Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, y'all. This is episode NT Laura about say Native Pod. Okay, I try lead that in there. It is episode Native Pod. Anyway, this is episode ninety five of Native lamp Pid or we give you our breakdown of all things politics and culture. It's a lot happening in the culture. It's a lot happening in politics. We are your hosts, Angela Rae, Tiffany Cross, and Andrew Gillip. What are we talking about today, y'all.
Speaker 3: It's so much going on, with everything going on. I do want to get into this Cardi B trial because I think she taught a masterclass and how to handle herself on the witness stand. So it's a lot of seriousness going on. But I think this is a worthy topic.
Speaker 4: A thousand percent agree over here. Love love, love Cardi B. For real, for real, for real, tiff Angela, I want to get into this conversation that we began last week actually and we've been talking about for a minute, and this is this assault by the Trump administration on American cities. Just want to preview what's coming up and how two very important mayors have two very important places have a disagreement about the.
Speaker 1: Approach absolutely, and I also want to talk about party and the mayors. And I'm actually surprised, y'all, but i really want to spend some time diving into what's going on with the Epstein files. I've been made privious some things that I think we should share with our audience about why this is actually very important. So I hope to lean into that. And if y'all have ideas about what we should be talking about every week, you should make sure that you rate, review, subscribe, and let us know. We take your videos, your questions, your comments. Y'all are part of our family, so definitely send that in. Let's get into it.
Speaker 5: Hello, Native Land Podcast. My name is Nicole Buchanan. I am a professor and a psychologist, and I focus on trauma and the ways that individuals and organizations can make changes so that all of us can thrive. I just watched your podcast about the Epstein Files, and I think there's an issue that nobody's really talking about that just might explain why out of all of Trump's scandals, this finally seems to be the thing that is breaking MAGA, and that is for many, child sexual abuse is deeply personal. Imagine a classroom of say twenty kids, we can expect that at least two of the girls and one of the boys will be sexually assaulted, molested, or raped by their eighteenth birthday, and usually by somebody that they know and trust. Over half of all adult women about a third of adult men will experience sexual violence in their lifetimes. So while most of us can't wrap our head around most of Trump's scandals, like accepting a luxury jet, the abuse of children is deeply personal. People know that feeling of wishing someone had saved them or had saved their loved ones, which means Trump's violation this time is deeply, deeply personal. So I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, and thank you for taking a moment to hear mine.
Speaker 4: It's very powerful.
Speaker 1: I'm so grateful for that question, doctor Buchanan. I think that she might have tapped into something. Love to hear you Law's responses and then we can jump right into this.
Speaker 3: I disagree with her, and just in transparency, when we before we do this show, the three of us as co hosts get on a call and talk about what we're going to talk about. And so when Angela said this, I was like, h I don't think so. I think this is, you know, an issue that we're being My thought is we're being led by the nose by the people who believe in the Pizzagate scandal. That's not to dismiss what's happening with Epstein, but I'm curious what evidence is there that there is a fracture in Trump's support because of this issue. Yes, people are complaining about it, Yes people are on the internet. But we've already known Trump is a liar and that has not scared his base away. We've already known he's inappropriate with women that did not scare his base away. We know that he's been inappropriate with children that did not scare his base away. We knew this in twenty fifteen and twenty sixteen when he would oversee the Miss Teen USA pageant. There was countless evidence then of him going into the dressing room, making inappropriate comments to the young girls, then touching them then. And I just think this is all, you know, a little bit of bullshit. You know, obviously the victims that I know, Angela, you were moved by some really compelling testimony that I definitely want to hear. But I think if his base were truly concerned about sexual assault, there have been countless times where they could have spoken up. For example, one of the largest shelters of migrant children in Texas, South Key Programs, was accused and found liable for enabling the sexual abuse of children and minors. This was a huge deal. They had worked with the federal government for more than two decades. They were housing underage migrants for the federal government, which was a financial boon for contractors. There was money into basically grabbing these children and keeping them in these shelters. It was one of several providers that cashed in. Is the administration found shelter for more than five thousand children forced into federal custody. Where I asked, were all was all this outrage from Trump supporters? Then it did not happen. Then I do not anticipate that it will happen now, unless, of course we're saying it only matters when white children are sexually abused. Furthermore, right now, these same people who are protesting Epstein, these same people have said nothing about out the more than thirty thousand children that are missing and lost in the system that are migrant children who and that makes them more susceptible to being trafficked right now the Trump administration. Just last month, a federal judge had to strike down because he was trying to send six hundred unaccompanied minors, some as young as ten years old, back to their home country of Guatemala, where there was no guarantee where they would be cared for. This was on the heels of him sending more children into the pipeline of being deported. And you know, this has been happening across both administrations from twenty eighteen to twenty twenty three. The Homeland Security Inspector General found we don't even know the exact amount, but found that there were tens of thousands of missing children. So obviously we don't disagree on the seriousness of sexual abuse. My only point is, if we cared about sexual abuse, this is something that we could have been talking about for years. If we cared about this administration being a liar and not caring about children for years, this is something So I've just not seen the evidence that his base is going to abandon him over Epstein. But I'm happy to be proven wrong. I hope I'm wrong on this subject. We'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead, Andrew. Yeah, I want to get into to hear from some of these voices.
Speaker 4: But go for it real quick one, doctor McKennon. I appreciate what you open our eyes to with the research, and frankly, the very brilliant way in which you delivered it. You can very much hotel you work with students. But Tiff, I don't know that I disagree with you about whether this is a permanent fracture in the Trump base and whether it will be consequential enough for them to stay home during the midterms or in any way defect in serious numbers from him. I think on that point I probably agree with you. But thinking back to the episode, I remember just saying I don't know how this thing is got such legs. I'm shocked that it's got the kind of traction that it has. And I think doctor Buchannan was probably in part responding to the fact that given just the rank numbers of this of how many men, you know, boys girls who are now women and and men have had sexual assault, you know, in their lives in a very real personal way, and we could probably between the three of us, imagine that a number of those and I don't know what the percentage is probably went unreported. Yeah, And so to now be at this moment where it's being thrust in your face in such an overt, no obvious way, you're aware of what what what Epstein did and who is riding partners, were you feel in some ways probably pretty you know, jaded, dejected, but more than anything, in a personally, very personally with these individuals, a real sense of betrayal and failure that maybe you thought you were going to be heard or stories like yours would be heard, And now all of a sudden again it's being swept under the rug.
