Speaker 1: Hey it's Delilah. Thank you for stopping by. I have put together some of my favorite radio moments here to share with you on our daily podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey it's Delilah.
Speaker 1: We celebrate the holidays on my radio program all season long, and we'll be doing the same right here with you each day. With that, relax and enjoy the variety of wondrous delights listeners have shared with us as you prepare for this special time of year with your family and friends.
Speaker 3: Hi, good evening. Thank you for calling the Delilah Show. Cassie, Thanks for being patient. What can I do for you?
Speaker 4: I just wanted to say how grateful I am for my family on Christmas, Okay, because this is my first year on my own and I wanted to tell my family that it's just not Christmas without them.
Speaker 2: So this is your first year in your own apartment?
Speaker 4: Yes it is?
Speaker 2: And have you got a little tree?
Speaker 4: App a little one like two feet?
Speaker 3: And are you trying to make it festive even though you're missing mom's cooking and missing all the ornaments you grew up with and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: I'm missing it a lot, but the good thing is right now, my mom picked me up from my house and we're baking cookies, just like every.
Speaker 5: Year that we do.
Speaker 2: So it's not like you moved a thousand miles away.
Speaker 4: No, I said, hour or two.
Speaker 3: Oh, Cassie, congratulations. I will never forget my first Christmas when I moved away from home. I made all the ornaments for my tree and I still have a couple of them, and I still put them on my tree every year.
Speaker 2: It's kind of hard.
Speaker 3: Well, you have a good holiday, Go finish the cookies. What kind are you baking?
Speaker 4: We're making seven layer cookies right now.
Speaker 2: Seven layer, Yeah, sounds delicious.
Speaker 5: It's the tradition.
Speaker 1: I received this delightful letter from a listener named Rod, who says, Delilah, I love the idea of paying it forward, and I love that you talk about that. That thought or idea is the best part of the Christmas season. About twenty five years ago, there was a young couple with a baby that had a flat tire at the entrance to our apartment complex. It was a well used car, let's say, and they had no spare. I dropped off the wife and baby at my apartment, where my wife took good care of them, and I drove the husband down to the local tire store. My friend at the tire store said the tire was too damaged to repair and that the young man needed a new one. The fellow said he could not afford a new one as they were struggling now and he didn't know what to do. I asked my friend at the tire store if he had a good used tire that would work. He did and sold it to us for twenty five bucks. I paid for it, even though it was quite a bit of money for us at that time, and we got the couple back on their way. The young fellow said he could never repay my kindness. I said, yes you can. I told him someday, many years from now, you might run across a young couple stranded by the road. Well, the Lord has been good to us. We are past our struggling days, and many folks helped us when we were stranded by the road. At this Christmas season, let us all remember to help those who can ever hope to repay us. Maybe that way we can change the world. Thanks again for all you do from a listener named Ron and this is Delilah. Thank you for calling us tonight. You wrote to us and said you had a Christmas story you wanted to share, Yes, I did, so tell us your story.
Speaker 5: Well, it's sort of bittersweet. Actually. When I was about nine years old, it was a few weeks before Christmas. There are seven of us kids, and mom was pregnant with number eight on my word, and my dad had been in the hospital for a couple months, and so money was pretty tight.
Speaker 3: Money's pretty tight, seven mouths to feed and dad not working.
Speaker 5: Right, And I remember my older sister telling me that don't expect too much for Christmas. And one nine years I mean, I understood why, but it's hard.
Speaker 1: You understand it in your heart, but I still want Santa to come to your house, right.
Speaker 5: And about a week before Christmas, this man came up to the door and left a box that was full of gifts, and there was one for each of us kids and one for my mom. And mine was a little doll, a little plastic, soft plastic doll had red hair and freckles. And I was amazed that people who didn't even know us would give us presents. I never thought anyone would be so kind to do that. That meant so much to me. And I've you know, I've had many, many Christmases. But that's one that really sticks in my mind.
Speaker 2: The generosity of a stranger.
