Speaker 1: Socks on thirty fifth is next doors open on the left?
Speaker 2: What is going on? White Sox fans. I think we're live. Welcome to a live midweek kind of preview, pope pre show or pregame episode, hopefully pregame episode of the Socks on thirty fifth podcast. Duke is out today. I am your host Jordan Zowski for the day. Nick Gower as always good to see you and filling in for Duke Brett Hafner. Gentlemen, this is a Good Vibes Only podcast, and I want to make sure of that from the start to hammer that home. I know both of you were at the game on Tuesday, Brad Montgomery's debut. That kind of sparked the idea for this pregame show before the series finale. Good Vibes Only, you guys talk about your experience that day. I know that kind of helps in the question of how you're doing, which I assume is pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean for sure, And that's like you said, that's kind of what inspired this idea. I just want to talk about this team right now. And I know we do a podcast every Sunday, or we recorded every Sunday, I should say, but it's like, when the vibes are this good, I want to talk about them more than just once a week. So that's very, very different from the last few years. But yeah, the game Tuesday was awesome. I mean one of those games where and I never really felt like we were going to win until the game ended, honestly, kind of similar not in terms of the score or anything, kind of similar vibes to the Edgar Carroll walk off against the Cubs and another game that I was at this year where it's like two you know, walk off home Rouns in the bottom of the tenth after you lost the lead. So yeah, I just can't say enough about how energetic the fan base is right now and just how into the games people are. Like one of one of my complaints going to games from the more you know down years is that everyone's like scrolling through Instagram rules or whatever, and I no one's really paying attention. That's not at all the case anymore, at least where I'm sitting, like everyone just locked in all the time. And yeah, it just feels really good to have a winning, a first place team. But Brett, I know you were there as well obviously, so what were your takeaways.
Speaker 4: You know, we're a good Vibeses only podcast today, but for the first seven or eight innings of that game, I was just how are we in this game? I was so frustrated, just because, as long talked about on Twitter, you know, there were some questionable decisions blah blah blah blah blah. But it was just so cool to see the fan response to Brade Montgomery. Honestly, every time he came up to the plate, like it was one of those things where again there is energy that has not been felt in many years, and hey, like fans were energetic for him just beyond the first at bat. I've seen many debuts over the last few years where they get a nice little clap for the first at bat and then the rest of the game they're just a normal White Sox player. But no, it was a special night. And from my vantage point, Nick, you can tell me how you were from yours mine. I was sitting in the upper deck kind of behind home plate. I thought his home run was a line out the entire way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did not. It just totally got me off guard.
Speaker 3: Me too, I thought it was best case scenario, would double off the wall, But I agree.
Speaker 1: I thought it was.
Speaker 3: I thought it wasn't hit hard enough honesty to be a home run. I don't know if you've noticed this, but they used to up until this season, they would have EXE will say a launch angle instantaneously when contact is made in center field. Now they don't put it up until after the play is over, which is annoying because I would use that as a crutch, like I would know immediately if it was going to be a home run or like a Warden Trive fly ball. Now I had I've lost that superpower and I'm just guessing with everyone else.
Speaker 5: But no, I was surprised.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me and some others up in the section that I was sitting in, we were like, that couldn't have been that hard off the bat, right, And that's something that I actually ran into our fellow coworker Tim Moran on the red line afterwards, and we were like, there's no way that was above like ninety five and I think it was ninety eight, let alone.
Speaker 1: But you know, I thought it was.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a line drive the whole time. Thought it was just gonna be okay, nice piece of hitting, but it gets caught for an out, but left Fielder kept running. I'm like, no way, And it didn't really kind of grasp me the reality of what had happened until kind of looking at Twitter afterwards and seeing how historic that game was, and so Nick, myself and Tim we were all there. This guy Jordan, he didn't find himself there, but you know what, that's fine.
Speaker 1: He was gabbing about it on Twitter. Though.
Speaker 2: Yes, I will always talk about everything.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: What people don't understand is I am doing this on purpose. I am doing you all a favor when it comes to player debuts because I was at every single one of the ones for the last rebuild. Monkata sees Copek. We see how that worked out. So I am doing everybody a favor. I'm staying far away from the debuts. That might change depending on one thing we will talk about when it comes to this weekend's rotation, because I will be there Friday Saturday, so that might change. But I have been staying far away from all of these debut for a good reason. I am doing you all a favor. So you're welcome, is what I'm trying to get at.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess all all that, but I don't know if I buy it if we're being honest. But whatever, here's what I will say.
Speaker 5: Now, go ahead, you can pile on Brett. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: If we get a certain picture who gets called up and you're there and he stinks it all up.
Speaker 1: I think we know where to point our fingers to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like at a certain point I tried to tell you, guys, I guess maybe let's start there before we get too far in, though, I want to make sure I do the host duties. Be sure to subscribe to the Sacks on thirty fifth podcast Apple, Spotify, YouTube, subscribe to us on YouTube. We're really trying to grow it there, so please continue to look out for stuff there anywhere you get your podcasts. Also following us on social media Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, at socks on thirty fifth and socks on thirty fifth dot Com is the website, so make sure to follow our stuff there as well. I see people in the chat who are saying they were season ticket holders during the Moncata era two. So much heartbreak, you see, I'm trying to save you from that. Let's start with the series that is coming after today, since we still don't know if they're actually going to play tonight's game.