Speaker 3: I want to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to that yes, to that point, there was an NBC News like almost like a focus group style conversation with Epstein's survivors and some of the victims family members. So I want us to first roll a clip from one of the victims brothers, Oh.
Speaker 6: Sorry, she shouldn't be here.
Speaker 4: I am so honored to be here with.
Speaker 1: You guys.
Speaker 4: She she would be here.
Speaker 7: She'd be screaming, you know, And I think you know they said it best. It's like if I could really say, what you know, what we're looking for out of this is justice, looking for accountability, and I think it's you know, we really have to start questioning what do we stand for?
Speaker 4: So you know, it means the world.
Speaker 7: To be here with you, all of you, and you know, I think this is only the beginning of what's really to come because showing a force like this, they have to listen now.
Speaker 1: And I want to also go to one of the survivors herself, who spoke to the impact of what happened to her under the care or the watch rather of Julie Epstein.
Speaker 8: Going through stuff like this, especially as an adult, it brings up a lot of mental health issues and I thought of hurting myself and not now, but you know, over the last six or so years, just going through all this, and it's hard. And I know that if I have those thoughts and Virginia has those thoughts and where victims, you know, how many more of us do we have to lose?
Speaker 1: Virginia, who was referenced here, took her own life after suffering under the weight of this for many many years. Wendy referenced six years but they have been dealing with this since they were fourteen years old. One of the things that you hear from a survivor who's going to play now is why they may need to take justice into their own hands. Show of hands.
Speaker 9: Did any of you hear from the Justice Department before they released that memo, that two page memo earlier this summer?
Speaker 1: No hands.
Speaker 9: Were any of you told that Todd Blanche would be speaking with Gillay Maxwell prior to that interview over the course of two days. No, No, were any of you told about the prison transfer that doing that. No where any of you. Do any of you feel that the DJ has communicated with you enough this year?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 9: Have any of you had any communication with the DJ. No, nobody in this room has heard at all from the Department of Justice.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 9: No, is that surprising to you?
Speaker 10: No, No, it should be. It should Yeah, it should be to think it's their job. This is the center of this whole entire case. They are the center. Why would you, Glenn Maxwell, Let's get this right before the narrative changes.
Speaker 11: And I believe that so strongly that that is the intent of her. She's trying to rewrite history. And it was almost like she was given that platform to do that, and that is not acceptable on any terms. She wasn't just this co conspirator and that was her boyfriend. She was actively participant. She prayed upon these young girls, and she used her womanhood to do it.
Speaker 10: Yes, Okay, Virginia said it.
Speaker 11: She was vicious, she was a monster. She doesn't deserve any type of platform.
Speaker 1: I wanted to play those clips because I think it is important one for me. I think that when you hear Epstein's name over and over and over again, you get to a point where you almost just harden your heart. To the point of the question we received from doctor Buchanan, there are a number of people that suffer in silence around child sexual abuse because they are shamed, They feel like they did something wrong. Many of the victims that I talked to, some in my own family, feel like it would just be easier to pretend like it disappears, something that also comes up in that segment. But one place where they may be able to get justice is in the halls of Congress because they are not taking no for an answer. They are pushing. And we saw some of this after a briefing that was held earlier this week.
Speaker 3: But I want to be clear.
Speaker 12: What we heard today is a cover up, and it is a cover up of epic proportions, A cover up involving the United States Government, the justice system, rich and powerful individuals, a cover up potentially involving foreign countries and foreign actors. And yes, here today in this House, as our colleagues are up in the House Chamber and the Rules Committee, a cover up by the Republicans in this chamber, because as you will find out in the coming days and weeks, this goes all the way to the top. So let's be clear about that. There has been a systemic failure of the justice system for decades, a systemic failure to hold people who are powerful and have money to account, and that has allowed not just hundreds, but potentially thousands of women not only in the United States but around the world to be bought, sold, and trafficked for sex, not only by Jeffrey Epstein, but by his associates and his rich and powerful friends. And as these stories come forward, whether there are stories that have already been told, their stories in those FBI files that have not been released by the Department of Justice, in which they must release because of the subpoena or whether they are stories of victims that have not yet come forward, we will hold you all accountable.
Speaker 1: And I think the other thing that's interesting here, y'all tip I know you getting up and sitting down. You guess they said for two more clips. There is one that I think that we should witness from another person on another side of the aisle. This is one that surprised me a little bit. So if we can play Nancy Mace. So Nancy Mace, you see her walking down the hallway. She's actually in tears, and she responds to this clip, and she says on Twitter yesterday or earlier this week, since it's already being reported. Yes, I left the oversight briefing with Epstein victims early as a recent survivor, not two years in. I had a very difficult time listening to their stories full blown panic attack, sweating, hyperventilating, shaking, I can't breathe. And I definitely think we should hear from another member of Congress who's a dear sister to this show on what she thinks looks like the next steps must be today's roundtable.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 13: It was necessary, it was long overdue, and it was very powerful, and it is why I continue to call for a congressional hearing, because their stories need to be a part of a congressional record, and the entire public needs to understand just how systemic and how far, how far and wide, and how deep this institutional betrayal goes.
Speaker 1: For people that would wonder how high are the stakes here?
Speaker 13: This is a matter of life and death because Virginia Jeffrey took her life after decades of failure, and they are victims that can no longer come up, come forward because they're in a fetal position, so broken by the way of what they've been carrying, shame that they've been caring when it is not their shame to carry. So Virginia Jeffrey took her life because of the institutional consecutive failures and betrayals of our government. So this is a matter of life.
