Speaker 1: It was crazy because I'm praying for my mother to get free from an active crack addiction, but I'm two blocks down serving somebody else's monther.
Speaker 2: Those were not tough times. They were times that I realized it was all part of the journey. When I look back, I marveled how everything turned out.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm gonna get back to the pro game. You know.
Speaker 1: I started in two thousand and four December Staple Center. Had my first pro fight, second fight against Kenny Costs, got buzzed.
Speaker 3: Then maybe three or four.
Speaker 1: Fights after that, you know, got dropped in Portland, Oregon under Carter Floyd Mayweather, Shamba Mitchell against Donell Boone. What are you thinking at that time? Did you think I didn't have a chance at that time?
Speaker 4: No, because when Kenny car said you didn't see the punch.
Speaker 3: I didn't see the one of them punches, and it was.
Speaker 2: You were over your feet and you didn't have your eyes on where they should have been. Darnell Boone, it was a mistake, an amateur, a mistake where when the ref tell you to break, you drop your hands and you step back, and the pros you can't do that, So he told you to break and he fired up.
Speaker 4: Beculsen't he caught you?
Speaker 2: But you got up and you you actually had him hurt. So no, I never worried about that at all.
Speaker 3: I got up.
Speaker 2: If you stayed down, oh man, we got a problem, right, got a problem. But that was both of those were on the money punches and you took him, but you came back within seconds and they never landed another punch.
Speaker 3: You know. I had to shake off that. You know.
Speaker 1: The knock on me was he got an amateur style. He don't hit hard and he can't take a punch. After I got dropped against Boom, I.
Speaker 3: Had to shake that off for years. You know. I had to shake that off for years.
Speaker 1: And it's like hbo was like, man, you know, we we'll, we'll, we'll, we'll put.
Speaker 3: Him on the air. But if we got one more, one more slip up, that's it.
Speaker 1: I went from one sixty to one sixty eight tournament called the Super Six, and I remember we kept hearing about this tournament, the top six super middleweights in the world, and me and Derail was the young guys coming up up.
Speaker 3: Carl Frod was established, he was a champion.
Speaker 1: Arthur Abraham was a champion in one sixty but they figured he was gonna do the same thing on one sixty eight. You had Jermaine Taylor that that was teetering, and then you had the big dog, Nicol Kessler.
Speaker 3: So I'm hearing it's not gonna happen. It's not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Ain't no way all these promoters gonna get together and put they fighters in this tournament that's gonna last for two years. So Jay telling me I'm in Mexico, he like, bro, enjoy your vacation.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you sure, because I'm hearing it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: In a week long story short, the first press conference to kick off the Super six happened in New York. Ward ain't there, And I'm like Jay, he like what looked like it happened? And then you called. You was like, man, hey, you need to get on the plane right now. And I'm like, man, verse, I mean, ja said man, Jay, Man, look man, you had that tone of your voice.
Speaker 3: Look, man, you need to get on the plane.
Speaker 1: Right now because they you're not gonna be a part of this tournament and it's gonna lock you out of this Super I mean out the sixty eight pound championship.
Speaker 3: Of getting the title, it ain't gonna be a good look. Man. I get I packed the family up, drive tos in.
Speaker 1: They're gonna fly back to the Bay. I got a double ear infection.
Speaker 3: I'm sick. Unpacked the bag, packed the bag, got on a red.
Speaker 1: Eye of Germany to the second stop for the Super six to announce it the next day. Man and I remember calling you after the press conference. I was like, Man, I said, they don't think the American's gonna do nothing.
Speaker 3: He was like, what what's the vibe? Like what you?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 1: I said, Man, They just they got us here as like a placeholder. They just you know, I'm the gold medaler. So that's that's good window dressing. The rails, you know, flashy and the and then you got Jermaine Taylor. But they they really about the Europeans, and you was like, we're gonna We're gonna show them.
Speaker 3: So I ended up getting.
Speaker 1: The toughest fighter the first the first round of the tournament in two thousand and nine against Michel Kesler at the House.
Speaker 3: That was that was no other way I would take it. Right. It's just like when you fallow back and rink. Why though, why you guys want me to take the rough route?
Speaker 2: Well I didn't. I didn't ask for him. That's what they presented, that's who they offered. So I didn't ask for him, but I I had.
Speaker 3: But you always say, just like, it's gotta be that. Wait, why my role gotta be rugged?
Speaker 2: Because that's to stimulate your mind for the owners that you hear for a reason, that you're doing this for a reason, and it.
Speaker 4: Sets the tone. It it sets the tone.
Speaker 3: So that's why you were there.
Speaker 2: You were not there to be waited on later on in your second or third fight to set the tone. I'm gonna set the tone in the very first fight. So anybody who didn't have their mind on me or it looked at me as a thread or anything like that, now they know I'm a threat.
Speaker 3: Now they know. So I got you here.
Speaker 4: Now I got you here because I'll easily. I did it.
Speaker 2: You know how violently I did it, how uncompromising I did it. So now they know this is what you gotta face, right, this is what you gotta face. So that was that was a blessing in disguise. But I always knew we would win the tournament. I just didn't see nobody there that could do it.
Speaker 4: Outside of a lucky punch or something.
Speaker 3: That set the tone. But it's like God always be doing that with me, you know.
Speaker 1: It's like even as an amateur, we used to have his book called, you know, the USA Boxing Book, all rankings, and then certain guys.
Speaker 3: That get a cover story and a feature.
Speaker 1: It's like I was number one since two thousand and one, never got a cover store, never was highlighted as a premier athlete.
Speaker 3: But after I want to.
Speaker 1: Gold medal, the last USA Boxing book that I that I was ever a part of all you, I was on the cover and God was like, see right, same thing with the super six, the last man standing.
Speaker 4: What is the word say? The end of a thing is better than the beginning.
Speaker 3: Or even even my pro career.
Speaker 1: A lot of people had a lot to say, had went through, went through what professional athletes go through, injuries, lawsuits, you know, fighting for myself as a businessman is that, you know, But when it's all said and done.
Speaker 3: People said, oh, you never want to dispute it.
Speaker 1: I didn't have to be undisputed because every weight class I touched, I finished that weight class being the best I had a ring magazine. Bell I was recognized as the best fighter at one hundred and sixty eight. Went Um did the same thing at once seventy five and first ballot Hall of Fame. Like, God, he don't always do that, But a lot of times it's like they don't see it.
