Speaker 1: Time to get to the end of the NFL regular season as promised. It concluded last night with the Detroit Lions beating down the Minnesota Vikings. Okay, so who better to have as my next guest in the aftermath of that than the man I have on with me right now, all Worldwide receiver Hall of Famer. All he did was catch touchdowns. The one and only Chris Carter is here with me right now.
Speaker 2: What's up, bro? You okay?
Speaker 1: You know'sg nor football first? Let's ignore football first. I want to know if my brother is all right. Usually he got the purple pom poms, you know, he got the purple in the background, got purple mugs, got purple yep, got purple outfits, all of this other stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh, I want to know, is Chris Carter? Okay?
Speaker 1: After that ass kicking the Minnesota Vikings took on Sunday night to a Detroit Lions team that had thirteen dudes on defense on an injured reserve house, Chris called.
Speaker 3: It, I'm doing good, but we got booked last night. I mean that was disappointing, and the most disappointed part about it was the first half, because we had the game to take control spo. It is about momentum and when you force their quarterback Golf into a couple turnovers, when you have a short field, when you're in the red zone four times, you're only getting six to nine points that you're not gonna be able to beat. De Trader's played the most consistent football throughout the season, so in this nine game winning streak, this was not the game that they needed to see on Sunday night to build to finish the season. But you can't take away what the team has done this year. Detroit had a great game plan, Aaron Glenn choosing to play a lot of man the man covers zero and attack the Vikings wide receivers. That to me was one of the biggest storylines of not the biggest storyline of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've just said you know what to me. Listen, listen.
Speaker 1: They blitched Sam Donald, you know, more than sixty seven percent of the time. It was his the second most this season that any team has done in the National Football League. They had, you know, they had him, I think it was about sixty se percent. Either that or they had him in single cover that had a man coverage that amount of time, which basically means that's something you don't normally see if you're justin Jefferson and you Addison. But nevertheless, they clearly felt that if you put pressure on Sam Donald, we gonna see the Sam Donald we've been seeing it for the first the last six years or so, not the one we've been seeing for this entire season. So now that you saw what you saw, Chris Carter, how are you feeling about Sam Donald going into the playoffs?
Speaker 3: I still feel good about Sam Donald. You know the reason why, Because I'm a fair JOURNALI I'm not gonna keep moving the gold posts. I'm not gonna keep moving the in line, markt because what Sam Donald has done, taking over for a first round draft pick and JJ McCarthy and stepping in this offense, resurrecting his whole career. They didn't lose that game last night because of Sam Donald. Now, and if this was the old Sam Man, they would have scored fifty points. He would have thrown two or three picks. Now, were they out of saint? Did they rush up his mechanics? Yes, but that's other people. It's a team sport. He didn't play the best game that he's played in the last ten games. But the Vikings didn't lose because of Sam Darnold. They've had a great season. And I guarantee you if Lamar had lost and their team had fourteen and two and they lost to Detroit and Detroit, we wouldn't be talking about Lamar. Of course, he's got a better track record Josh Allen, But all these fours, right, Sam Darnald, Sam Donald has matched these guys for the season. Now, if we want to keep going back to viewing in his past, then we can keep doing that. But Sam Donald has paged the commentary on his whole career and last night was not an indictment on his ability. He is still going to be someone starting quarterback next season if it's not the Vikings, which I do believe the Vikings are going to franchise him. I talked to, you know, a couple of people, and I do believe.
Speaker 1: That it's a one year. It's a one year, ten million dollar deal. He's playing ounder. Now, you're damn right to franchise him. You don't want to just place all your faith in rookie. JJ McCarthy ain't playing an NFL game because he got injured before the season started. But let me ask you this last question on the vikings.
Speaker 2: So how do you feel?
Speaker 1: How do you feel CC when you had the number one pick? The number one's a slot rather in your grasp, you would have been a number one seed had you won, and the road to the super Bowl would have had to go through Minnesota. Now, because you lost, the road to the super Bowl is gonna have to go to Detroit. You got to start out at a wild card and despite having a better record, you got to start out on the road in Los Angeles against the Rams next Monday night.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling about that? Chris Carter?
