Speaker 1: How many pumpkin spice lattes have you enjoyed since October arrived. I'm not much of a coffee drinker myself, but I gotta say a pumpkin spice latte seems like it's an autumn requirement, just like pulling out my favorite sweater in the boots that have been hiding in the back of my closet all summer. September was still a little too warm. But now that October has arrived and with it the misty mornings where I live in cooler evenings. Oh, I am all about the fall traditions. For nearly forty years now, October has been recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. That's the tradition we're going to speak about today. Many incredible advancements in detection and treatment have been made over these past forty years, and I have a very special guests to talk about those from a very personal perspective. Emmy Robac is a two time Emmy Award winning journalist covering the latest headlines for nearly three decades now. Most recently, she was the co anchor of ABC News GMA three What You Need to Know, and was previously the news anchor for Good Morning America and the co anchor of ABC News twenty twenty. Amy has interviewed ah so many newsmakers over the year's countless numbers. She has had exclusive headline making interviews with the likes of Hunter Biden, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, the Turpin Sisters, Tanya Harding and Monica Lewinski, covered major national and global news events. She was the first television journalist to ever report live from the Galapagos Islands and went to Iceland with the world's most elite ice climbers. She went to Tanzania on the poaching epidemic and its impact across the globe. In twenty fifteen, Amy wrote a New York Times bestseller titled Better, How I Let Go of Control, held onto hope and found Joy in My Darkest Hour, about her unexpected journey with breast cancer after being diagnosed following an on air mammogram on GMA. After her recovery, Amy has devoted much of her free time to fitness and adventure. She's a five time marathoner as well as an avid mountain climber. Her most recent adventure is her new podcast, Amy and TJ, where she hosts and shares an executive production role with TJ Holmes. They make a formidable broadcasting team with decades of experience delivering headline news, use and captivating viewers nationwide.
Speaker 2: The duo will.
Speaker 1: Get behind the microphone to explore meaningful conversations about current events, pop culture, and everything in between. Nothing is off limits. Amy and TJ is guaranteed to be informative, entertaining, and above all, authentic. It marks the first time Amy and TJ speak publicly since their own names became a part of the headlines. I am so fortunate to be able to have these conversations, and more fortunate still that I have such amazing podcast sponsors that make it all possible. Have you been looking for a milk replacement because you have dairy allergies or sensitivities. Well, I found one that's absolutely amazing. It's Sherry's hazel Cream, made from Oregon hazelnuts. This plant based milk stands out from the competitors because it's designed for cooking and baking. It all started because Sherry, who could no longer tolerate dairy products, wanted to make gravy, but not gravy that tasted like coconut or oatmeal. So by enlisting the help of her engineer husband and a friend that's a food scientist, and through much trial and error, Sherry's hazel Cream was born because of a special roasting process. It's very neutral and taste and works with a large variety of recipes. It comes sealed in shelf stable, easy to use pre measured portion pods that you place into your blender, add varying amounts of water to make milk cream or even condensed milk for pies and other mouth watering desserts. It's delicious and mashed potatoes and cakes, in creamy soups and even casserole dishes. Visit Sherry Please Hazelcream dot com to learn more about this product, to read Sherry's story, and to place your order. It's at Sherry'shazelcream dot com, c h e Ris hazel Cream dot com. Use code Love twenty four for ten percent off your order that Shehery's Hazel Cream and love twenty four with me on Love Someone Today is the incredibly beautiful and so smart and so on point, Amy Roebuck. Amy, your interviews that I have seen you are always so on point, Like how do you stay that laser focused.
Speaker 2: You're very sweet, Delilah. Thank you so much. I'm so in awe of being with you today. By the way, I just want to point that out. I have loved you. I have listened to you for as long as I can remember, So it's an honor to be here with you today. I do my homework, I do my research, and I actually love learning. I'm always curious, I'm always wanting to know more. So it's it actually hasn't felt like work almost three decades now. It's always just been doing what I love. I think you can understand that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I love learning and I love being curious, but I couldn't stay in your interviews. You are laser focused. You're like a surgeon. You're like going for that. I am going to get to that jugular thing, right. You're not gonna throw me off, because a lot of the people I've seen your interview kind of try to throw you off the tough questions.
