Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Should I give a really quick bird update? Oh yeah, Well we put out the cliff Astness episode, which was very well received, but we did get a few comments about where they're not being a bird update really quick birds. Yeah, the birds doing really well, flying really well. We need to work on perching. So he's in a big.
Speaker 1: Room's interesting is regressed on perching?
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, it's hard. He's very comfortable perching on people. He's very comfortable perching on his cage. I put in an old cat tree that I had at my parents' house in the room where he is. He refuses to perch on it. And so if you open, yeah, you probably wouldn't purchase the catch. Yeah maybe, I mean my cat hasn't touched it in several years, so I thought maybe the cats I'll never never. I think I need to get.
Speaker 1: Like you owner ever and terror I can tell you the cat.
Speaker 2: I think I need to get him like an indoor potted tree or something, because if you open the cage and then run to the other side of the room, he will fly directly to you. He will not land on anything other than his cage and humans. So we need to work on that. Also. We're calling it a heat but it could be a lady bird.
Speaker 1: Is this whole project still in the service of like one day releasing or herd into the wild, or is it more just like I think, be nice if he wasn't clinging to your shoulder all the time.
Speaker 2: I think given that it's so attached to humans, it would be very hard to release this bird right now. It won't perch. I mean, we'll see when we get in a tree if it'll perch on the tree.
Speaker 1: I guess I'll stop asking that question. I guess that's just your bird now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and its name is bird.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to The Money Stuff Podcast. You're a weekly podcast where we talk about stuff related to money. I'm Matt Levie and I write The Money Stuff Calm for Blue Our Opinion, and.
Speaker 2: I'm Katie Greifeld, a reporter for Bloomberg News and an anchor for Bloomberg Television.
Speaker 1: Katie, I came to you this week and I was like, I want to talk about ETFs, which sounded really sounds great. And I was like, I want to talk about autocollable ets and You're like, Nah.
Speaker 2: You know that's the thing. It really feels like a monkey's paw situation or something. I should be psyched.
Speaker 1: The thing this is the thing. The thing about ETFs is that eventually all of financial products and ultimately all of human existence will be sucked into an ETF. And like you have to be able to roll with all of the possible forms of ETF.
Speaker 2: I you know, I'm like super comfortable with the idea that you know, there's structured products in ETFs. Yeah, I know what for ETF is. The concept of an autocollable ETF is a little bit of a tougher too. But the first one launched this past week. Yeah, Calamus Kalamos with JP Morgan is the swap counterparty.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you did a breakdown in your Money Soff column about how's theoretic this would work. You provided an example. Some don't quite get it, okay.
Speaker 1: So, like, if you're a JP market, you're in the business like manufacturing products that clients want to buy. One thing that clients come to with a lot is we would like to hedge our stock market risk. It would be nice if when the market crashed we could get some insurance. And so there's a big business in manufacturing insurance against market crushes because like fundamentally most people, most investors are long equities and they want to have insurance. Someone want to have insurance against the market crush, and how do you manufacture that insurance because no one's to sell that insurance, right, Like who wants to be in the business of saying if the market crashes, I'll give you money, Like it's a terrible wrong way situation to be in. And so a lot of like the world of like equity to rotistrating is figuring out how to manufacture that sort of market risk insurance crash insurance. And there are ways to do it, like the dispersion trade and hedgephones is like a gibeis are closing. It's all a complicated way to take single stock ball and turn it into index vall so that you can sell people insurance against market crashes. But like a classic way to do it is to say, we're going to have retail investors sell us insurance against market crashes. And the way retail investors sell insurance is essentially they buy bonds and the bonds, you know, they put it in one hundred dollars, they get back one hundred dollars plus like a very high rate of interest, except if the market crashes, they get back like nothing or they lose money. Right, so the thing they buy is sort of a catastrophe bond for market crash, Like if the market crashes, they don't get back all their money, and the money they don't get back gets used to pay someone else's insurance. One of the main like the classic form of that is called an auto callable. It's just like the name of it, but it's basically you put in money. If the market stays flat or up or even goes down a little bit, you get back like one hundred and fifteen cents on a dollar in a year. And if the market goes down a lot, you know, you lose the amount of the market crash and you know, and JP Morgan sells that to you gives them index volatility that they can turn around and sell to you know, institutional clients who want a hedgeance market crash. So that is the autocoll. It is a classic structured note structuring product that like banks love to sell to you know, retailer high night Worth investors. And now it's going into an ETF, which was inevitable.