Speaker 1: And death, a matter of life and death. So I just wanted you all to sit with that, to see it. I agree with Tiff that I don't know that it is a significant fracture in the magabase. But what I do know is that there are people at home on both sides of the aisle and everywhere in between who have either been a party to sexual assault, have experienced what it's like to be violated and to have to hold that as if it is your own baggage to hold. And I just think that this is one of those moments that can if they are able to properly break through, if they are able to have these folks dj respond to the subpoena the way that they should when Congress issues a subpoena, that maybe they may get a little bit of justice. These folks were pleading for justice on NBC News as we saw, and I think that the only way that they were able to get any type of just recourse is by having advocates like the ones we saw in Congress fighting to ensure that maybe they don't get their day in court, but at least they get their day in the halls of Congress with the hearing.
Speaker 3: Well, just for contexts earlier here, Nancy Mace took to the house floor and accused her ex fiance and ex boyfriends, and she detailed her experience with sexual assault and sexual abuse. So I anticipated that this would be a painful exchange for her, and I do not dismiss her experience at all, but realistically Nancy Mace is a Trump Siica fan and votes with him more than ninety percent of the time. Again, I don't know that this would highlight need sort of fracture Trump's DJA, we already know cannot be trusted. Pam Bondi told Donald Trump that his name was in the Epstein files multiple times. Donald Trump just decided I don't like that story, So I'm just gonna say that conversation never happened. But that's according to reporting from the Wall Street Journal. He lies routinely, and so again, I think my heart goes out to any victims of sexual abuse, but I just knowe how so often we will skip past thirty two thousand missing children or actual documented sexual abuse of children from Southwest Key programs. And again, this is well documented. It was reported in the New York Times several times, and I think there is this undercurrent of one This was so salacious because Republicans thought the Clintons were attached to this, and this is how this became a big deal, and then it resurfaced because the Echo Chambers folks is solely on Epstein. When three hundred thousand plus black women lost their jobs, it was not a breaking news banner for weeks at a time, as people are being kidnapped off the street, the context is presented as both sides. As the unemployment rate disproportionately impacts black men as well, that's not a breaking news banner. As our food systems, our democratic core principles are are eroding, that's not the breaking news banner. So the media has really spoon fed the Epstein case, and I just feel like it deserves equals. If we're going to talk about it, then let's talk about the role of separating families and how that fed children into being trafficked. Let's care about all the kids who are going through sexual abuse. And I just haven't seen that, and I certainly haven't seen any evidence that the Epstein thing is going to be the thing to bring down MAGA. So I don't mean to be dismissive, but I do hear myself, and I do feel like a cynic in this case. I definitely have all the empathy, and I think justice should be pursued on behalf of the victims, for sure, no doubt about that. But I just look at the hypocrisy across the landscape, and I think a false hope that people think oh, this is it, this is going to be the thing, and I just I don't think it will. I don't. And I also don't think a lot of these people care about Latino children who are being sexually abused as we speak. Take to the streets for that protest that Congresswoman Nancy Mays, who voted for Trump in this policy, shed some tears for that, and then I think that would be a more authentic conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Andrew, I know you have something to say. I just want to say, for the record, for the folks listening at home, we definitely don't con condone any sexually sexual assault or sexual violence, and for all survivors of these traumatic experiences, our hearts go out to you. I am grateful that on this show we can talk about the folks who are being separated from their families and all of that, but in this particular container, which is an Epstein Files container, that we can also urge for Congress to do its work, to not go on recess early, to avoid doing its work, and when you return the fact that there are members like Aana Presley, like Melanie Stansbury, and even in this case, yes, Nancy Mace, who are not going to let it fall by the wayside. I think it is very, very important that we're able to separate those things. We got a couple of other issues to get to today that are different. It's not oppression Olympics. We have to make sure that we hold space for all of these things, because everyone is going through it in some real ways. And yes, these young women who were suffering at the hands of this a few were on that stage, but there are hundreds of these women. They deserve to be heard and they deserve justice as well. Andrea, mean to jump in.
Speaker 4: Before you after all you said, I would just say, and it's okay to prioritize those traumatic experiences in your lives when it comes to making political decisions as well. I think a lot of times, because of the weight of the shame that you carry, you push so much of this stuff down. I mean, I think about, you know, when I was ready to admit complicity to everything under the sun just to avoid feeling like I was ever a victim of something. And so you convince yourself that you don't want to be in a helpless place, and sometimes that convincing can take so much of a toll that that folks have you know, results resorted to to take in their lives. I think, hopefully if this is a moment, maybe it is a moment to get some real change along the lines of this issue and breakthrough this not you know this, this completely partisan, you know maga, you know craziness, to get some real stuff done. If if that's where it leads to, then I think that would be a form of redemption, a form of accountability for those who are survivors. But if it continues to be played like a political football, then I fear that the only thing that's at the end of that tunnel is more hurt, more pain, more excuses, and frankly, more very powerful men and powerful people being able to have their way any kind of way with anybody, anytime, anywhere, and be able to avoid accountability for it.
Speaker 1: So with that, we know that absolutely, yeah, absolutely, And with that, speaking of what's happening right now, we also know that there is a lot happening where Tip resides in the District of Columbia. We're going to get into what is happening with this DC takeover and Mario Bowser's one eighty from last week. I want to get into what Mariel Bowser had to say say about Trump's occupation just last week. Our north star.
Speaker 14: Is protecting home rule in the district's autonomy in all things, especially during this last eight months where it has been clear that our autonomy has kind of been in the crosshairs.
Speaker 3: That's our north star.
Speaker 14: Since the beginning of this federal surge of officers, it has always been my focus on We didn't ask for any federal officers. We're driving crime down, but while they're here, how can we most strategically use them to accelerate the work that MPD has done. So that's our point. The next point is how do we exit from this emergency that the President declared. We know what the law says. He can declare it for just about anything. It runs thirty days unless on the Congress stops it. I thought I made it very clear. What has not worked during this period of time is ice terrorizing communities, especially with masks, and especially not having enough information about where people are.
