Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roblast, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirell Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Tania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Demanse Yo, you know, I rode one of those bird scooters to the Fox lot today again, three point thirty in the morning, wearing a full suit.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a vide sounds like a wearing a full suit is crazy.
Speaker 2: Those things go fast, bro that, and I don't feel comfortable riding them on the street, And so I'm driving it on the sidewalk, but the sidewalk is like uneven and I almost just I mean, I hit a I don't know, maybe a two inch maybe a three inch bump in the sidewalk, like between one piece of sidewalk to the next Oh no, I didn't fall, but it was a close call, man. And you should see the Fox Lot security guys when they see me roll up my bird scooter, full suit, backpack, just walking up to the security gate at three point thirty in the morning. Welcome in. It is another episode of What's Right with Nick right in the podcast and YouTube show like rate, subscribe, review, do all those things. You will greatly appreciate it. We have this full week of shows that we are on vacation for a week. However, we will continue our countdown of the fifty greatest players the last fifty years with a slight one week hiatus. We just had number five and number four Tim Duncan and Magic Johnson. About forty minutes on those two players. That video came out On Sunday, we will have three, two and one. We know who the top three are. The question is the order. Kareem, Lebron and Michael are our top three. So that will be coming at you one week from Sunday. But we have today's show and one more show before a brief vacation. You might say, wait, the setup looks a little bit different. It is true is because Demanse is in New York. I am doing this show from Los Angeles. We will hear from Demanse in just a moment, but it is great to see you. That is a great looking sweatshirt you are wearing, young man. But before we get to Demanse's part of this, we will talk discuss what we are not discussing is we do every show. What did not miss the cut? Aaron Rodgers, Banana's tattoo? All that might actually make the show, however, or at least a special YouTube version of who has the worst four four arm tattoo? Aaron Rodgers or Demonse Because I now after years of wondering, have found out what Demanse's foreign language forearm tattoo means. That may be on the show. Nick Curios calls out a drunk fan that is going to be on the show. I don't know what they're talking about there either, and John Morant on Michael Jordan, I would have cooked him. The issue there is the definition of the word cook. Does he mean beat him in one on one? He would not have done that. Does he mean cook him a few times? He absolutely would have done that. So there's this. You know what, we actually gave you a little take to all of those things. However, demanse, we are now ready to go. How are you are you? Are you a little nervous before you even get in the show. Are you a little nervous about the tattoo segment if we do that later?
Speaker 3: I am a little nervous. But I love how I knew exactly where you were going with that as soon as you started talking, Aaron Rodgers. But uh, I think people like it.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know what. I like it more now that I know what it means. For years, you wouldn't tell me what it means. You have a tattoo on your chest that you still have not told me the truth of its origin. One day I'll get that, maybe your thirtieth birthday. Okay, start us off. What are we starting with today? Uh?
Speaker 3: So, Harden takes a fifteen million dollar pay cut to stay with the Sixers. Big Tennis fan Daryl Morey agrees with this decision very heavily, as Harden admitting that he's no longer great Or are we supposed to expect that Harden expects to win in the future.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, we've got to give credit where credit is due, And James Harden had the option of play this year for forty seven million dollars opt into that or do what he's doing. And the exact contract details have him been finalized, but I think it's going to be about a two year, sixty four million dollar deal, so thirty two million this year with a player option for thirty two million for next year. And yes, some people are like, well, he was only guaranteed forty seven, now he's guaranteed sixty two. This is an absolute team friendly deal that helps the Sixers avoid the penalties of the hard cap, that helps the Sixers add the players they've added this offseason, which I think makes them a more viable contender in the Eastern Conference that we know at least I believe Milwaukee sit to the top of. Then you have Boston as a clear number two, and then real questions after that, what is Miami going to look like? What the hell is Brooklyn gonna look like? And can Philly be better? And James Harden is a punching bag of sorts, and fairly so, because he quit on Houston and then he quit on Brooklyn and then when he got to Philly he was bad. However, just because a guy has some really ugly marks on his resume doesn't mean we have to ignore when he does something that clearly and obviously helps the team and him not op thinking. I'm it wouldn't have saved things for the Lakers. But what if Russell Westbrook had done something similar opt out of the forty seven million dollars and then agree to a fifteen million dollar cheaper contract. What would that have potentially opened up for them? Now, this specific contract that Harden just agreed to, the Lakers wouldn't have offered to Russ because the player option in year two. The Lakers