Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Overland Gurl podcast. I'm your host, Scott Brady, and I'm here with Jeremy Thornburgh. And Jeremy is from al U kab He's been a long time friend, a longtime member of the industry. We're going to talk not only about South Africa. We're going to talk about his adventures, talk a little bit about what we're seeing come out of South Africa, but we're also going to talk about Jeremy's a journey of health over the last couple of years. We're all so grateful in the industry that you're still with us, because I'm sure, I'm sure every but thank you so much for being on that podcast.
Speaker 2: Really cool to be Actually, I've been waiting for moment to tell the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, everybody's got an adventure, and.
Speaker 1: Life is an adventure and it's filled with so much uncertainty. So let's talk a little bit about what you've gone through over the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Ready we begin, Yeah, I'm straight to it, got little sketchy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I think so many people have had, you know, worries about family members, their own health, cancer, other diseases that can all of a sudden show up in our life. And you have always been this pollar of health. You're this strong South African adventurer. And then next thing, tell us what.
Speaker 2: Happened lying on the floor so quick as that the factory manags is that through life?
Speaker 4: So I lost my dad as a young boy, six years old.
Speaker 2: He didn't have cancer, and you don't realize what a hole like that your life makes.
Speaker 4: And then you look back and you're dad yourself.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting to carve your past in life without those pusiness.
Speaker 4: I can jump onto this.
Speaker 3: But yeah, please, mom and their son.
Speaker 2: They protect inwards, they look after the kids inwards.
Speaker 4: And your dad he's got to push you out there. That love's no difference, but the method is a different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the son you have to teach him the hard way and bump your head, cut the finger and your mom's say put the knife away.
Speaker 3: You say, hey, if you shave it that way, it will work better.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So those kind of things you lose argument.
Speaker 2: So I was a little derailed as a young kid. Didn't realize I had a couple of challenges anyway. I have a bit of intentionally deficit disorder to join the club and then of course I'm a.
Speaker 4: Little bit dyslexic.
Speaker 3: Nobody really caught on. I need to discovered that.
Speaker 2: My health challenges, actually start analyzing myself.
Speaker 4: I just went forward and I'll just like go for it.
Speaker 2: It really stop at school, had fun, but it was usef came out of there feeling like a bit of a loser.
Speaker 4: So I had something to prove.
Speaker 2: I'm a loser, just like that doesn't work from me so and everyone thought it was but maybe that's your own impression. Yeah, sure, So I went at it. I went at it, started plumbing, went at that hard. It's a stressful business.
Speaker 4: We make a mistake the half floods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really good thing when I learned only responsibility. So when you make a mistake, you don't disappear. You stand up, you face it and you take an eye.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's always been my kind of mota.
Speaker 3: It's everything that we've done behind our brand work.
Speaker 2: My partners bring the same where that's how you build your money, but comes a lot of pressure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we got into export.
Speaker 2: And wittinkly maybe, but we are European partners. Spart of the special thing that I built that came off the roof and so we went straight into the German space first off, out of blocks, so you need to understand plumber like structure, none of that.
Speaker 3: It was a lesson.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It slapped us in the face so red and you know.
Speaker 4: It hit Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'm like a creative, crazy person that wants to build everything and find solution for everything.
Speaker 4: Then so we went into that and the pressure came. Yeah, like I've never experienced on.
Speaker 1: The expectations of those customers because Germans are prolific travelers, travel around the world, and they have really high standards of finish and product.
Speaker 3: They are actually they're actually remarkably good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were remarkably good with us. Our partner in Europe is not German, and.
Speaker 4: He's crazy, he is.
Speaker 2: But the beautiful thing about that as he just pushed us like we've never been pushed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, yeah, no, just to do it better. So he actually helped us to get to what we are today.
Speaker 2: And he still does shout the screen. But you need that, you need people to encourage you.
Speaker 3: And but the pressure cake like we grew. We didn't know what we were doing. We hadn't been in that space. It was easy when we were building really crazy custom stuff.
Speaker 2: I developed canopies, and that was going. But the export side, the systems that are packing all the bolts that my week ward end curled up in a.
Speaker 4: Chair from the brink of tears. Yeah sure, I mean you don't realize what it's doing. You just you're just like you fight it.
Speaker 3: You're just trying to get your ship together.
Speaker 4: That's the nature of being an entrepreneur. You can never start pushing.
Speaker 1: As soon as you do, either your competition passes, you buy, or you lose that momentum.
Speaker 4: And unless you got a bunch of money in the bank, which none of us do. And I started put Yeah me too.
Speaker 1: I was making nine hundred dollars a month in the Air Force when I got out of the military. So it's just like you got to just you got to put all of yourself into it.
Speaker 4: That's all you're good yep. And and it's called responsibility. Yeah, it's a beast thing. Yeah, taking ownership over everything you do. So I'm being killed.
Speaker 2: Up my ed just a volunteers continuously for like the last before I went down.
Speaker 4: It was like I knew something had to break. I just knew. Yeah, and we were must we were like getting going.
Speaker 3: You know, I started going we were coming together.
Speaker 2: We had we had a lot going on, and I still remember we had quite an interesting meeting coming by, and it looked like we might have an avesta popping in and all that kind of thing that I.
Speaker 4: Said to worry work I used to start. I started getting these.
Speaker 3: Really grands, you know, and I could feel one coming. I said said, look, we let the people coming. Maybe you could just find them check it.
Speaker 4: Then need lunch. I need to go and lie down.
Speaker 2: I think I got a migrant coming. So I went in the office and that's the last thing I'm remembered. Man, I've put myself down on a little camping mattress in the office and wake up five days later in the hospital.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Like family standing around the bed. I'm like, what's going on? You had a seizure?