Speaker 3: They don't see it, they don't see it, and it's like, oh, man.
Speaker 1: Look how about that kid war And it's like, but the journey and everything that I gained, it's powerful.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I don't always like that route, but for whatever reason, a lot of times that's the route that I take. That when it's all said and done, it's gonna be clear when it doest settles.
Speaker 2: Well, you remember when you were a young kid and I told you about getting out the game before the game retired. You to save your money, to invest your money, don't scander your money. Don't get caught off in trinkets and gadgets and chains and jewelry and things like that, big rams on your car. You're a family man, right, You're not in the street or anything like that. So for you to materialize into the men that you are today, you did it your way. You had an exit strategy, you had an exit plan, and you did it your way. But at the same time, if I always say this, God hadn't have given you the little.
Speaker 3: Thorns in your body.
Speaker 2: If you never had this knee issue, if you never had that shoulder issue, right, you might have kept going. Yeah, you see, but you had enough to know. I'm tired of going through this. I've hit the top. I've made it to the pinnacle, so now I can let it go. I'm satisfied. I'm satisfied. And in spite of what other people say, Oh, he ducked Bevo, he dug me the bell. Wait a minute, I beat the boogeyman of the light heavyweight division at that time.
Speaker 3: Be the Bell wasn't a boogieman. Bill wasn't a dood man. Them dudes was ranked like six.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Cobe left was the boogeyman of the division.
Speaker 3: He was right there. If he'd beat me, he'd have been number one.
Speaker 1: You don't fight number one and duck four and five.
Speaker 2: I went straight to the top, So I don't have to pay attention to all of that. I don't have to listen to all of that because I accomplished what I need to accomplish.
Speaker 4: Because in the fickle fight.
Speaker 2: World is always gonna be somebody else for you to fight, according to the fans, because they don't like you.
Speaker 4: They want to see you get deep.
Speaker 2: Then they left and then made you left on top. They can't stand you to leave it on top. So that that was the only fight that I wish I could have saw you and Derrel because both of you guys deserved each other.
Speaker 4: Both of you guys deserved each.
Speaker 2: Other, and it would not only been a great fight for the tournament, it would have been a great fight when the tournament was over.
Speaker 3: You guys could have saw each other at least two times.
Speaker 1: But it's crazy, though, because we were on a collision course in the Super six tournament. But you and Bumper his grandfather, y'all were convinced we wasn't gonna fight. Y'all kept saying Bumper like, man, I ain't gonna fight our boys, and you was like, man, we ain't gonna let it happen. And I'm like, Verge, my mind already shifted. I'm like, Verge, we gonna fight you Like nah, Man, it ain't gonna happen. My mind already shifted like and it didn't end up happening. If he would have, if Durrell would have beat Arthur Abraham, you know it would have happened.
Speaker 3: It just wasn't meant to be.
Speaker 1: But it's crazy because I got like me and Drrel like we came up together. We we was cool friends. We weren't like best friends, but we was cool. But when I saw that heat it was possible that me and him may fight, my mind just shifts, like so even when he thought Arthur Abraham, It's like I got two things going on, Like I went to the Joe Louis Arena as.
Speaker 3: A friend and rooted for him, right, I'm rooting for you, bruh.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, my other mind is is I'm reading you too, because everything gonna be on the line if you win this fight, if you beat Offthor Abraham, everything gonna be on the line. It don't matter how how long we've been knowing each other, it don't matter how close my godfather is with your grandfather. You finish try to hurt me, and I gotta try to stop you from doing that.
Speaker 3: So I can remember even pulling up like the day before the fight.
Speaker 1: A couple days before the fight, I was in Detroit and I'm like, Bro, how you feeling. Bro, Man, I'm nervous, man, and I'm nervous, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Looking at and it's like you a brother in the game.
Speaker 1: Man, We're about to risk at all sort the other my other mind is like, oh, you nervous, And I'm processing and I'm reading how he dealing with that moment. I have to think like this, I can't be in a place if we're not gonna fight or this is my butt. We're not friends right now, Bro. If you win this fight tonight, it's up. It's going down.
Speaker 3: So I had to.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to him, but I'm also reading man, I'm nervous, man. A lot of people are gonna be here. And I'm like, oh yeah, And I'm just watching it and I'm reading it, and I'm watching him when i'm reading it.
Speaker 3: Because I had to.
Speaker 2: That was a sad situation because he really fought that night. He shows a lot of skill that night. The reel did he showed that he was a player in the division and things like that. But after it happened. The reason why I knew it wasn't gonna happen because Bumper was telling me it wasn't gonna happen because he wasn't recovering from the head injury.
Speaker 1: But y'all was saying it wasn't gonna happen even before the Abraham fight. I remember y'all was talking a lot. He was like, Man, we ain't gonna let that happen.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Then I said, verb, it's on the contract.
Speaker 1: If we if if if he wins, we fighting. No, I don't think so. And I was like, vers, I can't, I can't.
Speaker 2: I little Bumper was telling me, we ain't no matter what, we just we're not gonna fight.
Speaker 4: That's what he told me.
Speaker 2: I never told him my side of it, but he told me, and you know, I salute Bumper because he cared about Yeah, he didn't.
Speaker 3: Want anyone to see. He didn't want to see that. I didn't want to see it. I want.
Speaker 1: I think from a boxing standpoint, it would have been a tremendous match up. Because I sparred with Dre d it's hard to deal with, yeah, you know, but but but deep damn, I didn't want to see that fight.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to fight.
Speaker 2: Now, a lot of people didn't want to see that fight, you know, because at least in the championship.
Speaker 3: But it would have been a great fight. It would have been a great fight. It'd have been a great fight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the real one by this qualification.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the real one by this qualification. Right. But he couldn't continue, right, He.
Speaker 2: Didn't continue to tournament anymore because he was having head issues and.
Speaker 3: It shook up his career. Man. It was I remember being.
Speaker 1: In the locker room and seeing him crying, and I was like, bro, it was it was crazy.
Speaker 3: And Anthony Dowel was trying to you know, Detroit.
Speaker 1: Like Oakland when they feel like you do something wrong with one of their guys. They were trying to get in the ring, and I was just like, bro, this is crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I hate that.