Speaker 3: It's the worst possible scenario. We had a homes fielding fantasy. If you look at if the players the players do a survey, Minnesota is one of the top three or four places the hardest places to play, Kansas City, Seattle, Denver, Philadelphia. Minnesota's always up there. So you got two games to go to the super Bowl. We haven't had number one seed since nineteen ninety eight, the fifteen to one team with Moss, myself, Jay Greed, Randall Cunningham. So this was man, this was this was precious, precious, precious cargo. And we fumbled it man, like we didn't handle it the right way. Now we're going on to it.
Speaker 1: Is that your way of saying that you no longer think that the Minnesota viks is going to Super Bowl, Chris Catter, That's what I'm asking, That's what I'm asking.
Speaker 3: They know they still have a chance, they still have a chance. But trust me, the other teams don't want to see Minnesota coming to play, like Minnesota is not a team everybody don't invite. Oh yeah, oh let's just play Minnesota. Man, that did get us an easy win.
Speaker 2: But Chris, I'll tell you this much.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you this much, Chris Carter, I don't think the Detroit Lione's got a problem seeing them.
Speaker 2: I don't think they got a problem seeing them at all.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think Detroit they got a problem seeing anybody. What happened to them last year? Last year they started off the season beating Kansas City. They finished the season losing in San Francisco, a game that they outplayed the San Francisco forty nine ers. So they have been on the mission all year. Respect to Detroit, respect of what they've done, respect to the defensive coordinator, the adjustment, respect of Ben Johnson. The offensive scheme that he that I believe is the most difficult to guard week in and week out as offensive coordinator for Detroit. No man respect Detroit man respect for what they're doing.
Speaker 1: By the way, before I move on, real real quick, what the hell did Aaron Glenn do defensively to neutralize Minnesota's offense to hold him to nine points and not a single touchdown?
Speaker 3: Well, for one, he changed up what they were doing in the last three games week fourteen to seventeen, they were giving up thirty two points a game. You talked about playing man the man in Blitzing's but he played zero coverage where he took the safety out of the middle. I think twelve to thirteen times. That's not something the Bite can see a lot of because they have such skill at the position wide receiver running back in at tight end, so that threw them all. They they got in Sam Darnold state, even when they couldn't sack him, they got in his face to make his throws a little bit higher. And when they needed to guard Justin Jefferson one on one, I gotta tell you they did a hell up a job against jj. That's not something that we normally.
Speaker 1: See let me transition real quick, your thoughts about the Philadelphia Eagles not letting Sakuon Barkley go for the all time single season rushing record he clips in Eric Dickerson and instead letting him sit out to make sure he's preserved and ready to go come playoffs.
Speaker 3: The reason because even if he breaks the record, if they don't reach their goal as a team as an organization, because that's what they brought him there. They brought him there to win a super Bowl. And by the way, if you can break you know, Eric Dickerson's Ed's rushing record, then that'd be just excellent. But you can't jeopardize the whole team goals for one individual. And I'm a wide receiver. I'm as selfish as they come. But when it comes down to one game, well you should have got it in sixteen games. If that's the case, or if you would have had now been the better position where you had the number one seed, then we might play you in the first half because you gotta buy week. But when you know you're planning the following week and it's going to be a headbanger three weeks in a row to bill to get to the Super Bowl again. No, you have to sit here because the team's goals and the team's aspiration in the team's sport is the number one priority. It's keeping the main thing the main thing.
Speaker 1: I feel you on that, and I don't disagree, but I still can say I agree. But I hate it because the running back position is so devalued.
Speaker 2: You got guys that miss.
Speaker 1: Out on money and long term contract just because of their birth certificate. You don't even pay attention to their production. You say, hey, they thirty, their time is up. We don't need them. So I hate that, but I understand it.
Speaker 3: And a little sidebar, it would have been nice to see him do it against the Giants.
Speaker 1: That's right, because we know how they treated them. Oh, by the way, I'm glad I remember that. I almost forgot to ask you, what the hell.
Speaker 2: Is up with the Giants.
Speaker 1: I have no problem with Table because Dave proved to me that he could coach. Give him something to work with and he can coach. But that damn GM who was so smug on hard knocks and letting Sakuon Barkley go and investing in Daniel Jones, the Giants electing to keep both of them in place for next season. I never thought that I'd look at the Giants organization and see them as being as bad.
Speaker 2: I never thought to them. I never thought so.