Speaker 2: Don't They always try to do that. It's always about anticipating what they might say. But I feel like if you've done enough interviews, you've learned asking the first question is usually the obvious thing. It's about the follow up, So you really have to listen to what they're saying to call them on it when they're trying to divert you or distract you or not answer your questquestion. And that is, to me, the thing that I focused most on, And you know how I learned it from. I watched Diane Sawyer.
Speaker 1: She was the best.
Speaker 2: He is the queen of the follow up. And sometimes it was the most simple follow up, like really, she would just tilt her head and just say things like huh and allow the silence people need to fill it. Yeah, knew how to call people on something without making them feel stupid, but they felt the need to respond. And I watched her do what she did, and she was brilliant at it, and I always aspire to be more like her.
Speaker 1: Well, I have purposefully in my career and in my show tried to avoid anything political or anything divisive. People can can watch you or they can get that all day long, and at night, you know, they kind of need to relax and unwind and unburden. But there was one time where somebody who's very political wanted to be on my show, requested to be on my show, and I'm not going to name any names. But I'm like, okay, but understand, there is not going to be any political conversation. If you want to be a guest, I'm going to be talking about matters of the heart. I'm going to be talking about your relationships, okay. And every time I would ask a question, she would say, I'm so glad you asked that question, Delilah, and then she would bring in this big old political diatrap of nonsense, of gobbledegoop, and I'm like, I just want to know, like, did you take your daughter to work on take your daughter to work day?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, can you share a favorite memory you have with your baby girl when she was little? I'm glad you ask that question? And then boom, you know, I want to talk about house build number, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: What, isn't that so patronizing? Though I always look, some people are more willing than others to be authentic, and I always knew when people weren't willing to be they were going to sink themselves. I didn't have an agenda, but they did. And I do think when people come in with agendas it ends up undoing them because people are smarter than I think some of these folks give them credit for. People can recognize authenticity, they can recognize manipulation. So sometimes you just let people, for lack of a better term, hang themselves. I don't need to do anything, I don't need to yell, I don't need to do a gotcha. It's just let people show.
Speaker 1: Their true colors.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, in that particular instance, what was a twenty minute interview was edited down to like two minutes.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to give you the platform, no.
Speaker 1: No, And it's turned out to be a conversation about carving pumpkins is what it turned in, which was very sweet. But we are going to be authentic today and we're going to talk about boobies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, about them for a while now, and we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna make you you, you know what you did by being so courageous as to have the mammogram and let people know publicly, you know, on the show, you made it okay to talk about something that My grandma was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was a teenager, a young adult, and my program director said, you have to call it women's cancer.
Speaker 2: That's awful.
Speaker 1: If you're going to mention her on the air, or if somebody calls in your show and is struggling, you have to call it women's cancer. We don't want to use the word breast.
Speaker 2: On the air. That's almost unthinkable now. But that's where we are coming from, and that's how much ground we have to make up, and that's why we are where we are, I believe.
Speaker 1: So when you decided to take this on, I'm sure you weren't thinking at the time. I know you weren't thinking at the time that it was going to bring about the diagnosis that you got. How old were you when you were diagnosed?
Speaker 2: I was forty and I actually was approached to do this for a work assignment for Good Morning America. I worked for them at the time. I was actually a brand new reporter there and they knew my age and at that point, thankfully we've come back to this. It's been ten years of women getting confusing headlines about when they should have their baseline mammogram. But at the time, it was forty and so I had just turned forty and they thought, ah, perfect, We'll have Amy go do this mammogram in a Mamma van in the middle of Times Square to show women that it's not that scary. It's not that painful, and it can be quick and easy, and it saves lives. So I thought I was doing a service for other women. At the time, I had all of my grandparents alive. My mom's one of nine, my dad's one of six Catholic Midwestern families, and no one in my family had breast cancer, not all the cousins, I had, all the aunt no one. So I completely thought that I was invincible to an extent because my grandparents were in their nineties. I was feeling good and.
Speaker 1: You hadn't noticed a lump, you hadn't done any self detection. You were just going in there, going I'm doing my job. I'm helping other women. I'm doing a public service. I'm breaking ground here, doing something a little bit bold to show women that.