Speaker 2: It was a sad situation, uncalled for. You know, it was just a desperation moved by Abraham. He knew he was behind.
Speaker 4: And he just let it go. That's frustration, you know, that's frustration.
Speaker 3: Like I hadn't lost in.
Speaker 1: A long time, man, And like you know, when I became champion, even before that, you know, I used to say stuff like, man, it would have been good for you to have an early loss. You get that, get that monkey off your back? Why would you say stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Just to keep you mentally stimulated. I was stimulated enough trying to just and just to see what you comeback would be.
Speaker 3: I hate it when you said that.
Speaker 2: I know sometimes you got to say stuff that really strike a nerve. I used to tell you in the dress room. Then you caught me a headcase. Yeah, when you when you when you have so much perfection in what you do, when you put so much perfection in it, then it involves your head. You can't think straight sometimes because you're on this perfection drive. You're on the perfection trail, so you can't get out. You can't rationalize nothing, you can't ingest nothing that calms you down because you're always on this trail. So the competitiveness overrules relaxation sometimes, right, Competitiveness makes you say things. You get angry and mad in here and everything like that. And I didn't mind you being mad, right because I know the biggers of training, the rigors are training, what it takes to do it, the sacrifices it takes.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you're gonna be angry, but.
Speaker 2: It's not going to minimize me. It's not gonna take away what I feel I need to say, because I'm not in need to kiss you. I'm not here for that, right and I'm not afraid to not do it right, I'm not afraid too. So when you mad, I'm kind of happy, right cause the frustration comes out in there and you're actually releasing, You're actually venting things like that. So I understood that from being around kids for thirty years. You know, understood that. So you know, when I was at the probation department, kids would be mad about something, but it would actually be a release for them. After that anger subsides and the adrenaline subsidence, you're in a relaxed state.
Speaker 1: Why I used to hate when you and you said right in the middle of training again, man, it would have been good for you to have a loss early, to get that get that pressure off you.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what, Well, I'm a mean day.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to keep this thing going and not lose.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm trying to put things in your mind that you're gonna hear in the crowd. Also, when you're fighting, you're gonna have haters in the crowd. Yah, you this, you asked you that you gotta be able to take that right. So the first place it starts is in the gym.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: If you can't take it in the gym, you're not gonna take it in the arena.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: All it takes is one person to throw you off your game.
Speaker 3: You a bomb? Warr you ever done this? Man? You a fake?
Speaker 2: And and if you can, if you entertain that, it could take your focus off of what you're doing, you know.
Speaker 1: Being retired, and I've been able to reflect and kind of think, you know, just look back at my career and how we did things, and it's like, I know, the school you came from where fighters was more gotta isolate, you gotta stay away, you can't handlebody around you, don't, you know that kind of thing. And it's like, I think it's definitely a benefit to that, you know, eliminate distractions. But at the same time, it's like, I wasn't the type of dude that got distracted easy.
Speaker 3: I wasn't a.
Speaker 1: Type of fighter that like, you know, you look up, where is it, I'm in a night club in the middle of that. It just wasn't my thing, you know, I really wanted to win and you know, all of that kind of stuff. Do you think, looking back on it, we could have eased up on that a little bit.
Speaker 3: We had the mindset.
Speaker 1: Like keep all the media out, We don't want nobody here, like y'all only come when we have to have you here. Like do you think that, looking back on it, we could have did something different with maybe been more inviting to the media, or maybe because that was some of the pressure too, was you know, like I got to the point where and I blame you for this.
Speaker 3: I didn't even wrong my wife around me in training.
Speaker 1: Camp because that's what I was conditioned to do as a kid. Hey man, you gotta get away, hey man, you gotta get your mind ready for war. And a lot of that was true. All that was true, but it's like you start feeling weird about being around your family even in camp, because I'm not sleeping in the same bed with my wife, I don't have that softness around me, like I'm in that I'm in a house with another one of my.
Speaker 3: Trainers, and I'm grinding you.
Speaker 1: Would you have done some of that different or do would you have still kept it the same?
Speaker 2: Well to say say something about that, if you were drafted and you had to go to Iran Afghanistan and you knew you were going into a war, and you knew you were gonna get shot at with live ammunition, bombs, iug's helicopter, fire drones and everything else. And you and Blouoe Camp. Would you be one of your wife there then? And bullets flying at your head? Would you want a wife there? Would you be interested at talking to the press? And no, you're locked in on survival.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I knew that wasn't gonna always last. But once you're comfortable, and once you've been through it and been through it now you're able to shut out your surroundings is around you right early on, before you get comfortable with it, before you regiment yourself, before you discipline yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, keep keep.
Speaker 2: The woman away, right, keep the woman away, because even if you're not sleeping with her, she in the same room with you're walking around in a ninety's.
Speaker 4: That's a distraction, right, that's a distraction.
Speaker 2: If she's sleeping next to you and you not even have intimacy with her, that heater is next to you.
Speaker 4: You know, it's softening you.
Speaker 2: So you have to put yourself in a state of mind that somebody gotta pay for this, right, and it's disciplined. You got to get the discipline, then you can relax the discipline because.
Speaker 3: It's already there, it's already intact. We never relaxed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no, in your last fights at the dressing room was packed. It was different with a lot of people, was much different, telling his crew was there, everybody. It was much different. It was more festive. But I knew by then you able to block all that out.
Speaker 3: I knew how that wasn't.
Speaker 2: Gonna affect you right, but early on it would have affected you people in there that you'd have been distracted. So you have to learn how to compartment lines before you able to deal with distraction.
Speaker 4: That was the reason why for that.
Speaker 2: I always knew it wasn't gonna last for long, you know, I always knew that.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't even just the woman in my life. You said about even you know, dudes like who was that?
Speaker 3: What are you doing here? Man?
Speaker 1: You know, man, you know why you got him over here? You used to do that about everybody if they wasn't on the same page. I had a real reason to be here.
Speaker 3: You doing tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Well, people got to understand that I'm at work. This is my job, so why are you hanging around my job?
Speaker 4: Do I go to your job and hang around.
Speaker 3: No, I don't. If I went to your job, learn oh.
Speaker 4: B you can't be here. I could get fired.
Speaker 2: But you think it's okay to come to my job and hang around and talk about everything and everybody else accept what's going on at the time.