Speaker 5: Against Braves the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Based on how things are shaping up, Sean Berk Eric Fetti should probably be the first two that we expect to pitch during the series. There is an open spot on Saturday. Will Benable was very transparent before today's game. We don't know who is going to be there. A bunch of internal option. Might be a bullpen date, it might be the aforementioned Hagen Smith. I don't know how you guys feel about that. I know Hagen Smith has become a very divisive topic on White Sox Twitter. We know there have been some recent armslat changes. Again, I guess I'll start with that. I think we all kind of feel generally good about him. But do the armslat changes do the results kind of do anything for you?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 2: Are you just kind of like, I just want to see him at this point and then we can make those judgments.
Speaker 4: I mean, I will say that I really enjoy that I've seen the strikeout numbers kind of tick up a little bit recently. You know, we're still seeing lack of getting deep into games. Some of that, you know, with pitch counts are by design, but ultimately we're not seeing you know, six or seven inning outings at this point. I will say, though, like my kind of thing when it comes to Hagen Smith is that like kind of when is the right time. They've been aggressive in promoting all these other prospects throughout the entire year, and it's cool. We've had twelve guys come already. Hagan Smith is probably gonna end up being the thirteenth. I don't know what at this point.
Speaker 1: What what do you plan on saving him for?
Speaker 4: I mean, I know that we're starting to get health back of guys like Shane Smith and Tanner McDougal, but you know, it kind of seems like there's an opportunity with a guy like Noah Schultz on the IL.
Speaker 1: So I think that I saw someone tweet about this earlier.
Speaker 4: You're really throwing him to the wolves here against the Dodgers, if that's what they decide to do. But it's a great test to see if he can still be putting hitters away at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree that There are really two thoughts I have on this. The first one is that in a recent I Think with MLB Network interview, Chris Ketz shared some thoughts on the strategy behind when he promotes guys like Riku Neshida being promoted on that Monday Memorial Day Day game against the Twins after a long road trip that was intentional to try to inject energy in the team. Brandon Montgomery one kind of similar, you know, coming into a really tough stretch. So I wouldn't be surprised if Hagen Smith gets promoted for the Dodgers series, just because it is a really tough stretch and you know, having someone that's that, you know, electric when he's right on the mound to watch, could you know, inject more energy into the team. So I like it from that point of view, and also like, yeah, it would be throwing him to the Wolves in terms of the Dodgers being a great lineup, But Hagen Smith is the kind of picture of where you could debut him against the Dodgers, or you could debut him against like, you know, an al Central team out the Twins or Royals or somebody. And I'm not sure if the stat line would be that different, solely because I feel like his problem, if he has an any problem in his debut, it is going to be that he'll walk like six batters, and I think that would happen no matter who he's facing. But he's the kind of picture whose stuff is good enough. And even if he walks six batters, he could be like Blake Snell and you know, only a lot one or one or two runs still strike out seven plus. So I kind of feel like he's a little bit insulated from the opponent just because of the type of picture he is and his his command issues in a way kind of neutralize the fact that it's a tough lineup. But that being said, now that I'm saying that, so we get called up against the Daughters and give up like four home runs.
Speaker 1: So, Jordan, what do you think.
Speaker 5: My thing is too?
Speaker 2: With always the armslots and lowering it. You know where I'm kind of going to go with this. I hate that the lower armslot kind of leads to an east west profile more, meaning it's like, hey, you're working on one plane consistently. I haven't seen enough pitch metric data on it. Baseball Savon kind of has some, but not a ton. I'd like to see it at the big league level before I start making any judgments on that. It's something I at least think about from that standpoint. That being said, I do agree, like at a certain point, and it does kind of get into a question that a fan has that we'll talk through later. At a certain point, you kind of have to see what guy's got, right, Like, you can only protect him for so long. We talked about the need to continue to churn through this roster because you don't have complete studs on either in your rotation or in your bullpen that are just mainstays outside of a few so you have to continue to churn and move it and try different things. And my opinion on it is Hagen Smith becomes that next iteration of it, and I don't know if it sticks. I don't know if maybe he's a three inning guy and it's a piggyback type situation. I don't know, I think. I mean, I don't know how you guys feel about this way. I feel like they should be open to a variety of different things and maybe they don't have to dead set him on a starter right away if they feel like, you know, there's maybe still a gap between where they want him to be and where he is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, and they've shown the flexibility with other pitchers you know, on the staff to give him a variety of different roles, and I think that kind of applying that philosophy towards Hagan Smith might not.
