Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Our one on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan Ed's Dan Patrick Show. Not exactly the encore we were hoping for, but the Blue Jays handled the Dodgers and that series is now tied at two games. Apiece game coming up tonight. Still no update on George Springer. He missed game four. His status for Game five is unclear. Otani pitched, he pitched, Okay, didn't do anything at the plate, but you had Vlad Guerrero Junior, the third has been the best player so far in the World Series. Twenty six hits, seven home runs, fourteen RBIs in the playoffs. These are all Blue Jays franchise records for a single postseason. But he took advantage of a meat ball that O'tani hung, and O'tani knew it right away, because that's a pitch that Otani hits out of the ballpark. But Vlad Guerrero sitting on that pitch and it was flat and he took it deep. So the Blue Jays, you know, they battled adversity. They're a big underdog here, and you win that game. Following what happened the night before, but when you think about it, I think they left nineteen runners in scoring position in the previous game. They can easily be up three games to one right now, tied to two. They have more hits than the Dodgers do. But this here's your pivotal Game five coming up tonight, all right, eight seven to seven three. DP Show Email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP Show. Good morning, those watching on Peacock and those listening on our radio affiliates over four hundred cities carrying this program. Stat of the Day, as always, brought to you by Panini America Official trading cards of the DP Show. Last day for the Flacco Round and find out T shirt, go to Danpatrick dot com. Play the Day, Poll questions, stat of the Day all of that forth coming first hour brought to you by Rapid Radio, the official walkie talkie of the DP Show. Push to Talk nationwide LTE network, No subscriptions ever. Business owners, stay connected with your employees anywhere. Visit Rapid Radios dot com. Up to sixty percent off and free shipping.
Speaker 3: All right. See poll question for the first hour. What are we thinking?
Speaker 4: Well, we're just batting this one around right now for whom is tonight's game more must winish?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: For whom is tonight's game more must winishh?
Speaker 2: I would say the Dodgers. Really, yeah, yeah, because then you go back to Toronto. Oh, look at Marvin all decked out in his Blue Jay gear.
Speaker 3: Come on, let's go. We're doing for Carlos Delgado. Come on, you could be a bench coach there. But Don Mattingly come on, Oh how many? Okay? Lefty? Okay, we'll take a left here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say must winish for the Dodgers, because then it goes back to Toronto.
Speaker 3: So what else do you have? We also had another one or whom are you rooting for the Blue Jays or Dodgers?
Speaker 2: Well, we had this is a breakdown prior to the start of the World Series. Four states that they were rooting for the Dodgers. Everybody else was rooting for the Blue Jays. That was the breakdown across the country.
Speaker 3: I could see that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they're rooting for the Blue Jays or rooting against the Dodgers. That you know, I have the Dodgers graduated to the evil Empire, you know, with the Yankees. Even then, when you look at the Yankees in the mid nineties, they weren't they weren't you know, an evil empire or players. You didn't like a Rod, but you liked Paul O'Neill, and you like Bernie Williams and Moe Ravera and Derek Jeter. You know, maybe it was the old George Steinbrenner you didn't like him. But still do you dislike the Dodgers. I don't think Otani is graduated to that where now you don't like him, or now you root against him, because it's still a great story and you see something you've never seen before. But Freddie Freeman, Clayton Kershaw, Dave Roberts, Mookie Beds, those aren't guys that you root against. You may not root for, but I don't think you go, oh, I'm looking forward to seeing that guy lose. You might have thought that with Roger Clemens, with a Rod, maybe Andy Pettitt. But you know, for the most part, those Yankees in the mid nineties were you know, just they were great players. Those were great teams. But I don't think the Dodgers have graduated where you may not root for them, but I don't think you're rooting necessarily against them, unless just the whole premise of they spend more money than everybody else and that's not fair. Maybe that is probably what you know, but the Yankees did the same thing. You know, people say, oh, they're buying another World series. Well, okay, here are the Dodgers. The Mets tried to do it. But maybe that's what it would be is. I don't like what they stand for or their business model, but every every fan would want this. If your team could spend the money, you go, hey, I don't care what you think, and that would be my attitude as well. We we are playing by the same rules as you. We just said to show, hey, Otani, how about we defer sixty eight million dollars a year after you retire? How about you play for two million dollars? Okay, they just kind of circumvented the rule. You know, this was a New England Patriots Bill Belichick kind of moment where you go, wait, what are they doing? Anybody else can do this as well. I mean, I don't know if Soto said, hey, I'm gonna play for two million dollars and then defer all my money to help out the Mets, I don't think that happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Ay, Rod wasn't really part of that great Yankees run. He came after the fact, so hey that that's when it was really hated. Okay, they were really he got one ring with them, but he missed that. Like Paul O'Neill waves say, yeah, Ernie Williams and all that.
