating, it's rare.
Speaker 1: You're going to.
Speaker 4: Get the second ranked, third ranked whatever it is team to be the favorite of the number one ranked team. But that's the spot we're in because of everything you just said.
Speaker 1: All right, there's a game I want you to kind of explain to me. So the Cardinals are missing both their offensive tackles. They have nothing to play for. The Rams are on a heater. The line starts at like six, it's now six and a half. Arizona doesn't travel well, so from time to time the Rams can feel like a road team at home. This won't be one of these times. I get the better quarterback, the better coach. The Rams now are completely healthy. I feel like they're better than the line. That Jets game was built for them to lose early game, cold weather, good defense, and they played a brilliant fourth quarter. I feel like it's six to six and a half. I have to bet the Rams. I know it's divisional sharper square if I like the Rams.
Speaker 4: Well, it's totally sharp if you like the Rams. But this is sort of the nuance of the betting business is getting the best of the number. This game on Sunday night opened Rams at minus four, So I'll do the favorites with professional better Simon Hunter on Sunday night on the Volume podcast network. We'll do it go on air at seven thirty.
Speaker 3: We'll do it live. We're off air before the Sunday night game.
Speaker 4: The timing is relevant here because we will preview the games that we like the most first glance, you know, gut instinct, not having done any research for the following week. This game stood out immediately. We started talking about the Rams minus four. Why is this number?
Speaker 3: Solow?
Speaker 4: The Rams just got out of a trap game against the Jets, and they won. The week before, they got lucky, the Niners dropped a couple interceptions. They beat the Niners in a monsoon. Now they're going home, chance to clinch the division against a team that is down. James Connor injured. We saw him practicing but still limping. Offensive linemen injured. Not a very good defense. A coach who doesn't know how to keep his team up yet the way they say Sean McVay would, or even Mike McCarthy did with the Cowboys against the Bucks. The number during that show went from four to four and a half to five to five and a half. Thirty minutes, it moved a point and a half. By Monday morning it was six. And so when you're talking about why isn't it sharp to bet the Rams now, because the wise guy's been betting it since it was at four, four and a half, five, five and a half, and a little bit at six until it got to six and a half. It got to seven, and wise guys started betting the Cardinals at seven.
Speaker 3: Again, the Rams are the right side, but if.
Speaker 4: You want to win as a better long term then you have to have enough discipline to choose the best of the number and then walk away. If you don't feel like you're getting it. You can still bet the Rams at six and a half. You'll probably end up winning, but it's not going to be a sharp side at six and a half. All right.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you I've had a lousy year betting, but so far I've got seven of eight division winners. I picked a surprise playoff team every year. It was the Washington Commanders. I pick a team that will double the Vegas win told it was the Denver Broncos. I said this on the air today on TV on FS one. There's the old saying with kids, the days are long, but the years fly by, and I feel like with the NFL week to week it's crazy, but over the course of a season, it's very predictable. So I've had a terrible year betting because I tend to take underdogs and value. You know, I'm always seeking value over favorites, but a lot of favorites. Of one is I'm trying to think. I missed badly on the Jacksonville Jaguars badly, but I'm proudest on my commander's pick. If I said to you, give me your width and the one you'll plant the flag and as you're really proud of this year.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's It's interesting. The Width started as the Panthers, just because I loved him. I just thought this team, this coach, this quarterback, this offensive line. More than anything, I just thought they were going to be much much better. It ended up being a whit because they started off so badly and I lost so much on them early in the year. I'll take a little bit credit that they got better, and so I'm glad about that.
Speaker 3: To me, the.
Speaker 4: One I'm most proud of is the Chargers. I love Jim Harbaugh and we didn't even talk about that game. I think he's a football savant, and I think that what he did against the Broncos is the exact reason why his teams turn around so quickly no matter the talent level. He knows the rules, he knows strategy, he knows clock management so well. What he did at the end of that first half against Sean Payton, who's a brilliant coach, was a masterclass.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: He takes the time out so they have to punt. The punk leads to the roughing the returner, the personal file that leads to the free kick leads to the Chargers having momentum and they win that game going away. That's good decision making, and you don't see That's what you don't see from Jeff Albrook. It's what you're not seeing from Jared Mayo, like you see the difference there. So to me, I'm most proud of the Chargers because I thought they'd be good this year and I played it that way. By the way, I'll also tell you that the bet that I always love the most, which I'm still in play for, I always do sort of a round robin on the teams that are at twelve to one or shorter to win the Super Bowl, and I will bet them in Super Bowl matchups because you can usually get those at like between twenty and thirty five to one. So you bet the Chiefs and the Allions, you bet the Chiefs and the Eagles, you bet the Ravens and the Lions, you bet the Ravens and the Eagles, and you bet the Bills and et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. I'm still alive with that. Even with the Bengals. I'm alive with that if they made the playoffs. So I always like that bet and feel good now that the Chiefs and the Ravens at least are two of the teams that I most heavily favored at the beginning of the year, along with the Eagles and the Lions, and I feel good that those matchups are still in play.
Speaker 1: Chargers minus four at New England. As long as we're talking about Harbaugh tend to like teams favored. JK. Dobbins should play Gus Edwards out which side of a leen? Oh?
Speaker 3: I totally lean Chargers.
Speaker 4: And this is a walking into a hornet's nest. Like in any other year, you mentioned the favorites, right in any other year, We're playing the Patriots here we're playing a team that's out of it at home more than a field goal underdog, a team traveling that's fighting to make the playoffs. Every trend will tell you against the spread in this scenario, the underdog is the right play. But for what we just talked about, I think Harbaugh's a brilliant coach. I think that teams are making more aggressive decisions, so they're scoring more points.
Speaker 3: I think that the fact.
Speaker 4: That the most teams are starting field position at the thirty yard line is getting them closer to scoring in the other side of the field and making them more comfortable on fourth and four from the forty going forward instead of kicking a field goal.
Speaker 3: And so I think that's one of the reasons.
Speaker 4: Why we're seeing underdogs lose so much this year and favorites win is there's more opportunity for them to score at a higher rate in bigger chunks, and it's impacting betting, Like betters are not having a great year. You know, favorites have gone seventy one percent straight up this year, just winning straight up. That's the most profitable season since two thy thirteen teams getting over sixty percent at the spread. So we talk about fading the public. We want to be contrarian because the public doesn't know anything. Teams getting over sixty percent of the spread, covering fifty six percent this year against the spread, home underdogs forty three percent against the spread this year. That'll be the third least profitable season since nineteen ninety. So for people like you, people like me, I want to fade the public. I want to bet home underdogs. That's usually where the value is. It's been a rough go of it.
Speaker 1: Man Chad Melman, co host of The Favorites. Good luck, Buddy, good luck to all of us. The volume