Speaker 2: This is good exactly. And I was nervous. I said no at first because I actually felt like I would be As much as I love authenticity, I felt like maybe it was an authentic of me to do this because I thought, I don't have a connection to this disease. This isn't a cause I was fighting for or something I was thinking of. So I went into Robin Roberts, who was and is a breast cancer thriver. And I actually went to her and I said, hey, I don't know that I'm the right person for this because I have no connection to this disease. And she said to me, if you walk into that mammothan and you get that mammogram on live national television, you will save a life. You will convince a woman who was dragging her feet wanting to postpone this to go ahead and make her appointment, and she will make it, and she will find her breast cancer and you will save her life.
Speaker 1: And you had no idea it was going to be me that it was going to be I don't know what your faith is. I'm guessing if your big miss midwestern Catholic family, you were raised with people with very strong faith. But you gotta know that was the divine saying, Okay, how am I going to get Amy to get in and get this exam because she needs it. I know, let's have her do it on national TV.
Speaker 2: It's amazing because I had been at NBC. I was on the Today Show. I loved that show. Things happened where I felt like I had to leave, and I was already in kind of a tailspin to be at a new network, reinventing my career, learning new things, and when that happened, when I got that diagnosis a few weeks later, that that mammogram and that Mamma Van led to a ultimately a stage two invasive breast cancer diagnosis. I mean this cancer. I had two tumors and one the cancer had already spread to my lympnoes. I'm thinking here, I am like a runner, a healthy young woman with no history of breast cancer. To have that diagnosis was shocking, to say the very least. But I also absolutely said, holy crap, I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be when I'm supposed to be here, and when you start to doubt where you are a good, bad, ugly sad. I really believe, after having been in that position, that were exactly where we need to be and I needed to be in that Mamma Van in the middle of Times Square working for Good Morning America that morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was orchestrated. Yeah, okay, question here, because you know my mind is all about relationships. Who's the first person you called after you got the diagnosis?
Speaker 2: My mom, my mom, of course, And I could barely talk. I was alone when I got the diagnosis, so I immediately called her, and she will tell you. She's told me she had a bad feeling. And the moment the phone rang, it was as if she knew. And all I could blurt out was, Mom, I have breast cancer. And her response was, Dad, and I are getting on a flight right now. They lived in Atlanta. I lived in New York and my parents were at my apartment by eight pm that evening, and they didn't leave for eight months. They actually moved in and in a New York City apartment. If you haven't lived here, you'll know that they aren't exactly large. We made it work, and thank God for them, Thank God for them because me going to work and me going to treatment, I was able to do all of that only because of their generosity and their sacrifice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you know this, when your mom, it's not a sacrifice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's what you do. Yeah, I know that, it's what you do.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned earlier, and this is true with me because I got my first one at forty, my first mamma grandma at forty. I went back at forty two, I missed a year, went back at forty two and they're like, oh, no, we don't do them until fifty now. And I'm like what and they said, yeah, no, your insurance won't cover it. They've changed that. And then when I went back in at fifty, my doctor Margaret said, why have you not been getting these? And I said, ah, because when I showed up to sign up for mine, they told me not until fifty. She's like, oh, yeah, they did change that. Well, let's back to forty now. So was that all about money? I mean, I know you probably can't answer that, but that had to have been.
Speaker 2: I will absolutely answer it. I am on a soapbox here about this because I've never been more frustrated seeing them confuse everyone. And by the way, who wants to go get a mamm or grammar? No one. So if you tell me I can wait until I'm fifty, I'm waiting until I'm fifty. I mean, my brother's a physician and he might have another opinion, but I'm a busy woman. How many women are busy taking care of other people in their lives and putting food on the table. So yeah, if you tell me I can wait, I'm going to wait. But my cancer was actually they it was a slow growing it was an estrogen positive cancer. But they say that I had gotten it absolutely in my thirties, and thank god I caught it when I did.
Speaker 1: So if you had waited, if you if you had gone in and they had said, oh, no, we're not doing them, we're not doing baseline up four. Do we do baseline at fifty? I wouldn't be having this conversation with you because you would be dead.
Speaker 2: I would one hundred percent. And I have two girlfriends who were initially diagnosed in one at twenty eight with stage four metastatic. You know, she is seven years in her journey now and she's fighting for her life every day. And I lost one of my other best friends last Thanksgiving. She was diagnosed around the same time as me. And you know, early detection saves lives. The earlier you find your cancer, the better chance you have at surviving it period period. So why we're telling women to wait until they're fifty. There's no other reason, Delilah, other than money. And then they like to claim, oh, we don't want to cause unnecessary stress and unnecessary tests and causing anxiety. You know what's anxious for women? You know what's really tough to handle a cancer diagnosis when you're told you're stage four your metastatics. So I just say I'll take a little bit of worry saying I have to come in for a follow up or have a even a biopsy if that means that I can find my cancer early enough to treat it to survive. So I just called BS on anything other than money being the reason why we're telling women to wait, or to confuse them, or to tell them every other year, why wouldn't we have the only test right now? And it's not perfect because the mammogram I had only detected one tumor, the mri I had only detected one tumor, the sonogram I had only detected one tumor. It was only through a double mistectomy that they found the second tumor on my chest wall and found that my other breast tissue had was filled with pre cancerous tissues. So it's not a perfect science, And so why wouldn't we give the women we love it our lives the most and the best opportunity to live as long as possible.
Speaker 1: We have more to talk about, but first a shout out to one of today's podcast sponsors. Mercy Ships has been transforming lives for over forty years. Many people in our world have no access to healthcare and as a result, they must endure pain and suffering. But with the support of volunteers and donors, Mercy Ships can go to these communities and perform free surgeries. Surgeries that help mothers see their babies for the first time, surgeries that allow little boys and girls to run and play. They change lives through the work they do. Now, thanks to the launch of the Global Mercy, the first custom built hospital ship of its kind, they can help even more people. The Global Mercy is projected to serve one hundred and fifty thousand patients over the next five decades. Four year old Amatu from southern Senegal was the first to receive surgery on the Global Mercy. Born with one windswept leg and one bowed leg, he missed out on so many things kids love, But thanks to the treatment he received from Mercy Ships, Amadu can't wait to run around with his friends and he dreams of all that lies ahead. Learn more about Mercyships at mercyships dot org. So you said one thing that I read that uh resonated with me, and that is this isn't your grandmother's breast cancer. That there's been so many advancements and yet it's not a perfect science. But can you can you talk about that a little bit because in my circle it's epidemic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is one in eight women in their lifetime, we'll have breast cancer in this country. Every two minutes a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer. And here's the really scary statistic. It isn't your grandmother's cancer in that more women under the age of fifty at an exponential rate are being diagnosed with breast cancer. And the earlier you get that diagnosis, the more likely it is an aggressive form. So we have a lot of things we're dealing with and we don't fully understand. Scientists don't, but we do, and we have made incredible progress in how we treat and target these cancers. So even the chemo I got eleven years ago was targeted in a way that if I had gotten my cancer five years earlier, I would have been They call it carpet bomb and really just dragged through the mud. It wasn't easy going through the chemo I went through, but at least it was more targeted, and now even now I've got my girlfriend who is getting immunotherapy along with chemo therapy, and so we can really the advancements in drugs and options and treatments is huge. However, we are still not there. We don't have a cure for this insidious disease. We can't stop stage four metastatic breast cancer. It will end up killing these women. And what we want to get to is where this is a chronic disease where we can treat it, and we're getting close, but we need funding, we need support, we need awareness, and we really need women in this month to take their health seriously, to be advocates for themselves, and to not let fear stop them from making those appointments, because a lot of women Delilah don't make those mammogram appointments, and I fear I would have been one of them had I not been assigned this and just put it off and thought, Eh, what are the chances at the age of forty, I had a one percent chance of having breast cancer. I'm a logical person, so I was like, why would I go do this? We need to make women aware that it can happen to you, if you are a woman and you're getting older, you have a chance of getting breast cancer.
Speaker 1: And if you are un certain demographics, you have a much higher chance of getting breast cancer. The rates are so much higher for women of color. So, like you said, you were one percent and yet you had it. We need to be proactive to our daughters and our sisters and our friends who are in other communities and other demographics, because they're at an even higher risk than we are.
Speaker 2: Tlila, you just hit on such an important point. Access is everything. Access to getting the diagnosis and access to treatment to huge things. And yes, scientists are studying right now from a genetic standpoint, if women of color, if black women specifically, who are dying at a much higher rate, who tend to get that triple negative, more aggressive form of breast cancer, why this is happening in those communities. And then yes, more importantly, what can we handle? What can we treat? We can treat the accessibility to quality healthcare for women around the world, and that comes with funding, That comes with people will to put their money where their mouth is. And I've always said this, there was a cure for cancer, it's called cash. We need in this month to remember not only as women to take care of ourselves, but everybody who's listening to this. You can give. You can volunteer if you don't have the money, but if you have any extra money, if you can give to causes who you support and believe in. It's about research, it's about funding, and it's about access. For so many of these women don't have quality health care available to them, and that is a tragedy that compounds a tragedy.
Speaker 1: And what you just want to touch on something you just said where you said you can volunteer. You had your mom that you said came and moved in and made the choice to make your health a priority. There are so many women who don't have a mom to do that, and yet they've got kids or grandkids or jobs or careers or whatever, and they don't have a ride somebody to take them to their to their chemotherapy, to their surgery, somebody to let them, you know, come home with them after their surgery and care for them. There are so many ways we can proactively show up.
Speaker 2: Just show up one hundred percent, and wherever you live, I guarantee you there is a charity, There is an organization that is there and willing to help in all the ways you just mentioned, and so all you have to do is a Google search and you can find a way to help.
Speaker 1: And even if you do have the cash, especially if you do have the cash, you know, your arms, your legs, you can you can drive somebody to their appointments. You can say you know what I will you know, make sure that while you're in your appointment, your child is here in the doctor's office being entertained. I'll play Uno with them. I'll sit here and play skip Bo with them for hours, if that's what it takes. If you don't know where to start, you can google if you if you don't know how to do that, like you don't even know where to start art, talk to somebody who's gone through it and say, how could I have helped you? Or what did you need? Did you need meals? Do meal prep make two weeks worth of meals for your sister who's just gone through surgery.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: There's so many ways we can say I love you, so many ways we can say I love you to your best friend or a complete stranger who's going through that darkness and needs a beacon of light.
Speaker 2: You just said it perfectly. We all can do our part, Delilah, so thank you so much. On behalf of all the women out there, and men get breast cancer too. We should definitely point out that if you have breast tissue, you could get breast cancer. So I appreciate your focus on this. It's an important topic and something that we can all remember. We can do our part in helping others. So thank you, Delilah.
Speaker 1: I got to honor my friend Lacy.
Speaker 2: We just lost her.
Speaker 1: Our service was just a few weeks ago. Never met anyone in my life who fought so hard, fought so hard and ultimately won the victory because of her faith, but left two beautiful kids. And we all know a Lacey.
Speaker 2: We do. You know, if I'm having a bad day, any of us have a tough day. The little things can get us wound up. But when you remember how how the people who we look up to lived, you know, that's how you beat cancer, right, That's what they say, it's how you live, and that's how you beat it because you show other people how to live, how to live.
Speaker 1: How to live fully? And man, do you live fully? Girl? Have you really been in five marathons? And now you're a mountain climber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm about to run my sixth in Chicago October thirteenth, I will be running my sixth marathon. And yeah, I've climbed a couple of big mountains and I have more in my future.
Speaker 1: Well, you are beautiful and you are stronger than you think. And I love Robin Robertson when she said, you know, if you go into that van and get the mammogram, you're going to save at least one life. I would suspect that you have helped to save many just through your passionate advocacy, of knowing, of caring, of caring enough to do the hard things.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, God, bless you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being with us.
Speaker 2: Oh it's been a pleasure and an honor. Thank you, Delilah.
Speaker 1: Understanding your breast health is the first step in being breast aware and knowing your body so you can proactively advocate for yourself when you sense that something is not quite right. There are steps every person can take to help the body stay as healthy as possible, like eating a balanced diet, not smoking, limiting alcohol, and exercising regularly. And while these ma I have some impact, on your risk of getting breast cancer. They cannot eliminate the risk developing breast cancer is not anyone's fault. Ladies, let's talk about it. Remind your friends to get checked and be there for one another when the diagnosis comes. I can't thank Amy enough for joining us today and sharing her inspiring story. Impactful, inspiring. You can hear even more of her story by listening to our podcast, Amy and TJ on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast. So go, get a pumpkin spice latte or a chi te. Pull out the sweaters, pull out the boots, the shearling jackets, those adorable white brim hats. It's fall y'all, and get the girls checked out, because loving someone begins with you