Speaker 1: And now.
Speaker 2: Watching going my mic back, you're like that time we can strike borders with waters from headquarters behind in the the border.
Speaker 1: For those of you just tuning into Civic Cycer, I'm your host Ramses job he is John, I am q Ward. Welcome back to Civic Site from Stay tuned. We got a lot more Civic Cycer in store for you. For those that were around for the first part of the show, we were talking about the indictment of former president of the United States of America and we alluded to some of the obvious double standards that were present in that situation. I like, I see the theme coming here. Yeah, No, we got a lot more to talk about. There's a lot of news that we don't get to cover on this show. Unfortunately, there's so much that fits underneath this umbrella that we just can't get to were an hour a week show. But there's a few stories that we're going to talk about, uh where that double standard is on full display for everyone to see. So if you're not aware, stay tuned, listen up, and then you'll be able to see exactly how this country treats people differently according to how they look. But before we get there, it is time to be a b A baba become a better ally Today's Baba sponsored by Major Threads or the finest in quality sports where check Major Threads dot com. And for Today's Baba, we have something that's a little different. It's more of a personal favor. We always say that the show is growing continues to grow with your support. We always ask if you want to make donations, to hit the website and do that. And there's a number of ways that you can support this show if you believe in what we're trying to do, which is educate people, inform people, empower people, and create stronger allies. Well, Q had the most brilliant idea of all times.
Speaker 3: You guys got to take Rams with a grain of salt, especially when he's talking about me, because he you know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, like he goes far. It was brilliant. Sure, it was brilliant. And he thought we should start live streaming the recordings of the show.
Speaker 3: Right, So for folks that I think we should start live streaming in general.
Speaker 1: Okay that too, Yeah you did say that, but because we.
Speaker 3: Want to be engaged with you guys, like live streaming the recording is cool. But then we're doing a job and can't interact with you. I want to have live content where we're talking to and engaging with you guys exactly, and.
Speaker 1: All that's coming. But we got all the live stream stuff set up. And so for folks that want to jump on with us, interact with us in real time, to send questions along, just kind of talk with us as we have these conversations. Subscribe to our YouTube channel. It's very simple, YouTube dot com slash civic cipher that's c I B I C c I P h ere there's no whys in there. And for those that can't donate, watch the live stream or subscribe to the YouTube channel because that also helps monetize this show, or do both, or do both, all right, So now let's talk about the double standard we live with, all right. The most obvious, flagrant recent example comes from the world of sports. There are two people named Angel Reese, and she faced off against a person named Caitlin Clark. What I know is that Angel Reese is a black woman and that Caitlin Clark what is a white woman. But you could tell the story a lot better than I could, So why don't you set us up?
Speaker 3: Angel Reese, buy you, Barbie. Oh see, I didn't even know that tournament MVP for the NCUBLEA women's tournament in March Madness, most double doubles in the history of the NCUBLEA tournament, First Team All American now national champion.
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: However, Miss Caitlyn Clark, guard IOWA Big Ten Player of the Year might be National Player of the Year when it's all said and done.
Speaker 1: Incredible basketball player.
Speaker 3: Most points I think in the history of the tournament, or at least in the history of a single season for the nc double A different style of coverage, but not different style of play. Miss Caitlyn Clark is not black. Miss angel Rees is. And that's where the double standards starts because Miss Caitlin Clark does not just get busy on the basketball court. She makes sure that you understand that she's getting busy on the basketball court. And the reason why this is a topic most of you listening to this show, this became a national story because we're stupid. This didn't come a national story because of these two young ladies. Nothing that they did should have been newsworthy except be phenomenal basketball players both of them, and I mean phenomenal, not oh she's pretty good, or even more ignorantly.