Speaker 2: I mean buffers have been so popular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think actually the press release for this ETF said something like, this is the latest play for a boomer candy pretty just like just the name of these kinds of ETFs. Now. Yeah, And it's like a little bit similar to a buffer in that it's like a fixed income replacement that like maybe has a little little extra.
Speaker 2: Juice but even still on. And you know, I'm prepared to be proven wrong, but I feel like this is a tougher sell like buffers, I.
Speaker 1: Should say, it's different from a buffer. And then a buffer is buffered, and this is like, yeah, in a crash, you lose your money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a buffer is okay, you're giving up upside, but you're going to be cushioned buffered on the downside.
Speaker 1: That it was like you're getting a nice coupon, yeah, except in bad states of the world, in which case you there's a lot of money. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I mean, who is this for? Like I hear them, I love them, I know, I know, I just wonder, like.
Speaker 1: Obviously, like you know, I sold the agent high net worth investors. And there's a story a while back that I remember I quoted about Korean autocollables or some brokers as something like no one's ever only bought one. Once you buy them, you keep coming back from more because they're so great, love them so much, and it's like, you know, you think of the profile of it for a second and you're like, yeah, of course that's true.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You keep buying them because you get paid a fifteen percent yield. You keep buying them until there's one crash and then you stop. Right, yeah, maybe, yeah, but right, it pays a fifteen percent yield and most of the market crash of the crashes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Kala Mos is first out the gate. I think you have. Innovator and First Trust have also filed for similar products. It's interesting that JP Morgan hasn't JP Morgan sort of pioneered this category in the ETF space, this derivatives power to find outcome space. They have Jeppy, which is a household name in my household. Maybe not in years, but then you know, there were a bunch of Jeffy copycats, and you've also seen buffers rise up in the last few years. But I don't know, it's somewhat interesting to me that you know, it's not JP.
Speaker 1: Morgan that's well, JP Morgan is the swap count of party. Yeah, which means that their vall that is being bought. They're buying the vall from the retail customers to sell to their institutional customers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but they're not the ones headlining the CTF necessarily.
Speaker 1: Yeah right. I never fully understood the structured nets business. But like part of it is like the retail and high not worth like private wealth bankers are sitting around saying, like what can we sell to our customers to make money? And then part of it is like the institutional vault traders are sitting around thinking where can we get some voll and like there's a meeting of the minds. So here like the you know, the JP Morgan valltraders are happy, even if they're not like making the DF fee. I mean, they're making some sort of fee on your point about who's this is four? Yeah, I read about this this week and it reader emailed me, so remind me of there's a catastrophe bond etf.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love IOLs is the taker iOS and launched without a lead market maker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's like a Bloomer article about it from April saying the securities can be a hard cell for retail investors who have never before had to price the risk of a typhoon or earthquake. Ei way, they're not pricing it now, they're a price taker. But anyway, they quote someone saying the asset class does itself no favors by having catastrophe in the name. At least it's clear though. At least you kind of know like the basic contours of what you're doing when it's this catastrophe in the name. Here, it's called an auto callable, which is like tells you nothing, and you know it's a big like headline, Yeah, this is how much yell do you? And you're like, oh, y old to create it. Then you're like, oh, I can lose all my money. Yeah. Also, it's like if you're into this sort of thing, which I know you're not. No, you're into the sort of thing. It's really cool because it's like the structure of it is basically you know, it's an autocol, so there's like knock in and knockouts and stuff. Basically, if the index is down forty percent is when you start to lose money. Like instead of getting a nice coupon.
Speaker 2: It's like very rarely happens.
Speaker 1: Okay, you say that. Yeah, the reason you say that is because you and I and probably mostly who'll buying it have an intuition of what the index is. But the index that they use is not the S and P. The index that they use is a like volatility targeted S and P. Oh, So basically they like lever the S and P to get you to a thirty five percent volatility. Okay, essually in the ballpark of two x leverard a little more than two x LeVert So a twenty percent drop in the S ANDP is not that common either. But it's like it's yeah, and like you see forty percent, like forty percent that never happens, but like the innex reps like twenty ish percent, you lose forty percent of your money. So it's like the structure is not like a lot of structure notes. It's like you can tell the story and I supposed you know, you're like if the market is down twenty percent, you lose twenty percent. It's like very easy to understand here. It's like you get this nice yield and sometimes you don't. And it's not like when the market is down twenty percent, it's like, yeah, like it it's like math and like sometimes you don't. Yeah, so it's an intuitive product for retail investors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm interested to see if. I mean, just given how popular these types of ETFs would be if we were recording this in twenty nineteen, which we wouldn't, but I'd beel like, oh, who's going to buy this? But I don't know what could happen. It could see some uptick, but I really get it, So we'll see. Like, if you can't explain it in an elevator ride.
