Speaker 1: I'm Ralph Barbosa. Check me out on the Bootleg keV podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, man, we got Ralph Barbosa on the Bootleg CAV podcast. Ladies and gentlemen, it's very good to see you're Now we're rolling. Ok Now, we're rolling. I thought we were kind of rolling already.
Speaker 1: Because I'm bad at podcasts. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: It's all good. It's all good. Man shout out to Dallas, Dallas, Texas. His own is here.
Speaker 1: Sure, Ralph Barbosa by way of Dallas, Texas in the house.
Speaker 2: In the house. Let me ask you a question, like is it cool like because I know you're, like, you know, you liking the hip hop and shit. You obviously did some skits on OT's album, and you know, I always see you hanging out with rappers and ship. But is it cool to have like like fucking Dallas is kind of popping, like big ex the plugs fucking lit right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never met him, but yeah, I've never got to meet him.
Speaker 2: Arguably, like two of the like the two popping guys from Dallas right now nationally and your own you know.
Speaker 1: Who, We're so busy, we never run into each other, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how many shows are you doing like a week, like when you're just like, obviously, I'm sure you got your main tour. But if like, let's say you're like at a tour and you're just like, yo, I just want to pop up on stage and just work some shit.
Speaker 1: My main shows are always going to be like the Friday Saturday, sometimes Thursday Friday Saturday, which would always end up being like six shows.
Speaker 2: Is not always happening always always.
Speaker 1: And then like this weekend, I mean this week we did so today's Wednesday, Tuesday. Last night we did a college gig at UC Riverside shout out to the students from there. And then tonight Wednesday and tomorrow we're going to do two shows a night at the Comedy Store just to work out some material. So if you are here to see a good show, you have overpaid because I'm just going new shit. Yeah, I'll just go out there, work some shit out, maybe just talk to the crowd or something. I don't do too much crowd work, but is.
Speaker 2: That a thing now, right? Like it's like you almost like there are certain guys who like are like really kind of exclusively known for just talking to the crowd. Yeah, and like to me, it's cool, but like, is it is it safe to say that like crowd work, comedians are frowned upon against like I think in the industry, if you.
Speaker 1: Would, I wouldn't say they're frowned upon. I think it depends on like the the age of the comedian or maybe just the comedian themselves.
Speaker 2: Like some old head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like like a traditional like purists, like kind of like with It's kind of like with hip hop, remember where a lot of people were hating on like mumble wrap or or like oh, they don't even have metaphors anymore. I think it's kind of like that. But in my in my mind, funny's funny for sure, you know what I mean. A good show is a good show no matter what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I feel like too like nowadays, like because it was another thing where like, oh, my guy pulled the label off the diet doctor pepper. You give diet doctor pepper free love.
Speaker 1: Now I'll give them the free love. I don't care. I just have this weird thing about peeling labels off my bottles.
Speaker 2: And you have Yeah, do you think like, first of all, you don't you don't need to lose weight. Why are you drinking the aspartam, Like.
Speaker 1: Why does that pertained the cancer stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in there.
Speaker 1: Well that's maybe that's why I drink it. I'm on my way out the door, bab.
Speaker 2: I would understand if you were like a fat guy or you just prefer diet soda.
Speaker 1: Bro, why do people wait until they're fat to start drinking the diet soda? Maybe this was keeping me from getting fat? You thought of that bootleg kif.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea. Don't wait until you get fat to start eating and drinking the right ship. Like, like, to be fair, drinking the right ship is not diet soda, but drink soda.
Speaker 1: Nah, I'm diabetic, so I just I'll go with the diet drinks.
Speaker 2: Well that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And people would like to to be like, you know those have more sugar than the regular ones.
Speaker 2: Well they have more sugar, they just have terrible ship. Yeah, but because I drink diet coke every day, really and this ship like this is an energy drink with no sugar, bro.
Speaker 1: I don't remember if it was one of those, or maybe it was like that C four one. I don't like energy drinks.
Speaker 2: Four, have you itching?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that Sea four had me.
Speaker 2: Like dog seafour, have you tweak and you'll be.
Speaker 1: Like I was like Smoky in the chicken coop.
Speaker 2: Like, bro, if you drink a seafour, like Ma Hoomie Sam will drink a Sea four and just sit down at this computer, and I'm like, bro, I feel like you're supposed to drink that before you work out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, you need to do something where you're gonna be better.
Speaker 2: Fuck that. They sell those like they're a normal energy drink because they got this. They have the ingredient in them that like make you itch the pre workout ingredients. It's like you'll have one and you'll be like, oh shit, fucking starburst, a.
Speaker 1: Starburst that's what. That's what enticed me, that red starburst K And then they don't have sugar.
Speaker 2: And then I feel like a crackhead. Yeah, the ghost is good. The ghost is just normal caffeine. It's not like you ain't gonna be fucking tweaked out.
Speaker 1: I'm also very anti energy drink, Like, forget the energy bro. If I'm ready to crash out, I just crash out. I don't care about the priorities, I don't care what's going on. I'm all wheel power. And if I'm out of willpower, then I'm out of wheel power.
Speaker 2: You could tell I have an energy drink and a coffee, so my caffeine consumption is getting out of hand.
Speaker 1: Fucking heart, It's just about a pop right now.
Speaker 2: For sure, it's a problem, it's definitely a problem. But now we're talking about guys going to say it like, I feel like another version of the hip hop comparison would be like guys who get like funny online, like I guess ge guys, right, but you were saying that you're like you love Drewsky. Drewsky's fucking hilarious. He's fucking doing arenas and you know, doing his own version of whatever comed is.
Speaker 1: I used to hate on like a lot of the really funny like TikTok and Instagram guys. But I think that I was just hating on them because when I when I was hating on him, I was a very unsuccessful up and coming comic. I was just going to open mics every night and these guys hanging yeah, and I'm like, write a joke, right, But even when I was hating on him, like, I couldn't help but laugh at them either. Everybody spends time on their phone and funny's funny, Like I don't know, I can't help it, Drew Ski, Juicky's on them on a whole other level to me, Like his kids are fucking hilarious.
Speaker 2: They're so like wealth. Did you see the one he just did with the row Tie Willie where they were like, uh, people from the South don't don't know when they're being overly offensive. Some of the scenarios he just sets up are just like yep, like it's it's the acting that goes to the shoft to Drew Ski shouts, uh, I just I got to show love my guy Concrete is fucking hilarious.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I just talked to that dude.
Speaker 2: He's so funny. And I saw him. I saw him at Haha Comedy Club like recently, because I never saw like I know him, like he's been on my show before, but just off his skits and ship, you know. And I saw him do stand up because I've been seeing him do stand up. And I went and saw a comedy show, uh, and he was on it and.
Speaker 1: He was fun Jerry Garcia a lot, bro.
Speaker 2: He was so funny, Like his stand up had me dying. I was like, what the fuck? I didn't know you were funny like this, Like you know, I knew you were about your skits and ship, but.
Speaker 1: Never go to New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've gone to New York.
Speaker 1: You watched like a lot of shows out there.
Speaker 2: I haven't been to a comedy show in New York, man, But you got to hit a comedy show in New York, like the seller in all those places, seller or even just like if you get any word on like just random like like Matn forgot his name.
Speaker 1: They run a.
Speaker 2: Barbershop show, comedy show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just do it out of this little barbershop.
Speaker 2: That sounds fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like some.
Speaker 2: New York ship. Yeah, do it at the bodega.
Speaker 1: I feel like another comedy hip hop comparison. You know, a lot of New York hip hop was just heavy on like what the lyrics were the bars? And Man, New York, the comedy scene in New York will make you into a better writer, Like you have to get more creative, you have to, like I don't know, just like just like how in New York hip hop it's just like bar after bar, Like the rhymes are quicker out there, like the jokes are quicker, like.
Speaker 2: And you got to kind of have to be because like you're almost like the way of living there is so like you have to just be on top of it in life because because you're around people all the time, you're on the subway, like you know what I'm saying, Like you got to be quick on your toes to go to the store out there, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Survival mode. For sure, I thought, like I thought it was kind of bad out here, but I'm afraid to get like assaulted in New York. I don't think anybody would help.