obviously don't expect Russ to be on the roster this year, much less a year from now. But the point is Harden is not a fan favorite, and understandably so. However, I don't think anyone should ever question how much he wants to win. Now. If you want to say, he would take care of his body a little bit more, he wouldn't go out as much if he really wanted to win, I guess I could listen to that, except for the fact the guy was incredibly durable, and the guy had it was incredibly not just high usage, but high minutes in games every single year of his career until he got to Brooklyn and he started dealing with some injuries. That I mean, he was eighty plus games seemingly every year with the Rockets, playing around thirty eight minutes per game, near the top of the league in minutes played every single year. The issue with Harden wasn't that he didn't want to win. The issue with Harden was that in the biggest spots he didn't play well. But that wasn't for lack of trying. And one of the reasons I would argue the biggest reason he wanted to leave Houston when he did was he knew that team could no longer win now. He did it in kind of embarrassing fashion, and he left Brooklyn in even more embarrassing fashion. But this is a guy that is going to have made between the Adidas money in the NBA money around half a billion dollars, and so it is not it shouldn't be shocking that he is going to set money aside to a degree, take fifteen million dollars less to try to help Philly have the best chance to win. That doesn't shock me. It is only shocking because it is so rare that it's done. But even though Harden is not a popular figure. There is no work around too. While he actually this is actually good for him, be good. No, it's only good for him in the context of it gives him a better chance to win a championship, which is what I think he truly wants to do and I think what his goal is, So I'll give him credit for it. All right, what's next?
Speaker 3: Dam and Bill both signed huge extensions with their teams. But I mean sorry. Beal says that he thinks that the Wizards can win with him on the team win a title, but Lillard says that fans need to rock or rep the front of the jerseys more than the back. I don't necessarily know what that means. Does he mean, like, you know, they need to worry more about the team instead of what the players are doing.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he's saying guys, yeah. No, though, I think he's saying, guys need to be more like players and such, need to be more concerned with the less concerned about themselves and more concerned about the team and the organization, which is the team when they Werezation isn't always concerned about the players. But I understand what he's saying. But go ahead and ask the question.
Speaker 3: Work. Okay, So both players are getting grilled for staying with bad teams, and honestly, it's it's kind of weird. I feel like they should get that Jordan Kobe treatment for staying on their same teams. But what's the problem here with fans? It seems like the players can't really do anything right.
Speaker 2: Well, so here's the thing. They're obviously not Jordan Kobe caliber players. And I know you're not saying, yeah, but guys that you know stayed with one team their entire career. Now, I should be noted Kobe did demand to trade and Jordan did eventually go play for the Wizards. Bierstein, what you're saying the Reggie Miller arc of your team's never quite good enough, but you stay with the Pacers forever. I understand the point that you're making. And this is where I think, this is where we have to remind people. Twitter is not real life. There are certain elements of NBA Twitter that no matter what a guy does, he is going to be criticized for. If Damian Lillard had asked it out, had asked out, people would say he's running from the challenge. He stays they say, oh, he doesn't care about winning. Bill. To me, it was a no brainer. Bill is not an all time caliber player. He's a very good player, a very nice player, but not an all time caliber player. They're offering him a quarter of a billion dollars. He knows he can't be the best player on a championship team. In my opinion, he's like a clear step below, like real Hall of Fame caliber player. So the bial thing is almost a different category. Dame is unique and interesting because Dame is an all time player. Dame's a top seventy five all time guy. He was one of the final cuts of my list of the fifty gardest last fifty years. And it's not only that he's never won a championship. He's never played in a finals. And here is my concern for Dame. So demons, do this with me. I'm going to give you four names, and my guess is you are familiar with In fact, I know you're familiar with all four of them. But they are guys of this most recent generation, the best players to never forget win a championship, the best players to never play in a finals. Steve Nash, Vince Carter, Tracy, McGrady, Carmelo, Anthony, you have vivid memories and you can picture all of those guys at the peak of their powers. Correct. Yeah, Okay, So here's why I mentioned that. I think we feel like and Vince I think will be iconic forever because he's the greatest dunker ever and has so many great highlights. But I think we think that those guys have more staying power than they actually do despite never making a finals. And here's the evidence of it. I'm gonna give you four more names. They're the four best players to not make a finals in the era prior to the most recent one. Okay, and aside from hearing me mentioned them on the top fifty list, the guys who made it. Do you know anything about any of these people? Sidney Moncreef, Bernard King, Alex English, George Gervin. Do those four names mean anything to you?