Speaker 3: If you go into a.
Speaker 2: Dressing room in most boxing dressing rooms, and that's not to knock nobody, everybody's got their own way. And if you sit there and listen to the conversations of the people in the room, they're not talking about you. They talking about what happened last night. They talking about this car they picked up. They talking about this girl they're going to see. They're talking about everything except what you do. Right, So that's a distraction. That's a distraction. So when people were come in the dressing room, they're all off in different type of conversations. No, I didn't like that at all, because you're.
Speaker 3: On my job. You in all my time.
Speaker 4: You're on my time, and you're on my job, and if.
Speaker 2: Something goes wrong, you gonna be pointing fingers at me. Right, I'm gonna be the first one that get to blame if something go wrong. So I'm not gonna get to blame by allowing you to come in here and express your agenda. Right, I'm gonna get the blame because I need I deserve the blame, right, I'm not gonna get the blame because you distracted my fighter, or you came in and why he's warming up.
Speaker 4: Man, I seen Susie the other night, man, she had this dress on, and you there trying to war them up. Man, you heard what he said.
Speaker 3: We didn't shut thues down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said this man in the locker room that was talking about stuff that was other than fighting, other.
Speaker 3: Than fighting, right, because it's a distraction.
Speaker 2: But I admit, you can get to a point where you so familiar, familiarized with what you do, and you got that early discipline in that early being able to push distractions out. It don't matter who's in there, because you're not gonna be an entertainer.
Speaker 4: You locked in on what you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you wouldn't change nothing, No.
Speaker 2: Of course, you'd have to get somebody like I had you from the root to the fruit. Guys who come now who've been fighting for a while, don't even bother him about it, right, because I understand that they've had a certain routine for a long time, so I can't go back and implement all the things. When guys come to me, they think I can make a ma Andre reward, I say, well, are you willing to do the things that he did? Are you willing to make the sacrifices that he did? Are you gonna have the discipline that he did in between fights, never getting no more than fifteen pounds overweight? You're gonna be able to get up early in the morning in Iran. You're gonna be able to wake me up like you do. I never had to wake you up. You woke me up right. If you can't do all that, don't look Number one, I can't do it anyway. But I can give you the habits and then what your ability is. It's gonna make your ability better if you embrace these habits. But if you keep the same habits, most guys that lose, most champions that lose, it's a hard way back for them to get their belt again because even though they make a coaching change, they still want the same habits that they're familiar with. They don't want to be taken out of their comfort zone right in order, So my question to them was No general goes to war to stay the same, for things to stay the same. General go to war, you go in the war for change. So if you come here, you're looking for a change, right, So all your habits and all your bad but nine times out of ten they want to hold on to these bad habits because there it's ingrained in them. So but yeah, I did that so you would get that discipline, so you learn how to push out distractions so you won't be caught off in anything.
Speaker 1: Man, we cleaned out the Superman aweight division with you know, obviously the Super six. It was a great finals fight with Carl Frosch. But then you know, they was talking about me fighting bout Tae, But I didn't feel like I needed to fight Bou Tae because I didn't respect the fact that he didn't do with everything that he could to be in that tournament.
Speaker 3: You know, dudes want to have you do the.
Speaker 1: Heavy lifting and then try to come and you know, reap the reward and fight you. So I gave that fight to Frog. Frog did what he did to him, But I went up. I stayed at sixty eight and I fought Chad Dawson. You know, he took your business with Chad Dawson, you know, had a lawsuit for two years, and you know, just just going through the things you go through, man, when you used to settle for what people tell you, when you not only ask questions but are demanding answers. And you know, survived that, learned a lot through that, grew a lot through that. And then in Steps of Rock Nation and I had one tune up fight against Paul Smith of twenty fifteen. But then HBO starts talking about me fighting Sergate COVID lied they pushing.
Speaker 3: To move up.
Speaker 1: So on one hand, I'm like, nah, this sounded like a trap, Like I don't know if I'm ready to move up. That really wasn't on my agenda. I was like, man, you know some good fights at sixty eight. So they kept pushing, basically saying that that's that's all we got for you.
Speaker 3: So you had a good plan.
Speaker 1: You was like, all right, we'll move up, but they wanted me to do one fighting then go. You said, no, you need to build yourself up to one seventy five. Just because you weigh one seventy five doesn't mean your body settled into one seventy five. So we were able to get two tune up fights and then the third fight November nineteenth, twenty sixteen, we ended up fighting Sergate Cold Lib. But when you first start hearing about Covid lib, what did you know about it and what did you feel about that me fighting him?
Speaker 2: Well, I had watched Sergey kovia leve long before they even suggested that before even when his title. When he came on the scene, I watched him and out I was feel impressed with him. You know, I realized that I never thought we'd end up fighting, but I was impressed with him, you know that the way he did things, the way he went about things, so he never left my mind. But I was a fan at the time he was that was a fan of COVID. You ain't tell me that before I was a fan of COVI left. I like how you got Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: I like how you got down. He was a fan of you just liked his fighting style.
Speaker 2: Well, I was a fan of until the point we was gonna fighth. Then I was an animate to a fan. Well, we weren't fighting him. I was a fan. I actually root it for him and fights because I like the way he operated. I like his smoothness. I liked his you know how he moved in on you and and but when they came with that, actually they came before the Paul Smith fight with it. So I told you, I said, we need three tune up fights.
Speaker 3: We need a whole year.
Speaker 2: I had been off of tune ups because he's been off and we got to acclimate and build into this weight. We're not just gonna step up and take this fight, because that's what they really wanted us to do. Because Peter Nelson, Peter Nelson was a good man, but he allowed me to have open dialogue with him, not to suppress what I needed to say. And I told him, I said, I know the network is pushing COVID left and they want to do it at our expense. So since they want to do it at our expense, we need three fights. We need three fights because he's not a light heavyweight yet and I'm not gonna put him in a situation where he hasn't acclimated to the weight.
Speaker 4: So they agreed, so.
Speaker 1: We got through with them them three tune up fights, and man, I training camp leading up to that fight was crazy. It was a tough camp. You know, continue to have issues with my right knee. It was a good camp, but it was it was a tough ca because the knee. The knee kept kept swelling up. It'd be three four times the size of my left knee. I'd have a good sparing day and then boom my knee. I couldn't do nothing the next day. And I'm the type of guys, you know, like I want to check my box, especially for a big moment. I did everything I was supposed to do, and God stripped that from me, you know. And I had two or three times at camps. I'm walking around my condo or outside like talking to you and Verge and Josh like, man, Gonna, I don't know if I can take the fight.
