Speaker 1: The volume. Football is officially back. No more preseason games. The regular season is here. Listen. We all like watching football on TV, but nothing's better live and in person. And the best way to get tickets to any of these games is at game Time, the fastest growing ticket app in the entire United States. For last minute, amazing deals on tickets to see your favorite football team in September. Go download game Time right now. And it's not just for football, baseball, playoff games, comedy shows, concerts all across the country. Download the game Time app and use the redeem code Colin Coln twenty dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply again. Download the game Time App. The redean code is Colin. That's my name, Coln twenty dollars off. If you do that, no matter where you live, get out and have some fun this weekend, baby. Download the game Time app today, last minute tickets, lowest prices, guarantee game time. Hi everybody, and welcome in. I want to talk about the Green Bay Packers, a seventeen point come from behind win. I don't think Jordan Love's great. I'm not sure if he's even very good. I'm not sure if he's good. He was twenty two to forty four. Some drop passes, some really bad throws, but it's the largest comeback in Packers history. I said this about Aaron Rodgers. Some guys are great when it's all set up, when they play close, so they play with the lead. I always said the body language for Aaron Rodgers. If he got behind big, he changed the way he played. He became more cautious, more sale like he mailed in the game, just wanted to protect his passer rating. Whether that's true or not, that's something I've been saying for about seven eight years or longer than Aaron Rodgers. So Jordan Love trails seventeen to nothing, but he's got that young, naive, optimistic we're never out of it till the game ends feel, and I think players pick up on that. I think teammates pick up on that. Now, did he get a break? Derek Carr got hurt. Yes, he got a break. Lots and lots of breaks happen in football games. I mean, good God, if you watch the Vikings Chargers, each team was trying to lose the game, like games are all about breaks and opportunities. Jordan Love got an opportunity full steam ahead, head down, optimistic, positive body language, positive energy, and came back to win. If Derek Carr doesn't get hurt, they don't win that football game. Derek moves the chains, Jamis Winston comes in. He's going to be more three and outs, more mistakes. Now, the Saints could have won it with a field goal, but again they didn't. But my takeaway and Jordan Love, I don't know what he is. He's young. I said, I want Thanksgivings the time. He's been sitting for three years. Give me to Thanksgiving. I'll have a strong, more definitive opinion. He missed some easy things today. He looked a little rattled today. But the Packers have always done a really good job of drafting, developing, avoiding chaos. They don't they can't get top free agents, but in a weird way, it helps them. You never have to deal with, you know, outside of a farvar Aaron Rodgers ego, you don't deal with a lot of nonsense in Green Bay, right. You kind of know what you have. You never feel like you have the most talented team, but you have a talented team. But I like the fact that Jordan Love biggest comeback in Packer history, positive, optimistic, keep grinding These games last forever. I mean, good God, the Jets didn't do anything all day and almost won the game in a hail Mary. Just stay keep moving, keep grinding, keep getting first downs. Sometimes it's just a game of attrition. And the Packers win a game they probably shouldn't have yet, they got a break. But I was happy for Jordan Love. Twenty two of forty four is not Joe Montana, but he's a kid. He's young. When you're young, especially when you're young, these wins feel like two. You know that's going to carry over to the next game. That optimism. They get into that locker room and they know they were down seventeen to nothing. That's a big, big win for the Packers. So the Dolphins drop by seventy. Burger beat the Broncos seventy to twenty. I had said multiple weeks ago that I thought the biggest potential tsunami in the league was Denver because of the different personalities between Russell Wilson and Sean Payton and the pressure for both to succeed quickly. The defense, which carried the team last year is now really bad. Vance Joseph is coaching it. It's horrendous. It's not the most talented defense. They don't get a great pass rush on a consistent basis. Bradley Chubb is now over the Dolphins, so they could use at the trading deadline some defensive help. But this is an embarrassing loss the free I still think they have a lot of talent. I still think they can win games. But so much of Russell Wilson's legacy, his reality is locker room stuff. Russell has always been more popular out of the locker room than in it. Aaron Rodgers, by the way, has often been popular in the locker room, but takes some criticism out of it. And that's a real thing. It doesn't really matter what's set outside the room, what is inside the room. It feels like to give up seventy points, like Miami's really good. I think Miami is the best team in the league right now. San Francisco is the best roster, Miami's the best team. So the fact that Miami won doesn't shock me. I stayed away from it. I didn't want to touch it. A lot of the wise guys like Denver and I'm like, no thanks. I think Miami is so creative, so clever in the red zone. It's a master's class on how to score points. Just total deception inside screens. I mean almost as a rule, whatever they do initially, they'll go the opposite way. Eventually they're just all sleight of hand. It's like a classic, you know, magician with cards like you just can't keep your eyes on where they're going. But seventy to twenty feels like there's locker room issues. And I always thought this was a big lift for Sean Payton. He had to change the culture, the old line Russell Wilson, and it's not working and it's getting worse. This sounds crazy, but I wouldn't be shocked if eventually Russell Wilson doesn't start, they blow it up. Russell Wilson has always been aspirational, but the truth is he's never been a great pocket passer. There's questions if you look at Seattle, how great of a leader he was. I thought he was until he left and got banged on by four or five different ex teammates. I've never seen that in my career, in my life of doing this, I've never seen a star quarterback leave somewhere. I mean, there are even people in Chicago that spoke up for Jake Cutler. I didn't think. I didn't think anybody like Jay Cutler. I'd never heard anybody bad mouth Aaron Rodgers. When he left Green Bay, Russell got tagged by about six four five six guys, and so I don't know what this locker room is like, but I think we're headed again. You could have lost today thirty four to thirty. Thirty four to twenty seven been competitive. You could have lost today. It's