Speaker 3: No, Bernard King is probably the only.
Speaker 2: One, and you don't even really know why it means something. You've just heard it like that. You can't you can't picture, you can't visualize any of it. By the way, this isn't me roasting you for that.
Speaker 3: No, here's it.
Speaker 2: So here's my concern for Dame. I don't want Dame to be forgotten the history. And while I'm familiar with those four names I just mentioned, I think there's a lot of contemporary NBA fans that don't know about any of them, except for maybe George Gervin because he had a sweet nickname, the Iceman, and he had this amazing move, the finger roll. There is there is nothing to get guarantee that Dame's name, you know, echoes throughout history. And if he stays in Portland forever and they I don't know that they'll make another conference finals, much less an NBA finals. I think he's going to be in a rough spot. Like I think Tracy McGrady. People don't think of it now. I think Tracy McGrady will be forgotten to history. I think Steve Nash has some historical relevance, partially because he was a white superstar and a white non European superstar, partially because they played such a different brand of basketball, and then everybody else seven seconds or less. Vince will echo forever because of the dunking in the same even more so than Dominique did. Dominique's another guy, by the way, I could have added to that list, I guess of guys who never made a finals. But he has the thing that Dominique has, which is the amazing highlight reel. Carmelo might have some right, Carmelo might have some historical relevance just because he was the Carmelo Lebron Wade draft class. But Carmelo can be forgotten, not forgotten, but set aside, similar to how Bernard King has been. Nobody cares about Alex English. I'm the only I'm the only person that cares about Sidney Moncree, and then there's Gervin with the finger roll. So Dame is making a choice here to stay loyal to Portland, and I'm not going to judge him for it. But as a Damian Lillard fan, do I kind of wish that we could see him play in a conference finals with a real chance to win it, as oppose the one conference finals he made when they got swept by Golden State when Durant didn't even play much less see him in an NBA finals, I do. Unless he at some point demands a trade in the future, I don't think we're gonna see it. The flip side of that is, he did just guarantee himself sixty three million dollars in his age thirty six season. That one hundred and twenty two million dollar extension is his age thirty five and thirty six season, So financially speaking to hell of a deal. All right, what's next?
Speaker 3: So you agree with the fans basically?
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I don't want to know. I don't agree with anyone criticizing him or attacking him, because people would have attacked him or criticize him no matter what. But do I agree that this kind of cements that he's not gonna win a championship? Yeah? Portland? I mean Portland is more likely next year to miss the playoffs than to make the conference finals. And Dame's not gonna get better in the coming years. He's gonna try to maintain and then probably drop off. All right, what's next?
Speaker 3: Okay? Understood? Uh? Now the Baker has been moved. Jimmy g is the only good quarterback available. Jimmy's agent says that they want him to stay with the or the Bucks want him to be the higher apparent to Tom Brady? Uh is this even real? And does it? Do you think the Bucks mismanaged the Jimmy g situation over the summer.
Speaker 2: All right, uh, I really really.
Speaker 4: Really to do this too, you, I really apparent here air apparent, the air apparent, not higher apparent air apparent.
Speaker 2: It's it's a one of those Yeah, listen, like you are my heir, Like if I die, you get my stuff. You know what I mean? You and your sisters are my heirs. But it's the h is silent. Listen. I'm sorry, but but I get it. You're like higher a parent. Like they want to hire him. They apparently want to hire him. I don't know, Listen, this is such a life. It happens. I want to I don't know. I don't know what you thought, but I mean, so this is I mean, I am more interested in that. Hey, but you know what, let me tell you something. Let mean and there's a good piece of advice for everyone. My friend Dragonfly Jones is the one that made me aware of this, and he's right. You should not ever mock someone for mispronouncing a word because it almost always means they learned the word by reading it rather than by hearing it. So like if somebody comes across the word they're not familiar with when they're reading it, they have to come up with their own pronunciation for it. So it actually sometimes is a sign of a more learned individual. In this case, I'm not going to say this was a sign that you're a more learned individual, but you just listen.
Speaker 3: You know, I could have I could have just taken the easy route and typed it into the pronunciation thing into Google. But I just figured I had this word, this four letter word figured out. It just looks like, you know, it honestly makes sense with the situation. It all right, Yeah, I got you.