Speaker 3: You know you don't take the fight. Man, We can't you know. I'm like vib but man, like this's the most dangerous do it. I'm fighting. It's my I don't have my best weapon, my lead.
Speaker 1: Man, trust me, Man, God's got you. And it was like I felt it and I believed it. But I'm I'm calling in between the tension of like believing and not believing, and just like in my mind, I'm like, why would he.
Speaker 3: Put me in a situation like this, Why this right now?
Speaker 1: And let's getting my knee drained two hours before I went to the arena.
Speaker 2: You want to know why it turned out like that, because I think when you were was at first turn pro and you start playing basketball, and I warned you.
Speaker 4: I said, look, when you first.
Speaker 2: Started playing full court basketball, don't play no more than two games for about a month. I said, because what's gonna happen is you're in good physical shape, so you're not gonna get tired, but your ligaments and tendons are not basketball prepared and if you overdo it, you're gonna pop something. And that's just what happened. Yeah, I was too young too. The morning was too impatient. I said, don't play no more than two games at a time for the first month. Then add a game and you'll be okay. Because I played high level basketball, I know, right, you can't just go into one sport and go one hundred miles an hour. Because your cardiovascular system was so sound, you wasn't gonna get tired, but your lads and ligaments are gonna get tired.
Speaker 4: And that's how it popped.
Speaker 3: How was you feeling walking to the ring for that fight?
Speaker 1: Knowing everything that I had been through, good camp, but imperfect camp.
Speaker 2: I was very confident because I knew we had more than one plan. I knew we had more than one plan. I knew from watching COVID left over and over against certain fights.
Speaker 3: I never saw him fight on the inside.
Speaker 2: Never, So that lets me know that you know you don't like inside fighting or you can't fight on the inside, which it were both proved to be true. So that gave us a Plan B. Right, So after the first two rounds and shaking he was trying to find your steps and everything, we went to Plan B, and Plan B ended up.
Speaker 4: Uh being up h the second fight we were.
Speaker 3: And when I got dropped though the second round.
Speaker 2: I feel no panic because you only went to one knee. Yeah right, so I knew he was alright. And then he had thirty seconds left the land of ventitor and he never landed it, right, so I knew we had it. Everybody was panicking that ring side. Come on, I said, look, leave him alone. Yeah, he's gonna be okay, Just leave him alone. Yeah, don't let him hear all this anxiety come in the ringside.
Speaker 4: Don't let him hear all this doubt. In your voice. Just let him listen to me.
Speaker 3: Right. So we took it to the inside and that's that's where it's kryptonite. Was the best best. I think that's the best fight you ever coached.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you need it to be that, you know as and then clips go viral every time they put them on the internet because it was just it was real.
Speaker 3: Don't leave nothing to chance. Now, you got it. You understand when this is clicking and that's hitting. You got it?
Speaker 5: That power jab when he comes to you, step in with it and look at that darkness biting. Okay, and bring it. Bring you both feet with you. Okay, down low where you can latch through your legs. Okay, right when he step here, and keep everything tight and crack. Now I believe you're close the gap. We gotta wear every single ground. You hear me, You start to put it together, you drink man, This is what great to see us. Robinson didn't got up, Leonard and got up all.
Speaker 3: Lader got up. You got up.
Speaker 1: I didn't hear no panic, but I heard urgency, like we need this well.
Speaker 4: I wanted to appeal to that side of you. You know.
Speaker 2: I didn't really go into boxing instruction. I didn't say, news, your jab more, do this more. I didn't say that. I appealed to your instincts, your ability to adjust instincts, and your will to win. That's what I appealed to and gave you the picture, gave you the vision that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy because you know my critics they try to they like to poke at that fight, like like.
Speaker 3: Like it was something wrong with that fight.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, first of all, did y'all do y'all forgot what y'all said leaning into the fight our ward? You know, he deep he went, he ain't gonna beat this dude. He's gonna get cleared. He was supposed to finish me, right. We shouldn't even be talking about whether the fight was closer or not down the stretch. But you know how there's a people and they gave see a knockdown. He wanted to fight just because of knockdown that early.
Speaker 3: And look at the scorecards. I want.
Speaker 1: I want to fight because I closed like a champion as supposed to throughout the fight.
Speaker 3: But in that twelve round he took us foot off the gas.
Speaker 2: Fight fans who are not around fighting all the time, they see what they want to say, they see what they want, right, They.
Speaker 4: Never even fight announcers today fight media.
Speaker 2: They see what they want to see. They route who they want to root for it. And when you have that type of mentality, uh, to judge or fight, you're not looking at what the other person is doing. You're not looking how how systematic this is changing around because you're only looking at.
Speaker 3: Your guy and what he does.
Speaker 4: So every time he throws some punches, you cheering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I looking at the fact that I slipped him and then I blocked him and they hit him with two bodies, right, And you don't realize when he's grabbing me, I'm sticking him underneath, breaking him down. You don't even realize right in front of your eyes, he's breaking down.
Speaker 4: You don't even realize it.
Speaker 2: See, so quite naturally, fans of Covid Left gonna say, Covid Lev won.
Speaker 4: That's what fans of covi Left gonna say.
Speaker 2: But people that just don't like me, Oh, people just don't like you, right, because the networks that promoted him so much and he was just destroying people.
Speaker 3: It was a legitimate reputation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had a legitimate reputation, and uh, he was a darling to the networks, right, he was a darling to the networks, you know, the way they promoted him with the sentence to smile and the jack O landin.
Speaker 4: He was a darling to the network.
Speaker 2: So it was it was a situation that fans gonna fans are gonna always see what they want to see in a fight.
Speaker 1: So I got on the rope when they announced the decision, and my critics, Ah, you look surprised. They don't know that. You whispered to me that I already told you you on I knew I want.
Speaker 3: I think it was Dino Duva that told you he came. He had I think it was Dino, and it was Josh. Was a Josh.
Speaker 4: It was Josh.
Speaker 1: Josh came and you said, you said, hey, we got about one round before before buffer even had a chance to exactly to even read the scorecard.