Speaker 2: No, No, they walk right by here. Yeah, I know for sure.
Speaker 1: I was in the subway like like New York Times Square, so it's just like packed, like there's hundreds of people walking around, and there was a man laying face down on the floor. I don't know if he was dead or asleep. Everybody just kept going by here. Nobody asked nothing, bro Like, everybody just kept walking.
Speaker 2: So that is the one thing about New York is everyone minds their fucking business. Like if you were to get in, if you were to literally get stabbed, people would just walk by. They would they'd be like, well, I got to get to work.
Speaker 1: I think they were like a video, wasn't there if some lady getting choked and everybody's just like, no happening.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. It's like New York is great. I love it here, but I would never live in New York. And then it's obviously like the opposite of being in Texas.
Speaker 1: Texas, everybody's looking for a reason to get involved.
Speaker 2: You know, everyone wants a reason that used their right. Hey, god they God damn, I got my fucking thing on me. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Man, I was I was driving. It's like a couple of years back. I was driving and I felt like this dude was just trying to kind of like race with me or something. So we're just, you know, just speeding on the highway. Meaning this dude he passed me up, and then I passed him up, and I thought it was kind of fun. And then this dude pulls up next to me and he pulls out a gun, and I guess he's just been trying to stay ahead the whole time. Maybe he thought I was cutting them all. He thought, Yeah, I'm like, hey, whatever, fun And this dudes like, fuck you bitch, can shoot you. Yeah, like almost slow white.
Speaker 2: Nah, I wasn't white.
Speaker 1: Everybody, Texas, don't discriminate everybody's.
Speaker 2: Everybody's t mad, Yeah, pissed. Shout out to Texas. You're like a pretty big car guy, right, Like didn't you grew up like kind of like around a body shop and shit, and like, yeah, that would have been your first if comedy didn't work out, you'd been fixing cars.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My dad had a body shop in an Oak Cliff, which is a neighborhood in Dallas.
Speaker 2: Shout out to oak Cliff. That's where you other Beezy's from.
Speaker 1: Right Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so very very serious area.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh Cliff was a pretty serious area.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, my dad had a body shop there. And so when I was like thirteen fourteen, maybe even like younger in the summers or just like every now and then, my dad would take me to work there or I just get dropped off there.
Speaker 2: And like, hey, this is where you're at for today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just sitting there like with paint fumes and there was no like paint booths, so everything was just.
Speaker 2: Like then whoever's workings, Like, I guess we're babysitting the bosses kids today.
Speaker 1: Yeahretty and it was just like my family, a couple other dudes with no papers, just watching everybody drink. We had a basketball hooping there, which is pretty cool. Fire So it's just standing a lot of cars. Down the street was the barbershop where I were that also, so it's like my two little gigs there, like standing cars or cutting hair. No Cliff and no Cliff, which is why a lot of people think I'm from there. But I wouldn't technically say I am. I say I got like some.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're like your crib wasn't there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, no, I was on the other side of the city tracks. Yeah, I was out there in.
Speaker 2: Mesquite, which which is a nice area.
Speaker 1: It's it's nice to people who live in o Cliff or like Pleasant Grove, like in ghetto areas. But then when you talk to like people who live in like it's weird because if I talk to like black and Hispanic people and they're here from the Ski, they'd be like, oh, hell yeah, you know, from a nice place. And then you tell white people from the Ski and they're just like yea. So it's like there's no winning bro right in the middle.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about everybody just like moving to Texas.
Speaker 1: I I mean, I don't care.
Speaker 2: It's fucking hell of fools. I think Texas had the most like new residents last year, Like were people like just new people move there.
Speaker 1: I don't really, I don't really care about it, just because I mean, it happens to big popping.
Speaker 2: City, it happens to the best places.
Speaker 1: But I moved out to like the country in Texas. I'm not gonna say where exactly because people will be like asking me and stuff. But I'm like out in the middle of nowhere, tiny tiny little town and people are starting to move there, and I am kind of like, ah, the fun there goes the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: It was the neighborhood. A fucking dickhead from California's here.
Speaker 1: Not even that like people from the city, like people from in Dallas. I'm like, bro, stay in the city, like this is my thing.
Speaker 2: When you say, like the country, like what is it, like, like you got like acres or shit?
Speaker 1: Like what like we got a couple of acres?
Speaker 2: Nice? Yeah, any animals.
Speaker 1: My neighbor has horses.
Speaker 2: Do you get to ride the horses? Nah?
Speaker 1: I don't like those horses. Man. One of them escaped and then he came on to like our land, and it was kind of scary because.
Speaker 2: To put that horse down if he trespasses it is Texas staying ground.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'm able to, but why would you. I don't want to do it, Like.
Speaker 2: You have a fucking Yellowstone War happening in the middle of fucking Dallas with your name.
Speaker 1: I'm like afraid of horses, bro, I want to. I want to like conquer my fear and ride one. When I was a kid, my uncle had one and my uncle swore to god it was like a good horse. And I was like, can I ride it? And he was like, yeah, come touch it. And I got like close to it and it started doing that.
Speaker 3: Like oh, you know that's crazy, and I was just like, fuck, I wrote a horse recently for the first time, and uh it was me and my wife watched Yellowstone and for her birthday she was like, I'm gonna go ride a horse.
Speaker 2: I was like, bet so I play in a little trip. We went and rode horses and palm springs. Then motherfuckers is motherfuckers?
Speaker 1: Bro?
Speaker 2: Like that's like if you're supposed to be like fully in control, like it's a car but it's not a car. You're like on this fucking giant mammal that has its own free will. I guess bro.
Speaker 1: When I was in New York though, and I went to like Central Park and they do the horse rides, I felt bad for those horses because they were like really calm and like, no they're broken yeah, And I'm like, bro, where do you go at?
Speaker 2: Like when you're not here night, where you at?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Where is you?
Speaker 2: You're in New York City there, so like where's the farm?
Speaker 1: There is no place for a horse other than this park, Like, yeah, where the fuck did you go?
Speaker 2: Dude? It's crazy because like when they say yeah, I got my horse broken in, it literally means you broke the horse's spirit. Yeah, like you made that like you you you spiritually like psychologically tortured the horse to the point where it'll just do whatever you wanted to do. That I feel bad for.
Speaker 1: Shout out to New York horses, man, get your life together, all.
Speaker 2: The horses men. Shout to the horse. Hey, fucking Texas got all the big ranches though, you know, but cowboys.
Speaker 1: Here's something that I realized too from moving out to the country is like you see all these nice, beautiful horses like on TV or like you see pictures of them, and a lot of people in the country have horses, but a lot of people in the country aren't wealthy, right, so these horses look like ghetto horse.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 1: These horses are little crackheads, like just sucking beat down. Yeah, they're not all muscular and majestic. They're just like, bro, when is our owner gonna It's like when you.
Speaker 2: Look on TV and there's like the beautiful Golden Retriever rappers got a fucking Frenchy and then you go to like your aunt's house and she got a fucking a half Chihuahuai. She had a pug half pug, fucking just street rat and you're like, Jesus Christ put.
Speaker 1: The little chain on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god. Yeah, it's crazy. Like did you grow up going to like any of the like rodeos and ship like or was that a thing.
Speaker 1: When when I was really really small, Yeah, me and my grandpa would go. He dressed me up like a cowboy and stuff, and we'd go watch the horses or like the bullfights and all just pretty fun. But then then I kind of feel bad. As I got older, I started thinking about it, they were like electrocute the bulls. Sometimes somebody somebody got electrocute something.
Speaker 2: You know, you got it makes stun guns for a reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, comedy movement.
Speaker 1: It's cool there, man, there's lots of pretty girls at the Hoti feels Yo.
Speaker 2: Talk to me like, because i'd heard kind of like you talk a little bit about your pops on other podcasts. Like he was an entrepreneur. Is it tafe to say? Yeah, so he had multiple businesses.
Speaker 1: My dad back in the day was involved in some less than legal activities, right, But I Meandy, it is where he's from. Like, if you want to get out of where you're from, I guess for sure my dad was involved in some less than leego activities.