Speaker 1: Be a bad idea. So I feel like at this point, why not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now I'm on the same page. I mean, they called up a Joe Rock the other day. He hasn't pitched, I don't think, but he's another guy. I mean, I know they're both lefties, so it might negate it a little bit, but he's another guy who can give you, you know, two to four innings if you want to, So they could be creative about it. They could even I mean probably not Sandling because they just sent him down, but they could even bring up somebody else from TRIPAA if they wanted to. You have a couple pretty fungible relievers in the Major League bullpen right now. I Chris Murphy for example, where you could probably send him down and don't have to worry about it too much. So yeah, they can be creative for sure. I mean, I think it would be kind of cool a month or two from now if Hagen Smith and Tanner McDougal would piggyback off each other in the Majors throughly three or four innings each that kind of thing. But we're obviously he's not healthy right now. Doogal so well to wait for that, But I totally agree being open to different kinds of roles with the picture like Smith, you almost kind of have to be because if you plan on him going six innings and he has control issues in the second inning and can't get out of it, you need to have that time be either way.
Speaker 2: So let me ask this because I think it's a good natural transition to where I maybe want to go with kind of continuing our conversation today. You mentioned a McDougal and kind of the injury idea behind it and trying to still ease guys back in but also get value out of all of them. Another big reason we're doing this podcast today is because the White Socks are in sole possession of first place and at the June eleventh, and I don't think any of us expected that. So take a moment to really think about what I just said. From there, though, yes, what sixty seven games or so win of the season. League's taking notice. There's a lot of talk about trade deadline stuff. Again, we'll get into that with some of the fan comments. If you're just joining throw your comments in the chat or your questions in the chat, and we'll try to get to as many of those as we can at the end of the show. Regardless, Fangrafts is currently having the White Sox sit at a twenty five percent chance to.
Speaker 5: Make the playoffs. How do you feel about that number? Too high?
Speaker 1: Too low?
Speaker 2: I mean, there's the obvious impact of Mooney, Teal Schultz, McDougall, maybe Hagen Smith, maybe Shane Smith. I don't know, Like there's a lot of unknown still and again we're kind of in the middle of the gauntlet of Hey, you're at least taking two of three from the Braves.
Speaker 5: Then you've got the Dodgers and the Yankees. Like where does that number feel to you? Too high? Too low? Just right?
Speaker 2: Like where where let's check the vibes at a certain point here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean to me, it feels too low. Like if you put a gun to my head right now, I would probably say they were going to make the playoffs if I'm just being honest.
Speaker 1: Really, I've talked about this.
Speaker 5: That is kind of wild. I don't time, I don't mean to catch off. I don't mean to cutch off.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, No, I mean other I read lot. I've said this before. I read a lot of what other.
Speaker 3: Teams say about us just because I'm curious, and they all think, well, look at that rotation, like Davis Martin seems like he might be fine, but the wheels are about to fall off there. And that might be true. But you kind of just said in Jordan, there are so many options coming up soon between Smith, McDougall, maybe Shane Smith even becomes an option later in the second half. And then you have guys like Mason Adams Drew Thorpe that are currently working back from injury that could also play a factors. So, and then there's the trade market, right. So my opinion is that the offense is good enough that it can withstand, you know, less than average part in starting pitching, and the bullpen I think is underrated because Grant Taylor, Sean Newcombe, Ryan Hudson, and st Anthony Domanga is less so Domanga's but those first three guys especially are all very dependable guys out of the bullpen, and I don't really think there's that much floopy stuff going on with their numbers that would lead me to believe that they're going to fall off a cliff or anything like that. So the Fangrafts thing, I've looked into their projections and they basically are projecting that every single hitter on the White Sox is going to vast regress and have like a WRC plus below one hundred, even Vargas and Montgomery like like between now and the rest of the season. They're basically saying they're all going to be blow outrig hitters. I just don't think that's going to happen. I mean, maybe I'm drinking too much kool Aid, but I'm not saying this team's going to win the division and get a first run buy or whatever they're in line to do right now. But I think it very well could be a playoff team, especially with Tila Murakami back. Ideally within the next you know, three to four weeks. The LINEU wouldn't really have a single hole in it at that point. So I'm, yeah, I'm drinking the kolid. I think twenty five is too low. I'd probably say like fifty to sixty if I had to put a number on it.
Speaker 2: It's so hard to write with the projections piece of it, because it's like, yes, these projections are built off of, Hey, what is fan refs think these players are going to do? And like, I get it, there's been some inconsistency with Vargas' career. You don't know what Murakami is going to be long term, Like you had a couple good months of data, but you don't have long term data to base it off of. And that's why it's so hard to to take that number and feel any certain way about it, because you're you've got a team that has twelve guys making their major league debuts. There's not a lot of data debase it all off of. And that's whereas like I don't know what to say, Brett, what say you?
Speaker 1: Well, I happen to.
Speaker 4: Be looking at Baseball Reference earlier and they have some really interesting odds for us. They have sixty one percent to have stocks to make the playoffs. And here's the deeper one that kind of blew my mind.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 4: They're given the Socks a thirteen percent chance to make the league championship series.
Speaker 5: That feels high.
Speaker 1: That feels that feels hid high.
Speaker 4: Okay, But honestly, I think between where fangrafts and kind of where like Nick and Baseball Reference, it I feel like I'm kind of in the middle of those two, so but kind of like in like the thirty five forty percent. You know, it's just I find myself really going back and forth here between the fact that we're performing without probably our two two better hitters on the team in Kyle Teal and Murakami. Right now, like we are finding ways to win ball games. We're scoring, We're scoring at were you know, we're I think we were scoring like four point something runs before Murakami got hurt, and now we're scoring five and a half per game since Murakami's been hurt.