Speaker 3: No, it's not something you think about. They are one of the patriarch franchises that we have. But you lose your way tomorrow, family, They've lost their way, their selection of players, their management of players, the players they draft, second third contracts. They had mismanaged that. And to me, the question is what are they gonna do at quarterback? Is the Giants and Lamar family that they're not known to have an African American at quarterback and the best two quarterbacks are African Americans. So what they gonna do now, that's what I'm interested. I don't care who the coach is. I want to see what they do at quarterback because their history and history tells you. How do I know what they're gonna do in the future, what they've done in the past. I want to see what they're gonna do at quarterback. We should start conversating about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got the third pick.
Speaker 1: New England messed up because you know what, you fired Rod Mayo after one year and what have you. But what the hell was he doing whinning that game yesterday? They went from having the number one overall pick to drop into the number four overall pick.
Speaker 2: You got some.
Speaker 1: People in New England feeling like he should be five for that alone. Your thoughts about that, real quick.
Speaker 3: Man, you shouldn't be at the end. It's overwhere. The only way you can help the team is by continuing what you already did. You can't be trying to be a hero and win the last game. You got a chance to change the franchise and run stroke and he had to know there was bad vibes in the building. I believe that he knew he was going to be out of there, and he went on and inspired the guys and they end up winning in spight to stick at the craft. That's what I believe happened.
Speaker 1: I never thought about it that way because Kraft supposedly loved the guy, gave him a shot, you know. But they clearly want Mike Rabel That's who they want it all along, and an opportunity to get him him being out there, I think that's what they see right now.
Speaker 2: Let me move on.
Speaker 1: To the Pittsburgh Steelers, because the Baltimore Ravens are the AFC North champions.
Speaker 2: The Pittsburgh Steelers have lost four straight.
Speaker 1: Mike Tomlin looks on the verge of having another playoff loss because they play Saturday night and nobody's gonna pick them to beat the Ravens.
Speaker 2: That would be yet another year.
Speaker 1: It would be since twenty sixteen that Mike Tomlin and the Pittsburgh Steelers have not won a playoff game.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts about what you've seen from the Steelers.
Speaker 3: There is one way to correct the Steelers problems. And if they need a better wide receiver room, they need better guys, They need better people. They need a coach that will take control of that wide receiver room because they have had problems with that room. Even when a d was there, they had problems with that room and that has continued. Athletes left Pickings is an issue. Is not playing up to his ability. His ability. I'm not saying they're coddling him, but I'm saying they're doing things that are making him not necessarily developed as fast as he should develop. They should have had another veterans about the quarterback, No, no, no.
Speaker 2: What about the quarterback?
Speaker 1: I gotta I imagine receivers will be happy if they had a better quarterback throwing them the football.
Speaker 3: Stephen A, this is not something I'm guessing about, Okay. I know I've had conversations with Mike Tomlin over the last year and a half that room is a problem. And then we just start hearing about the interviews and stuff the last couple of weeks. So Pittsburgh does a lot of things well, but now they cannot overcome because they can run the football, they got a strong defense, Mike Mike's leadership is is one of the best in the league. But you can't overcome a bad wide receiver room when you have a quarterback, especially this temperamental and their relationship could be fractured fairly. East Russell had issues when he was in Russell had issues when he was in Seattle. Now with the weak wide receiver room, do you think they're not gonna be some issues in Pittsburgh. Obviously there are. Just listen to them.
Speaker 2: Tyreek Hill, He's made some noise too.
Speaker 1: This is the guy that departed from Kansas City, went and got the bag in Miami, swore up and down that tour was gonna be just as good as Patrick Mahomes, and now here he is. Look at this quote. There's a lot of things that I need to reassess about my career. This is the first time I haven't been to the playoffs. I mean, I just got to do what's best for me or my family that's here or wherever the case it may be.
Speaker 2: I'm opening the door. I'm out. Bro.
Speaker 1: It was great playing here, but at the end of the day, I have to do what's best for my career, all right. This is Dolphin's head coach, Mike McDaniel. He says, I was informed that he was unavailable right before drive.
Speaker 2: I was not.
