Speaker 1: With the eighty fourth pick in the twenty twenty four NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Roman Wilson, wide receiver Michigan Ultra ultra competitive, strong hands, big time speed down the field, showed the ability to run every single route on the route tree.
Speaker 2: You'll have a lot of erstilities, got lot instincts, high football character. Guy.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Pittsburgh. First of all, is it crazy that you were going to be playing with the herbig brothers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's pretty crazy. Nick. Yeah, yeah, from a just their story alone, like how they got together on the same team and it's like now I'm getting to join in too, Like that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: What do you remember most about, you know, being able to grow up with them and playing with Nick.
Speaker 2: Especially with Nick, just competing him on defense, him being a leader on defense and him being me being a leader on offense. Just competing every day, talking trash, going at each other. But you know, it's all loved the other day. But that's that's what sticks out.
Speaker 3: Your commitment and your family's commitment to go to that high school. Just take us through the plane rides to go to school. The sacrifices that were probably made to continue the dream of football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm the plane rides. Looking back at it, it wasn't that bad. But in the moment, you know, it was hard. Being away from our family, being away from our friends, kind of being by myself growing up a lot that was that was really hard to do. And my family sacrificed so much for me to just for me to have that opportunity. You know, my mom had three jobs, my dad has some jobs that you know, he didn't want to work. He was working a long time in and yeah, it's really just my family just sacrifice so much for me, just for the chance of for me to get here, and I'm so proud that I'm able to, you know, do.
Speaker 3: That for them. Some of your former coaches have said just the desire to be great has been ingrained in you, and it's very obvious. Do you think that started back then or even further back in your life.
Speaker 2: I don't know, maybe even even further. I just feel like even if it's something I'm not, you know, good at, it could be table tennis. You know, I'm I'm working at it. You know, I hate to lose. I love to win, and uh, you know, I just want to be the best at whatever I'm doing. You know, I don't whoever's in front of me, I'm gonna go to chase. I might keep chasing them until I get them.
Speaker 3: Well, so what's up man?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 3: Hey? Welcome to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 1: Ben, Hey, I'm you excited?
Speaker 3: Getting it cool man conversations with having a mobile and all of that stuff, getting to.
Speaker 2: Know each other.
Speaker 3: That's just football life though, man, That's why we worked. Man. What was it like for you when you got the call and you found out where you were finally gonna start your NFL career? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was really excited to come to the Steelers. It's one of the teams where I thought it was the best fit for me, the best environment for me. But you know, honestly, when I got the call, I was upset. You know, I watched a lot of receivers get taken in front of me. I give me some motivation, the chick them my shoulders. So you know, I'm ready to prove a lot of people wrong.
Speaker 3: Why do you think you fit here?
Speaker 2: Just being being a guy who can come in play and you know, expand the offense a little bit. I feel like I'm gonna do a good job at that and I'm going to help the quarterback make plays and failed him a good guy. I feel like I fit the culture here.
Speaker 3: Your speed did you realize when you were super young, like I'm really fast?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, just racing like racing kids at elementary school. Like I knew I was fast.
Speaker 3: Have you had a chance to talk to Russell Wilson or any of the Steelers' quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he called me last night. You know, I kind of caught me by surprise a little bit. And he's just a great guy. One thing that shot out is he's just ready to get to work.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I think I think he's ready to approve a.
Speaker 3: Lot of people on can you take us inside the pro day dinner? Arthur Smith, the offensive coordinator, was talking about that and just how he kind of gravitated towards you too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean at the dinner, it was just great vibes. You know, Coach Shalman said a lot of times like this is not a formal meeting. You know, we're not dressed up nicely, we're not doing anything. Like everyone just sit down, which has good, good conversation, good vibes and that's exactly what he did. It was great.
Speaker 3: What do you think about this wide receiver room being that it's revamped, not that you were here last year forward, but that they're doing things a little bit differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it's only my first day here, so you know, I don't know too much, but you know, I'm just really excited to get the work and go in there and the show those guys who I am and fond with them and build relationships and you know, just try to become one of the better receiver cords in the country right now in the NFL.
Speaker 3: All right, well, thanks for getting welcome, Thank you, thank you.