Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, Welcome to mind Over Mountain with me Cheryl Strade. This week my guest is pro snowboarder Matti Shaffrick. She's fresh off the US Women's Olympic team, where she competed in the halfpipe, and fresh off an amazing comeback. Mattie went pro at fourteen, retired by twenty, had a little foray as a plumber's assistant, and then became a coach before making that amazing comeback. In our conversation, we talk about all the high points and low points and the healing in between. Let's listen to our conversation.
Speaker 2: Mattie Shaffrick. Welcome to mind Over Mountain.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Cheryl. I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You know, I am really excited to talk to you. We have tons of stuff to talk about. You went pro as a snowboarder at age fourteen, by twenty you had retired, and then nine years later you may this amazing comeback. And I have to say I'm one of the many, many people who were riding and sailing and flying along with you through really the glorious comeback you've had recently.
Speaker 2: On Instagram, I follow you like so many others.
Speaker 1: You said that this past season was a season for the books because of course it included the Olympics in Milan, Cartino, where you were a member of the women's snowboard team, and also very recently you took second in the women's snowboard half fife at the Snowboard World Cup. What was this amazing comeback season or these last couple of years like for you as a snowboarder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's it's hard to like put in a few short sentences what the last couple of years have men and this whole comeback journey I've been on. So last winter season was my first season back competing since twenty fifteen, And yeah, it was nine years and eight months I'd taken off from competition and you know, had tried different careers. But like, my main approach in making this comeback, or like the reason I wanted to do it was to do it differently and to do it authentically and do it in a way that was very connected to who I am.
Speaker 3: And how I want to be in the sewer career.
Speaker 4: And and yeah, it's been very high highs and very low lows, like challenges I was expecting. And also challenges that I couldn't have predicted.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 4: You know, It's funny you get what you ask for, like I wanted to. I wanted to see what I was truly capable of in this comeback in all ways physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually. Like that was one of my main whys for coming back, was what I was truly capable of. And I feel like I.
Speaker 3: Got pushed to the edge of.
Speaker 4: In all of those realms and was challenged and really like I was required to rise to the occasion in a lot of different areas, which yeah, has been fun and purposeful and also yeah, a wild journey of just self exploration and getting to know myself way more and believing in myself.
Speaker 1: I also wonder if a piece of that, you know, finding your why again, in finding your way back to snowboarding goes way back to when you were a child and at first falled in love with a sport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it absolutely has.
Speaker 4: I mean, like you said, I first joined the US team and became a professional snowboarder at fourteen. I loved snowboarding, you know, like that was my why leading up to that, that US Team nomination back then and all of yeah, and at fourteen, no one knows who they are at fourteen, and my entire all of my teenage years and my entire high school experience, I was. I was on the road with kids much older than me. I was the youngest on the US team by three years at that time and remained the youngest for several years. But I was trying to figure out who I was during a time that, you know, in a.
Speaker 3: Very adult world where.
Speaker 4: I had external expectations and pressures as far as like US team expectations, sponsor contracts, agents, and a lot of support. That was all so helpful and I needed it or someone in that position, it's that's very helpful to have all the support and being a teenager trying to also just like yeah, figure out who.
Speaker 3: And how I wanted to be in this world.
Speaker 4: It was it was a lot, and I didn't have the coping skills yet.
Speaker 1: Really tell me, you know, fourteen, What always amazes me about your your experience is that, yeah, as you said, who at fourteen knows who they are? The whole situation with being fourteen, it's like it's your job not to know yet, right, It's your job to go on that journey full of like mistakes and victories and all kinds of things. It's to be in the spot like the way you were to be before that, to be called a child prodigy, it's just an immense amount of pressure.
Speaker 2: What was that you know?
Speaker 1: What was that like for you when you were among the people who I imagine like these other snowboarders in the field, who were like your idols. What was that like for you as a child to be among the people who are older, making, you know, being their peer or their colleague.
Speaker 4: I think there were a lot of like facets to that, because the reason I started snowboarding when I was seven years old was because I watched Gretchen Bleiler on the TV during X Games. I forget what season it was, but I remember I was I was six when I saw her on TV, and I just remember she was in all yellow. I don't think it was a one piece, but it was an all yellow outfit, and I remember that so clearly, and I remember watching her and her run and knowing that's what I wanted to do. I was always into sports. I've always been an athletic kid. But I saw her compete in X Games in snowboarding, half fype and I was like, that's what I want to do.
Speaker 3: Then fast forward.
Speaker 1: But wait, why what was it about seeing her do that?
Speaker 3: That's a good question.
Speaker 4: I would have to like, I know, I'd have to tap back into my six year old brain then.
Speaker 3: But maybe it was.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Maybe it was just I think it was probably just the energy she was admitting that I was feeling, and.
Speaker 2: You're like, I want to be that in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: And all of those women were like having so much fun and pushing each other and supporting each other and doing.
