Speaker 1: Oh you fuck with Arsenal, you name every player, because when he posted that, I had tears in my eyes.
Speaker 2: I'm like zoring.
Speaker 3: Every day. This man makes everybody fall in love with him just a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's I I'm suspicious. I know it's the The thing that really fucked me up is him walking the length of New York and not get not being absolutely drenched and yeah.
Speaker 3: Well okay, I did see a couple of videos where clearly he was smart. He wore a white shirt and like, if you sweat a lot, it kind of does kind of just become this kind of.
Speaker 4: Translate pastes to your body.
Speaker 3: It made me respect him more.
Speaker 2: But there's somebody like my shirt effect and like, whoa, he's ripped under there. Then everyone's like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Every everything his messiness like leads to people being like, and he's hotter than we thought. Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three ninety four, Episode five of Deady's Guy. The exciting conclusion of season three ninety four, one of my favorite seasons of the podcast.
Speaker 1: It's actually been the best season, one of the best personally, I think for us. The amount of kind words that have been uttered to us.
Speaker 4: Our guests are like so nice, our listeners even nicer. Yeah, yeah, the listeners too nice. We've gotten some guest bookings on the horizon that we won't reveal as of yet, but very exciting. And we've got a guest booking today that we're very excited about. You. But this is a podcast where we take a deep dab into American shared consciousness. It's Friday, June twenty since twenty since twenty seventh, twenty twenty five. I'm coming in on a full William H. Macy and Fargo. I was a sweat flop, sweat everywhere, like just doing my best not to punch the steering wheel, just being like fuck because I my internet died right as we were about to start recording. Drove into the office, which is only ten minutes, realized I left my keys to the office at home, drove back home. So we're coming to you like forty minutes later than we were supposed to, all on account of me just having that real good William H. Macy, just everything collapsing around the energy, But thank you for your patience, My dear co host, What's happening on June twenty seven?
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, I was just so disappointed Jack that you just took so long. It was I thought, you know, my abandonment issues, so I had some stuff going on.
Speaker 2: With my family too, is very triggering. I mean, so it's.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's oh look, it's National Sunglasses to Day, National onion Day, National ice cream cake Day, National orange blossom Day, National HIV Testing Day, and National PTSD Awareness Day.
Speaker 6: So yeah, great, I love a sunglass.
Speaker 2: Do you call it song? Just put my sunglasses a long?
Speaker 1: Oh shit, Okay, onions, orange blossoms, great ice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, althay. If I had an HIV tester, you know, orange blossoms or any of those things, I would partake on those as well. That's that's a weird thing that radio DJs are always doing. They're always wearing sunglasses indoors.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's like the eighties movie version of a radio detail always.
Speaker 4: That's the last time I pitched.
Speaker 1: I think as someone who's worked a radio never seen somebody wear shades.
Speaker 2: That was the DJ on.
Speaker 1: The artists will come in on some cool ship and wear sunglasses, but the DJ is never they're working, and they're always wearing sweatpants.
Speaker 4: I'm too sleepy to wear sunglasses in the morning and you think it's put you to sleep. Yeah, just put me right asleep. Like, what is the bedtime names Jack O'Brien aka let me Sleep, let me slumber? Why the hell won't you open up? Are you just stupid? Oh? I see your stupid. That one courtesy of New Chris New christ Ventures with Old Christine. Is that something I don't know? It's something I wrote this morning. It's uh that that was a song from written from the perspective of my youngest when I wouldn't let him into our room when we were trying to do a sleep training. Just roasted me for like forty five minutes straight.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles grad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, straight off the streets of the San Fernando Valley is the Lord of Lankersham, the show gun.
Speaker 2: With no gun.
Speaker 1: It's Miles great. Thank you for having me. It's great to be also, it's great to have you Miles. Well, I just want to say up tob des Moines, zeit gang. I'm going to be in your city this weekend. I need recommendations, need to know where where do where do the where do the fine people of des Moines. Where do ZiT gang go?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Where's the food that I need to eat? I want to hear from y'all because I love y'all. Trust y'all, And if you see me in the streetside, what's up? But but do it you know politely?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, awesome, that'll be fun. I don't know you're going to des Moines?
Speaker 2: Yeah for a winning it's.
Speaker 1: You know, obviously, I'm not going to miss out on a chance to go to the great state of Iowa.
Speaker 4: Never Miles. We're thrilled to be joined in our third seat by an award winning playwright whose work has been developed and performed at the Public Theater in New York, Interact Theater in Philadelphia, the Royal Court in London.
Speaker 2: What the fuck is? What's he doing on this show?
Speaker 4: What is he doing on this show?
Speaker 2: Because you like the show?
Speaker 4: He's written on shows on TV from NBC's Law and Order, SVU, BT's American Soul, DMC's critically acclaimed Interview with a Vampire. What Oh. He also co hosts the podcast The Inner Cities Podcast. So all right, all right? That makes me feel better?
Speaker 2: Brings it back?
Speaker 6: Down a podcasts a podcaster.
Speaker 4: Please welcome to the show, Hey Zell, Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you for having me. God Williams. But let's hear it for Zorn Canada, who actually does shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it won't have it, but we love z all wrong.
Speaker 3: It was good to feel good.
Speaker 6: Doesn't it feel good to feel good?
Speaker 4: It was just all my good feelings were.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize that I was reading so many takes from people who are like, you know, a lot of leftists progressive have been just sort of conditioned into believing something like this was basically beyond reach, like a win like that, And I think that's why I was so this whole process, We're like.
