Speaker 1: What's up? And welcome back to another episode of No Sealer's podcast with your host. Now, fuck that with your low glasses, Malone. He don't just crazy work. We're on now right live and in effect.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't see anything, stretch trip me out.
Speaker 1: No, So what I'm gonna do because like I told you, I need to move. Yeah, put that monitor right there for the big comments. That's the plan.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: I just gotta find the right vertical monitor because that uh right vertical monitor for.
Speaker 2: The U.
Speaker 1: So it fits these pictures. Because then what I'm gonna do is, so I'm gonna I got a Tupoc that I'm gonna put right there on there pot picture that looks like these. Shout out to everybody that's at the lunch table. That's what this looked like behind me. But I got to another one that's Tupac that the honey did me. That's Tupac like that. And I'm gonna put the doctor dray one right there on the other side of the door. Everything else see Kate out the only young person up there.
Speaker 3: Indeed, like two ton Common or something like that. There yep, So it's iced tea.
Speaker 1: On the walls Kate out on the wall, Kendrick Lamar on the wall, Easye on the wall, dog Snoop Dogg on the wall, there Pussle on the wall when near Puszle, a young boy Cube on the wall, and Dre on the wall. And then I got the other one with pop pockers for my monitor. Have I ever told you the story of how I met doctor Dre Mm hmm. So it all worked together. It's just crazy. So when I first started rapping, I might have been into rapping and righting righting for like two years. I mean, I had just started rapping at this point. I'm a four fledged gag member, full fledged dope dealer, just just getting in trouble.
Speaker 3: Had you put anything out yet at that point or pre pre release?
Speaker 1: So I had put out like three songs, okay, Like we did this song me Kay and my brother Pool. We did this song called Gangster Shit. We did like three songs. We had this one song called Beg Niggas Make the World Go Around And that was like a big song in the area, like the Mona Parks. The Honey Fromona Park was playing it, themy from PJ Wisse was playing it. He was playing it certain people. So that was like we do. I probably had only recorded about twenty five songs total, but my older brother shout out to pool Pool and Doctor Poole's girl and Doctor Dre's sister, Shamika were like best friends. So he hits me one day we at the studio and he said, hey, man, you want to meet doctor Dre. And I'm like, yeah, that'ta be cool. So he's like, all right, We're gonna go hang out with them for New Years. So this two thousand and two going into two thousand and three, this New Year's Eve. That's a big year, right, So we go to this house in Calabasa's really nice house, you know what I'm saying. Really nice house. Doctor Dre's mom is cooking. This lady's a fantastic cook. She like she made soul food, chillings and all that. I was eating everything in the world, right, and she all her food was good. So this is about it. Get about ten thirty, ten forty five, I'm eating my food whatever. Doctor Dre walks in and grab me on my shoulder. Oh show with y'all. I see it's Dre, you know, And again like I didn't grow up my mom is the huge music fan.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: My mom is like every Tuesday when records would come out, she's buying them, gotcha. Like my mom used to buy so many, so much music, bro. Like, she had to start going to the one Stop to buy all the music to get a better deal. The one stops is where all the independent record stores was buying all of the music. So she bought so much music, like my mom when the fares took her, when the fest took our house when I was a you know kid, they said her they estimated her music collection to be like five or ten thousand dollars back then. Yeah, so like she had final CDs. She had so much music, man Like, So I never had to have music on my own. I didn't start buying. The first CD I bought on my own was dog Food and I was probably like fifteen. I mean that's how much music. Like, I heard so much music growing up, Bro, I didn't even want to hear music when I wasn't with my mom because when I went home after school, that shit played all through the house. And my mom had a sound system in the eighties, bro, Like a sound system, so the whole goddamn house. You just hear music. You know what I mean. I know Cameo albums by heart, I know street songs, Rick James by heart. I know so much music by heart that I was almost sick of music. I just would hear music all of goddamn time. So I say that to say I didn't really have a look towards rappers in any special life because I wasn't into trying to be a rapper, nor was I tripping off music. I heard so much music. So Drake comes grabbing my shoulder. What up, man, you know, welcome to the house, da da. So we chopping it up. He getting this food eating, we laughing at, joking, and he asking me questions, and I'm like, y'all, I'm seven Street watchd y'all sell PCP. I'm talking to doctor Drake like we know each other, and I'm just telling Cuz like, yeah, this is what it is, raped out auta. So he like this nigga is wild. So we ain't even talk about no rap shit. I'm just talking to Cuz like a nigga off the streets. And He'll be the first person to tell you that's how I talk to Cuz, like like he just like he just nigga drake from counting, So cuz is like we eating a full bush and so forth, so on. So later on, like as it gets closer to New Year's I'm like, hey, man, like, man, you should give me a beat cuz like I want to rap on one of your beats. So he started laughing. Now this is No Siblings Live to Lunch Hour every Monday, Wednesday and Friday noon Pacific Standard time. Feel me right here on Digital soul Box. Click them thumbs up. Shout out to everybody at the lunch table. Squishy Fats, Joey, west Side Teeth, what's the deal? Kboy, what's up? Andre Montaga, Smizzy, what's hadding it? Lex, what's the deal. It's all craze, what's up? So shout out to everybody the lunch table. We do the stream and support the No Sellans podcast. It's in the description below right there in the description, we just dropped the fresh episode. We dropping a fresh one tomorrow. We're dropping the fresh one tomorrow, but this one is below. You can go listen to it right now on Apple podcasts, Ieheart Podcasts, anywhere you get your podcasts. The No Sealans podcast executive produced by Charlottagne and God the Black Effect Network in iHeart back to the point. So I'm talking to cousin. I say, hey, man, give me your beat. Let me wrap on one of your beats. He just start laughing, cuz out loud. Now at that time, cause I didn't know why he was laughing. I almost took offense to it. You know what I'm saying. I'm like, cull, you make beats, I rap cut like this simple It's a simple connection, you know what I mean. Like, mind you, this motherfucker probably getting a quarter million dollars a beat at this point. But I'm so fucking street and ignorant that i have no motherfucking idea. Cause like so, I'm like, yeah, give me a beat, cut a rap on it. He cry and laughing, like you want to beat him? Like yeah, cause just give me. I'm a rap on it. Come he gonna put that motherfucker out. And I'm not asking doctor Dre for a record contract. I'm not asking Doctor Dre for shit, but a beat. Let me wrap on one of your beats. Cauz And I'm cousining like so, Cousin's laughing. He like wild, he said, he look, he said he said, cause he said, look, gee, I give you a beat. Just bring me a record. That's all you gotta do. Bring me a record. I'm like, all right, cull y'all make some songs. I don't know what a record is, because again, these industry like niggas that be an industry. Forgive me for a lack of better terms. I'm not gonna call cousin industry nigga, but niggas who are in the industry have these terminology, these words that you hear all the time, like a record. So you think that's a fucking song, right, you think that's a song. And so he's like, yeah, just bring me a record, glasses, and I give you a beat. So I'm like, all right, cuz I'm gonna make some songs. Gim me.
