Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Knavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know, to check the date of the Big game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States Savings Ferry terms apply. All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 3: Should I do it an hour later.
Speaker 4: Should you do what I owe you?
Speaker 3: Something I owe you?
Speaker 4: Oh? Oh yes, I know exactly what you owe me. What you owe me an apology?
Speaker 3: What do I owe you an apology?
Speaker 5: Because you thought something was going to fall through the texts and I wasn't going to be on time because I woke up on our glue time and I made it here earlier than half the producers.
Speaker 3: Well, in fairness to them there there. I mean it's I mean it's it's a little earlier out there, but yeah, you are correct. I had a bit of trepidation. Welcome in. We are back with a fresh new episode of What's Right with Nick? Right after we had a quick little well weekend off for the fourth of July. We hope you had a wonderful Fourth of July weekend. Understandably, kind of a tough time at least for me to fully celebrate and enjoy the Fourth of July, given everything happening in the world and in this country. However, we hope you at least got a day off work, maybe add some cold beverages, some good barbecue. We were able to unwind a bit. But we are back and rolling. I am calling our shot on today's show. I think today is going to be a top three episode we've ever done of the regular shows. Now all of a sudden, on our YouTube page, by the way, the fifty greatest players of the last fifty years, those episodes are doing outstanding. We just did Larry Bird and Kobe Bryant coming up next are the fifth and fourth ranked players in the series. And we actually on today's show will be discussing Kobe versus one of those guys that's coming up in this weekend's episode. We'll discuss that in a few minutes. Also, while we are recording, I'm calling that my shot that today's show is going to be excellent, despite the fact that I'm gonna be a little distracted because off over there right now while we're recording is Wimbledon. Oh yes, the air the.
Speaker 4: Greatest wimbled was over No, that was okay, that.
Speaker 3: Was the French Open already happened. We weren't on the air when the Australian Open happened. Wimbledon is ongoing right now, and I'm gonna well, we'll talk tennis later because I'm gonna get you drawn in. You're gonna watch the Wimbledon final with me and then guess what, you're gonna be so into it, We're gonna go to the US Open final. However, we're gonna save the tennis talk for later, because that is what we call in the business, a ratings bonanza. People will tune in, stay tuned in waiting for the tennis talk. Before we get to that, I'm sure we're gonna have to do some NBA talk. I'm also, if you're watching on YouTube, gonna have to throughout the show try to fix my hair because it looks like I have this rattail thing going on in the back. However, before we do any of that, to what we always do, what we are not discussing. What did not make the cut for today's show is the following chet Holmgren sets a Summer League block record. Fun fact, it's not just only that it was Summer League, but the Utah Jazz played ten players in that game. How many of those ten players were undrafted players? Do you think, Demonse? And then we'll move on, how many do you think of the ten we're undrafted players?
Speaker 4: Ten?
Speaker 3: Nine very close nine of the ten undrafted players. What's also not on today's show the US Open the US Open Twitter feed burning Drew Lock. Drew Lock clapped back said, oh who whatever intern posted this? Hey, folks, it's twenty twenty two. Interns don't run major at social media accounts. They're they're kind of one of the most important people at the company. And is Joey Chesnut actually the goat? Oh? I swayed a lot of people about that one, didn't I And you saw him he had a little.
Speaker 4: Nut manhandled a guy and went on still in the content.
Speaker 3: Yes, little mixed martial arts. Remember I told you about chess boxing and you're like, when are you gonna need to do that? Like we do three minutes of boxing, three years chess, Joey Chestnut did a little competitive eating, competitive fighting. Okay, now we are ready to go. Let's start the show. I assume we're starting in the NBA.
Speaker 5: Katie requested to trade a few days ago. Yeah, seems that the nets want to work with him, but they obviously want to get their money's worth from this. You've been saying that he should go to New Orleans and some type of megadeal. But did the nets even end up trading him? And do they have to?
Speaker 3: Okay, so there is all of a sudden, there seems to be this sentiment amongst NBA insiders and NBA media. Maybe the Nets just keep Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving. Why do they have to trade them?
Speaker 4: They don't, I feel like.
Speaker 3: But they do. So Here's the thing in life. It is important that we don't live by how things should be, that we well, maybe it'd be nice if we lived by how things should be, but it is important that we recognize the reality of how things are. And how things are is very simple. If you are the cream of the crop, best in the league, caliber, MVP discussion type of player, your contracts are one way contracts. And by that I mean this, the team is obligated to pay you no matter what. You are obligated to play for them as long as you want to. That's a one way contract. Back when I did I'm gonna tell a quick little anecdote and then I'll get back to the Kevin Durant thing. When I did local radio, they would always in Kansas City particular, they would try to sign you to these long contracts, Like I remember once they offered me a five year deal and at the time it's like five year deal that actually sounds pretty good. Some security locked in and then you read the contract and has a little paragraph in there that says termination. It's like, well, I have a contract, so what is this termination clause?
Speaker 4: Sake?