Speaker 4: You blacked up. I'm like, oh wow. And they asked me question. It's like what's your name right? And all that.
Speaker 2: Good's yeah, And then they broke the news to me and they're like, you've got a brain show.
Speaker 4: You know, like your last being going in flat box. You know, you let not look mark.
Speaker 3: Yourself because you just fight in the babble and then you suddenly hear like.
Speaker 4: What the world jumps in there.
Speaker 2: Hard, you know, And so that had me incubated. They'd come into my office as I was wandering around in the days and I didn't know what was aren't going on. So they took me to my gip and my geep took a look me and said, Elizabeth stretch, take you mink in some rest.
Speaker 3: Then no, they already had a seizure. He put me in my bed, Thank goodness. My son heard me make.
Speaker 2: A noise from the room and I'd bitten through my tongue, like right through.
Speaker 4: Wow. My eyes were running back and I was just like yeah, out seizing. Yeah. So then they my wife and I was heavy there.
Speaker 2: I was hundred and twelve kilos and a little bit on the heavy side.
Speaker 4: Life was likely just eating in each crap you can to keep yourself going. And so I wasn't in a good place and they had to.
Speaker 2: Can't get me down the passage and into a car, and I couldn't give me into They got me into the car.
Speaker 4: My wife's car was in for affair.
Speaker 3: So they got me in the car in the back seat and I was too long and.
Speaker 4: I was fighting.
Speaker 3: So they found in the hospital and this little can in South Africa.
Speaker 2: Man keep anyway, So the security guard the security company got the faster and they got me back into the car in the front seat, and then they rushed me down to the hospital. I got to the hospital and I was thrashing, and they put me on one of those gurneys and I was fighting.
Speaker 3: I had to order use off the ground.
Speaker 4: You didn't remember it.
Speaker 2: And then eventually they managed to pin me down and stick a pipe on my throat, cutting me down.
Speaker 3: And every time they try to bring.
Speaker 2: Me out there to start going mad again. So so then so then they said, okay, leave them there. Then said, well, let if I understand what's going on. Could I think they slipped me into a cat's can. They could just see there was something not cool, lot.
Speaker 3: Of pressure in the brain, and yeah, I woke.
Speaker 2: Up to hear that this was the use and I started getting pneumonia like you do there with bugs in the hospital. So too long out the pipe's on your throat, so that's it not And my wife was a medical rep and she knew a lot of doctors, not any usual just they said, just.
Speaker 4: Get him out of the hospital. Whatever you do, get him out.
Speaker 2: You know, snow, God the bugs are around, and so they brought me out and told me the news.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm in the day, it's like. And then they said, look, we're going home tonight.
Speaker 4: We'll come and see you in the morning.
Speaker 3: When I left me there for the night and I lay, They're like trying to work this thing up.
Speaker 4: I didn't know what was going on.
Speaker 3: They had curtains around my bed and I got like these fleets and them.
Speaker 4: I thought I was in a slab of cheese or something. I just didn't know.
Speaker 2: Where I was and I was still trying to find myself anyway, and then we went.
Speaker 3: The journey began, you know, the journey began, and.
Speaker 2: I don't meant it was a little bit scary, but I was in the days and I fought everything in my life. When it's afought everything, it's like, like, how do we fix you know what we where?
Speaker 4: It's from here. So we went in through the MRIs and I South African's make a plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I dessiccated my shoulder and the battle so I was in agony and they put me in a forty five minute MRI machine that never men with your face came dead stall and.
Speaker 3: I lay in there for forty five minutes. I like, I'm in this tube. I'm half out of it.
Speaker 2: And I came out of there and they said, this is a It's a glio, not a gly blast gear of blast omer, which is the most aggressive brain you can get. It's a slow brewer. But this challenge crosses the center line of the brain, the tendrils running through the brain and your eyes eye cords running through it, and it sits straight up against your language center. It's one of the most complicated surgeries that you can go through. Like, okay, how long have I got, you know? So we went to see the on Colleges first and she said, look, I can give you with radiation maybe ten twelve years without radiation, maybe eight.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: I seem to think it was a different conversation, but my brain only had two things long, one short one.
Speaker 4: That's all I honed in on. And there we took him and we looked at We spoke to.
Speaker 2: All the different specialists in the pros and they said, look, head's.
Speaker 4: Got to come off. We use electrodes and we're going to try and cut this thing out.
Speaker 2: We're terrified about the language center because you'll won't be able to speak, and and and so so I said, okay, okay, okay, I like to slow down, like let me just let me just like process this. So we went to see some specialists, and one of the guys there, thank goodness, he said, I'm a faithless I don't even know what he meant, but he said, I wouldn't do anything.
Speaker 4: I'd wait and see. We don't even know what sort of cancer it is. I'd wait and see. Says how I'm gonna take that. I need to take better story for now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the first thing, you think, I got two beautiful kids. I grew up with the other dad.
Speaker 4: And I was like, I cannot do that. I've got to be there as much as I can.
Speaker 2: And if you're going to then I'd rather just take it on freestyle pictures.
Speaker 4: If I'm going to be present, I want to be present. So it uh, it was. It was a journey, and it's been a continuous journey and still the journey, but.
Speaker 3: In its own weird, strange way.
Speaker 4: It was the best thing that happened.
Speaker 1: Because what makes you say that, How did that change your perspective on it?
Speaker 2: You become present?
Speaker 3: We said it about this a while back, about being present.