Speaker 5: As I just wish the person who donated that had some way of knowing how much it meant to me.
Speaker 1: And has that inspired you an to give to others during the holiday season?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh yeah, it certainly has well.
Speaker 1: God bless you this holiday season and thank you for being a part of our program.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tanya, Hi, thanks for calling. This is Delilah. Merry Christmas.
Speaker 6: Merry Christmas to you too.
Speaker 2: Tell me what your favorite memory or tradition is.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, it's a kind of both memory and tradition. When I was growing up, I have three younger sisters, I only grew up with two of them. But on Christmas Eve, actually Christmas Morning, we weren't allowed to get up and open presents until mom and dad were awake, but we were able allowed to get our stackings, so we would sneak out when it was still, you know, pitch dark, We'd sneak out grab our stockings. We run to the furthest bedroom so we couldn't you see the lights disturb anyone, and we would get all of our little We would get out of our stockings. It was usually like, you know, just earrings or hair bows or lit glass or the things that were the appropriate age for us at that time. But we did that for several years. They can't remember when we stopped, but it was something we did every year, and it was it was almost, you know, the exciting as the actual gifts.
Speaker 3: You see, I don't let my kids open the presence until you know we're up and ready to go either. But they do get to open their stockings. Okay, so but they don't have they don't take them to the bedroom. They just wait under the tree. But they make so much noise. They do this on purpose. They're like, oh, you know, it's just goofy noises. Like, Mom, you are not sleeping, get up now, right.
Speaker 7: Well, we tried to be.
Speaker 6: We tried to be you know, quiet, so mom and day I could sleep and and we.
Speaker 2: Know not my kids.
Speaker 3: They're like, yeah, if you're getting up, down mom, because we got presents to dig into.
Speaker 2: Right, And what do you do this Christmas? Now? Do you have family? Do you have kids?
Speaker 6: We get together with our kids in the morning and on Christmas Eve is usually it's with the rest of the family, of the extended families and it's not the fun.
Speaker 1: God bless you have a wonderful holiday.
Speaker 2: Hi is this Mickey?
Speaker 3: Yes, it is Hi Mickey.
Speaker 2: Happy holidays.
Speaker 7: Happy holidays to you too, Delilah.
Speaker 2: Tell me your story.
Speaker 7: It was when I was a kid, me and my brothers. It would be Christmas. We'd go to bed and we'd get up and I would I would wake them up at like one two o'clock in the morning, and we'd go downstairs and Sana had already been there with the gifts under the tree.
Speaker 3: And we wake up mom and dad at two o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 7: At two o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: Ah, yep, Santa came early to your house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my folks were still up, you know, awaiting his arrival at two o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 7: And anyways, so mom and Dad pushed us off to bed and told us we couldn't get up, and about seven or eight, so we thought, okay, so I'd go back downstairs and I set all the clocks ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how old were you?
Speaker 7: I was probably about nine ten.
Speaker 2: Years old, little precoc Yes.
Speaker 7: Yep, I was the oldest out of the three.
Speaker 2: And did they fall for it?
Speaker 7: They fell for it.
Speaker 2: Oh, Good for you.
Speaker 7: Yep. We'd get my mom's foster parents' house and it would be four or five o'clock in the morning, and my dad kind of looked over at us and we'd be sound asleep on the coach.
Speaker 2: Good for you.
Speaker 5: Yoh.
Speaker 2: Fun.
Speaker 7: I have to say, I love your show.
Speaker 3: So are you going to do something fun this holiday? Set the clocks ahead?
Speaker 2: Or are you at the age where you're like, huh uh, let me sleep.
Speaker 7: I have kids myself.
Speaker 2: And have they ever pulled mom's trick?
Speaker 7: I'd have to laugh about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, all right, you have a merry Christmas.
Speaker 2: I'll be snoozing at two am.
Speaker 7: I hope, okay, alright, bye bye bye bye.
Speaker 1: I so hope you have enjoyed these radio moments as much as I enjoy bringing them to you. I'll share more with you each weekday on Hey It's Delilaud.