Speaker 3: And it says the company may, for any or no reason, terminate this agreement. Okay, all right, Well that's fine. They shouldn't have to have me work for them, don't want me to. But since I signed this five year contract, if I did, what's that payment do I get? With a severance payment of thirty days? So what that meant was if I that's a one way contract their direction. If I signed it, I can't go work anywhere else for five years. They can fire me at any moment they want and pay me a month's salary and be done with me. That's a one way contract. NBA teams when it comes to the best players in the world, James Harden, I'm a Houston Rocket. I don't I need a superstar. Okay, we'll get your Dwight Howard. All right. I tried that, didn't enjoy it. I did need different one. Okay, we'll get you. Chris Paul all right, I tried that. I didn't like that. Okay, we'll trade all our draft picks and Chris Paul get you Russell Westburg. Okay, I tried that. I didn't like it. You have a couple years left on your contract. We have paid you the maximum allowed at every single turn. Yeah, I know you have. I don't want to be here anymore. We are going to hold your feet to the fire. Oh are you? How about I just quit on the team. You're still gonna pay me, right, Yeah, we're still gonna pay you, and then we'll trade you exactly where you want to go two weeks into the season, all right, the team that traded you for you, the Brooklyn Nets. I'm James Harden again. I don't think I want to be here anymore either. Yeah, I'm going to quit on the court against the Sacramento Kings. You're under contract, James. I don't want to be here anymore. Okay, we will trade you exactly where you want to go to the Philadelphia seventy six ers. Ben Simmons. They're like, oh, they help the line with Ben Simmons. Well, Ben Simmons not an MVP caliber player, and also his situation was unique. So my point is this, Folks arguing the Nets have leverage on Kevin Durant. That is, in a utopian society, that is in the ideal of that these contracts are go both ways. They don't. Nobody has over young Lebron Steph Katie. The players always hold the cards. So what's my point? My point is when the Nets float out there, Mike keep him. Oh hey, we're comfortable going into the season with him. That is a negotiating tactic. That is, so who whatever teams they are negotiating with, don't feel like, well, this is our best offer, and it's the best offer you have, and you're trading them no matter what. It's So once the Nets get their very best offer and the team whoever made it say it's the Raptors, and the Raptors are like, this is the best offer you're gonna get, that, the Nets can go back to them and say, okay, well, if that's the best offer we're gonna get, we are not trading him, as opposed to an auction, where it is whatever the top dollar bid is. It's like in an auction it would be like it did not meet the reserve, we are pulling back the item. But the Nets are trading, but they're all the Nets are all also the Nets. Someone I should say put out there, hey Lakers, just so you know, we're talking with Philly and with Dallas. Now I can't report whether or not they were talking with Dallas. The people will cover about Kyrie. That is, the people that are cover the MAVs say the MAVs are not just in Kyrie. But I can tell you and I did report, and I will report. The Sixers have had no conversations with the Nets. So why did it get out that they did. Who benefits from that? The Net lists because they want the best possible deal. Now, do I think it's going to happen immediately, No, because they do have time on their side and that the season doesn't start for a few months. But I absolutely believe Kevin Durant's going to be in a different uniform. I've made the argument the Pelicans that one other thing on the Pelicans trade. It's not just that they can trade Brandon Ingram, who's a homeless man's Kevin Durant and an all star. All those picks, plus they can throw in Larry Nance, they can throw in another nice decent It's also that Willy Green was an assistant coach in Golden State with Durant. Willy Green and Durant have a relationship. Willy Green is now the head coach of the Pelicans. Durant likes CJ. McCollums game. They just locked up Zion Williamson. New Orleans is an amazing city. This absolutely if you can get Willy Green and Katie together, I think it could happen. The Raptors are obviously in play and the sunsers first choice. I won't even entertain the possibility in going to the Warriors. I don't even want to think about that kill that rumor with fire. All right, what's next?
Speaker 5: Fair points per usual. Nobody knows what the Lakers are doing. Lebron is silently fighting for Kyrie, and Sham said Tuesday that a Russ and Kyrie trade is gaining no traction. Yep, and Jeanie Bust sent out a weird tweet that seemed like yeah, and I couldn't seem to find it.
Speaker 4: Honestly, you want to read it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of want to say, I understand why it's hard for you to find went.
Speaker 5: I went to his Twitter and I strolled down. Yes, I saw, I saw the little tweet that they put out.
Speaker 4: Uh, you went to the Twitter Genie Bus. Okay, Genie Bus the Lakers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Genie, here's the problem. Genie Bus is a woman, okay, and the owner of the Lakers.
Speaker 4: Uh soda, I didn't all.
Speaker 3: Right, listen, all uh, just a little assumption. All a woman came on an NBA two. But here's the problem. Whoever's tweet Twitter you went to was not Genie Bus because first of all, this is Genie Buss's avatar pretty clearly a woman, and all right, there's money on the ground. My apologies, and it's her most recent tweet. The tweet reads, I miss KB. He would understand and explain everything that I'm not allowed to. Honestly, he was the greatest Laker ever. He understood team over self, meaning your rewards would come if you value team goals over your own, then everything would fall into place. All can reply. So that's the tweet. Ask the question that I want to deconstruct all of this.
Speaker 5: Does Kyrie end up in LA or does Anthony Davis end up getting traded?
Speaker 4: What do you think happens here?