Speaker 2: Is it okay?
Speaker 1: Is this for real?
Speaker 2: Surely?
Speaker 1: Is this gonna get fucking destroyed? Right, because that's what always happens every time this thing happens, and we think, oh, we're moving forward, are we tuesday?
Speaker 4: That their inner voice is Natasha Leoni? By the ways, Yeah, that's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna happen here.
Speaker 3: I could not believe it, and I refuse to believe it until he started talking, like until he gave his speech, like I was like, Okay, there this this isn't this could happen? I might have to go back. I used to live in a story and I left in twenty sixteen, and I'm like, do I do I need to go back? Is that what I's happened to?
Speaker 4: Do?
Speaker 2: I need to feel this?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, thank you guys for having me. I love the show, big fan.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you so much for coming on. Yeah, insane, but we're thrilled to have you. That's how did you like this show? You should talk to a therapist about liking this show. No, We're that's very nice to hear, and we're very happy to have you.
Speaker 2: Very flattered.
Speaker 4: We're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell the listeners a couple of the things we're talking about. We are going to talk about Zorn's success and how the New York Times is dealing with it, because that's mainly what I'm worried about, Like how are they gonna hang in there.
Speaker 3: With this, How they're gonna keep it together?
Speaker 4: How are they gonna keep it together? We'll talk about that. We will talk about just what the latest in the world of AI. We got a federal judge with an AI company and copyright case and all that plenty more. But first, Zell, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 3: Ninja rocks? Do you guys know what ninja rocks are?
Speaker 4: No, so it's like pipe rock theory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so rock rock right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Correct, right now? I know ninja rock. So I've seen a lot of videos recently of people actively throwing their bodies in front of like ice SUVs to keep their neighbors from being like a legally kidnapped, and it's very impressive. I love that, but I'm really really scared because these like chicken shits have no problem adding vehicular assaults to like the crimes they're already doing of like kidnapping and disappearing people. And then I remembered, or I started to remember something from my teenage years which I definitely never ever experimented with by the train tracks in Fresno, California, called ninja rocks. And basically it's this thing that I need to stress is wildly illegal if you are caught having them. Everybody needs to understand that. But if the choice is between getting hit by a car and spraying auto glass in the face of the Gestapo. If you take the ceramic from a spark plug.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: The colloquial term for that is ninja rocks. And I was thinking one day, like, what was that thing I was really fascinated by as a teenager that would make like auto glass explode? And I'm just like, at some point, the fact that we have allowed the federal government to allow mass people to just grab folks on the street compared to maybe just having something in case you happen to find into a car, it feels weird because like I I, you know, I also have lived in Los Angeles this entire time during the hellscape. We've all survived somehow, some way, guys, and it's been weird to just be riding my bike through a perfectly fine neighborhood but also have a national conversation about how falling apart, which is not true. So, like, I think we all need to be looking at alternatives for in case a car happens to decide our human life has no value, just saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are the options?
Speaker 1: I see a lot of people they're also saying you should throw glitter on them glitter is.
Speaker 3: Legal because they can't get it off glitter.
Speaker 1: I've also seen, you know, people being like, how do you make spike strips that kind of search term pop up.
Speaker 4: This is just a podcast where we talk about what is trending in the zeitgeist, and we're just talking about what's trends.
Speaker 3: We're just talking about We're just talking about.
Speaker 4: We're identifying trends and those trends.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: The other thing I.
Speaker 1: See too, is like a lot of times you see people really like pull their cars around like these uh, masked goons whoever the fuck they are, and like try and block them in, but then someone comes out with like a machine gun and tells them to back up. I'm like people just be like parking their car and taking the keys out and just split and being like all right, yeah try and this rab four.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's it's it's it's truly wild.
Speaker 1: Like just so many moments you see people who are like in total disbelief that they are this is like the interaction that they're having, but it's yeah, this is just the norm now. And now they're using facial recognition, like the the stuff that you like when you enter the country and they take a photo of you, they're you. They're accessing that data base now to facial like use facial recognition to like identify people that are getting in the way or like harassing the goons. It's really fucking dark out there, so have you.
Speaker 4: So I just I am new to Ninja rocks and I do just want to like it. We'll link off to this reddit demonstration of what they are, because like what just googling it and like your description of it. I thought I had a sense of what it was, but I thought it was.
Speaker 3: Like big no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: I thought it was like I.
Speaker 4: Was like, oh, a rock, like a ninja star that's like a full rock and there's like little points going. Ever, no, it's like literally like little shards of a spark that come off a spark look and again, illegal to have.
Speaker 3: In your pocket in case the scots stop you. I want to stress yet.
Speaker 4: But when you throw just a tiny little thing at the glass, the glass shatter, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I feel like better than getting hit by a car.
Speaker 4: And it's harder. Like again, you can't really google it. It's it's not that easy to find other than on the reddit you can find YouTube.
Speaker 3: I I because I actually could not remember. I thought I thought they were called Ninja rocks, and I was like, I think that's the thing I came up with when I was a kid, because I like ninja turtles or something. And then it turns out no, the was Ninja rocks.
Speaker 4: I just love Wikipedia.
Speaker 1: There's from the American Ceramics Society and it said video Ninja Rocks exploit ceramics dark side.
Speaker 2: Amazing, Oh the hidden side of cerami.