Speaker 3: That's fair. Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: And a Rod's got a documentary out. It's a Rod versus Alex and I guess his two personalities. They didn't interview me for that, which I thought maybe I'd get a cameo in there since I was going to say we nearly came to blows. It was he nearly punched me, because there wouldn't have been blows. It would have been what happened?
Speaker 3: Did he did? He hit me?
Speaker 2: Okay, but I thought maybe i'd get a cameo in there, but I didn't. I don't even know if they bring up the interview that we had with him that kind of started that mess with him and Jeter when he was calling out Jeter and saying that he doesn't do anything as good as Alex does. Why are they paying him eighteen million dollars a year.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, it's probably one of those documentaries where the subject of the documentary is also the executive producer, which is really not good project. Executive pruser Alex Rodriguez, how was that going to be objective?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't think I made the cut there. No one reached out, no one said, hey, can we use a clip from your radio show when Alex called out Derek Jeter and then got mad at me because we played it on the radio show. And then he did an interview with Scott rab And said the same thing, and I think Esquire magazine the same exact stuff. When he was interviewed by Scott rab And, I go, how can you be mad at me when you said the same thing to a magazine writer.
Speaker 5: Yes, going back to the nineties Yankees, their players weren't likable, and even their winning wasn't dislikable. It's what happened after when if you're a fan of the Pirates or whatever team, you knew if you had a star player, the Yankee is.
Speaker 3: Going to grab him. That.
Speaker 5: It's almost more like the late nineties early two thousand Yankees, where hey, Kevin Brown and he's a Yankee, Mike, we see that he's a Yankee.
Speaker 3: John Daonah, come on over here.
Speaker 5: So like the Dodgers, there's no reason dislike them. They're following the rules, they're doing great work, and their players are likable. But it's the effect where you realize there's like a fifty percent chance that Paul Skeens will be a Dodger in two years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, the Yankees did this. But the Yankees were the first to really monetize having their own network. When you think about the Yes network, they were so far ahead of everybody else.
Speaker 3: And then they treated this and.
Speaker 2: We've talked about this before, they treated their starting lineup like it was Musty TV, like Thursday night NBC must Sy TV with friends, where you're seeing your stars, you're seeing star power. And I thought it was brilliant. But that's what the Dodgers are doing. They're spending the money. We're going to bring in people that you know when you tune it. You know the Blue Jays, I don't know them. I know Bishett, and I know Vlad and Springer, but you know they're trying. But now I got Otani, I got you know, the biggest sports star in the world, and you got Freddy Freeman you got Mookie Betts, you got that Dodger backdrop, the Dodger uniforms. The stars come out to watch the dot and you know, they treat it like that, it's an experience to watch. And I think that's a you know, brilliant, brilliant business plan. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just prefer teams that win rings in a more fiscally conservative manner.
Speaker 3: Yeah who does that? Who doesn't? That's just I just prefer that, Okay, all right, well good luck? Yeah, okay, that's.
Speaker 4: Why I Look at all the money they spend. Yeah, no, crap, look at the money everybody spending. Everybody spending a ton of money. Anybody who's actually competitive is spending a fortune. I would love for my team to spend money. If I was a fan, and I would say I wish we would spend more money. I don't think there's a fan base that says, hey, let's be responsible here. I mean, I have to balance my whole budget. Why doesn't the team balance theirs?
Speaker 5: Like the Dodgers are spending three hundred and fifty million on this team right now, and you can make the case Toronto's spending one hundred million less, but they're spending two fifty five, there's seven.
Speaker 3: They're not the twenty eighth team.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, they're not this lovable cute town of Toronto. Yeah yeah, international city.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you have an international airport?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. The Saints have made a change. They have who is it, Tyler Shuck?
Speaker 3: Let's go yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. I watched some basketball last night. I was watching the Bucks against the Knicks. It was Giannis against kind of Karl Anthony Towns. But dribbling is optional now in the NBA. Has Gianna's proved to us last night?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: You know, I did slow it down this morning and watched and I counted five steps and a push off and he didn't get called for anything but this silly gather step.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: But you know, traveling doesn't bother me as much as palming the basketball does, because that's an epidemic.