Speaker 1: You can explain it. It plays a high yield except when the market crashes.
Speaker 2: Except when the market crashes. Yeah, but it's you know, if the index is about.
Speaker 1: This level, if it's paying numbers, it's hard to explain. But well, yeah, a lot of stuff. It's not like floors and caps and everything. It's just like phase fifteen percent, except when the market's down more than this x percent.
Speaker 2: Something else that was wondering. You know, this has typically been the domain of you know, high net worth individuals who was making less money as a result of this being put in the ETF wrapper, Like does JP Morgan care if they're selling these two calamos versus selling this in some other structure.
Speaker 1: I always used to have the impression that structured notes had very juicy fees. Yeah, but I actually I think it's like kind of a competitive business that's not that juicy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well this ETF charges like seventy four basis points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like with anything like this, like there's a lot of mouths to feed, and like, yeah, they're doing a swap with japing Organ, which is probably a JP Morgan expects to make a certain amount of money and then swap. I don't know, it's hard to exactly compare the pricing of those to a structured note, But I don't get the sense that, like I think deserve these are a comparable products, right, Like these are sort of advisor sold like upper end retail products, and so like you know, they're all kind of competitive spaces. But this is not like wildly undercutting some super lucrative, uncompetitive business, right Like the structured notes is like everyone's kind of in on that game.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, you were worried JP Morgan is in losing out on anything. Yeah, to move onto the next JP Morgan story, I guess the prior credit trading story private credit trading.
Speaker 1: It's so good. Yeah, so right. There's a Bloomberg story this week by Ellen Schneider and Carmen.
Speaker 2: Araya, A bad how, such a fun read.
Speaker 1: Japi Morgan has stood up this entire private credit trading desk, which is so smart, like getting in early on what is quite plausibly going to be the next bank line trading, like a huge business. But unfortunately they don't do any trade.
Speaker 2: No one wants to trade with them.
Speaker 1: Now you have to start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Not that no one wants to trade with them. The product doesn't trade. Yeah, that's not entirely true. Some of it is that no one wants to trade with JP Morgan, And like there are some private credit firms trying to stand up trading desks, and like maybe it's just the competitive dynamic, but I think ninety five percent of it is that these loans don't trade and people don't want them to trade. Yeah, and so JP Morgan constantly sends out runs saying we're looking to buy five million dollar chunks of like these forty loans, and here are our bids, and everyone's.
Speaker 2: Like thank you, shooting out those runs into the void, and.
Speaker 1: Then they're calling and saying, hey, I just want to see if you got my run and I was like, goodbye, God, Yeah, it's really bad. It's great.
Speaker 2: The human psychology of that is just brutal, I know, but it's what you got to.
Speaker 1: Do, right, And you know that, like the people doing that are like, well, this is my shot at like being the person who invented a whole new category and bringing in, you know, hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue and being a superstar. But one, it's not guaranteed that will work out. And too, it is guaranteed that before it works out, I will spend a lot of time could calling people and getting nowhere right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean as a journalist I sympathize. Yeah, jeez, Louise, I hate could.
Speaker 1: As a not very good investment banker in my former life, I think about like how long one could have zero in one's p and L. Yeah, you know, like they've got some run back, right, No one's expecting them to do a lot of trade this month. Yeah, at some point someone will be like, hey.
Speaker 2: Guys, well there's a few interesting reasons in the article that are raised for why JP Morgan is getting shut out one is that the private credit firms want big banks to stay out of their turf.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't think that's the main reasons presented as a reason. That's part of the competitive dynamic of like we want to free that bank, and that might be part of it. I think the main reasons m hm, Okay, So I think like an important reason that the article highlights that I think is the second most important reason is that this is what Cliff was talking about when he came on.
Speaker 2: Like nice callback.