Speaker 1: Obviously smaller sample.
Speaker 4: Size, but the team is continuing to show that we are not just We're not just the Bash Brothers at this point.
Speaker 1: We can do that.
Speaker 4: We can be the Bash Brothers, but we can be you know, a line to line, pole to pole kind of team, which is being able to showcase all those different kinds of hitting has been super cool. But I would say that, you know, it's getting likely er by the day, and that is what is making this really stupidly fun, because it feels like with every win, with every kind of successful game of baseball they play, it's like this is this is still real. This is not some fever dream, you know, fake insanity run because they're playing competent baseball in many different ways.
Speaker 5: And that's the hard part of.
Speaker 2: Being like an unbiased fan who's trying to like objectively think about the game.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Because we entered this season, I think all of us were kind of like, you know what, we'll evaluate as we go. We're trying to be objective. We know this is going to suck. It just hopefully it's going to suck less than last year. Now we're getting into games where you think about like Tuesday Night, where just berating the bunting strategy behind it, and you're like, well, what I feel this way if this team was ten games fifteen games below five hundred and no, probably not.
Speaker 5: I probably wouldn't say a thing about it.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, it's like, Okay, you have those thoughts about a baseball game, right, you get frustrated when those things happen. But at the same time, here's me on the other end, Like I don't know if I can say, like with fifty to sixty percent confidence that the Socks are making the playoffs. So it's really hard to kind of balance those two ideas of, Hey, there is some objectivity I have to place on evaluating the team, But how much do I about I agree twenty five is probably low. I'm not at fifty percent yet. I'm probably closer to Brett in the thirty forty. And I think Sean Anderson, when we talked with him a couple weeks ago, kind of said it, well, we kind of have this discussion a little bit. Play Cleveland first. Getting this far Without playing Cleveland, I want to see how the White Sex match up against who, for all intents and purposes, is probably the only team that is really going to make a run at the division other than the White Sox. If you can go in that first series look really good, maybe take two of three and really set the tone for how you're going to play, then maybe I feel better about Hey, now we're forty fifty percent. If they're keeping toe to toe, I personally don't view this nine game stretch against this Gauntlet to be anything more than Hey, a nine game stretch against the Gauntlet. Tell me how they do against Cleveland, and then I'll start having more of those discussions. But Brett, to your point, it's fun to be where this team is at I just I don't know if I'm ready yet to flip the switch for this is fun too. Now I have expectations to where even the bad moments hurt way more. I have to be ready to flip that switch. I don't think I am yet.
Speaker 1: It's gonna hurt. I'm just like I feel like I'm waiting.
Speaker 4: I'm waiting for just like you know, and I guess kind of the Murkcammie injury that kind of felt that way, a little bit of just like ooh, something happened, like the magic kind of disappeared for only like two seconds, which was great, but in the moment, it hurt real bad. You know. It feels like because we're coming off of so many hundred lost seasons in a row, we're waiting for it. But I don't know, man, it's fun to relish in the fun.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I really like the point you made bright about how they can beat you in so many different ways. Like earlier in the season it was home runs after home runs. Now it's like they can win these two to one games against you. They can get on base. I mean, one of the reasons I feel so strongly that they're actually a good team is because I spend a lot of time looking at you know, like the underlying metrics more for offense than pitching of the offense is what's more impressive to me, And pretty much every player on this team that's that's hitting well is doing so one way that I think is sustainable. Like Sure Vargas and Coolson Montgomery might end up playing worse than they are right now, but their current profiles don't have any big red flags from them. The only player on the White Slacks where I look at his underlying metrics and he's probably going to fall off unfortunately, as Tristan Peters, and I do still think he's a good player. Even if he falls off, like he's a great defender, he still has value. I don't think he's like a three hundred hitter with the one twenty WRC quels. I hope he personally wrong, but there's just so much to like about the offense that everyone wants to focus so much on the lack of pitching depth, which I hear you on, but it's also like I could see this team in July August when the weather's hot at home games, like you know, comfortably hitting two home runs a game and just outscoring in these high scoring games.
Speaker 1: So I'm I'm optimistic personally.
Speaker 2: I do like you're point to about just the sustainability of how they're playing.
Speaker 5: It comes back to, you, know, how.
Speaker 2: Backed in your results are, like retainable. I guess habits there's a better way to say that. But like, hey, if you're got a three hundred batting average and you're running a four hundred babbit, okay, now we got to talk about that. But hey, if you're being really disciplined in the zone, making good swing decisions, taking your walks, and hitting the ball out of the ballpark, Okay, now that starts to look a bit better. And that's where I feel good about it. I continue, maybe just how my mind works to focus on the pitching staff, Like at a certain point you have to make sure you're either consistently churning that or adding a little bit to it. I just don't think this current iteration is going to keep the wheels turning forever. Like you're gonna have to continue to be active, continue to be smart. Doesn't mean you need to add somebody every single time, but it means you have to continue to churn through things. One way they're doing that on the offense though, is ever since Pereira is back, he's in the lineup tonight, assuming they get the game in. For those of you who are wondering about the weather, I don't know. It's sunny here and I'm in the suburbs, but it gets nasty fast. They bring back Everson Pereira, trade Derek Hill to the Phillies for a couple of prospects.