Speaker 3: That's everywhere.
Speaker 2: That's grade school, high school, college, NBA, G League, WNBA. Everybody is doing that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: If you want to say, but there is a rule about palming, they don't call it. And there is a rule for traveling. They don't remember. You'd always have that guy, you know, they, you know, somebody'd be like, that's traveling. You move your hands in a circular motion. They're not calling that anymore. But if they just come out and say, hey, we're not calling that anymore because it provides better highlights. It allows guys to have more separation, make great moves, athletic moves. Okay, but just tell me that and then I'll move on. But if you have it, call it.
Speaker 3: Yeh see.
Speaker 4: I think if your hands are big enough in great school at to Palma basketball, you should be allowed to.
Speaker 2: But you I'm not talking about actually, I'm talking about carrying it all right. And we called it palming because it would be the you know the ball. You couldn't have your hand go over the top of the ball.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, NBA Rule ten, Section two, Section D. A player who is dribbling may not put any part of his hand under the ball and carry it from one point to another, or cause the ball to pause and then dribble again.
Speaker 3: Okay, that happens every time down the floor.
Speaker 2: Yes, just okay, next time the commissioner's on, well, he might not want to come on anytime.
Speaker 3: Soon one topic.
Speaker 2: But when we get through this gambling stuff the next time, I'm just going to say, commissioner, are we calling this rule? Because if you're not calling it, then okay, hey, I won't be there going.
Speaker 3: That's palming. He's carrying them all.
Speaker 2: You know, nobody watches a basketball game with me because they're like, okay, yeah, tell me about the Jerry West days here.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're like, I am palming traveling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, imagine if Fritzy emailed the NBA this morning and said we talked to the commission only about palming, he'd kill call right in.
Speaker 3: Why do they call traveling? Can you get back to us another day?
Speaker 2: That's all I want to know what the topics? Yeah, that would be it for right now. That's more important to me than Chauncey Billups because he's not going to say anything about that. And it's it's it's quiet right now, And I don't know if that's a good thing or not, because I keep waiting somebody. There's some journalists out there still, like Pablo Torre is gonna find out something here soon. Quiet always makes me nervous. It feels dangerous. It's like nothing going on here like with the Clippers with Kawhi. Oh, by the way, when we come back, we're gonna play Michael Jordan said it. I'm not surprised he said it, but I think whenever he says anything, people are going to react. And the sit down with Mike Tarico had something to say about load management. So we'll have that. Your phone calls are always welcome. We will also settle on a poll question this first hour. Oh I got Chris Sims coming up? Is that right, Fritzyan, It's correct? Oh my bad. So we'll play the Jordan interview at least a portion of it coming up a little bit. But Chris Christophe Simms from Pro Football Talk Live, we'll join us coming up.
Speaker 3: Take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Hey is Cabino and written from Fox Sports Radio. Now. In addition to hearing.
Speaker 6: Us live weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, we're excited to announce a brand new YouTube for the show.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's right.
Speaker 6: You can now watch Covino and Rich live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Every day.
Speaker 6: All you gotta do search Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube again, go to YouTube search Covino en Rich FSR. Check us out on YouTube, Subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon, comment away.
Speaker 2: Get to your phone calls, settle on a poll question. We'll hear from Michael Jordan talking about load management. Last night, we bring in Chris Simms, Pro Football Talk Live co host, former NFL quarterback. You can also see him on Football Night in America. If I gave you the Chiefs or the field in the AFC, who are you taking?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: Wow, that's a good one right there. Who man, I'm probably gonna take the field, Okay, But I don't feel comfortable about that. I wouldn't put money on that. I would not. But yes, the Chiefs have figured out a lot of things and and the AFC has left the door open here while they got their feet underneath them and got healthy.
Speaker 3: Here to where again, Now, there's no question they're one of the top teams in the AFC.
Speaker 2: Once again, what do you need to see from the Colts where you would acknowledge they could be the best team in the AFC.
Speaker 7: No, I will acknowledge that already and tell you I don't need to see anything. They are the best team in the AFC right now. If you go look at it, maybe if there was something I'd like to see improved, could they use.
Speaker 3: Maybe one more difference maker? Right?
Speaker 7: Would they be in the trade deadline business here of maybe getting a guy at the corner position.