not that. Seventy to twenty feels like. It's much much deeper than that. It's a cultural issue. It's a locker room issue, it's a quitting issue, much deeper problems. And Sean Payton's gonna win this thing. Okay, Sean Payton coaches can coach to their seventy Belichick still puts up great defensive game plans. He's gonna win this battle. I don't know how they're going to get out of this contract. They're gonna have to draft another quarterback. I think they clearly will. Who would have thought in a great college quarterback draft class Denver, Listen for all the picks they gave up, the Broncos do have a first round pick, and they need some defensive line help. But I would draft a quarterback. The only way to get out of this Russell Wilson thing if it doesn't work is to hit in a quarterback. You don't have to pay him for four to five years. That's your only hope. And then eventually if it doesn't work this year, I'm not even sure if Russell Wilson would be on the roster. You just move him. But I mean, that sounds like hyperbolic. I don't think it is. I don't think it is. This is not This is going to be a personality clash between Peyton and Russell Wilson, and Peyton's gonna win it. Sean Payton's gonna win this. It's not going to be close. And now for a segment called Making It Luke Easy, brought to you by Morgan and Morgan, America's largest injury law firm, and Tua made it look easy today twenty three of thirty six four touchdowns on a passer rating of one fifty five point eight. Tua, with a great coach and weapons, is an accurate distributor of the football and that's all he needs to be. Just making it Luke easy. That's what Morgan and Morgan does. Over one hundred offices nationwide, more than eight hundred lawyers, fifteen billion dollars have been recovered with over three hundred thousand clients. Morgan and Morgan has a proven track record fighting to get full and fair compensation. Morgan and Morgan's been fighting for the people for over thirty five years. If you're ever injured, ever, go to for Thepeople dot com, slash Colin or dial pound five to two nine. Checkout America's largest injury law firm. Winning the NFL as hard, but hiring Morgan and Morgan is easy. The difference between retaining a job and getting fired is often a play, and I thought there was a chance that if the Chargers lost today that Brandon Staley would have been fired on the flight home. They remain so undisciplined, defensively bad defensive penalties multiple times today bailing out the Vikings, who didn't really generate a ton of offense. They had a great touchdown to Justin Jefferson, who tends to score most of his touchdowns in Minneapolis, but this defense, again, Justin Herbert doesn't have Austin Eckler end of the game didn't have Mike Williams and Herbert, so Herbert a lot of his passes were underneath twelve yards in almost in lieu of a running game. But there was a moment at the end of this game, and again Hindsight's twenty twenty. But it was fourth down in an inch, fourth down in a foot, fourth down in this whatever, deep in their own territory, punt it Minnesota. Kirk Cousins had been under intense pressure the entire game. You're a defensive coach. You're getting tremendous pressure on Kirk Cousins. Punt it, make them drive seventy five yards and win by a touchdown. Instead, Brandon Staley decides, I'm going to go for it deepen my own territory, and then I'm going to give it to my least skilled offensive player. Herbert could roll out Keenan, Allen Everett, they have multiple receivers Palmer. No, they give it to the backup running back who gets stuffed. Wow Wow, and an interception retains Brandon Staley's job. I think that's how close it is, you know. Once again, Herbert puts up massive numbers. Herbert most the air free Herbert without his star running back Mike Williams, gets hurt. If you're scoring twenty eight points a week and that's what the Chargers do, and the quarterback's got a passer rating in the hundreds and is throwing for over three hundred yards, you have to win those games. And the Chargers almost gave it to a Viking team that can't run the football and couldn't protect their quarterback. Think about that, couldn't run the football, couldn't protect the quarterback, and they have a quarterback and Kirk Cousins who's not hyper athletic. You watch that game, there was no question. If you take Justin Jefferson out of that game. Of the top twelve players, eight nine were Chargers and they hold on for dear life. What do they do well? They rush the passer pretty well. I think that's because of the people they've drafted, and they have a really nice passing attack, again because of Herbert, Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, because of really good players. But I don't think there's a team in the league that is worse on attention to detail, A talented team that's worse attention to detail than the Chargers. Brandon Staley keeps his job, but they tried to give that thing away half a dozen times with dumb penalties in key spots. We're back with another week of football, and Draft Kings Sportsbook is keeping us in on all the NFL action great offers. Every single game, New customers can bet five dollars and get two hundred dollars instantly in bonus bets, throw five down on any of the week's epic matchups, walk away an instant winter. DraftKings is not stopping there. All customers take advantage of two new offers every game this September. Football's more fun when you're in the action, no question about it. Download the app now, sign up code Colin. That's me Coli in New customers bet just five bucks and get two hundred dollars instantly in bonus bets only on Draftking Sportsbook, an official sports bet partner of the NFL, With the code Colin, the crown is yours, right, John Middlecoff three and out. But I think this is just how Pittsburgh's gonna win. And I think that they're basically when they face offensive lines they can manipulate. I did think their defense got a bit gas, Jimmy could go to a second or third receiver. You couldn't do that in the first half, couldn't do that in the first three quarters. So I mean, I think every great defense if they're on the field enough, and that's the problem with the Steeler defense. They're fantastic. But this team leads the league in three and outs. You know, they're kind of an old school If they beat you over the top, they can't they can't really run the ball. Pickett, we'll let it loose. He moves okay, but it's a big play offense. Occasionally. This is your O line and Kenny Pickets your quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, one thing that's pretty clear is that I agree. One thing that's pretty clear is that they drafted Najie Harris pretty high and he's just not that good. He just looks kind of like an average, you know, run of the mill running back. Can you pick His athleticism actually is one thing that makes him a little more functional, because arm talent is nothing special. I mean, you watch two guys to night that.