Speaker 3: And like you you thought you lost. Brother. I knew I want, like I literally knew I want.
Speaker 1: I got, you know, because you can you get to you kind of know, you know, if you get somebody to look at it like man, you got it, they'll give you a little you a little.
Speaker 3: Kite and let you know, but it's so crazy, man, that's one of that.
Speaker 1: That's probably Covid Left two is like the polished, like we did everything we were supposed to do the first time type of fight, and it was beautiful and it was systematic. But that first fight is different because I had to get it out the mud. I had to you know, dig myself out of a whole something I never had to do as a professional, and to do it against that dude on that stage.
Speaker 3: That's one of my favorite fights. And people don't realize that.
Speaker 1: Like I found out everything I needed to know about him in the first fight. Leaning into the second fight, I knew I felt him weakening. I knew he didn't have no answers I saw. I knew he didn't close strong.
Speaker 3: Late eleven and twelve, we knew about all the bad habits, right and uh. After that fight.
Speaker 1: Though, after the first Covid Left fight, I didn't come back to the gym for like three months. I didn't test the gym, didn't want nothing to do with it.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I think I may be done.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like I fight to guy, it nobody wants to fight. I do what you say I'm not gonna do and it still ain't good enough.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It kind of felt like already dealing with this stuff physically. But then also it's like, what's the point, you know, what's the point? And we did decide to take the second fight, and you know, it was a money thing at that point in time, and we got the money where we needed to get it. I don't know if you know, I don't think we ever talked about this, but I knew going into that fight. So that was my last fight.
Speaker 3: I knew it, you know, I knew it.
Speaker 1: And I think that helped me because I could see the light even at the end of the tunnel. But and I chose to do it like that be because you know, I didn't want I didn't want you coaching me different.
Speaker 3: I didn't want that on your mind. I didn't want none of that, you know. And I didn't even really know how you was gonna take it. And I wasn't a hundred percent short too.
Speaker 1: I wanted some space too if I decided to not do it, I had that space too, But I knew, man, I was ninety percent short, that like is it and I and I knew I had to win cause if I, if I lose, or if it's close, they gonna give it to him and we gotta do a third fight, can't.
Speaker 3: We can't leave it one one.
Speaker 1: So I had a lot of motivation going into that fight, man, and that's probably the best camp I had. I was happy, I was super sharp, and I remember before the the the first day that I came back to the gym after being off for three months, you said we're gonna stop it.
Speaker 3: I said, he. I didn't say that, just bleeve it.
Speaker 1: I was like, how you You was like to the body, and sure enough, that's what happened.
Speaker 4: That's what happened.
Speaker 3: I think he retired at the right time.
Speaker 2: It didn't It didn't bother me at all because we had talked about it for years. I mean, to go back to day one when I first saw you, to your last fight. That's a journey for a book. I mean, that's a journey, man. When I look back on that journey in the years that it covered, it's a journey. So when you told me, I think that's it. I know I can tell your voice would expected me to say, why man, Why No? I don't have nothing else to prove. I came out on top. I'm number one in the world. I defended my title. I'm a two time no not two time champion. But I got other options. Now, I got other irons in the fire. I got an exit strategy. You see what I'm saying. So it was the right time. And like I said, I think that God allowed these ailments to come on you, not to really hamper you, but to remind you. You know that this ain't gonna last forever. And if I got to go through each camp dealing with this or dealing with that, well, actually this was healed.
Speaker 3: The shoulder was healed to.
Speaker 2: Deal with this and everything like that, and none known. And now I'm coming off a high or stopping this guy. Now what's next? I gotta fight another year or so before Bibbil and beiderbelv come along, right the position, Yes, So who am I gonna fight? That's gonna bring me the recognition? None of them's gonna bring the recognition. COVID like Bibbel and beat the bed and not being promoted like COVID level was promoted. COVID level was promoted big time. He was a darling of HBO. So you went out at the right time.
Speaker 3: My way.
Speaker 2: I did it my way, and it's always gonna be haters. But without haters, we don't get.
Speaker 4: The achievements and we have it.
Speaker 2: We don't get to honor our achievements and enjoy our achievements.
Speaker 3: So I beat I beat covid ed a second time.
Speaker 2: And well, not to cut you off, but look what that Look what HBO offered. After the second covid Let fight. They called me and said, Verge, just pick anybody you want to fight.
Speaker 3: That's a down, that's going down. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So I can pick anybody, anybody you want to fight, just pick them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, like I think a month or so after the fight, you know, I start kind of feeling like, man, maybe you know, maybe I'll stick around because all my deals start renewing.
Speaker 3: Well, he actually came to the gym. I start, So I start, I start.
Speaker 1: I remember I had a like that pink set I had on. I remember, like it was yesterday minute, the winning set. It's all pink. My my Jordan deal was getting renewed, my HBO like fighting deal, and my commentating deal was getting renewed. Other sponsorship was getting renewed, and I was supposed to train that day, and I remember I was just sitting at the house and I was just it just hit me, like I was I was turning the corner like, man, Okay, maybe maybe I'll do one more, maybe two more. It just hit me and I was just like, I don't want to do this no more. Man, I don't want to do this no more. And normally when I talk like that, my wife tip, she she like, like, it ain't it ain't trying me.
Speaker 3: I feel you.
Speaker 1: I know you know, I know it's rough, but man, you She was like, Man, just hearing you talk today, she was like, man, I think the decision has already made. It's tough for me because you know, like I didn't say nothing to you about retirement. You was the last person I called, man, because I just it was tough.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: And I'm a person so that I can carry other people's stuff, you know, I can carry other people's you know what. I think how I think they gonna respond, you know, And you hadn't mentioned nothing to me about retired.
Speaker 3: Man. You hadn't said nothing like that, so I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 1: I knew you wasn't thinking about that. And I remember the night before I announced it. I didn't tell really anybody, man, because I didn't want it to leak, and I didn't want I didn't want nobody to try to talk me out of it. And it was just a personal decision, you know. And so I told you the night before I called you. That night, I was at Jack Lindon Square in Oakland, and I remember I was like, man, I got a calling, I'm announced us. In the morning, I got a calling, and I reanber. I called you and I didn't know what you was gonna say, and you was like, he was like, man, I'm happy for you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: You know you said, man, they never got a chance to see you beat up, bloody slurring, he said, I'm happy for you. And uh, but it's hard to believe that. I believe you was happy for me. But it's hard to believe that that was like that's all you felt.