Speaker 3: I've said that repeatedly.
Speaker 14: I'll say it again. What hasn't worked, in my opinion, hasn't been efficient and it's not on mission. It's National Guard troops, especially from other states.
Speaker 1: So imagine our surprise when this again, this was last week. But imagine our surprise when on September second, there was an order created the creation of the Safe and Beautiful Emergency Operations Center. This is guidance from the Office of the Mayor. The Mayor's order is two zero twenty five or twenty twenty five dash zero nine zero, and she in this statement or in this order says, in section two, there is established the Safe and Beautiful Emergency Operations Center, whereby they will be coordinating with United States Commercial Service, the FBI, the United States Park Police, the DEEA, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the United States Capitol Police, and the Secret Service. And let me tell you, when you always know you found yourself on the wrong side of the truth. When Caroline Levitt tweets and says the Trump administration is I'm getting there. The Trump administration is grateful to continue partnering with Mayor Bowser to make DC the safest city in the country. The mayor's fellow Democrats should take note. Working with President Trump means safer communities and less crime. No one in their right mind could seriously oppose that, and yet Caroline, no one in their right mind could agree with you. Friend. So now I want to turn to and young activist who was recently detained under this craziness. Yes, her name is a Feenie. She's involved with Free DC and she had this to say about MARYO. Bowser's pivot.
Speaker 15: This occupation has emboldened an already over zealous police presence to increase their brutality and their subjugation against district residents. And no matter what the mayor says, the city of DC is not grateful for the influx of the illegal stops and purchase. The city of DC is not grateful, not thankful for the militarization of an unaccountable police force or are performer patrols by Trump.
Speaker 1: And his administration. So I just think it's so important in this moment for us to understand what it looks like to be on the right side of history and on the wrong side of history. Right now, sadly, I believe the black woman mayor of Washington, DC is on the wrong side of history. And I don't know who she thinks, what she thinks she's doing with the strategy is here. We talk often about no permanent friends no permanent enemies, just permanent interests. Maybe she thinks this is a permanent interest things, but if she talks to her residents, I don't think that a lot of people see this in their interests. I love to hear what y'all think.
Speaker 3: I have a question.
Speaker 4: I can't think him.
Speaker 3: I will probably you may be about to answer it. But because you were a mayor, I mean, DC is a little different because it's the home of the federal government and we don't have the autonomy that Dallahassee did. But I'm just curious, because you were a mayor, do you think that she handled this correctly? And if you were the mayor of Washington, d C. How might you have handled this?
Speaker 4: I appreciate that the question there are some differences. Although we are both capital cities. Tallahassee, Florida is home to the center seat of government for the state of Florida, and at least for all of my adulthood, my apoloitic have been opposite of that of the of the government and charge here in Florida. Yet, and still I don't know how. I keep thinking, y'all. You know me, I'm going to try to look at the glass half full. If I possibly can on her behalf, which is to say, maybe she's doing some jiu jitsu right, like taking the energy that he's putting towards her and like reversing that thing and playing with his head in some way, and that behind the scenes there is some masterful plan going on where she is being able to meet with members of Congress who have say so over her district, the District of Columbia, and is pocketing a hell of a lot of cash to then be reinvested in the city the District of Columbia and the types of programs that really do go toward reducing crime over the long haul. What what we learned from from from the Mayor of Chicago when he was giving national interviews and still is of course, is that he's I don't just throw money at me, throw the right kind of money, throw the right kind of resources, don't pull numbers out of the air. Let's deal with the facts that we have and then the data that then suggests that if we put the money here, it'll take us a lot further. The Mayor of DC has me very much flamoxed and confused. I don't know how as a sitting mayor one. You take it as a helpmate when the federal government essentially comes in and saying says, you're doing a terrible job. In fact, it's so terrible that we have to access and tap into a very little known and little used law to come in and do the job that you have failed to do. I believe Mayor Bowser is what a three term mayor maybe certainly two terms, maybe on a fourth, I'm not real sure. But all I'm saying is is with that much tenure under your belt, municipal government, with the responsibility of seeing to the safety of your citizens, I take it as a real insult. Okay, fine, Now I'm over ego, and I'm dealing with the fact that any surge that they could possibly produce for you is one that is not going that you can hold, is not one that you can hold over the long term. And so what happens is is after thirty days and maybe another thirty day extension and maybe a few more after that, the problem then comes back to you and what do you think you're gonna get Because the material conditions on the ground of homelessness and poverty and mental health and people working a job that they can get paid to keep a roof over their head and food on the table close on their backs. Those things are still lacking. And on top of that, you got three hundred plus black women out of work, a lot of them based in Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: One hundred thousand, three hundred.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I hope I said three hundred thousand, and if I didn't, three hundred thousand plus and the number is growing. So the conditions, again, material conditions on the ground are going to be abhorrent, and then it will appear again that you are incapable of doing your job. And what makes me really frustrated about the way on which this is now being handled by the mayor is that it gives them the wrong message and it sends the wrong policy prescript to these folks that you can just boost us for a couple of months with a bunch of military and so we look like a police state, drive our numbers down, and then that's going to be considered success, when in truth, on the other side of that is those numbers are going up, and I guarantee you they will be much higher than they were before the government ever entered the federal government ever entered that territory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so I have more questions than I do thoughts here, Andrew. Again, what you just laid out, Donald Trump is already saying, and we've been telling our viewers this is coming soon to a city near you. So this was ground zero. How our leaders responded can cast a wide netive influence across the country. And again, I do just want to punctuate that DC is in a unique position because it is essentially controlled by Congress. I wonder what piece of advice, Andrew, that you would give to the mayor of Chicago, Brandon Johnson, the mayor of Baltimore, Brandon Scott, the mayor of Oakland, former Congressman Barbara Lee. So that's my first question for you, And then my question for Angela, because of your years of experience on Capitol Hill, what if anything, can and should the Democratic leadership be doing to protect these predominantly on black cities, specifically Washington, d C. Since they live here as well.