Speaker 1: Just do not have great arms.
Speaker 2: I mean, Jimmy Garoppolo's arm to me is getting dramatically worse, you know, and I think the Steelers TJ Watt, I don't know if they're gonna win enough games usually to be the defensive player of the year. I guess JJ Watt had some years, but they were still making the playoffs. If this team's not a playoff team. But he has twenty five sacks, I mean, he's on a torrid pace right now. He's a fantastic player. But offensively, I'm with you. I mean, I just you don't it's not pretty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I was thinking about this today that I counted outside of about eight NFL teams Kansas City, Burrows, Fine, Cincinnati, the Rams, Stafford. I still think has a couple of really good years left if they can protect him. He's still really good. Philadelphia, Baltimore, Buffalo, Jacksonville. There's about eight teams right now that shouldn't draft a quarterback. Everybody else. If I'm New England, I draft a quarterback. I don't think they're in love with Mac Jones. Las Vegas obviously, Denver, New York Giants. Minnesota absolutely drafted quarterback. Despite the NFL altering rules for the last decade, all favoring offense. John About eight teams in this league can consistently score and that's about it. And I think these two teams tonight again, these quarterbacks when pressured, oh, lines are both really average. Points are a premium, and I think that this is why they keep altering the rules. A lot of your better athletes. These edge rushers. We can't find offensive linemen in this league. There's just too many good edges and these there's edge rushers everywhere. You can't block Max Crosby, you can't block TJ. Watt. I just look at this. I think I looked at the Steelers and their recipe is, Listen, we can win ten games a year just on defense and a couple of over the top plays.
Speaker 2: Well, if you look at it, everyone thinks Matt Canada is the village idiot, and I think a lot listen. I'm not saying he's Kyle shanahana McVeigh, but his personnel is not great. We're on the flip side, Josh McDaniels. Now, this is second opportunity in what fifteen plus years. Obviously, the Denver thing a long time ago. He tied his hands to t bow, tried to be Belichick two point zero and that was He's ran out of the building within a year and a half. This is not going well, Colin. And he tied himself immediately to Jimmy Garoppolo. Who listen, I know people love to be like, well, perty would look the same. Jimmy Garoppolo is just not a very good player right now. His arm strength has greatly diminished. His decision making is horrendous. I got a text a night from an NFL EXECU that was like, how do you have DeVante Adams and Josh Jacobs And they basically had seven points, you know, fifty five minutes of the game, Like, what is going on this guy? Listen. Obviously, when you have Tom Brady, you're going to be a better coach. But he was viewed as just an excellent scommat x's nos chess player, and you're watching him now as a head coach. It just looks terrible, Colin. I don't know how else to say it. He just he looks over his head a little bit and a lot. He's tied himself to Jimmy Garoppolo.
Speaker 1: Mike McDaniels so creative and clever with Miami and Shanahan is as well as you called him. Mike McDaniel, the Ivy League, Shanahan and then McVeigh I think also falls into this. Really clever Andy Reid we know is reddy clever. There's a very small handful of guys that are that can really do their magicians and they can do a lot of different things. Right. I kind of feel like Josh McDaniels has an offense. This is what it is. He needs the right left tackle, the right quarterback, Whereas I think Shanahan, McVeigh, McDaniels can kind of use their personnel and there can be limitations at quarterback, limitations on the offensive. Miami doesn't have a great offensive line, Rams don't have a great offensive line. Doesn't matter, they figure out a way to make it work. I kind of feel Josh McDaniels is one of those you know, you know, you ever have a college professor or I you know, and he's good, but it's basically the same lecture for thirty years, Like this is kind of the act he has. Really he hasn't really added to it. It's the same tricks of thirty years ago and he's never updated things. And I kind of feel like Josh McDaniels has an offense. It's only as good as the quarterback. It bombed with Tebow, it was great with Brady, and it's limited with Garoppolo. It's not super clever. It's predicated on who's throwing the ball.