Speaker 1: Oh she's pretty good for a girl. No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: These two young ladies will probably give Ramsen and I the business game after game after game, and we would just be tired and whooped like that's all that would that's all we would have to say. So if you've watched either of them play, they might be two of the best to ever play. Except every conversation from the time that game ended until today about the two of them have been about the color of their skin and the way that what they do is received by public eye. If Qwan and Ramsays were playing basketball, or Shaq and Kobe, or Michael and Lebron, or any magic and bird, any of your great rivals that you think in your head, or great players that you think in your head, were playing against each other and they were talking trash, black or white, as long as they were men, they'd be celebrated for it. Caitlin got celebrated for it. ESPN did an entire segment with different players talking about how she's the back queen because of how effectively effectively she trash talks when she plays. She's demonstrative again, It's not just that the ball keeps going in. It's that she keeps reminding you that, ironically, you can't see me. For our audience, most of you, just by hearing what I said, know what that means. But during the tournament, during the season, everything from pulling her jersey up to yelling at the crowd, to dismissing opponents, waving them off to shoot wide open because she didn't respect them enough to even guard them. You're that trash. I'm gonna just let you shoot self check you on our team.
Speaker 1: Go for it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna wave you often walk away while you shoot and miss this shot, right, It's mental manipulation on the level that I don't know that I see you regularly.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, this is Division one, this is the championship rounds, this is the essentially the playoffs, this is the tournament. She's walking away from the number one, this is the number one team in the country, undefeated. She's like, whatever, I'm not even gonna guard you.
Speaker 1: Go for it.
Speaker 3: In another game, she told a young lady that said something to her, shut up, y'all losing about fifteen.
Speaker 1: And did the you can't see me to her right, because you can't see me as waving your hand in front of your face. Yeah, John Cena made this thing popular. Tony Yale introduced it to him. Flavor Flave introduced it to him. I have to say that because everybody just says it's to John Cena, because he's the most famous of them. From being a WWE superstar and doing it in front of hundreds of millions of people on TV, it became known as something that he did. But even in the interviews, he says he got it from Tony Yale, who got it from Flavor Flav, So.
Speaker 3: That specific thing once they won. This is the thing about trash talk. This is why I don't understand why people do I guess I guess I do. People kind of get off on it. I don't understand why fighters do it. It's fighting. It's a whole different thing that's not even that's different from sport.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't play fight.
Speaker 3: You know somebody might knock you out and then you look really ridiculous if you was just trash talking the whole lead up.
Speaker 1: But I've seen that happen to Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when Caitlyn Clark is winning and she's doing that she celebrated. Like I said, they call her a clapback queen. They talk about how fire as she is, how competitive. People celebrate that in her. So when they lost the other best player on the.
Speaker 1: Court, Angel Reese, by you, Barbie.
Speaker 3: Gave her all she can handle of her own doing this is the handwaving you can't see. You can't see me right back at her, but a lot like we just popped y'all.
Speaker 1: Last week.
Speaker 3: You wish you can't see me where you at now, because that's how it goes. When you talk crazy, you better win. If you don't, you deserve to be clapped back at, quote unquote since she's the back queen crazy so.
Speaker 1: Queen Andel Reaes.
Speaker 3: Of the national champion LSU Tigers has been called by professionals in sports media classless, an idiot, a moron, and a few of those with an effing on the front of it. She's been insulted and dragged as unsportsmanlike and disrespectful. All she did was the same thing that ESPN did a whole segment on Caitlyn Clark for doing.
Speaker 1: John Sad shouted out Caitlyn Clark too oh on Twitter.
Speaker 3: If you saw the coverage of the tournament. Everyone did right. The team that they beat before they played LSU had won like fifty games in a row, like defeated national championship team, and all the coverage was about the super bad white girl for IOWA, not the whole team of sisters that was undefeated, like it was flagrant, and we've gotten to this space we're pointing out double standards like this and pointing out just flagrant overt racism is somehow intellectually beneath us. So even we like take the devil's advocate position of trying to find justification for it when it's no, we don't even have to find anything. We have video of Caitlin doing the exact same thing, and then the number one sports outlet on Earth did a full segment on how great it is that she does that, and the second a black girl did it to her, she became again classless, unsportsman, like an idiot and moron, and like I said, an effing.