Speaker 3: Though. That's tough to say. I mean, like, I'm gonna be real with you.
Speaker 1: It's day, it's days even today where I feel bad. I feel bad because we had a system, we had a program, and just that one decision shook everything up.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It never became negative to me because We had talked about it from day one, and I knew.
Speaker 3: It wasn't my plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before for the day to be here. It's different than talking about it. You mean being here at this moment. No, No, I'm saying like the day arriving, or he really gonna retire, Like that's different than saying when you need to retire on top one day, that's that's in the future. But when the phone call comes through, it's a different conversation.
Speaker 3: It's real now. It didn't affect me one way. I was happy come on here. No, I was happy.
Speaker 4: I was happy what you.
Speaker 3: Which you had?
Speaker 2: No regrets, no struggles, no if you The only thing, the only thing that I say, and I don't regret it. The only thing I say is after the second Covial Left fight, you had got into a real groove because that was your fifth fight after the layoffs. So and I said your best years would be thirty five and thirty six, right, So that's the only thing I'm left to wonder with wonder where he could have been at that time, because I saw it. Once you got into that groove and once you had beat Covid Left, now you're gonna be very difficult to deal with. I don't care what they say about Bibil and be the bet great fighters, powerful fighters, but that will to win is something they never been confronted with the style that you're the jack o Lanta, the jack of all trade styles that you could do.
Speaker 3: That's not knockadem.
Speaker 2: I think most of them dangerous, and I would be surprised if they wanted to fight. But against oh, against you, nah, I don't put that.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to get a reaction out of your no.
Speaker 2: But now I was happy because it was done, and I knew everything was right. I knew you didn't have to take a fight. That was what I didn't want to do. I was talked about old trainers. When it's over, whether they physically done or they're mentally done, they're done right. Because once you start wrestling with should I retire, shouldn't I retire? That takes an edge off of you because you got should and shouldn't involved. Instead, I am I should and I'm going to do it it should maybe I'm not going to do it. All these factors come into play, so you can find yourself in a fight that you're supposed to dominate, and you'll slip, you know you'll have a poor performance because you you jack in with yourself. You're playing with yourself. You're like should I should not? And that's not a good attitude of good mindset to take it to the ring. Yeah, but I mean when I looked around, everything was set, Your family was set, you was set, everything was taking care of. What more can't you want? They can throw money in your face off if you just if you announced that you was coming back today, somebody have a couple million, two or three million dollars on the table for you.
Speaker 3: Oh don't always righting about that?
Speaker 2: No more more than that if you announce it today. So just knowing that it is consolation for me. It's consolation for me. And then I have a great example, a great talget piece of other fighters that come in that's so curious about you and wanted to come in and change your careers and everything. I have something that's very factual, something that's proven to tell them. Now, whether they embrace it or not, that's another thing. But you left me with a foundation, and you know, and I'm benefiting from that foundation to this day.
Speaker 3: You see.
Speaker 2: So No, I'm I'm very happy I didn't have one negative thought about did you think I was gonna do it? Once you told me he was, I thought, And then what else is it left to prove? I don't have nothing else to prove. I just beat the boogeyman in the division. What else do I have to prove?
Speaker 3: And I went out.
Speaker 2: I stopped him something that you guys never thought was possible, never envisioned him being stopped, never envisioned him quitting before he got stopped. See, No, that's gonna be a hard one the top. That's gonna be hard when the last fight they remember is gonna be that one. And I can remember you on the ground, and I can remember you taking fights when you wave past your prime.
Speaker 3: Look at Joe Lewis right down, a great heavyweight, right.
Speaker 2: But they still show fights that he shouldn't have took, with Marciano, with as a Charles and.
Speaker 3: Places like that.
Speaker 2: It wipes out all the great things you've done. And then when you gotta fight because you have to fight for money, it's a sad situation. The young guys, I tell them all the time. I haven't told him, but I wonder, why would you start making big money? The next thing I do, I see you at the ring side with two hundred and fifty three hundred thousand dollars, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and it's like, that's what they've been looking back when they didn't have it.
Speaker 2: Here's a case of having men around you. Where's somebody to say, wait a minute, man, you could take this money, put yourself with a position where you can own the jewelry store over a period of time, and then you can wear everything free. Like Johnny dang right, he owns the jewelry store, so he could glean blean up anytime he wants to, any which way he wants to, because he owns it. You got something around your neck that's gonna depreciate right in time.
Speaker 3: So you take that three.
Speaker 2: Hundred and you can go get four or five houses, put fifty thousand houses certain neighborhoods, and now you got income coming, equity building and everything like that. It's none of my business, but it does affect me in a way. When I see value around your neck, When I see generational wealth being put around your neck and hung up in the closet somewhere when you're not doing it, I see generation of will cause you gonna need it, right, you gonna need that money on right when you go buy what a Bentley or something like that, you see, if you can afford it, if you can afford it. Yeah, that's the tricky part. Can you afford it?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: Not the floor.
Speaker 2: So but it's a short sport, it's a short game. It could end at any time, straight up, any time. I don't care how good you are.
Speaker 4: Anything.
Speaker 2: One wrong move, just be wrong, wrong punch in the wrong place, and it's a rap m you see, and you never recover from that. So no, I appreciate when you got out, and I don't ever have to look back, you know, are I used to tell you? I don't never wanna be a old coach on a stump sitting somewhere talking about man I should have done this cause I allow somebody to keep going.
Speaker 3: And getting brain damage. I don't care who it is.
Speaker 2: If I got guys in here now and it don't look like they got it, I'm gonna tell 'em. I don't care if you got a million dollar on the table, I'm gonna tell you because I'm not gonna sell out to money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I care about you.
Speaker 2: You're in a sport that you can get hurt, killed, and effect not only you, but your family and everything else. You know, So take the sport serious because it's a serious sport. It's a deadly sport. And then when you have ability and you going through the routines and everything and everything is shining your way, it's still something could show up.
Speaker 3: I don't know where.