Speaker 2: I heard a brilliant thing the other day, the guys thinking about an old man, and he said, there's yesterday, which is gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I look at that as a lesson. There's now, which is present.
Speaker 2: I look at that it's beautiful, and then there's tomorrow, which we don't know what it is.
Speaker 4: So I look at that as an adventure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I like that.
Speaker 3: So you've got lessons, you got beauty.
Speaker 4: And you've got adventure. Yeah. Sure. And that's why how we need to live.
Speaker 2: And every moment that you spend and you meet somebody and you connect with somebody, I like to make a mark.
Speaker 4: Sure, to leave a mark, Yeah sure, I need to. I like to embrace.
Speaker 3: I need to touch your hearts and see if.
Speaker 4: They can touch money. Yeah. And it's been that. It's been beautiful.
Speaker 3: There's nothing more special.
Speaker 4: And you've been able to, like at least your daughters.
Speaker 1: M's more involved with the business now, so you've been able to travel with her more now and lessen.
Speaker 2: It's like the coupler's shoe what I always say, like it's always broken. Yeah, everyone thinks I'm this massive adventure. If only I lived through your dreams. I love through the exo, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I get the short privileges every now and again.
Speaker 2: I love the wilderness. Yeah, I love the wilderness. But you can find it anywhere. Yeah, you don't have to go too far. You can get it in the bottom in your garden if you want to.
Speaker 1: You know that place that we went and had pizzas overlook at the Southern Ocean.
Speaker 4: And that's a busy space. It was a very busiess but it was beautiful, dude. It was beautiful.
Speaker 2: Like you're black out the rest yep, you turn the phone off, ye, and your present built piece of heaven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a piece of heaven for sure, in.
Speaker 3: Every corner if you look through it.
Speaker 4: And that's what I always say. We always think we have to.
Speaker 3: Head out and go a long long way to find that.
Speaker 2: You can find it in your backyard if you clear just about being there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were, you know, thirty minutes from your office looking at out on the Southern Ocean.
Speaker 4: It was just beautiful.
Speaker 2: I have to say, I live in the most beautiful city in the world, there's no question.
Speaker 4: Traveling and they're not many that come close, I would agree. In fact, it.
Speaker 1: You know, many times in the last couple of decades, Cape Down has been rated as one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and every time I go there, I am shocked with how incredible it is. I mean, the thing is the South Africa in general, and every country has its challenges, no question, even even the United States. But if you're going to live anywhere in the world, to be able to live in a place that looks like that, with the history that that has, the wildlife that you have, the roads that you have, incredible, the quality of life.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it is exactly that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so money's not a thing for me, obviously we need it. Yeah, but that's why this whole prisonce.
Speaker 4: Thing for me is a weird thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's it's actually not about it definitely not about the many works quite spartally important because our.
Speaker 3: Business now serves so many.
Speaker 4: Yeah sure, yeah and everywhere else.
Speaker 3: So it is a huge, huge responsibility. Six hundred plus.
Speaker 4: People, Okay, a lot of families count on you guys.
Speaker 2: And I mean you have no idea how much material it moves through our business in order to be able to deliver products around the world and in order for that to be achieved, you have to take the serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I cannot imagine the amount of aluminum you guys move there.
Speaker 2: I don't like to talk about it, but at least it's a recyclabable commodity, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It's like.
Speaker 2: We like we such a big consumers the world, and then it's a big back there for me, and how.
Speaker 3: Do I find a balance.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm always trying.
Speaker 3: To see if I can help or give or share my life.
Speaker 4: Treats me for it, like you can't afford to you that.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I don't care. It's like this is important, you know. That's always been part of my journey. So like from the first moment I had a voice.
Speaker 2: I was trying to help Rhanos And so it's it's just if I don't get back, can't take. Yeah, we're taking all the time, and like nature nurture love it like that's where those our roots.
Speaker 4: Man, you know, and we we've so lost.
Speaker 1: Our way and we see in your country has so much to offer the world. I mean, every every time that I go to Southern Africa, it changes me in some way.
Speaker 4: It's just unbelievable. Where you live.
Speaker 3: It is, you know, sadly for me, we don't take it seriously enough.
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 4: We're not grateful enough. You know, humans really aren't. You know, it's so much that's true, that's true. You normalized whatever is going on.
Speaker 1: You always think it could be better, when sometimes you forget to look around and see how well where I live.
Speaker 4: Up the mountain I had.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm right down near the bottom of Cape Town, like Cape Point up the hill.
Speaker 4: I mean, I look over the bay.
Speaker 2: I can settle up patio super bit. I put my feet up, I look at the view. I just breathe the air, and I'm like, man, lucky to be live, you know, incredible, and it's beautiful and brading me and everyone's to kill them, and I'm like, no, man, leave him alone.
Speaker 4: We've taken over their space.
Speaker 2: We burnt half of our mountains with crazy stuff.
Speaker 4: And they've got nothing to eat. And see knocking on my door.
Speaker 3: I had a break in just before with a baboon.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I had three eggs everywhere.
Speaker 2: And I got home from a trip away and I'm like, oh no, man, my.
Speaker 3: Alarm had gone off, but somebody had forgotten to double.
Speaker 4: That's the door, and I pushed them in.
Speaker 2: And when I got a few days later, I was they wanted to come back for lunch again, and I could caught him slamming on the door with my rent and then I said, get away, like I open the door.
Speaker 3: And then for women, it's challenging because they don't listen to the woman.
Speaker 4: They're not scared of them.
Speaker 2: But if a man comes on, it's bark like a baboon and that kind of thing, and then they go like over the ball, big animals.
Speaker 3: But you know, the thing is that I'm so accustomed to him.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's animal kingdom.