Speaker 2: I got you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get with you, Cousin. I'm telling Doctor Dre I'm gonna get with him. I'm gonna get with you cause I'm a press player on you. Cause you know what I mean, we in the game. It's good money. I didn't ask Cause for his number or nothing. Yeah, I just knew he was gonna look for me. This is how ignorant could you be? When you come from the corner with this shit. You know what I'm saying, Like you be hella sure like And I always been sure of myself entirely, too sure of myself. So I remember that, guse. So we politics some more that night. We bullshit out ou out out and it was a It was a dope relationship, same relationship I enjoyed because of that. He he can't he I know, he hate how Street. I am like that shit bothers him, you know what I mean? Because you know, this nigga sixty sixty one years old, so he grown and I'm still like, I'm a forty five year old man, but I'm still got that same energy that I had when he first met this twenty two, twenty three year old kid.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So Cub was like, okay, cool, I'm gonna get with you. So I go to the studio. I tell my nigga Guido, I say, Gueto, we gotta make you songs. This nigga drake want me to bring him a record now. Shout out to Guido. Gary Ellis, who executive produced my first CD right which is called White Lightning. This is the twentieth anniversary this year. It came out this month twenty years ago. Damn right, So it's submitted. It's my first joint, and so I go to him. Now, mind you cuz Guido has been engineering the best shit like he has mixed. He mixed Diddy Diddy is a top twenty record. Do that Diddy Diddy if you want to, because then I can see. So he mixed this. He's co producing songs with rhythm d like. He was already in the business, and he's a DJ. He went by DJ g l E, right, So Gary Wuedo aka DJ g l E. He's the one that understood records. I didn't have no fucking idea. I just thought the record was a song. So we start knocking songs out, right, we probably get about eight songs done, right, eight songs done? So now mind these eight songs become the premise of White Lightning. The title White Lightning is White Lightning because I had this really popular PCP sharn like drugs. People use it to make dust, they pour it over meat, Mitley just it's a liquid. It's a chemical combine. And the prepareddine that you used, one of the chemicals was clear instead of yellow, so it turned a whole mix clear, so instead of it being yellow like normal sherm aka PCP, this shit was clear. But it was so powerful. It was so powerful like you couldn't get past the second hit. It would make you be stuck, like you hit it twice and the second time you just couldn't even move.
Speaker 3: It would be like the same branding as like in the Denzel Washington movie Blue Magic.
Speaker 1: There You Go, There You Go, And it was like this hella powerful PCP. But I caught it White Lightning to sell it, and it made it seem like it was on purpose. Right, So I named my first CD because I knew all the street people who would want to buy my CD would know this is glasses. Gotcha, this is glasses right. That's how I named the first CD white Lightning. And it was a popular shrim in the street. Everybody was talking about it. So here go is the next evolution of White Lightning. It's the music fast forward. So so I'm working on seven Day songs that end up becoming the foundation of White Lightning. This is before I met Game and was rocking with Black Wall Street. So dra calls my older brother back. Doctor Drake calls my older brother back, Hey, you bet, bring glasses to my Fourth of July party. You know, I'm having at my house in Malibu. Shout out to everybody lost the house in Malibu because it looked his house is on the beach too, so he could have lost his too.
Speaker 3: But he is a long time. That is the longest city I have ever seen. It is long too, right, So fast forward, hopefully it's on the other side.
Speaker 1: Facts facts, So fast forward, right, Yeah, what's that? Doctor Drake tells my older brother, Hey, man, bring glasses to my beach party. I'm having it at my house in Malibu. He said, okay, so he called me, he said, hey, g man, Dre called me. He more excited. I'm more thanking this. You're supposed to call me. I'm glass look like you know what I mean, like I wrap you make beach you know. Still like this is this is naive. I'm gonna send this to doctor Dres so he can listen to this dream too, because he gonna be like this fucker was crazy. So low story shut him like okay, yeah, he hit you. When he wants to come or he wants to come to his Fourth of July, he just texts me his house to his address to his house Malleible. It's on the beach. I said, okay, cool, So we get the songs together. Fourth of July two thousand and three. Rewind back to the New Year's Eve party seven months before that. We're talking about fifty cent and I'm like, man, how big is this fifty cent shit gonna be? Like man, it's gonna be the biggest shit in the world. I'm like, how you know, He's like a man. Watch. So fast forward seven months after that. This is this is two thousand and three, July fourth, So fifty came out. He's the biggest ship in the world. So I remember at the thing, he's DJing the party, Dre DJ and his own party. He's in love with the Inspected Deck album that comes out at this time. It's a really kind of West Coast Sam got a good rhythm, but he was playing it over and up. He just loved this Deck album. Oh man, he was in love with this Inspected Deck Altum. You could not tell this man nothing about that Inspected Deck album, right, And he's at the DJ playing it for all the It's an old white lady trying to talk to me. She had to be about forty She's laying across the top of the couch like a cat in my ear, and I'm like, man, this is fine.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 1: I'm just a full fledged crip and adult dealer, so it feel weird to have white people talking to me. There ain't no white people living component watch like that. So it's white people at this party. It is brothers and sisters too, but it's a lot of white people.
Speaker 3: He's kind of funny that, like doctor Dre has such an ear for being able to locate and create songs, artists, whatever, that just become just obscenely huge, huge, bigger than things are supposed to even become. Sure, and the thing he wants to listen to himself and his own taste is a very niche album. It was very local, and it's acclaim and kind of the opposite of what his model result tends to usually be. That's that's that's kind of a very subtle in general, I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Say, I don't know, because good music is gonna be good music, whether it's from the from the past, or whether it's right now, you're gonna, we're gonna you're gonna recognize when it's great.
Speaker 2: But he just pop up.
Speaker 1: Okay, So but he's he's in love with disinspected deckout. I mean, he going crazy off this deckout and cutting right. So we chopping it up, we bush it and you know, I'm laughing joking still, you know, crip cut Drake cud. It ain't hit me who Doctor Dre is yet. That don't really hit me. Into twenty thirteen when I our study in hip hop right shout out to shot Teeth. Controlled Substance was the name of the album. Must let everybody at the lunch table doing their thing, just let me get through story time, and we're gonna get to this conversation. So because this is part of the conversation. This is why the conversation is happening right, So fast forward. Because so I'm at this Doctor d party Cuz DJ in and Cuz is nice like he not no pump like cubs getting busy. This ain't no joke. He not like you know, none of these niggas who got DJ's in front of their name that don't. DJ Cuz is like for real, like he is nasty cause he got the party rocket. It's outside in the backyard, Cubs on the sand at the ocean in Malibu, so we having a good time outside of this white lady trying to talk to this to me kind of ignore, like annoying me, Like, lady, you are too old. I am way too I will hurt you, old lady, old white lady. This is not what you want. This gonna put you down, baby, This is not what you want. This is crib dig at this point. And I am a young animal. So before I get to the story about playing the music, something I remember because is this motherfucker doctor Dre has a barge. Because a ship pull a barge. A ship, not a boat. A fucking ship pull a barge into the ocean. Not that far because you can see it. But it's a ship with a barge. A barge is like a big flat bed for a ship. Open thing, pull it out. So Couz on his walkie talking, uh yep, all right, you guys ready, okay, all right, we're gonna time it. He's like, watch this, glasses, watch this. So I'm looking. He like five four three two one boom boom boom boom boom boom boom. Fucking fireworks is scoring the music, is scoring the fireworks at the same time. Now again, this is young watch crip glasses. I am not really tripping off of it. I'm like, yeah, come to fuck with the homy cup. Play this music, give me a beat, cud that. I'm finna do my thing. This motherfucker got a fireworks show and it scored with his music, and it's about ten twelve minutes.