Speaker 3: The only way Anthony Davis is traded is if it's for Kevin Durant. I don't think that's gonna happen. It would be interesting, but I don't think it's gonna happen. I do believe Kyrie ends up with the Lakers. I think that's all negotiating tactic. They're trying to get more picks from the Lakers, and I will discuss the pick thing in a moment on Genie Buss. Okay, first of all, there's so much wrong with this tweet. First of all, calling Kobe the greatest Laker ever means you have Kobe as a greater Laker than Magic Johnson. And as people will discover when we continue our top fifty count down over the next few weeks, Magic Johnson played twelve years pre HIV. Seventy five percent of those years they went to the finals. Seventy five percent of those years he finished first, second, or third in MVP voting. Magic Johnson is the greatest Laker. But the other thing is the and I know it's somewhat poor formed to speak. I don't think this is speaking ill of Kobe Bryant. I think this is telling an accurate story, and even in passing, it is important we tell accurate stories. Kobe Bryant valued team over self. Eventually, Kobe Bryant made them pick between he and Shaquille O'Neal. Kobe Bryant was one of the big reasons Phil Jackson left the Lakers and then one of the big reasons he came back. That's from Phil's own book. And Kobe Bryant demanded a trade. So that's a little revision's history with Kobe. Now to the Lakers and the idea that they might not make the trade happen for Kyrie because they want to hold onto their draft picks. There is this misnomer out there that the Lakers have no draft picks because of the Anthony Davis trade. Here is a fact. Yes, I want this to go on social because I this Lakers draft recap part that I'm about to start put it on the internet so people can get the true story. Here's a fact about the Lakers draft picks from this very moment until the end of time. As of now, the Lakers are minus one first round pick. They owe either they're twenty twenty four or twenty twenty five first round pick to New Orleans. That is it. This coming year, New Orleans and Lakers can swap picks, but the Lakers are minus one pick. There are nineteen teams in the league that are minus one or more future first round pick, and the following teams are minus more future picks than the Lakers are. Atlanta is minus two future first and a swap. Brooklyn is minus two future first and two swaps. Denver is minus three future first. The Clippers are minus two and two swaps, the Bucks are minus two and two swaps. Philly is minus three future first, and Minnesota, thanks to the Gobert and Madness, is minus four future first and a swamp. What do Brooklyn prior to this thing blowing up? Denver? The Clippers, Milwaukee, Philadelphia all having common trying to win titles, so they're minus picks. The Lakers are minus one pick for a trade they made and they did win a title. No, the idea that you won't that you're gonna try to when you think it Kyrie and a shooter, it would be Kyrie and Joe Harris, and you want to hold onto the picks. It's just insane mismanagement. I don't think it's gonna happen. I think Kyrie's getting in a Blaker, all right, What's next?
Speaker 5: Okay, three mid teams made big moves. The Wolves got go Bear, the Hawks got John Say Murray. The Nick's got Jalen Brunson and was so obvious that they might be fine for tampering.
Speaker 4: Yep, these three moves. Do you like the most? And which one do you like the least? I feel like I kind of know.
Speaker 3: Okay, tell me.
Speaker 5: Does the Knicks getting Jalen Brunson did Dallas lose like cap space? I mean no, no, not cap space they give up picks.
Speaker 4: Or anything like that.
Speaker 3: No, it was just straight signing.
Speaker 4: I think you like that move the most.
Speaker 3: I like it for who for Dallas? So I don't hate it for Dallas. I think they take a small step back. But I wouldn't have paid Jalen Brunson what the Knicks paid him. So if the option was pay Jalen bruns In twenty seven million a year or let him walk, I'm fine with it. But that the one I like the most for the team getting the player is I like the Hawks getting to Jontey Murray. Okay, I know they paid a lot for it, but he's a perfect compliment to Trey Young. I think it absolutely works. They did pay a premium, but they gotta They're fighting for their lives in the Eastern Conference. They needed to make a big move. Jontay Murray is young. He was an All Star. He was twenty one to nine and eight last year. He is an excellent defender. I like him. I'm ambivalent on the Knicks trade, and the Rudy Gobert trade is the single most egregious overpay in NBA history. You gave up five players and five first round picks. It's madness. It's utter madness that they did that. I'm shocked by it. I don't even know if Gobert and Karl Anthony Towns can play together. I'm sure they can in the regular season. But I like, I don't love, but I like what the Hawks did. I'm fine with what the Knicks did. I think what the Timberwolves did is an abomination. All right, what's last?