Speaker 3: Really cool things. That looks so cool.
Speaker 4: And I, yeah, I was. I was drawn to it.
Speaker 1: I'm imagining you know, when you get such high validation and praise, Yeah, being called a child broto d You're at fourteen turning pro and you know, joining the team that you'd only dreamed of being on.
Speaker 2: It's both positive.
Speaker 1: It's incredibly validating, right, You're like, oh my, all of my dreams have come true. Yeah, and it's also strangely depleting and diminishing.
Speaker 3: I'm going totally totally.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, it was fast forward eight years from watching Gretchen on TV.
Speaker 3: I was on the team.
Speaker 4: With her, and yeah, and being called a child prodigy and having a lot of eyes on me, and absolutely it was validating, and it was so fun and all of my dreams were coming true.
Speaker 3: And how do you you know, uphold that? How do you maintain it? And I don't know. I just I felt the pressure.
Speaker 4: And though, here's the thing. The first two years I was on the team, from age fourteen to sixteen, I had a really great time. I did not feel that much pressure. The best analogy I can say for it is I felt like I was on a wave and the wave was pushing me. I was just riding that wave. When I was sixteen, I had a really big knee injury and a hip injury, just big fall in New Zealand and I was going into my junior year of high school and I had it was my third knee surgery at that time, but it was the biggest one I had ever had.
Speaker 2: And third knee surgery by sixteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, out I know, and and so I'd been Yeah, I'd been through injury before, but I had never experienced that big of an injury, injury.
Speaker 3: At that level.
Speaker 4: With all the eyes on me yet, or being on the US team yet.
Speaker 1: Right right at this level where people actually weren't just concerned for your health. They were like, well, we want her to perform. We had expectations of her.
Speaker 4: Right, I needed to fulfill contracts, right.
Speaker 3: But Yeah, that injury and.
Speaker 4: I took eleven months off of snow and went back to high school to say, at a desk with all of my peers that I had grown up with here in Steamoat, Colorado. And the last time I had sat at a desk, you know, was like seventh grade for the entire school year.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: And I didn't know how to really relate to kids my age anymore. All of my friends that I used to play soccer with were doing totally different things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had a different life totally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so that was a hard year just mentally and emotionally, you could imagine.
Speaker 2: But yeah, how did you I mean, how was it hard?
Speaker 1: Was it was it hard finding friends again or having authentic connections with people?
Speaker 2: What did your peers think of you? Were they like, she's the snowboarding star?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean they thought I was cool, but we didn't know each other anymore. And the things that they were interested in or you know, pursuing, I didn't. I didn't know how to connect to that anymore. And then all of my you know, friends who had spent the last couple of years with they were still traveling the world busy, and you know, I.
Speaker 2: Doing the things that you thought you were supposed to be doing.
Speaker 4: Right, And I'd say, like, you know, those first two years on the US team, I was riding that wave. And then after that injury, I fell off that wave. And that's when it felt like the awareness of the contracts, the pressures, the expectations, that's when all of that came in and hit me so hard in a way that I didn't I didn't know what to do with it.
Speaker 1: In my own life too, when I've been overwhelmed with grief or sorrow or whatever, you know, fill in the dark hard word, you do, you do something with it. It can be self destructive or not.
Speaker 2: And I mean, what did you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it means all fairly destructive.
Speaker 4: And I started building like self sabotaging behaviors.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 4: You know, it was It wasn't only in you know, there's an element to snowboarding. Used to be an element to snowboarding that was like there was a very much a party culture involved it. That's not really the case anymore, especially in the high level competition, which is definitely for the best. But I leaned into that side way more than I ever had before. But also, you know, speaking about those women that I was teammates with, that I looked up to so much, I started comparing myself to them in a way that was not helpful.
Speaker 1: It never is any like I have never been from comparing myself to anyone else. Totally, No, it only it only makes you feel less than. What's always crazy too, is little do we know they're probably doing the same, you know, totally us, And it's it's like it's like a shame building machine, that comparison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the past joy as they say, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it becomes a habit yeah, and a pattern that you know, if you go deep enough into it, it takes it very intentional work to come out of and bring that habit.
Speaker 2: So how did you do that?
Speaker 1: I mean, not just the comparison part, but this era you're describing where you got pretty dark, Like, how how.
Speaker 2: Did you find your way out? What did you do?
Speaker 3: I left?
Speaker 4: I Yeah, I retired when I was twenty, and I retired so full of anger and resentment and blame.
Speaker 1: And who were you angry at and resentful tour?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've the industry, coaches, sponsors, I was that whole, real one that yeah.
Speaker 3: Everything on the outside.
Speaker 4: I was angry at competition itself, Like I felt competition had taken this thing. I loved snowboarding, this passion I was so connected to and tainted it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you fell out of love with snowboarding, not so much for snowboarding itself, but everything that surrounded it exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So when I when I announced my retirement at twenty in twenty fifteen, I swore I would never touch another snowboard again. I really thought I was never gonna turn back.