Speaker 3: It's pretty much got the Bolagia Fountain set the fireworks.
Speaker 1: Now as an adult thinking about it, because I was like, holy shit.
Speaker 2: So you're cool.
Speaker 4: Your cool didn't come off when you've seen that shit, though, No, because that never your cool was still on, bro.
Speaker 1: My cool didn't come off with Doctor Dre until two pac Mon's Died came out and we was talking. That was the first time my cool. I ain't never not been cool with Doctor Dre. I always treated Dre like the timeter nigga who make beats. I was ignorant this fuck. I didn't know Cauz. I'm you know he make beats. Right, So fast forward cuz this is like some amazing shit. I ain't seen no shit. I didn't make me as of dollars at this point, I'd have been all around the world. I still ain't seen no shit like this. So now I'm thinking about it like that. That was crazy. So I end up we talking. I'm like, how did you know that fitty shit was gonna be big? He said, Man, this little bird told me. Talking about it, He's like, man, Eminem eminem knew it right, Like I did that for him and that shit blew up. It's like, damn, that's cool. So end of the party. We coming to the end, coming to the party, you know, cutn't end and shit. So he like, hey, glasses, look, old lady want me. This is his wife that he just you know, divorce recently, right, So he like, hey, my wife on my ass. Man, gee, I'm finna go in here.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Look, it's two things we could do, he said. I could play the music out love for everybody, or I could take the music with me feel me and I can call y'all. Let you know what I think. My brother is finna say pool is finna say all right? Just take it? I said, Oh, play for everybody's school. This it's out fucking crazy, I am. It's all kind of motherfucker's up in this party. That's music, execs and shit. And I'm just so sure this is real street urban culture. It make you have a false sense of security about who you are, and I mean it's false. Yeah, but I'm like, yeah, yeah, play for everybody. It's all good. So he's like, all right, cool, he laughing. This nigga's laughing at my er. It's the whole time. Don't God cut trap. He's laughing at my right because so he starts playing the music. You know, she's jamming it. It'd be like five or ten seconds when the music is playing, He's get to the next song. Oh that's not it.
Speaker 2: You were saying, that's not it.
Speaker 1: It's like five or ten seconds. Bro. He could hear it and be like, no, that's not it. So in my mind, I'm like, come with this nigga trying to play me, because like, what the fuck is up with this nigga? Now I get it. I understand how records work. I'm game like, I get it now, But at that time, I had no idea. So I'm like, that case, why do this nigga? He ain't heard the song because he ain't heard what I said. Skipping songs. He get to the fourth song. Mind you, it's only eight songs on this little thing. He get to the fourth song, four songs A song on White Light and they called all wrong. Got the traditional West Coast joint. He jamminy letting it play, so nigga stay oh he get about forty five, It's like, hey, that's cool, but that's not it. Fifth song, skip, six, gonna skip. So I'm like, oh shit, like I'm gonna have to go make eight more songs. This how crazy We're seven. So he gets to the seventh song. The seventh song, shout out to Saint Denson. Saint Denson did good time for Styles I Get High, And at that time there is no YouTube, so all your beats somebody had to make them where you had to buy it. I bought that beat for five thousand dollars. Mind you, that was a deal because Saint Dnson had good Time for Styles I Get High. This is a smash hit record. So the song comes on money Get You Some.
Speaker 2: You know exactly what sample you're talking about?
Speaker 1: Boom boom. He started rocking and ship and rap what you think all I'm grinding for what you think?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 1: I'm signing for money from the start of my life. The ship go off and he just like in it and he's just jamming and people have to part like hey, and he putting their hands up. He starts scratching like this it g this is it, and he clugged me. He was like, nigga, this is it. Nigga. He jammed, he started again money. He just keep playing it.
Speaker 3: You find it more than a coincidence that it was song number seven? Or is that purely a coincidence?
Speaker 1: Cuz said, yeah, so he's jamming this song. He grabbed me. He like, yeah, nigga, I'm proud of you.
Speaker 2: Nigga.
Speaker 1: This is it. Nigga. I'm like, where's my beat? But everybody in the party. He rocking a party this ship cause he gotta go and crave money, and people like, hey, they rapping this. I'm like, damn, that's cool. So he like, man, whatever you doing, you need to stop. He knew what I was doing. You stop doing what you're doing. This is what you should be doing. That's how I knew I would take raps serious. That's how I fucking knew. Well that makes sense, this fucking doctor drake. But again it made me be like and I didn't think of the magnitude because I didn't think he was gonna give me a deal. I just knew that and why if I could a press cuz it gotta be good. Gotta be good because it gotta be good if I can impress this dude. So I was like, okay, So I go back and Gary found out out the greedo he se. He was like, oh my god, like you impressed doctor Dre. I'm like, yep, cut, we just make the songs now. Long story, short cut. That's how I met That's how I knew I was gonna take this business serious. And that's how I met doctor Dre. Years and years to this day, we still fuck with each other to some degree. I always check on him, go see him. He's gonna give me ship about something whatever. But that's my man. One hundred grand you feed me out love, because he really was. He convinced me with one conversation how important like that I could do it.
Speaker 3: Do you have any idea? Like what's his house? Okay, I have to guess.
Speaker 2: Hold on, can I say? Can I say it? The call?
Speaker 4: Call you? You know when you called me called me a couple of weeks ago and told me that.