Speaker 2: Is he from Texas?
Speaker 1: Originally he's from Texas. Yeah, he got out of it, and then years after he got out of that, he still got caught up. You know what I mean. He did did his time, so had to go sit down. Yeah, he has to go through some time for like drug stuff or yeah, drug stuff was it?
Speaker 2: Because this is the thing. It's crazy being in CALLI and seeing people go to prison for weed. I know, it's a thing. I know there's a lot of people sitting down for marijuana right now. But man, whenever we go to like we went to Texas bro and like OT was like, Uh, you're good in Houston, Like they're not tripping in Houston. But the outskirts of these big cities is where the cops will get you fucked up just for smoking.
Speaker 1: I think it always just depends on the cop you happen to written into it.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying like, depending on the area you grew up, like motherfuckers is like really doing real prison time for marijuana and other drugs.
Speaker 1: That sucks too, man, because it's like how people say you were, I mean, as as as anti drug as you are, whoever you are. It's understandable to be anti drug on most drugs, especially if you see somebody who's.
Speaker 2: Like heavy on mad tweaked out.
Speaker 1: But when have you ever seen a pothead that bad, like somebody who only smokes weed, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Someone whose life depends on it, like someone who's like more like like selling their fucking This is what I say because I always say I would like to try crack before I die. And the reason why I'd like to try crack.
Speaker 1: Before the dream. I was on crack last night. Sorry, go ahead, crazy your dream.
Speaker 2: But I always would like, man, any drug that'll make a straight man suck dick to get more of it, you got to give it a shot one day. I'm not saying I don't want to do it anytime soon.
Speaker 1: Do it when there's no dicks within your radius.
Speaker 2: But we know what it's like with Bob Saget God rest is soul said and half baked. No, have you ever seen somebody ever suck some dick for some weed? No?
Speaker 1: I feel like if you're not wanting to suck dick for the drug, should not be even a felony.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, if you're not willing to suck dick and cross the you know your sexual orientation boundary for that for to get more of the drug, I think it should be legal. I don't know if people are. People aren't sucking dick for shrooms?
Speaker 1: No, No, And if you are, I mean that's my choice.
Speaker 2: That's like a that's just like a straight up YOURDC. You're probably in a fucking rave like like, oh you got shrooms, I got some head for.
Speaker 1: You, like that that juicy j bar where he's talking about man, how does it go somebody he's fucking with college chicks and then it's like they sucking dick for homework.
Speaker 2: Shout out to JUICJ. Man. His fucking his wee trippy main era mixtapes were fucking classic.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm still those are like when I'm fucked up and I'm.
Speaker 2: Was a green carpet, Green carpet and then uh, what was the the I'm getting high as fuck?
Speaker 1: I'm getting I'm getting high as fuck and a double cup I like that?
Speaker 2: Was that Wiskelefa?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think so in Two Chains to Change was on it?
Speaker 1: I like that, Uh my Manchin sitting on forty acres who the neighbors? Kobe Bryant from the Lakers paper.
Speaker 2: That was an era. That was a nice that probably was hitting his Texas too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did Juice J has always been hitten.
Speaker 2: I feel like that era because he was off that lean. I mean he always obviously sit with some scissor was always, but I feel like he had the double cup ship popping and that was like twenty twelve, twenty thirty.
Speaker 1: Mafia in general. Uh, what's that one song Juice Got Weed?
Speaker 2: Juice Got Juice Got not for sure, three six for sure? Did you ever get just like, did you ever try lean?
Speaker 1: I've tried it, but I tried like very little of it. They gave me, like, so I don't even know if I got the full effect of it.
Speaker 2: Never tried it. Man, I've had people try to pass me. There a couple just take a sip. I'm like, a Nope, I will not get addicted into golf syrup. Nah.
Speaker 1: I can see how it's addicted, for for sure. But I didn't like how I got drug addicts throughout my family, So I'm always very I'm only I've never even taken a pain bill. Nah. Oh, dude, you gotta try.
Speaker 2: I just I've only smoked weed. I've done mushrooms. I want to do some other ship like d MT and ship, but.
Speaker 1: Then t shit kind of scares me.
Speaker 2: It's it's very intimidating, which why I haven't done yet.
Speaker 1: I'm everybody says that, like you see some stuff that will help you get closure, Like this guy. My cousin was telling me about this guy who like his wife passed and I guess for like a year two years, he didn't go out, he didn't date. He was just really like depressed and stuff. And when he did that that he saw his wife and that she was basically telling him like it's okay, you know, or like like my buddy, you know. Uh. I guess saw like stuff about his father who has passed. And I don't know if these are actual spirits coming to talk to you or do you just see what you want to see or hear what you want.
Speaker 2: It's like that in the ayahuasca thing, I'm like extremely scared to do. I'm gonna do it, but I just am very like, I don't know what I'm gonna see, bro, which was the ayahuasca is the ship where you like you have a shaman and then it lasts like four or six hours or something. It's like you drink it like in the tea. It's like the ship.
Speaker 1: Like I could never do that.
Speaker 2: I hate tea. Yeah, well how do you hate tea?
Speaker 1: I don't like tea.
Speaker 2: Love Doctor Pepper, but not Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like snapples, but that's not really tea.
Speaker 2: It's t ish. You don't drink like like a green tea.
Speaker 1: Really, the only time I'll drink tea is if I'm like really sick. It has to be like a hot tea, yeah, or like a lot of lemon and honey. Sure, so it doesn't taste like tea anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh, you don't like to taste I don't. I don't like to taste the tea. Man, Yeah, I can I get it. He's not you know, you are you like coffee sometimes? Yeah, but you're you're kind of like, uh, you know, outside of sod your weakness. Would you say?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it is probably my weakness.
Speaker 2: Mine too, man, mind too. Coca cola.
Speaker 1: Coca cola is good.
Speaker 2: It's the best.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying, I don't. I don't like stuff like I don't like drinking coffee, like energy drinks a lot. I like that Cuban coffee though.
Speaker 2: Like that little little little shot. Yes, so that it was like addictive, not just addictive. And it's great because you just you don't feel like you're it's just shot and then you're just like like we're ready. Man.
Speaker 1: I had like a few of those back to back, went to Florida. I was just like fuck yeah, too much, too much?
Speaker 2: Nah, I think the best ship if I ever, if I could drink anything or eat anything without any sort of negative consequences dietarily, it would be a Mexican coke. If I could just have, if I could just have like the big bottle of Mexican coke unlimited, and it wouldn't affect my health in any negative way. It either be that or pizza.
Speaker 1: You ever try Mexican food up north in the Bay Very no, no, no, Like, well, I'm sure the Bay has good Mexican food the Midwest, though, man, no, no, no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: I lived in Florida, and because you know I'm from the West Coast, I'm from Phoenix, so we got amazing Mexican food. Bro.
Speaker 1: Phoenix is so easy to find good Mexican food. Yes, I like Phoenix.
Speaker 2: You can fall into good Mexican food there. But yeah, when I lived in Florida, it was a joke.
Speaker 1: I got food poisoning from Mexican food in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: See, I wouldn't even have tried it. I was like, we're in Minnesota. What do they got in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's just so many Mexicans cheese curds.
Speaker 2: There's not so many Mexicans there. There's some.
Speaker 1: All the Mexicans in Minnesota were in your show. Now we left the show and we were looking for just like anything twenty four.
Speaker 2: Hours to eat and there's a Mexican spot.
Speaker 1: Well, we always look for a diner first of all, because nobody ever really goes to a diner so low.
Speaker 2: Key, you know what I mean, for sure.
Speaker 1: So we find this one diner and it wasn't like a diner. It was like a gay bar or something. It just looked like a diner. Or maybe it just happened to be a lot of gay dudes there that day. I don't know, but they were serving alcohol a lot of gay dudes. To me, that makes it a gay bar. Also, I was still gonna eat there, but I couldn't get a menu or service or anything.