Speaker 1: So we don't have.
Speaker 3: To try to dig and figure out why it's covered differently. We don't have to dig and figure out why people are responding to it differently, because you know who wasn't offended? You know who didn't call her out of her name, Caitlyn Clark. Yeah, because Caitlyn Clark get busy. Yeah, and in her mind, I'll see you again. Yeah, and we're gonna get right back at it. She knows that she gives that and deserves to get it back. Alla, Steph Curry, I can't get mad when they showy, y'all, shimmy.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So it's this position of her being somehow this victim when all that was done to her is what she does to everybody else.
Speaker 1: I want to add something here. I read an article from ugh New York Post, but there was an interview with Caitlyn Clark. She's the white woman in this story. Again, forgive me. I'm not a sportsperson and I'm awful with names, so I repeat them just in case you're like me. But Caitlin Clark did an interview and to your point, she said, I haven't been on social media since we lost, and I'm not mad at She gave like an amazing interview, Like I was like, pretty close to man. She should be the BABA for this week because she spoke up for Angel Reese, saying everything that you would expect She's like, she's an amazing competitor. That's part of the game, you know. Blah blah blah. There was a couple of things I wish she would have said, but that does likewise, But that doesn't mean that she intentionally left them out. It probably didn't occur to her say things a certain way, or like, hey, this coverage is unfair. Maybe she doesn't have the same context or the same view. Maybe she's been absent. But I did appreciate her response the way she bigged up Angel Reese and she So Another part of this story that you are a listener may or may not have heard about, is that Jill Biden, the first Lady. Say her name again, because it's Jill and Joe sound the same. Jill, doctor, I should say, doctor Jill Biden, the first Lady of the United States, invited the losing team along with the winning team to the White House, right, And I guess that that's never been done before, and what not two hundred years? Sure?
Speaker 3: Sure, And so what people were opposed to just started back into eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: I'll just say that. So what people were saying is and you could correct me or jump in because I'm absolutely certain whatever you're about to say is going to be accurate. Okay, So what they were saying is, well, you know what if we had lost. If LS Louisiana State University had lost, Doctor Joe Biden would not have invited all the black girls to the White House having lost. So this is what it means to be white on full display because she's like, oh, well, both teams were really competitive and they did a really great job. Let's have them all come to the White House. And so I believe it was Angel Reese and her team. I think that there's some sort of like unity in this decision. I'm not sure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they said, you know what, it's okay, you can take the losing team to the White House. That's totally fine. We would go and hang out with Baraka and Michelle, you know what I mean, Like that would be fine for us, you know. So the reason I brought that up is because Caitlin Clark was asked about that would she visit the White House if that invitation from Doctor Joe Biden was authentic, was was genuine, And Caitlin Clark said, no, I would not go. That's not how it works. Angel Reese and the ladies from LSU deserve to have their moment. So this is part of why I was like, man, does that is that that feels like a baba for us? You know what I mean? Like you? I mean you, I don't know that that's baba worthy. I know.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm not of saying that what usually happens should happen.
Speaker 1: But you know some some people don't do that. No, No, you're right, So that's why I was kind of thinking about it. But anyway, there's an a double standard for you there. Let's move on, all right. So this one comes from CNN. I'll just read it. She was going to get mad and some steam already coming out of his I might walk out of the studio. He sent this one over for this week. I might walk out of the studio. I'll read it. The executive director of a police union in California has been placed on leave and is facing federal charges after allegedly importing drugs from overseas and distributing them throughout the country. I'll read the first part of that again. The executive director of a police union in California has been placed on leave. I didn't say under arrest on leave, Okay, all right, I'll continue likely paid. Joanne Marion Segovia sixty four, ordered thousands of synthetic opioids, including valeral fentanol, that were disguised as chocolates, wedding favors, and makeup, According to the criminal complaint filed Monday by the Office of the United States Attorney, Segovia, who serves as the executive director of the San Jose Police Officers Association, allegedly used her personal and office computers to order the opioids and made shipments using the union's ups account. The complaint said, so, what we have here is the police bringing in drugs and distributing them throughout the country.