Speaker 4: Okay? People are pissed about you putting Duncan over Kobe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me explain this real quick. So Duncan's spot on the top fifty list hasn't been revealed, But the fact that he hasn't been revealed and we put Kobe at six means Duncan is somewhere in that top five, so go ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I can't lie. I'm kind of confused about that as well. Oh okay, a lot of people argue that Kobe's better than Lebron. Okay, you don't even have him above Tim Duncan. Yeah, so defend yourself here.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Anyone that argues Kobe is better than loses their right to give NBA opinions. Okay, I'm not saying you, but you're right some of your friends. I used to have to argue with those idiots about this. Here's the thing. Everyone agrees that, you know what, they were both great defenders. I would argue Lebron was the better defender, but let's just call the defensive wash. Everyone agrees Lebron's a better rebounder and a better passer. Yeah, nobody argues that. So it's like, yes, but Kobe's the better shooter, except Lebron' is a better shooter. Nick, No, he's not. Just well, he is a better far better field goal percentage. Okay, that's because Lebron shots come at the rim. What about threes? Lebron James is a better in the playoffs and regular season three point shooter. Than Kobe Bryant. Look it up, Okay, but Lebron couldn't score like Kobe. Lebron James Averages averages more points in the playoffs and in the regular season than Kobe Bryant. Oh, nick, but Kobe was more clutch than Lebron. Kobe Bryant. Who you want to go to the clutch most clutchiest clutch clutch stuff playoff buzzer beaters Kobe has won. Lebron has five, which is of course the most in NBA history. The Kobe vers Lebron stuff is nonsense. The Kobe versus Duncan stuff. I will listen to the argument. However, they and this is the part where Kobe the Kobe folks frustrate me. They're like, oh, my god, but Tim Duncan had Greg Popovich and Kobe Bryant had Phil Jackson. Oh yeah, but Duncan had had Man Hu and Tony Parker, and Kobe had Kill O'Neal. They have the same number of championships. Duncan has one extra MVP. Duncan has one extra Finals MVP. Kobe, in the heart of his prime, missed the playoffs and then had back to back first round exits. Duncan never missed the playoffs, won fifty games every single year, and in five and seven didn't have another top seventy five teammate. In three, his only top seventy five teammate was David Robinson, and Robinson was in the last year of his career, averaging eight point spraan Tim Duncan, also, by the way, is as great as the defender Kobe was. Duncan is the clear better defender, one of the four greatest defensive players ever, and the greatest teammate. He and Steph Curri are the two greatest teammates of the modern era. I'm not listen. I have Kobe six, I have Duncan, you know, not far ahead of him. I don't want to spoil the list. So it's not like it's not arguable, but it is the arguments for that Kobe folks make, which is that Duncan had the better coach, the better organization, and the better teammates. The Spurs were a nothing organization. Popovich had done nothing in this league, and David Robinson, as great as he was, had been to an NBA finals. Munch Let's want a championship. Kobe went to the Los Angeles Lakers with a six time champion head coach and Sequille O'Neill. So I'm not taking anything away from Kobe. I think Duncan is fairly out of them. But I went too long. I'm taking away our time to talk tennis. So we'll be right back.
Speaker 6: We're so done with New Year, New you. This year, it's more you on bumbo. More of you shamelessly sending playlists, especially that one filled with show tunes. More of you finding geminis because you know you always liked them. More of you dating with intention because you know what you want and you know what We love that for you. Someone else will too, be more you this year and find them on bumble.
Speaker 3: Durant tweeting about chet from last night.
Speaker 4: What's he got to say?
Speaker 3: I see you cooking seven first day on the job was success. Love the kick at jeded holmgering because he was wearing Katie's new shoes. Oh, I'm telling you, Durant back to He's not gonna do it, but they could make it work. They have all the picks in the world.
Speaker 4: And the nets need that right.
Speaker 3: The nets need the picks. They could they and Durant listen Durant has done a lot of stuff, and then we'll get into the B block. But Durant's done a lot of stuff, intentionally or not that are very similar to Lebron's career arc. Starting a small market got him to a finals at age twenty two, looked like, oh, they're gonna be there every year. Never got back, got dissolution there? Left Where did he go to a team that had an MVP caliber player who had already won a championship without him? For Lebron, that's Miami. For Durant, it's Golden State. Now, those weren't the same situations, they were similar stays there for UH wins two championships there, and somehow it feels like AH probably could have won more. But when two championships there and left, Lebron goes to the Lakers, sets up shop on you know, one coast business empire and basketball has someone another star come play with. Durant goes to Brooklyn, sets up shop. Is in a star coming? What's the difference? Durant skipped the most important step for Lebron, the homecoming, going back to well, yes, of course, the champion of the Lakers put Lebron between Miami, and the Lakers went back to Cleveland wins the title. When Lebron went back to Cleveland, what did they have a young All Star caliber point guard who had never played in a playoff game, irving Shay Gilgess Alexander What did Cleveland also just got a top two pick that they could either keep or trade for an All Star? What the thunder just gave Chet Holmgren? It it fixed man and I it would be the only thing place he could go that would be met with universal approval. Yeah, so I don't I don't think it's gonna happen, but I do find it interesting. Not nearly as interesting as I find Wimbledon, though. Right now, so let's get going with the second segment of the show, Welcome back in Demons. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: You got three games in one segment coming up, really.
Speaker 3: And one of them involves talking tennis yep.
Speaker 5: And the first one is, yeah, I think this is a new one actually tennis quarter.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a new one. But it's gonna be here to stay, because you know why, Before I even before you even answer the ask me the question getting off the plane from Chicago Sunday, before I even get to baggage claim. Guy stops me. He's like, hey, saw you on the flight. Just want of this you and thank you. I'm like, yeah for what for talking tennis? Man?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I see that on Twitter a lot too. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know why because because there is a dearth it's just me and mad Dog Russo of people that want to talk tennis on major platforms. All right, go ahead?
Speaker 4: Uh yeah. So apparently when Wimbledon is going.
Speaker 3: On, Wimbledon's going on.
Speaker 4: Found that out this morning. Yeah, pretty wild. They're changing it up now and they're playing on grass.