Speaker 2: I would say. The other thing is these New England guys, they always hire other New England guys. Where McDaniel's a good example, he'd never worked with Vic Fangio. Hires mcfangiel. Why he's the best defensive coordinator in the market. They need to upgrade that side of the ball. And you look at you know, Josh McDaniel, what does he do. He goes get Patrick Graham, who was with Joe Judge, who was with Bill Belichick, and they've all worked together. They all stay so insulated as a group. Where these Sean McVay, he's gone outside before, brand know, Brandon Staley, Kyle Shanahan had never worked with Steve Wilks. You gotta be okay with thinking outside the box. Sometimes on you on your position coaches, but specifically the coordinator on the other side of the ball. I mean, the Raiders defense is just they've been drafted high for fifteen plus years and they're just always terrible. I mean, look, they draft a guy in the top ten. That's the other thing. Personnel wise, you draft that guy you know from Texas Tech over Jalen Carter and Collins Arse was saying, it's nice, it doesn't look very good. You take that guy seven to eight. I mean, he's got to have some impact on the game, and he looks, you know, like a mid round pick at best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, their best players Max Crosby, who I think was a fifth rounder and a directional school in Michigan, and he's their best player, and their on defense best player. Devonte Adams Fresno State, guy who's been good in the league for a long time. All Right, I want to talk Cowboys. So the Cowboys were missing three offensive linemen starters and I and so there's some of that. Up to four different offensive linemen played. And I think the red zone is where average offensive lines go to die. It's congested. You need the push. Teams that have great old lines like Philadelphia are generally great in the red zone. It's hard enough to block. It's really hard in a congested space when you have a limited playbook, right half your playbook you can't use when you're at the seven yard line. You know, so when you're going backup offensive lineman. For at one point Dallas wasn't gonna be great in the red zone. But I do think it points out when I watched Dallas played, I think more than they want to admit, Dak's Kirk Cousins with more mobility. There's a way Dak is good. He plays with the lead. He throws thirty four times or fewer. It's complimentary throwing. It's play action throwing. Mike McCarthy trailed late in the game. He was still running the ball, and Mike's thing is, I'm not going to have him throw forty five times a game. I know how this turns out. He'll throw interceptions, make mistakes, he'll get dogged all week in practice. I'm not going to have Dak confidence going to the tank. And so they played kind of conservative trailing in the game. That was my take is that Mike's like, listen, I know the outcome. He's got a bad record, and I think Mike kind of fell like, I'm not going down there. We're just gonna we're just gonna run the ball if we can get one of these things. And I feel it like with Dak, there's a way to play now everybody's crushing McCarthy for the game plan. And again they moved the ball. They actually ran the ball pretty well. They moved the ball. They were just bad in the red zone. My takeaway is I don't think McCarthy's a great coach. And I kind of watched Dallas and I thought, oh, this is this is not how, this is not how they win with Dak. That's my take.
Speaker 2: Well, today's a good example on McCarthy. They get in the red zone, they're one to five, right, they could not Like you said, they moved the ball. They ran the ball for almost two hundred yards. Pallard looked fantastic. When I have Ceedee Lamb, Tony Pollard and Brandon Cooks and I get within the ten or five yard line, I have to have a couple of plays using motions, some trickeration that Andy Reid, the McDaniel, that Sean McVay to just get some layup walk in place. You saw it all around the league today with these innovative offensive minds, and you watch them, you're right, they're missing guys the offensive line penalties today, Remember a couple years ago they led the league penalties. That was cropping up again today. But understandable sometimes when you have new faces at you know, in your front five. But to not have just a couple go to easy walk in touchdowns today because let's face it, Arizona's played pretty well this year, yep. I mean they were very feisty Week one against Washington. They were kicking the shit out of the Giants for a half, and today they brought it. I mean, they were flying around. If you didn't know that, all of us thought they were gonna suck you go. This is a solid NFL team. The quarterback looked good defensively, they were flying around. But yeah, I mean I listen, Dak's been who he's been for half a decade now, right. He hasn't changed. He's been solid. But like that pick toward the end of the game, which ultimately at that point in time they were gonna they probably weren't gonna win anyway, But that's kind of him, you know, Cousins does like you said the same thing. And this is where I get back to to not have just whether it's a zone red play, the Dak can get a walk in. Jordan Love had that play today on the goal line where he scored touchdown that kind of you know, got the momentum back for them. It feels like sometimes McCarthy's just kind of banging his head against the wall and listen, I thought Dallas was a legitimate Super Bowl contender. You watch games like today, the coach and the quarterback. Man, if they're not, you're going to have to beat some really good offensive play callers and some really good quarterbacks. And McCarthy, man, there's a reason he didn't win a lot of those NFC championship games. It's not like they went to four Super Bowls and only won the one with Aaron Right. They went to five NFC Championship games, and beside the one they won, they never won any of those games.
Speaker 1: For a limited time, you can save up to forty percent off on an NFL Plus Premium annual subscription when you sign up through Plus Play from Verizon plus Play. It is a platform where you can shop, manage, and save on the subscriptions you already love. Like NFL Plus, With NFL Plus Premium, you get access to live games on mobile, NFL Red Zone, NFL Network, and more so you can watch multiple games all at once but any screen around you for updates. Never miss a touchdown. That's simple and for fantasy players, NFL Plus Premium makes all the difference. Access to programming like Fantasy Live through the NFL Network Red Zone for tracking player performances on a Sunday, access to live local and primetime games, access to Fantasy Plus. Just go to Verizon dot Com slash NFL to get NFL Plus Premium today forty percent off. That's forty percent off an annual subscription, just fifty nine ninety nine for the full season. Get it before it's gone. One of the things that is really interesting, Jimmy Johnson was really outspoken about Brandon Staley and if you watch, I watched every second of that game. Both those teams were trying to give that game away the Chargers outside of Justin Jefferson, and maybe that there's a safety for Minnesota who's really good the Notre Dame Guide's been in the league for years.
