Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from coast to coast with Caroline Hyde in New York and Eva Low in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up. AI's money race. Alphabet will raise eighty billion dollars while Mthropic makes its IPI move.
Speaker 3: The confidential filing is in at the SEC.
Speaker 4: Thus Elo Musk SpaceX is negotiating to pay raiser thin fees to Wall Street firms handling its IPO, and.
Speaker 2: HPE sows after its annual sales outlook beat estimates on the back of massive demand for AI infrastructure. Will be joined by CEO Antonio Neri.
Speaker 5: But there is so.
Speaker 4: Much going on in the meantime, and we start the show off with today's big number, ed it's eighty billion dollars. Look, Alphabet sees that seventy five billion dollars being raised SpaceX in its IPO and just says, poll ho, my beer, I'm going to do eighty billion. We're seeing it being distributed in really novel ways, maybe trying to limit some of that dilution and more broadly, but eighty billion dollars in future equity raise to finance AI infrastructure does have an impact on the stock. Now, we're going to have a little look at how we're currently are seeing shares of Alphabet slightly under pressure on the day, but only slightly.
Speaker 5: We're down by nineteen percent.
Speaker 4: We've actually come off of our lows amid what has been some anxiety in the market more broadly, but dig into what this equity issuance really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's what we need to know about the package. It includes a ten billion dollar Berkshire half away investment, thirty billion in public offerings, and then a forty billion so called at the market program ATM to sell shares from time to time beginning in the third quarter. That means starting on July first. Together, the transactions represent one of the largest equity deals of all time, and basically it's just a cap to expendit this story. We know from Alphabet this is how much CAPEX will be this year, and we know that it's going to go up and BI has an even bigger number.
Speaker 4: Let's get into what BI is all about. Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Roma Schiffman is joining us who have analysis out on this today, saying this raise marks an important funding signal for Hyperscalers as infrastructure spending moves along a.
Speaker 5: Multi trillion dollar path.
Speaker 4: They're already raised eighty five billion dollars Robert in the credit market, and now they turn to the equity market. What does it mean more broadly for the size of the money that is needed by Hyperscalers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, put the beer away. Technology companies are popping champagne bottles right now.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 6: I've come on this show time and time again said I've never been more bullish on the tech sector, and I think this move is wildly bullish. To get such a boost of confidence from arguably the world's greatest investor in Berkshire Hathaway, to go against all everything I've learned in math camp, where the weighted average cost of capital suggest you're supposed to be issuing more debt and instead obviously alphabet is so confident in Rois on their investments to be able to raise this much money, To have this big of a kiddy certainly suggest that spending this year they said was going to go up significantly. Now our friends that our an equity team are saying they might spend as much as three hundred billion next year in capex.
Speaker 3: Robert, stay with us.
Speaker 2: We have some breaking news crossing the Bloomberg terminal red headline. Trump to get audit immunity even as one point eight billion fund in doubt. Basically, US officials are continuing with this agreement that bars the government from probing past tax filings of President Trump and his businesses. This is Bloomberg reporting. According to a source, there is a plan to set up an anti weaponization fund that's now on hold. We're going to bring you more details of that story as we get it. But coming from Bloomberg virus source, Trump to get audit immunity even as a one point eight billion fund is now in doubt.
Speaker 3: Let's get back to our top story.
Speaker 2: Alphabet raising eight hundred billion dollars in equity to raise in different structures. Just said it is so important because Alphabet has held our hand on this a little bit. So capital expenditure one hundred and ninety billion dollars in the current period of the year. They said it would be higher, you know, going into twenty seven. You just reference the BI number, which is like capex could be three hundred billion dollars for a year.
Speaker 3: Am I right? Am I misspeaking? Yeah? I think that sounds the numbers are noise.
Speaker 6: Listen, the biggest hyperscalers are spending close to eight hundred billion dollars cumulatively this year. I think it's going to be well over a trillion next year and five trillion over the next five years. So they're sort of searching the globe for all different sources of capital. It's summertime. The pool is open for raising capital, whether it's equity, public debt, private debt, currencies across the globe. Everyone wants to have a little bit a piece of AI and this is the way to get it. Again. I think it's it's so bullish because there's so much capital on the sidelines that's willing to fund this. The beauty of issuing equity here. It's actually not the first time somebody's done it. Oracle did this earlier in the year. I'm saying they were going to issue twenty five billion dollars of equity. It's super positive obviously from a credit perspective. It helps create and protect healthy balance sheets. I think going forward, what it also means our stock buybacks are going to be lower. You're not going to be issuing eighty billion dollars of stock and then start buying stockback anytime. We've actually already start to see slowdowns in stock buybacks, and I think over the next year you're going to see more of that, and you might see more equity issuance. And part of that is because spending is going so much higher. And I think it's because the confidence level in monetization of AI is finally coming to fruition, and we saw that in first quarter results.
Speaker 2: I think I misspoke a second ago and said eight hundred billion, but they will raise eighty eight zero billion, still big numbers. Robert Schiffman, a Bloomberg Intelligence Thank you. This is about a race for capital. Our other top story, Anthropic has confidentially filed to go public, pulling ahead of rival Open AI in the IPO race. More, let's speak with Bloomberg's AI reporter, Sharing Gafari. Yeah, yesterday was wild, right, and the confidential filing, the Anthropic blog post announcing it. There's nothing in there, no price range, no terms of the offering, so there's a lot we don't know.
Speaker 3: Try and tell us what we do know at this point.
Speaker 7: That's right, So it's short on details because it is a confidential filing. And the financials are not public. However, Anthropic has as of yesterday submitted a draft s one to go public, pulling ahead of Open an Eye, which is also expected to be filing as soon as in the coming weeks. CEO Sam Altman reacted to that in an interview yesterday, saying that the company will go public when it more or less when it feels like it or one wants to, and not not sort of before it's ready. So still some uncertainty about one exactly Anthropic competitor will and Anthropic has now pulled ahead to be the first to pull that trigger with the filing. That being said, what do we know about Anthropic, Well, its revenue has been growing at rapid pace. It's now reached an annualized run rate revenue projection of forty seven billion in annual revenue. You know, there's been The CEO has said that they had an eighty x increase in that kind of projection in the first quarter compared to the on an annual basis, So extreme revenue growth but also still high cost.
Speaker 4: It does feel that the momentum the wind is behind Anthropic at this point, showing shouldn't we be the thinking of it as some sort of race to go public.
Speaker 5: That seems to be a lot of the narrative.
Speaker 7: I think there's no denying that you have three major AI firms SpaceX which now is an AI company because of Xai, and then open A and Anthropic, all going public or all talking about going public or planning to in the span of several months, and some of the filings here happening within weeks. So I think it's undeniable that there is this race dynamic, much like there is with their technical products, and of course going first could help set the narrative there. You know, some are questioning how much money Wall Street has to devote to these AI stocks and will the firms who go earlier absorb more of that. That being said, there's also a lot of pent up demand for getting in on the AI boom. These companies that the core AI only companies and Jennai have not been public until now. So it remains to be seen how much of an advantage there is to going first, but there certainly is this competitive dynamic in the IPO discussion right now.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg, stre and Gafari, great to have your analysis, Thanks so much. Coming on now, some news crossing the terminal that Guy Rosen, he's met as chief information security Officer, was previously oversaw the company's election integrity work. He's departing in the coming months now, it's all according to an internal post review by Bloomberg. Meta has begun a search for his replacement, the post said, and Rosen will stay at the company in the meantime. But let's get back to those IPOs, to the so called race the frenzy.
Speaker 5: Emily's Agnes with us.
Speaker 4: She is the senior venture capital research analyst at pitch pick Emany is there a risk that oxygen is being.
Speaker 5: Sucked out of the room. The fact that we've got.
Speaker 4: All of these mega IPOs just tell us the numbers that you've crunched of just how significant the wall of a new equity coming to this market is.
Speaker 8: Yes, we're really in uncharted territory. Just for a context, looking at the past ten years, it's one point five trillion dollars in terms of all of the USVC backed public listings, and SpaceX alone would be greater than that decade long figure. And in terms of the number of IPO proceeds that are being raised. SpaceX is looking at seventy five billion, opening eye Anthropic or looking at a combined one hundred billion dollars, and that is again greater than all the IPO proceeds that have been raised in the past decade. So really we're in uncharted territory in terms of how gargantium and these mega IPOs are.
Speaker 2: What I find interesting about this is it it could all happen at the same time. So what Sharene did was recap what we know. The s one is in confidentially from Enthropic. SpaceX will price June eleventh, trade soon after maybe open AI goes in September. Is it possible for all of that to happen in the balance of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 8: No, that's a really good question, and I think, like Shrey mentioned, like there is a lot of pent up demand, but it's also such a big number, and I think all eyes will really be on the SpaceX ipo to see how the demand actually plays out and if it's actually sustain has substance, because if the SpaceX ipo flops, then potentially Anthropic might wait until later to go public until the volatility evens out. So a confidential filing is one necessary step to go in public, but it's not necessarily a guarantee that it'll happen in the next few months or even the next year.
Speaker 4: What so interesting is we're almost coming back to this circularity issue.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: You think about how Anthropic is paying one point two five billion dollars per month to SpaceX for compute, then we really get the documented files that are currently just private to us and to the SEC at the moment, the SEC has got its hands on the filing coming from Anthropic. Eventually, when we understanding them look at them, we'll see how much they're reliant on Google or on Amazon. How much is this a worry for investors? How much could this be an impact for those VC investors are also invested in many of the same names.
Speaker 8: Yes, the AI cycle is so like interconnected and also like on top of their like thirty percent of US VC bat starrups are AI native for AI adjacent, So all eyes are really emphasizing trying to see if this AI valuations and these pricings are able to be uphelm because so much of the market is interdependent and also depending on this technology to move forward and eventually become profitable. So I think this is really the big question for VC right now, and that's why there's so much emphasis on these big names and these upcoming listings.
Speaker 3: Emily, it's more than that.
Speaker 2: It's not just the commonalities on the cap tables, SpaceX, Anthropic, open AI. They're all pitching the same thing. Is there any precedent in history that gives us a warning signal about that three companies trying to occupy the same lane.
Speaker 8: Oh, that's a really interesting question. And I feel like in terms of something like such a transformative technology that hasn't seen something in the public markets, I don't think we've had such a similar precedent, and that's why I think this day and age is really really interesting to see how these megal listenings will play out.
Speaker 2: Pitchbox, SEMy Jane. Great to have you on the program. Thank you very much. Now coming up elon Musk SpaceX is shooting for the moon with the biggest IPO. But when it comes to the banks must keeping their fees in lower fourbit We're gonna have the details next.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 4: You know Musks SpaceX Well, it's negotiating to pay one of the lowest of underwriting fees.
Speaker 5: I was expected to be the largest ever IPO.
Speaker 4: So also say the company is amy in a rate less than zero point seventy five percent for the seventy five.
Speaker 5: Billion dollars it aims to raise.
Speaker 4: Let's get more Bloomberg Finance report to CASN doher Dy. That is the idea here that look er, point seventy five percent of seventy five billion is still quite a lot of money.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 9: I mean, split among twenty plus banks, it's five hundred millions. So if you're really gonna think about Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs, who are leading this IPO, they're the ones that are going to see the biggest benefit. But across the board, it's not a bad payday for the bank, so they're.
Speaker 5: Really happy to be there.
Speaker 9: And you're seeing that the negotiation power is really for SpaceX. They are working with all of these banks, but again they're the ones that are saying, we want to show up and we want to help you come to the market in this historical moment across Wall Street.
Speaker 3: That's a really great point.
Speaker 2: I mean, when I've been speaking to people on the SpaceX side, you know their answer on this as well. Elon mus is a very good negotiator.
Speaker 3: But even if the.
Speaker 2: Bank fees are like you know, I don't know what we're talking fifty to sixty basis points. Whenever it ends up being of an IPO where they raise seventy five billion, they go to a two trillion valuation, whatever ends up being, they'll do fine, right, Catherine, They'll be okay, They'll.
Speaker 5: Do absolutely fine.
Speaker 9: This is something that they can also tout in quarters moving forward, and we have other IPOs that are coming down the pipeline. So really, this is again this moment in history that all of the banks want to have their names tied to. It's going to lead to future IPOs that they can work on. It's going to lead to more fees that they can end up paying their bankers. And they're hoping that this is just the start, but it is supposed to be a very strong start.
Speaker 5: I mean, we've just been talking about how strong it could be.
Speaker 4: If we've got Anthropic already fighting with the SEC, if we've got open AI hot on the heels. How important is it for these bank becers. How much anxiety is there that this has got to go really well?
Speaker 9: I think that they've all been preparing for this moment. It's all of the talking points that the bank CEOs and all of the heads of investment banking, they've all been saying, we've seen green shoots, we are expecting based on our strong pipeline. Think about how many times the word pipeline has been talked about, but no one has talked about, I mean, moving beyond the pipeline.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about the deals.
Speaker 9: Let's talk about the billions of dollars that could come to the public markets. They're hoping that this sets a precedent that is going to lead to future fees that is going to keep the ball rolling.
Speaker 2: Belus Caerine Doherty on one of the most read stories so far today, Thank you. We're going to get more in the impact of the SpaceX IPO from SpaceX employee number one and now CEO of Impulse Space, which itself raised five hundred million in a new funding round. We speak with Tom Muller next. This is Bloomberg Tech. Impulse Space, led by SpaceX alumni SpaceX veteran Tom Muller, has just hit a massive four billion dollar valuation. The company raised five hundred million dollars to scale its space tugs or spacecraft that can hold satellites across different orbits. Joining us now is Impulse Space founder and CEO Tom Mulla. Tom, it's great to have you on Bloomberg Tech. I've been able to spend some time with you in SOCO right. Look at the facility, see what you're building. And you've always been super honest, like space is hard, difficult to get there five hundred million in one go. Just explain how that gets you to this world where you are like the traffic conductor in lower for a bit, moving different orbital planes for different satellites.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, you know there's a lot happening in space right now, and we're here. We basically take over where launch leaves off. So you know, Larne vehicles like you know, like spacexfil can get you to lower th Robit and we take you everywhere else. We move you around within orbits, and we have vehicles, very high energy vehicles that can take you out to very high energy orbits or out to the moon, tomors and beyond.
Speaker 3: The very high energy bit. Is that I find super fascinating.
Speaker 2: You were demoing for me the propulsion technology you've worked on, so to explain how it works.
Speaker 3: But I think also like for a lot of the audience.
Speaker 2: Why is it necessary to move whatever the satellite is from one position in orbit to another?
Speaker 3: What would cause that?
Speaker 10: So in the in if you're talking about, helios are a very high, high energy product. You know, most satellites that want to get to geosynchronous orbit, like the very high or twenty two thousand miles out typically get typically get dropped off in the lower orbit and then and then they end up in a transfer orbit, and it can take months to get there. With Helios, we can get you there in one day.
Speaker 11: We just we have it.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 10: It's basically a rocket on our rockets. It's got a big tank full of propellant and a very high energy pump fed engine on it, and it does a couple of burns and gets you to a high energy orbit. It can also take you, like a way more payload to the Moon, or to Mars, or to the outer planets.
Speaker 4: Helios, the larger is meant to be flying what in twenty twenty seven, you've already had the mirrocraft flying three missions and that was the first launch in November twenty twenty five. Al most recently in twenty twenty five. I'm interested what one hundred million dollars buys you because, as Ed says, space is hard, but it's it's also expensive.
Speaker 10: Yes, So we've more than double the size of the company in the last year, and we're continuing to hire. We've got a new facility here that we're building out. We've just got a lot of work in all sectors, you know, commercial, NASA, and government. So we're addressing all that work and we're building the highways to the space economy.
Speaker 4: You were, of course integral to the propulsion over at SpaceX, and we think now of the SpaceX mafia that's about to be created by the end of this month, and how much money that might infuse new space technologists, new founders. What does that moment mean to you for SpaceX to go public.
Speaker 10: I mean, this is this is great for building a space economy. And what I say now often is that I think the true space age is starting now. I think we're going to start building megastructures in space, which we're seeing with you know, a million days. ATA Servers was already talked about using the resources of the Moon, which is something I've been talking about since before I started this company. H this is this is the things that we're super excited for. This is this is the reason I started this company. This is the reason that employees joined to do really cool things. We're super excited about this permanent uh Moon base that's been announced by by NASA. This this is exactly what.
Speaker 3: We want to do.
Speaker 2: You know, Tom, part of visiting with you in SOCOW is like there's a ripple effect. There are there are companies born out of SpaceX's growth. There is a network of people that are SpaceX alumni. When this biggest ip of all time happens, what do you think the economic effect will be for your industry?
Speaker 10: Gig atic? I think, you know, I grew up in the Star Trek area the original series, and I felt like some you know, by the time in this age there would we be living in a Star Trek world. And I still think we're going to get there. And you've got to imagine that in a Star Trek world, the space economy is a big the biggest part of the economy right now, the space economy single digit of the global economy. And I think we're going to get there where space, by that measure, will grow faster than any other sector.
Speaker 4: It's space, It's also defense tech, and we think about the billions that the administration wants to put to work in a so called Golden dome, and I'm interested as to how that is going at the moment, how the intercept to work that we understand you've been doing with andrel how that progresses at this moment.
Speaker 13: Tom.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we're here to just provide advanced solutions. You know, the government needs to move around, they need to protect their assets, and we're here to help out however we can.
Speaker 2: Tom, do you think we'll be in a place where, like this year or next you'll have a demo for the tech or the work vendoral we're talking about space based in incepts technically, is that a realistic timeline for the next twelve to eighteen months.
Speaker 10: I can't talk about the specifics of these programs.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this one final question on the SpaceX IPO. Yeah, reflect on how hard it was those early years for you and now how you got to this point. I know you're no longer with the company, but it's a part of the story real quick.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: You know, we always said we knew what it would be hard, and it was harder than we thought. That I'm super proud of what we achieved. It's I mean amazing that this company that I was employee number one is now a trillion dollar company. It's just, you know, amazing.
Speaker 5: And now we wonder where Impulse Space goes.
Speaker 4: Now worth four billion dollars and a five hundred million dollar rais fascinating. Thank you the found the CEO, Tom Mulla there coming up. Perplexity makes a big bet on the future of how AI workloads get done. We're speaking with a CEO out of in strinav Strinavus.
Speaker 5: Next, this is bluebo Tech.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Bloombo Tech. There is so much going on around the world. We're looking at the US listed shares of ten Cent, which follow the Asia listed shares in absolutely storing up eleven percent a report that they are bringing out an AI agent version of we Chat, and right now in this AI story, it's so in line with everything that's happening that trading has really come over into the US session and the stock up eleven percent. We're going to keep an eye on that one. And then the power of a few words from probably the world's most important figure in AI. I would play you the SoundBite, but by the time we hit play it be over. Jensen One walked on stage at Computext in Taiwan and said the next trillion dollar company about Marvel.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's the story, and the stock is up almost thirty percent as a consequence, and copy text in Taiwan has put the spotlight on the companies that are building the hardware behind the AI boom. For more on the latest developments, Bloomberg's in king who leads our semiconductive coverages with us. Probably I was going to say the most substance. We can debate that, but for the industry, one of the most important stories was sk Heinex coming out and saying pledging we are going to double our capacity over a certain timeline.
Speaker 3: Could you just take that.
Speaker 2: Explain why sk Heinex is important and why that commitment kind of was a big deal for the chip industry.
Speaker 14: S Knix is the second largest maker of computer memory chips. There's a massive memory shortage right now because of the massive amount of memory required for data centers. So Heinix coming out and indicating, hey, we're going to step on it in terms of putting more capacity in place in general helps it means okay, well, we'll get enough memory chips, maybe this growth story can continue. But the big caveat here is Cheteun, the chairman of this company. He said previously we could be losing money tomorrow. He's been very careful in the outlook for this market and he hasn't given a specific timeline here, and that would be really important. That would tell you exactly what's going on.
Speaker 4: It's really fascinating some of the details we do get out of com and I think that's really still on the thunder. Yesterday it was all about in Videa's announcements and then the negative impact I had on the likes of Intel AMD and we're waiting on Qualcom. What have you heard from some of the other companies throughout the couple of days.
Speaker 14: Well, I mean you mentioned Qualcom, you mentioned Intel, and obviously in video. One thing they all agree on is robots ain't happening as fast as we'd like. And they've all come out with essentially the same story, which is, we're going to give you hardware, We're going to give you software, We're going to give you all of the tools to bring humanoid robots to market faster. And all of these companies and others too have said that this is one of the next big markets.
Speaker 11: This is going to.
Speaker 14: Be something that really changes the economy and brings AI into the home, the office, the factory, and really makes it that pervasive story that it has to become to support this spending.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Zy and King with the download from computext, thank you very much. It's not just chip makers pitching the furniture of computing. It computexts Perplexity took the stage with Intel to unveil what it calls the world's first hybrid local server AGENTIC inference orchestrator, a phrase that sounds like it was generated by AI itself. Here with more Perplexity, Ceo Arab and Shrinibas Aravin is great to have you back on the show. I spent all morning thinking about how do I explain this, and basically, the.
Speaker 3: Orchestrator is there.
Speaker 2: It's a piece of software to decide whether a or a part of an AI workload is best done locally on device at the edge, or if it needs the superior computing of cloud server.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Have I kind of nailed what you're trying to solve for here?
Speaker 3: That's correct?
Speaker 13: So yeah, thank you for having me again, And that is exactly correct. You don't want all your compute centralized in gigantic servers and everything running through the largest frontier models. You're already reading reports of how people are freaking out about their token costs. Some people are spending half a billion dollars per month per engineer. What you actually want is efficient token value per w per user. And that requires orchestrating privacy, accuracy, intelligence, and costs all together in one single, unified system. And that orchestration capability requires hybrid model between server side and the local and that's what we demoed today with Intel. And we're actually chip agnostics, so our solution works with Intel, it works with NVIDRTX. So just like how we've been model agnostic, we've planned to be chip agnostic here.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. So my next question was going to be why Intel? You know, what is it about Intel's role in the AIPC market and on the service side that makes it work. But if you're agnostic, what's the breakthrough that you've cracked, Like, if you've written the software, what is it you've managed to achieve in how those spaceloads are diverted. Okay, go go a bit further.
Speaker 13: So, like I said, you want one single system to route across models, files, tools, chips, servers and decide when to use which model, or when to use your local file system, your local Subasian model, your local LM, or when to use a frontier model for depending on tasks and the prompt or depending on the confidentiality and sensitivity if your files or apps. That requires you to make clever orchestration decisions balance trade offs between accuracy and costs. And that's what we're doing in our software and that computer essentially an operating system that balances all these different objectives simultaneously.
Speaker 4: I mean, you sit in such an interesting place as an orchestrator, whether it be letting people use your own hind house models, whether it's using a mix of third party.
Speaker 5: Models, and the third party models are up to or not right now, I don't haven.
Speaker 4: I just want to get your take on how you feel about competitive modes or competitive threats. If these big companies Anthropic, Open AI, SpaceX all go public in the next few months.
Speaker 13: We actually love and Thropic, Open Ai, Xai, all these frontier labs. Every time any of their AI gets better. Our unified system also gets better because we route across all of them. We basically think of Perplexity computer as taking the best of all AI and putting it together in one single unified interface and system. So all of you know how much Anthropics models have improved since the beginning of the year. What has it led to for us? Our revenue actually tripled since the beginning of the year. It's just been five months in the year and our revenue is already tripled to what that's So we're actually like very happy with all these companies's progress, and they completely deserve their I pos, so we're very excited for them.
Speaker 4: Can I follow up to you able to discuss what that revenues jumped to. There were reports in the that you're up about four hundred and fifty million dollars just.
Speaker 5: In the March.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we crossed that. I think I publicly tweeted that we cross five hundred million about some somewhere around mid April. We are announcing new numbers yet, but we're doing really well.
Speaker 3: Irvin.
Speaker 2: I've been thinking a lot about where Perplexity sits in the suite of available tools and technologies. Right research seems to be a really interesting place with Perplexity, And I'm wondering how you measure the engagement on the platform, so like it's not just like one query and done, but do you kind of track the time that an individual desk or user would stick with one query as sort of indication of success, you know, how the platform is being used, the behaviors of the userbase.
Speaker 13: So we're actually not trying to maximize engagement per user in the sense we're not actually trying to keep them longer on the platform or something. In fact, like accuracy is somewhat like towards the opposite end of that, Like if you give the user an accurate answer in the first turn, it's likely that they're not going to continue in the same chat. What we actually look at is like retentive uses, like if the same user is using Perplexity for a lot more research tasks, not just like that one single task that came with And that's that's always been the case. For example, we introduce a max plan and that's already like you know, at the beginning of the year in terms of subscriptions split between the max plan that is a two hundred dollars month plan versus the pro plan was someone like nine is to ninety one.
Speaker 11: Today it's more like thirties to seventy. So I think that that already.
Speaker 13: Shows that there are these power users who are willing to pay like two thousand dollars a year out of pocket. This is not even a enterprise because they love these superior research and orchestration and accuracy that we bring in our product.
Speaker 5: Interesting, so we're seeing the growth.
Speaker 4: You're talking about your revenue run rate right tripling, going up to almost five million dollars. I'm interested as to where the combative nature does come in because it looks like you're playing well with all the other players out there.
Speaker 5: But there are some issues in the courts.
Speaker 4: In particular, CNN, for example, has just the latest to hit you with a lawsuit alledging that you violated federal copyright laws. How are you dealing with how people get paid and what you train upon and what you feed and source to us as a user.
Speaker 13: I mean, the fact of the matter is that like, nobody has any copyright over truth and facts. Like I think we've been consistent with our position. We're very confident in our position, and we will let the legal process, you know, decide what the right thing is in that.
Speaker 11: Pretty close situation.
Speaker 13: I don't want to comment further on that, but nobody has any copyright over truth.
Speaker 4: In facts, perplexity CEO staying up late. It is like eleven thirty pm with you. We so appreciate you coming back after your Yeah, jet lag works worldwide out of industry in ourse safe flight back from Taiwan.
Speaker 5: We appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Now. Look, the AI build out maybe bigger and longer than investors actually expect. Our CEO Rene Haas has been telling Bloombog that demand from memory and compute could keep growing for years, and says the industry's biggest customers may need to share more of the cost.
Speaker 5: He's worked exclusively with Bloomog. Stephen engel Over at computext too. You take a listen.
Speaker 15: I would say one thing that's different about what we're seeing right now is the amount of compute that artificial intelligence requires is quite significant to anything before it, and it touches every single industry. It touches everything around humanity. Everyone on the planet will have some interaction with AI, whether it's AI indirectly or directly, but it affects everyone. If you think about world GDP one hundred and thirty trillion dollars, knowledge work white collar work being maybe a thirty trillion dollar market. That is a large market which today is largely under tapped. So is memory going to be short till twenty thirty? I don't know not. But could I see this demand continuing much longer than people have ever seen historically? That I do believe.
Speaker 16: So do you maybe look back at twenty twenty three and there wasn't enough investment because a lot of memory chip makers were having trouble. Absolutely, they just didn't build in that capacity or foresee the demand that was going to shoot through the roof like it is now.
Speaker 15: If the folks at Micron, Samsung, s K Hunts, they have tough jobs, and in twenty twenty two, twenty twenty three, they're all losing money and.
Speaker 16: Now they're in the trillion dollar valuations.
Speaker 15: The trillion dollar club. But cautious, right because they look at that and say, if I overbuild, where will I be when the supply crunch eases up? But I do think you may see some more innovative business models. Would hyperscalers be investing in fabs? Would there be more equity partnerships around that, so it's a secure supply. I think that's quite possible.
Speaker 16: Well yeah, so what kind of resiliency needs to be built into the system so you don't have such peaks and troughs.
Speaker 15: There needs to be a shared system, right, shared shared risk, shared investment, shared risk. I think asking public companies like a Micron to all of that risk themselves with no shared risk from the people who are the large consumers, that's very, very hard to sustain. The governments have been helping, I mean US government has helped in terms of the work they've been doing with Micron and also encouraging Samsung and Heinis to expand the US, But I think it's more than just government.
Speaker 3: That was on CEO Reneha speaking with Steven Engel and are coming up on the show.
Speaker 2: HPE's annual sales outlook crushed estimates fueled by AI demand, and its president CEO Antarionerr's joining us.
Speaker 3: Next, this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 5: Tech HPE stock.
Speaker 4: Can we just look at it skyrocketing this morning as we see its surge after second quarter results beat expectations. It raised it's fully of forecast where sales could jump by an entire one third after thirty three percent.
Speaker 5: That growth is being fueled.
Speaker 4: You know why, by massive demand for AI infrastructure joining us now HPU presidency, Antonio and Ery, you're up twenty one percent.
Speaker 5: You have let to a record high on the stock.
Speaker 4: It is a record move for the stock and you've added thirteen billion dollars in market cap. Just reflect for a moment on what people are calling a blowout quarter.
Speaker 17: Yeah, well, good morning, Caroline. Was an exceptional quarter. As you said, right, we achieve a record break results a number of key metrics. We have tremendous demand across our portfolio or portfolio is an intersectional networking, cloud and AI and that demand is durable. And therefore, you know, thanks to the results of the first half, the tremendous record breaking backlog that we have the pipeline which remains multiples of that backlog allow us to raise their twenty six guide and to provide twenty twenty seven guide six months ahead because of that durability.
Speaker 11: So we're very, very proud.
Speaker 3: Of this moment, Antonio.
Speaker 2: This is a story about demand, right an outlook, it's through HPES lens a revenue figure, but I think there's a lot of value if you could talk us through whether that outlook for twenty six and then the twenty seven outlook, which you say is evidence of durability, is a volume story or it's a pricing story.
Speaker 3: In other words, no great.
Speaker 2: Volume of servers more than you normally do, you can just charge a lot more for them.
Speaker 17: Well, first of all, when we talk about the outlook, we are actually pulling by two years the twenty twenty eight outlook that we provided last October and the security.
Speaker 11: Anitsts meet in Intra twenty twenty six.
Speaker 17: And to give us sense, you saw that our armies per share at the midpoint will be three dollars and forty cents, which is a dollar higher than the previous guidance. And at the core of that is our networking story and the improvements we have made across the entire portfolio, a combination of course, of volume in the key products sements, whether it's campus and branch, which is up almost thirty percent, in orders so the routing business, so the data center switching business orders which is a close to twenty percent, and then on the server side of the equation, we are up triple digits in demand storage for the six consecutive quarter triple digits in our private cloud portfolio, which obviously has the AI factory for enterprise continues to growth. So it is a volume story with very disciplined pricy and execution.
Speaker 4: I mean talking about discipline the fact that operating profit you see going to eighty to eighty five percent.
Speaker 5: Growth for the fiscal full year.
Speaker 4: And this in the context of memory prices, just going through the roof, how are you able to navigate what could be a significant pricing pressure bottlenecks. Still there's a lot still to be a little bit anxious about Antonio.
Speaker 5: What could disrupt this?
Speaker 17: Well, we need to go underneath the portfolio and look at the mixed caroline because now with an eleven billion dollar business in networking clearly drives a different mix in a gross margin which was record thirty six point nine percent. Let's not forget that we are ahead of plan in the Juniper and Catalyst initiatives. Both Milestone says synergy that fuels costal sales improvements and topics improvements, and then you have, of course you have the cost increases in d RAM and A nand but fundamentally there is all about the demand. I have to tell you and I comment this yesterday. Customers need access to this technology. You guys have covered extremely well the AI momentum both in the buildout, but we were very pleased to see the acceleration and enterprise which is driven by that option, especially in AI infancy.
Speaker 2: There are lots of things happening on premise back hybrid cloud, as we just discussed with Perplexity, is becoming increasingly important in your outlook or even in the court of gone. Was this a story about one big customer that changed the trajectory for you or are you seeing new types of customer? It's not just a hyperscale a story anymore.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 17: We have been very selectively playing in the AI scale in terms of profitability as well as working capital. Because we need a lot of working capital. We have prioritized paying down the debt and making sure we drive the profitable growth tour networking, cloud, NAI need enterprise and sovereign and inferencing. So this is not one customer. This is a number of many, many customers. I spoke yesterday about some of the customers that we are winning, that they are bringing that infrastructure on premise because for compliance reasons, governance reasons, data privacy, reasons, security reasons, they need to be on premise. And I give an example of my own use case. We inside HP we have twelve hundred AI use cases, of which two hundred and fifty are in production.
Speaker 11: We actually use a combination.
Speaker 17: Of proprietary or close models and open models, and we have very stringent governance and we do it on premise. And we see that trend happening across the enterprise more and more.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be very dry and very specific with you, Antonio. Is this an enterprise super cycle or is this something different where agentic ai leads to a complete structural shift on how all kinds of companies change their spending habits.
Speaker 17: What do you see is the ladder And I think, you know AI enterprise will accelerate. But the reality is that agentic AI is transforming the way we do business, is transforming business processes, workflows, and is making companies more agile and efficient.
Speaker 11: So that's what we see today.
Speaker 17: And I think we are early in the enterprise adoption and I think you know, customers now want to make sure they are not left behind. We have a say inside the company and the future belongs to the fast and so.
Speaker 11: You got to move really fast.
Speaker 17: And we learn a lot through the COVID right through the own ramp to digital, so is the ladder. And I'm enthusiastic about this because it really helped customers to be more competitive in the market, which ultimately is the teas is about the eye productivity.
Speaker 4: It's about productivity, and many worry that means few jobs. That means change in labor. Have you seen any changes the way in which you're hiring, Maybe you don't need as many employees. What do you think about the narrative?
Speaker 17: Well, definitely, the type of roles you're hiring is different. But inside the company, we have a very aggressive talent development succession plan. In fact, this afternoon I'm going to have a session with my entire team about that.
Speaker 11: But the skill sets of the future have to.
Speaker 17: Evolve, and you know how we to remind our sixty five thousand employees to use this technology in their fabled to become more productive. And I believe everyone, everyone, including yourselves, as an incurs you got to be you have to have a minor in AI, have to use the technology is going to be a competitive advantage in every role across the enterprise.
Speaker 2: We're using the Technology HPE president and CEO Antony and Area back on Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Some news.
Speaker 2: The White House just released an AI executive Order and it says it will select trusted AI partners within sixty days.
Speaker 3: Been bosing a tech headism.
Speaker 2: Mike Shephard joins us with the details, go into the details. What is this, What is the government trying to do?
Speaker 3: What is it saying?
Speaker 12: Well ed, We're still reading through it right now. This is the director that President Donald Trump was set to sign about two weeks ago, but then abruptly put the whole thing on pause, expressing some concerns about elements of the plan that he didn't like and that he thought could impede innovation. In essence, this directive calls for the government to work with AI developers on a voluntary basis and gain access to cutting edge frontier models to determine whether they could pose a cybersecurity risk. The whole idea here, ed, is really to try to ensure that security risks posed by artificial intelligence are somehow rained in and nipped in the bud ahead of time by the government and the companies working together. Voluntary is a word that appears several times in the order, and the idea is that the government will be cooperating with the companies rather than dictating to them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it really is a voluntary framework.
Speaker 4: With AI developers, they talk about collaborating, but they also talk about benchmarking. Mike, who are the people in the room who are able to do that benchmark how a benchmarking? How are we going to get that expertise driven through?
Speaker 12: Well, that's a great question, because to make the determined about whether a model should even be covered by this order, whether it's events enough, say Mythos, for example, you would have to have a room full of experts, and the ideas that you would have people from various departments within the government, people who have classified clearances, and they would be working in a classified setting, in a top secret process to determine whether a model would even qualify under the terms of this order, whether it has the kinds of cybersecurity capabilities that we've seen identified in Mythos such to be a worry of the government and of industries more broadly. Now, what we have seen the order also lay out is a process now through which federal agencies, state and local authorities, and operators of critical infrastructure would also gain access, again on a voluntary basis from the companies to these models that are determined to be so cutting ash that they could post some sort of cyber risk and could also be used to test networks for vulnerabilities, much in the same way that Mythos has been described to us.
Speaker 3: Now, what we've seen, Caro, is.
Speaker 12: That this is coming the very same day that Anthropic is releasing Mythos on a much wider basis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to another one hundred and fifty additional organizations around the world. My Bloomberg's Mike Shepherd, thank you very much. Indeed, that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech Ed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of.
Speaker 2: News in today's show. Check out the podcast to recap. You know where to find it online, Apple, Spotify, iHeart and on all the Bloomberg platforms.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Tech