Speaker 1: No, no, don't say nothing yet. Keep that we need that, we need that. I'm gonna make him go say something about that, but that's how I started knowing. That's how so I knew I could do this. Now. The reason I tell his story is because one of my homeboys shout out to DJ Artistic. I don't think y'all really know. Artistic is like a pillar when it comes to West Coast hip hop. He's one of the most important DJs on the West Coast. He's an instrumental in my career. He gave me one of the first songs I ever had on radio. He produced it call Therapy Session. It's on White Lightning as well, and he just all around awesome guy. He did a dope thread and he was talking about hip hop, and he was talking about how the West Coast sound has changed from two thousand and three to now. So I call him we chopping it up, Say hey, man, man, it's a gold thing. But man, we got to the beginning of what we like to title Sounds of West Coast and we started talking about how funk came about and how everybody used it, so forth and so on. Where Drake changed when he pivoted you know, Dre dre initial face to me now that I'm aware, right, he was inspired by Mally Maul first, he was great ass rendition of Marlly Maul his own version. Mind you, he grew up in R and B, so he had a little bit more melody than Mal. But you could just hear the mall in his style, and I would bet money Mall is his initial inspiration. His second run, his greatest inspiration in my belief in hip hop was DJ Quick. DJ Quick when remember he's doing NWA at this time. N WA nationally is going crazy. N w A is going insane. And if y'all want to listen to White Lightning, it's on sounds on Spotify. Finally I got it up there. It's really dope. I'm going to do a concert in April for it to celebrate the twentieth release, where I perform only those songs. Check it out, but you can listen to it on Spotify. But again, fast forward. So the second one to me was inspired by Quick. NWA is going national. You know, they're a big conversation on the national scene. But when it came to the center of Compton late eighties, late eighties, eighty eight, eighty nine, ninety ninety one, DJ Quick owned every party in southern California.
Speaker 3: So in that scenario, he was Rick James to doctor JS or Doctor Dre's Michael.
Speaker 1: Jackson Jones's young Yeah for sure. So that to me like he saw the quick thing happening, not as conversation, not the biggest conversation such as NWA, which was a more prolific hip hop conversation across the whole landscape east to west. Right, This in Compton in southern California. This is the biggest thing in the world. Yes, Weitchie, I put it all together. It's sitting right there in that box is right here. So I got a Melock forgive me. I got you. You're gonna like, oh, I gave you seven CDs boom okay. So that was to me the second inspiration to where Doctor Dre was like, yeah, I know what I'm about to do. You know what I mean? And then here you get g than you get the Doctor Snoop Dogg album him doing you know, all of that stuff, And to me, the third version is where he really made his bones. Like everybody talks about his success as a Death Row producer, but him as an aftermath producer when he started to take the classical sounds that became you know, next episode and certain songs. That is the defining sound that people know Doctor dre for, you know what I mean, Like they go that piano. You know, every new producer West Coast type beat is that damn piano ping ping yo. They think it's still dr you know what I mean. So he had these really incredible runs. This album right here, in this level of production is Doctor Drake with his boys just being Doctor Drake. He's not really inspired by nothing.
Speaker 3: Wait, what is the album?
Speaker 1: The Marshall album. This is him making the elite level music, the most elicious music that he can make. Shout out to Fred Red, shout out to Shout out to them joint, Shout out to the homies that's over there doing the thing. But this is him making whatever he wants to make.
Speaker 3: It's kind a magnum opus kind of feel to it.
Speaker 1: It is it is, and it's really prolific to me. Like the songs like they can they can do a lot, you know what I mean, They can do a lot of stuff. But I also realized within this conversation why hip hop is so influenced by the young, by the youth. Yeah, and it go back to somebody's tell trap all the time. Hip hop is the movement of we not me. That's why DJ's right, who understand no different than the James Brown Band than the JB's right. They knew how people was moving. So when they were able to go in the studio, when they went to the studio to make music, right, when they went into the studio make music, they already knew how people wanted to move and how they were moving. The same thing goes to hip hop with the DJ. That's why the best producers in hip hop. Hip hop producers are DJs because they already have the pace of people happening in their minds. So doctor dre right, he used to DJ all the time. I just told you he DJed his own beach party in Malibule.
Speaker 3: I mean that is the exact same principle as like a comedian going and doing small comedy clubs all the time. You understand how to manipulate an audience, and if you can do it on a small scale intimately, you can do it on a large scale.
Speaker 1: Dig exactly. And that's the thing, right, And that's why DJs have always kicked the ass and hip hop battle cat quick. All these guys are DJ they kick ass because long as they're DJing, they're keeping a pace on where society is at. True hip hop again, is the movement of we, not the movement of me.
Speaker 3: And I think there's also like it's from a youth standpoint. Hip hop is a counterculture type of movement in the sense that it's uh rooted in a in a certain degree around pushback against the system.
Speaker 1: Well you do.
Speaker 4: God, I'm gonna say something about the hip hop thing ahead, no, because I heard I heard hip hop broken down before, and they broken down by saying hip hip is the hip is, the is the youth and what's cool, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And the hop is the movement. You know what I'm saying. That basically youth movement like.
Speaker 1: That though, and that's to catch right, because you're making music for the we mm hmm, you know what I mean. And the hip is about it's not necessarily young as much as we and we is are our most together when we're young. When we grow up and we get older. Right, when we grow up and we get older, we kind of get more into me and our families everything that's more me. But when you're young, it's just you and your boys doing whatever. Y'are doing in your neighborhood, in your section, with your city. But as you get older, you immediately start to age out of that and then guess what things start becoming more important My family, my kids, my wife, I mean, the me things. So I think that's where the ageism confusion is because I agree with trapp hip is for sure what's cool, and we decide what's cool.
Speaker 2: We.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the artist that's currently going through struggles can't gauge WE. There's a couple of artists going through struggles. There's a couple you know, there's a couple bloggers going through struggles. They can't each we. That's why it's like, we wouldn't do that. And if you start doing something outside of the WEI, you stop being cool.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: That's my point. Everybody hit that like button real quick, you feel me? Do me that solid? No sellers live lunch hour.
Speaker 4: To give a little pushback on it. Right, So I'm gonna say like this, right, at times you get at times you'll get an artist that feels like they they're not making music for the we, They're making music for them, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it be and at times when that happens.
Speaker 4: That's hit a miss though, like that, you know what I'm saying, So it'll be like I'm not making I'm not making the music to basically for everybody, for everybody, just like I'm making the music that I want to make.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. Like that, though, I mean, it is an art.
Speaker 1: So as long as you don't want to do the business, as long as you want to do like you might don't like beef, you feel me, that ain't your that it ain't your preferred protein. That don't mean you can sell everybody the burger you want to sell them. You can't. Everybody ain't eating jack fruit tacos. Boy, that just ain't gonna happen. I tell people all the time, make the music you want to make. Shout out to DJ Head whose birthday was yesterday. Shout out to my little bro happy.
Speaker 2: See that birthday.
Speaker 1: But we also understood if we want to make music the business, we have to be in the business of we. We have to be in the business of we. So I always tell John different people, shout out to all the whole community at ADHD you feel me. I always tell the homies like you gotta meet the people where they at and lead them from there.
Speaker 3: Yea, and people you can people can only like if what's cool is here in this circle as a mass, you can be a little cooler if you're still touching the mass, you know, you start to get a little too avan Guardio, too far away. You might be cool eventually, but then they have to come to you. Yeah, I could take a very long time. You can miss your moment.