Speaker 3: In any way, even recreationally.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'm so done.
Speaker 2: What did you do with your snowboards?
Speaker 1: Did you have like a bonfire in the backyard?
Speaker 3: I think I gave a lot of them away.
Speaker 4: Yeah I still have, Like I think I have three snowboards from huh that era of my life, And I honestly don't know what I did with the rest.
Speaker 1: They were like out in the back for this garage or something. I don't really So then you know, I understand you. When you retired at twenty, you did what many many twenty year olds have done, including my own twenty year old right now, retreated to their parents' house. Right, Yeah, and you grew up writing steam Boat Springs, Colorado.
Speaker 2: So you moved back in with your folks.
Speaker 3: Yep, moved back in into the basement. It was good. It was where.
Speaker 4: I needed to be to just you know, they created a safe space for me to break down and just drop everything and yeah, you know, hit an emotional rock bottom and not.
Speaker 3: Know where to go next.
Speaker 1: I mean, the great thing about rock bottom, though, because I know this is the next part of your story, is like, once you get to the bottom, there's the only direction to go is up.
Speaker 2: And it sounds like, I mean, it.
Speaker 1: Might take a while, but and it might look different than maybe most of us imagine, but from there we do begin to rise.
Speaker 2: So what happened to you next?
Speaker 4: Well, one part of my story that people really love this here during the Olympics.
Speaker 2: But I know what's coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I moved back into my parents house. I was in the basement.
Speaker 4: They gave me a few months to you know, sulk around and I don't even know what I was doing, but they my dad was finally like, all right, if you're going to live here. You need to pay some rent or help us buy some food.
Speaker 3: The food you're eating you just need. Yeah, so get a job.
Speaker 4: And and I had a family friend in town here that owned a plumbing and heating business. I asked him one day because I knew, you know, I hadn't gone to college. I hadn't the last time I went to school was like I just didn't connect with it. I had no motivation and so it was not very like healthy environment for me.
Speaker 3: And I had no.
Speaker 4: Other like work experience besides snowboarding, and I knew I had emotional stuff I needed to work through in my body. So I was like, I want to use my hands. I want to use my body. I don't want to sit behind a desk. I asked my friend Joe, Joe the plumber.
Speaker 5: Joe.
Speaker 2: It's like he's even got the name.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: When I asked him, I was like, do you have any friends in the trade, you know, industry that need help. I want to learn something new and I want to keep moving, and he goes, yeah, you can start for me on Monday. So I became Joe the Plumber's apprentice.
Speaker 1: Made thought that I had, but please tell me that your other coworkers were named Earl Bob, and Frank.
Speaker 3: Was Dallas.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's no, that's.
Speaker 1: Not a plumber name. I don't know you think Dallas is a plumber name.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: He was. He's a good plumber.
Speaker 2: To be Dallas.
Speaker 1: It's like he's like he's like an actor. He's not like Broadway or yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 1: The thing is I love about this is it's it is both totally unlikely and also I will say I actually think it's it's most of us have that kind of story at one point or another in our lives where we're like, Okay, I was lost and then I just decided to do this like totally out of nowhere thing and it helped me be found. And you knew instinctually that you had to work with your body, make something do, make something happen with your hands, and you trusted that girl, and that is like, that is golden and that is healing right there. So you were beginning even when you asked that question of Joe the plumber, So well done, Yeah things.
Speaker 2: How did why are you not a plumber?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: So how'd that plumbing career go? Okay?
Speaker 4: So I I apprenticed for a little over a year, learned a lot, and one of the main things I learned was that I do not want to split spend my life plumbing.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't want to be a plumber. I respect the trade so much.
Speaker 4: And I will say too that one year of plumbing was harder on my body than seven years of professional sommarty.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, like mad respect.
Speaker 2: Are you serious?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm serious, because you're like on your knees under a sing or cabinet right, or you're in a crawl space in some contorted position, or you're like fun scaffolding hoping of holding a pipe over your head.
Speaker 3: It was so hard on my joints.
Speaker 1: I imagine early twenties, Like imagine you're like some old guy, yeah or Dallas or whatever. Also, you have to wear really baggy pants so they fall down totally.
Speaker 3: I'm about to throw all your belts.
Speaker 1: I hope, I hope somebody saw your butt track at some point, Maddie, I'm sure. I come on, well, but you were just an apprentice, so like maybe you didn't reach the full plumber of you know, wardrobe malfunction level.
Speaker 3: But I'm true.
Speaker 1: Okay, but my burning question that I have for you about your your short career, but short but informative career and physically challenging career and plumbing is I know you're you're not interested in being a plumber. Now do you do your own home repairs? Like if things get moving a little slow, like you know how to fix it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 3: I've done like the little like external repairs if it's in a wall. I called somebody.