Speaker 3: It's very much like chauffear.
Speaker 4: Come at you, yeah, telling me the bus.
Speaker 2: They're not questioning themselves, given a little hesitation, and then you go after you know what I mean, And they know that.
Speaker 4: You know they're on the back foot.
Speaker 3: When he stands his ground, he comes at him in the game.
Speaker 4: Then I grab a chair. You see big, their.
Speaker 2: Teeth unbelievably strong. I've seen them diving off a cliff. So I'm lying in the wilderness and I see the bons right up on the cliff, like hundreds of feet up and they look chaking it out, and the next minute I'll see you guys launch your fort cliff heads, dives down, grips a little ledge and swings around and then scurries across the way.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, trying to fingers and all that all day.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know what I mean, serious stuff, but it's beautiful. Yeah. Yeah, So here we are, you know, so how do you how do you feel?
Speaker 1: I think this is such an important lesson for people because I've known you for so long now, like when I remember when I met you.
Speaker 4: Yes, please, we went Vegas. It's it come out of Vegas and let's.
Speaker 2: Chat the mill because I've been having communications with them and I've seen you. Yeah a little bit of a rick yeh, dirty the ditty dirty bugger man.
Speaker 3: I walked out and the bunch and said, hey, you's got Brady on manicam.
Speaker 4: We've been doing these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys and I sen here and we got chatting about adventure biking. Yes, len so a few things to show like steel blades, yeah, color bond dessicationis yeah, holes innes So we're talking milanguage and that sort of and then where we're first petted.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I do remember that we're talking about Katms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're a BMW fat I.
Speaker 1: Am now, yeah, I sorted off on a KTM and I still love him.
Speaker 4: Exactly. But well, I mean, that's another.
Speaker 1: Great way to see South Africa is on a motorcycle. For sure, not a week goes by that someone doesn't reach out to ask how they can help support the podcast. We are supported entirely by Overland Journal magazine. So when you become a subscriber to the Overland Journal print magazine, you get this beautiful book that comes in five times a year. It also gives you access to our digital archive and it's well over one hundred pages of gorgeous images and detailed testing and adventures from around the globe. So if you go to Overland Journal dot com and you subscribe to the magazine, use the code Overland Podcast and that'll get you twenty percent off. It's only available to our podcast listeners. We don't advertise it anywhere else, and then you help us to maintain that independent, employee owned journalism that we have been famous for, so it allows us to conduct those tests without any advertorial Another way you can help out too. I produced a book last year with Simon and Schuster called Overlanding one oh one. You can find it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble or even your local bookstore. And that encompasses my decades of travel around the world, all my mistakes and failures and the lessons that I've learned in traveling around the globe. Many of those that you hear on the podcast have been distilled down into print form with great lists and beautiful imagery. So you can find that at your local bookstore. Overlanding one on one. And thank you all for listening and for supporting us so much throughout these years.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 1: So you know, when you look at you know, facing looking at depth store, looking at an uncertained future, how do you find that that changed you professionally? And then what what were some of the things that you can change personally? I mean, you look a lot healthier, your leaner, how like.
Speaker 2: You've picked up a few kids because I've been really deep in the work again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that kind of travel.
Speaker 1: Is easy to este to your routines, and so have you been exercising what.
Speaker 4: I live right at every morning?
Speaker 2: Brian Shawan, I was in there, okay, good Hey, my board is man okay, and a few air flights and my ear started to grow close from the cold water. Oh sure, could never get the water out of kind of thing.
Speaker 4: But I swam every day. But when I was in my really those places, I was just swimming. It's like my meditation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kilometer in the sea back ten degrees too and that's cold.
Speaker 4: Was shivering and trying to get my way back. But it saved my.
Speaker 2: Life that and then I chose my path, like I went all the naturalist routes, and it's such a it's such a challenging journey because.
Speaker 4: It's your journey.
Speaker 2: Like people come to me and say, like, I've got cancer, whatever I do, I never quite know how to answer, because I tried everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I've always wanted to try and keep it the natural route, find other ways.
Speaker 2: The Internet is a really interesting thing, but it's very confusing because you'll be listening to somebody who's telling you this is the best way to go, and two days later other one.
Speaker 4: Will flash up and the fact.
Speaker 3: Do not do this, you do it now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean.
Speaker 1: I would I would suspect that that that specter of that surgery was terrifying, you know, to get in there and try to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if you think about it, the guy, the specialist was about seventy seven years old, and he was everybody said, that's the guy.
Speaker 3: They take the top of the head off, they got electrodes and they say, okay, we're going to cut this piece.
Speaker 2: Let's see what happened when we ask you a question and they shock it and they said, Jeremy, watch your name.
Speaker 3: And they get and if you can't answer them, then I will.
Speaker 4: Okay, may maybe maybe we don't touch that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so so I chose no, yeah, and see what happened and that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: And I got some good years out of it.
Speaker 3: Like early part, I didn't change last Nutch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything was okay.
Speaker 2: We'd check it out every now and again, and I sort of got I was very disciplined. And then I got a little nor year and then and then one day I fell off them up back and burrows my head. And but what had happened was that I.
Speaker 4: Knew I was deteriorating.
Speaker 2: I had to do this little test here to see if I could see my fingers.
Speaker 4: Ah sure, and I kind of my wife would give me shit.
Speaker 2: She passed me something in the car and I didn't take it, and then she'd say in like I did to you, because your your brain is an incredible thing. There's so many things I learned about the brain that I didn't know prior to that, that what it's doing any given time, Like there was a brain movement. Oh, you saw a little little thing out the corner of your eye. Your brain immediately wanted to check in on that.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, sure, And the person.