Speaker 1: And I've been a victim of that a lot of different times. I've been a victim of that, right, being ahead of cool. So again, I've always expressed based off of my studies, my research when I started to care, when I didn't feel entitled to hip hop and I really wanted to get and understanding what this thing was about. I understood it was street urban culture personified through the arts or as the New York HOMEI say, the elements. That's the way you express the culture through these things. And once you express them and these these specific through these elements, is hip hop. Right, So again, being hip is cool. Cool is the approval of weed. You can't deny that, Like, that's what's we like. As I grow older, I stay with classic. I don't do nothing that's not I'm not trying to do too much trendy like, don't get me wrong, I'm watching the groove. The groove is the low end to me of music. Trap right, the eight a way to kick the baseline. I can't attention you to the groove. The melody state the same. Shout out to the homielex people who makes records. The melody state are same. The groove changes the groove. How people want to move changes, sure, that's important. How people want to move. They don't want to move the same way, they want to move a different way. And that's where you see the we in youth coming together. That is what validates the youth claim to hip hop. The ownership is because they're still experiencing we yeah, and I mean we with all kind of strangers. They go to a club and it's a bunch of strangers up in this party. When you get grown, most of the time time you don't go to that type of shit. You're not hanging around a bunch of strangers. As you get older, you don't want to go nowhere where they know damn parking, let alone somewhere where it's a room full of strangers. So every modern DJ people talk about hip hop struggling. You know why hip hop is struggling the most because the damn people, most of the damn people making beats are not DJs.
Speaker 3: And I think with that, like commercial arts, there's no room really to hear the phrase like educate your consumer. Sure, you know what I mean. You can't do that. It's not it's not like some new computer program where you have to educate you re sers. Eventually they'll learn to use this thing for their own benefit. In this they're just going to go somewhere else entirely to where they want to be. And that's all.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: You have to be more, You have to be rooted in touch with the consumer base.
Speaker 1: Shout out Squishy, She said, close parking because I'm not walking too far and it better be free. That's how you know, we get old. You start complaining. Yeah, you start complaining about shit like parking, the distance. And that's true because I'll be thinking to myself, like I feel like going through this, so I could feel certain ways that I could age out of hip hop. The only thing that works for me is always my street urban culture perspective has been justified. I logically understand why I'm thugging. It ain't just something I'm doing to be a part of WE, like we started it, but g gonna finish it. That's where I'm at with it. But it's a big thing that if you're not djaying the current movement of WE, right, if you're not DJing the current movement of WE, then you don't know how people want to move. You don't know and hip hop, for sure, as a party. The hot part is a party, right, So you have to gauge how people are moving. You might get lucky, but the consistency is when you can understand what's going on. Like Dre said something specifically in an interview and I checked out the interview. Now I think about how crazy I was talking to Drake. Now, I'm like, oh, this motherfucker is like some whole other world, next level shit. As far as you know what he does creatively in the space, he's out of this world. But he said something that messed me up. And he said nothing. He said, none of the hip hop is inspiring me today. I don't like that, man, I don't dislike it, But I also can understand how you could disconnect from WE if you don't see nothing and I was having this dope conversation. Shout out to artistic again, right, shout out to artistic again. I think that's what happened with Michael Jackson and bad See Thriller came out okay with Off the Wall. I can hear the Marvin Gay in it. I could tell Marvin Gagle was moving Mike. You could listen to Don't Stop Till You Get Enough and here got to give it up. It's the same song. So it didn't matter all of the pop music he was doing the disco ribs because he always kept at least a little soul in the music. Right on Thriller, when you listen to give it to Me back, excuse me, you listen to Thriller, you can hear give it to Me Baby. It's the same groove. The do Do Do Do the do Do Do Do Do Do Do. It's the first count, the d do the do Do Do Do Do Do Do. That's Thriller. That's the whole song, that's the whole groove. So why Rick was rocking a party, you know what I mean? He took the same groove and went in with the groove. And obviously Quincy Jones is such an animal as.
Speaker 5: A producer, Oh boy too without the dude naw team tempt Yeah, he's the writer of temperating like they understood the group and you can hear the haul of notes. I can't go for that in Billy Jean. So even though he had the pop records.
Speaker 1: The rerecors with Paul McCartney, blah blah whatever, right, he was anchored in enough soul to make it work when it came to bad. The biggest thing going on the urban scene in nineteen eighty six, eighty seven, eighty eight, you know pre pre pre uh.
Speaker 2: Pre about to say this again, about to say this shit again.
Speaker 1: I know we're about to see pre pre Keith sweat, you know, establishing what became New Jacks Wing with Teddy Ridley, the father of New Jackson Wing. The biggest thing was a group out of New York. They called themselves, or wanted to call themselves, the New York City Players, the Ohio Players. The regul label wouldn't go for that, so they changed their name to Cameo. And I think that's where Michael Jordan ignored the movement of we. I couldn't imagine what them dudes in Musicianshi because don't get me wrong, to us, Cameo is a superior band. They are you know again hindsight, you know you fifty years later Cameo looked like fucking up. Yeah, they look like fucking uh. What's them all white people name they used to be making that music back in the eighteen hundreds and early nineteen hundreds. Well, I'm talking about the crazy people, them crazy names and you know all them crazy symphonies and ship you know them dudes Beethoven like Betho, Like Cameo compared today's music sound like fucking Beethoven. But I couldn't imagine how he saw that at then to where he didn't embrace the movement of we in that urban space because Cameo was he back to the initial story with Olivia raising me with music. Me knowing Cameo Album by Heart Cameo was like nigga shit, Like, oh my god, you couldn't tell black people about Cameo. That's candy, that's single life, that's word up. They is popping it. Shout out to Larry Blackman and that whole thing, because that it is hella underrated. Yeah right, so Sparkle like they own the black ear they owned the black ear. When it came to that groovy space, they was running the groove. And when you're not bad, And when you listen to Bad, you don't hear that in Bad, you hear closer to pop. He did Ray Parker Jr. Right, he did take the Ghostbuster song and make Bad. You can hear the same total shout out to the La band, legendary band, Toto, you know Africa. You can hear that, and and and uh and uh the Liberian Girl. You can hear some things. But you didn't have that Rick James that you had in Thriller, or that Marvin Gay that you had in Off the Wall. You didn't have Cameo. And I think it's because he didn't see I don't know. I can't say nothing. I don't want to imagine why Mike didn't take something from Cameo and make it his at the next level. And that was like the ultimate time. So when I'm looking at with Dre or anybody else making music that is you know, definitely growing up in hip hop in the space. If they are not looking at the current landscape of how people are moving, you're doing yourself a disservice. If your goal is the weed. Now again, they goal could be something different. Them dudes probably getting their songs on FIFA. They probably made. They probably use this whole thing for the Olympic sounds. I don't know what deals d Dre and dog met them dudes. Probably they be playing this in Mars. I have no idea, but the connection to we and this is what I'm saying. Can you age out of hip hop when you stop paying attention to week or you stop putting respect on Week. That's how we could happen.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like allows approach to the force was his focus on the Wii.