Speaker 5: I don't know how you guys feel about that.
Speaker 2: It's not a flashy move, right, but number one, it kind of helps ease against Hey, is there any Tristan Peter's regression that comes? And number two gives you a true power bat off the bench or for tonight in the lineup. But gentlemen, how do we feel about the Derek Hill trade that brought back a couple of prospects.
Speaker 4: I am gonna tip my cap to Derek Hill and say thank you for your service. You know, he was fun to have around. There were some cool pinch hit like moments the Derek Hill game where he hit the go ahead home run and made the diving catch in the ninth That was awesome. And I think that you know now we got him from waivers last year. He was probably gonna get deffaide if no one wanted him, and now we get two prospects out of it. So Derek Hill, thanks for your service.
Speaker 1: It was great, haven't you. Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think Brett put it well. That was one of the moves because we got him and it was pretty late in the season. It was like August or September last year. And when I saw the mortification of every thinking like just why, like why are you wasting a forty man spot on this guy? And then why are you keeping him on the forty man the full winch, I was actually annoyed, and then he won me over this season. He wasn't that flashy like you guys said, but he played his role well. He played good defense, he's fast, he could get hits off of lefties like he fulfilled his purpose. And it's unfortunate because we could have used players like Derek Hill a lot over the last decade and now we have this weird problem where well, Gritchik is hitting too well to get rid of him, so obviously you'll keep him. And we had to send down Nishida. I know know Sheiet's numbers weren't great, but I still would have liked him to get a bit more of a shot. We just can't afford it. The team is too good. So yeah, I don't have the highest of hopes for the prospects we got, but it's better to get something than nothing, like you said, And Perera obviously was quite impressive early on in the season. So I'm excited to have him back out in center field tonight, like you said, assuming the game happens, because he's one of those guys too, where we were talking before he got hurt. I mean we tumultively. We were all talking about whether this was like going to be like a masterpiece gets move like that Everson Pereira just show up and become like a long term outfield solution. And I mean, maybe it's way too early to say, but I want to. I want to see him play all summer and make that discrimination. So he definitely adds needed power against left handed pitching, because we saw that lineup against Chris Sale last night. They scratched across a couple of runs. But Matt, that was not a very good looking lineup on paper.
Speaker 2: I know, you get to some of these games where it's like, cool, we got all these left handed prospects and cool, awesome, can't wait, and they're like, oh shit, there are major league left handed starting pitchers that will absolutely carve you because they're pretty good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the Pereira the Hill move is interesting from the prayer standpoint. I think it was nice to be able to get anything for a guy you were going to be fa like that. That was the alternative. You found a desperate Phillies team who needed a Adolas Garcia replacement. And sometimes things just go your way if you're in baseball, if you're a GM whatever. That's one of those things that just went Chris gets his way, probably saved to Cunya a little bit, though. I know he has been hitting a little bit better recently and just naturally opened up a spot. But to your point, Nick, like there wasn't going to be an easy there's I think they're out of easy moves right like at this point because bringing Moone back well, I guess one last easy move is probably moving Drew Romo back down for Kyle Teal. That's probably your last easy move what they do when Mooney comes back. If Gonzalez continues to hit well, I don't know. Acunya isn't exactly a foregone conclusion if he continues to do smart things on the base paths, right Like, so it's becomes a little bit more challenging with each move moving forward for this team, which is a great problem to have. And tip your cap to Derek Hill, though, and tip your cap to Chris Getz for capitalizing on the situation because at the end of the day, Nick, like you, they made that move. I remember doing like our preseason prediction like I don't need to see Derek Hill on this roster, and I'm like, all right, you know what, Derek Hill did a pretty good job for the role he he was asked to play. So I have one more question for you guys before we get into fan questions. So those of you who are listening, if you have not submitted a question you would like us to get to, please do so. Now between the end of the Brave series the start of the Dodgers series, these next let's just say, these next four games, right, like, what is the measure of success to you guys? Maybe that goes along with your feelings of how this team should be performing going like, think about postseason expectations right, Like, or is it still good enough for you to say, Hey, as long as you're competitive in these games, that's still good enough for me. Like where does that fall in terms of, you know, you've taken two of three from one of the best teams in baseball at the very least, and now you have another one of the best teams in baseball coming in right after that. What is success over this next four game period to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean for me, it's kind of what you were saying about just be competitive. Because I know it sounds ironic. I'm the guys saying I think to make the playoffs. But at the same time, I think the team that makes the playoffs has Murakami and Teal in the lineup, and also Colson missed the last couple of games, and I don't think that Eric Cofetti or Anthony k will be part of the rotation by then. So just be competitive, don't get swept. That's my goal for both the Dodgers and the Yankees series. That being said, it was also my goal for the Brave series, and we might even be the ones doing the sweeping. Hopefully we'll see. So this team continues to you know, blow past my expectations, but yeah, I just look competitive. I mean, I'm sure there'll be one of these games against the Dodger Yankees that the Socks lose like ten to nothing and everyone's going to start losing their minds. But as long as that's not a theme, as long as it's a one off, I think it'll be okay.
Speaker 1: One blowout.
Speaker 4: I can live with anything more than one blowout. I think I'd be pretty upset. Yeah, but yeah, like really just like you know, with these four games, if we're two and two, I think I'm pretty pleased at the end of the day because you know, we still have another Yank we still have another big series coming up too, and then by the time we're done with the Yankees, then it's pretty much we're getting to Cleveland.
Speaker 1: So you know, this kind of this little gauntlet, it really continues.
Speaker 4: Like I kind of view it as just a tough month of baseball, including Cleveland, you know, but I think that they're continuing to play good baseball, and that's kind of my minimum mask here, just keep playing good baseball.
Speaker 2: I think I'm in the same boat again, But that comes from someone who is just like still at the place of I don't know what to think about this team yet. I'm having a crap ton of fun though, and that's where I'll continue me as long as we keep having fun, I guess it doesn't.
Speaker 5: Matter to me that much.
Speaker 2: Just yet again sweep the Braves win two of three from the Dodgers. Now we now we start having different conversations at a certain point, but cool, I do want to save some time for some fan question. Thanks to all of you who have already submitted some. I see some continue to come through the YouTube chat. Still continue to send them along. We'll get to as many as we can. I will start with one I've seen both on YouTube and on Twitter previously. This one comes from on Twitter Sir Stony Island, at Antonio Belile and at alex W three six eight on YouTube. Starting pitching at the trade deadline, it continues to be a topic of conversation. We've kind of had a little bit of it. It's been on social media. Consistently. Give me some names, just as realistic as you think it might be. Doesn't have to be the perfect trade. But who are you thinking in terms of how realistic would you go here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, one name that I like is Sonny Gray. I think the Red Sox are more likely not to sell at this point. That's actually the problem with this exercise, honestly, is so many teams are around five hundred right now that is difficult to say who's gonna sell, who's gonna buy, so obviously that limits the options. But I like Gray because he still eats innings. He's still an above average pitcher or two. He wouldn't blow your socks off as like an ace of the staff running that, but he'd be a solid third guy. You can trust him to start a playoff again if you have to. And most importantly, the acquisition costs I don't think would be as high as like a read det Mers that I've seen floating around, just because he doesn't have as long as team control and I don't think but I think det Mers, you could reasonably at this point ask for like a real top thirty to fifty profits in baseball for him to headline, given how how good he's been this year. I don't think you can make that same kind of ask with the you know, thirty five ish year old rental in Gray.
Speaker 1: You know, I've seen some really interesting answers to this one.
Speaker 4: Just on Twitter seeing a lot of I've seen like you know, like Ken Rosenthal talk about you know, just acquiring kind of like a just an inning, like another innings eater.
Speaker 1: And I've seen like some names like even like Seth Lugo get thrown around like some of the Royal starters.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know a team that I'm really interested to see kind of maybe where their season is going to go in this regard.
Speaker 1: What about the San Francisco Giants.
Speaker 4: They've got some interesting pictures that I'm like, hmmm, if their season continues to be awful, I could be I could be interested in a couple of these guys.
Speaker 2: I think of all the names I've heard so far, Sunny Gray is probably my favorite.
Speaker 1: Nick.
Speaker 5: I think that fits the.
Speaker 2: Bill of a guy who just will go out there eat innings, but does so in relatively good fashion, like there there are there are still ace outings out of him, even as he's a little bit older at this point of his year. I actually really like Sunny Gray here. Carmen low Dinski or something like that with Pittsburgh is another one, just because he's been frustrated there that he hasn't been starting and very vocal about it. To be clear, maybe a little too vocal about it. You worry about some the clubhouse concerns, but at the same time I get the frustration that would be another name I'd go with. Sunny Gray is definitely my favorite one so far, and I do think it makes plenty of sense. Next question we'll go to is from at Chi Sacks Ryan on Twitter. With all the questions or with all the issues we have had with the bullpen, why are they so reluctant to bring up ben people's The only reason I can think of would be that they are saving the arm for trade bait. So I think we've had this conversation a lot on this show, and I think we've all kind of fallen in the camp of just bring them up, see what happens, right, But we've also said, like, hey, we said that before about the Peyton Pillettes of the world and stuff like that. So maybe the Socks knows something. What I will dig into and I will say is this looked at him a little bit, seems like a very fastball, slider heavy combination fastball is just okay, right, I'm gonna get a little nerd specific here, so for those who.
Speaker 5: Hate this, I apologize.
Speaker 2: Fastball has some okay rise to It's sixteen inches of horizontal movement or excuse me, vertical movement, and it's very little vertical so it's a very straight fastball and a gyro slider, so it's a lot of just north south like kind of right on top of it.
Speaker 5: He struggles mightily to lefties.
Speaker 1: As well, though.
Speaker 2: He has a sixteen percent walk rate in total, which is way too high in the first place, but it's eighteen percent to lefties and it's thirty percent strike I rate looks awesome. It's forty four percent against righty's twelve percent against lefties. He has walked more lefty batters than he struck out. Maybe that profile of rising fastball that doesn't rise that much, and then gyro slider isn't what he needs right now. Maybe they need to continue to make adjustments.
Speaker 5: I go from there.
Speaker 2: But if the question is why might they be reluctant, that's a reason I could get. I don't know if it's the reason I think the pitch shapes maybe aren't great yet, I'd be curious to see what Peyton Pollett's pitch shapes kind of look like too in kind of diving into it. But again I cautioned about getting as much as I'm like, churn, churn, churn, churn. I'm like, at a certain point, if we keep calling for a name and they don't bring him up, like there's got to be a reason at a certain point is kind of how I view it. I don't know if you guys feel differently, but that's my two cents on Bend Peoples.
Speaker 4: Especially if he's sorry, go ahead, Brett, No, I was gonna say, I don't really got much more on that one. I mean, we're just seeing kind of certain things, like you know, really work in a sense, and I feel like the way that we end up seeing Pollette or People's is probably an injury at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's probably fair. And if he's struggling against the lefties, that's obviously not a good sign. I didn't realize that the extent of the you know, the more more walks and strikeouts aince lefty, that's obviously a red flag. So the guy I was really I did to see from Charlotte as a reliever was Wicklham and Gonzalez. I know he got injured, but before he got injured. He was looking pretty good. I thought he looked good in the majors last year's who I was surprised he didn't really get another chance in April with the big, big legue club. But I hope he's help these to him because that's a guy that I think will have more of an immediate impact. I mean people might obviously, I just don't know, like you said, Jordan, if it'll transfer as well as someone like Gonzales, who I think has a little bit more upside.
Speaker 2: And again, here's the last thing I'll say on this too, is like, Okay, why does the struggles against lefties matter? Well, because with the three batter minimum, you can't really hide that at a certain point, so you have to be able to be competitive lefties and righties. So all right, I'm going to take this question as quickly as possible. The only reason I'm taking this question is because it's semi draft related for those who may be listening for the first time. I am a high school coach in the Chicogland area. We faced Land and Tony and Nazareth Academy in the playoffs this year. Tomey obviously getting a lot of hype as a potential name for the White Sox in the second round of this year's draft. This question came from Josh Nelson over Its Socks Machine. He was there, he saw Land and Tony crushed a homer against us, and you want to know what pitch was on. It was on a fastball. I will say, a very impressive baseball player. Like there is some great talent in the Schogland area. We've been fortunate to play quite a few really really top to your talents. We played Tyler Bell back in the day for those who really followed the draft before. He ended up at Kentucky and now he's a clear first round pick. So very very talented baseball player in Land and Tony. I thought we had a great strategy going in. He was one for three that day with a K. But you know, when you have that much talent and you're getting that much talk and helium in your draft status, you can't miss your spots with fastballs.
Speaker 5: And we learned that the hard way.
Speaker 2: So Josh, for your reporting purposes, there is the answer to the Land and Tony question. A couple more I saw on YouTube as we're closing out here. One is about Cleveland from Jake Richard Myers, I'm curious about your take on Cleveland. You mentioned it's what you're looking at to decide when to get excited. What do you see is the biggest challenge from them. I know that question is probably directed at me, and I have some thoughts, but I'm curious if either of you have any thoughts on Cleveland just in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of their their pitching is you know, I feel like they do this almost every year in a very annoying way.
Speaker 4: But they have some scary pitchers right now, some of their young guys that have kind of come around, like the Parker Mestics of the world and the Kate Smiths of the world. It is it's very interesting to see what they've got going on.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing. They do this crap every year.
Speaker 4: They somehow get a team that they don't decide to spend in free agency. They find themselves at the top of the division every year. But ultimately, like they their style of baseball is generally pretty good.
Speaker 1: I know how to do it. They have a system that they've been going. They find ways to win ball games every year. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to me, it's just how do you pitch against Jose Ramirez. It's not really a good way to do that, but he's the guy that kills you pretty much every year, and I would like to see. I'm not even a different approach because, like I said, it's not a good answer to the question, but I just want to see what they do. The only other thing I'll say about Cleveland is I have enjoyed seeing the respect slash fear out of their fan base over the last couple of weeks of like this White Sox Sea reminds me of like a more fun version of us. One of the comments I saw, or like a version of like more aura than us, Like he's always just trying their absolute hardest and it loves playing for each other.
Speaker 1: And I can't help but agree.
Speaker 3: So I'm looking forward to those series.
Speaker 2: One thing I will say, kind of on top of this, I've I've never had any data to back this up. I've always felt like the White Sox druggle within in division scouting, and I've never feel like they have entered games and series the best plan possible for Hey, which guys do you can't let or which guys can't beat you? And how do you approach those guys? How do you pitch those guys. Nick, to your point on Jose Ramirez, this year has been way better. Maybe the talent of the other teams has been worse that that might be part of it. But at the same time, I feel like these past couple of years under Venerable have been pretty good. Cleveland is that hurtle though. Cleveland is that team that you know when you talk about churning rosters and finding value out of nowhere and just extracting every ounce of talent out of a player and then churning and finding someone else. Cleveland does that as well as anyone. Cleveland, Milwaukee, Tampa Bay, those are the types of teams that do it better than anyone. So you're always going to have for me, You're always gonna have that fear going to Cleveland. I know people hate the Twins and like, oh those guys, Like the biggest rivals are the Twins. I will forever say it's Cleveland because they know how to find value on the margins better than anyone else in the division. And that's why that will continue to be the biggest one for me, just because yeah, even these great teams like Atlanta are going to have off days.
Speaker 5: Cleveland.
Speaker 2: You're going to have a hard time every single game you're walking into that building and just always been that way, and it's a credit to that organization more than anything else.
Speaker 5: I'm looking through here. I think there was one.
Speaker 2: Other question about a trade target. I think it was Yordan Alvarez. I will say I don't think that one is particularly reasonable. I think the White Sox are going to play very close to the vest and really not change anything. I think the last or change anything big, I will say, I think the last question I'll ask here is we're wrapping it up. Also from Alex w three six eight. I think this is a good question. Do you honestly think Will Venable can take this team to a World series based on what you've seen so far? That's a tough question. Yeah, And I like that there was the pause there. That is a tough question.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I need to see more. I mean the way that they like, they play so hard and they seemed to such a good time playing, and that's I think a big ingredient. But I can't get past some of the in game stuff. Like Brett talked about it, I was also like raging in the crowd on Tuesday with all the bunts that weren't working, Like, why do you keep doing this? So I don't know, it's too early.
Speaker 4: Here's what I'll say, And this is definitely a bold statement, I think for sure, but I think this offense can find a way to get deep in the postseason, a fully healthy offense. I think they can find a lot of ways. Now we'll keep managerial decisions potentially out of that, but hey, it's going to play a factor. Like I was just looking up the stat because I had to figure out how often you know, Will Venable was doing sacrifice bunts and fun fact, he actually leads the league in it. Shocker, no slim surprise. He has a I don't know what the stat was exactly called, but it was under It was all under the managers. I'm gonna call it like bunt plus essentially, and it was like he had a bunt plus of two oh nine, so standardized as all.
Speaker 5: Other you know, plus stats are arch metrics.
Speaker 4: Not surprising, but I think this offense can potentially make a really deep run. Obviously, did you not hear me talk about the pitching.
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: That would be a concern.
Speaker 5: I just I I'm in the same boat as Nick.
Speaker 2: I think there are certain things and you mentioned like the sack bunting piece of it, that that's not how successful playoff teams have won baseball games, so and the stats back that up a ton, so that that's a concern for me. That being said, like I know there's some hesitation maybe from some to like really be super critical of him, but at the same time, like he has done a great job, like the fact that this team is competing the way that it is and you see a day in and day out the guys they bring up and it partially gets but it's also very much on ventable in the culture he has set some of the guys he's pushed forward to make the roster that we've all sat here and been like, what the hell are they doing? I think from a culture standpoint, and how he can rally a team to come through and be a leader of men. Yes, Will Venable can take the White Sox for a World Series and then some how he manages in game on the daily still to be seen, but you're not gonna know that, Like you're not going to know that until you're in these sorts of games, right, Like you don't come in as a manager just be perfect right away.
Speaker 5: So that's why it's hard for me to balance.
Speaker 2: There's definitely some seasoning that needs to be done, But at the same time, I feel really good about him as a manager. I feel like this is the type of guy that the White Sox needed to really shift what had been a sinking ship in terms of leaders of men that had been there or over the past several managers, campaign seasons, whatever. He has absolutely righted that ship, and he seems smart enough, objective enough, and self aware enough to be able to be like, hey, on Tuesday, I messed up in that situation. Probably shouldn't have done that, saw the first baseman crashing. Definitely shouldn't have kept the bunt on.
Speaker 1: That's on me.
Speaker 5: A lesser man just defends himself in that situation.
Speaker 2: Those are the types of things that make me feel good about He can probably learn from it and grow in the role.
Speaker 5: So we'll see that.
Speaker 2: That's where I land out, and I think we're kind of all in the same place. But culture wise, absolutely, I don't know if the White Sox are still playing tonight. I haven't been checking, but we're gonna wrap here for our hopeful pregame show. Thank you everyone who was joining, Thank you for everyone who submitted questions. It was absolutely awesome. We will hopefully continue to do things like this. So that's all we have for this episode of the Socks on thirty fifth podcast. Be sure to suscri the podcast on Apple, Spotify, especially YouTube. We're really trying to grow that community. Wherever you get your podcast. We are there though, at Socks on thirty fifth, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, make sure to follow us there. Socks on thirty fifth dot com is the website. We've got a lot of great stuff. We're gonna a lot of great stuff coming out of this week weekend no judge, wink wink, so make sure to follow along with us this weekend. So for Nick Gower and Brett Haffner, Brett, thank you for filling in. This is Jordanzewski sending off. Take care everyone. We will talk sometime soon, whether it's this weekend or early next week, We're going to be back soon to talk more fun White Sox baseball though, that is for sure.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Go White Sox, Go Socks get a win,