Speaker 4: So however, y'all want to appreciate it, Teff, and I'll go real quick Angela and pass it under you. And that is one I understand the uniqueness of the position of Washington, d C. The District of Columbia, which should be a state. Understand that you've got to work with Republicans or whoever is in charge. However, if you scared, say you scared, and if you scared, you should not be the mayor of Washington, d C. There are plenty of people who we have to work collaboratively and across the aisle. But when that becomes the outright lack of representation for the people who are feeling terrorized, the ones that elect you directly to represent them, then that that's where the rub is for me, that there ain't anybody out there that I have to work with so much so that I then take the priorities of those individuals or that institution over the priorities of the people who elected me duly to service their representative voice, their protector, their keeper, their father of the city or mother of the city for the time in which.
Speaker 16: You have it.
Speaker 4: That's where it is for me. It starts and ends right there. You're in service to them, not the other way around. And then as mayors, I would say one, I think the mayor of Chicago has been doing an incredible job and trying to forecast getting out there before Trump and his people ever are able to He's they've they've been basically laying out, Look, this is what they're gonna do. Let me tell you why it is that they're coming here, And let me tell you what instructions I'm giving to law enforcement around non cooperation under such circumstances. These are going to be resources available to you, so on and so forth. I would say Mayor Karen Bass, who really was at the tip of this spear, also had to act in really real time. And what did they do. They they they activated neighborhood networks to keep communities safe, alarm systems that were intended to inform as many people as you can. Look, they're here, they're on this block, avoid it, do this, do that. And by the way, they did just win the court battle that that the president overstepped his boundaries and sending military troops there and the way in which he did. And I think that that's the same ruling that will be held when he goes to Chicago. Should that should should that to that instance occur. But I think they are doing well. I would just say, know the law and know what your limitations as well as your where you where your opportunities may exist to one keep your people protected, but two to put the government back on his heels. Because I guarantee you the way in which the mayor and the governor of Illinois and Chicago and the county executive have been handling this, I believe you. I believe that they have probably changed the government's plans probably multiple times since their announcement that they were going into Chicago, around the timing, the place, the choosing of when they would do so.
Speaker 1: I appreciate what you're saying, Andrew and Tif. I also thank you for the question. I think that what I would say, given the fact that I had the great opportunity to work for the conscience of the Congress that's what we call the Congressional Black Caucus, is that they've always been very clear about their line in the sand. Sometimes it takes negotiation to get on the same page. But we are in a moment where you cannot cooperate with fascism. You have to know in your mind what fascism looks like, be clear about defining it, and then saying here's what my response to fascism will be, here's my alternative to what fascism is. You cannot say, well, I guess I gotta be quiet because we show want this stadium moved here. Well, well, I guess I gotta be quiet because we show got this budget to pass. The budget is not going to serve your constituents or your residence in DC if they are locked up because they decided that somebody didn't pay their metro fare, or they decided that somebody was standing around too long loitering, or they decided that because you are black with locks, you are inherently violent and criminal. And so there has to be a very very clear line in the sand. And I just don't see that. And I'm actually really really sad because I was looking forward to someone who calls herself the mentee of Mary and Barry to stand up the way we would expect Mary and Barry to stand up. I guarantee you that this is not Marion Barry's response. I guarantee you that he would find courage where it's hard. I guarantee you that he would not sink into cowardice. And I'm so sad to say, I am devastated to say that that is what Mario Bowser is doing. Now she can go on air and say, y'all don't really understand what this executive order does. Y'all aren't clear about what I'm saying here. You know, I have to comply with this man because technically they oversee me. But I will tell you this sure. Even in slavery, there was a tactic to comply with an overseer, but there was always a red line in the sand. And she better find hers quick because right now we are on sinking sand and Tiff the way that you shed tears last week on the podcast, there are so many people who are experiencing that same heartache, that same trauma, that same confusion about where we go from here, And if Mariel Bowser is not going to protect the people of DC, she is making it so much harder for all of those other mayors. I am over the excuse about jurisdiction. This is not a jurisdictional fight. This is a fight for the soul of this country and is a fight against fascism. And if she don't know what time it is, looks like so.
Speaker 3: That's part of my challenge here, because one to bear witness to unmarked cars with men out of uniform rolling out the car and watching people scatter like this has taking place behind my building, around my building, to see like there are areas, you know, I may have talked about this, I can't remember, but it's like old people just hanging out on the corner, you know, in the public housing area that's right next to my building, and people will just sit out there all day long, like in their sixties, this longtime residence of DC, who lived in this area, long before it was cool to live here, Okay, long before it became the hot spot, long before it became a hot spot for gentrifiers. There's like a little old dude in a wheelchair with a cute little pitfull who sells Lucy's, you know, and all those people are gone. It's disrupting community. And to bear witness to that happening in real time, where you see people getting snatched, where you see people like it's just changing the culture of DC is really heartbreaking. And I wonder for the mayor of where her moral code is, because this is the question that I have for anybody who is confronting situations like this one. We have no evidence of capitulating to Donald Trump gaining you anything. It does not gain you, right, So even her doing this, even her making these remarks, this doesn't mean that next week kills us decide I want to take over DC. We're removing the mayor. You know, all these rules and processes are pixie deaths. So we're done with her. So a pardon me feels like has she gone in that microphone and told Donald Trump he could kiss her natural black ass and this is what we're gonna do in DC. The end rest result may have been the same. So if the end result is typically going to be the same as it normally is with Donald Trump, then why not be a revolution? Why not stand up and say no, I will hold the line. You may take my position of power, but you will not take my power as a black woman in this moment. So it's disappointing, and I hope people seeing this because one of the remarks that the young lady made was congratulations, Mayor Bouser. You're a fascist too. So for me, I would rather sacrifice my career on the altar of righteous indignation around what's happening before I would cling to it in favor of appeasing this white supremacist who is enacting policies that we as black people know all too well from enslavement from slave catchers, from post reconstruction, from Jim Crow from the eighties and nineties, to mandatory minimums, in all the ways that we've always been in sneel in systems like this. So it's disappointing and I am fighting the depression that comes from that, from seeing people lay down and roll over. I don't have that. I don't have that spirit in me. I don't think I ever will. But it's sad.
Speaker 4: You were made of things, yeah.
Speaker 3: And I am so pleased to be with two people who don't have that spirit either.
Speaker 4: But you know what to I was just gonna say, it's also because because you know, you don't always have to be made of sterner things, Sometimes that sterner things just flow through you because somebody has done it before you. Yeah, right, I remember just thinking in so many instances, like you know what, others have survived this, Others have pushed through this, others have come to the other side, and now I can see a little bit more than maybe what they could at the time. But with everything you said, I want to dittle it and just also at at the end where you were going, which is this is the last thing the people of DC need at this moment is to feel like they are being left again to Trump and his minion's own devices, with no protection at their back, yeh, at their front, at their side. They're looking and they can't find it in their government. And that's a goddamn shame for a place that voted overwhelmingly for Joe Biden, and better than that, for a community of people who get there, who get stepped on every single day as the community. And now they want to add one more name to the list of enemies of who they are there, who they are, where they come from, where they live, the place that they love, and that's the mayor of that city. And that's a damn shame.
Speaker 3: I I'm sorry, I'll be really clear. Yeah some you know, y'all know I'm staying in the comments. So I look at the comments on YouTube especially, and sometimes I have to go back and think, like, well, what do they say? And a lot of people were saying, oh, you know, Andrew, you were preaching today, and Andrew. We love you, and Andrew, we still need you in Florida. Andrew, please run again. You know you are. Please get that. And when I sit here and look at this and I'm just looking at y'all on my screen sadly because we're not in person. We all here doing this podcast like it's COVID. But I'm sitting here looking at y'all.
Speaker 1: Way, our bank account is.
Speaker 3: Got COVID.
Speaker 1: But I think I.
Speaker 3: Know like they when you were running after the Santa's, the stupid or whatever seized control of Florida, Like at every single point, they were throwing everything at you, and never once, never once did you say, Okay, I'm gonna come out and make a statement that the Santa's is the best person ever. I'm gonna come out and indoors trump you were. It may have been hard for you, but you held your ground. You were like, I'm gonna fight because you too would rather fight to the death before you laid down and let these people destroy you. And as a result, the people of Florida are still ten toes down. All of every comment all and I read them, every comment all the time is in staunch support of something you said, something you did, like the people believe you, and that kind of trust means something to you. If you were to ever coupitulate, you would lose that and I think all of us have that you couldn't pay me if somebody said, oh, did y'all see Angela Rye, She she is maden. Now, you couldn't pay me to believe it. I'm like, that's a ain't right. So when I'm in the trenches with people like y'all, it makes me look at people who ain't got that kind of grit sideways.
Speaker 5: That's real.
Speaker 3: Hello, because I'm pregnant and there's thief about to beat my ass. If you have been under a rock, then you don't know what I'm talking about. But if you've been glusing the screens like the rest of us, we're getting into that on the other side of this break. Stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna tell y'all in the land of the upside down and sadly, I'm gonna confess this now and backwards shirts, there are some people who are standing ten toes down Tiff and twelve of them unanimously the ten toes down. In the Cardi b trial this week, she was accused of assault and battery uh and of allegedly scratching a security guard in the face and spitting on her, and the jury reached this verdict.
Speaker 13: They go through.
Speaker 5: Each one each of the jerks unanimous.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, so Cardi b there can breathe a sigh of relief, complete and total victory. The jury finding unanimously. They didn't have to find it unanimously. Only nine out of twelve needed in a civil trial on all four counts, the assault count, the extreme emotional distress count, negligence, and also on the issue of punitive damages finding favor of Cardi Bige.
Speaker 1: And I also think it's important for people to hear just a little bit of the testimony from the alleged victim.
Speaker 4: When you were at the building and.
Speaker 2: Party B exited to elevate on February twenty.
Speaker 5: Four, eighteen.
Speaker 13: What these What were the words that she used that were so hurtful.
Speaker 16: She used a lot of words, and again, excuse my language, but she was like, bitch, that's why I'm gonna beat your I'm gonna get you fired.
Speaker 1: That's why you do security.
Speaker 16: Aha, that's why you do security.
Speaker 10: Ah.
Speaker 16: She was sticking her tongue out, she was flailing her arms up and down, she was jumping up and down, body shaming me. I mean, racial slurs.
Speaker 10: Just a lot.
Speaker 1: So that is the testimony from the alleged victim she sounds very triggered. Let's listen to Cardi B's highlight reel from this trout.
Speaker 2: Do you prefer calling you miss Almonds?
Speaker 5: Ar Cardi B?
Speaker 10: Or it doesn't that mean?
Speaker 13: Did you can call you mc cardy.
Speaker 12: I was a little like, I don't want a guy that I work with to know I'm going to a vagina doctor.
Speaker 3: You're following me, you're recording me. I'm just trying to check my cat.
Speaker 15: Are we having a verbal altercation?
Speaker 3: We haven't.
Speaker 14: We'll say a debate.
Speaker 4: Which one is your real?
Speaker 16: Here?
Speaker 5: Are they both?
Speaker 10: Really?
Speaker 12: They're wigs?
Speaker 15: Because I'm pregnant and this girl's about to beat my ass?
Speaker 17: Hello?
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello, I'm here.
Speaker 3: I was looking at her face, but I wasn't looking like.
Speaker 10: She like bimple thing she loved?
Speaker 13: Who was that?
Speaker 3: I said, that's like out of here, just trying to get some money?
Speaker 5: Who who's trying to get some money?
Speaker 16: She is?
Speaker 10: How do you know that?
Speaker 5: Because she sawing me for twenty five million, twenty four million dollars?