Speaker 2: Harrison Smith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Chargers have better players all of the field. It's not even debatable, better old line, better pass rush, just have better roster. But what was remarkable about Brandon Staley going for it on fourth down at the twenty four is it Minnesota Number one had no timeouts left, had struggled to block increasingly in that game, struggled to block the Chargers front. So no timeouts, you punt it. Let's say they fair catch it at the thirty thirty five. They need a touchdown to win. They have no timeouts left, and the pressure has increased on Kirk Cousins, who's not a big throw the ball down the field, not a deep ball thrower anyway, And they really had abandoned a lot of that because they just didn't have time to set up for that. They couldn't get the protection. And he goes for it, and then not only does he go for it, the worst skill player on the field is the guy who gets the ball, the backup running back because Austin Ecker didn't play. And I'm like, what timeout? That wasn't a tough one, no timeouts. I mean, you're a defensive coordinator, you're getting great pass rush and they can't call a timeout. They have to get into the end zone. I thought it was almost a fireable. I thought, if they lost that game, you could fire him flying back home. Now that is am I overreacting to that?
Speaker 2: Well, I thought if they lost the game when today started, before the ball even kicked off. I don't see how you didn't fire him. Now, I'm not shocked at him going for it. This is what he's been doing for two and a half years. Like he's gone for it in insane time. Remember a couple of years ago against the Raiders, he went forward like I think at the twenty yard line, not even at the twenty four. Now, it was earlier in the game. But I also think when you talk to people around the league, these owners and a lot of gms, and you know t LESCo are very numbers driven and are very pro the quote unquote go for it or Historically that was never the case in football. It was much more conservative, always punted and played defense. Which is that tide has clearly shifted to me, like he's gonna go for it. He's been doing stupid shit his entire tenure as the Charger coach. It's more just about the way the defense looks. They look like a really good big twelve team. They can score on anybody, can't stop a soul. You're talking gaping holes, Colin, Where is everybody? Does anyone know what's going on on defense? It happened a lot for Lincoln at Oklahoma forever. It's like we're not on the same page here.
Speaker 1: The Chargers are returning all their starters. Now they have the kid from us see the rush in, but essentially it's the same starting group and there's they're a bad third and long defense. It's like, guys, So they didn't play j. C. Jackson today, And my takeaway was, when you play the Vikings, you can't let Justin Jefferson get over the top. And J. C. Jackson just doesn't have He's not football smart. I don't know him personally, he's not football smart. It's why, by the way, it's why Belichick let him go. And Belichick just gave up on him. You know, say what you want about Belichick on offense, you almost never beat New England over the top. And so the Chargers didn't play him. And my take is he's just not football smart, like he just is in the wrong spot. He bites on anything. And so they said, if Justin Jefferson doesn't meet us over the top, we're gonna sit J. C. Jackson and we'll just keep everything in front and Kirk has to drive. And by the way, it mostly is effective against Kirk. That's a heavy penalized team. It's a heavy turnover team. The game plan was solid. There was at least two moments, could have been three where they stopped where they bailed the vikings out with defensive penalties Like I'm second and twenty third and fifteen. You're like, guys, there's a lot of veterans on this field. This is just defensive coach returning starters, guys that have been around multiple undisciplined penalties.
Speaker 2: I I, and I like you could justify firing them. I think even with the win, like, where's this going? What are we doing? It's the same thing every week, win or lose. They always look the same. How often does an eight to ten yard completion turn into twenty seven yards? You know, defenders running into each other bad angles, and they get so many explosive plays. That is a pretty basic seven yard you know, slant route that goes another twenty six yards. That's why they were able to constantly get back into the game because they can't tackle a soul. The defensive backs now for two and a half years, never feel like they know where they're supposed to be. Ever, like you say, JC Jackson, they just waved the white flag on that one they said, all this money whatever, healthy and active. Yeah, but the guys that were out there today, And this is what I think people are so critical of him that he's a defensive head coach. He's really when you're a defensive coordinator, you're in charge of the coverages, like that's the most important thing, right, the coverages against you know, and clearly the coverages he's calling, his players do not know how that he wants them to execute it because they're all over the map on any given call, Guys out of position, guys wide open. It does look like a college team that is having to win, you know, on a weekly basis. Forty eight to forty five, that's kind of the way they have to play. But in the NFL that's very difficult because you're margin feir so small offense, you're going to screw up sometimes. I mean, he was forty to forty seven today. Now he got lucky on the one touchdown that could have been a pick. But he is playing really, really well, and I know that sometimes it gets pushed back, why don't you win more? If you just watch the Chargers play, you will understand why he just doesn't quote unquote win more.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean he basically without Austin Eckler, they have no run games. So it's a short passing game. And I don't think there's a quarterback in the league maybe Mahomes who is better on the catch it. Throw it to the perimeter. That's not as easy as it looks. Herbert. It is a complete layup. He must have had eighteen of those today, maybe twenty five. Catch it, throw it, Keenan Allen, It doesn't matter. Gerald Everett. By the way, that's not a layup for a lot of guys in this league. It is a layup for Justin Herbert, just out even crossfield throws easy stuff. So pivot to this. It's very obvious that, you know, Zach Wilson, he's not a franchise quarterback, and I think we all knew that coming into the season. They're gonna punt on him. Think I think the Chicago Bears are very likely going to have the number one pick, you know, Arizona Josh Dobbs as a backup to Kyler. Murray's actually a pretty good quarterback room if Kyler. If Kyler's centered and ready to go, that's a hell of a quarterback room. That would not be your issue. I just think, like you said, they're feisty, they're fast, they they're competitive at home. They're gonna win five or six games. If Kyler comes back, they go wins six or seven. Josh Dobbs can certainly make throws. You know, good kid in the room, moves well. They'll win games justin fields can't play. Like you watch this like you can tell how teams defend him. They don't think he can play, they don't think he can see the field. They don't respect him so much to this game is predicated on Coaches will tell you what they think of their personnel. They'll also tell you what they think of their personnel. And I think Kansas City came into this game and said, we're going to be hyper aggressive. We don't care we can make mistakes. I watching him today, I'm like, Okay, I'm trying to be a good guy, right like everybody in the media is trying to be nice. Zach Wilson came in kind of cocky. It was easy to go he can't play. But when a guy comes in it's a big city, you know, he doesn't have a huge attitude. You see some tools. I thought after today I'm like, wow, this is nobody in that building, No way. Ryan Poles thinks this is the future, right.