Speaker 5: I called Joe.
Speaker 2: Joe, you guys are still passed.
Speaker 1: I bet yeah, Okay, what did What did Joe think of you when you're like, you know, I mean going to the Olympics and stuff. I bet that I met The Plumbers Association of America is very proud of you.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so funny.
Speaker 3: He has been so supportive.
Speaker 4: And so he has three kids that are all younger than me, and uh huh, I lived with them my junior year of high school when I was back during that time. So yeah, they I mean those kids at that time too. The oldest was eight and the youngest was maybe two. And now this is twenty three.
Speaker 1: Have you have you taught them snow snowboarding or taken them out on the snow at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean looking back when I was in high school, when they were young.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, they were all they're all rippers.
Speaker 6: They all chose skiing now, but whatever, I'm not gonna judge them. But yeah, they've all been so proud and it's been funny too because.
Speaker 3: Joe I was uh, let's just I wasn't the best plumber either.
Speaker 2: I wasn't wade for it.
Speaker 1: He's not.
Speaker 3: Let me forget that where he goes.
Speaker 4: Well, you're getting a lot of attention for that time plumbing, but they don't know how bad you were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, like that word prodigy only applies an area of your life, not too exactly, only snowboarding, not not plumbing.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to do that.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we set the record straight here on mind Over Mountain. Yeadi Chaprack is not a prodigious plumber.
Speaker 3: No I'm not.
Speaker 1: Don't call me, don't call called Joe so Ya. But so then you have your moment of truth, you know, Okay, at twenty you're like, I'm done with snowboarding. A few years later you're like, I'm done with plumbing. What happened next? How did you find your way back to snowboarding.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you know, it's funny and makes sense when I declared at twenty years old, I was never going to snowboard again.
Speaker 4: It didn't last that long because I came home to Steamboat and spent like basically the rest of the summer in Steamboat, or I had some extra time in Salt Lake City. But then I uh started plumbing, and we're approaching the ski season again, and I had some friends coming back home, and everyone I knew in Steamboat was getting season passes for the report, right, And so I was like, all right, I'm going to be so bored.
Speaker 3: If I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm if all I'm doing is plumbing, sleeping, like, get an activity. There's not a lot to do in Steamboat in the winter besides skier, snowboard or some sort of winter activity.
Speaker 3: So I reached out to.
Speaker 4: A friend of mine who was directing the snowboard program, the youth snowboard program here in Steamboat for Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club, and asked her if she had any volunteer positions available where I could get a free season pass.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, and so yeah.
Speaker 4: That that twenty sixteen summer or winter, I guess it's twenty fifteen twenty sixteen winter, I volunteered with a group of like seven to nine year olds and it was only seven hours a week.
Speaker 3: It was one day a week after.
Speaker 4: My plumbing and then on Saturdays, and I was teaching this group of kids how to snowboard for the first time ever, just how to turn and how to strap on their snowboard day one, and.
Speaker 1: Which is the same age you were. I just want to point out that you said I want to do that totally. It's a really exastaing return. And just for the record, I want to say, if if I went to the mountain, I would need to be in that group with the seven to nine year olds. I would probably never graduate off of whatever level they were at.
Speaker 4: You would, you would, And at a surtain age we recommend butt pads and risk guards.
Speaker 1: Okay, I would need just like maybe full body like sort of bubble wrap.
Speaker 2: I mean, that is the thing I want to ask you.
Speaker 1: About this because I think that you know what you're talking about is when you teach absolute beginners, whether they're seven and nine or fifty, you know, what you yourself are doing is in some ways returning to those essentials and those like those first steps and those first times that you're like, oh my gosh, Like I thought I couldn't do this thing, and then I did it, and wow, that was thrilling. Am I just projecting this like with some of with some of this resonating with you when you were teaching the kids, were you remembering why you loved snowboarding again?
Speaker 3: I mean, that was it. You just named it perfectly.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what happened, and it I mean, it brought me back to the basics in a way that I had I hadn't thought about how to turn.
Speaker 3: My snowboard in years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so it felt completely different than what I was doing in competition and like training and learning tricks and learning how to fall and.
Speaker 3: Get back up and all that.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was learning how to fall and.
Speaker 4: Get back up and try to explain that to the kids too.
Speaker 3: But it was so.
Speaker 4: It reframed snowboarding for me in a way that I really needed, and it was it had nothing to do with competition. And I was watching in real time those kids figure out their love for snowboarding and their passion and can and discover it for the first time ever.
Speaker 3: And it was so fun.
Speaker 4: Wow, and it literally probably it was maybe in the first two weeks that I could feel within myself like this is healing me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, the body is such a great teacher, isn't it.
Speaker 1: You're out there explaining I got chills when you just said what you said, which is to teach people how to fall down and get back up, you know. And of course when when you're doing that with your body, you end up doing that inside yourself as well. It ends up being you know, that that healing act, and especially sharing that with others because of course if you're telling somebody else listen, you're gonna follow. It might hurt, but no worries. You can get right back up and go again and try again, always, always, always like you can't help it, but here that yourself.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: What about coaching, I mean you you were coaching the little kids and instructing really more, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then you know, did you that drew you back in in a deeper level? I understand you continued, Then you got hired to actually be a.
Speaker 2: Coach, yeah, at the club.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So so that first season back in Steamboat, I was plumbing and doing the volunteer position with the young kids and then got to a place with plumbing where I needed I didn't want to.
Speaker 2: Do it anymore.
Speaker 3: I quit that and going into that following season, I yeah.
Speaker 4: I went to the director, my friend Tori, and was like, I want to do this full time. Is there a position for it? And I became head coach of what was called the Junior and Senior teams at Sema Springs Winner Sports Club, which was basically a group of nine to nineteen year olds that competed in all the different disciplines of snowboarding, so you know giant Solomon, slalom, border cross, slope style, halfpipe, rail jams, all the different disciplines. We just had a big group of kids and I was the head coach of that that had a couple of coaches under me that we work together to like, yeah, bring these kids to competition.
Speaker 3: And help them. You know, when they're younger, you.
Speaker 4: Help them discover well, you want to have them try everything and have them support them in doing everything. And then as they were getting older and you know those sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen year olds, we were it was very specialized training in whatever discipline they were specializing in.
Speaker 2: What did you learn about like being a good coach.
Speaker 1: I mean, you had always been coached, but what what was it like for you to be in that other position.
Speaker 4: It was challenging in a whole new way. And what was interesting was once I got named to that position, I was really excited and I knew I had things to share with the athletes. But then going back to my first competitions as a coach, even though they were like small regional events in Colorado, it was a weird I still had lingering resentment for competition.
Speaker 1: You mean, going back literally to places that where you had competed. Yeah, so it's almost like you, I mean you had memories like, well, okay, four years ago, I was here and I did this on this mountain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and even just I mean it was different mountains sometimes, but just bringing kids into the world of competition when I still blamed competition for taking away my love of the sport, which in the last twelve months or whatever, I had just regained. I just figured out how to love snowboarding again and connect to it in.
Speaker 3: A whole new way.
Speaker 4: And then I was bringing kids into the world that I believed took that love away from me.
Speaker 1: How did you reconcile those those mixed feelings.
Speaker 4: It is challenging. And what ended up happening was I learned or I came to believe that there is no one way an athlete connects to their sport. There is no one avenue and it is honestly, the coaches are The coaches are the last people that should tell an athlete how they connect to their sport. It's up to a coach to help an athlete discover how they themselves connect to their sport and then support them in creating environments that like pave that path and give them opportunities to like stay connected to their that avenue that they need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think another way of thinking about that in a broader scope. I think even outside of snowboarding or skiing or the sports world at all, it's.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, you kind of can't.
Speaker 1: You know one thing I've written a sercrets you can't fake the core like you cannot you cannot fake what's like truly within you. And of course for you to be like a pro athlete, you have to have your own We began our conversation saying like you had to have your why, right, That's how you come back was about, and in some ways also what your retirement was about is that, like you lost your why.
Speaker 2: You're like, what am I doing here?
Speaker 1: I'm hurting, I'm injuring myself, I'm resentful, I'm stressed out about other people outshining me or feeling competitive with them. And you know, I think that that's such a core and essential truth of the human experience, right. We always have to know why we're doing something, especially when it demands so much from us to do exactly.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I couldn't say it better. And so yeah, being a coach healed me in so many ways, and.
Speaker 5: It my why as a coach became helping others.
Speaker 4: Find their why and learning there is no wrong why right for somebody, and you know, as long as it's like healthy and doesn't hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well have healthy why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a healthy why. But that was really magical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like I want to continue talking to you about your journey, but like I can't help at this juncture and our conversation where we're talking about whys and helping other people find their why. I actually have a dear Sugar letter that I want you to help me answer it.
Speaker 2: That's kind of adjacent to this.
Speaker 1: So can we just pause and I'll read it to you, and we'll give this this pers of advice, and then we're going to go back to a great comeback of Mattie Shaffrick.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll read it to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, deer, Sugar, I'm twenty four and I still have no idea what I want to do with my life.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't I have figured that out by now.
Speaker 1: I graduated college nearly two years ago, and after trying in a bit with friends, I moved back in with my parents and got a job at a high end thrift store. I still live with my parents, and that's not the problem. We like living together, and rent in our city is insanely expensive. The problem is I feel like I'm just drifting along, not really going in any direction. My job is fine and even fun at times, but it's not where I see myself in five years. My issue is when I think about five years from now, I can't imagine what I'll be doing because I don't know what I want to do. This seems like such a whiny letter, I know, But will you please give me some advice, Sugar? How do I create a meaningful life? How do I find that thing inside of me that will make me feel passionate about a particular career path. I envy my friends who already know what they want to do, but so far I just don't have that. How do people like me find their life's purpose?
Speaker 2: Thanks? Signed Drifter? Okay, do you see why?
Speaker 1: Like it is kind of adjacent this thing of all totally this person she's really asking like, what's my why have I'm lost in drifting totally?
Speaker 4: And I, yeah, I feel like that's so common.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: First, I want to say to Drifter, and I think Maddie's going to agree with me. Twenty four is very young. Yeah, And so first of all, let's dispense with that self shame, like shouldn't I have figured it out by now? And I want to say to you, Drifter, like, at every age you know, people say shouldn't I already fill in the blank? And the answer is always know, because of course we evolve and grow all the time, and you know, a sense of seeking in bewilderment is almost always part of our lives in different ways over all of our lives.
Speaker 2: So stop lambasting yourself for.
Speaker 1: Not figuring it out by now. You're only twenty four. Do you back me up on that.
Speaker 4: Maddie, absolutely, one hundred percent. Yeah, I think it's it's hard when, Yeah, our society kind of creates an expectation that you should know what you want to do with your life, especially yeah, at twenty four or at like any age.
Speaker 3: There are so many.
Speaker 4: People I feel like that are also doing things that they don't connect with because they like jumped into something before they yeah they wanted or you know, I know it's hard than there's so many different circumstances and that people deal with.
Speaker 3: But yeah, be kind to yourself with that one.
Speaker 4: Drifter, I think you're I'm in that boat with you sometimes too.
Speaker 1: Still, yeah, you know, I mean, I think that you make a really good point because it's actually for me, I feel like sort of hidden beneath the way that drifter thinks about her life. And it is a woman who wrote I always ask their pronouns and she said, you see her. So I think that what's really interesting is that the fact that you're even asking about how to find your sense of purpose and meaning tells me that like, you aren't just you aren't just drifting, you know, because just like you said, Maddie, like a lot of people, they just followed the path. They graduate high school, they graduate college, they get the job that's quote unquote in their field, and they don't have that sense of purpose and meaning. And so Drifter, what you're doing is like you're not just leaping in the direction of like whatever your family or society tells you you should do. You're actually searching your soul and saying, what do I want? And you know, my first piece of advice it's kind of adjacent to to something you said earlier, you know, like going back out there teaching these little kids who were you know, the same agency when you fell in love with snowboard snowboarding, like how to how to snowboard. It's like you're going back into this thing you love at the at the juncture that you most loved it, which is that when you first were like excited about it. And so my first bit of a Bysdrifter is like, you know, make a list right now, get out a piece of paper. I'm a huge fanatic for list when it comes to solving all of your life's problems. I can't help it. I'm a virgo.
Speaker 2: I like to live things. But all the things you just love to do.
Speaker 1: It can be everything from like you know, watching seventeen episodes of murder she wrote and wrote, or you know like reading books or you know whatever it is, you know, going running, like all the things you love to do, and then think about ways that you could find deeper meaning maybe in work that is somehow connected to those things, Like just start to think about you know, begin with that place of what do I like and love?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I like that?
Speaker 4: And also what comes to mind for me is like she mentioned, she when she envisions five years from now, she doesn't know what she wants to do.
Speaker 3: What's been helpful for me?
Speaker 4: And I can get into this later, but I guess my advice would be when you envision yourself in five years, maybe you don't envision what you want to do or what you're doing, but who.
Speaker 3: You want to be and how you want to be.
Speaker 7: And what what's.
Speaker 3: What values do you want to live by?
Speaker 4: And like what strength do you want to have that that push you? And then yeah, and then maybe with that list of of things that you love that you connect with, like what in that what in that list support the vision of who you want to be and how you want to be in this world.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mattie, I think we just solved an incredible human struggle just right here, very concisely, because it is what do you love and who do you want to be? You put those two together, that is that is a meaningful life.
Speaker 2: That is a meaningful life.
Speaker 1: You know what what qualities do you want to you know, live out in your life? For me, like, it's kindness, it's generosity, it's it's love, you know, And then how you know, how can I be a conduit for that?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Almost always the answer is like by by you know, if you gravit, if you if you do the things you love, you end up being pretty good at it, right you usually, I mean there's a reason you weren't a good plumber and you're a really good snowboarder exactly. So like trust that drifter and we wish you good luck.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, you will find your way. You're going to be asking yeaheah, You're.
Speaker 1: Going to drift you down that river into a beautiful, beautiful life.
Speaker 2: I know that for sure.
Speaker 1: So back to your beautiful life, miss Maddie.
Speaker 2: We left off you were you were coaching, and you also.
Speaker 1: Then went on to coach the US Ski and Snowboard team.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: You you advanced as a coach, if you will, And I think it was there that you really came to that decision to come back to snowboarding yourself. Can you tell us about that, like brought that on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, So, Yeah I did.
Speaker 4: I coached at the club level for seven years and the last two of those seven years I was directing the snowboard program and that role led me to US team coach job opening and I I started, I got back on the road and I started being in that like World Cup circuit, international competitions again for the first time since I.
Speaker 3: Was competing in them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think just being back in that environment, It's funny because the seven years I was coaching at the club level two I did, I learned so much about myself.
Speaker 3: I really I healed so much of my.
Speaker 4: You know, the the negative experiences or beliefs I had around snowboarding. I really felt like all of that had healed. And then I went back into that environment and was like.
Speaker 3: Instantly kind of realized. I was like, oh, there's I still felt.
Speaker 4: What onearthed in me was regret.
Speaker 2: Regret, What.
Speaker 4: About my time in that in that industry and at that place.
Speaker 1: You mean regret that you had competed at that level at such a young age when you weren't really emotionally ready for it, or regret that you had done that at all.
Speaker 3: It was it was regret in how I had done it. I felt as though I didn't do it well.
Speaker 4: I felt as though I had wasted all of my opportunities.
Speaker 3: I had wasted my talent.
Speaker 4: I did not regret being in that position and being in that environment, but I regretted, Yeah, how I went through it. I regretted those like last few years when things were dark and when I yeah, when I looked to partying, or when I compared myself to everyone else, or when I like talked so negatively to myself and I did not believe in myself at all.
Speaker 3: Those last few years of competition.
Speaker 4: I yeah, I just straight up I didn't believe in myself, and I regretted.
Speaker 3: I regretted giving up on myself.
Speaker 1: So part of this move, this decision to come back, was it born of this idea that you could do it differently this time because you were healed exactly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw there could be a possibility to do it differently and to do it in a way where I believed in myself. And that's where what I mentioned at the beginning of our conversation with me wanting to see what I was truly capable of. That are you capable of anything I want? Is what I've learned. If I really want it, if I really if I have that energy going that way, if I want.
Speaker 3: It, I can make it happen.
Speaker 4: And it is not going to be easy, but I can make it through hard times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can push myself.
Speaker 4: And I because I believe in myself for the first time, and that that has been my greatest gift of all of this. Like, yes, going to the Olympics was awesome and that was a dream come true. And what has felt like more of an achievement is learning how to believe in myself over and over again. And I'm re wiring my brain and rewriting. You know.
Speaker 3: We talked about like the patterns and like.
Speaker 1: You know, the yeah, just stories that tell ourselves like who we're out there feeling afraid and ashamed and less than and and and small inside telling yourself here, Yeah, and that's that you're you're repeating and then you become that way right and true too.
Speaker 2: When you what do you what do you tell yourself?
Speaker 1: I mean, do you actually have like a mantra or certain self talk that you use.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you're competing.
Speaker 4: It changes almost competition of competition it changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I've been grateful for the awareness within myself and the presence it's taken to like listen in each in each new competition, each new week, each new training day to really figure out what I need to tell myself that day that's going to resonate and help me.
Speaker 1: And what about comparison? I mean, you you said that that was a big problem for you before, is that you would look at other people and be feel less then because they were achieving something you wanted. How do you view your your competitors now?
Speaker 4: Well, I'll say that like none of it has gone away completely because I mean I created some deep trenches for those thought patterns.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love it, real talk.
Speaker 2: I'm not totally healed, Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: But hey, this is the thing A mind never mand me.
Speaker 1: Like, you don't get to the mountaintop, you know at the beginning, You've got to keep walking.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a life. It's a lifelong.
Speaker 4: Journey exactly, exactly, And so yeah, the comparison thing is still real for me. The negative self talk is still real for me, Like it comes up and sometimes it's it feels like my default to go there first. But what's been different is now I can recognize it, yeah, and I hear it, and I see it for what it is, and I know even if it feels really true or I know it's not helpful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or it's just like a member of what I do in writing, you know, fear and anxiety is always a part of writing for me and for most writers. What I've come to realize is like, oh, okay, you're just like one of the voices at the table, and you're you're the one who's not going to be my ruler, Like I'm going to say thank you for your input, now sit down and shut.
Speaker 2: Up, and I'm going to get to work.
Speaker 1: And I think that what you're describing kind of can be similar where you're never maybe ever going to purge that sense of like that comparison that can be really depleting, but you're not going to let.
Speaker 2: It devour you anymore.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: In the beginning of our conversation you wrote, I cited your your Instagram posts this season for the books. Tell me about like what, you know, what has that been like? Now out there back at it at a really high level and you know, really having some success too. Are you feeling you know, deep in your love and snowboarding and where you know what is?
Speaker 2: Tell us more about this season you've had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I I'll.
Speaker 7: Say that I.
Speaker 4: Last season, my first season back in competition, definitely felt like more of the mental like I was. You know, we're talking about those negative like default thought patterns. Last year was way more consumed by that and trying to change them.
Speaker 3: This year was, you know, the Olympic year.
Speaker 4: We had qualification events starting in December that led up to the Olympics in February. My goal going into that the whole year was just to be present through all of it, because I knew if I was present, I'd be able to know what I needed in each moment in order to perform, and also I to choose what I needed to feel the way I wanted to feel while doing it.
Speaker 2: What do you want to feel while doing it?
Speaker 4: Freedom and joy and joy in something like that too? Is I've recognized is really a choice. Some days are it's easier to choose joy than others. But yeah, when it's your career and it's a grind or like the weather's terrible and you're tired.
Speaker 3: To really like enjoy.
Speaker 4: The process and where you're at in the moment, it's is a choice. And yeah, I'm being able to like give yourself what you need that those days, which is sometimes calling it.
Speaker 1: Like it looks like so much fun even though I never ever want to do the halfpipe on a snowboard, Okay, it looks it looks so fun. You know, it's I you know, you say freedom and joy and it looks like that, and of course I know there's so much more happening inside your body. It's it's hard, it's technical, it's you know, it's a lot of things. But I love that you're saying these words freedom and joy because that is how it feels to do that.
Speaker 4: Do you sometimes but it's what it's like really going well, yeah, and like.
Speaker 3: When I feel those things, that's when I ride my best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I think it's probably about like relaxation, right, like you're actually in your body and Jack lacks and you know what you.
Speaker 4: Can do and you do it, yes, exactly. Yeah, you trust yourself, you trust the process and the movement and everything. Yeah, and it's so fun and like that's the feeling I crave. And I don't know the exact percent of time that I actually feel.
Speaker 3: That, but it's not. Yeah, it's like maybe thirty percent.
Speaker 1: If you had to say the absolute high point of your career as a pro snowboarder so far, what would it be.
Speaker 4: That's a really good question. I don't know if I have that yet. And I'll say.
Speaker 3: Last year.
Speaker 4: Last year, my first World Cup back in almost ten years, I got third place and I didn't was not I was not expecting that. My goal for that event was to just land a run because I, you know, my last few years of competition in the past, I didn't know how to. I was rarely landing runs because I was so like disassociated and just yeah checked out and it affected my performance. And so I really just wanted to land a run. And I landed a run in qualifiers and in finals ended up podiuming and.
Speaker 3: That result was really cool.
Speaker 4: But like that was the hardest competition honestly, besides the Olympics, as far as what I felt inside of myself as far as nerves and self doubt and all those yeah, like negative habits of the past came up and were right on the surface, and I chose something different. Wow, that's beautiful, and that feels like my high point so far.
Speaker 2: What's next for you?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not done.
Speaker 4: I feel I have learned far too much about myself in the last two years, and especially in the last month of the Olympics and everything, and reflecting on my Olympic experience, I've learned way too much to stop now, and I feel like too the hard work is like just click starting to click for me, right, I like laughed after the Olympics.
Speaker 3: I was like, it's funny.
Speaker 4: I thought I was going to be peaking in a year and a half after taking ten years off.
Speaker 3: That's funny. But I think I could just skip up to.
Speaker 4: The top my ability level at that time with that amount of time.
Speaker 3: So I want to keep going.
Speaker 4: I do probably need another knee surgery, just because you know, my last one was in twenty twelve, but that was my fifth knee surgery all before I was eighteen, So now my knee is just old. I'm not old. I'm turning thirty two in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: I know, Maddie, you have the same birthday as my son.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, you're exactly ten years older than my son Carver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a great day.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: Torus is unite, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's go. We're stubborn.
Speaker 2: So there's some What's in your future is some more PT.
Speaker 8: So if you got some good PT some time, some good Yeah, I mean I actually I love writing also so and it really helps me.
Speaker 4: It's a good outlet for me. So then reconnect to that this summer and.
Speaker 3: Go from there.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I've done, and I feel like I'm just at the beginning.
Speaker 2: You've only just begun.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: It has been such a fun pleasure to talk to you, Maddie. Thank you so much for taking the time to be on the show. Yeah, thank you, Cheryl. This is awesome.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: If you would like to send me a letter seeking advice, please do send it to Dear Dearsugar at gmail dot com. And don't forget to rate, review, and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. Happy Trails and I'll see you next week. Min Over Mountain with Cheryl Strait is an iHeart Women's Sports production produced by Britney Brown and Rodney Brown of Barbara Jean Productions. Supervising producer is Kaylin West at REALM. Associate producer Amaya Brathwaite. Our executive producers are Molly Barton, Jerry Carrita, Grace Views and Jesse Katz. Our theme song is composed by Gramoscope Music. Don't forget to raise, review and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts, Happy Trails and I'll
Speaker 2: See you next week.