Speaker 3: Okay, Wimbledon's always been on grass, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: Okay, I thought it was new.
Speaker 5: But yes, your show. I can't stop you from talking about it. Oh what would you like to talk about?
Speaker 3: First of all this weekend? If you said scene the Curios Citypas match, you would have become a tennis fan.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: So Curios is like wildly talented but incredibly emotional. Underachieved is the fact of the matter. Cizzy Boss has his own issues, Like he takes these long bathroom breaks which people feel like are really rest breaks.
Speaker 4: But what do you do?
Speaker 3: Like He's like, I got you to the bathroom rests, So Curios was talking mad trash to him, and he got in Citipas's head and all of a sudden, Citipas is like firing balls into the crowd, almost domed in old lady.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: And then also on a couple points instead of trying to like cause in tennis you just like try to paint the corners, hit it where the guy is. He was just hitting it right atos. It was unbelievable, and Curios won and it was dope as hell, and then Averward Citypaz like I think he was a bully in high school and all this stuff. But now we are, we are on the precipice of what could be an amazing semi final and then final. So right now as we're recording Rafa, Rafa and a doll, we've talked about him. Yeah, the fret, you know, the clay court legend also got twenty two majors. Uh. He's in a dog fight right now in the quarters against Taylor Fritz in America. Curios just won as we're recording the first set in a match he absolutely should win if they both win, and I believe Rafa hopefully can come back. We have Rafa versus Curios in the Semis biggest match of Curios' life by a mile, by a mile, and Rafa's banged up. If he wins and he has a chance to win Wimbledon, it changes his career forever. If Rafa wins, and Rafa after the year that he has had the idea that he might at this point in his career become I think it's the first guy since Rod Labor to win all four Grand Slams in a calendar year, because he won the Australian, he won the French. But on the other side of the bracket is Djokovic, and Djokovic has been the best player of the last eight years, even better than Rafa. And so we could get a Rafa Djokovic final or a Curios Djokovic final. Either way, it'll be out of this world. And I know you're not into the tennis, but because I knew we were going to talk about this, I want to just describe to you how utterly dominant these guys have been. So I did some research this morning, some numbers for you. Okay, So since two thousand and four, right, there have been seventy five major championships play, Okay, so that's the Australian Open, the French Open, Wimbledon, the US Open. Those are four tournaments that matter. Since two thousand and four, there have been seventy five. This is the seventy six, the one right now, Djokovic, Federer and Nadal, the big three. Okay, those are the guys I've been telling you about. Federer at this point's basically done, and Nadal should be done, but he's still somehow killing it. Of those seventy five majors, those three guys before I even give you the number, leg little context. Prior to those three guys existing, the most majors anyone had ever won was fourteen. From four to right now, been seventy five majors played. Those three guys have won sixty one of them. They've won sixty one majors of the last seventy five. Of the last seventy five majors played, there have been five where at least one of them was not in the final. Seventy of the seventy five at least one of them in the final, and most of them it's been two of them playing each other. So like Djokovic has made thirty one major finals, won twenty of them, and six of his eleven losses were against Federer and an adult, but that's not even as impressive as the other guys. Federer's also twenty majors with eleven losses in the final, eleven second places, but ten of those losses came to Nadal or Joker. And then Nadal has twenty two wins and eight losses, and seven of those came to Federer or Djokovic. And we might get it again. We might get a doll Djokovic again. When the doll's trying to go for the first see you know true Grand Slam. I think it's a drod labor. I know only one guy's done it. It's exciting, man, it's great. High level tennis is great. I know you look dump, you look stupefied by what I'm saying right now. But the numbers are impossible to understand.
Speaker 5: So like golf, do they get do they get jackets or do they get like a like a no, they.
Speaker 3: Get like so like second place. Let me show you real quick. It's pretty cool for Wimbledon trophies because the winner's trophy is unbelievable and the second place trophy is just like a plate. So that's what the winner gets, that's what second place gets. It looks it is pretty cool you get something.
Speaker 4: I like that a lot more than the green jacket.
Speaker 3: The green jacket is kind of bougie, you know, country clubbing. Yeah, no, no, no, it's great. Man. I want to go to Wimbledon so bad one day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you want to?
Speaker 3: I look it up? Hold on, sorry, I know there's like eight minutes on tennis, but I got it. Do you want to know what the Wimbledon final tickets are going for? Right now?
Speaker 5: People are out here buying Wimbledon tickets instead of buying a PS five or something.
Speaker 4: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: The Wimbledon Men's final. What do you think the cheapest ticket is the cheapest ticket to get in Lisbon? Give it a guess?
Speaker 4: Nosebleeds or do they even know? They won't?
Speaker 3: I mean it's not it's not like it's not a football stitty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm gonna say fifteen hundred.
Speaker 3: Bucks eighty two hundred euros, so it's like ten thousand dollars the cheapest ticket if you want to sit next to oh that you can't even sit next to the Royal box anymore. Who do you think sits in.
Speaker 4: The royal box at queen.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you bet your ass, Yeah, you bet your ass. And if she can't make it, remember the royal family goes. Okay, all right, So when people see, see or hear this, they'll know if Curios are not all of one. We are rooting for Curios and and all to win, and we are rooting for the winner of Curios and a doll to beat Djokovic. We're not Djokovic fans. We like Federer, we love Nadol. Curios is a guy you would enjoy rooting for it. Forget Jokovic. Not a big Jokovic fan. Okay, that was a solid eight minutes on Wimbledon.
Speaker 4: I didn't think you could do that.
Speaker 3: Well, it's tennis. That's amazing, all right, next next game, Sorry about that, guys, let's go.
Speaker 4: Nick makes it right.
Speaker 5: We're gonna talk about tanking in the NBA seasons months away, and it seems like half the league is tanking already.
Speaker 3: You know why, because they want vic Victor I pronounced Victor when whim ban Yama. Have you seen this guy?
Speaker 4: And guessing is like a seven foot or something.
Speaker 3: He's a seven foot three inch French kid. Let me just show you him real quick and then we can do it.
Speaker 4: I might have seen a clip.
Speaker 3: Actually, oh, I mean the I mean this guy is Okay, you asked the question, and while I am, you're gonna watch these highlights of this freak show. All right.
Speaker 5: So the Spurs pacers in jazz or trading, trading their starts for picks, rockets and thunders, Rockets, Thunder and Kings are basically making no moves. The Blazers and Knicks are kind of fake trying right now, but they'll be taking soon.
Speaker 4: How do we stop thanking in the NBA?
Speaker 3: Okay, So here's the thing. While I answer, you, just go ahead and watch. You'll be able to tell which one is the seven foot three inch French freak that's gonna go number one overall next year. Here's the deal. I don't mind what the Spurs did. I don't mind trading away your best player and then trying what Here's what I don't like beinching quality players because you're trying to lose that If the guy's on your team and he helps you win, you should play it. But if you're just saying, we know we can't compete this year. So We're gonna try our hardest to win every game. We're just not gonna be able to do it because our players stink, and they stink intentionally. I'm good with it, Like I'm actually okay with that way of going about it. The other factor is this, the NBA changed the odds. What because you don't know what the how they flatten the odds? What if you have the worst record in the NBA, what percent chance do you think you have of getting the number.
Speaker 4: One overall pick?
Speaker 3: Like give it a guess, Like what because you know it's a lottery.
Speaker 4: So they fourteen if you're the worst team, the worst.
Speaker 3: Team, they've flattened it. So the bottom four teams, they all have a fourteen percent chance or it's fourteen, fourteen, twelve.
Speaker 4: How do they pick it?
Speaker 3: It's literally ping pong balls. Okay, And so point is this, You can try to tank, but you still have fourteen percent is one and seven. If you have the worst record in basketball, you still have a six out of seven chance that you're not going to get the number one pick and a fifty percent chance that you're not even going to get a top three pick or top four pick. Now they've changed it so it's risky. What I don't like is when you have you could compete, and instead you bench your quality players because you're trying to lose. But I think the NBA has done what they can. I don't think tanking is big as big of a deal as other people do. I'm also more interested in Wimbledon than I am in tanking, which twy I spent more time on it.
Speaker 4: All right, last game though, this this guy's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, he's pretty good. I mean's a nineteen year old seven foot three in French kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he's pretty good. He's got a little little Bois game. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So this or that, Yeah, so much has been happening in free agency.
Speaker 4: So we put a bunch of this or that's together. Okay, we'll do a Yeah, we'll do as mean as you can get to at the time.
Speaker 5: Left, So starting with big extensions, bigger no brainer Booker or Jokic.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're equal, no brainers, they're ondred percent. They both one hundred percent. Have to get the max, the super max, all of it. Yeah, they're both all NBA caliber guys. I don't think MVP, but it's clearly all NBA caliber guys, those are both one hundred percent no brainers. All right, go brighter future, Zion or Job. That one's so hard. Joh's accomplished more. Josh sneaky Lee, to me, is also a health risk because of the way he plays. I think Zion's ceiling is higher, but given what Jaw's accomplished, You've got to give the nod to Ja. But if Zion stays healthy, he will win a league.
Speaker 4: I was about to say, you think the way I guess Zion seems like a.
Speaker 3: No of Zion's is the biggest injury risk. My point is, I actually think Josh sneakily is a pretty big injury risk as well.
Speaker 4: Right, I'm waiting to happen.
Speaker 3: Just because of the style of his play. But I'll give it to Joe, even though I adore Zion.
Speaker 4: Next more painful uh Zach Lavine or Bradley Beal.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think the bal extension is a killer, and I like Bradley a lot. I know him a little bit. But a quarter billion for Bradley Beal when he's probably gonna ask out in a year and he has given no indications gonna ask out, I just think he probably is that and then it becomes a hard contract. The more painful one is Bradley Beal next.
Speaker 4: Better Bet Garland or Simmons Simons.
Speaker 3: I think Simons, No, no, no, no, you're fine already. Uh, Darius Garland Darry Anthony Simons is a bit of an overpay to me. I think Darius Garland's really really good and he's gonna look keep it better alongside Lebron.
Speaker 4: Lebron goes back in a year.
Speaker 3: Okay, do we still have more?
Speaker 4: Do we do have a few?
Speaker 5: Lets do it next under the radar, under the radar signings, bigger impact.
Speaker 4: Sorry, so this one. Dante DiVincenzo de devin Cenzo. Okay, Dante DiVincenzo.
Speaker 3: This is where you know I'm Italian Demonse happens not to be and it showed there. That's okay, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Or Bruce Brown.
Speaker 3: I liked Dante DiVincenzo, and I think on the Wars with a bunch open threes, he's gonna look good. But I called around the league because I couldn't believe how cheap he was, and a lot of the smart people around the league said it doesn't measure out well. Okay, and so Bruce Brown also like Bruce Brown as an eighth man for Denver. I think that works all right.
Speaker 4: Next okay, more likely to swing title.
Speaker 3: P J.
Speaker 4: Tucker or Joe Ingles.
Speaker 3: Joe and Joe Ingles is gonna hit a big three in a big spot for Philly. I'm sorry for Milwaukee. At some point.
Speaker 4: PJ.
Speaker 3: Tucker is gonna be too old. He played well in these playoffs. But I'll say Joe Ingles for Milwaukee.
Speaker 4: Next okay. Better, uh, worse move Marvin Bagley or Lou Dort.
Speaker 3: All right, Marvin Bagley three for thirty eight or Lou Dort's incomprehensible five for eighty eight. I actually think Marvin Bagley was the worst move because I thought Marvin Bagley was gonna get one year eight million Dort. OKC has to spend money. You have to get to salary cap, but there's also a minimum spend, and they got all guys on rookie contracts. Dort's played hard for him. He's an excellent defender, He's turned into a passable shooter. They're both overpays Bagley's is worse, all right.
Speaker 5: Last better role player JaVale McGee or Gary Payton.
Speaker 3: Gary Payton's the better player. But what Dallas did was smart, which is when you can get like think about the money Rudy Gobert commands and the draft picks he can, you can get sixty percent of him, which is Javaial McGee for ten percent of the cost. So I think that's a smart signing by Dallas. But Gary Payton Junior is a better player and exactly what Portland needs. All Right, that was a long segment, but it was worth it, jam packed with info. They won't tell me what we're doing in the C block, Demanse says he has a tail from my trip to Chicago, which I can only imagine involves something I did at the casino, which I was at till seven in the morning, my first day in Chicago.
Speaker 4: Yet a hangover night.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll discuss, we'll do that next. What's right, ohoh, Cura is up two sets to nothing, so he's gonna you gotta win three sets. He's gonna win even though Djokovic was down two sets nothing and came storming back yesterday. He also did the long bathroom break thing and then it was totally good.
Speaker 4: Are you serious right now?
Speaker 3: You don't get to you can't. It's not like time out. You did no coach like and these matches are exhausting, bro. Yeah, and at some point you're allowed to go to the bathroom, but sometimes they take a little longer and then said, what are they doing? They're regrouping?
Speaker 4: Of course, Rafa.
Speaker 3: Raffa's got to win this second, stef.
Speaker 4: Hey man, let's just get to let's get to it.
Speaker 3: Okay, you want to all right, welcome back in. We'll right with me. Right story, all right, listen. I went to Chicago to see two great sports media personalities and two of my best friends in the world, Danny Parkins and Mark Carmon. They've both I think, shown up at various times on our Top fifty players last fifty years.
Speaker 4: Out down shot those boys.
Speaker 3: And bad moment for me. Danny is my best friend of twenty years. He has an infant, a two month old and a two and a half year old. Ye As soon as I got there, because I surprised Danny, I told his wife I was coming. As soon as I got there, I saw his two and a half year old, Owen, and I said, buddy, so uncle Nick, I haven't seen you since you were Eli's age. That's Danny's baby. And Danny looked at me and goes, uh.
Speaker 4: You've never met him.
Speaker 3: Oh, boy, job by uncle Nick? H kids almost three? Just help me. So not a great job by me. We had a great weekend. There's something from the weekend you want to mock me about. Baby, My wife's walking down the stairs. I'm gonna be able to take you to work today, baby, So we'll just wait one second while we finished this up. All right, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 4: So you went to Chicago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and now this actually has nothing to do with the casino, unfortunately, really well fortunately for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I crushed it in this five ten.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you did. That's probably why you thought that this was gonna Yeah. So you you ended up going to a steakhouse.
Speaker 5: I hear, Oh some of the bitch you went to a You went to a five star establishment and or was wearing a pink jumpsuit that you might have worn.
Speaker 4: On like one of the podcasts you might have gotten for Father's Day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so you went there and what happened today? What happened when you when you went in?
Speaker 3: Oh you're would your mom tell you about this?
Speaker 4: Somebody? Yeah? Somebody, Oh oh, and she's walking down the stairs.
Speaker 3: You want to join us for this? You want to at least sit alongside so you can be heard on. Okay, So here's what I have. First of all, it was yes, it was a It was a you guys have seen it on the show. Is an all pink sweatsuit from Scotch and Soda. It's a very nice outfit. It's what I wore on the plane.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: Like one of the things I like to do. I like to dress super casual and sit in first class and just have people kind of will be like, why is he up here? It's like, don't you worry about that. That's neither here or there. That's that's just you know.
Speaker 4: All right. So I'm finish. I'm about to tell the guy. I'm telling everybody what happened right now. Okay.
Speaker 5: So this guy goes into my Maestros Masstros whatever you call it, Steakhouts five star.
Speaker 4: So I was to step in and they're like you dude, you can't come in. You got this pink jumpson. What are you doing?
Speaker 5: And he's like, yo, thus far the story is accurate. Yeah, And then he's like, yo, do you guys, just check my history.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 3: I is, wait, check check.
Speaker 4: Check my history, check my credentials. Whatever you told them.
Speaker 3: I thought you check my Instagram, which I definitely check my check my Instagram. Yeah, I told him to look up my customer profile.
Speaker 4: Yeah I am.
Speaker 5: It's like, I'm sure you guys can let me in, and they're like, nobody, sorry, you still can't get in.
Speaker 4: And then how did it go after that?
Speaker 3: Like, well, all right, friends, he's saying is accurate to this point. So I walked in and I had a feeling. I'm like, man, Mastros has a pretty strict dress code and I am wearing a hot pink sweatsuit. However, I am. I go to Mastros in New York City a lot. I spend a lot of money there. And again, I I sound like an asshole here, but there's just the truth. They even like on the check like they have a little line item that says that literally says Mastro's VIP, and they take it. You know, they give me a few things off the bill because I'm such a good customer and I know that they have that in their system. So when the guy's like, we can't seat you, I'm like, I bet you can't. He's like, sir, we can't, and he like points and like they literally have a sign that says dress code strictly enforced. I'm like, can you just put my name in there? And he's like, I can, but I don't think that's gonna help. I'm like, I bet it will, and he puts it in and he's like, sir, we really do appreciate your business, but I can't let you in. He's like, if it was just the sweat shirt, maybe I could. He's like, put your wearing sweat sweatsuit. And so I was like, all right, like she'll be it. So I went back to the car and I was like, and well, the car was still at Valet and I'm like, guys, don't park it. And the guys at Valet were like they wouldn't let you in. Huh. I'm like no, it's like and that one of them says it says like most of his friend. He was like, we thought they might not. I'm like, we should have get it's.
Speaker 5: Like, could have given the equivalent that you try to flame me for of me going to the back to the NBA store to return my jersey.
Speaker 4: It's quite like, Hey, I'm clearly a basketball player. Okay, I should be able to return this jersey. Don't you see my physic it's going to take it back for me.
Speaker 3: It's not quite the same, but I understand. So then I had to make a choice because I really wanted to get Mestros because it is a great steakhout. Do I stand on pride and just go somewhere else? By the way, it's Friday night in Chicago. We don't have reservations elsewhere, yeah, Or I just come from the airport. I literally have clothes in the car. Do I just change? And I thought about it. I would have changed, and I changed. Yeah, And I went came back in, and the guy who denied me entry was no longer your pride.
Speaker 4: Thing was just like, you're not about to make me change on my clothes and exactly right.
Speaker 3: But then I did because I wanted to eat there. So now this is the part of the story. Your mom doesn't know. So we come back in and uh, he's not there anymore. And I just walked back and act like I hadn't been there before. It's like, hey, Nick Wright, eight o'clock reservation, and this lady looks it up, But there's this different lady who was standing there who saw the whole first. There's two hostesses, so Hostess two is the one helping me. She didn't see any of the first thing. Hostess one, who's just watching, did see it. Post Who's like, oh, yeah, no problem, we have your table already. Sweet, I don't want to deal with any of this. But now the other hostess is walking us to the table. She seats us sit down, and she said, for the record, I thought your sweatsuit was pretty fly. And my argument is dress codes should be yes, you can have a dress code, with the exception being did you put is it an outfit? Did you put time and thought into it?
Speaker 4: And okay, I don't know about time and thought. It's a sweatsuit, but it was.
Speaker 3: It matched, it went together, it was I'm not trying to sound like an asshole again, it was expensive, like I'm not I'm not there in basketball shorts. But so then we sit down all of a sudden, all of a sudden, they we ordered our drinks and before you've even ordered appetizers, there's like three appetizers you brought to the table. And I'm like, I told the person Brianna was like, we didn't order these, and he's like, no, it's from our manager. Like, oh my guy, it did look me up in the system. But then they flamed me. They flamed me, buddy. So like they were all nice. They gave us some free stuff and they have a do you know what a cosmo is? No, cosmo is a.
Speaker 4: Drink, but it's oh yeah, Cosmo.
Speaker 3: It's hot pink. They brought me a Cosmo and said that's that you couldn't wear your sweatsuit.
Speaker 4: We thought you might enjoy this amazing.
Speaker 3: But you know what, And I said to the guy because when I was leaving. As we were leaving, he came over to apologize and I said, you know what, sir, that was a little lit. But I was like, you know what, sir, I've thought about this. You were correct, because I can tell you this much right now. Had you let me in and then denied someone else that maybe didn't look like me or didn't have my customer profile, I would have been well, I would have been angry about that. If I saw them let me in and then let someone then deny somebody else that looked different than me, I would have I said, I thought about it. Man. It was like I was wrong, you were right. You handled this exactly the way you should have. And I apologize. I apologize. You know I'm not a big apology guy. I apologize. I made it right, your god dog right. I made it alright. Now I gotta go. I gotta watch tennis, alright, so you have a good show. Talk to you guys this weekend.