Speaker 1: Informed that it was a new injury. There were guys on the field that were competing. We were trying to win a game, so my focus was there. We will see how the next couple of days progress. In convos with him and I, here's what the two things going on here. CEC Number one, you Tyreek Hill, you depart, You go get the bag of Miami. You swore up and down that the two A tongue of the low was gonna be as good.
Speaker 2: As Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 1: Very stupid thing to say. Kansas City has won two championships without Tyreek Hill. Ever since, he hasn't won a playoff game. He hasn't you know, he hasn't really done that. Secondly, you see the Twitter handle right there, he superimposes his face on Antonio Brown's body, so clearly he's telling you that's where his head is. At number three, he ended up pulling something like that. Dude Campbell for San Francisco did a month ago or so when he walked off the field, didn't want to play for the team, didn't want to enter the game in the third quarter. Tyreek Hill essentially did that. The only difference is he stayed on the bench. He didn't go inside the locker room. This is egregious stuff. What do you make of it?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not gonna correct you, but I'm just gonna let you know as far as what happens on the side. Now, Tyreek Hill on time, we got to places here in Florida. I go to a lot of Dolphins games. I follow the Dolphins. So he's had a knee problem that he hadn't been playing about all year. And when you go to a Dolphins game, after he makes a big catch or something, typically he comes out of the game. Now, I've watched him every year in Miami. No year has he been banged up as much as he has been. What typically happens in a situation like this, they're scoreboard watching, they're watching the Denver Kansas City game. The Denver Kansas City game starts to go sideways. Oh man, we ain't got a chance. Guess what, I'm not really getting ready to do. I'm not getting ready to get hurt out here playing for nothing. All right, I've been putting myself in arms way all season. I'm not I'm getting ready to check out and my teammates, Well.
Speaker 2: Then why just say that? Why not just say that? He didn't say that?
Speaker 3: CC.
Speaker 2: Why not just say that?
Speaker 3: Because I don't believe he's as good as with the media as I am. He's very very young, very very emotional. He's got a lot of other stuff going on that he didn't realize the long play. Because that's a professional decision right there. That people understand your teammates and stuff, understand how much you've been sacrificing, then that whole look like ad Man. You know, I take exception to that because to me, you know, I don't know where Ad is as far as his mental health to be able to mockt to be able to try to put yourself in the same light. And then also I see them five kids, and I hear that you got more than five kids. I see five kids in the picture on your headshot, and everything it should be about them, man, like they're gonna always go to go back, go back and google today and what the dad was doing. So be careful what you put out there. Man. A lot of this stuff is permanent and it's not about you. So he still got plenty good years of football left in him. He's a very, very explosive player. But I don't know why certain wide receivers towards the end of their career they decide to blow up places as they decide to transition to a new home. Going to a new home, there's nothing room with that. But there's a way to do it, and there's a way to handle your business and handle your affairs, and he's not handling that the right way.
Speaker 2: Two quick questions for I'll let you get on out here. Out of here. Is McCarthy going in Dallas? Should he be gone?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think Jerry Jones has a better option, and that's why he let the contract play out. I do believe that he has slurred around with Dan, and I do believe that he entertained maybe some other ideas, but he believes probably long term, I'm probably better off sticking with the guy that I have because I can keep running the Cowboys the way that I went to, which is the most important thing. It's not who's the head coaches? How do I run this football team the way I want to do it? And I have someone that agrees to that right now. And I mean, how many more coaches contract here? Think he got left in it? I mean it was a few years ago. He went to see the plastic surgeon and everything, like, you can't go see nobody else. Ain't no blood transfusion, ain't no hey man, you getting old thesis become somewhat permanent.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I know like you.
Speaker 3: This man wants to win. He is about winning, and he gonna try to do everything that he can to do. But this not that he tied is gonna be hard to impossible to untipped. I believe there.
Speaker 2: But he wants but he wants to win his way. He wants to win his way.