Speaker 2: I think the question is is everyone in major trouble? I mean they had a really rough week obviously, the situation with their defensive coordinator. The quarterback, like you said, he's just he's a bad football player, Like you can't not only not franchise. These guys aren't starting quarterbacks. And I think you would ask yourself, well, would you want him as your backup? Because Joshua Dobbs. Some of these guys you see as a backup, like they can function. Look at Jordan Love Now, he was a backup for a while. He's a functional player. How good they're ceiling is, I don't know, but justin fields can't complete passes. At one point in time today they were getting destroyed. It was in the fourth quarter. He had sixteen pass attempts. They don't even trust to throw them. When he said this week the coaching comment, which if you watch him say it, I don't think he was trying to drive a bus over the offensive coordinator, but he was basically admitting, like they want me to run a normal NFL offense where I go one to two to three, and we try to pass like these other teams and I can't do it because I turn into a robot and I don't know how to function. Part of being a great quarterback is kind of blending that instincts with the robotic nature, right, because some of these throws you gotta just turn into a robot, dump it down for four yards, right and think at lightning speed. I mean you're talking less than three Mississippis that ball you're firing around, knowing the coverage, knowing the hot routes. There's a lot going on. It's why most people have no shot to do it. And he is completely overwhelmed. I thought his physical tools I liked him as a college prospect. They don't translate really like to me. His the our motion doesn't feel very smooth. Clearly now he's like trying to guide it, but he has no clue where the ball's going. They are a mess. Calling for as shitty as as Denver was today seventy points, you could argue that was even worse. There was a moment where Denver was feisty early That game was just it was a Taylor Swift party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's you do get to a point in Chicago, and I've said this, some of it's cultural. They don't do offense well. They've never had a star quarterback. Al Sean Jeffery is their best receiver. They've had very few great offensive lines. I mean they it's weird about this, John and I. It's almost like every Laker team almost that's ever won a title has been flashy, and every Celtic team that's ever won has been feisty because Boston's feisty, right, and LA's glitzy. Every Detroit team that's been great has been tough. Same with Pittsburgh. Like you become your city or something, you become the culture around you. In Chicago is a Midwest nobs tough, hit in the mouth, you know, beer and Bratstown right, Like it's it's my favorite big city in the country. But it's just authentic. It's real. They love they I can name six great linebackers for the Bears. I can't name two good receivers. And so they don't do offense well. They don't have a sentence for it. They don't. They're not a touchy feely organization. I mean, you can go to Kansas City. It could be Lenn Dawson, it's Alex Smith, it's Patrick Mahomes. They had Joe Montana. I mean, Kansas City's had like seven different quarterbacks, Green Bays, Bart Start, Brett Fahr, Aaron Rodgers, Jordan Love may make it. They just know how to develop quarterbacks. Chicago doesn't. They're still celebrating the eighty five Bears. So to come in there, Let's say Kayleb Williams goes there. I don't trust this staff, do you?
Speaker 2: I think depending on what comes out about this defensive coordinator. And I'm not laying the blame on anything he did in his personal life or even if it crossed over professionally on Eberflus, Like, these are grown men making millions of dollars, But there are moments where you can look back and go, that was the beginning of the end, and that situation, all the rumors floating him having to resign. Clearly people reporting today that it wasn't anything criminal, it was inappropriate. It'll be very fascinating as information comes out. But Caleb's dad has been on record about the situation in the draft, this situation, they have a defensive head coach whose defense is it couldn't be any worse. I mean, it's as bad as it gets. The staff feels overwhelmed the quarterback, which isn't their fault. I mean, these guys didn't draft him, but is getting worse by the week. Yes, So the narrative and the negativity surrounding this operation when the season ends is gonna be at an all time high, right, I mean, it's just gonna there's gonna be a lot of negativity from every angle. And you just wonder a guy that is viewed as this all time great player, who's got some strong opinions, and he's got some money and his dad's involved. Like, I don't think it's a lock that they just don't make a us about this. And I had people like DM and me. Do you think that they would push the ownership to hire an offensive coach. It's kind of hard in football to do maneuvering like that. This isn't basketball. But I do think that in the next month or two, if I'm the owner of the Bears and I've known people that worked there, and that place is very old schools, yes, defense very people that have worked several places, they're like, it's actually much closer to a mom and pop shop for some you know organization. Yeah, for five billion that anyone could even fathom. Right, they need to do a lot of just kind of looking in the mirror and changing. But as long as the ownership is the ownership, I don't know if things are going to dramatically change, which is sad.