Speaker 2: We interpreting insulation at every and any given time that we are.
Speaker 3: Completely unaware of.
Speaker 4: Sure, we've lived through it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I lost left side peripheral from the middle of the eye.
Speaker 4: Here was black. When you did the eye test, there was nothing, no vision. But I didn't really know.
Speaker 3: I mean, they knew that I was it was going because I couldn't see this. But the brain immediately starts to adapt the perupheral.
Speaker 4: Here starts to pick that up. But there's a black spot. There's a spot that you don't see. And I was pushing the limits of it, like I'm.
Speaker 2: Still riding my vest but to work. And then I wonder, I just took a taxi my farm.
Speaker 4: I'm like, but I didn't see that, you know, So I went back to the wife.
Speaker 2: I see, I know if I'm going to take the vest bad, you know, yeah, and and and.
Speaker 4: Then and yeah.
Speaker 3: So it just like it went on from there and it got worse.
Speaker 4: Bounced my head.
Speaker 3: The one day I went in for my MRI.
Speaker 4: They said, this thing's been quiet for now, but now it's getting agro. Yeah, I could feel you gave me a hard time. I'd have a seizure.
Speaker 3: It's a mini me Grand seizure.
Speaker 2: Pumping drugs to keep the seesars down, so that epilem which keeps the caesars away, and that type of thing. But if I got too stressed, if anything got me too excited, I get this funny taste. Then I get this euphouric few like a day's areathing. And there was a picture that was taken by my brain on. Something on the left would start. I'd stopped.
Speaker 3: My wife would always know it's coming.
Speaker 2: I'd start looking up to the left because I'd see this flashing coming through on the left.
Speaker 4: And that came on more and more, and then they said, whoa, hang on, it's growing early days. I've gone to a naturalist.
Speaker 2: Spoke different language, quite a hippie, but yeah, also doctor qualified but he had gone into the natural roots, and I went back to him and he was a crazy guy.
Speaker 4: Was stuck to them.
Speaker 2: With medical is that you put anything you've got, everything we got into it, like keep a little bit to keep the family fed, and trying to fix you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're trying to survive. Yeah, and you're at their mercy. Yeah, you're at their mercy.
Speaker 3: They hey, Jeremy Rick, can take an example of your cancer.
Speaker 4: We'll send it over seas.
Speaker 2: Give me another hundred thousand, Yeah, give me another hundred thousand.
Speaker 4: There hours of our writing checks.
Speaker 3: So my wife's trying to keep me from writing too many, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and.
Speaker 3: Half the time you don't know if you've been taken or no.
Speaker 2: And like I sent you examples, got all the feedback, paid the money, and never got they were going to make a serum. And so it went on and it got the pressure started coming. You've got to getting worse and worse. And then when into but there were intermixed you're like standard practice along with health and then meditation and just positive thinking and swimming and diet.
Speaker 4: Like diet is like one of the number ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dump anything that converts to sugar, any of that almost twenty five.
Speaker 4: Kilograms, but not like I'm sick twenty five.
Speaker 3: I was lean, I was strong, I was fit, but it was.
Speaker 2: And a minute and then I said, Okay, now it's causing too much pressure.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have to go to radiation.
Speaker 2: And I made a really nice oncologist and so through my naturalist, it put me into an oncologist.
Speaker 3: And you're kind of at the mercy.
Speaker 4: No, I'm going to make some proper decisions. I said, I let's go. Let's do it to my time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, Like the most terroristifying thing for me is the kids. If I talked to that, to you about that too much, I'm going to cry.
Speaker 4: Of course, because they like my world. Yeah yeah, yeah, of course, your daughter's incredible, like they're both all of them.
Speaker 2: And my wife. You know, it's like I'm responsible to that. You know, You're just it's not all about you, and I'm responsible to my team. I'm responsible to everybody.
Speaker 4: And so so I thought, no, I got to do it. I've got to give it a go.
Speaker 3: So they put me on radiation. They've mold the mask to your face.
Speaker 2: You locked you down one hundred percent because they're going to put a laser in your brain. They're going to fry your brain, okay, and they can't make mistakes, so your little holes in the mask still got it strapped. That locks you into place. But it's like a five minute session.
Speaker 4: I come in every day.
Speaker 3: I came in there and not being able to see somebody, you have to drop me off.
Speaker 4: By the time I finished.
Speaker 3: Connor from this three weeks, four weeks, I was driving home.
Speaker 4: Wow, I could see it. Wow, it was brilliant. So it's shrinking the two they're frunk. They actually they just kill it.
Speaker 3: They stopped it from grow because it's creating pressure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And when they fried that, they've done a biopsy, taken a drilled a lole in the brain, drop a needle in which they always like nobody's quite sure whether it's a good idea to disrupt the cells because they're like, I was trying to get in here.
Speaker 4: Let's fight back. But you only learn a lot of this after you've done it.
Speaker 2: Yea. And when they did that biopsy, Wow, the brain pressure like I've never had.
Speaker 4: Oh, wow, like I was and they told me I can't do anything, like I can't walk and you can't put me in my chair. So I got on my bicycle.
Speaker 3: I wanted to get a hit of coffee on the road and I saw this pole up ahead and I'm like, I got it there.
Speaker 4: What happened? I rode strangers the pole.
Speaker 3: The pressure was so that was like a properly blindness.
Speaker 4: And quietly tangled home. Yeah, torm jeans. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I told the domestic helper that comes in once a week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't until turn tell then sure. I hit the ball. Yeah what riding a basket on the go? I do it again.