Speaker 1: No Lell's attention to the force is classic. Okay, See, certain things are forever, like some parts of the culture go throughout. It don't matter what's happening that is permanent, Like we're gonna have a breakbeat hit, we have a boomback hit for sure, We're gonna have a boom back hit for the rest of our life. We gonna have you know, you gonna have Bruno Mars making some level of funk. You know it's gonna happen forever. Because some of these things are classic when done correctly. So like what LLL did and I respect it. He stayed classic. Yeah, he didn't push the envelope for popular music. He said, you know what, I'm not worried about what's popular. I'm going to do what's forever.
Speaker 3: He did the Dodge Challenger.
Speaker 1: Exactly, fucking right, fucking that's Dodgs mort stink Donys come back with the Challenger.
Speaker 2: That's a fact, Sam, It's a Camaro.
Speaker 1: Certain things about culture. We gonna always love a pair of Dickey's, gonna always be a pair of dickies. Yeah, it's gonna be polarizing. Some people like that nigga wearing dickies, But trust me, there are people around the world every day wearing Dickies, like Chucks, like all Stars. Classic can never go wrong with a fresh.
Speaker 2: Pair of Chucks, fresh pair of Ones.
Speaker 1: Same thing in New York. The ones so lll to me. Stayed classic. He didn't. He didn't try to gamble. He didn't gamble on where today's movement was. He gambled on where black people are at or where culture is at, infinitely.
Speaker 3: And he understood, like I thought, the brilliance of what Dodge did with the Challenge, understanding who Dodge is because they tried to be the Viper and it failed. They weren't gonna Dodge can't be the cyber truck. They could have made it or something like it, but their dodge. You can't come out and be that fucking energy with your Dodge. Eli can do.
Speaker 1: It because it's fucking enough, and he don't exactly. I agree. I agree.
Speaker 2: I hate that damn truck and people.
Speaker 1: Love it, but I get why, and that's cool, But that don't mean you go out and try to make the goddamn cybertruck. You don't have the brand to make that. Dude is on some ways, and I'm sure it's some something sometime that's in his design that we just don't know about. We ain't figured it out. That's like when you listen to for Real music, Forarrell could discuise for RELLI Elion the same creator. Yeah, Forrell will use some ship that feel like some shit you should know, and you swear to God that you'd be like, what the fuck is that? You can't even stare down? They ain't a same creator Elon and for Real, for Real is the Elion musk of hip hop.
Speaker 4: Now you know, I just found out the other day that that hot in here is fucking busting loose.
Speaker 1: And when you said it, I just caught it.
Speaker 2: You're right, it's crazy, straight, Wow, that shit is crazy.
Speaker 1: He's just nasty bro. He's like the Elon Musk of hip hop bro. And it's funny because when you really think about it, bro, Like even like when he first came out, we was talking about it, you know on ADHD, right, we were talking about it. Him embracing skater culture as another form of street urban culture. Not that he's a skater, he skated probably as a kid, everybody skating when he was a kid, but for him to understand that approach and a lot of people didn't know what he was doing with skateboard culture. He even called himself skateboard people, but they didn't look at him or understand that this was a culture he was representing. He looked like totally different than the normal scene. Sure, like for Real and Elon do the same thing. But for the most part, staying classic is obvious. And that's where I think LL and LL and LL and Q Tip got it correct. They stayed classic. That's like, if Juvenile comes out with an album right now produced by Manny Fresh.
Speaker 2: It's gonna work as long as.
Speaker 1: Manny Fresh, don't be trying to Matti Fresh can't be listening to too much. Like he gotta hear what mouse is doing or what the next generation is doing, but he gotta do it the Maddy Fresh way. Because as Greate as Quick was, he's one of the greatest, just an infinite, brilliant genius. What doctor Dre was able to do with the same thing, if that's his true inspiration, Like I believe look what he was able to do with the ship that shit went out of orbit. So he so for Dre if it mattered to him, or for anybody, if it mattered. And they were trying to make modern hip hop not classic modern hip hop. You have to find somebody in the current space that's inspiring you, or you gotta go out and play music and see how people moving. That's the bringing said hip hop. Hip hop is like the one thing that is not about music out of all the genres. Shout out to them New York Brothers. Man, they ain't got it right. They ain't got it right, and it's evolving because cool evolves. Right now in LA, the biggest groove is boom boom boom. That's it. Three hits if you listen to the biggest songs, they doing that same thing. Yeah, and again, it gotta be more of an information bridge between the masters of sonics, like a doctor Dre and a Fred Reck and a dim joints the masters of sonics with the rawness of culture. If hip hop wants to get back in the right space, So why do say the youth is integral in the space. That's hip hop? The art the elders is how you learn how to package this shit.
Speaker 3: They're like consultants that you bring in as an early upstart company to help you scale out. Yeah, you get a creative guy, he's the CEO. Enough money comes in, what do they do They boot that fucking guy. I'll give a fact check and bring somebody in who's an expert to take it to market. Yes, and Dre is the best at taking it to market that there has ever been. He might not be the most at the wheel, but always compare it to pitchers.
Speaker 1: There's very few producers or pictures back in pitch nine innings, I mean start to finish, make a top forty song. Yeah, that is tough. It ain't been a lot of human beings that could they can pitch nine innings, and especially in a championship situation. Nine innings, right, that's just not rare. It's a handful of guys, Teddy Riley, it's a handful of guys. Most producers are starting or closers. Doctor dra to me, doctor Drake can make a beat that he could pitch nine innings. I'm sure some of this shit he didn't pitch nine innings, but doctor dra is the best closer in the history of the music business. I mean that's like he'll take, yeah, he'll like Mariano Rivere, he'll take what you doing, that little six or five innings you could throw, and then he'll shut down the last four and you gotta win on your record.
Speaker 2: So that's that mean?
Speaker 1: Is that more?
Speaker 4: And so because of the because of the mix, because of the he'll add something to it or something like that.
Speaker 1: All of the above, d.
Speaker 4: D.
Speaker 1: All of the above, he's gonna add something, he gonna change his first off, the quality that he just has in his backpack and quality of sounds. Like Warren G. That was one of the greatest things Warren G told me. Warren G's like glasses. Most of the mixing starts in production, and I never heard that. This is why it's important to have them fucking elders like Warren and and and Dre and cat like. You know, that's why I asked them, and I know they get annoyed.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Hip hop does have this weird space to where people are retarded. It very much is the movement of we, right. The culture is the movement of we, but the business is the movement of them. And we all trying to make a dime or two. Bro that just come with the territory, were all trying to make some goddamn money. We ain't in this shit. We in the shit to express it, but we also in this motherfucker to make some money. So again, hip hop is the movement of the youth, but the business is the hip hop is the language of the youth, but the business is the is the movement of the wise, the elders, them, all them people who've been doing that business. That's why they have to work together every now and then. You could get some that work out, but you ain't finna keep You ain't finna win one hundred games and no baseball doing that. You eventually gonna have to plug in. And that's the brilliance of hip hop. That's the brilliance of hip hop. It is the like that's why Wu Tag is the greatest hip hop group of all time. It's nine niggas from a place that nobody else ever got on from. That's how powerful it is. Hip Hop's so powerful. And nine people broke State Ninland at once right out to Wu Tang nine. That's why I'm so polarized. That's why them motherfuckers could do the form the great the form where the Lakers playing eighties, that's almost twenty thousand people. They could do the Staple Center because it's nine of them.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, yeah, they're half the seats in the arena are just the acting management.