Speaker 1: You know, the ownership went to Bill Pollion. He went and got Matt eberflus So. And I don't know much about Matt eberflus I have two people that know him, like him, nice guy. He inherited. You know, they had to move off ropewand Smith, they had to move off some defensive players. They're starting over. Then you become very beholden to your GM and who he can draft. But it's interesting. I've thought about the Bears, like where would you go if you flushed it and started over? And Lincoln Riley does not want to coach right now? NFL football? Okay, So you're like, Okay, the college guy, Ryan Day is more served to me. He's more high emotion. He's a college coach, not a pro coach. We saw it again this week and I like him, but he's raw, raw guy. So Kellen Moore, I don't think is ready for Chicago. I think he would get the Charger job if Staley got fired, So the Chargers wouldn't let him go there.
Speaker 2: Jim Harbaugh would make them probably too uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Well, Harbaugh is somebody. I Harbaugh would go pro if Caleb Williams came out. I think it's the perfect time now Harball wants control of personnel. So could they do a situation like Sean Payton where Sean Payton comes in, Harball comes in is not the initial GM. They just make it work for a year and then I think Sean will basically take over some personnel here pretty quick.
Speaker 2: I would agree.
Speaker 1: So, but I I if I was, I just don't feel good at it. And I'm not saying Justin Fields can play it. Today was just like, by this is bad. I think I'd start over. I think I would just flush it out and start up. Listen. A couple of years ago, Ryan Polls to GM drafted VELAs Jones in the third round. Wide receiver, USC who transferred to Tennessee couldn't play a lick at either place. It's like watch film. He couldn't. He couldn't, he couldn't track the ball. He's a receiver who couldn't track the ball like I saw that pick it. I'm like, Okay, they don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't get over Week one when Chase Claypool did what he did, which was nothing and didn't even try, and they got embarrassed and they just didn't cut him the next day to kind of draw a line in the sand as their organization, this will not be tolerated. An Andy Reid, a Pete Carroll, that would never be allowed, Bill Belichick and back. And you've been talking about this for a long time. Think about some of the coaches right now. Robert salom Was, Zach Wilson, ebra Flus with Justin Fields, they can do nothing to help that guy besides just philosophically be like, run the ball more if they can't be in the meeting room coaching them up, designing plays. So even when you get into a pinch, if you're Sean McVay last year, you can influence Baker Mayfield when you pick them up off the scripe because you're the guy gonna be working with them, or Kyle Shanner, all these Lafleur with Jordan Love, they can work through things like you saw today it was not going well. Then Lafour's on a knee over with them, Robert Salaz just on the sideline as Zach Wilson's running for his life skipping balls. He has no Mike Tomlin with Kenny Pickett when things go bad, like, what can he actually do besides some Ryan day raw Ross beaches. And I'm not saying they're not, you know, capable and obviously accomplished and know what they're doing leading a group of men, But when it gets into the schematics and the coaching specifically of that position, these defensive coordinators that are head coaches just can't do much beside build some confidence by whispering in their ear.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I think that's why I think with Chicago, I think you kind of burn it down started over. I think you go get a Caleb Williams. And I'm not saying if Kingsbury would get a second shot. It felt like he was a little over his skis, but he did get them to the playoffs. And I know Kingsbury at USC and Caleb have a great relationship and he feels like he could he I don't know if he'd ever want to go. You know, he to me, he's either I think Cliff would like to get another pro job and I but it's you know, basically, Chicago's a cold weather Arizona where you don't trust the ownership, you don't trust the front office. You just you're as good as your quarterback. But as little confident as I have in justin fields, I think there's a lot of blame to go around. And to your point, I don't think these defensive coordinators can figure it out. I do want to want to talk before we go, and I'd said this earlier. Yeah, Denver's defense has been a mess this year. So obviously not all the blame goes on Russell Wilson. But this is going to be a fascinating cultural situation because Russell's never been really popular in the room. He's been popular with public media, but not in the room. He leaves Seattle, he got dogged by like five guys, and so that's big to Sean Payton. I know Sean well enough. In the room is what he really cares about. That's why he said those things stop kissing babies? Mean, who gives a shit what anybody outside the room thinks? Win the room over I wonder if Sean Payton has already made a decision like I'm out on this. This guy isn't me. It doesn't work because they're really polar opposites in terms of personality. How long before he bails completely?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think he could make a change in the next three or four weeks and just justify it. We need a spark though. Obviously today Russell didn't give up seventy points. I mean seventy points. Colin, Yes, I don't know how you shake that. I never thought they were a great fit, just personality wise. Clearly Russell is not the same and this organization needs a complete blow up. The problem is, what do you do right the contract for several years, from dead cap money to cap space, the bonus you paid him, you're kind of stuck with him. He has no trade value, so you can't really get rid of him. Essentially, you probably one year if you did get a really high pick, which they keep giving up seventy points, I'll promise you they will get one. Do you just cut them, take the enormous dead cap for like the year because it accelerates on your books, and just roll with a young quarterback and just kind of cut bait and move on. You know, the Eagles were all were lucky with Carson Wentz right, they were able to kind of just get rid of them, and even though and it actually ended up giving them a first round pick from the Colts. But a lot of times in these situations you can unload it, and this one, to me is not going to be an unloading situation. But he's got the quarterback, Like you said, the GM. He didn't hire this GM like this GM. He's playing nice for a year. This is this happens all the time, and then he'll get bringing his own guy is the defensive coordinator Vance Joseph. Look at his resume lately.