Speaker 2: It looks like the word higher. Just maybe Matt miss typed it in the rundown. I get it, buddy. I'm not against you. I'm just telling you what happened here. Okay. So here's the deal. Nobody wants Jimmy Garoppol, Not at twenty five million bucks, not a with his injury history, not without the Shanahan offensive infrastructure with him. You know how we know nobody wants Jimmy Garoppol. Mike McDaniels was his offensive coordinator in San Francisco. Mike McDaniels goes to Miami. Miami wanted to Sean Watson. Miami then tried to sell a piece of the team to get Tom Brady. They're so out on Toua. No matter what Tyreek Hill says about him and haves Miami tried to go get Jimmy g No, of course not so the I don't buy that he's I think what's gonna happen with Jimmy Garoppolo is this, The Niners are not gonna be able to find a trade. They're gonna have to decide if they want to outright release him, and if they don't, they're gonna just wait on a team to suffer a quarterback injury and then hope that team is super desperate. But Jimmy Garoppolo is a below average quarterback in this league that because he has been in amazing situations is and the people that pray at the altar of quarterback wins act like he is a huge part of the reason that team went to a super Bowl and went to a conference championship game as oppos to the fact that he was just along for the ride. Jimmy Garoppolo has is four and two in the playoffs in his career. Those in those six games, he has four touchdown passes, six interceptions, a seventy five passer rating and averages one hundred and sixty yards passing per game. And he just makes inexplicable decisions. And oh yeah, by the way, he's injured all the time. So no, I don't believe Tampa is chomping at the champing at the bit? Pardon me? There's another one? How about that? This is when a lot of people will get wrong. Demon say, did you know the phrase is champing at the bit? But everyone says chomping at the bit because they it's like biting. It's like what a horse does. Yeah, it's like But so if you say champing, people think you got it wrong, but it's actually correct. But if you say chomping, no one bets an eye, but it's actually wrong. But the point is, I don't think anybody is, you know, thirsty for Jimmy Garoppolo at twenty five million bucks? What's up, pal? Looks how you have something on your mind? No?
Speaker 3: I mean, whoever created the English language was just an okay, well yeah, listen, don't wait, because that was probably a phrase that came like way later after the English language was created. But like that, you know what, which is real quicklogy etymology of champing at the bit, let's find out.
Speaker 2: I know what it means, but the why is it champing and not chomping? Grammar is tells us.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The quick answer to whether champer chomp is correct is both are acceptable. That's a cop album. You know what grammar is. That's bullshit. That is the same way that they all of a sudden added What is the thing they just added to the dictionary that is obviously wrong, but everyone uses it so much they just gave up all think of it in a moment. It used to irritate the hell out of me. It's won something so many people got wrong. The dictionary just gave up there, like, it's fine, we'll call it the way correct is champing they just started. Champing stems from an old Middle English word. It's been around for six hundred years. Relates to the grinding of a horse's teeth, most likely imitative in nature. The word's been more modernly used to express biting down on a bridle. Yeah, okay, that makes sense? All right? What's next?
Speaker 3: Man? All right? Words, So let's talk some rancor. You revealed Tim Duncan at number five and magic irregardless.
Speaker 2: That's the word sorry, irregardless of the word is not a word. The word is regardless. Irregardless is not a word, but so many people used it. Merrion Webster was just like, screw it, We'll put it in there, but irregardless is not a word, even though now it is technically a word.
Speaker 3: All right, go ahead, okay, irregardless. We talked out Duncan. We talked out Duncan over Kobe last week, but per usual, people are still mad. Yeah, Kobe fans want their guy higher than Magic. All Magic fans would say that he should. Kareem shouldn't be high than him. Why is number four the right spot for Magic Johnson?
Speaker 2: It's the It's to me, there are few There are a few spots on this list that are inarguable, and one is Magic Johnson at number four. And by that I mean there is no legitimate argument that Magic is better than Kareem, Lebron or Michael, the three guys ahead of him. And there is no legitimate argument that Duncan, Kobe, Bird, shaq A, Keem, any of the people but Steph any of the people behind him are ahead of it. Magic at four is like to me written in stone when we're doing of the last fifty years. If you add Wilton Russell, it complicates in the last fifty years. That is one of the like Duncan versus Kobe versus Bird is a real argument, Steph versus Kadi versus Shaq and Achem, those are real arguments. Where doctor Jy fit into it? Where does Moses fit into it? And obviously the top three there is an argument for Kareem, Lebron and Michael all three of them at one, two or three. Magic at four. It's If people want to know my full reasoning for it, they can watch the video of it. But the short version is the guy played twelve seasons pre HIV. Nine of them he either won the MVP, finished second, or finish third. Nine of them he went to the NBA finals. Five of them he won uh NBA Championship. Guy won Finals MVP as our twenty year old rookie jumping center in game six with forty two, fifteen and seven something absurd I don't have in front of me. The Magic at four is exactly where he needs to be. I'm chomping at the bit to talk about this more. We'll be right back. Welcome back in What's right with Nick Wright? Segment number two, We play some We have some fun. If you were just listening before, if it made the podcast, we talked a little bit about bird scooters, demons. What are we starting with today?
Speaker 3: We're starting with a little bit of tennis. Get to Oh yes, sir, so Djokovic beat Kurios in the Wimbledon final. The doll had to drop out due to an injury, So sadly we missed the match of a lifetime. Yeah, but uh, who was ahead of the goat discussion?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: And what happens if Novak has to skip the US Open and the Australian Open due to his vaccine status.
Speaker 2: Okay, first of all, I now understand why you didn't pronounce air correctly, because you spent all your pronunciation time and energy on Nadal and Djokovic and Wimbledon and all of it, and you and Kirios and you nailed it. I mean, you didn't call him cry g os. You nailed it. You got Djokovic exactly right. I am proud of you in that regard. Okay, I still think Rafa Nadal is the greatest tennis player. Djokovic, though continues to make a strong case. Now. It was a shame that we didn't get to see Djokovic and Nadal in the final. Anyone that knows anything about tennis, even if you're rooting for Curios, you knew mentally he wasn't gonna be able to sustain in the final, and he wasn't demanse in the final. He started screaming at his own coaches for not cheering hard enough for him. He was like, I'm up forty love and you you sit down. You gotta keep yelling throughout the point. You gotta stand. He's on the court yelling at him while he's melting down. He tried to get a lady ejected because he said she was heckling him. He was yelling at them. Curios is just out of his mind. I like him a lot, but he's just out of his mind.
Speaker 3: I feel like some tennis players have like the potential to be some of the most snobby people ever.
Speaker 2: So he's not that though. So he's not You're right about that, but that's not him. He's just doesn't have a full good control of his emotions. But so Djokovic. Once Nadal was out with the injury, we did miss it because poor Nadal is going for the first single season Grand Slam in fifty three years. I think since sixty nine. I think it was Labor. I keep saying I think it was Labor, and I never look it up Rod Labor.
Speaker 3: See Fritz Fiel right now?
Speaker 2: Fritz?
Speaker 3: Who's Fritz the guy that the doll faced before he dropped out because of his injury.
Speaker 2: Oh oh the match we watched. Yeah, so that's what that's what I want. Yeah, that he couldn't beat him even when he was hurt. So that's what I wanted to ask you about. So I made you and your wonderful girlfriend come upstairs to watch the fifth set of Nadal in the quarterfinals. Be honest, you're not gonna hurt my feelings. And at one point you did fall asleep, but you have a bit of narcolepsy where you can just like fall asleep like that and then be right back up. What you watched? Was it or was it not compelling? It?
Speaker 3: Definitely? Yes, it was much more interesting than I anticipated. And like I, like I told my cousin fall May, it did up my tennis interest about fifteen. It does like.
Speaker 2: When you see like this strategy you have to do the different things you have to do and trying to like the different shots. Because I saw you at one point you went ooh, he like you.
Speaker 3: You noticed it. I knew he got him. He got him.