Speaker 3: Don't say that like that, Ramses drug trafficking, said how they would say it if it was you. They wouldn't say rams is bringing in drugs. They would make you sound as criminal as possible.
Speaker 1: Help me out, go ahead, I'm loving it. Drug trafficking across borders. They would probably create a thug too, probably with that afro grown out of your head. Yes, king, thug. Do you think they would call Joe and Mary Marian Segoiva sixty four a thug under no circumstance. Isn't that funny?
Speaker 3: And you know, use words like a leged here, but the evidence is overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's on the computer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's not going to be called a thug at any point. Well, somehow she'll end up the victim here, I'm certain.
Speaker 1: So well, I mean, leave tells me everything I need to know, because, as you know, we're talking about double standards. So let's just lean into this one. Let's say I was a police officer, right, do you know how many police officers they would sit in my house, They would beat me up a little bit and arrest me in front of my children.
Speaker 3: Well, they would make sure there were cameras sure, so that it looks like they were doing the job, that they were bringing down justice in one of their fellow officers. Yeah, they got one of the bad ones, one of the bad ones, the bad apples.
Speaker 1: So again, this illuminates very different and these these examples, we're not stretching at all for these examples. They're very very obvious. These aren't obscure little stories or whatever this is. You can see this in your own mind's eye, how this would play out differently if this was not a sixty four year old white woman with I think she has blonde hair, right, Americans love blonde hair. I love afros man. That's why I got them. I mean I got mine in my son's you know, so we got them. I should say nothing wrong with people have wond here though we loved all too. You know, that's how we do it over here. All right, let's move on this one. We're gonna kind of stand in solidarity with again with our trans friends, because I think that this also shows an example of double standard in this country. So Q sent this one over, I believe. So I'll read Tennessee State, by the way, Tennessee is tripping. I know, we know Tennessee is tripping right now. We just don't have enough show to get to everything that Tennessee is tripp We know that. Please forgive us for not as is Florida. So anyway, Tennessee State Representative Gloria Johnson had a discussion on the drag band bill. I'm using air quotes because I think that's name of it, drag ban bill. Okay, the bill seeks to ban drag readings to children. Right, so you might ask yourself, why do drag people need to read to children. If I'm honest, I don't know, but I suspect it probably has something to do with inclusivity and teaching children, exposing children to different types of people so that they don't grow up afraid or prejudiced or whatever. Right, and people who are trans people, you know whatever, Whatever the intention is there, I'm sure that there's some deeper purpose and it's not nearly as sinister as folks make it out to be. But that's not the point I'm trying to make right now. I just need to get past that because some people's minds go to like a really dark place. They think that drag means sexual, you know, or something like that. Like if I were to say I sleep in the bed with my son, people get weird because they're like, you're not supposed to sleep in your bed. No, we're going to sleep as my child. You know, you do what I'm saying. So people's minds always go to this weird sexual place with stuff, and I want to make sure that we're addressing that before we get here. Okay, So there are people they dress up and then they read to children. Okay, if you're with me, then allow me to read this Woman. Representative Gloria Johnson asked her constituents about their feelings on wrestling, and she made some incredible points. She said, men wear tights and they wear makeup. And she made another interesting point by saying that drag people are dress in drag. They often don't show any skin, and especially not at a school, they're fully dressed up right. I don't imagine these drag shows are as popular as people are making them out to be, or like as common, you know. But the point is is that wrestling is geared toward children, and no one has anything to say about it. So that's a glaring double standard right there. And then, last, but not least, I have to mention a double standard that came up this week as well. Representative Jasmine Crockett said on MSNBC as she was discussing the January sixth choir song while I went to number one on iTunes. While she was describing how they went about making the song, She's like, hey, they have this equipment. They were able to