Speaker 3: That might be available out there.
Speaker 7: But man lou and Aroumo has done a really good job with that defense, and you could see, right, I mean, if he's got a few players, he can make it work.
Speaker 3: And where they're good.
Speaker 7: Is, yeah, they might let up a few yards on defense, but they make you kick field goals. They're pretty good at not letting you in the end zone. And then we know on the offense, then there's nothing with the offense. I mean, the offense is borderline perfect. Shane Steichen is one of the best offensive mindes in the sport. Where you're seeing what Daniel Jones can do with a little talent around them, the O line, the tight end, the receivers, I mean, the running back of course is an MVP player. They got it all right there in Indianapolis. It's they're a Super Bowl contending type team.
Speaker 3: I think it's a good story.
Speaker 2: They remind me of last year's Vikings where we were like, let's wait and see when we get to the playoffs, and we saw what happened to the Vikings when they got to the playoffs.
Speaker 7: Right, Well, I would I look at this as more offensive versatility and more danger that way, That's where I'd look at it to be a little different.
Speaker 3: Than the Vikings.
Speaker 7: With the Indianapolis's Colt's ability to run the football, that to me makes them a little bit in a different class than last year's Vikings football team because they can control the line of scrimmage and as you know, when you do that, the play action pass and all the other things that Shane Stikeen has to deliver in that offense are pretty special off it. They got it all on that side of the ball. There in Indianapolis.
Speaker 2: You've got Lamar Jackson coming back going to play against the Dolphins. Are we getting to must win situation time? I think so basically.
Speaker 7: You know, I think last week started that and the encouraging thing right where there's some teams out there where I'd go, I don't see it right like the Pittsburgh Steelers. I don't see it. It ain't gonna get much better. This is what they are, like. Don't hope for anything more that way. You know, there's teams like that out there. Baltimore, on the other hand, I look at them and go, no, no, no, I see some things about their team to go watch out.
Speaker 3: One. Their schedule is very favorable.
Speaker 7: They can go on a run here where we could look up in a few weeks and go, man, they're seven and five all of a sudden, Lamar coming back. I got no worries about their offense. With Lamar at quarterback, they can run the ball pretty good, as we know, maybe not as good as everybody wants, but with him at quarterback, I mean their offense, I don't worry. The defense got healthy last week, Dan, that was the big thing. I didn't realize they were going to be back to full stre right, and they look good, And that's one thing you look at to go, yeah, it's been underwhelming, but they can fix that area and they give me some hope there from what I saw in film watching them back this weekend. Why are the Falcons some mess? That's a great question, you know, one. I mean all over the place. That's a little bit having to do with leadership and then the coaches keeping them, you know, focused on the right things on a weekend, week out basis. But that was a shocking game last weekend. I think one, they're not patient enough with the run at times. For as good as they are in the runs still there, they don't throw play action pass very much, and they've tried to dabble in that a little bit more, but that makes no sense. You have Bjeon Robinson in an old line and you don't have a play action pass game that's like in depth and can attack off of that. That's another issue there. So I think, you know, those are a few of the things, but that's one that's hard for me to put my finger on it because they're more talented than what they're record shows.
Speaker 2: Right now, we're talking to Chris Sims, Pro Football Talk Live co host. Let's redraft the twenty twenty four draft. So you have Caleb, you have Drake May, Michael Pennix, Bo Nicks, right, redraft?
Speaker 7: Okay, So I still think I'm gonna give Jayden number one right now. I understand how awesome Drake May has been, right, I get that, And I'm guessing that's where you're asking this question because it's been awesome and he deserves to be in the MVP conversation for me as well there. But yeah, I'm still gonna go Jayden from everything we saw and the year he had last year. He had a little banged up this year, but he's won.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 7: This is where it gets interesting between Drake May and I'm still gonna go with Caleb Williams here because I'm such a believer in Caleb Williams talent. No, you know, it's those two, as I'm saying, and I don't know, it's close between that, I'm gonna take Caleb Williams, but saying that, man, and I'm just giving it just a little bit of you know, I believe in Caleb Williams. He's not playing the position quite as well as Drake May right now, but he's also going.
Speaker 3: Through you don't You don't sound very confident, well.
Speaker 7: Because it's a close one and I'm himing and hauling here and trying to figure it out on the fly here. But no, this is the other thing with Caleb Williams where I defend him.
Speaker 3: You know, he's.