Speaker 2: It's good man. Oh yeah, US Open, here we come. But if here's the thing about the US Open that's interesting. So Federer obviously isn't going to be playing. Federer's done. Essentially, he says he's going to play one more Wimbledon. We'll see. Djokovic won't get vaccinated, and theoretically that means he can't play in the US Open. I don't even know if he can come into the country. If Nadal's injury is really is, you know, so bad, the US opens around the corner. It starts in what six weeks less than that, just about six weeks. I would imagine the Doll's gonna be able to play. But if he's two injured to play, then all of a sudden it is wide open. And I don't know what Medvedev's the rule of Medvedev is, because are the Russians allowed to play in the US Open. They weren't allowed to play in Wimbledon. I'm not certain what the US opens rule is. Gonna be, but I hope the doll gets to play. I wish we would have gotten to see Nadal Djokovic. We didn't credit to Djokovic for keeping his cool. Djokovic, who dropped the first set and then came storming back, handled it all well, and he he handled all gracefully. He's not my favorite, but I give him credit. He's a great champion, twenty one majors now and the most I think now he does have the most major finals of anyone ever with thirty two major finals twenty one and eleven. And all right, that's enough for Nick's tennis corner until the US Open. Maybe we can do this podcast live from Ash.
Speaker 3: That second last longer than the is normal hoop match in twenty ten.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's the match I told you about. Do you know that's the one I told you about that went like nine hours.
Speaker 3: Six six nine hours? Whoa were they? Were they in the different days or was it nine consecutive hours? Because from my knowledge and when I looked up, it said that hit dispatch lasted three to six days, six days. I can't. I don't really put my put my finger on it right.
Speaker 2: Now, Okay, I don't know that it lasted three to six days.
Speaker 3: Holy crap, what we go ahead?
Speaker 2: It lasted eleven hours. The match took eleven hours and five minutes. Oh, but they did split it up over multiple days. That part true.
Speaker 3: It was over three days.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I thought you managed to speaking of my research was no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I thought you were saying, okay, good job on the is normal hoop point. I'm very proud of you for that is correct. That's the But that's the match I told you about which made him change the Wimbledon tiebreaker because when we were watching it and I told you, they Jane Teiberger. Okay, that's enough tennis, All right, go ahead, what's next?
Speaker 3: It's time for right or wrong?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Tyreek Hill claimed that the Dolphins post that posted the video of Tua underthrowing him intentionally said that they wanted to shock the league make him seem like he was worse than he actually was. Right or wrong, Tyreek Hill is the teammate of the year.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think wrong, because the other thing Tyreek said about Tua was that this is, you know, a make or break year for his career. But I'm gonna throw something else at you here. So Antonio Brown plays for the Steelers and is considered a little eccentric but just a great player. You know, did the one live stream from the locker room, that's it. He then leaves the Steelers and in no particular order, like freezes his feet in the cryogenic chamber. He doesn't wear the right shoes and has the mistraining camp, then tries to smug illegal helmet onto the field that he had hand painted himself, then forces his way out of the Raiders forces essentially cost himself a chance with the Patriots. Has all this mayhem with the bucks, you know, strips on the field, all of this stuff. Right, So with the Antonio Brown. You know who ended up looking the best after we saw Antonio Brown the last four years. The answer to that, Nope, that's a good guess. But no Mike Tomlin, who was his coach in Pittsburgh. And it's like, my god, you had this guy for six years and nobody knew he was a maniac because you had him totally under wraps. So here's my Tyreek kill point. Tyreek Hill evidently has had these hot, spicy takes for years. But when he was with all Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes. We didn't hear Naria peep. Tyreek Hill was quite as a little church mouse when it came Tony any media commentary. Now he gets down to Miami and he can't stop talking. So listen, and Tyreek is coming to grips with the fact that again and more power to him, he took the money and the city and you know all of that. And the tradeoff is you go from the best quarterback in football to a guy who's not gonna be a starting quarterback a year from now. And he's trying to talk his way through it. Two is not good, man, Two is not good. Tyreek knows two is not good. The world knows two is not good. I like Toua. I sat and talked it to it the Super Bowl. I root for Tua, but he's not an NFL starting quarterback. Tyreek knows it too, and he's dealing with it, all right, what's next?
Speaker 3: He's dealing with it. I love it. Uh. Summer League champs now get rings. That's great news for Kings and Magic fans. Pretty wild that they're giving out rings before the preseason. Uh huh, right or wrong. Participation in trophy culture has gone too far.