Speaker 1: So when people ask me, can you age out of hip hop? You can put yourself in a position to be on your own. But it's a choice to pay attention to what everybody's doing. It's a choice.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man.
Speaker 4: I think I mean, I understand it's saying completely though, but I think if you because what I'm getting from what you're saying is that it's like a fall of the leader type thing right there, Like what's working.
Speaker 2: I'm making sure you're not saying.
Speaker 1: No, no, right now there's no wonder.
Speaker 2: I don't like cookie Cutter ship though you know what I'm saying, I don't like the.
Speaker 1: But that that's not quite what I will do. Shout out to Lex. Hip hop will always be mine. I respect your point glasses, but no, I will never age out. I didn't say that. You didn't hear what I just said. Lex That Lex Lex, Yeah, that's Lex legs. You didn't hear what I said, Lex, I said, you can't. You can only check out. You can only decide that you have no more investments into weed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and at that point, you just.
Speaker 1: Walked out on your own. It's nothing to do with you growing up. You just decided that we don't matter anymore.
Speaker 3: So everybody's I mean, you're I'm sitting here, this is where I am. I'm in hip hop. Well everybody got up and went over there, but you stayed there. So guess what, You're not in it anymore. You're still right where you are.
Speaker 1: You could be over here and be looking at what they doing. This is the thing Premier couldn't ever do what with Cash Cobain does. Premier could never do what Cash Cobain does.
Speaker 2: But Timberland can't. But Timberland can.
Speaker 1: Well, but this is the thing Premier can make what Cash Cobain does a million times better.
Speaker 4: I don't agree, it's for sure. I don't agree it's for sure. You know I you know why Timberlin can make it and Premier can't make it. For Man per Mans cut from the from the mally cop break beats and samples. That's it right there. You know what I'm saying with Timberland. With Timberland is with Timberland's instruments, sounds and so.
Speaker 2: And so forth.
Speaker 1: It's crediting what Premier does in his knowledge in the space samples and break beats. It's way more nuanced in that.
Speaker 2: That's what he does too.
Speaker 1: No, he does his understanding. Trap you don't. You can't not the how. It's the how.
Speaker 3: Like say, it's like you're trying to scale out some new food you've invented. Some who who's like like a Wolfgang Puck's gonna come through because he can have a restaurant that's got five hundred locations and people will eat there based off of his the manner in which he cooks. And you're the hottest new Thai fusion guy in Hollywood, and you want to go from being you know, the coolest one spot niche restaurant to being big. He's gonna say, look, you need to add a little bit of cream here. We gotta we have to deviate you back to the median a little bit so that you're more consumable by the mass. So you gotta throw a little cream here. You gotta take a little bit of heat off of that, and you gotta put a little garlic there. And now the amount of people who are gonna have an appetite for your dish is gonna go from thirty thousand to five hundred thousand. That's kind of like what it seems like Premiere and Dre do.
Speaker 2: And they don't do that.
Speaker 1: You know, this is what I'm telling Trap. His understanding of sonics would take him to another level. And one thing you got to understand about Premier, he's on the heart and soul of New York's hip hop scene for thirty years. He's the core of it. He is the classic broll.
Speaker 4: He's not bro that from the outside looking at you'll like to say that right there be but we got you put him over with Pete Rock.
Speaker 1: I'm putting over. I'm not putting doctor DJ Quick. We're just using them as examples. They are all in their own lanes of what they do. It's not one of the the other. Pete hold Up. Pete is another supreme level of mastery when it comes to the heart and soul of New York Street urban culture. Same for Rizza, who I've told you off offline is probably the greatest in my mind. If we're not talking even about the boys from Brooklyn track Masters, I'm saying that. I'm saying the elder hold the wisdom of sonics in another way that young people don't have the wisdom to know consistently.
Speaker 4: See, I gotta keep a grand I gotta keep disagreeing with it because to the fact of you would have never, You'd have never for what Cash co Bain was able to do, you know what I'm saying. So that wasn't nothing, that wasn't the same, that was him. I like the youth, I like youth production, like I like the first off. I love I love old older production. I love I love Pete Rock, I love from Me all that because I like break break beats and samples like that. Right, But at the same time, though I respect the person when the instrumentation is.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: They able to use the instruments and bring out different different swings, different method and I'm saying different different different break and I'm saying different breaks and all that ship like that. You know what I'm saying. That comes from the youth with the challenge themselves and not trying to be like us. You know what I'm saying, Stop doing that. It's the reason you have kids.
Speaker 1: Don't sit up here and keep talking like your kids could be somebody without you. Your kids gonna go up to be who they is, but without your guidance, they be in troubled.
Speaker 4: Listen, what I understand what they're having kids is when I first had my kids, right, what I thought was like, Yo, I'm gonna I'm gonna mold my kid to be exactly the way I want them to be.
Speaker 1: It's not. That's not that's not the same. That's not what it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not mold them to what you want to be and what they want to be.
Speaker 2: It's impossible to motioned kids to the way you want them to be.
Speaker 1: That's not even we're not even talking about that. I'm telling you what Sheerley Dray knows about it. Okay, okay, are they still using snares in Kirk Cobain's beat.
Speaker 4: Not all the time now, all the time he uses like Kirk cop band beats. He uses fucking like like little fucking like little sounds and charms.
Speaker 3: On the whole. He's using a tom instead of a snare.
Speaker 2: Yo, bro, I'm telling you, brother man.
Speaker 1: Does he use a percussion high hats and stuff like that, any percussion any.
Speaker 2: Like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Premier knows more about percussions. His wisdom and information. It knows more about percussions than somebody who hasn't worked with percussions.
Speaker 4: Make a beat, yes, all right, so Permier makes a beat. He simples all his drums, samples, all his drum breaks. Sample is straight simple and he gotta he got a list of drum breaks he's using right there.
Speaker 1: In the studio, so you can see what he's doing.
Speaker 2: I seen what he did.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about. I'm talking about not just from inception to finish, when they mixing the breaks.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I got you, because.
Speaker 1: That's the same thing we're talking about.
Speaker 3: And this is one he means like when you say closers, it's it's refining what's already there. And and with these guys, they it's not what they did with that song was so great. It's they heard a thousand songs, they chose that song, and then they refined it that song, discarding all the others. It's a whole process.