Speaker 1: Private markets are very attractive to a lot of investors because they are less volatile than public markets. And if you think about that for a fraction of a second, or if you talk to Cliff, you'll be like, wait, magic, they're not actually less volatiles. They don't trade, so you don't see the fluctuations and the values that you see in public markets because they trade constantly and so nonetheless, like you know, as Cliff has written about, like there is for some classes of investors, like a real value in not having to mark down your positions. Yeah, and if private credit loans traded constantly in a liquid market that everyone could see, it would be harder to not mark down your positions. When they went down in the market. Yeah, and then some of the perceived advantage of private credit would go away. And nobody trying to stuff private credit into four one case it's going to be all that excited about like increasing the volatility of the market. So that is I think the second most important reason still.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have Apollo trying to do that, trying to make trading a thing, but they're also trying to shove private credit into four to one case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is the tension, right, Like you don't want volatility, yeah, but like you want retail customers, and it is hard to build a retail product that is completely a liquid yeah, but it makes sense. There's like an economic intuition for like you can put private credit into your four oh and K or your target date fund and you'll know with certainty that you won't need the money for thirty years, so that you can take the ill liquidity risk. You don't need liquidity because you're a long term saver, right, But nobody actually believes that because like retail is like it's hard to lock up retail for ten years, right, and so in practice to have a retail product, you need something like at least an interval fund and maybe an ETF right and an ETF if you need trading, right, like you need to be able to trade this stuff. So yeah, like there is definitely a push for trading a private to get it into retail. It's all right, so becuse the other way. But I do you think the most important reason that it's hard to trade private credit is that the deal that private credit firms are offering to borrowers like private equity sponsors is we will look you in the eye and write you this loan, and we will own that loan for the duration of the loan, and if you have problems, you come to us, and like, we won't be jerks because we're repeat players in this game. And so once private credit trades, like you know, there's opportunities for vulture funds and activists and like you know, loan to own investors, and so it's less pleasant for the private equity sponsors. And so you know, as they say in the article, you know, unlike most bonds, private credit loans require the approval of the lead lender and the private equity sponsor to trade. So even if JP Murrien could get someone to sell them, they'd have to go to the sponsor and say, hey, can we buy this loan? The sponsor could.
Speaker 2: Say no, yeah, which they have veto power. Basically, Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 1: Just veto power. It's not just like we don't want our loans to end up in the hands of like activists we're scared of. It's also just like we want our loans to be held by five people we negotiated with rather than like any random person. Yeah, because we want to be able to have a relationship with them if we need to you know, extend or refinance the loan, or you know, we run into problems or we need to restructure, Like, we want to be able to talk to people who we know and who like we have a long term, repeat relationship with, rather than you know, some random CLO manager. Yeah, and so that makes it hard to trade re regret it.
Speaker 2: So how does this evolve? I know that you're in the camp. It seems that it kind of feels inevitable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, But there's like a real cut argument.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you also have I mean, like you said, the private equity sponsors don't want this. You also have like the likes of Blual who thinks that private should stay private. I mean, like, how do you see this evolving? Will there be a corner that remains in the shadows, or do you think that everything eventually will be out in the open and traded.
Speaker 1: You know, I think it's going to be contractual, and so like, you know, you see a little of this in the probably syndicated load market, where some loans are very restrictive about who can buy them. And for the most part, people think of the proably syndicated load market as like, you know, kind of trading, and like banks have trading desks and it's trades and it's you know, you can get like marks and stuff, but it's not as like what is the bond market, And like some loans you know, have long restricted lists where people can't buy it. You can have that in private credit, right where like some sponsors some deals don't trade very much because they're very restrictive, and other people say, I don't really care. I will get a better price if I allow more trading with my loans, and so I'll just take the better price. And it's like interestingly, like there aren't that many private credit firms and there aren't that many private aquity sponsors right, Like it's all kind of like oligopolistic, and you could imagine, like you know, people just come into arrangements and say, okay, fine, well well you know, or like you have your reasons for borrowing from firms that really don't allow trading, or you have your reasons for buying from firms that love trading, and like, you know, you could maybe you get a better price with more liquidity and you know all the other stuff. Yeah. Another possibility then a couple of reader emails about this is like you can sort of like halfway allow private credit trading where instead of selling the loan to someone, you sell like a participation in the loan where the original lender keeps like the servicing rights and keeps the relationship with the borrower, but someone else is buying the economic value of the loan. That's like sort of a compromise that might work, and might you know, give you some of the things that you want, like letting the original lenders cash out a little bit or de risk a little bit. It's like a little hard to imagine because like with leverage loans, a lot of what people do want is like the control rights and the servicing rights and the ability to like have a seat at the table in the restructuring. But maybe that's the way I've heard to.
Speaker 2: Get Yeah, it'll be fun to find out, Katie.
Speaker 1: This is my last podcast.
Speaker 2: Because because you got the call from Mark.
Speaker 1: Zucker from too, I think it was fake.