Speaker 2: And I mean I remember getting one of the most brains splitting migraines.
Speaker 4: Everyone. It's like a woman just came. I just couldn't take the pack.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, uh agon the pressure on the brain with next level let's I was vomiting and they raced me off to the hospital. They put me in a cat scan machine that they tried to get everything out of me as quick as we can, and I just dumped me with morphine and I laid there for a few days to trying to get back.
Speaker 4: From that, trying to survive. That was.
Speaker 2: That was horrible, Like the migrains are bad, but that was like I thought, if this is what a brain tumor means.
Speaker 4: Please just give me a gun. Sure, sure, sure, but the radiation worked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it worked brilliant, and that that's where you're at right now.
Speaker 2: So then then bend it was chema. So we're gonna get you this now. And and I took a capsule.
Speaker 4: Tim of Zelda mine.
Speaker 3: It's some lower does It's not like they sit here on a machine.
Speaker 4: You just live on it. I lived on it for two three years. It didn't really bug me. I like I would full swim. I would drop off.
Speaker 3: You go like week sessions and you have a week orphan in your back, and then it's I can't remember the day, it's don don't know how.
Speaker 4: Many, but it's it. My appetite dropped a bit more. But I bought you it no problem, and and it stopped, it stopped.
Speaker 2: Growing incredible and so but he said, this is fantastic.
Speaker 3: We didn't think we'd be able to pull this in like this. So I don't know what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Keep it up, you know.
Speaker 2: And I'm like a like half full glass half empty.
Speaker 3: So I go in there and tease them and bullshit them, and so we do. I like, these guys, this is your lifeline.
Speaker 4: These people are important to you. You're trying to hang on them. Yeah, and so, and I.
Speaker 2: Always try and like I always trying to put my best foot for it made people laugh, and don't. I don't like sympathy, you know, I really don't enjoy it then, and so, so I try to be positive. And I suppose that helps.
Speaker 4: I believe it does. Cancer is a mental game.
Speaker 2: There are ways to beat it, but you just got to You just got to stay.
Speaker 3: I have been in for so many other ships. My wife and I crying in the doctor's chair and.
Speaker 4: He's what a ship job for him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I try to make him feel better, like sometimes you just can't help you.
Speaker 4: Though a part of it. And then you're going to just like, Okay, I got this. We'll try again. We'll try this, we'll try that.
Speaker 2: Eventually, was doing so well that about six or sixty eight months ago, it's to me, Jermy, we're gonna make some choices.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you cannot live on the drug.
Speaker 3: It's going to give you a different topic of tank cancer. He said it's low risk. But and I said, okay, dog, I hear you.
Speaker 4: I went away. We were sailing in the.
Speaker 3: Mid put the pools away said, no, Caesar polls not.
Speaker 2: I mean I was. I'd gone through a lot of stuff which you can fill in between. But but but I dumped everything, and I had an MRI scanned actually doc appointment first always checked the bloods and then jumped to me and we chatterbit and I had one planned and he wanted to book an MRI, and and so I came in and and he said, so, how was the most station of chema. He's still okay? I said, no, dark has stopped.
Speaker 3: I said, I'll stopped everything, anti seizure everything. You can stay with your drugs, but I'm gonna look at your brain every three months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I said, let's do it. Yeah, And that's what I'm in, Dore, how's it going great? Wow?
Speaker 3: So you said it's nothing's happened wow.
Speaker 4: And Jeremy, that's incredible. No, it's brilliant. It's brilliant.
Speaker 2: So actually what's happened, though, is that the radiation was a different exp So, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I lie in this chair and that little laser le pons really see. But it's a little dark.
Speaker 2: You can hear this noise and you almost taste burning in your mouth, and a weird smell but that nothing's coming out. It's all happening, maybe psychologically, but it's happened.
Speaker 3: You could taste in the back of.
Speaker 2: Your throat, And so I came out and thinking, Okay, I can see you again.
Speaker 3: This is cool, like, hey, there's my hand.
Speaker 4: You know, this is really cool.
Speaker 3: I hadn't seen that for a long time.
Speaker 2: I mean, my wife and I'd be walking and she'd do and left done, blake, keep walking like where a yeah.
Speaker 4: But little did I know.
Speaker 3: I didn't know what the job of the brain was actually doing, you know.
Speaker 2: So I walked out there, I could see you, and I could think better, but not think that much better.
Speaker 4: And I couldn't hold any information.
Speaker 2: And but but I could not do what you're doing all the time. And that person coming into the room, I didn't know. I just couldn't process that. My brain focused and completely what I'm seeing because they're cooked. I'm on the rest, and so I was lacking and the stuff that was normally doing that job was god, you know.
Speaker 4: So I had to come back from you. So I was driving. But when you're driving.
Speaker 2: Scott, you don't know what your brain's looking at and interpreting and then anticipating and all that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Like back here at home, we have people that begar the lights, we.
Speaker 4: Have people that sell papers.
Speaker 3: We've got things going on, people cutting your lanes.
Speaker 2: City can be busy, and your brain's going, that's there, that's going to happen in there.
Speaker 3: I could only see here, man, I can only see it if you're talking.
Speaker 4: From the back. I like, no, don't talk to me. You know.
Speaker 3: I stopped listening to music and I could only focus from that.
Speaker 2: And I was talking to a psychologist and her friend and she said, how do you feel about psychedelics.
Speaker 3: I'm like, man, I'll do anything to get high right now.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Not. It was quite a traumatic thing, you know, so they don't like a hero that it's on me.
Speaker 1: There's been so much development in that area though, Like it's making a huge difference veterans everybody, anybody tells, ask me.