Speaker 3: Your mother never told you this in pottery class?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Zelle, what's some of the things underrated? Uh?
Speaker 3: Ceres Castle, I think you're ad in mine. So I think Seres is LA's best journalist, like working right now. She was a guest on my podcast The Inner Cities and we did it on YouTube and it's the first time we did that and it worked out really well. But like cerse has this ability to find local LA stories that have impact nationally, and I think she's prominently known for exposing sheriff games back in twenty twenty one with her piece on La Taco. She has now moved to a new group called Capital in Maine, and she has been following the story of Aby Hernandez Aby Hernandez is a student athlete who has been targeted by their own school superintendent for being trans and she has been performing very, very well, but she's also being beaten by other young women who've identified as women since birth, so just proving that there's really no case here. And she's having adults who have no children in the school whatsoever, come to her meets and harass her. And she was also targeted by President Trump and a true social statement, which I think again, Soerice is like, has been on top of stories that have such deep resonance and that you may not even be realizing is happening in your community. And I just love her death. So check out series, follow her on everything, Follow any journalists she suggests to follow, because I gotta be honest with you. I you know, also doing a podcast where we talk about the news. I basically stop looking at American journalism. When it comes to stories about American I go to the Guardian, I go to like Lemon because speak a little French. But when it comes to yeah, like, when it comes to stories, I'm looking directly at the intercept. I'm looking like occasionally wired, Wired's still good, but like it's hard. So you got to support these Yeah, yeah is the best.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like hyper local, like deep reporting on stories.
Speaker 1: And so fucking just so devoted to truth and speaking truth to power and at any I mean like just thinking of the like the harassment she was getting after the LASD Gangs thing and just does not stop her.
Speaker 3: I don't know if she ever said this publicly. She had to hire a bodyguard during that year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we heard about that yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like it's crazy. He's the best, He's amazing, totally.
Speaker 4: What is something you think's over it?
Speaker 3: Unions that don't support other unions and this one might get me in trouble. So this spring, the Writers Guild of America, which I've been part of since twenty fourteen, their staff voted to unionize, and I am very thrilled for them. I was a Writer's Guild captain during the strike in twenty twenty three the entire time. We could not have won that without the staff. I don't know if people realized it. It wasn't just writers out there. The administrators of the staff, the lawyers of the staff, the accounts of the staff. They were all there setting up our pickets and managing them for us and occasionally like dealing with emergency response and instances, so they are amazing. They were the backbone of the strike. When the staff decided to organize, they were met with what I would consider to be a little more resistance than I would hope from another union, and it was really disappointing. The most upsetting thing of this is that the the WGA fired a labor labor organizer named Fatima Mareta, and Fatima was an organizer for La Hotels before she came to us to help out, and she really did this groundwork to make it more than just like TV writers demanding more money. We were picketing and marching with hotel workers in this town, and we showed up at their rallies. It was really really amazing, and I felt I felt really for the first time, particularly being like a working class kid who whose mom had a union job, and that's the only reason I was able to go to college and become a writer in from Fresno, which I feel like people don't understand how far that is from LA even though it's not really that far from LA, it's very far from LA. I felt a kinship and a community that I have not really felt all the time, I without being in the actual thing, in the actual like Writers Guild Staff Union, which is what it's called, the Writers' Guild Staff Union. I don't know what happened. They said they let her go from cause, but the union itself is asking the Writers Guild to reinstate Fatima, and I really support this. I really really am saddened that this has been the reaction of the Writers Guild because I showed up at three am for pickets because my union asked me too. When I was harassed by studio lots during this picket, I still showed up. When I was sometimes harassed by WGA members who didn't like me asking them to not get hit by a car, I still showed up. And I will always have more solidarity with Fatima, who is an immigrant who worked for like working class people in this town than I ever will the like white millionaires who were constantly giving speeches and telling me what to do that time. I'm really upset. If I could give a piece of action to people to zeitgang like, go to their instagram, the WGA Staff Union Instagram and just follow them and say congratulations. That's all you have to do. If you are a WGA member, and this is the first time you're hearing about this. You need to ask your captain why this happened and let them know that it upsets you because she was an amazing labor organizer. And it's really really sad what the guilds do. They're not even talking about it. They said she was fired for cause, and I know enough people in the staff to know that that's not a good enough answers.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 3: I will say, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So's the staff of the Guilt newly.
Speaker 3: Formed in April. They they fired her the day before they announced their formation, which is sus Writers Guild Staff Union. Is what you should look for on Instagram. Just follow them, and if you're in the guild, be nice, be nice about asking the question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, great, overhanded, underrated.
Speaker 4: We are gonna take a quick break.
Speaker 2: We're gonna come back.
Speaker 4: We're gonna talk about We're gonna check in on our friends at the New York Times see how they're dealing with all this upheaval, all the stunning, shocking changes of be right back and we're back, We're back, and yeah, so I just I just want to read the headline and then the sort of subhead from the New York Times one Zorn's mayoral win primary win, uh said, Donnie success in mayoral primary reverberates beyond New York City. Yeah that makes sense, yeah, yeah yeah. And then as Zorammdanni pledges major changes after his apparent primary win, national Democrats are looking for lessons and Republicans see a new political target. So that's the headline that you would have if the Democrats like that sounds like it's bad news for the Democrats. Yeah, the Democrats are looking for answers or lessons and the Republicans are licking their chops.
Speaker 3: I mean that the news for them because he's showing that like, if you actually give people what they want, they will vote for you. And now the Democrats are going to have to do that for shame.