Speaker 2: There. It's hard to know because apparently we're not alone in thinking that our Mark Zuckerberg calls were fake.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding that in fact it is.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm not knowing, No, I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: Does seem to be the case that every single day, every researcher in the world has gotten Mark Zuckerberg sliding into their dms. Yeah, and ninety five percent of them have been like, that's not Mark Zuckerberg, which is weird, right, Yeah, which is weird because I don't know, it's so weird, Like just the concept no, the job market. Oh yeah, I was writing a little bit about this, Like I'm used to like the financial industry, where the job is to pay people enough that they don't live for your competitors, but not so much that they leave to like sit on a beach, right, Right, you need them to still want more money but not be able to get it elsewhere, right, And like you know, there's like a range, right, Like there's like if you pay them more than X, they won't go to your competitors. And if you pay them less than why they won't quit to go to the beach, And like you know why is go to the next In AI, it's like it's flipped in AI. To out compete your competitors for the best AI talent, you need to pay the best aay Italian one hundred million dollars. Yeah, and I'm like to like a twenty eight year old, right if I love my job.
Speaker 2: But yeah, for sure if I got a.
Speaker 1: Hundred million dollars, I wouldn't do it anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: That's too much money. So are you don't need to work anymore?
Speaker 2: Are you applying it's just more important that they don't work at open AI?
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Listening to you talk, it sounds like you're saying that Mark Zuckerberg is hiring these people just so they're not working in a working It's.
Speaker 1: Very bizarre to me. I assume there's some sort of like structure on their compensation where they don't just get a bag of money on the first day and then but no, I don't think he's like hiring them to get them out of open AI. I think he's genuinely trying to build a giant AI research.
Speaker 2: Project, super intelligent you, and it's.
Speaker 1: Apparently intended to include every AI researcher in the world at one hundred million dollars a pop. And it's amazing.
Speaker 2: I think their desks are also going to be close to Mark Zuckerberg. They're going to be physically close to him as well.
Speaker 1: They're going to be made out of diamonds. I truly like, I'm used to finance, but like in tech, it's like a famous concept of like resting investing right, Like it's famously like there are people who, by virtue of being early employees at successful companies, don't need to work anymore. Yeah, in an AI there only those people. Every person who works that A doesn't need to work anywhere. It's so strange. I'll be really motivated by building AI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I just find I'm exaggerating.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there're like some listeners who are like, I don't think it paid like eight million dollars a year and I work in AI, and it's really like, you're really exaggerating. I agree, I'm really exaggerating, but you keep reading story by Peep forgetting Yeah, really enormous.
Speaker 2: It's super disheartening.
Speaker 1: I find I love when people get paid a lot of money. It's just like rising times left all.
Speaker 2: But it's just a good guy. I find Mark Zuckerberg just a fascinating individual. I find Meta fascinating as well. You know, Meta used to be called Facebook, and then he spent so much money on the metaverse tanked the stock. This was a huge thing, like how much money he was funneling in for no return. Then they had to do the Year of Efficiency or whatever. They fired a bunch of people. I do wonder if we're watching this build up again when it comes.
Speaker 1: Specifically, it's a general matter. I kind of think that like AI is the real version of like the meta the metaverse, or the fake version, you know, like yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, MANKI is more real than the metaverse, like the grown up version.
Speaker 1: I just feel like you can look look at like the ll ms and like ask them to do useful things, and they do useful things and like oh that was useful, right, and then like the metaverse, it's like I don't have legs in a video, you know.
Speaker 2: Like here's the Eiffel Tower, right.
Speaker 1: Like the metaverse was obviously intuitively stupid the whole time.
Speaker 2: I don't know, he spent so much money. No, we're not cutting this, this is good. I don't know if I've made this point on the podcast before, but I truly, truly, truly believe that if he had just waited, like a year or two, it would be AI Platforms. I feel like, in his part of heart, does he regret naming it meta platforms.
Speaker 1: I would like it at another like meta platforms is a fine name for whatever nonsense you're doing, Like it's fine. Metaverse platform is terrible that meta like meta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like everyone has kind of forgotten that the metata I agree that. I do seriously wonder though, if we're watching round two of this though this build up, and that in a couple of years, maybe we're going to be talking about massive layoffs and you know metasi.
Speaker 1: Researcher speakcause like if it stops being fun, they'll just leave because they have one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true. It is interesting to contrast how hard Mark Zuckerberg and Meta are going at AI versus like Apple, where the narrative is very much that they've fallen behind. And then you think about Microsoft, which has just been shedding thousands and thousands of jobs.
Speaker 1: Like Meta stands, Microsoft has like the open air well sort of it's like complicated, but Microsoft sort of has like you know, open ai as its AI horse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's true, just simply making the point that like Meta is moving in a lot of different ways than some of its magnificent seven peers.
Speaker 1: Sure right, No, I'm sure that a lot of the piers are having the same thought you are, which is like, spending billions and billions of dollars to hire twenty people is surely not an efficient, yeah way to do anything.
Speaker 2: But seems like shareholders are on board for the time being. Though.
Speaker 1: I think enough reasonable people think there's some sort of like winner take all aspect of this that it's not insane to be like we're going to spend billions and billions of dollars to hire every AI researchers that no one else can have them. I mean, it's a little insane, but it's like it's within the parameters. I do want to say. I've been talking about people get paid one hundred million dollars. But that's not the cap. There's like, what is it scale AI that they bought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the other story.
Speaker 1: I've bought for fourteen billion dollars. Yeah, of which not all of it goes to the handful of founders they wanted. But those people are getting paid more than one hundred million dollars to come work from META. It's not called salary, it's called like acquisition.
Speaker 2: But I think you jokingly referred to twenty eight year olds, but isn't the co founder?
Speaker 1: This is the thing, Like, for one thing, these salaries are so much higher than like twenty eight year olds usually get paid in like the financial industry. But for another thing, like I choked about this, but it's kind of true. Like you work in finance, Like you start out making like a nice living, but like you see everyone around you with like their compounds and amagansett and you're like, oh, I want that, And then like as you move up the ladder, you get paid like millions of dollars, but you're like, I need more millions of dollars to have the lifestyle that I've come to expect. Right in Hay, like all these people started two years ago, they don't need anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's like this are so just retire.
Speaker 1: It's just like finance is a good job of creating the wants in people. Yeah, that lead them to want to keep working even if they're making tens of millions of dollars a year. Yeah. I guess that's true in the tech industry too, but it seems less reliable. Like all these people are right out of grad school and they're getting paid hundred million. They weren't getting paid hundred million dollars five years ago. They weren't starting at firms where Yeah, like the CEOs of those firms were making hundreds of millions of dollars because five years ago the AI people weren't making hundreds of millions of dollars.
Speaker 2: This is vaguely reminding me of a conversation I believe that we had on this podcast a couple of weeks ago about how it feels like every tech founder or like social media site, like there has to be like some element of like we're saving the world or like we're changing humanity or something like that. I wish I could remember what exactly we were talking about, And I think I made the point, or at least I was thinking, like I wish that they would just say I'm making a social media site that I'm going to sell ads on or something like. I feel like with these people that are making so much money, though maybe it is true that like they view their mission is like higher than.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that AI, I mean whatever, Like I think AI is like there is some level at which you are like ultimately selling ads on social media sites, but like not that it's not.
Speaker 2: As much Yeah, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: I think that like there are a lot of gradios claims about like the effects on humanity of like you know these l ms, but is something that's true. Yeah, it seems like a more fundamental thing to work on then, No.
Speaker 2: This is just seems a little bit more like I could see that like.
Speaker 1: A real you know, we're changing the world.
Speaker 2: You can have a real mission statement when it comes to this. But I can't remember what exactly.
Speaker 1: Pay one hundred million dollars, that's really important?
Speaker 2: That's true. I would take one year at one hundred million dollars and I'd probably leave. What's what I'm saying, Yeah, we're in alignment.
Speaker 1: I feel like, Okay, so I feel like that's why we.
Speaker 2: Both picked up the phone call from Mark.
Speaker 1: Zuckerberg, and that was The Money Stuff Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Matt Levian and I'm Katie Greifeld.
Speaker 1: You can find my work by subscribing to The Money Stuff newsletter on Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 2: And you can find me on Bloomberg TV every day on Open Interest between nine to eleven am Eastern.
Speaker 1: We'd love to hear from you. You can send an email to Moneypod at Bloomberg dot net, ask us a question and we might answer it on air.
Speaker 2: You can also subscribe to our show wherever you're listening right now and leave us a review. It helps more people find the show.
Speaker 1: The Money Stuff Podcast is produced by Anna Maserakus and Moses onam.
Speaker 2: Our theme music was composed by Blake Maples.
Speaker 1: Brandon Francis Newnham is our executive.
Speaker 2: Producer, and Stage Bauman is Bloomberg's head of Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Money Stuff Podcast. We'll be back next week with more stuff