Speaker 4: What saved my life? Because it helps you to create new neural pathways. Okay, okay, most new neural pathways.
Speaker 6: Are like I heard the best description of psychedelics, and that is that if you live in the mountain and you go down to the trading post every day on your skis and you take that path Eventually you can just like push off from the paths all there, and then you have to lead into it.
Speaker 3: The skis is second, driving in the dirt and the tracks of it.
Speaker 4: It's difficult to get out of the tracks.
Speaker 2: And a psychedelic journey is like a big snowfall. We got to cut a new line, We got to create those pathways.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what it does to your brain. Amazing, locks in on a new space. Ego goes a little lay line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you connect to the dirt there, you at the stat and how every little bag, every little bird, every little leaf is one thing interconnected by energy and.
Speaker 4: The most beautiful I have a god. It's a mother Earth. That's like, that's my God.
Speaker 1: And that's easy to come to terms with in Africa because you feel it.
Speaker 4: You feel everywhere.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a little muffled over by concrete and tar buildings, but minds that that little tree out.
Speaker 4: There is a life and that's what much friends. Good. I'm so glad that is object.
Speaker 6: I really wish Trump now that it's given the law that we can use it.
Speaker 3: Take a little yourself, buddy, dump the ego of it, you know.
Speaker 4: What I mean?
Speaker 3: Because we think so My path now is about learning, teaching.
Speaker 4: And love it. Yeah it is, Isn't it incredible?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: That like, and I've spoken to many friends of mine that have been through a similar experience that you have, and they all come out of it with a totally different perspective of like every day is an absolute blessing to have it at all, But like, why do we why do we have to get so sick or even face the specter of death very immediately.
Speaker 4: Here's my kind of taken that regards.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're a young man.
Speaker 4: You've got to get out of this as fast as possible. Okay, somebody is forced, and somebody choose. We play rugby back home.
Speaker 3: Like football, but from when it's little bull kind.
Speaker 4: Of like I always wish I could have played rug instead of football.
Speaker 2: The American that you get beaten up and cry and a and I story maybe taking my boy to school and he was a gentle boy.
Speaker 4: Now it's six foot four.
Speaker 2: And built like a brick, shut up, and he's confident. But when he was in there, he was my little boy.
Speaker 3: I like, Okay, he wants it, I'll teach him, or will teach him.
Speaker 2: And I got I got the school telling him about what's important.
Speaker 3: And I was standing here thinking, oh man, that's.
Speaker 4: Not that's not all. There's so much more.
Speaker 3: Can you not give us a little bit more of more?
Speaker 4: Like what is important? You know?
Speaker 2: How do we teach our kids to nurture things? How do we teach them to respect when another? It's like my motto is doing to others that you wish to have, you know, And there's a consequence for every choice you made. With the consequence, and make whatever choice you want. If you want to go and raise your car on a road drunk, go for it, but just understand that when you hit a child crossing a road and you were pissed and you live with that consequence.
Speaker 4: So look at the consequence.
Speaker 2: Before the choice, because because it can change your.
Speaker 4: Entire life and someone else's. But eventually too yeah, obviously obviously. Yeah, And and there's not enough.
Speaker 3: People aren't really like I get away.
Speaker 4: With too much of that nonsense. Yeah, that's that's kind of it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so that's where I Matt, what are you What are you excited about next? I mean, you've got your daughter's working with you more, she's out having adventures.
Speaker 4: What's next? So let me tell you.
Speaker 2: What's the hardest part of my business, okay, is it's a big business.
Speaker 4: Do I like that? Not really, I don't do. I love this. Oh yes, I love this.
Speaker 3: But but big business as you get bigger, it's the fun.
Speaker 4: Goes, more money, more problems. Right, It's like it's it's just the fun goes. It's like, I'm all about fun, and I don't. I'm a serious person.
Speaker 2: I don't get me wrong, but it's got to be You've got to enjoy that journey.
Speaker 4: For me, what floats my birdes is creativity. Creativity flow to my boat.
Speaker 2: So that's why when I wander around here and I see everybody trying their hand at something, I'm like, beautiful, give it a shot.
Speaker 4: Like I don't regret that you didn't. That's the worst.
Speaker 3: Like like, and I started my life as a plumber.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's half a job, man Haugh jobs like it's a seriously tough dog.
Speaker 3: And fish is an apprentice. We were old school apprentice.
Speaker 4: Now you just textbook for sure. We do. We dug holes, chip balls, We worked to ourses.
Speaker 2: But my forearms are like this and breaking turning off in twos.
Speaker 4: And but it taught me so much.
Speaker 2: Fitting holes like getting your hands dirty.
Speaker 3: You know, people don't know how to get their hands dirty in a couple.
Speaker 2: Of mechanics, great and electricians, but that is such a life lesson.
Speaker 3: And you sold these problems and you're working with people and you it's like having that in your pocket. I'm afraid of nothing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because goes darn. I can dig a hole. I can make a plan, planmbers make plans, that's right. So I'm privileged.
Speaker 2: And my daughter came to you O days she joined the team. The team's gone through a bit of change in marketing. She's been put behind the desk.
Speaker 4: Said Dad, I don't like this.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I want to stay.
Speaker 4: She wants to be out in the field. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I said, George, I'm not going to hold you back.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, Like the most beautiful thing for me was for her to join us, Okay, but.
Speaker 4: I don't want her to I don't know what.
Speaker 3: I don't want her to start going down because we put in a space, so we'll change that.
Speaker 2: And the team didn't understand my idea behind the ell Cap girls, and he gave me pushback.