Speaker 4: You said she's bigger than you, exact right?
Speaker 12: I absolutely how do you know that? I mean, look, I mean you you have a you have a medical record.
Speaker 16: I don't have anything. I don't answer either question.
Speaker 5: I mean I was a hundred and thirty pounds at that.
Speaker 10: Time, So she's overweight, right in your opinion objection?
Speaker 4: You know my thin small, you don't be fancy, Okay.
Speaker 1: So Cardi being.
Speaker 3: Una her say if we can Nick keeping part where she says she's security heavy.
Speaker 17: Because I think they could before that part is a highlight where she says that if I can find it, I'll send it to you Nick, because security heavy is the best thing ever.
Speaker 3: She's like, she's security heavy building.
Speaker 4: I love Cardi b Man. I loved her since she did that damn video about health care yes and then taking health care away and she's just trying to go and get her checked.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: I didn't say the said.
Speaker 1: Ok she said, that's not.
Speaker 3: You're talking about. She said the words, I just want to go get health care video. Yeah, about to try shut down.
Speaker 4: She kept it the realest saying she was like, we can't even go get doctor. We're just trying to go get up and checked. I was like this this woman, please put her on because she's she's like people be trying her. She's like heavyweight smart.
Speaker 3: I was watching she is clever, thinking like, why is Cardi b rapping? Like you we need this level of because she was very strategic, like they were. First of all, if the if the the lawyer for the plaintiffs, if he's a lawyer, then I'm a lawyer. Because this was one I didn't watch enough. So the Law and Order SBU you to know your questions are terrible, sir. And he what he was trying to do was pigeonhole her and try to say she's not black. So he's like, what is your background? You African American? And she was like Afro Caribbean. But she was ten steps ahead of him at every time. She was so smart, so strategic, and he did not appear to have preppt his witness because she her testimony was not consistent.
Speaker 4: She had said that she could do well.
Speaker 3: She said something different in the immediate on camera interview than what she was saying on the stand. They were planning this for her. You could tell that she was just like kind of making up things and this idea that you had to get plastic surgery because her nail scratched to you. Now, unfortunately, this week when they announced the verdict, card and a reporter asked Cardi B about fraternity issue. She threw a pin at him. So I do want our sister Cardi B to just be conscious and not put herself in those positions. But the reporter was like, I love her, I would never see her. But I just I'm a fan of Cardi B. I think I'm gonna get her her album and either drama. This could not have been better publicity and shout out to tubby Sean Holliday, who was standing right by her side after the trial. Sean Holliday is a longtime music executive and Wheeler High School. He went to wheel We went to high school together in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: So shout them out, aliens.
Speaker 3: Yea answer, what is you?
Speaker 1: I mean, you're a lawyer?
Speaker 3: What did what did you think of all of it?
Speaker 1: So I didn't watch the whole trial. I watched clips on social media. I felt like they were going to have a really hard time proving the case, in part because I agree with you the questions coming from the plaintiffs attorney were I don't know if he was trying to think he was dumbing down to talk to Cardi B. But it was not smart and she got him. I think that she got him in lots of ways, and she knew when not to answer the questions. She would pause and wait. I think very calculated. And I also think this case is nonsense when you get to the closing argument, and your closing argument is about what just happened outside with the reporter, and you're and you also are saying, well, at least, if y'all not gonna give all the millions, at least give a seventeen thousand dollars for a face. And if you're not gonna do that, at least give up ten more. I mean, it was ridiculous. What it was really bad? It was. It was not well thought out or very strategic. And I think that a lot of people, particularly just so you all know, from a venue standpoint, this was taking place in l A. So jurors in l A. People in l A are very used to the shakedown civil suits, and I think that people saw this for exactly what it was.
Speaker 4: So had the jury. Yes, from like jump, she had the jury. I mean the people. It was very clear she was endearing that you could like her, and in fact, if we were ever engineering, I would ask her like, how do you keep the authenticity? I just feel like whatever when she says it, and she says a thing she like, means a thing fully and if she tempers around it, come.
Speaker 1: On on the weekend we can ask Leonard. Leonard and Cardi B are very cool.
Speaker 3: So Cardi B on the podcast. I would love to hear from her.
Speaker 4: Lol.
Speaker 3: Can you reach out Z? Can you book Gardy for next week on this podcast?
Speaker 1: Well, and speaking of calls to action, I think we could definitely jump into.
Speaker 4: Ours Cardi Carti Cardy.
Speaker 1: All right, so let's go ahead and jump into our calls action, which y'all got this week.
Speaker 3: Well, my first one is to Cardi B. And we would love to have you come on the podcast. You don't even have to talk about the trial if you don't one, I'd be interested in her thoughts and just what is happening in the world in general.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, I would love to hear from her on that I'm sneaking and getting too. That was my first call to action on my sal.
Speaker 4: I'll take your first one, okay.