Speaker 2: There's always somebody that's your kryptonite. Always somebody that's your ryptonite, and usually you meet them at the time that your skills are eroding. You see, what do great champions have to do to keep their name going. They gotta fight somebody that's more superior than them at the time. But their name brings the value. So they make money on their name because that's the only way they know how to make money. Because when they were making money, they never took the time to invest the money and learn how to make money make money for them, you know, they too busy party and too busy having a good time, too busy hanging around with a whole bunch of ten to twenty in the posse and things like that. But to each everyone, I don't knock it everyone's journey, I don't knock everyone's desires them how they want to get down but just being my age of seventy two and being around coming through the Civil rights era and things like that, and being around so many incarcerated kids, you know, I do have a desire in my heart to see these guys make it.
Speaker 3: I want to see them make it.
Speaker 2: I want to sear some stories, and man, I own the block, Terres Crowford owns the block, right. I hear's your core got houses and things like that. I want to hear those success stories that if it ends today, I got something.
Speaker 4: To fall back on. You know, and go to school. If you don't go to school, start reading everything insight, because if you could read and comprehend, you're gonna be able to make it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the last thing you told me the night before I retire was and don't come back either. You said, yep, don't come back.
Speaker 3: Don't come back cause they gonn never be the same. You ain't never wanted me to come back.
Speaker 2: The only reason why I could see you coming back because you have to come back, right and you didn't have to come back, So don't come back. But if you sometimes you play games with yourself three or four months later, it could change. But I have definitely asked you.
Speaker 3: Are you sure? Are you sure?
Speaker 2: Because you was three months ago you weren't talking like this, but you're talking different today. But I know how fighters there change, right, because they go through these camp tired of these camps. I'm tired of being away from my family. I'm tired of the negative media. I'm tired of being shafted here, she afted there. I'm just tired. But then after a month, till you watch a fight on TV, he said, no, man, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Get back with it. Right.
Speaker 2: So, but when you retire on top, it's different. Everything else is beneath you. You don't have nothing else to prove. I proved it in my time frame. I don't have to prove it in yours. I don't have to prove it in nobody else's. I prove it in my time frame.
Speaker 3: That was my time, and I proved it. Yeah, So I don't have to go.
Speaker 2: See listening any more time or so listening any more approval from anybody.
Speaker 3: And I know.
Speaker 1: That where I left where I left off, any era type of fighter I could, I could fight in any era, any air that's right, not an era that that that's out there from a toughness standpoint and skill standpoint, h enduring standpoint like I feel like I'd have been a great fifteen round fire.
Speaker 4: And most important, your peers respect. You see, when you get respect from your peers, whether they like you or not, they gotta respect you.
Speaker 3: You know you did it right.
Speaker 2: You didn't cheat the game, you didn't cut no corners. You put everything you had in the game from the time it was nine years old. You put your whole life into it. Like you said before, you sacrifice the childhood. But what was there a childhood until God wanted you to be a man quick and by the time he was marriage was a man. But if you'd had other activities going on everything, you still might have been a playful guy around that time.
Speaker 4: So we can't ever question our journey. We just got to look back.
Speaker 2: Can make sure that people who are coming up behind us that seem to be on the path of the same journey I took. I could tell you where the pit stops are the pitfalls. I could tell you it don't go this way, man, I've been this way, don't. I could tell you all these things, whether they listen or not, as a different story. But if they don't listen and then encounter what you warned 'em about. Now that's a lesson right there for them to listen to you. Now you see what I'm saying. Be me telling you you was going downhill. That's something that you can actually validate. You can validate it, right because I saw it. Yeah, right, I saw it, And but I knew my position. I knew I had to be there, and I dedicated myself to being there because I knew it was not in vain.
Speaker 4: I knew it was for nothing.
Speaker 3: I just knew it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So i'm'a say this and closing, man, you know I it's been you know man, I'm I'm super grateful, man, Like I can't even describe how grateful I am.
Speaker 3: To be.
Speaker 1: Tow as to have sparred and it fought as many rounds off fought and still be able to live to talk about it. Yeah, you know, and and be that example because I didn't have a lot of them examples as a professional.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, he got out on top, he got out on top, she got out on top. We ain't have a lot of that. It's tools and fuse.
Speaker 1: You know, you count on one hand, and I know that that what I did is gonna have to impact without generation. I don't care what people say, I don't care how they try to spend it. That's that's man. It's a handful of people.
Speaker 3: M h.
Speaker 1: Right, even Florida ain't even been able to stay away back yard, you know what I'm saying, all time great fighters, So it's a unique place. And then you see, you know, other generations, Terance coming behind me doing it, and then it's gonna continue to build. And I believe it's your cours and hopefully Devin Handy and other ones able to do the same thing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And I wish I was around the gym more, man V.
Speaker 4: It's just be tough sometimes, man, it's like you understand.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like you kind of mourning the career, like it ain't bad, but it's just I remember walking through these doors every single day, you know what I'm saying, for some of the biggest moments of my life, and grinding on them heavy bags and in this ring and jump rope and right in front of that mirror, and it's like sometimes it's cool and it's like it give you life to be around fighters. Other time it's like, man, bro like, I'm never gonna do this again, you know. So if you don't see me a lot of times, man, that's a lot of what that is.
Speaker 4: Man, it's just be tough sometimes, you know. I understand.
Speaker 2: And the other part I understand that it's good you stay out the jail because it's a drug you start.
Speaker 3: It's just like any drug habits.
Speaker 2: You could kick the dope for ten years, but you go around it again, might get it, tempted to take a hit, you tempted to shoot something in your ard.
Speaker 3: So it's good you're not around it, right.
Speaker 1: I could out to do that one day off the couch and yeah, just get get it out of your system.
Speaker 5: Just it be it.
Speaker 2: You know, it's good to stay away. Once you're done, You're done. That chapter is closed. I'm on the bigger and better things. And I think that's, you know, some of the lessons that we gotta learn in life. When one chapter's closed, open up another one. I don't care how good I was. I don't care how good this chapter was, how much impact it had. I'm opening up another chapter because that part of my life is gone, you know, but it paid the way for the rest of my life. You see, what I'm saying. So when you have a chapter in life, make sure it's paving the way for your next chapter.
Speaker 3: And we're gonna leave it there. Man, I love you, appreciate you. Man.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 1: Man, were out of here for the art of ward Man. We're gonna catch you next time. Hope you all enjoyed that one.