Speaker 2: Right, I I like it. Oh, I don't mind. No, I don't mind this at all. I hate the folks who are like, who are all anti participation trophies? I hate them? So listen. I played little peewee soccer and baseball, and at the end of the year, Yeah, they gave everybody, or they gave a lot of people little trophies, but they weren't the same size trophy the champions got. And we all kept scored, and we knew who the good teams and the bad teams were. And as my buddy Laslow would say all the time, people that are like, oh, there are no participation trophies in the real world, they're not. You know what, They're called paychecks. You show up, do your best, you get a weekly participation trophy. It's called a paycheck. Now you want the big trophy, the championship trophy. That's the promotion, that's the bonus. This idea, oh, it's a it's a we're raising up generation of soft kids. Why by trying to teach young people that hey, commit to a team, show off, to practice, fight through the hard times, and even if you're not the best out there, we're gonna give you a token of your accomplishment, Like, go to hell with everybody attacking kids and saying, oh, like, oh, it's a new thing. Really, it's a new thing. I was born in nineteen eighty four, and I we got participation trophies. They're like, oh, this didn't exist in the sixties. Okay, yeah, but a lot of things didn't exist in the sixties, like letting the black kids play on the same team. As you complain about participation trophies, so pipe down with how much you better it used to be with the we didn't have participation trophies. So that brings me the Summer League. I'm good with it. Seventy five percent of the guys in Summer League will never play in an NBA minute. They want to Cinema christ Kid.
Speaker 3: God, Chris Paul, go back and play in the UH in the summer League.
Speaker 2: No you can't.
Speaker 3: He's not somebody I didn't know if Okay, I didn't know if that was I really didn't. That was an honest question. I guess it was a shot at Chris Paul, but I didn't. I thought that Summer League was like a thing that you chose to participate in if you wanted to but oh no, no, no.
Speaker 2: It's for young guys. All I guess, mate, and listen, maybe older veterans were coming off an injury could play. But it's for young guys. But seventy five percent of these guys whenever play in the NBA. They wanted them to take it seriously. Those rings look like my damn class ring from high school. It's like a Joscelyn ring. Like, they don't look like they're spending a lot of money on them. That's fine. Let them have the rings. Everyone just wants to complain about everything. Let them have the rings. All right, what's last? Go ahead, because we're late on time because I went on my brain trophies.
Speaker 3: Let's do it. So Tom Brady was on VAK off the off the Amalfi Coast. Yeah, this sounds nice.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm going for really, not this trip but the one in August. Yeah, I'm gonna stop by the Amalfi Coast, but go ahead and keep going.
Speaker 3: They were showing the Minions move well, they weren't showing the Minions movie anywhere nearby. So Brady posted a TikTok saying that he was going to take a private jet to go and see the Minions movie. Yeah, but the strangest part about this is the Minions and Tom Brady have beef and twenty twenty one, the Minions posted a quick tweet saying, ah squeezees like a deflated football and then quickly just deleted. Okay, right or wrong? Tom Brady retired to I mean unretired to prove the Minions wrong.
Speaker 2: All right, that's obviously wrong. But and listen, everybody knows I'm not the world's hugest Tom Brady fan. However, this is the type of Instagram flex that I appreciate. I appreciate Tom Brady just casually being like It's just it's such an efficient flex. It is a parenting flex of I'm on vacation, but I still want my kids to be happy. It is a vacation locale flex of yeah, I'm just hanging out on the muffy coat. And then it is a I am so much wealthier than you can ever imagine, and that I am chartering a private plane to take my kids to a movie flex. It is and it was all in just one little tweet. So I have I actually have mad respect for this. That's what I have respect for the Minions, reminding America that, you know, the Patriots for a long time essentially never ever fumbled the football and no one could figure out why. And then we're like, oh, the footballs are deflated and their waves are to hold and it kind of puts a you know, a black cloud over a bunch of their championships.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back, but but the Minions, Minions versus Brady better than all right, I'm sorry, No, we're skipping that. I didn't I didn't like that at all. I did not like that at all. But hey, the Minions versus Minions versus Brady is a better rival with the rivalry than Argusy, Sampris or Borg McEnroe. Uh, we'll record that on the side.
Speaker 2: No, that was perfect. All right. First of all, you got tripped up because rivalry is a very difficult word to say, and I mean that sincerely. Rivalry is like one of my hardest ones because it combines the l's and the rs. So that's a hard one. But then I think you called Andre Augusty Argacy, like the Argusy casinos in my hometown, yeah, in Kansas City. I also think you called John McEnroe McEnroe which is not ideal.
Speaker 3: I studied, Argusty sampras or Bork McEnroe, Argusy sampras Or Bork McEnroe, argus.