Speaker 3: My second call to action is be aware and be vigilant, Like I really do think we have to brace ourselves for what's coming. I think I may upset in one of our group chats Angela debt. I thought this was like a show of force that was gonna go away, and it very much. It seems like it's the beginning of something. And just every day I see something new that's like, wow, I can't believe this is what we're experiencing right now. As black folks, we've been through a lot. I did not imagine we would be going back this far in our civil rights being rolled away in just you know, the acceptance that the Constitution, our laws, our rules, our social norms and more rays they are all literally just pixied us that can just go away. So I invite people to brace yourselves, to be vigilant. Take it seriously. I've had friends like, oh, they're not going to bother my son. He goes to Gonzaga, he's in private school. And it's like, I can guarantee you they're not gonna look at your son and say, oh that's Sarah and john Son. He's okay, Like it doesn't matter. You're you're in danger, your kids are in danger. So America is in danger, girl, So be vigilant.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Thanks car b Okay, So I don't know I got that and us CARDI B you got it, Okay, Lenard, get on it. I think mine is. You know, in this moment where we are drinking from a fire hose, is Tiff just noted our civil rights have been rolled back. I think we expected some of that, but certainly not at this pace. It's a neck breaking pace. As someone who is battling high blood pressure and has not taken the time to work out, I encourage you all to prioritize, even if it's just an hour a day, be accountable with me, holp me accountable to it, to take care of yourself. And I think the other thing that's really important. I think I've been spending a lot of time being reflective of how precious life is. Our good sister friend Carrie Champion recently lost her grandmother and shared with us and on her podcast Naked with Carrie Champion, I hope you all will tune into that as well. On iHeart, she talked about how much her grandmother meant to her. The fact that she's in sports now is because of her grandmother, who played basketball and has argued that she made up the three point of herself. But as we as we mourn the loss of loved ones, whether it is recent or it is further away. I think it's take the time to feel your feelings for grief, whether it comes in the form of mourning the loss of someone dear to you, or you're mourning the loss of a country you once thought you knew, whatever it is, take the time to feel your feelings. Ride the wave because you cannot control that wave. That is one thing that you have to surrender to. And if you need support, definitely see a therapist. And finally, please remember everybody to check your tags and not put your clothes on backwards. I just don't know what happened this morning. It's scratching my chest. I was like, you know what, and I said I. I was like, it's sitting up kind of high. I don't know. Don't put your clotheswards. We got enough backwards forward.
Speaker 4: Opposite.
Speaker 1: I did not mean to be criss cross today, but jump jump, bring back.
Speaker 3: Everything is retro. What you said workout for an hour a day? May I ask what are you doing or what are you planning to do for your one hour workout?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So I used to love getting on my peloton. I think I'm gonna get back on the peloton, especially because it felt like church on the bike. I really missed my Angela Manuel Davis's classes. I went to church on the bike is a good thing, Yes, I would. Yeah, So peloton is not like Angela Manuel Davis, but yes to if you are right, it's so different, But I would do that again. And I'm thinking about variety and workouts. I need to not feel like I'm in monotony for me to be excited about it. I definitely need to do more yoga because I know my breath work. I need to work on my breath work. So yeah, those are the things that I'm thinking of right now, and I'm gonna start with twenty minutes. I'm gonna try to get on that peloton today because right now, sister girl is putting on these pounds like drop it in whatever whatever it is years And this is the other thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, it matters how you feel about yourself. So I definitely honor what you're saying. But Angela is so tiny, and I feel like you're comparing yourself to like ten years ago. I'm like you.
Speaker 1: People, I'm comparing myself to the clothes I can't fit.
Speaker 3: Okay, I nobody's gonna sae be like she's overweight, like she is so so tiny. But I do hear you, and it's about health, you know, not just wait, so we should all take.
Speaker 1: Care about business.
Speaker 3: But you you definitely even pick.
Speaker 1: My blood pressure, you like, argue with my blood pressure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, blood pressure or definitely healthy.
Speaker 1: Argue with my blood pressure on my clothes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I've been getting all thy labs. Also. This is my last thing on health today because I didn't mean to do a whole health mini pot and I know we over but I will say this too. I used it. I'm not gonna say the name of the service until they sponsored the podcast, but I use this service. I'll tell y'all offline that is very very thorough. You can get all your labs done, like blood work for each organ, and then they give you clinical notes about each of these areas, very very thorough. And what I love about it now is there's also a cancer screening where I've been told because cancer runs in my family, my mom, of course, I'm dealing with it now, like check. So I'm getting my mammogram next week, a Colonosco by the week after that, and I'm getting all these labs. They're costly, but it is so much cheaper than your hospital bill if you have to fight cancer. So I'm here for y'all. I'm trying to get better.
Speaker 3: I love that we all need to yes, And if you like what you heard today, share with a friends please so we could be in the person so account can get off COVID.
Speaker 6: That is so true.
Speaker 1: So as always, we want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native Lampard. We're available on all podcast platforms and YouTube. If you're looking for more shows like ours, check out the other shows on our recent choice media networks, Politics with Jamel Hill, Off the Cup with Si Cupp, and our newest edition, Now You Know with thirteen year old Noah de Barrasso. Be sure to give those a follow, and don't forget to follow us too on social media. Also fan based little teaser for something that's coming up, and subscribe to our text or email list on Native landpod dot com. We are your hosts. I'm Angela Ride, There's Tiffany Cross, and that's Andrew Gillim. Welcome home, y'all. There are four hundred and twenty five days until midterm election before we go.
Speaker 3: Can I ask what are we talking about? On the Mini Pod.
Speaker 1: Yes, what are we talking about? Andrew? Would you like to tell the audience we're talking about on the Mini Pod today?
Speaker 4: I don't know what we're talking about which I want to talk about.
Speaker 3: I think we are talking about social media. I thought we had Isaac Kayes, who was gonna come.
Speaker 4: On, well, I'm gonna have to be learning a lot.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I think it's more than media. I want, like, I know, I want to talk about like platforms. A lot of people off Twitter, and I remember Angela making the point like, okay, but if you're getting off Twitter but you're still on Facebook, like basically all these tech roles are problematic. So anyway, I want to I want to get into that. Oh, and Lolo has popped into something.
Speaker 1: I guess we're gonna we're gonna wrap Lo something. She back off. It was like she was like, I'm just making sure y'all know I'm here.
Speaker 3: Hey bo, hell I look you today. So I just want to say, was that anyway? I interrupted our closing because I wanted to know what we're talking about on the Minion pots on my bad.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, we are going to be talking with Isaac Cayes and to Misha Harris I believe it's her name, who is a producer and they recently had a conversation on the importance of us utilizing our own black owned platforms, and as you all know, we recently had a conversation about how we should engage from a listener question that challenge. So we are going to definitely get into that and so much more on our mini pod. You can also check out our solo pods and I will tell y'all. Native lamppod is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with the Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 16: Morning.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives attention of with the info and all of the latest rock gulum and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients reason for your choice is cleared, So grateful it took the execute roads. Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth even in paste, and welcome home to all of the Natives.
Speaker 8: We thank you