Speaker 1: It is no he'll get he'll get wack differs.
Speaker 2: Defense this year was good and now today, I mean they quit. The only way to give up seventy points is by quitting and tapping out and literally not trying. So he's going to have an entire organizational He probably thought he had some you know, uh in terms of making some steps forward this offseason, but it's clear that they're worse than last year. Like it's pretty crazy because at least last year the defensive coordinator that's now in Carolina, they were good on defense at least for a long percentage of the you know, the season, until they kind of ran out of juice. But I think Sean Pay's got to blow the entire thing up, and the rough situation, you're just kind of stuck unless you want to cut him and just take you know, historically high dead cap. But then you got to rehaul your defensive staff. You don't have that, you know, your draft picks. Uh, There'll just be a lot of pressure on this team because they are nowhere close. I mean today was I mean, is that one of the most embarrassing days in the history of the NFL? You think for one given team.
Speaker 1: It's it's really ugly. You know, I was thinking about this so Sean and I, I'm not like a close close, but you know, we have a nice relationship, and you know when you know, he had called me a couple of times about Fox and negotiating a TV deal, and he really wanted to live in Manhattan Beach and coach the Chargers, and I thought he was just gonna wait for a year because neither I didn't think Brandon and Staley was gonna last. And then we were communicating a lot and then all of a sudden, Sean and I weren't communicating a lot and then, and my takeaway was okay, So I didn't want to bother him and pester him. That's his you know, I've been doing this long enough. I know when somebody stops communicating, you're probably a negotiation. And I didn't know exactly who, but I kind of felt Denver because that's the stuff I was hearing about. And I got to be honest, I was surprised he took the job because he had said on the air there were concerns about Russell Wilson right and I. And this wasn't private conversation he had. You know, there's concerns about basketball and Grass does does he does he have it? So it's just so interesting because I would have bet my four oh one K a year ago that he would have just stayed. Fox was paying him. I imagined good money. I know, good money. He would have just stayed and just waited for the Charger situation. But you know, it's funny with coaches. They always you know, I've seen and friends years ago Mike Dunlevy took a clipper job, and I'm like Mike. He took the Blazers of the Western Conference Finals and arguably, you know, outplayed the Lakers shack and Kobe. But you know, somebody offers you fifteen and eighteen million bucks or whatever it is, and I just I don't think this was ever an ideal fit. But money talks, and I think I look at it now and I think, yeah, all the things I thought could possibly go wrong, not his GM, Russ and him, don't click, tough division. They're all realities today.
Speaker 2: Don't you think The wild card in this situation is this ownership. I mean, this family top two or three wealthiest family in the world America, and they are not used to failing ever, So you know who knows the dynamics they are obviously Sean is you know, a very driven, intense individual. This family's used to things. I mean they've been on I wouldn't say easy street, but their business that has been kind of on cruise control.
Speaker 1: For a while.
Speaker 2: This has to be a shock to their system about what they're witnessing. And then the nature of unlike when you own even major corporations, they just don't get talked about like they do in terms of you drive around Denver tomorrow, turn on sports radio. Everyone's you know, talking shit about the thing you own. It's some people can't especially new the new owner syndrome. That could be overwhelming and things could get weird, Things get weird fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the you know, I think, you know, the minute he could he signed Jarrett Stidham. I think he had reservations. You know, Sean went and looked at every throw Russell Wilson made, and I'm sure he saw things from the pocket right co Sell comes on my show weekly. He's been saying it for years. Russell Wilson from the pocket leaves a lot of throws out there. Sean saw that, and so he went and got Stitt. Him a guy that can run his offense complete easy throws. So I just don't think this relationship is going to work. I don't think this is all on Russell. But you know, you give up draft capital, you pay him, You're going to take the heat. And I do think the team quit today. So does that say the locker room's not great? The locker rooms divided? I mean, you don't see teams in the NFL quit. Maybe once a year we see a team quit. You don't see him quit in week three, Like that's a problem. It's week twelve, right, everybody's you know, everything's put on film. So guys just don't quit in this league. You just don't Monday, it's on film week three, guys quit like that. That tells me there's a cultural issue. And Russell's the biggest star in.
Speaker 2: That room, saving grace for Sean those He has the Raiders and the Chargers in his division. So it makes it a little bit easier if you could ever just get a couple of pieces in there and get it rolling in.
Speaker 1: The right direction, right, John Middlecoff three and out. This is our Sunday Night Monday Morning podcast, Buddy Good Seniors.
Speaker 2: Olas Day's gone the Vine.
Speaker 1: Football is officially back. No more preseason games. The regular season is here. Listen. We all like watching football on TV, but nothing's better live and in person. And the best way to get tickets to any of these games is at game Time, the fastest growing ticket app in the entire United States. For last minute, amazing deals on tickets to see your favorite football team in September. Go download game Time right now. And it's not just for football, baseball, playoff games, comedy shows, concerts, all across the country. Download the game Time app and use the redeem code Colin COLN twenty dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply again. Download the game Time app. The redeemed code is calling. That's my name co l i N twenty dollars off. If you do that, no matter where you live, get out and have some fun this weekend, baby. Download the game Time app today, last minute tickets, lowest prices. Guarantee game time