Speaker 6: What I didn't read the article.
Speaker 1: When they say they're looking for lessons, Did they mean that to say this is potentially a new path for Democrats, like they can learn from this, or they're like how did they fuck up? And not added to Quomo not win lessons a.
Speaker 4: Little bit of that. I mean, there's there's a lot of donors in there who are like, well, we're just gonna have to solidify behind Mayor Eric Adams now. And then there's one donor who said, I feel like people misunderstood my two hundred and fifty thousand dollars for Cuomo for real enthusiasm. It was basically, oh, looks like Cuomo's coming back. We don't want to be shut out. Let's try and get on his good side.
Speaker 3: I wish I had two hundred and fifty thousand dollars I could spend unenthusiastically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like, oh, don't mix that up for enthusias. That's just a cour that's a cool quest, or a million just just to keep my name a little just in the conversation.
Speaker 2: That's it. Don't take that.
Speaker 4: Don't want to be shut out.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean, I mean it was that or another another house that I could flip. So I just decided one less flippable house.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's right. Yeah, already have five of those. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But it's just I don't know. It seems like so much of the democratic establishment is powered by either people voting for them or donating to them, because that's who they think always wins, and they're like the lesser of two evils. That's really like, how where their power comes from, and their brand is currently catastrophic failure to do the obvious thing they needed to do to win. That's what the last big moment they had, Well, they give it.
Speaker 3: Let them fail so that in nine months then they can say, look how they fail and we'll all be dead. But they can.
Speaker 6: Say that, right, like how we killed our base.
Speaker 4: Whoops, it's really giving Nico And like the the Luca trade, it's just bad because I just like the what the Democrats did in the twenty twenty four election, where like they came in, had like a little spark at the start, and we're like, we're gonna call them weird, We're gonna like talk about price gouging and shit like that, and then immediately started like tacking right and just ignoring what everybody in their base like knew they should do. Is like, yeah, it's it's giving Nico. Like the ninety eight percent of their fans and supporters would have done a better job than they just did. And it was like a highly public, highly consequential this series of decisions that they just failed at in a way that we were like, well that seems wrong, like over and over repeatedly.
Speaker 3: You know what, I mean yes, and it's the same thing they did in twenty twenty. I won't. I'm still upset about March twenty twenty when Bernie was doing okay and then like Amy klover Jar and Buddha Judge and everybody was just like, oh shit, let's just jump behind the centrist and it's it's it's them attacking what their voters actually want like they it's it's it's we're never going to freaking learn this lesson of doing slow Fascism is what I think the Democrats are pitching to us, because it's like they keep saying like, oh, democracy is in danger. We have to do things that like actually in it, like energize people, and then Zoron comes out here and is like, I'm a freezer rent. I'm actually going to do some price controls for food. I'm not saying you got a shop at the NYC grudge shop at the grit do it. I don't care. I'm gonna make buses fast and free. None of this is bad. Like the fact that the Democrats, which are supposed to be the opposition party, have like you know, Hakim Jeffries, I think a couple like right after the election finally said like I'm gonna sit down and talk to this or really really like a year into his or two years into him running for this seat, you finally decided that you're going to You're going to stand for the guy who is not the sexual predator. You're going to stand for the guy who was not killing people's grandmas. And like it's I'm still trying to understand why Andrew Cuomo thought he could come back, because it's like that was three years ago. Dog like some of us have like COVID brain, but not that I remember my grandma.
Speaker 1: That you did. The established I mean, I think all these establishment Democrats, whether they're like part of the infrastructure of the party or the politicians themselves, they just think it's it's still nineteen ninety eight or some shit like they're thinking is stuck there and they don't even see like what the what the consequences are of them constantly knocking back a perceived leftist or hyper ultra left wing policy in favor for something that looks more like two.
Speaker 4: Thousand and four Republicans yea, And they're like they're pitches fascism you can sleep through. And he's like, change that you can believe in, and they're like, I think we want the fascism you can sleep through. I think that's what people prefer. They've been doing it for like a decade now. It's it's brunch. Fascism is what you can get, and that's pretty what. You know.
Speaker 1: Some people are insulated enough that they're fine with a world like that, but the majority of us that live in this country are absolutely not. And I think they don't realize that. Every time they knock one of these policies back, they're saying fuck you to all the people that stood to benefit from that policy. They don't realize that. But when they say every time they don't take action on police brutality and shit like that, they lose people. Okay, every time they've pump faked codifying row, they lose people. Every Time they don't take aggressive action to fight corporate greed, they lose people. Every time they don't they fucking fail the dreamers. They lose people. So how the fuck do they think they're gonna get him back by being like, well, we're gonna do some really cheeky rezoning to help some you know, this luxury condo will have fourteen affordable units, within it.
Speaker 4: Like at a time and place of our choosing. That's the summary of just being like we're gonna do that at a time and place of our choosing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think they realize, you know, because again, so much of the power in the Democratic Party is either old or is capitulating to the old I e.
Speaker 2: Hockey and Jeffries.
Speaker 3: And it's just like they don't realize the word socialism is not it's not nineteen fifty eight. Like kids aren't scared of that.
Speaker 2: Like most like nineteen fifty eight.
Speaker 3: In this I mean they talk like it's nineteen fifty eight. I mean like fucking day after, not even a day after he wins. It's just like there's gonna be a nine eleven in New York.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be his fault.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, okay, first of all, whatever, I don't know where to begin.