Speaker 1: And listen, he ain't trying to leave, He ain't trying to defer to anybody else. He wants to do the work because I think he's afraid the minute he steps away, he's just gonna lay down and die. And he doesn't want to do that. And and and that's really what it is about Jerry Jones.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But anyway, last question to you, I'd be remiss in not bringing up the Ohio State and college football.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I want to say this because you know, I took a lot of heat you had people because Kirk curves Sheet came at me in you know, he came, but I didn't take it personal or anything like that the way Shannon my Man Shannon Sharp did. But Kirk Curvestreet and Chris Foley came at us because we talked about how, you know, Ryan Day, you know, what his job could be in jeopardy And people thought that was ridiculous. And I'm like, even after he blew out Tennessee, I said, I don't want to hear that shit. I meant what I said. What I said was going into the playoffs having lost four straight games to Michigan, if this man would lose to Tennessee, he got to go. And then I love seeing you on the sideline for the blowout victory over Oregon. You're already in Pasadena. I said, my man, I said, my man. CC was on the air talking about the same damn thing, and he right there on the sideline.
Speaker 2: He ain't backing up.
Speaker 3: Ya.
Speaker 2: You better be here. You got That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I want to know your thoughts about what you've seen from Ohio State. How surprised are you if not at all? And what does say about Ryan Day that he's been able to win both of these playoff games in such a lopsided fashion.
Speaker 3: No, I'm very, very fortunate to be able to get inside the program when they were at the Rose Bowls, and that's be around the kids, listen to Ryan Day, listen to what they're saying before the game, whether they're justice at halftime. And I'm gonna tell you, I like what Ryan Day has done. I don't like the fact that we've lost the number of games to Michigan, and I don't like the style for which we lost, you know, two years being totally out physical and then this year being idiots for not throwing the ball to our explosive players. No, I don't like that. When I look at the overall state of the program, what kind of kids we had, how they play, how they represent the buck guys. I'm pleased with Ryan Day. The only thing that's going to be able to overcome people talking about Michigan is for the team to riches potential. That's what they are doing now. They are playing the style of football, and everybody talks about the twenty million INIL. They're third or fourth in college football. Oregon has twenty three million INIL for the football team. Texas has twenty two and a half million for their football team. You know, so people act as if Ohio State got twenty million, everybody else got five millions. No other teams are out expensive. This team has the potential to be the only team in Ohio state history that wins the national championship without beating Michigan. We've won eight national championships and all those seasons we beat Michigan. So he does have the program in the right state where it needs to be. Are we upset about the Michigan of course, and we should be, and we should be able to speak our minds about our head coach. If you don't beat Michigan, you are going to have a problem with a certain amount of Buckeye thinking and that's the way it should always be. This is a prime time job, but he is built for it. I do believe that he can take this to an all time high as far as a program, because they're gonna be sacked for the next three to five years.
Speaker 2: Here's here's my dear Chris, and I let it. I'll end up by saying this.
Speaker 1: I certainly wouldn't advocate for him being gone down because he's in the final four.
Speaker 2: He's in position.
Speaker 1: You win two more games, you're the national champion. Ain't nothing but respect for that. But I stand by the position that I took initially after you lost to.
Speaker 2: Michigan for the fourth straight time.
Speaker 1: If you had ended up losing that first game of the playoffs to Tennessee, well damn it.
Speaker 2: It's the Ohio State.
Speaker 1: If you can't handle the responsibility that come along with that, somebody else needs to.
Speaker 2: And it's just that simple.
Speaker 1: It's just that he has stepped up and he has handled it, especially blown out the number one team in the nation, Oregon. So I'm gonna give him his respect and his flowers. He deserves it now, But three weeks ago, I'll be damned if he deserved it.
Speaker 3: Brouk. We have to realize he is still a young coach man, like he is still growing as a coach, Like he is still getting better as a football coach. Like the landscape of college football last six years. Man, since he's been around, it's changed every other year. So there is being called professional development. And I do believe I would not take another coach over any coach than rehaving Ryan Day at Ohio State. I wouldn't take Start, I wouldn't take Kirby Smart and listen all these other coaches, Dabbo Davo went through this Ryan Day period before he got the national championship at Clinsion Kirby Smart. Remember, remember he couldn't win the big game at Georgia before he got a couple of championships. So this is a precursor for Ryan Day getting his reputation, getting the Buckeyes back on the national stage, winning their ninth national championship, the only time they're gonna be able to do it without defeating the team up north. And he has the program exactly where we want the program to be.
Speaker 1: Chris Carter always loved to talking to my man, and I look forward to talking to you next week after we watch some of these playoff games.
Speaker 2: Man, you take it easy, I'll.
Speaker 3: Holler at you, then a right appreciate you do.
Speaker 2: He's love, no doubt, m M.