put this song together and get this, you know, the president reading the Pledge of Allegiance and put out a song and went to number one. How is this possible? So she says, I've never seen tablets in prisons, and they used tablets to record this and text their family members and to review their own discovery. Exactly that too, but with laptops and so forth. And I got to think, and you know what, there's been so many rappers that have had to record their stuff over the phone, you know, rap songs. I think Wayne did one of them, doll Wayne. So anyway, I think that that also shows that there's a different way that the country treats people, you know, given the color of your skin. So with that said, we'll leave that right there. All right, now, it's time for the Way Black History Fact. Today's Way Black History Fact sponsored by Underground Beach Club from the streets to the beach with the finest in beachware. Visit Underground Beach Club dot com. And this comes from Wikipedia if you can look it up yourself. But you don't just have to use Wikipedia if you don't trust it, because it's everywhere we're going to talk about California. California was named after a black woman. I was born in California nineteen eighty two. I lived forty years in my life and then I found that out in that word, and you know what. Even the paintings of Kalipa, the ones that I found on the Internet, and the paintings that I would come across when I was younger, not knowing this, none one of them ever depicted her the way she's described in the story. But we'll get there. She should be real brown, but we'll get there, all right. Khalifa is the fictitional queen of the island of California, first introduced by sixteenth century poet Garcia Rodriguez de Montavio in his epic novel of chivalry La Sergas the Esplandian. I think I got that right, written around fifteen ten. The California is a region of North America, encompassing the US state of California and the Mexican states of Baja California and Baja California. Sir take their name from Califia and her kingdom. In the novel, Califia is a pagan warrior queen who ruled over a kingdom of black women living on the Island of California, an island off the coast of Asia. Califia is convinced to raise an art army of women warriors and sailed away from California with a large flock of trained Griffins so that she can join a Muslim battle against Christians Christians who are defending Constantinople. In the siege, the Griffins harm the enemy and friendly forces, so they are withdrawn. Khalifa and her ally Rodario fight in a single combat against the Christian leaders a king and his son, the Knight Esplandian. Khalifia is vested and taken prisoner, and she converts to Christianity. She marries a cousin of Esplandian and returns with the remainder of her army to California for further adventures. All right, So that's the story in brief. The name of Khalifia was likely formed from the Arabic word Khalifa Khalifia, which is ta get that right, oh, clifan religious state leader that is known as caliph in English or Khalifa in Spanish. Similarly, the name of Califia's realm, California, likely originated from the same route, fabricated by the author to remind the sixteenth century Spanish reader of the Reconquista, a century's long fight between Christian Iberians and Muslim Arabs that had recently concluded in Spain. The character of Califia is used by Rodriguez de Montalio to portray the superiority of chivalry, in which the attractive virgin queen is conquered, converted to Christian beliefs, and married off. The book was very popular for many decades. Adnan Cortes read it, and it was selected by author Miguel de Serrantes as the first of may popular and presumed harmful books to be burnt by characters in his famous novel Don Quixote. Califia has been depicted as the spirit of California and has been the subject of modern day sculpture, paintings, stories, and films. She often figures in the myth of California's origin, symbolizing an untamed and bountiful land prior to European settlement. In nineteen thirty seven, Lucille Lloyd unveiled her drift titch I believe I'm not sure how to say this word. Mural origin and development of the name of the state of California, also known as California allegory, which was displayed at the State Building in Los Angeles until nineteen seventy five, when the building was demolished for safety reasons. The paintings were archived, and in nineteen ninety one they were restored and mounted in the California Room of the California State Capitol, whom forty two oh three renamed the John Elberton Hearing Room. The regal central figure shows Queen Califia depicted as a Mayan warrior princess, holding a spear in her left hand and examining a gyroscope in her right hm right. In nineteen thirty one, Diego Rivera finished his first US mural, The Allegory of California, for the Pacific Coastock Exchange Building now the City Club of San Francisco. The publication of Our Roots Run Deep The Black Experience in California, Volume one, was the lead story in The Sunday Examiner and Chronicle on February first, nineteen ninety two. As reporter Greg Lewis pointed out the book's depiction of the Queen Kalifia's story as particularly noteworthy. An exhibition featuring Queen Califia followed in nineteen ninety five at the Historic State Capitol Museum in Sacramento, with subsequent showings in the sixth floor gallery of the San Francisco Main Library and the Los Angeles Central Library. In nineteen ninety eight, the California Council on Humanities funded the Seminar The Black Queen Primary Sources in California History to promote additional primary source research in California African American history. The mural of Queen Kalifia is featured at the top of the new African American Freedom Trail brochure produced by Reunion Education, Arts Heritage and San Francisco Travel in November twenty thirteen. In two thousand and four, the African American Historical and Cultural Society Museum in San Francisco a symbol a Queen Kalifia exhibit curated by John William Templeton, featuring works by artists such as the author Right and James Gayle's artistic interpretations of Califia. The show displayed a nineteen thirty six treatment of Lucille Lloyd's California Allegory Triftich, with Queen Kalifia as the central figure. Templeton said that Kalifia is a part of California history, and she also reinforces the fact that when Cortes named this place California, he had three hundred black people with him. Templeton pointed out that Columbus had a black navigator and that Africans were seen by Europeans as being culturally advanced in the fifteenth century. William E. Hoskins, director of the museum, said that very few people know the story of Queen Califia. He said, one of the things we're trying to do is let people have the additional insight and appreciation for the contributions of African Americans to this wonderful country and more specifically to the state of California, adding that quote the Queen Callifia exhibit is particularly poignant. So now whenever I say California, I know that the lady on the I think it's not the state flag. But there's like a one of those flags that has that lady on it, and she's it's about as white as the flag as the background of the flag. That that was a reimagining of the original symbol of California, which depicted Queen Califia with her brown skin, a very intentional reimagining. Sure, I'm sure yeah, and so it's important to know that because that gives you another example of how history tends to get whitewashed, and there's less for us to be proud of, even if it's just an imaginary story. You know, we inspired this man to write this novel and this queen who was so powerful. It's sad that that was taken away from us when the truth is we should have grown up with that, I think, and little black girls should grow up with that. There's no version of this country that allows us to grow up with that. Well, I think we're getting closer, but we'll leave it right there. So once again, I have to thank you for tuning in to Civic Cipher. I really do appreciate it. Once again, I'm your host, Rams this job. He is Ramsy's John, I am q Ward. Thank you guys again. How else can they help Rams listen? Hit the website Civiccipher dot com. Using that website, you can submit any questions. You can hit us with any topics she wants to cover. Make a donation. As I mentioned, donations help the show grow. We are growing. You can tap in with us on social media except for Twitter.
Speaker 3: Subscribe to the YouTube, subscribe to the subscribe to the YouTube dot com backslash civic ciphers c I V I C C I P H E R yes, and all.
Speaker 1: Our social media is civic cipher as well, just like Hugh spelled it. And of course you can download this in any previous episode on your favorite podcasting platform. And I think that's gonna do it. Anything else all I got in please? Yeah, like yo, we handle it.
Speaker 2: These brothers a fabulous our lady showing you where bomb traveled. This will speak to from sunlight to move busting on stage like gonna fights some move ro my mic back. You're like that Jonal list with jole list too. We can strike back all corp borders with waters from head, borders behind in, the beline sides up and the borders the press passing. We bring it to you as it happens the streets love popping from music and rapping the street compand to slash, we expando. You're gonna fight the slander with the proper propaganda. What's happening.
Speaker 1: It's how You've got a questions to ask if the news is just a TV show you're passing.
Speaker 2: And this from a white wartime joonalist headlines.
Speaker 1: Wait, you got previews and recess like this like what like this, like