Speaker 7: Learning to play a style of offense and quarterback that he's never played before, and it's been pretty damn good and it was better than people wanted to give him credit for last year, you know, now, throwing the ball in rhythm and staying in the pocket and doing that stuff. Yeah, that's He's been able his whole life, as you know, to be able to make magic happen and make it all go.
Speaker 3: And now he's kind of being rewired there.
Speaker 7: So I think that's why you have moments of going, Oh, I don't know if that looks as good as I would like, But Dan, I will still tell you he makes throws and scrambles and runs where I go. That's better than any of these guys in this rookie class that we're talking about.
Speaker 3: His arm is specialist. Let us have a special But.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go him to I'll go Drake May three, I'll go bow Knicks four, I'll go Michael Pennix five, and I'll go JJ McCarthy six.
Speaker 2: Okay, but if you look at this and you say, okay, you're you're hoping Caleb does what Drake May is actually doing right.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, yeah, I think we're a little bit of that too.
Speaker 7: Like all right, So who's playing better at this second right now, Yes, it's Drake May. But we get into these quarterback conversations too, and this is where it's hard sometimes, And this is where I fell into this with let's just say Jordan Love and Tua. I love Jordan Love coming out in the draft. At first I ranked him in front of Tua, but recognizing wait, he's not as good as Tua right now, but his talent and if you just wait two or three more years, he'll be better than Tua. And so that's where I get stuck in that combo. Drake May's hotter right now. He's playing better than Caleb Williams for sure. But I guess what I'm saying is I think Caleb Williams is gonna get there under Ben Johnson and ultimately surpassed Drake May.
Speaker 3: Guess is what my belief is Still.
Speaker 2: I see cam Ward play on a weekly basis. Yeah, Okay, the team isn't good, but he is not good, not right now. And if I look at Dylan Gabriel, who wasn't the number one pick overall, hasn't played well, plays for a bad team, and everybody's clamoring for Chador Sanders to get a chance when why aren't they doing something? You know with cam Ward that should you sit him down? His numbers are terrible, right, well, yeah they're terrible, so we can say the Browns aren't any good and Dylan Gabriel isn't any good. Okay, cam Ward's the number one pick in the draft. If his name was Caleb Williams, we would be criticizing him. He would be a focal point of all of these shows. Cam Ward doesn't have any social media presence, but you'll have Shador Sanders in Cleveland. So we're not being fair to Dylan Gabriel. And because he's a third round pick, he plays for a bad team. Cam Ward is a number one overall pick. Right, Well, you make a lot of good points there. First off, that just you just explained that there's unwarranted, like, you know, criticism of Caleb Williams too much. I don't I don't know why, right, I don't know why with that.
Speaker 7: Because he gets there's this you get clicks. That's why he got his fingernails. He had a pink phone. He went to USC game and it became a thing where.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but he makes some of the damnedest plays and throws I've ever seen in the history of the games.
Speaker 3: Don't think there's proper analysis.
Speaker 7: I get you there where, it's different here and where. I'll say to you, like, first off, the Titans, come on, it's a freaking disaster, a disaster.
Speaker 3: Are they worse than the Browns?
Speaker 7: Yes, they are. The Browns have an all star defense. If the Browns just have an offense at all, they a real pain in the butt. That's the problem. Okay, Right, So I think I look at that. I mean the Titans, I mean the coach that just got fired. He didn't know the rules of what receiver getting in boundses. I mean, that was a disaster there. I don't know what else to say. Cam Ward makes a few plays in every game, Dan that I go, WHOA makes a few throws every game? Where I sitting here in the NBC viewing room and everyone goes, oh my gosh, cam Ward.
Speaker 3: Dylan Gabriel's had zero of those plays.
Speaker 7: Yet Dylan Gabriel has moments where I go, I would never make him my starting quarterback?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 7: See you, Let's call Shador and figure that out now. So I'm already in, let's do the Shaduur thing and not necessarily knocking on Dylan Gabriel all the way because it's they doesn't have a great offense around him either, But they need to figure out what they got there because they're going to be right back in the quarterback draft market once again. And that's the only reason I say that. But yeah, cam Ward's shown me some elite stuff at least along the way.
Speaker 3: Dylan Gabriel is not to this.
Speaker 2: Point, Okay, Schnor Sanders was putting up Dylan Gabriel numbers, nobody would be saying you got to put in Dylan Gabriel.
Speaker 7: Probably not no, and that's that no. But that's not fair and I agree with you there, and that's the problem with when you that's why, oh, the analytics said to draft Shador Sanders, Well, the human analytics of saying it's stupid and it's the number one thing that's a distraction and talking about your football team all year. We don't talk about anything in Cleveland except Shador Sanders, Miles Garrett.
Speaker 3: At five sects. Is Shador gonna start?
Speaker 7: So that's what's crazy and not fair to your point one hundred.
Speaker 3: Percent, Okay, pick.
Speaker 2: You get one pick in the NFC, you can take that team against everybody else.
Speaker 3: Gosh, the NFC.
Speaker 7: So I think the NFC is so much better than the AFC, right, I mean it's it's not even close to me. I mean again, you're talking about Kansas City, who's five and three? Are They're the best team in the AFC. Right, And there's there's flaws with everybody. The Chargers in the playoffs flaws, Buffalo's flaws, Pittsburgh, oh my gosh, flaws, right, you know, New England, and there's still new kids on the block. Right after that is Jacksonville and Houston. Flaws everywhere the NFC. I go Green Bay, Oh my gosh, no flaws. Just play better, You're amazing. Philadelphia, Oh my gosh, no flaws. Just play a little more efficient on offense. You're amazing. Tampa Bay, you're awesome. Just get healthy, and you're elite. Detroit, do I have to say anymore? I mean, we know Detroit's elite. The Rams, the Seahawks are a super Bowl like caliber football team with their defense and all of that. So I just look at the NFC and go, oh my gosh, Wow, now you're gonna make me pick one.
Speaker 3: Wooh, I feel Detroit right now. That's what I feel. Now.
Speaker 7: They got to get healthy in the secondary too. But I think if you made me pick one, I'm gonna take Detroit. But it is close in the NFC and there's a lot of teams in that Super Bowl window. The best team that plays in so Fi Stadium is is definitely the Rams. The Rams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Chargers.
Speaker 7: The offensive line injuries just decimated them right and now they can't run the ball and it's justin Herbert just carry us every week on that side of the ball. They are very good in past defense, but they don't have enough difference makers in their front seven. With the Chargers, the Rams are the Rams can win the Super Bowl. I don't feel that way about the Chargers.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go your alma mater, Texas. Steve Sarkesian, there was a report that said that he or his people were kicking the tires on him being a head coach in the NFL.
Speaker 3: What do you make of that?
Speaker 7: I don't really buy that now do I think maybe one of these owners that's looking to get a head coach might have said something to Diana Russini or somebody.
Speaker 3: Out there to go. Yeah, Steve Sarkisian, we're looking at him too. Did that happen?
Speaker 7: I don't doubt that, do I think Steve sark Do I think the NFL is clamoring for Steve Sarkisian.
Speaker 3: No, not right now.
Speaker 7: Especially Wait, you had the number one pick of the draft and he's fallen to one seventy one. Here the offense doesn't look good, like, this is not the time you want to get Steve Sarkisian in. And the other thing I would just argue is, I mean, there's not a better job in sports than being the head coach at Texas. You get paid like you're a big time professional head coach and you're the king of the land, as you know, and they got a roll into Texas. They're not playing as good this year, But yeah, I don't see that happening.
Speaker 3: Dan. What do you make of arch as arch turned the corner here?
Speaker 7: Well, I was the fourth quarter I thought was his best quarter last week of this of his season. Right, he made some throws and some plays where I went move. There's the Arch manning I remember and saw a little last year and all that. I think that you know, his mechanics and is throwing just we're not up to his standards or the way he threw it last year and when he got in and I think Dan, when it happens, and you know this, when you don't throw the ball well and you don't trust where the ball is going to go, it starts to affect your decision making. And I feel like that happened with him as well. Plus they weren't able to run the ball the majority of the year or help him out that way.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean Archill, he's going to be back at school.
Speaker 7: There's no way he should go out in the draft, and you know, I think that'll be good for him and my Texas Longhorns.
Speaker 2: Okay, but every year at the draft we talk about next year's draft class. With quarterbacks, it's usually not this draft class. So people were talking about this at the draft in Green Bay about oh my god, wait till next year. Well, I know there's one guy who might be a top ten pick, and that's Mendoza in Indiana, I'm guessing, and that's mel Kiper talked about this. You got guys who are going to be going back to school like they're not coming out.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, like Dante Moore has that type of talent. I hope he goes goes back to Oregon, though I'd like to see him get one more year and experience there. I think it'll help him out. The guy I would tell you, though, that I would put every bit in Mendoza's class is the kid at Alabama, Ty Simpson.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean he makes more wow plays and throws to me on a weekly basis than than even than Mendoza.
Speaker 3: But there's some good quarterbacks out there.
Speaker 7: You're right, but it's gonna be about who comes out and yes, Dan, every year, unqualified people make qualifying statements about the draft and what's going to happen next year. You know, cade Klubnick I was watching it last year. I was like, if he's the number one pick next year, people were saying that he's a top five pick.
Speaker 3: I'm going, are we watching the same game? He's a good player, But Myer, uh right, right, Nutsmyer.
Speaker 7: I think has fought through some injury and I do think there's some talent there. I think he had an oblique strain. I think that affected his throwing this year. But yeah, it hasn't been up to the standards of what we were you know, sold in.
Speaker 3: The in the last offseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just we love to hype these quarterbacks and then I know, quarterback, quarterback, and then we blame them when they don't live up to our expectation.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, exactly right. It's a messed up thing.
Speaker 7: And that's where I always bray, I blame Brady and Manning because just all those years of those teams being good and then being the quarterbacks, it just changed the public's perception of like, well, if you've got a quarterback, you should win every year. If you got a quarterback, you should win every year. And as we know, it's the ultimate team sport, and if you don't got the right team around you, you're not going to look that good at quarterback.
Speaker 2: More impactful as a quarterback Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, Oh, as far as style and everything they brought, you know, Peyton changed the game.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, and Tom changed the game too. Now they did it in different ways. I can tell you in their prime, right that when Peyton Manning came to town, our team was more nervous than Tom Brady. All right, When Tom Brady came to town, it was like, oh gosh, it's the Patriots in Belichick and Brady right when it was the Cults. The whole, the whole locker room and the coaching staff was like the Sheriff's coming. Peyton's coming, Peyton's coming. Oh, red alert, get your defensive checks ready. Holy crap, here we go. Hey Sims, you're the scout team quarterback. Can you be Peyton many this week?
Speaker 3: We needed to spend fake ninety seven checks and do it all. So wait, Peyton Manning. I always had to do Peyton Manning, especially in Tennessee. I always did it. I'd go and I took great pride in doing that. How did it sound, give me a little Peyton man Well, you know, I just had all his manner rhythms down.
Speaker 7: You know, I'd be underneath the center and I'd fix my hit leg and I'd walk down and go down and you know, and.
Speaker 3: Do all that stuff.
Speaker 7: I didn't exactly emulate his accent or do anything of that. But man, that's where Peyton Manning is one of the greatest ever, right, he really was. So he changed the game as far as giving control back to the quarterback at the line of scrimmage and do all that stuff right and putting more on the quarterback.
Speaker 3: That's where he changed the game.
Speaker 7: Brady changed the game, and he changes throwing mechanics once to extend his.
Speaker 3: Career and become a better thrower.
Speaker 7: And of course what he did health and longevity wise, So there's a little bit of both x's and o's and football wise. I'll go with Peyton Manning off the field, lasting, keeping yourself and tiptop shape.
Speaker 3: I go with Tom Brady.
Speaker 7: Good to talk to you. You know it, man, you're the man. Tell those jerks, I said, high over there right.
Speaker 3: Hey jerks. Chris says you, hey, jerks, how are you jerks?
Speaker 2: See you later, Chris Sims Pro Football Talk Live co host.
Speaker 1: We'll take a break. Our play of the day is next. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Oh my god, the play of the day.
Speaker 3: This is the play of the day. Check this out you one. Laddie hits it high left field, hurting into back hold the track, looks up, it is gone. Pluck a top. Vladimir Carrero Junior.
Speaker 7: Puts them in the lead with a two run shot two one Blue Jays in the top of the.
Speaker 2: Third in the playoffs, twenty six hit seven, Homer's fourteen RBIs They're all Blue Jays franchise records for a single postseason.
Speaker 3: That is your play of the day.
Speaker 2: Getting a new job can be so much easier with the Express Employment Professionals. Express you'll have a local connection to the job market. Get started at expresspros dot com. Find a location nearest to you, that's expresspros dot com.
Speaker 3: You want to give us.
Speaker 2: The pull updates there, we'll hear from Michael Jordan coming up at the top of the hour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got up there right now. Who is tonight's game? More must winish for? Sorry for whom right now? Dodgers have fifty three percent of that voat just Win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree show. Hey Otani is still your MVP favorite? Vlad Guerrero. I don't think you'll see somebody who loses the World Series get an MVP. I think it happened one other time, and it might have been a Yankee second baseman Bobby Richardson.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's correct, nineteen sixty World Series.
Speaker 2: And that's the one that the Pirates won right and the walk off home run by Mazarowski, but Blad Guerrero's numbers are incredible in the entire postseason, but it's it's basically Sho Hay and Vlad Guerrero Junior the third, although if Yamamoto pitches another complete game and they go on to win the World Series, he might be the guy. Freddie Freeman long odds. Alejandro Kirk has better odds than Yamamoto and Freddie Freeman. So it's show hey, minas one sixty Vlad plus three hundred. You had a Let's see, Chuck Howley was a linebacker for the Cowboys. They lost the Super Bowl the Colts, and that was Super Bowl five, and he got the MVP.
Speaker 3: Can't.
Speaker 2: Jerry West was the most outstanding player in the NBA Finals and they lost to the Celtics, I believe, and he averaged forty a game and he got the MVP.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauline, Yeah, that was in sixty nine.
Speaker 5: So basically in the three major sports, it's happened three times and not in the modern era. It doesn't seem like the media would ever do that again in this what like, let's say, Otani just keeps tearing it up and really tears it up and the Dodgers lost. You could easily make the case he was the most valuable person on the field for the seven games, But I can't see the media actually doing that vote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I'm going to guess Vlad Guerrero if the Blue Jays win, Vlad Guerrero is going to have a large hand in this, and I don't I don't think you want to set precedent here where you go, you know, show hey, if sho hey pitched great last night, then you know, maybe, but I can't he would probably get a voter to for MVP. I'm guessing because I'm I'm sure there are guys on losing teams who have gotten an MVP vote.
Speaker 3: Maybe, yes, ton Yeah.
Speaker 8: That just seems very awkward and strange, like you feel like you have to They're the winning team. You got to pick somebody from the winning team, even if there's someone on the opposing team that just had better stats over the course of the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seemed weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but you know, there's still a lot of baseball left to be played, and starting, you know, tonight, Game five, and then you go back to Toronto eight seven seven, to three DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show Brent in Vegas, Hi, Brent, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Good morning, Dan, first time, really long time. First I want to say thank you to you and the Dan h. My question is baseball and missing opportunity here by not spacing out the World Series games. If you think about it, he started at seven games. It goes the whole full series to be done in all of nine days.
Speaker 2: Well, I think see, we complain when it's too many days in between games. I like the fact that it's bang bang bang here, but you're also going up against the NFL. You got a Thursday night game. The fact that you're going to go you know, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and then you're gonna go Friday and Saturday. I'm all for it. The NBA Finals it stretched out. It felt like it was a month when I was covering that. Too many days in between, But everybody is trying to pick a day where you can have a standalone or you don't have competition, and if you do have competition, you don't want NFL competition, and that's what baseball is trying to do.
Speaker 3: So I'm okay with it.
Speaker 2: I do think it taxes the pitching staffs here with with you know, today's analytics, that would be the only thing that I would probably push back on. I'd like to be able to see better pitching or you're able to use your pitchers.
Speaker 3: Yes, Ton, from a player.
Speaker 8: Standpoint, I can understand, on one hand, you want a little extra rest, But if you're the winning team, you want to take that motivation and the momentum and get right back out there. And same for the losing team. We just lost, we don't want to sit and deal with that for a couple of days. The fast we can get back out there and even things up. So I would think both teams would want to play the next day as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're the Dodgers and you had an eighteen inning win and a walk off win, and that excitement kind of carries over into last night, or at least you think it's going to. We got Otani on the mound, and then the Blue Jays are like, let's get rid of that feeling here, let's go right in and start playing. Boom, we get a home run from Vlad Guerrero. Now we're back. Now we have the momentum. I thought it was great. I'm fine with that where you get back to back because we normally don't do that in most sports. You drag it out, and I remember those Bulls series. It just felt like it was forever, and it was. And they never went to a seventh game either. Mike only got to sixth games. I think by choice. He was like, I'm I'm I don't need to go to a game. Flad Well Sege. Mike talks about load management coming up one hour in the books, Fritzy's Here, Seaton, Mark Paulliers truly and the back room guys back after this