Speaker 1: With that, but like because oh, because it was Juliani's fault too, Is that what I know?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: I was just saying because he's a Muslim, that that's that that equals nine to eleven. Okay, cool, yeah, you're you're naked. Islamophobia also ain't hidden.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like I don't think. I don't think my niece. I have a five sisters, so I have billion nieces and laftews. I don't think these kids under like they're not even kids anymore, most of young adults, but like socialism is not a scary thing to them. Like a lot of them, they grew up in a world where they could see a kid in a country that had like socialist leaders, and they're fine. They're perfectly fine. I'm and I'm a big fan of France. I talk about it way too much, as my friend tell me. But like the mayor of France is a socialist France. Yeah, an Hildago, she's this amazing socialist who has been pushing through like things like making France even more. Sorry, Mayor, I said, Mayor France, forget me, don't judge me French people.
Speaker 7: American right now, I know, Oh god, you have no idea how deeply you cut me by pointing that out the mayor of Paris.
Speaker 1: I was confused because I was willing to be like, oh, maybe that this is just a position.
Speaker 3: I no, no, no, no, no, I wish, Mayor, I actually I don't wish, but like an Hildago, the mayor of Paris, specific with the city of Parents, which is not France. I know that French people forgive me uh is a socialist and has been making the city bikable and walkable. And guess what, she's not the left most leftist party in the country. Like it's it's there are wonderful things that can happen if your party makes their core. We actually want to distribute wealth and resources, and and younger people know that. And frankly, I think they I think they finally understand that we've been conning them this whole time with this idea that like America just is the best. It's like, no, we can I got, I got fucking TikTok. Like I can see people going to like on vacation for months.
Speaker 4: And America once. That's why they're undermining us. Yeah, that's exactly, That's how they That's how they win.
Speaker 1: America is like a like a like an ultra sports car from the eighties. But every year you get further from the eighties, the more it looks like shit, you know what I mean, And you're like, oh, no, bro blowing up in that. It looks fucking weird now, and people are like, hey man, it's a Ferrari or whatever, it's a Doorian.
Speaker 4: These yeah, could really go for like fifteen seconds.
Speaker 1: But like what Zorin is even you know, a lot his policies aren't necessarily like capital s socialism either, Like these are things like that you would have seen FDR like get behind. It's like, hey man, we got to make some food affordable. How about we expand the ability for people to take care of their kids and you know, but these again, these are things that are just straight to the point because he's consistent around the concept of shit costs too much and we need to do something that the people will actually feel like when you say it, they go, ah, yes, that rather than bureaucratic like wonk talk and they're like, oh great, a three point the three percent, Like what.
Speaker 2: Like you start talking shit like that.
Speaker 1: People don't understand free buses, yes, right, price controlled supermarket great, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, free things for new parents, how dare you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But that's why I think it's so dangerous, so difficult for the mainstream to deal with is just the one thing that they had that the Democrats had was the idea that they were the path, like they were the practical path, like the you know, socialism is nice in theory, you can't win elections. It scares people, and then you.
Speaker 3: Know, people wildly vote for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then everybody.
Speaker 2: Votes for it.
Speaker 4: And there I think now they're like, well, it doesn't you can't actually do it. But I just want to read this other quote from the article. But with Democrats shut out of power in Washington and focused on taking back the House next year, it remains unclear how closely senior lawmakers will embrace mister Momdani as they try to flip battleground districts where his far left stances might alienate voter. It is, of course no acknowledgment that this very publication where this is being written was saying this very same thing about his policies in New York City, right, Like they were like New York is tacked right and like traditionally like they've been open to voting for Democrats and Republicans. Oh and also it is the like this is said elsewhere in the article, it is the fucking capital of capitalism.
Speaker 2: It is the.
Speaker 4: Capital of capitalism. They just voted for a socialist and they're like, well that couldn't work anywhere else.
Speaker 1: Oh, so said it couldn't work there as far as I know, those ago those people don't eat food or have babies to take care of in that in those battle ground states.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if these policies will fucking appeal, Like, are be for real?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Where is this place they're talking about? Because like I will Okay, granted again, I come from Fresnoe, California. It's a very conservative air part of California. They may be, they may still be afraid of like the term socialism, But if you just talk to people about like, yo, do you want your house to be like less expensive? Right, they're down? Would you like eggs to just be a normal price? Again?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Absolutely down for it? Like do you have a problem giving a new mother some supplies to get started with?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: What what? What kind of monster would? No one is against these policies. They're against the the fear mongering that you do around it. They're against this idea that somehow raising the tax on the wealthiest people in your town is going to impact most people, when in actuality, if you go back to when you keep talking about what America was great, those people would have been paying like fifty percent taxes.
Speaker 2: It's insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like and then I think people people are beginning to realize that like all the fear around you know, a wealth like progressive taxes on the wealthy, they're they're ambiently getting all that fear from the media that they fund, you know what I mean. So like at a certain point of taka, like, do I know somebody who's actually get fucked over by these progressive wealth taxes?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Actually I stand a benefit from all these other policies.
Speaker 2: So this is a dec There's also.
Speaker 1: Like the amount of just bed pissing from the Democratic consultant class is so telling that I think that they are I think they do see that they are losing.
Speaker 2: Their grip a bit, like on the party.
Speaker 1: And because this is where it's getting real, Like we've been saying since the election, like the next fight for the Democrats is who is going to be at the wheel of this party. Is it going to be the progressives, Is it going to be where all this energy is right now? Or are they going to do everything they can to just rest control again and drag this thing to the right. This one strategist told political quote, it is extremely alarming that the only candidates who genuinely excite our voters are the ones making absolutely insane promises on politically toxic positions. That's their take on what has just happened. That's how they're trying to spin that, is that like, this is all fucking stupid quote leaving us in the spot of trying to execute on bad policy and losing terribly or failing to keep our promises, and reinforcing the idea that all politics is bullshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, So.
Speaker 1: Again, I think we're saying all of their reflexive habits of just spending money on studies and going for a superficial deregulation and like zoning reform is just not working anymore, And I think this must be This feels kind of like probably what never trumpers were thinking when Trump stepped on the scene in twenty fifteen, that were like they did fucking everything. They're like, bro, get this guy out of here. He's doesn't know what the fuck time. It is, like we have our own neo con shit that we're on that we're really we've protected this thing. We have all the money, we control the media. Let's say we can get this guy out the box.
Speaker 2: But they fucking couldn't.
Speaker 6: They could not, They couldn't. And he's still fucking won.
Speaker 1: And I think he just again he had an appeal sadly to the voters that felt like the party wasn't really following through on their like racial grievances, and Trump was there for that, and they're like, yeah, you know what, that's kind of what I'm kind of what I've been missing, really and in this, in this and with Mamdani, he's appealing to the voters who are fucking sick and tired of the Democrats just failing to liver and just talking around things getting better, and they don't realize that that's what's happening. It's like the ship gets hollowed out and somebody's offering what you want.
Speaker 2: They're all gonna move.
Speaker 1: This way now, so and there, And again you look at all the money they spent trying to smear mom Donnie, like all the those fucked up attack ads trying to paint him as a terrorist and ship. And he's still fucking won. And I think again, there's I think they're they're starting to be like, fuck man like, but but we don't do stuff that's going against the status quo.
Speaker 2: We're they're a fuck.
Speaker 6: We're the constant gardeners of the status quo.
Speaker 3: And he won by getting people to go out again, Like, can we just acknowledge that the big factor of last the last presidential election was a lot of people just did not want to vote because you gave them the choice between the crazy guy that they had experienced already and somebody who was doing a fucking whistle stop tour with Liz Cheney, Like you we need.
Speaker 2: To excite people. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were like, you know, what would be a ideas if we ran against Trump with something that is as close to Jeb Bush as possible, the person that he'd be in the very first place to make it clear to everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please class, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna add did you guys see Bill Ackman's like frantic midnight tweet I heard about People were saying him and Elon's tweets were real something that night of the primary. What was his I either, So it's it's again He's not. I'm not saying Bill Ackman is a part of the Democratic Party. I am saying he's one of these people who would literally give money to anyone who would stop progressive from doing anything, But, like he literally said, I woke up in the morning gravely concerned about New York City. I thought, what.
Speaker 8: Has New York City become that it avowts of an avowed socialist has supported, who supported defunding the police, whose solution to lowering food prices is city owned supermarkets, Who doesn't understand that freezing the rent will only reduce the supply of housing, who has no experience managing organists, let alone a city of one hundred million, one hundred billion dollar budget and two trillion dollar economy, and who believes that chance of globalizing the are acceptable? When's the democratic primary? And it's just like every time I see something like that. By the way, that's the first paragraph of I don't even know how many paragraphs I'm looking.
Speaker 3: At here, God, but like he is looking literally for anyone to run against him, and basically saying, I will fucking destroy democracy in the city of New York before I allow these people to have a progressive.
Speaker 2: Lead, right, And because they see what time it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And I'm my big fear and concern, And I'm sure there are smarter people working with Zoron who who have thought about this is that the Democratic, the mainstream establishment Democratic Party having the chance to get like Bill Eichman money, will trade the city of New York for that money. And that is what I think we all need to be looking out for because if we don't, if I'm judging the Democratic Party for the for the next election based on how strongly they support Zorahan going out, because like the man did it.
Speaker 4: He did it.
Speaker 3: He fought, he fought an established democratic machine legacy, NEPO baby, he fought the billionaires who were giving him money. He fought the general racism of America, and he got people to show up. And if you can't get behind that, I don't even know if this country even has an opposition party, the rope up Republicans anymore.
Speaker 1: And I mean that's where I think talk, like serious talk has to be about, like where where does this energy go? Because it can't be put They can't be trusted with the Democrats at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it has to, right, like the Democrats just need to fucking step up, because yeah, and good luck.
Speaker 1: But again, the thing is right, all of these this donor class, the consultant class, they see that all this energy is coming from young people, normal people who aren't wealthy and are starting to realize, oh, this this inequality is fucked up, and for them, they're like, shit.
Speaker 6: Man, they're fucking realizing that we're fucking drink. We've been drinking their fucking milkshake for centuries now, and they're getting behind policies that are actually going to address that.
Speaker 3: I don't want to live in that world.
Speaker 4: We need to stop him. Have you guys ever seen Dark Knight Rises? I'm aware, yes, yesterday there's a guy who went on MSNBC and was like, they're talking eat the Rich. Have you ever seen Dark Knight Rises? The part where they make the stockbrokers walk on frozen river and then they fall through? That's I mean, I'm just saying like, that's like, he's a lot of stammers. Yeah, he was evoking bane, which is always the sign that they're in a uh in touch with three.
Speaker 3: I think people forget how Gotham City got, how Gotham was people were treated like shit, and eventually a rich person got got and one rich person was like, maybe I'll do something about.
Speaker 2: This on my watch.
Speaker 4: A let's take a quick break, we'll be right back, and we're back and update in the world of AI. A federal judge just ruled in favor of Anthropic, the very not evil sounding AI company, and declared that artificial intelligence developers can train models using published books without authors consent. Cool cool cool for thoroughly transformative. Is exceedingly transformative, is what the judge said.
Speaker 2: I haven't looked into is.
Speaker 4: This judge, Like, is this judge an AI? Are they funded by the decision filed Monday and US District Court for the Northern District of California. Huh, yeah, what's up in Northern California.
Speaker 6: I don't know, like it's one of them, Valley the Silicone.
Speaker 4: Or something, but it was. The suit was brought by several authors who didn't grant permission for their books to be used to train AM models, and the judge was like, that's tough shit. I guess right, yeah, which you know, some people have pointed out, like I don't know this. There there are some limits to this, but it does create a precedent for courts to favor AI companies over individuals in AI copyright disputes, and obviously AI companies pretty well funded as far as I can tell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, they're sure the precedent is there. But I think a lot of people are saying like that doesn't mean every every court will follow suit.
Speaker 2: But it but it does.
Speaker 1: I mean there is a precedent now, But I think, yeah, this is just you know, the slow, slow creep to I think, like the large the biggest thing for me, and you hear a lot of people, a lot of creative people and artists talk about this in different ways. Is like, how like, really it's not just like that the works can be used to just make AI slop that it can slowly erode our like humanity and our will to create things from our own minds, you know what I mean, And having these tools like that. I'm sure obviously I think that people who are compelled to create will always do that. But broadly, if it's like becomes so easy by and I just type the words in and now here's a video of the Pope of you know, making a pizza out of a bed sheet or whatever, You're like, this is really going to sounds so sick, that is I look, I just did the anthropic was pretty cool. But I just all that to say is I can really see how this really disincentivizes just even like the learning of an artistic skill. When when things become created so like out of thin air so easily, And I think that's just like kind of the freaky part I think about all the time, like.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: You know, like when anyone can do everything, not to say that that's a bad thing, but what does that mean for the process of creating things?
Speaker 3: I think you have hit on that because we talked about this during the strike all the time, because you know, we were AI was kind of new in the conversation and we're like, what if they replaced us? And then we started seeing what AI made and it's like, well, this is a dog shit yeah, and it'll get better, I'm sure as it steals from more people. But like, at its core, there's this thing that I don't think people are really thinking about.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I don't want to hear what a computer has to say about being a black man in America. Miles. I don't know about you, but like.
Speaker 2: I'm open, let's see where they're going with us.
Speaker 6: Let's see where this racist day I might be going with this day.
Speaker 3: It's going to make like the people engage with art because it resonates with them, and generally people want to feel a human connection to the source of the art. I am sorry if you you might be able to trick people into thinking that, you know, oh, let's just let's let's pretend that like Fucking Sinners was made by AI. Ryan's been lying to us this whole time, right, and we saw this, this movie that was created by AI. Once you realize that people not only not only do people lose engagement with the art and with what they create, but it loses its place in the in the zeitgeist, that is that is what this and this is what you cannot teach a lot of these like tech bros And executives. That's what art is is that at its core is it is a thing that connects with people. Like Barbie is America's most if you really think about it, Barbie's in one of America's most absurdist films. When you think about it, it is about adult who lives in an existence and then somehow magically trans transfers into reality and has to deal with the oppressive the oppressive force of misogyny. Like that is a crazy concept, and the thing that makes it work is the connection that everyone feels to having struggled against that, and I'm you know, I'm again, I'm a writer. I obviously have a stake in this, but like I I think that at I think that as you go farther down this, it's going to there's gonna be We're already seeing like fewer and fewer returns from AI, Like people know what AI slop is if you're under the age of fifty and you care.
Speaker 2: And they don't like it, Like people.
Speaker 3: Are actively rejecting it. Also, it's fucking boiling our fucking ocean, right yeah, to your point of like I was listening to some track online and I was like, what.
Speaker 6: The fuck is this just kind of freaky sample they got.
Speaker 1: Come to find out it's this French guy who just like cooks up AI samples and then like flips them.
Speaker 6: They don't really describe themselves as an artist.
Speaker 1: But for me, I immediately was like, ah, all right, like whatever, like it just like it's like to your point in like, oh, this was so much more impressive when you when you cause again someone who makes music, like you know the time it takes to find a sample, to to mess with it, to alter it and be something new, and it's just like, oh no, I just just do this to kind of find like weird stuff and I make other things. It just I don't know, it just completely took the enjoyment out of it for me. So yeah, yeah, it's true, like you you want to connect to another person's creative process through enjoying their art.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like people mainly use it. It's like this look how like weird and like bad this shit, Like that's the one place I've seen people be like the hallucination is the point kind of like when the computer gets really weird and you feel like you're looking at someone's brain melting, like that's the only good thing.
Speaker 3: But that's such a good point.
Speaker 4: That almost feels like it's just like when someone's like playing a guitar and like shredding the string, you know, like it's just it's like the fun of it is it being used against its purpose.
Speaker 3: The most popular AI is AI that looks like shit, so we can laugh at it. Yeah, always what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah all right, well Zelle again, sorry for the truncated run time. That is my fault, but it's been a truth. I having you and we can't wait to have you back. Uh where can people find you? Follow you? Hear you all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: You can go to the Inner Cities podcast wherever you get podcasts. We started doing video podcast as well. You can go do YouTube dot com slash at the Inner Cities and you can see the interview I did with series. And I'm azel Will on most things. I have a website called azel Will dot com, my Blue Sky and my ig or azel Will and uh oh yeah. You can find me on Twitch and I'm actually starting to do this experiment of writing plays live if you want to see a playwright struggle writing plays live on Tuesday nights and then other times I'm on Twitch getting my ass beat in Street Fighter six, so you can see that as well.
Speaker 2: So what do you mean?
Speaker 3: Oh oh, Aki Aki is the best and anybody Punk the God has said a lot of shit about Aki. You need to stop talking about my girl. You're mad because you know she's good Punk. I respect you, don't don't come at me. I'm sorry. If you know the FGC, if you know the Fighting game community, I just stepped to a person I should not and I already regret it. I am the j Cole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't mean that. I mean that.
Speaker 3: Please leave alone.
Speaker 2: Please. People were pressuring me to have that response and it was misguided. Yeah, don't please, don't blame Kendrick.
Speaker 4: Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: Duster On HBO Max, there's a new show by jj Abrams and LaToya Morgan that I cannot understand why nobody's talking about. Like it's or I mean, I know there's a lot of stuff going on, but it's like they have a very very beautiful look and high quality show that stars Rachel Hilson from The Good Wife and Josh Holloway from Lost and in the National backdamn Treasure. Yeah yo, then the National Treasure that is Keith David in his buttery smooth voice. The show is about a black female FBI agent trying to take down a black crime family in Arizona, and it's set in the seventies. Like I said, it's got a great soundtrack, It looks really good, the violence is really over the time and fun. But it's just it's a really good show. And it's one of these shows where, particularly as somebody who works in this industry, I don't know how marketing decides to market things. I think it has something to do with like it came out sort of towards the tail end of the of the Last of Us season two, so I think they were just like pumping all their money into Pager, which I get. Like, it's a good show, it's fun. Watch Duster.
Speaker 1: I started, I started watching is it is it a pretty jj Abrams show.
Speaker 3: It's a jj Abrams show. It's a good time show. It is not like I don't think you're gonna sit and watch be like it's not the bear, Like you're not gonna have like an emotional journey with Duster. But that's why I watch Dusters because like it's fun. You get to see cool seventy shit and again, like soundtrack is not it's perfect, it's great.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, Miles, where can people find you as their work media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 1: Yes, find us everywhere on or find Me, I was about to do the ending of Mad Boostie's jack I gotta get that out of me.
Speaker 6: I gotta get that out of me. You can find me everywhere after?
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, but you can also find us in the final series finale episode of Miles and Jackot Mad Boosti's or we Reep Up the NBA Finals and cry and beg the NBA not to stop the show, but it And also if you want to hear me talk about ninety day Fiance, you can find me over there at four to twenty day Fiance. Some works of media I like. Here's some posts that I enjoyed on Blue Ski. The first one is at Firefox dot com. He just said to close one's tab is to admit you were never truly committed to the journey. And I kind of feel like that is kind of the hesitation I have sometimes when I'm closing a tab at cl hubes that be's got as social posted Cris Cross Apple Sauce is the best woke.
Speaker 6: Rebrand of all time. So catchy caught on immediately A plus.
Speaker 4: Woke work which really well done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ashman.
Speaker 1: Last when Ashmon Rodriguez dot com Muslim guy, what if a poor person could buy vegetables?
Speaker 2: Reasonable New Yorker. I am moving to a whites.
Speaker 1: Only compound eleven four miles away from here as soon as possible. Please invite me onto the television to say this again.
Speaker 4: They will be they will be on TV.
Speaker 3: That's America, That's the New York.
Speaker 4: Times I was looking for. You can find me on Twitter at jack Underscore, Brian on Blue Sky at jack Obi the Number one enjoyed. A tweet from Ella at Blonde Hot Coffee tweeted, the lion does not concern himself with the check engine light and that's those are facts. You can find us on Twitter and Blue Sky at Daily Zeikeeist. We're at v Daily Zeitgeist. On Instagram, you can go to the description of the episode wherever you're listening to it, and there you will find the footnotes. No, which is where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode. We also link off to a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, is there a song that you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is out of straight out of Georgia. Eddie nine V amazing.
Speaker 1: Soul, blues funk kind of singer musician. This track that I will recommend called Love Move Slow. It feels like this could have been like an Al Green track or an Isley Brothers track, like the production, the esthetic, like it's so so on point for that era. But it's it's now baby, It's it's modern music. So this is a fantastic track. Eddie nine B Love Moves Slow All right.
Speaker 4: We will link off to that in the footnote for The Daily ZEI Guys is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this week.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: We are back on Monday to tell you what was trending, and on Saturday we do a little Greatest Hits.
Speaker 2: Of the week. The weekly is like catch up on.
Speaker 4: You bye Brian the editor, so you can go check out anything you missed, but we will talk to you all on Monday.
Speaker 2: Have a good one, bye bye bye.
Speaker 6: The Daily Zeit Guys is executive produced by Catherine Long, co produced by Bay Wag, co produced by Victor.
Speaker 3: Wright, co written by J.
Speaker 6: M McNabb, edited and engineered by Justin Connor.
Speaker 4: Hundred actor st