Speaker 2: You almost got it there. That was great. This is definitely gonna make the show. Now we'll be right back, all right, welcome back in What's Right? With Nick Ray's final segment. In a reminder, we will have a show on Thursday. Then we'll be off for a week, and then the following Sunday, So thirteen days from today, we will be back with the player number three, the third greatest player of the last fifty years in the NBA. Again, this top three. We know who it is. You guys have known who the top three was gonna be from the very beginning. If you, I mean, if you know anything about basketball, it's obvious the three greatest players, not in the last fifty years, but ever our Kareem, Lebron and Michael The question is the order. I have had so much fun researching this project. Number three comes out in thirteen well, I guess thirteen days fromhen we were recording twelve days from when you guys are hearing this a week from Sunday, but we will be off next week. We usually try to have some fun in this final segment of the show. However, there's a little bit of news trickling out Demons while we are recording. There was news from Nick Fridell on Kyrie Irving that he was just flatly, is Kyrie Irving does it look like is he going to be a Laker? And the answer was yes, it might just take some time. I saw that there was news this week and the Lakers don't want to include a first round pick. The Lakers are gonna get Kyrie. The idea that anyone within the Lakers is gonna be I understand all the baggage that comes with Kyrie, but you're gonna be able to get rid of Russell Westbrook, You're gonna be able to bring in Kyrie Irving, and you're gonna get Kyrie Irving for twelve cents on the dollar. So that's an obvious move. But the other move that's happening in with the Nets right now is obviously an attempted Kevin Durant trade. And what's fascinating about that is his preferred destination is Phoenix, and there is news from Brian Windhorse that do you want to give it, or do you want me to give it? Brian Windhors. While we've been talking, Brian Windhors says that I'll give it. What's up? What are you laughing at me about?
Speaker 3: Oh you said me give it?
Speaker 2: Or yeah, yeah, exactly, and then you started laughing at me.
Speaker 3: No, I was just laughing because you said Kevin Durant wants to go to the Suns like that, honestly, like it made me laugh a little bit. Wow. But yet, are you talking about DeAndre Ayton to the Pacers?
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly right, DeAndre Ayden. If Brian Windhorst is reporting DeAndre Aydon, the Pacers are sign him to an offer sheet or execute a sign and trade very sooner DeAndre Ayton. So how does that impact Kevin Durant. Well, if DeAndre Ayton can't be included in a Kevin Durant trade, then the Suns flatly aren't gonna have enough assets. They're not gonna First of all, they can't trade Devin Booker because Devin Booker and Ben Simmons can't be on the same team because of that designated player rule. However, they weren't gonna trade Devin Booker anyway. Mikhale bridges and stuff is not going to be enough for the Brooklyn Nets. So I have been so I think that if DeAndre Ayton does, because he wasn't DeAndre Ayton, we wasn't gonna wait forever for this Durant thing to get done. So it's not shocking to me that DeAndre Ayton is now. The Pacers have been tied to him, you know, for a while. This also is devastating for the Suns. And I don't think the Ayton's a great player, but losing Ayighton potentially for nothing, and if it is a sign and trade, we'll see what they get back in the sign and trade obviously hurts them in the final, you know, final year of Chris Paul's you know window as a championship player. And by the way, that year might have been last year, but I can't imagine he has more than one year left if he has that, so it urts the Suns, but it also eliminates another team that Durant could be traded to. So I'm gonna keep saying what I've been saying all along. The Pelicans are the team that makes the most sense. They are the team that can send a young All Star to Brooklyn. They are the team that has all the picks in the world that they can trade, and they are the team that could trade a young All star, bring in Kevin Durant and still potentially be competing for a championship. Because Katie is your one, Zion is your two, and CJ. McCollum as your three. With HERB Jones and others, you know, filling out the rest of the roster, that team can absolutely compete in the Western Conference. And I do like the idea of Durant coming to a team in the Western Conference because I like the idea of us potentially getting Durant Lebron in the playoffs on fair terms, which we've only ever gotten once in the twenty twelve finals. And I do like the idea of getting Durant versus Steph in the playoffs at some point, which obviously, the last time we got was twenty sixteen. In fact, the only time we got it was twenty sixteen, and then Durant joined Steph and since then they've never played in the playoffs obviously, So I hope Durant ends up with the Pelicans. I always thought the Sons are gonna be hard trade to make it's an impossible trade if by the time you see or hear this, DeAndre Ayton is on the Indiana Pacers that is today's show. Well back on Thursday before you take a quick vacation