Speaker 1: And I think and that and see, I think that's the confusion. And I think that's what's wrong with where the space is at now.
Speaker 3: It's not enough appreciation for with as well. We'll go back to the White Lightning. Sure, I'm sure you thought all eight of those songs were fired yep. Are you wanting to put them on there?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 3: He listened to all of them and said that one's the one they want.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And that's three quarters of the work right there. And it makes sense that it came from Saint Danton who at that time his sound had broke through. He had figured something out. But again, whoever, whichever wisdom. So the agent out of hip hop is probably not possible if you are truly the culture itself. But I think you could check out. I think you can decide to stop paying attention to we. So it's not a follow the leader thing because at the same time Dre. Even if let's say he says Quick is his muse, Let's say here is this streaming like you know what, yeah, Glass is that true? Quick is my muse? He was doing this and that G than Dred do not sound like DJ Quick. Let's say Warren G saw what Quick was doing and Dre was doing, and he was like, man, I like that, that's his muse. Right when it came to the hip hop space outside of R and B, regulate does not sound like G thing. Let's say Slip saw all the stuff they was doing. DJ Slip from Compass most wanted right a straight up minute doesn't sound like G thing. You get what I'm saying. Primo could look Pete. Primo could have looked at Pete. I don't know, because I don't know that history of who that how they saw each other. I know this one a little more. But he could have looked at Pete and was like, man, that Pete Rock shit is crazy and made this shit his shit don't sound like Pete Rock. Q Tip could have saw whoever, they don't. It don't sound the same. The reason we feel like hip hop sounds the same right now at a level is because when everybody first starts, they're emulating somebody. For the most part, it is a couple. It is a couple guys in hip hop, you know what I mean. They come out the rip and they just.
Speaker 2: Got some They got to develop into that though.
Speaker 1: But most people start with training wheels to ride about it. It's gonna be very few human beings that just hop on the bigans, popa wheelie and go. So what we're hearing is a lot of people using beats, right that are training wheel beats the elite level. Uh, take Keith Pete. Take Keith. Don't sound like mustard.
Speaker 3: I think of like a like a good as far as how these small details are the separators, Like Manny Fresh came out of a dense environment of people creating like that same kind of sound at that time in New Orleans, right, everybody's kind of doing the same thing, the little things that he did with his sound, which was the same type of sound, using the same type of everything, because that was the sound of the city at the time, is what separated and made that Super Bowl ten million units versus we did fifty thousand. The city in Ornans they're there really were doing a lot of the same, the same style, same name. They weren't changing, like the space was that big. It was just the nature with which he did the little things that helped get it out of the city.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, that's there, So I don't want to hold that against hip hop. You just have a lot more training wheel, beach trap. That's all because most people didn't have a music program, so they're only they're emulating something right there, and then those beats are being selected. But if you look at the major league pitchers and professional hip hop today, at at a professional level, none of the shit sound the same. Hit boys shit don't sound nothing like Mustard, that don't sound nothing like Take Heap, that don't sound nothing like them. Guys has placing top forty songs. None of them guys sound the same. Now, at the lower level, when you first getting into the league, yes you're gonna hear a lot of things that sound the same. But at the professional level you can clearly hear the difference. We just got a lot more amateur ball, and we have some amateur ball. We have amateur leagues that are big league things we do, and it's all kind of people getting deals that don't know much about music. So that's all I'm saying. I'm saying, you have to look at the wei. You have to look at the Wi. You have to because hip hop is the movement of we. We decide what's cool. We move together, the movement of we. So you only could age out if you stop recognizing the wei in things, the we, that culture that you grew up in, the we of that thing. That's where you disconnect.
Speaker 2: Hip hop is I agree with them that within it being the wee.
Speaker 4: And what we did was we turned, we turned so so we turned James Brown drummer, Al Green drummers, we reinvaded, we rented, we reinvaded that. Their their drum breaks they they came up with, and we made it into hip hop right there. You know what I'm saying. And that's what we did. You know what I'm saying, for the most part of every hip hop so on, you're gonna here, it's the same drum.
Speaker 2: As a Greens drummer is James Brown drummer.
Speaker 4: I forgot that. I got the dude's names right there. But those breaks they was using right there, we reinvented, we went, We reinvented that right there and made it into hip hop. You know what I'm saying, and through so much even even if you playing it at or you even sampling the ship, that's the that's the breaks that we use right there, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So we my bad.
Speaker 4: We did a bad tapping table, but we did we did like yeah, so I get the weed. You know what I'm saying. We took We took it and made it into hours. I always say hip hop is hip hop. Is the only drama that could take anything and make it to hip hop.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I can make could do it. But no, no, every every Jona can't do it. Every Jona can't do it. Every Jona can't do it. Poppa is the only Grama. We could take anything and make it to hip hop. We could take anything.
Speaker 1: I think everybody else could do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you look.
Speaker 1: At what Ray Charles did with with Must Be Jesus, and he turned it into soul, I'm sure they could turn.
Speaker 2: The way he sang it, the way he sang it though.
Speaker 1: How he played it.
Speaker 3: There's cases of this in the in the like there's songs that like James Taylor did that, and he's a very folky, hippie, earthy rock and roll. I guess you want to call him that singer. And there's a honestly Brothers hit that was one of his songs that they just did. Like that has happened this president for that, but.
Speaker 1: I do I agree with But again, that goes into the movement of we. We saw us dance the dance break and we was like, Okay, we're gonna reorganize the melody of what's happening over something that makes your feet move. That's all Drake. That's all Drake Quick Warren and those guys did and Cat did you know we can freak it. It's just Ray Parker Jr. Tell Tunit and buot. It ain't nothing but the association like what people are going to move to? What is the we going to move to? How are we moving? That's all I'm saying, doog, It's just the we And and if you stay in touch with the we, You're gonna always have your posts, you know what I mean? On a heartbeat of hip hop, you always and if nothing else, shout out to ll cool J, if nothing else out out to COOLJ. You could just stay classic. You could just stay classic. No sentners Live to lunch out every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at noon Pacific Standard time right here on Digital soap Box Network. Click the thumbs up button if you're on the YouTube. I don't know how many of y'all in here on YouTube, but I know we got seven hundred people all together between Twitter and all the YouTube and Facebook, so we're cooking up. Clicking thumbs up button. We do this up the stream to market the No Sealers podcast right there below. New episode dropping tomorrow. Check out the one we just dropped. Conversations on the culturally entitled for some of y'all is culturally entitled You feel Me Just Drop. You can listen to it on Apple Podcasts, iHeart Podcasts, or anywhere you get your podcasts from No Sealer's podcast. Executive produced by Charlomagne and God, the Black Effect Network and iHeart and we out this and looking out for tuning in to the No Sellers podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, comment, and share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA. It produced about the Black Effect Podcast Network and not Hard Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah