Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 3: It's America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 1: This it's the daily Joke.
Speaker 3: With your host show Stood.
Speaker 1: Hie. Welcome.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go sort listen. I hope you guys had a wonderful holiday. We got a great job for tonight. Former Deputy Attorney General eight is going to be joining us and I have no idea, but I truly hope you guys had a lovely Thanksgiving, whether you were at home and family or on the road trip of a lifetime.
Speaker 3: But huge news from the entire holiday.
Speaker 1: Week, starting with once again another incredibly controversial Trump administration nominee, Cash Battel. It's been nominated to d the FBI. It seems like a perfectly little judging tonight, little crowd. Is it the tie? What are we doing right here? I mean, what would be to worry about here? Cash Betel?
Speaker 3: And I don't say this lightly is the most dangerous nominee that you've seen yet to our democracy.
Speaker 4: We're talking about somebody who has espoused QAnon conspiracy theories.
Speaker 5: Saying that the twenty twenty election was stolen.
Speaker 1: He has no other agenda, but revenge.
Speaker 3: Somebody who says he's going to throw judges in jail, he's going to throw bureaucrats in jail, he's going to throw reporters in jail.
Speaker 1: I didn't hear anything about comedians, so I look, none of this sounds good. And while many presidents, including Democrats, I've threatened to jail reporters, it's true they didn't do all of them. Is there any reason why Patel should be confirmed. My name is Caspertel, and I have written the first ever children's Russia gate book. It's called The Plot Against the King. I did not meet with Russia in a box. I did not meet with Russia on Fox. I did not meet them in Trump Tower. I did not have a golden shower. This nominee is going to be very controversial.
Speaker 5: Republicans and Democrats should be.
Speaker 6: Examining how damaging this nomination could be to American democracy.
Speaker 1: What's at risk is the overall rule of law in the United States. This is a really dangerous moment for our government and for the rule of law in America. Faith and the rule of law is all that separates us from the otters, the penguins, the apes, really the entire cast of Madagascar. It's the only thing faith in the rule of law. Finally, democrats have a moral perch from which they can judge without shame, hypocrisy, or nuance. Breaking news, President Biden has issued a pardon for or his son Hunter Biden.
Speaker 3: Mother, we were so but you know what, God got fine, it's good, it's right, it's just right.
Speaker 1: You an eighty two year old man doesn't want to spend the rest of his life visiting his son in prison.
Speaker 3: Fubcans can't a wait with this shit all the time. I'm sure the pardon is a.
Speaker 1: Narrowly written, precisely drawn farewell note of compassion for a loved one.
Speaker 7: The pardon sweeping covering offenses that Hunter Biden quote has committed or may have committed, or taken part in over the past eleven years.
Speaker 1: Eleven years is a very specific rounded amount of time. So Hunter, I'll give you a pardon a few years, five years, ten years, it needs to be eleven And if you would be so kind, make sure this upcoming New Year's Eve is also covered.
Speaker 3: Shit's going to get Chris.
Speaker 1: I didn't know pardons could cover for crimes. You may have committed him. I'm surprised Biden didn't include the phrase on Earth one or any of the Earth's in the multiverse. Now, some would say that's what any loving father would do for their troubled son or daughter, should they have the power. But on Fox News, it was this love, in fact, that may have caused the problem in the first place.
Speaker 5: My dad always told me Ainsley, if you get arrested, don't call me. I'm not your first phone call. I'm leaving you in there.
Speaker 1: Good nights. Your dad always told you that. Were you a degenerate or was your dad de Niro? No, listen, listen to me.
Speaker 3: No you get pinched, I'm not your first phone call.
Speaker 1: I don't know you. He's ten grand and a gun on the floorboards. Good luck, kid, and by the way, not just amboy. The rest of the Fox Cinematic universe was no happier.
Speaker 7: Probably the worst president in US history, but also the most corrupt.
Speaker 1: This entire administration has been nothing but as jam. He and his family are so full of slime that Nickelodeon is going to sue for trademark infringement. You Joe Biden, You Joe Biden.
Speaker 3: Megan Kelly, who do you think you are.
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 3: What am I supposed to say?
Speaker 1: Now? It was my line.
Speaker 3: You're solen my two line at long last?
Speaker 1: Have you no decens.
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 1: Of course, no one was more outraged than America's judicial compass, Donald Seneca.
Speaker 4: Trump, President elect Trump laying in as well, He says, does the pardon given by Joe to Hunter.
Speaker 1: Include the January sixth hostages who have now been in prison for years? Such an abuse and miscarriage of justice?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: You pardon your son? What about the people who tried to help me overthrow the government? That's kind of a leap there. It's like going, you know, oh, you're gonna let the kids stay up to watch SNL, but you're not even gonna try to help me burn the neighbor's house down.
Speaker 3: So obviously we're publics are going to criticize.
Speaker 1: But Biden did make this line of attack particularly available, seeing as how he spent so long saying you wouldn't do it, because of how much he respects the system.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna do anything, I said. I adde by the jury decision, and I will do that, and I will not pardoner.
Speaker 1: Will you accept the jury's outcome? Their verdict? No matter what it is. Yes, and have you ruled out a pardon for your son? Yes? Now watch this dive.
Speaker 3: But there there.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've ever found in some of this situation. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you are being questioned about pardoning your son, do not do it at the swim up bar of a club.
Speaker 3: Med and also not for nothing with.
Speaker 1: An old I mean, Biden squints indoors, so you don't face the guy in the sun and try and get an honest is it immediately looks untrustworthy? You're gonna give him a pardon? But you know what, ladies and gentlemen, hypocrisy is ant illegal, nor is it particularly unusual in politics. It's not like he's ever gonna run again, So why not take care of your kid even if you said you weren't gonna I respect it. I don't have a problem with it. The problem is the rest of the Democrats made Biden's pledge to not pardon Hunter the foundation of their defense of America. This grand experiment.
Speaker 7: One political party remains committed to the rule of law and the other doesn't.
Speaker 1: It's that simple, Hunter, Biden's not above the law.
Speaker 5: No one is above the law.
Speaker 3: Democrats stand for the rule of law.
Speaker 8: We accept the outcome because that's how the rule of law works.
Speaker 9: Because the justice system that convicted is only surviving son is the same.
Speaker 1: Justice system he's vowed to protect.
Speaker 9: And if that doesn't tell you who Joe Biden is, I don't really know.
Speaker 1: What does.
Speaker 10: I think I know what does. And now look at the dance.
Speaker 1: Democrats have to do. Be honest, the only reason why they went after a hunter the way they did, and I've talked to many federal prosecutors about this, is because he's the president's son.
Speaker 3: People have to remember the president has lost two children already and he does not need to lose another one to more political which hunts.
Speaker 5: The you know, crawling from Republicans.
Speaker 4: But we're talking about you know, Donald Trump is a convicted felon who literally.
Speaker 1: Pardoned his daughter's.
Speaker 5: Father in law and just made an ambassador to France.
Speaker 1: So for anyone that wants to clutch their pearls now because he decided that he was going to pardon his son, I would say, take a look in the mirror, ma'am. We will take a look in that mirror, but we are taking off so you could just put this shit on airplane mode and let us get home for the holidays.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes to everything that you guys were saying.
Speaker 1: If you hadn't made Hunter Biden not receiving a pardon the Mason Dixon line of morality between Democrats and Republicans, there's a big gap between the laws, the only thing that separates us from the animals. And monkey threw shit at me first.
Speaker 3: I had no choice. This is what Biden's decision has done.
Speaker 1: Look how confident and eloquent our Democratic representatives were back when they thought they had the moral high ground on this issue.
Speaker 8: I've not heard a single Democrat anywhere in the country cry fraud, cry fixed, cry rigged, a cry kangaroo court. You don't hear a single peep out of any Democrats saying that. Why we believe in the rule of law.
Speaker 1: And now look at what even he one of the most verbally dexterous attorneys we have on Capitol Hill, has been reduced to.
Speaker 5: Do you think President Biden should pardon Hunter Biden?
Speaker 8: So there are lots of claims of political prosecution, and it.
Speaker 5: Was Hunter politically.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, obviously that's a judicial point and then you've got to look at what the evidence is.
Speaker 5: And I don't know should the president him?
Speaker 8: I mean again, that is a unilateral executive power, you know, power that uh.
Speaker 5: And should he use it?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 1: You know, the.
Speaker 8: Power exists for the president to show mercy for people.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean we have an executive and we have a judicial and then a legislative and then small bomb. Oh here.
Speaker 3: Time I've crouched since Thanksgiving and oh that did not go well. But then why this weekend?
Speaker 1: Normally you drop a controversial pardon like the way you buy porn at a gas station, in a flurry of other distracting purchases and pardons. Will you give me the breath? Minstead to w D forty to squeegee there one of those anal magazines.
Speaker 9: Some corn Nuts, pardon for my son, the big Dits like Chicks pamphlet.
Speaker 3: So why did you do it?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 7: As NBC News first reported, the President did decide to reverse course O for the holiday weekend. Had his family these annual Thanksgiving getaway in Nantucket Thanksgiving, I knew it.
Speaker 1: Perhaps I can explain the way this pardon went down in my new one man show, Can You Get Hunter? To stop looking at me like that. I take you there now, I'll be playing the role of hunter. How are you father? Are you well fathered? I'm a bit down, you know, last Thanksgiving with the family for a while. If only someone change that. This turkey is deligious obviously not one of the ones that was pardoned. I made you watch that because people think I can't act anyway still on camera. Look, man, the Democrats made this case an example of why Americans should believe in our system, and it's hard. Democrats have the tougher road of defending our institutions and systems as being flagged but still valuable.
Speaker 3: Republicans just run on blowing this shit up.
Speaker 1: But at every turn, Democrats keep getting caught creating a purity test for a system that they can't seem to pass themselves.
Speaker 7: When you saw the photograph of the top secret documents laid out on the floor of Mara a Lago, what did you think to yourself?
Speaker 6: How that could possibly happen? Anyone could be that irresponsible?
Speaker 1: They're responsible the capitul stewardship of our nation's most classified documents as foundational to the institutions. It's why we are What's that oh really in his garage next to his car. Parse away.
Speaker 6: By the way, my corvette's in the locked garage.
Speaker 7: Okay, so it's not like you're sitting down in the street.
Speaker 1: It's totally different. Enemies of our nation would have to get on the tippy toes to peer into the garage to see those documents using some sort of image captured technology, which I'm sure doesn't exist. Spies would also be distracted by my sickest corvette.
Speaker 3: And but's not forget.
Speaker 1: In contrast to Donald Trump, the moral stan Biden took on Saudi Arabia after they murdered one of our journalists.
Speaker 3: We were going to.
Speaker 6: In fact make them pay the price and make them in fact the pariah that they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, boom Kishogi will not be forgotten. Candidate Biden says, this moral line must be drawn, and President Biden tonight with one fistbump of pariah no more.
Speaker 3: It's just the fith bump. It's just the fis bump. Come on, don't know.
Speaker 1: Trump would have probably done the whole.
Speaker 10: Like boom, that is a moral.
Speaker 3: Line I won't draw, I'll.
Speaker 1: But he would have done the whole boom. And of course there's the border.
Speaker 6: We're going to restore our moral standing in the world and our our historic role as a safe haven for refugees and asylum seekers. My Lord, We've never we've never made a signum seekers stay seek asylum outside the United States of America.
Speaker 3: We've never done it.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow what Trump is doing, until, of course, my poll numbers start to go down.
Speaker 6: Today, I'm announcing actions to bar migrants who cross our southern border unlawfully from receiving asylum.
Speaker 3: Rules, loopholes and norms.
Speaker 1: The distance between the systems Democrats say they are revering and the one that they're using when they need to is why people think it's rigged.
Speaker 3: Use the rules, use the loopholes, the norms.
Speaker 1: But also use it to help the people, not just those people related to you. All of us are somebody's son or somebody's daughter, and we all need that break too, Because if there's one thing I've learned, especially this weekend, it's that everyone deserves a chance to.
Speaker 11: Shy.
Speaker 2: Well, we come back, We're gonna talk more about him, Sally ads, don't go away.
Speaker 11: Tell about him mon back in the downtil my death tonight.
Speaker 1: Served in the Department of Justice for nearly thirty years over many different administrations, including two years as Deputy Attorney General and Acting Attorney General at the beginning of the first Trump administration. These welcomes program sallyades, Hello.
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 5: Thanks? How about you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. I wanted to add you know, when we asked you to come on the show, it was prior to the pardon kerfuffle and the new head of the FBI and the new AG And I want to thank.
Speaker 5: You you noticed that for well, yeah, thank you for.
Speaker 1: Not calling up and saying I have COVID, which how hard is it? You read DOJ for how long?
Speaker 5: Twenty seven years?
Speaker 1: Twenty seven years?
Speaker 5: But who's counting you?
Speaker 1: None of us? What is your impression? Now? Tell us a little bit about what's so crucial about the DOJ? What what do they do? I think we don't necessarily have an understanding of the nuts and bolts of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, well thanks for asking that, because I know a lot of people get their vision of the Department of Justice on the high profile things that go on in the news. But I can tell you that what you have at DOJ is a group of people, Republicans and Democrats who are there who are absolutely devoted to justice. And I know that sounds incredibly corny, but these are people who want to be public servants. They want to make this country safer for all Americans, and so they prosecute child pornography cases and human trafficking and drug cartels and gangs.
Speaker 1: And this is the majority of the world.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, this is the majority of the work across the board that is done in a non partisan way. And you know, I had the privilege of working with these folks for so many years and saw them truly struggle over cases, not just whether they could get the indictment or get the conviction, but in trying to.
Speaker 5: Do the thing that was fair and just.
Speaker 4: Because that is and I know this sounds corny, that is the sole responsibility of the Department of Justice is to seek justice. Now, not everybody's going to agree with you when you take actions about whether those things are just or fair, but that is the responsibility.
Speaker 1: Did you see in your time when you were there, did you see the mission begin to change? Did you see it become politicized while you were there when you first started, was it much more nuts and both, because I guess that's not the part of the Justice, Department of Justice that I also think about. I think about after nine to eleven. You know, John, you getting the Department of Justice to justify torture or you know that there is there another hallway where like there's another Department of Justice where like you guys are working on human trafficking, but they're there trying to justify other may be less what you would say high minded things.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, the vast majority of folks at the Department of Justice, or what they called career employees, and that doesn't mean that they're necessarily their entire career state. I'm not even entirely sure what the deep state is, but.
Speaker 3: It's a state that's very deep. Don't put that with.
Speaker 5: Us, but that's that.
Speaker 4: I mean, there literally are maybe a hundred, well if you count US attorneys a few hundred political appointees, out of one hundred and thirteen thousand employees at the Department of Justice.
Speaker 1: There's one hundred and thirteen thousand.
Speaker 4: Now, because understand this includes not just the folks who are prosecutors and lawyers there, and includes investigative agencies like the FBI and the ATF and DEA and the Marshall Service, and includes all of the Bureau of Prisons. It's a lot of people. So it's a very very small number of people who change with administrations and change depending on who the party is. So yeah, that the hallways there are filled with people who don't even know. I mean, I worked for over twenty years in the Atlanta US Attorney's office. I had no idea whether the folks next to me were Democrats or Republicans. Didn't know when we prosecuted public corruption cases.
Speaker 1: Didn't you were down Atlanta and you didn't know if they were Republicans.
Speaker 4: So yeah, okay, it's Atlanta is a blue dot inside an otherwise red state.
Speaker 5: But there were plenty of Republicans in our office, I'm sure. Yeah, No, there were plenty of Democrats as well.
Speaker 1: I believe that.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Are you gonna believe anything I do?
Speaker 11: Is that?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 1: Now, the way you can tell is you just do this, You walk in and go, who wants Chick fil A? Then? You know.
Speaker 3: So that's such an interesting.
Speaker 1: Because look, I am it's very difficult for me to trust the status quo of all these alphabet agencies FBI, ATF the other ones that you mentioned, because so often they are and maybe it's not the bulk of what they do do, but spying on Americans after nine to eleven through the Department Home out secret and I know they're not all related. So we're in this sort of uncomfortable position of saying the rule of law is important, but wouldn't you agree it's often bent against It is a rigged system in a lot of ways, just maybe not rigged against politicians, but rigged against the poor or people that don't have the means. You know, when you look at crack cocaine being sentenced at a different level than powder cocaine because of the populations that we're more associated with it. How do we have faith we're being asked to save this system that my whole life I've sort of viewed very suspiciously, you know, from Hoover on up. You know, you can't go through learning about Martin Luther King without thinking to yourself, damn, you know, we weaponize the government against citizens. Are what are the safeguards against that? What is the checks and mounts? You clearly believe in it, deeply?
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know, I think some suspicion is not a bad thing, because I think it's really important that we hold these institutions and the people who work there and who are in charge of them accountable.
Speaker 5: But you know you're right.
Speaker 4: Our nation's core promise, our fundamental promise that we made to all the people, as a promise of equal justice. That is a promise our country has never completely fulfilled. There have long been racial disparities in our criminal justice system. There are economic disparities. I would agree with you that there is, as much as you try to guard against that, there is a disparity between those defendants who are wealthy and those who are not. But it has always been the goal, It's always been the thing to which we aspire to be able to make good on that promise of equal justice. And that's what I fear is being lost, is I recognize that. Look, I'm not here as a Democrat or a Republican. I am a Democrat, but I'm not here is one or I.
Speaker 1: Could tell what we had catered to your dressing room. I know.
Speaker 5: Now totally the importance.
Speaker 1: I was right there, You're right there, you got this, Bring it to me, Bring it to me.
Speaker 5: But what was the question?
Speaker 1: Sorry, David, I'm so sorry for derailing that because you were going to I think what you were getting to is it's a system that has flaws, but that every day you've worked towards uh boy, you hate to say a more perfect union on it, but but but that you've worked towards, uh, making it more justsolutely and that has been the goal.
Speaker 5: And so so why is.
Speaker 1: This a threat when you just said, like, yeah, the threat.
Speaker 5: Now, the threat now?
Speaker 4: And this is not because he's a Republican. Donald Trump poses a unique threat to our criminal justice system and to that concept of equal justice.
Speaker 5: He's made really.
Speaker 4: Clear over and over again that he views the Department of Justice as his own personal goon squad for lack of a better term here, to go after the people that he wants to retaliate against, whether those are folks who have crossed him politically, whether it's people who just disagreed with him, whether it's people who wouldn't carry his water, that he wants to use the power of the state to literally criminally investigate them and try to send them to prison. And he's he's been really clear about that.
Speaker 1: He and as Devil's advocate on Yeah, I figured this was coming, wouldn't he say? That's what was done to him? That because he was a candidate for president, that in his mind and I'm not suggesting I'm in his mind, but you know, that's what he believes. The Russian investigation, that's what he believes. All of these cases, whether we believe them to be meritorious or not. What he would suggest is an unprecedented use of the Department of Justice, is how they've been operating against him, and so that firewall has already been breached in his mind.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, if he thinks that, and I'm not one hundred percent convinced he genuinely thinks that. But even if he does, that doesn't make it true. Are you telling me that when someone fomented an insurrection as he did, that doj should just look away from that and not investigate it?
Speaker 1: By the way, Yeah, my belief was always why didn't we look into that? I wanted more alacrity on that before he was a candidate. Again, why were those wheels so difficult to start to churn?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, people have different approaches, and I think that my understanding is they were looking at it as a bottom up approach of the people who were out there, you know, actually storming the capitol. I mean I think in retrospect, you could look at that and see those folks probably don't have evidence in terms of direct conversations with Donald Trump, So maybe that wasn't the way to go. But you know, that's hindsight and that's me from outside saying that. But look, I don't think the Department should be the least bit apologetic about pursuing that. And I agree, if anything, I think we all wish it'd have been done sooner.
Speaker 1: Right, And then the document's case in the same way, because it is the difficulty was in that document's case, they go down there, they make a big deal, they raid the whole place, and then a week later they're like, oh, yeah, Biden's got a bunch of boxes in his garage and you're like, what is going on?
Speaker 5: Okay, not ideal?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but do you think it's a false equivalency?
Speaker 5: John, And I can tell you don't agree with me.
Speaker 1: Look, how is it a false equivalence in that? Yeah, he cooperated less. But if the idea is, you know, there's a lot of things that go into classified documents. We have a terrible system of classification. We overclassify everything, we redact everything. You know, very clearly they took a much harder line approach than they have probably with any other president. Look, I'm no fan of this guy. I think he absolutely runs roughshot over what would be democratic checks and balances. But as an outside observer, it's hard not to see cracks in the case that there weren't a lot of. And we can call it false equivalence or not, but it's close enough that it would give you pause.
Speaker 4: Well, I will say, you know, there was a special counsel that was appointed to investigate Biden in the Biden administration. I seriously doubt President Biden was too thrilled about that, But that.
Speaker 1: Is the special counsel. Think part of the whole thing, Like I remember Whitewater, you know, when we set up I think maybe part of the point is when you have a system of justice that's one hundred and thirty thousand employees and they're all dedicated, talented lawyers who believe in their case, isn't there always the danger that turning their spotlight on anything will reveal enough faults and crevices and cracks to find justification for legal peril.
Speaker 4: I think that is a risk of a special counsel. I mean, you should never investigate a person, that's a problem. You should never turn the spotlight on a person and say can I find a crime, because there's probably a pretty good chance you could find something out there on just about everybody.
Speaker 1: Why are you staring at me when you say that.
Speaker 4: Well, I was with DOJ for twenty seven years and I'm just saying that.
Speaker 1: The recreational shrooms I thought were legal. Hey, once they put them in chocolate, I think that technically makes it candy, I think. But that's my point to the You know, there is a lot of fear about the weaponization of this department, and I think possibly justified. I guess we're not going to know. There's certainly enough breadcrumbs there. They're certainly explicitly saying it. But I do look at our legalism as overreach has been a part of its history since you know. Look, I hate to keep going back to you know, Hoover, but it's difficult when you have a large organization like that, is it not? What are what are the checks on that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And that's where I wish so much that people could, for example, sit in the conference room in the Atlanta US Attorney's office when we would have meetings we call them indictment review committee, meaning sounds really exciting, doesn't it?
Speaker 1: And was there cake.
Speaker 5: Only at the end?
Speaker 4: That's it, And people would come in and they would present the case. And oftentimes it's not a question of whether the evidence is there or not. The question is, even when the evidence is there, is this the kind of thing that is really worthy of federal prosecution? Is this the kind of conduct where we should be using our resources and this person should be a convicted felon at the end of it, Because there's not resources to prosecute everything, nor should you necessarily prosecute every single transgression that occurs. You're supposed to use that prosecutorial discretion to make sure that you're being fair and that that you're using the laws in the most effective way. And people really would.
Speaker 1: Agonex so subjective in many way, it's not where the evidence leads you. It's also the evidence leads us here. But is that worthy of art of our time and effort?
Speaker 4: Is that that's that's a portion of it, it's worthy of our time and effort, And is this conduct significant enough and bad enough to where this person should be prosecuted federally? Like for example, drug cases most makes the majority street level drug cases could be prosecuted federally. Does that make any sense? No, we should not be using federal resources on that. And a person who's involved in a street level deal really doesn't need to have a federal conviction. So if that's if that's prosecuted at all, as opposed to diversion or some other program that should be handled by the state technically, is it a federal crime, Yes, but is that a good use of resources?
Speaker 1: And is that necessarily each time? Why are there so many people in federal prisons on drug charges.
Speaker 4: Well, part of that is left over from the No seriously, we're people during the crack epikademic and in sentences.
Speaker 5: That were way way, way too long.
Speaker 4: We're being prosecuted, and they are still in federal prison now President Obama.
Speaker 1: They're still there, some of them are.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: President Obama had a clemency initiative to try to adjust those and release scores of people who were just in prison for way too long, longer than public safety demanded there and the guidelines have been changed now, but there's some leftovers that are there. But also DOJ prosecutes It prosecutes major drug cartels that are operating here in the United States.
Speaker 5: That's the major distinction.
Speaker 1: So you're going for the big, not the little now right, right. They used to do the other, but now they've they flipped it to that. What about financial crimes?
Speaker 4: To me, that's where the department is it really should be focusing.
Speaker 5: A lot of its resources.
Speaker 1: Is that where they're focusing a lot of the Yeah, there are a lot.
Speaker 5: Of resources there.
Speaker 4: It's the only game in how local DA's can't do that. And these are like some of the most pernicious crimes where they are really praying on people's hard earned.
Speaker 1: Payday loan that got.
Speaker 4: All I mean, yeah, the full range of white color stuff. I say that used to be a white color prosecutor. Yeah, Why was it so hard after two thousand and eight?
Speaker 1: Why didn't anybody go to jail for that? After the financial crisis?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a tough one. Yeah, okay, yeah, right, So.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying about the case for the dj.
Speaker 3: Two steps forward, one step back, two step forward, one step back.
Speaker 1: So in your mind, though, the reforms that need to be done there, who would do those reforms? Who would reform the Department of Justice? Is it the nation's attorney general. Is that who would make these changes in who should go like who who's in charge?
Speaker 5: Well, the Attorney General is in charge.
Speaker 4: But when you say would make these reforms, are you.
Speaker 1: Talking about letting people out that had crack cocaine versus powder cocaine? Putting more resources in front of like the banks that launder money for terrorists and yet only pay a fine, which has happened numerous times over these past couple of decades. All the things that we look at as dodging of accountability for establishment status quote things and seeing poor people being sent to jail at a much higher rate. Who comes in there and says we have to stop this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's done by the leadership at the Department of Justice, which includes the Attorney General and the Deputy Attorney General and the heads of the different divisions like the Criminal Division, any.
Speaker 1: Trust, Well decide what to focus on, and.
Speaker 4: Then each individual US attorney. They're ninety three US attorneys around the country and they are in charge broken up geographically, and they're in charge of the prosecution and the civil defense side as well of the prosecution of all federal crimes in that particular district and within that district. One of the things that US attorneys are responsible for doing is looking at that district and saying, Okay, what are the most serious crime threats here? In mine was the Northern district of Georgia. Okay, what's the most serious thing here? Where should we be using our limited resources? And what should be handled by the state. And you know, districts are different. My district is going to be different than like Iowa or some place like that. Right, But that's done at the leadership, and then that is to be carried out by all of the career people who are within the department.
Speaker 1: Now, if they get an Attorney General who comes in there and says, I want you to prosecute journalists and Democrats and short Jews, purely hypothetical.
Speaker 5: What if it's a three firm, go for all three?
Speaker 1: What is what is the recourse there? Do they just argue it or do they say, you know, we keep hearing about they threatened a mass resignation, which, but for Donald Trump, that would be what he wants. He would want people who wouldn't do that to say bye bye and he just fill them with other people.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, look, if that, first of all, we know they're already are career people at the Department of Justice who are looking for jobs because they are worried about being in a justice department that is weaponized in this way and not for legitimate reasons. And if you are told to do something like that, you have a few options. You can say no, maybe they find another prosecutor to do it. You can resign, which is another option. You can also raise it if you think something is really out of bounds, you can raise it to what they call the inspector General within the Department of Justice. If you're being told, who's that Michael Horowitz is his name?
Speaker 1: No, I was a rhetorical question, but yeah, what's the role of the inspector General.
Speaker 4: The inspector General is looks at fraud and abuse and misconduct with the Department of Justice.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see like an inspector right general?
Speaker 5: Hence the name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, is it hard talking to people like me?
Speaker 1: Don't understand that? And so in your mind, are there enough fail safe if this is the worst case scenario is going to come to pass. Do you believe that that system is robust enough to withstand that type of thing.
Speaker 5: I think it has to be.
Speaker 4: I mean, we don't have a choice. It's going to have to be robust enough. And look, I am hopeful that even though, look, the president has identified four people who were members of his criminal defense team or impeachment team to be in top four slots at the department.
Speaker 5: That's not a great sign, you know, coming from a guy.
Speaker 1: Don't they normally pick like lawyers they've worked with, or people that they know.
Speaker 4: No, they pick people they know, but not usually like their criminal defense lawyers. Happily, we've not had that many presidents who needed criminal defense lawyers. But look, there's nothing wrong with a president wanting someone in whom they have confidence and someone that they trust. The problem is here that Donald Trump complained about Jeff Sessions, where's my Roy Kohane, which you know sort of infamous or famous bob lawyer.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 4: He expected the Attorney general to act as his personal hitchman. That's what he's looking for. So when he puts the folks in there that were his.
Speaker 5: But I'm hopeful, I'm hopeful.
Speaker 4: Still, I want to give a little please please there that they, despite of how they might be getting there, that they're going to take their oath seriously and recognize they do not represent Donald Trump they represent the people.
Speaker 1: Of the United States and the Constitution, and the Constitution in your mouth to God's ears.
Speaker 11: Former you have attorney Generald Salieri.
Speaker 2: Great, let me write back after this bok up show today night.
Speaker 1: But before we go, we're gonna check it with your host for the.
Speaker 3: Rest of the week, mister Ronnie Chang. Ronnie, what's talking about? I see what you see.
Speaker 1: Telling the people what you got lined up for the rest of the week run. I'll tell you why I have got lined up John crack cocaine.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna smoke it right here live on TV, So tune in tomorrow everybody.
Speaker 3: I'll be smoking crack.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna assume that's some sort of a hysterical statement about Hunter Biden's partner.
Speaker 3: Who's Hunter Biden? Ronnie Chang. All week, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 7: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The.
Speaker 3: Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten.
Speaker 8: Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus.
Speaker 1: Paramount Podcasts