Speaker 2: They were like this full straight fuck yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So I felt so lame. So I was like, man, let me just find another place real quick. And the first place that came up was this Mexican restaurant down the street. So we went and it was like they're doing like karaoke. It was like more of a party bar type vibe. But they they had after hours naha. They just stay open till like two at that so it's already like one or one thirty. And when we sat down, the server was like, oh, we're gonna the kitchen is gonna close like in ten minutes.
Speaker 2: You get your ordering.
Speaker 1: So they had like these big family platter type like okay, tony tacos or like this thing. So we're like, man to bring us like these three items, like you know, and I think they just cooked it in a rush since they wanted to close already. And man, we're gonna leave. We're supposed to. We were supposed to leave to the airport like at four am. And when I got up, I just knew that I wasn't gonna be able to take another step without throwing up.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: But I had to stay in that hotel room like another twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Dude. I recently, me and this food were going to Vegas for the iHeart Festival in September and I was going out there. Why were you? Why were you coming with me? We're shooting interviews? Yeah, okay. So I had eight in La there stores called Aldi, which is like the healthy foods. Nah. It's like you go there and you get discounted shit. It's almost like a discount grocery store, right oho. So my wife got lunched me from there, and right before I left, I ate a sandwich and uh man, I was I've never been so sick in my life. And it was food poisoning. And when I tell you, dog like I was puking, shitting, I mean, Bro, I was like in fetal position in the front seat of the car. Yeah, just like Bro. And then we get to the hotel in Vegas. Bro, I was just in the bathroom. I put the pillow next to the toilet.
Speaker 1: That's how it was.
Speaker 2: I put the I put a blanket down on the floor, and I put the trash can right there too. I had the shower running for a lot of it. I was like, man, I need to heat the ship up, and I had the shower. I was just like dog, bro is the worst.
Speaker 1: And then I'm like a baby too, like I'm ready to as soon as I even get like a cold, I'm ready to. I'm out.
Speaker 2: That food poison is this in and out though, it was like it's like a day and a half and then I was like it's gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then your stomach still kind of sensitive for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're you lost a little weight though. At the end of that food poison and ship you want to lose like you want to lose five pounds just lunch me.
Speaker 1: I've been trying to gain weight. I've been trying to gain weight for years.
Speaker 2: Drink, drink the regular doctor pepper.
Speaker 1: I'll die. No.
Speaker 2: We had a Denny's in my hometown that was called Jenny's in Phoenix.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, you had a Denny's.
Speaker 2: We called it Jenny's because it was the gay Denny's Seventh Street and Camelback in Phoenix, and it was like you would go there and it would be like a gay bar, bro, Like, because all the gay clubs are right there, so like everybody leave the gay club and go to Jenny's. So you'd get like it was right by the radio station I was on out there, so we would leave, go go eat. This shit would be fucking turned up in there. Bro.
Speaker 1: That sounds like the type of place a gay dude would go to, like if he's been striking out all night.
Speaker 2: But you know what, Let's go to Danny's and see what's that Jenny's. Let's go to the gay Danny's and see if we can fucking pull something. You never know, Right, Let's go get a grand slam, Let's go have a couple of cokes and see what's hanging out.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing I've learned from one night stands is if the girl or whoever your respective partner of the night is if the first one you were hanging out with throughout the night, like it just doesn't work out and it's like two three in the morning, don't try to.
Speaker 2: Pick up another.
Speaker 1: Don't just go to sleep, go to sleep, because whoever you're going to try to pick up is beyond drunk at that point.
Speaker 2: And to be fair, it's like your options at that point get worse, yeah, and worse. And if you if you try to do that from a desperate place, well you're gonna wake up like what the fuck did I just do?
Speaker 1: If you're if you're way too drunk and I see a sign off you're way too drunk, I'm out of there for sure, no remorse.
Speaker 2: Well you're your too famous, like you can't be like even before though, no, no for sure, but I'm saying, but like you can't even risk it, like like if a girl like I feel like if a girl is even just like hey, like, hey go home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was at I was at a club once and this girls like my friends are here, Like we were hanging out throughout the night with her and shoot, I could tell she was drinking kind of heavy. So I was already like on edge, and she was like, my friends are here, they're coming in from the entrance.
Speaker 2: Let's go get them.
Speaker 1: And so as we're walking to the other side of the club, she's like stumbling and at one point she just straight up falls and had. I had just met her that night at the club, and the security guy was like, hey, bro, you can't have your girl. Your woman like doing like this, man, you might have to leave. I was, I don't know her, I walked off.
Speaker 2: You just left. You're like, shit, that's all I Hey, dog me, bro, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't like hanging out with people who get crazy drunk like that, but when I'm when I'm blackout drunk, I do want somebody to help me out.
Speaker 2: Do you get blackout drunk often?
Speaker 1: Nah, I've gotten black out drunk maybe like four times my whole life.
Speaker 2: Your whole life. That's impressive. Consider you consider blackout drunk like you don't remember, or drinking to puking both.
Speaker 1: So if I'm drinking to the point where I don't remember, I'm probably gonna puke at some point in that night.
Speaker 2: Because I'll get to the point where I'm drinking and I'm like, fuck, I'm fucked up and I didn't eat ship today. I just need to go get this shit out of me, and I'll just go puke.
Speaker 1: Nah, I won't puke unless I'm like at the point where I'm not gonna remember stuff.
Speaker 2: I got to get this shit out of me before I fucking like in the front seat of my boy's car and then I puke in his fucking car. My father in law threw up in the want to see to my cyber truck shot out to him. I thought it was fucked up.
Speaker 1: You're married? Yeah, oh shit, Congress Yang Gang.
Speaker 2: I ain't been married since twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, nice, Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: My wife's Mexican. My kids are both my kids are Mexican.
Speaker 1: You don't got to being racing to it.
Speaker 2: We're here, man, we're here. No, but but yeah, no since twenty eighteen, So what is that six years now to be six years in December?
Speaker 1: Any advice?
Speaker 2: Um, are you? Are you in a relationship?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, doo, I get in one now. I would just say, like, if you get into a relationship with somebody whom which you can see the potential of I would say this anybody who you would call like your lady, because you could have fun and have homies that you fucking like kind of like situationships if you will. But if you're gonna like make some shit official, I feel like you always want to do that with somebody who you feel like would be like a good mom, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, so I would always look at it like a girl through the perspective of like, man, if I got a kid, this girl.
Speaker 1: I like to give people the benefit of the doubt though, you know, I mean that's fair. I like to I like to hopefully impregnate somebody who would who I think would make a horrible mom.
Speaker 2: And then make her a better mom. Yeah, like she would suck. Like, Yo, I've met this girl. She was doing Xanax, and I'm like those toxic girls.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I need a project.
Speaker 2: That's a thing for real, Like if you like, like, hey, man, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: Fall in love with strippers quite often. Yeah, they don't want to be saved.
Speaker 2: But my wife was a stripper.
Speaker 1: No, you just she don't care that. You just said it like she was a tripper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I meant I was DJ at the strip club and she was dancing. Oh yeah, yeah, but I knew her for like, like she was like she was a fourth grade school teacher and then she would dance, So she was like teaching fourth graders and then dancing.
Speaker 1: It'd be funny if she like confused her jobs, you know what I mean, she went to work mode at the wrong job. But Okay, how how long were you dating before you and I were friends?
Speaker 2: For like, see we started dating in twenty sixteen, we were probably friends for like two years prior to that, where I would just be in town DJ and you know, she was just the homie at the club, Like she was like the only girl at the club. Wouldn't drink on the job because she had to get up and go teach school.
Speaker 1: Did she have like a favorite song that she would dance to sometimes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like fucking uh depended depended for sure. Sure, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Did you ever like did you guys when you were dating? Did you guys ever have a fight and then you showed up outside her room with a boombox and then played that song?
Speaker 2: No no, but that definitely showed up to saw her fucking house, Like, no, we're to talk you ain't going You ain't getting out of this. But yeah, she's great.
Speaker 1: Did you ask her to stop dancing or did she kind of naturally on her own.
Speaker 2: No, it was just kind of like once we moved to La together, it just kind of like it wasn't necessary anymore. It wasn't like she was like one she hated it, you know what I'm saying. But it was just kind of like a necessary means for her to support her kid.
Speaker 1: You know, I wonder how many dancers don't.
Speaker 2: Really most dancers don't like it. Bro. No, it's not that they don't like it, but it's like you got to understand like the strip stripper. I mean, listen, I'm dj at Jaguars and Phoenix for fuck over a decade, and like strip club culture is like it could be it could pull you in for real, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine it has to be fun maybe at the beginning, right right, and then it must get I.
Speaker 2: Think at a certain point in time. It's like it just depends on what you're doing it for. It if you're doing it because hey I want to have fun, get fucked up, make some money, you know, it is what it is. If it's like, yo, I got a goal. This is a way for me to get to my goal. If it's like yo, Because at the end of the day, like being a stripper is very it's there's a you know, there's a fucking negative connotation to that line of work, right. People automatically assume you're this or you're this. Right. So it's like, then there's strippers who like treat this shit like a job for real. It's like, you know, it's at the end of the day, a stripper's job is to make you feel good enough to give them more money. Right.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's my job as well.
Speaker 2: Their job is to make you feel like you have a chance, so you keep spending money and.
Speaker 1: Then kind of like crack, you're always going to chase the dragon, right, and.
Speaker 2: Then when when your time with that person's over, you're looking for your two or three dance or your tour you know whatever. Okay, I'm out, let me go try to make some more. You know, you're out of money.
Speaker 1: Next thing you know, you're sucking dick for lap dances.
Speaker 2: Next next thing, you know, you're sucking dick for lap dances. Are you a strip club guy?
Speaker 1: Nah? I've been a handful of strip clubs, but I would have sayd I'm like a strip club guy.
Speaker 2: I enjoy strip clubs because I just like the and I own a nightclub in a z that's fucking amazing eleven eleven, which is lit as fuck. But if I'm going out, I'm either going to a dive bar, I'm going to a strip club.
Speaker 1: I love dive bars.
Speaker 2: Dive bar is my ship because I can actually like talk to the homies, hear them, you know, random this people watch, and then the strip club always has the best food.
Speaker 1: I've gone to strip clubs with dudes who like don't want to throw money. They're like, Nah, you don't need to be throwing money, it's just about hanging out and drinking. But I'm like, bro, it's a strip club. Like I feel rude if I don't throw somebody, they don't even got to come dance on me.
Speaker 2: But likething here, thank you.
Speaker 1: Imagine you sit down at a Jenny's and you just order a coffee and you never order food, and you don't want to leave.
Speaker 2: You're just drinking coffee, and it's like, Okay, you're taking up real estate at the club.
Speaker 1: Like somebody who's gonna tip could be sitting here, you know what I mean, and then you're gonna leave and leave a five dollars tip for this poor waitress who's been pouring you refills for the last two hours, Like come on, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout out to the waitresses. That's funny. How many strip club waitresses I've known that have always ended up dancing. It's like it's like strip Like waitressing at the strip club is almost like junior college, and then you go to university, you know, and then you on the stage.
Speaker 1: One of my one of my friends, she's she's a dancer, and she stopped dancing and she's just the waitress now, which I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: That happens too, where a girl will be a stripper for all these years and then they get a little older, or they get into a serious relationship, or they get into like I'm just over this ship, let me just waitress, or the club will come to her and say, hey, look you're looking a little old and flabby. We got a waitressing gig for you.
Speaker 1: And that's what's happened.
Speaker 2: Happen You gotta can you serve drinks because you could be a hell of a bartender.
Speaker 1: That's like being a racehorse. And then one day they're like, why don't you just give the kids, Why.
Speaker 2: Don't you go to the pet.
Speaker 1: You can still make tis.
Speaker 2: Baby, We'll still we'll still make a little money, will cut you in, We'll give you some good feed. That is really that's a nice correlation anyway, So talk to me man, Just like for you, bro, like you've obviously kind of taken the comedy world by storm in a way that's like very It's just dope to see because I remember when I first heard of you, it might have been like a year and a half ago, maybe maybe two years ago, and then it almost felt like almost like within like a month or two of me hearing about you and seeing some of your stuff online, and like you're on Joe Rogan.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Joe Rogan was cool man, he was real nice. It's crazy how many things people send him?
Speaker 2: Are you things?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I know I know when you when you have like a podcast or like Rappers, comedian anybody with like a following, people send you free stuff for sure. But I remember when I got there there was all these packages that had just gotten there too, And it's like that morning, this is what everybody's saying, and a lot of a lot of drugs.
Speaker 2: It's like there's just a package, like hey, yeah, that's all the stuff that came in the mail.
Speaker 1: But it's like, bro, that's that's always crazy to me too, people who send drugs like that, because it's like, do you really think somebody's just gonna trust you to take your drugs?
Speaker 2: Especially yeah, especially if they don't know you, especially like you're sending drugs to Texas, which is never a good idea. Yeah, but like and to like one of the most the most powerful media personalities in the world, like, yeah, let me just traffic drugs to his office.
Speaker 1: Even Joe looked at it, Who's just like, yeah, you have to be an idiot to take this, like, which I'm not gonna. I kind of tempted to take it.
Speaker 2: You're like, well, shit, bro, I'll take it. Story, I'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: But nah, even I would like.
Speaker 2: Like I took these fucking jkass drugs from Joe Rogan's office and he didn't want to take and I ended up in jail that night.
Speaker 1: My yeah, my biggest figure is like, what if somebody just wanted to make a story out of this, Well, what if somebody sent me free drugs just drop them off or whatever, just saw that they could be like, oh but I laced it with this, And so I wanted to hear him tell a story about the time he got laced with some shit. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: For sure, people are twisting me. Now people send you free shit, like I get I I won't even take free clothes anymore from clothing lines that you know. I used to just send my address, not to everybody, not my address, like the radio station address. I'm like, yeah, I'll take whatever for free, for show whatever. But now it's like someone's like, hey, man, I'm gonna send you a package, and I look at their shit, I'm like, man, that shit is whack.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes like I'm good, Like you know, there's shit that like I fucking fuck with. And you know, like if fucking Cookies want to send me a box of clothes, which they do very often, Yeah, I have a support burner. That's my brother, you know what I mean. Like, but I'm not fucking I'll support also like independent brands, you know what I'm saying, Like if if there's like a dope brand, it's like like this guy he makes these wrestling shirts and I like the YO, shout out to those guys. They did a collab with OT. Yeah you're out of Houston. Their fire for sure, like they got some hard as shit. I've seen it for sure. But uh, but no, you were saying, so I want to know, like going on Joe Rogan, there's always this you know, narrative that once you go on there as a comedian, almost like a flip switches in terms of like did it change things for you? Did you notice the maybe the extra attention, the extra fans, the extra ticket sales, Like was there a correlation? No?
Speaker 1: No, No, I think I think I was doing all right.
Speaker 2: No, because you were you were you were like heating up for you was heating he was on fire.
Speaker 1: I think the only the only thing it was more like a like a badge of merit, if you want to call it. Like a lot of people who are already supporting me were like, yo, like it's official, you made it. Now you're on the Joe Rogan podcast. But I don't think I got more ticket sales from it or nothing like that. You know what's funny, this is how this is how wide and popular. His podcast is though is I talked quite a bit about when I used to paint cars, and I guess there was clips that were, you know, released from that where I only talk about that, and and and every now and then, you know, you run into people who recognize you from like my comedy clips. Order. I was at a bar in Austin and somebody's like, yo, I know you, And in my mind I'm like, oh, he's seen my my stand up clips. He was like, you're a painter. He's like, I saw you on Joe Rogan man. Keep up the good word, like.
Speaker 2: You paying cars and you made it rog yeah it must be fired.
Speaker 1: So that I mean, that was about it. But I think I think a lot of the people who follow me and a lot of people who support my career, my stand up they were just kind of like proud to see that. And a lot of a lot of them are Joe Rogan podcast fans, so they were just like, oh, yeah, bro, but do.
Speaker 2: You know how do you recall her? Do you know how you kind of got on his radar? I mean, obviously he's a comedian, fucking I.
Speaker 1: Think so somebody had sent me a clip one time where him and I think it was like Burt Kreischer, we're talking about me when the whole Lopez thing popped off. And I think in that clip Joe mentioned he was like, oh, yeah, I've seen his stuff online here and there, you know. So I guess he had just seen me here and there. So did he reach out to you, yeah? Or maybe I don't know. I just I just remember my manager was the one that was like, do you have interest in doing the podcast? You could do it, you know. And so I don't know if my manager reached out first or they reached out first, but they got in touch and I got an.
Speaker 2: Opportunity will I went up there during the pandemic, Freddie Gives and Brian Moses did an episode and so I was I went to Austin with Freddy Gibbs and uh we went to his studio and I was so like, like, the out the exterior of his studio is not what anybody would expect. It's almost like you're pulling up to like a doctor's office. I actually think there's a doctor's office next door, and it's like very like unassuming. You wouldn't expect like this business complex or whatever.
Speaker 1: I didn't assume this was a studio.
Speaker 2: That's fair. This used to be a fucking illegal dispensary.
Speaker 1: I was about to say, yeah, this looks like like you traffic.
Speaker 2: I actually think that might have happened here before. I've heard some ship about this place. We had a remember who was the the fucking oh remember dope Yola came in here and he said, used to pick up pounds of drugs from the agents that used to own this place.
Speaker 1: I bro, I bet you know.
Speaker 2: Thomas from you went on this pot. Yeah. He was like, Bro, He's like, I know this place. He's like he's like, walk me through the front because I could tell you where. I was like, yeah, we had to re obviously redo it. But no. But it's it's funny because it's like it's for real, like like I would expect it to be, like you got to pull up, there's this big gate, open it up, and there's like fucking fields and like this big airplane hanger and it's just like, oh, you just kind of pull up. Oh this is where it's at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I like, I like your space here, man, and it's given me ideas because I want to start a podcast.
Speaker 2: But it's the thing to do with you're a comedian, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: But I never made the time for it or made it a priority. But yeah, I just started buying like all the equipment and stuff, right, and I'm working on I guess my own like little studio space. I don't I don't want to rent a place now you can ship building myself a little room.
Speaker 2: I mean you live in the country, Yeah, you got space.
Speaker 1: My only the only thing is though living out in the country is like how am I going to get guessed? That's the problem because I'm near Dallas, but I'm not that close to data.
Speaker 2: That's the problem. And that is a big reason why I still live in La. Yeah, you see.
Speaker 1: So I don't know even even.
Speaker 2: Moving to Dallas or like places I've considered, like like I like l A, I love LA I love Birdbank where I live. But I've like thought like damn, like if I move, where would I go? And it's like, man, but wherever I move, there's nowhere at least for what I do that I would have the guest access that I have here. Yeah you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And then you'd have to do those zoom podcasts.
Speaker 2: Which nobody likes.
Speaker 1: Nobody likes that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like it's like, you know, if I was like, oh, I only if I was like a comedian or something, I moved to Austin because that's what you want to you'd want to do it. So at least it's kind of how is that drive like four hours? Five hours?
Speaker 1: For me? It's three hours three hours?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah, but nah, no, you should do a podcast, dude. Like and that's the other thing too, is like just figure out what your thing should be is like interviewing fools, like a lot of times, at least for you, you could probably just have your friends on cause your friends are popping, you know, like, hey, when are you d in Dallas next?
Speaker 1: Coming down to take take the podcast on the road with me. I feel like most of my time I'm on the road, I'm theo.
Speaker 2: Vonn's been doing that more. Yeah, where he'll be somewhere and you'll be like, oh, that's not his normal studio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it'd be cool, like if I'm in New York for a few days, you know.
Speaker 2: To bang out fucking you know, get it, get a sweet and then set up in the hotel. Don't even rent one of those podcast studios. It's not worth it you just because they'll tax your ass for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah fuck that?
Speaker 2: What is you mentioned? You know? Obviously for people who don't follow you, there a lot of people who don't know you. You Actually, how I heard of you was because of the George Lopez thing, Like essentially George Lopez, I would say, was he was a lot of people say hate being an old head, if you will, have you found yourself in the position where you because you're kind of the face, like the the face of like Latin comedy right now, Like you're the most popping up and coming Latin comedian at least in my opinion. Obviously, everybody's subjective to who that may or may not be, but at least to me, it seems like you're that guy. Is that something you think about, Like, Okay, if I'm the face of this new generation, do I have to be careful about not being the way George Lopez was to me to like maybe whoever's coming up?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I I don't think I'm like a very social person. I think I lean more towards like an intro vertic side for sure. So sometimes when I'm in a city like La New York or somewhere where I go visit, like the comedy store, this club, that club. Maybe I don't do such a good job of talking to all the comics saying what's up to all comics, but I do. I do try to like push myself to like yo. But one thing that I would say I do good at and comes kind of natural, is like if I see a comic who I think is genuinely funny, whether they be Latino, black, white, whatever, and I think they're hustling and maybe they're not like a full time comic yet or their up and coming order, and I can offer some sort of help, like I definitely will. Maybe I can't always help as often as some comics would like me to help, but if I can lend the hand to somebody who's who I think is funny or like you know, is working at it, like I'd love to do that. And I even for the people that are like in my class or whatever you want to call it, my rank order, I'm very competitive, but I see it like in a friendly way, like like when my friends who are at around my level are are getting great opportunities or just kindling it on stage, Like I want to do what they're doing or top it, but only with the hopes that they're also gonna top me again, you know what I mean, because I still want to see them win, like, but they're also seeing them when it's pushing me to like or let me keep up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's almost like it's almost like when you play somebody you know. First of all, hip hop is a perfect example again perfect correlation. It's like you might do a song with your friend, but if you do a song with your friend, like you want to do better than them a list, so you want to have a harder verse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't want them to just straight or kill you. Yeah, And even if they do, and.
Speaker 2: If they go platinum, you're like, I'm happy for.
Speaker 1: You, Like even if you did kill me on that one, Like, I'm still happy for you. But on the next one, the next one, try to But I would never want to not do a song with you. I would never want to in any in any way want you to fail or put you down. Like if I have the chance to alter your career, I would only do it to alter it for the better. I would never try to sabotage or talk down on any of the other comedians out here who are really doing some work, you know, And yeah, for.
Speaker 2: Sure for you, Like obviously stand up is you know, keep leveling up, doing bigger venues, doing more tickets. You talked about the pot cast. I think that, like back in the day, the next like thing would be let me be on TV, let me do a movie, let me write a tvcre Obviously that's kind of not necessarily been the barometer of what makes someone successful in comedy anymore. But do you have any other goals outside of you know, what you're doing or the podcast launching?
Speaker 1: Man, I would like to write like a show or a movie. I don't think that type of writing is my strong suit, right, But for the last like year and a half, I've been trying to just try it, like just ideas ideas when I have time.
Speaker 2: I'm like, let me like, if you have a premise for a TV show. Okay, if I got the premise, now what like, now, like, how do I write a pilot? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So yeah, But but I love stand ups so much, I'm like like obsessed with it, Like this is what I eat, sleep, shit, breathe, Like uh so, I'm I'm never in my head with too many goals before I was but but they were just stand up goals. Before it was like all right, I want I want to get on the Tonight Show, I want to get on Comedy Central, I want to do this festival. It was all like stand up related goals. And my only plan of attack was like, well, you know, hone, my stand up be on stage, write more jokes, be on stage, like just riding beyond stage. Like and I think now that I've knocked out a lot of the bigger goals like doo moon tower, Dude, I did the Tonight Show, I got a special. Now my goals are just like just keep doing stand up, Like, just keep doing stand up, man. I like hearing the stories about how like back in the day the ancient samurai used to make their swords, how that it'd be like fucking hardest hell and they're just pounding the steel and all that, and I feel like that's all stand up is. Every joke is like another sword, like you just work.
Speaker 2: Out that joke.
Speaker 1: So I feel like that that's that's always going to be my number one and.
Speaker 2: The goal it's just keep one of the goats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if it happens, it happens. But no matter what, man, I'm always it's like basketball, whether I make it to NBA or not, Like I'm always enjoying balling a hoop.
Speaker 2: Yo is the hardest thing, because man, there's something about doing stand up that to me is so frightening. And that is just like I can only imagine like when you first started, was doing your first open mic or just getting on that stage and like trying some shit not knowing if it was gonna work. Was that Like how scary is that? Like when you first decide I'm gonna go and do a minute or two minutes or because to me, like, man, that I can't think of nothing scarier. Because me and my boy James always talk about like, yeah, we should go do an open mic because I got jokes ideas, and shit, I'm like, man, fuck that dog, Like that shit sounds frightening.
Speaker 1: I just stopped thinking about it because I signed up for a few open mics and they didn't show up because you over thought it, over thought it, and then one night the sign of was like at five pm once when the list went out for you to sign up the open mic, the show actually started at seven pm. And there's like every comic in the city of Dallas was at that mic, which was like one hundred fucking comedians, and you know, it's like anything else, you start at the bottom. Nobody knows who you are, nothing.
Speaker 2: So did you get last your first time?
Speaker 1: No, Bro, I went up like at one in the morning, one thirty, and it was just me, the host of the mic, one of my buddies who had went with me, who was just knocked out.
Speaker 2: He was just asleep.
Speaker 1: And then and then like two other open micers who were on after me. They were the last two.
Speaker 2: You were just telling jokes for other open micers at that point, Bro.
Speaker 1: They were yelling at me. They were like they were they were ready to go home too. They were drunk.
Speaker 2: They the fuck up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were like, shut the fuck up, Bro, get the funk off already. And so I was supposed to three minutes. I did like a minute and a half, and I was like at my time, and I just like walked out, like just puss it out, like oh so afraid I might even finish it. Yeah, I just walked out And I remember not even being nervous. I was like, I feel good.
Speaker 2: Was like ribbing a band aid off that first time, like, all right, I got on stage now, and.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe I just remember not being nervous at all, and then I and then I got on the stage and the lights hit me and all the nerves just flooded me and I almost blanked out, and then I just started talking and I just it was funny at all. I didn't go back for like weeks, and I was just like, bro, why did I think I could do that? It's not for me. But it was like an obsession, like I just kept thinking about, like, well, maybe if I would have said this different, Maybe if I would have said that different, and I'd be at work just thinking of like a joke that I could And then eventually, like it might have been more than a month before the next time I went up actually, and then I went up and it went bad, but like a little less bad, and again I was just like, this is not for me, and like months would go by, and then I did it again, and then it went like less bad again.
Speaker 2: And got better and better. Yeah, yeah, were you selling the same joke each time?
Speaker 1: Nah? No, no, no, I would yeah, I would try to work something now until finally, I uh, the first time I got like laughs, like actual laughs. At that time, it felt like the whole room just gave me an applause break. But when I listened to the recording like a year later, it was just like chuckles. But if it was the first time getting chuckles, I was like, oh shit, what.
Speaker 2: Was the joke the premise at least, uh, I talked about.
Speaker 1: The first time I ever got laught was actually kind of crowd work. I went on stage because there's this one open mic I did. It was kind of like an uppity part of Dallas, and it was like an all white crowd and very like polos and slacks and stuff, and I just I was really scared. I didn't think it would be funny to say that I was really scared. And I walked on stage and this dude was just staring at me, like because he's supposed to write, but.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, you're he's right there, He's right there.
Speaker 1: And I was like yo, Like he called the cops on me and they just laughed, and I was like, oh shit.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 1: The first actual joke I told, though, was at that time I was working construction and it was like electrical, like industrial electricity, and I talked about working with my uncle, and it was something like like like things my uncle said that at work were things that no electrician or uncle should ever say. It's like I think this is where the red water goes. I think lock lock the door, pull your pants down, like shit like that, and uh so it would like sometimes get a last sometimes people should be like oh, like but that was like my first like good enough joke, like it worked, and so they would give me three minutes on stage. I would do like two minutes of like chuckles, and then my last minute I would just bomb and like yeah, but yeah, those were the first cup laughs I ever got.
Speaker 2: Who's been like some of the big homies for you in the comedy space that have I kind of like, you know, giving you advice, put you, put the arm around you, kind of embraced you early.
Speaker 1: And man, there's a lot. That's why I never understand why people are like like I've made it on my own or like I don't know how other industries are, but in comedy, like every comic is only there because of a million other comics who kind of helped you here and there, like Dusty Slay, Dan Soder, Matthew Bissard, Felipe As Sparza, Jerry Garcia, Angela Johnson like it's just like a few Taylor Williamson like, there's so many comics who would give me words of advice, would take me on road gigs, like putting a good word for me here and there. Like there's just there's there's just so many comics.
Speaker 2: Have you ever dealt with anybody stealing any of your jokes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of times, but I don't think they were that great of a joke.
Speaker 2: You have that one, bro, Yeah, it was like fuck it.
Speaker 1: And one thing that uh my buddy Wes told me like a long time ago, it was the first time I ever worked with like comics from out of town. I don't remember where they were from. I was I was like eight months into comedy and it was me and my buddy West and there was like these two other people from I forgot where. And I remember thinking, like, hey, what if we did jokes tonight and these guys go back to their time they do our jokes, you know. And he was just like, then they stole our jokes, like fuck it. And He's like, but if somebody has to steal jokes, they probably suck ass that comedy anyway. He's like, and they'll they'll eventually burn out, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: They don't. They don't have a bright future if they're stealing jokes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like, but if you wrote a good joke we're stealing, you probably got the ability to write another one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's more where that came from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so fuck it, you know what I mean? They stole your crops, grow more vegetables.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see, you got all the Simpsons stats. You got Krusty at Homer. Yeah? Do you still like, are you like like Simpson's like fucking season fucking at this point? They do? Used to watch Simpsons? Nah? Not really? Yeah. Uh they took away fucking aboo.
Speaker 1: And yeah rich in peace to our pool man.
Speaker 2: Yeah they got rid of him.
Speaker 1: Bro, it's crazy, but yeah, I like I like Simpsons, like Futurama, I like animated shit.
Speaker 2: Would you put Simpsons over like as like above, Family Guy in South Park?
Speaker 1: Mmm, that's tough man.
Speaker 2: Boon Dogs is up there too.
Speaker 1: Boon Dogs is up there too. But I think as far as like all right, family Guy in Simpsons, I don't know, man, it's close like watching two different comedians though.
Speaker 2: For sure, but it's very close, like in terms of like how iconic. I mean, obviously, the Simpsons are the most iconic animated television show ever, but like Family Guy kind of pushed, Like Family Guy was so fired that they had to bring it back after it got canceled because the DVDs dropped and everybody watched it. I don't know if I don't know how old you are, but what happened was the Family Guy got canceled, and then the DVD boxes came out and everybody got the DVDs and them ships were booming, and then they had to bring it back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had, I had, I had got some of those DVDs. I was I was like too young to be having those DVDs.
Speaker 2: Family Got was heat, but it just pushed the limit more than than Simpsons in a way that like South Park always pushed the limit. But I feel like Family Guy was like the Simpsons, but like hella aggressive.
Speaker 1: Simpsons is like nineties Bulls though.
Speaker 2: Man, yeah for sure, Simpsons, like it's like for sure, yeah, they are like the nineties Bulls for sure, and then Family Guys like they're fucking shocking Kobe Lakers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like I still I still love both of them. There's days where I get home and I'm like, I just put on some.
Speaker 2: Old Simpson is the best because you can just pick any fucking like of the first like twenty years just throwing like yeah, like a shuffle or something.
Speaker 1: For some days, I'm in family guy mood and I'm like this is you know what I mean, But I feel like it's just like watching I don't know many Chris Rockers. Mitch Hebburgh, you know what I mean, very different, very different, very different, both very funny.
Speaker 2: Very Yeah, for sure, Mitch hedberg RESSI piece one of the great pieces. His delivery was crazy. Your delivery is so dry, which is why I buck with you, bro, because you're like, shit is so like like I like that kind the ship, like the way you deliver your jokes. It's so I just I just I appreciate it. I've always enjoyed like kind of like dry.
Speaker 1: I never understood what my humor was until I started reading comments. But I never was in my head like I needed like if I just say dry or if I just like people will be like, Bro, he's so mellow. I was like I am, and but I think in my head I'm just so like focused on like just say this and then say that, and then I think it'll work. But I never pictured or thought about like what I sound like, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: No, And then you don't think about it until you fucking look at the feedback and yeah, maybe I do do that.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like running for a touchdown. You're not thinking about how you look when you're running. You just like just getting the in zone. And then you watch the video and you're like, damn, I run like a duck.
Speaker 2: Like are you you grew up a Cowboys fan? Oh?
Speaker 1: No, not really. I mean I'm a Cowboys fan by default. It's my shitty like I mean, Luca and the MAVs are the finals. MAVs. Yeah, I'm a mass fan for sure.
Speaker 2: You guys got the fucking greatest Caucasian ever live on the MAVs bro, all time white already Bro.
Speaker 1: And then we got Kyrie. I'm was always a big Kyrie.
Speaker 2: Kyrie is one of my favorite players ever. I'm a big Lebron fan, so watching him on the Caves was just I mean.
Speaker 1: It's been so My main like problem over the last like year has been trying to find a Kyrie jersey that fits, like, like I don't like ordering shit online. So every time I try.
Speaker 2: To go to a store, they don't have smaller media.
Speaker 1: They don't have like the medium, or they don't have the Kyrie jersey. I got a lucal one, but I'm like obsessed, And every time I go to the store and there's no Kyrie jersey, I'm like more obsessed with getting in there.
Speaker 2: Well, now they gotta have them. Now they're in the finals.
Speaker 1: Now they're sold out for sure everywhere.
Speaker 2: For sure. Yeah, Kyrie, I hope he fucking because the facts he played for the Celtics and that shit went the way it went. I'm rooted for the Mavericks.
Speaker 1: Bro, of course I am too. And you know what's crazy, though, is I'm actually a little bit of a Celtics fan too. Like when I wasn't watching the MAVs game, I don't watched like the Celtics. You know, when I was a kid, I started liking the Celtics back when they had like Rondo Kevin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good team.
Speaker 1: So this is gonna be bad ass games Man.
Speaker 2: Dallas gotta be on five, bro, they fucking win because you guys won the fucking you guys beat my Diamondbacks in the fucking World Series last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was, you know, my first live MAVs game ever. Was was the game when the Rangers won the World Series. The Maps were playing the same night. That was my first time going to.
Speaker 2: A the MAVs game that night, and then so the arena probably went crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they they played the game. The MAVs game was over and they played the rest of the Rangers game on like the big Jumbo tron.
Speaker 2: And everyone just hung out and yeah, have you have you had any interactions with any of the MAVs guys or like ever ran into like Mark Cuban somewhere or something.
Speaker 1: That that game. I got to sit court side.
Speaker 2: I had one side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had like this little deal with the MAVs where like like I would make like content video like yo, this is what my experience was at the mass game. Uh. One of my my media manager pulled that off for me man and Mark Cuban was there and I was gonna shake his hand, but there's so many people yelling and like talking to this dude, and he's just like so I was like, all right, you know, I don't want to bug that dude.
Speaker 2: I got to sit court side at a son's game two seasons ago, and I was like, this is a dream come true. Like I'm sitting on the on the floor of a son's game, like the players are right there. I was like, damn, Like I didn't pay for the tickets, but it was like, man, when I was a little kid, all I ever wanted to do was sit course.
Speaker 1: You know what, you know what it felt like it is because I'm sitting there and then I'm having flashbacks to just sitting on the side of a court at the park watching like the big kids.
Speaker 2: You hear everything, Yeah, Like, motherfucker, James Harden's like inbounding the ball. He's on the Sisters at the time your sons are playing the Sixers, like inbounding the ball, talking shit to Chris Paul like like inches from me. I'm like, bro, this is crazy. You hear these fools talk shit to the reps like like you hear it.
Speaker 1: All, bro. I like when I like when I'm watching the game on TV and I can tell like when there's like a close up on Luca or something like I think it was a game, man, it was a game two. It was like Game two or three of the MAVs versus Minnesota, and Luca made it made a he made a basket and then he said it looked like he said go home, bitch. And then later on on Instagram they show what he said that and I was like, hey, he did say that. I like when I can lip read the trash to and get it fucking that ship, that's gotta be so annoying.
Speaker 2: He hit that shot and he was he yelled at Rudy Gobert. I was like, and then everyone tried to speculate what he said. He's like, I didn't say anything. I was talking to him in whatever fucking language. But but then he was like saying, I think he was saying go home, bitch or something. Proud right, Yeah, he was the crowd. This fucking dude is sick ass bro. That feels amazing. Man, shout out to Luca. Man. All right, So for people who don't know man, how can they support you? Obviously you got your tour, You've got a lot of tour stuff going on.
Speaker 1: For anybody who doesn't know me, merch wants to come out to the show. Follow me on Instagram at Ralph Barbosa zero three. We started selling merch at shows, but I never was consistent with merch. You gotta drop that merch man, I got, I got it now, but I need to I need to like work on like a little online store too. But right now we just sell them at the shows, shirts, stickers, working on other stuff, right But yeah, now I got like a little bit of a of a team rolling with me, so they kind of helped me out. My buddy Hymen's over there helps me stay on top of ship. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Are you doing anything else in the hip hop space? Obviously you did some skits on Mexicano T's Don't Start Luci album, which were great.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say too much because then if things don't work out, then they'd be like, we're happy with that. But nah, I'm you know, I'm a big hip hop fan. I'm just I'm just happy to be around for whatever I can be around, Listen to whatever's coming down.
Speaker 2: What's you're fucking like? Give me like your top like who's your top five? And give me like your top three albums?
Speaker 1: Ever my number one all out like greatest album of all time to me is UGK is right? And Dirty Fire my top five and because it doesn't really fall to like.
Speaker 2: Did write and Dirty that's someone with Murderer.
Speaker 1: And Murder, Pinky Pinky Ring Ring and all the life, Oh my Diamonds and wood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is like a between pimps and Bumbee steal pc bitch, So what the fuck is up? Dog?
Speaker 1: But yeah, my top five doesn't really fall to like five single rappers though, it's more like the groups like just Yeah. My top three is UGK three six, Mafia and out Cast, and then after that it's hard to choose the last two because like, I love Chief Keef, I love Gucci Man, I love jay Z. A lot of people in Texas eight on jay Z, but I love jay Z and I don't know I.
Speaker 2: Don't cast my favorite group of Yeah, yeah, I got right there to fucking I wish Andre. Did you see the video of Andred three thousand playing the flute at that festival? Dog? That ship was? It was rough because he wasn't playing like, uh, imagine there's this giant festival.
Speaker 1: Of people and like some Zelda music just popping, no bro like.
Speaker 2: And he pulls out a flute and it ain't like he's like playing the flute like that's like one of them big ass flutes, or he's got a band behind him, like it's like a flute that's like this like this straw and he's just hitting there and everyone's and it's just dead ass quiet, and everyone's just like and it's like, man, it's I mean, it's andre three thousand dogs. So it's like, shit, fucking his flute album is a great album to get him a too, he said.
Speaker 1: He said something on this one interview I think where he was like he's like, well, man, I'm older now, like like I'm not even rapping.
Speaker 2: No more about that ship. Like he's like, what am I supposed to talk about it being older? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, I don't know, Like I'm not a big flute guy, but I'm like, fuck it, I respect you doing whatever.
Speaker 2: He just dropped the fucking song did you see them song?
Speaker 1: No, I haven't. I haven't heard it when I was when I was very, very small, Like that was one of the first big rappers that I was like really into made. What's that one song? Just lose It? Yeah? I like that song.
Speaker 2: It's very just losing song. Yeah, he shot like he's almost like he just READID an old video to be honest, but you know, shout to eminem Man, I gotta check that out. Appreciate you man for pulling up. Of course, go follow hommie Ralph. Keep keep leveling up. Man. It's good to see you your journey and you're fucking hilarious. Bro, and appreciate him. I'm excited for whatever you got coming next. Bro.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah man, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yes Dark