Speaker 4: And because I've had to hand over the torch.
Speaker 3: Because I handed over the torch to the team.
Speaker 2: I've always tried to be quite diplomatic and kind of I'm not going to mess with you, but I'd like to do this, and then they like rel Eventually I.
Speaker 3: Said, guys, I'm going to do this.
Speaker 2: We did it with Yanna a while back, was very successful, and the girls that approached me her and her best friend who had studied.
Speaker 4: And you've been to school too, we want to do this. I'm like, fabulous, fabulous. I wasn't even going.
Speaker 3: To push my kids, and I wanted them to come to meet.
Speaker 4: I said, I'd love it. I talked to the team. The team and I don't know about.
Speaker 2: This, but I convinced him, and I love it because I didn't want to.
Speaker 3: I'm not into selling, but you got to sell.
Speaker 4: But I like to sell the story.
Speaker 2: And they were doing it so nicely, a little bit slower in the beginning, like a little bit rough.
Speaker 4: All festivals are the kind of thing. But they started to get it. But we hit this obstacle with.
Speaker 2: The rest of the marketing team and we had to bring in new people and they got sucked into the office.
Speaker 4: So I've got to get back there. They've got to get back there.
Speaker 3: But I love it because it's just them out there.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like they're just having fun and.
Speaker 2: They want an adventures and it's that's how I want to sell the dream.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful thing to be out there.
Speaker 2: And they talk about and the linking up with the two operators that are also good people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good people that love the environment that are connected.
Speaker 2: Can then you get the hardcore with burn wheels and drive over the bush and give a ship and they get people.
Speaker 1: That are just so great for you know, Jeremy, if you were to give some advice to yourself, and if you could go back twenty years and give yourself some advice, what would you give your self advice about now that you've learned all this these ways, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And you can go back.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can't go back, but if you can tell your son, no, no, no, I can, I'm going to I'm going to teach those lessons.
Speaker 4: That's the next part of my life. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So if you think about life anyway and you think about where we.
Speaker 2: Came from, Yeah, we'd sit around the campfire and the elders would teach us.
Speaker 3: And that's broken into internet, social media.
Speaker 4: That's fast minute.
Speaker 3: The only value that's left not our podcast, that's our highest talk.
Speaker 4: I adore them.
Speaker 3: I spent I spent a lot of time on the road.
Speaker 4: I wish I'd discovered them years.
Speaker 3: Ago, and I wish they were more up there, you know.
Speaker 2: But what a beautiful, beautiful thing that people.
Speaker 4: Share their experiences.
Speaker 3: I have learnt in the last two years.
Speaker 2: I've learned so much affirmation because I know I've learned it on the way, but it was never outlined to me. You know, instinctively you're adapting and learning and ownership of what you're doing.
Speaker 4: But so for me, I want to teach. I want to teach. So when I walked.
Speaker 2: Down past the guy and he's kind of built himself an awning and he's got black awning, and I'm like.
Speaker 4: It looks cool. It looks cool. I'm not going to argue, but I.
Speaker 3: Just can I tell you that if you switch there to Silda.
Speaker 2: On top, because the black warning it radiates so much heat done, it will.
Speaker 4: Be five degrees cooler.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh cool, thanks, like that can told me that is competition?
Speaker 4: Like what happened?
Speaker 2: I just want to teach and share and we all we're all.
Speaker 3: Trying to make a way.
Speaker 4: You know, we're trying to find our way. I would agree. When I see all the old.
Speaker 3: Boys that have been in the game, I'm like, fantastic.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you still here. And we never came here to drail. We just came here to share their life.
Speaker 4: We came here. You got to face it that the American space.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows the American space because we watch televisions.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, so that feels like home, you know what I mean, Like the humor.
Speaker 2: Everything we understand, Like Europe's a different space because Europe is foreign languages, we could never follow it.
Speaker 4: And Americans love South Africa. So if I can make people laugh, yeah I'm happy. Yeah, that's like my thing.
Speaker 2: I like sometimes we get a little bit too close, like like, oh that was a bit and then I'd stepped back. Is often, but I love people, and I love to joke and I love to embrace well.
Speaker 1: And Jeremy, it's it's been an honor to have you on the podcast. Your story is incredible and as your friend, I am so grateful that you you are still with us.
Speaker 4: Me too, man, So we were a little bit more grateful than New York. We were we were all worried. You've come through it. It's cool to that, yes, and it's great to see you here.
Speaker 2: To be here last night I felt like the old days. Yeah, it can kind of everything's changed. Yeah, and it's got a little bit more serious and rules. Yea, rules, you know, like we get out of control to meanwhile, I need rules and that hate rules. But but what I'm saying is, last night I went joined the guys on the other side.
Speaker 4: We had some beers and Jason came and they flipped some meat. Yeah.
Speaker 3: As a fact, Yeah, there a few dogs around.
Speaker 4: I'm happy with dogs, man. Dogs are beautiful. That touch of my heart more than a dog, of course. So so we sat there with Brian. It's spoke shit and laughed and giggle. That's great. That was so good. I'm soory. It's so good to be back here. I love this this show.
Speaker 2: This is one of my favorites lots, and I haven't met the chance to touch more.
Speaker 4: It's a long way to get yeah it is.
Speaker 3: And that's expensive, man, Like it's expensive.
Speaker 4: So hopefully a little settled down. But we're live. You're here. I'm good to be here. It's good to see Jeremy, thank you so much for being on the.
Speaker 3: We alrely got through like a third of the its a good.
Speaker 1: Well and we thank you all for listening and we'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 4: Thanks Jeremy,