Speaker 1: Well up to NFL Daily where we just can't help ourselves. I'm Greg Rosenthal back in Los Angeles and thrilled to be joined by my friend Boots on the ground in Philadelphia, the host of the p h l Y Eagles podcast. It's Bo Wolf. You'll know them and you'll love.
Speaker 2: Them, I hope, So thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to have it. Just felt like we need to finish this circle. Bo, Yeah, we need we need to close the championship circle. And you've been on the show throughout this this Eagles run, and I wasn't done talking about this Eagles team, but then they popped up in the news. We'll talk a little Kellen Moore some stray final thoughts. I want to hear what the locker rooms, you know, was like after the game, everything post game. We're gonna do a hastily constructed list of the best Super Bowl winners since the last time the Super Bowl was in New Orleans. It just felt like that's a good cutoff. That was that Ravens one because leaving that game, that and I am trying not to be hyperbolic. Some some of the listeners think I'm hyperbolic. I'm thinking is that like the best super Bowl team and in a decade. So I had to make a list, very hastily constructed. You can help me through that. But yeah, let's let's start with the Eagles. Just normally, like to the victory goes to spoils here bo, But for you, the spoils is like a second podcast just hours after you get back from Philadelphia when your family is probably angry on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got I mean, I got four hours of sleep last night, so I'm feeling pretty good. That's part of the super Bowl night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh yeah, walking through a little bit. What what was the post super Bowl experience like for you and for the Eagles? And yes, we are going to get to it to Kellen Moore pretty soon. I do want to get to that because it's very Eagles related. It's the biggest news of the day. He will be the saint, said coach. But let's let's go through the Eagle stuff first.
Speaker 2: So the postgame locker room itself was a wild scene and and you really appreciate it, right because it's you look around the room and as they're all, you know, spraying champagne and dancing and they've all got you know, cigars. Smokes filled the air, like my clothes still smell like cigars. You look around the room and and and everybody has a story, right, Like not just the top of the roster players like like aj Brown and Jalen Hurts, but like the bottom of the roster players like Isaiah Rodgers and Orn Burkes guys like that, but all the coaches, all the support staff, all the front office people, like every single person in there, like this is what they go to work every day for. Is a job, is a night like this and their families. You know, it extends, it extends so far beyond that, like it is all in service of and in sacrifice for getting to this moment. And so you look around the room and you appreciate it. I can only compare it to the the winning Super Bowl locker room after the two thousand and Sevenantine Eagles won it all, and that one was was a celebration, but it wasn't It wasn't quite so boisterous. I would say it was a little bit more muted, like Doug Peterson gave a little speech afterwards, like there were there was no speech to be made this time around, as as the music was blaring and CJ. Garner. Johnson's in the middle practice squad safety Andre sam I feel like was was the star of the show who was like really all over the place, and then there's like, you know, A. J. Brown was in the middle for a little bit, but for the most part, he was just sort of sitting in his locker sort of in contemplation and you know, talking with a couple members of the training staff, and you know, I think it was sort of a reflection of he was playing through a lot of pain at the end of the season and and probably needed to do a lot to get through it. You know, Lane Johnson's a little bit off to the side. He's the you know, he's he's the veteran here. This is like the you know, the cementing of his Hall of Fame resume to some degree. But you know, it was it was it was fun to watch, it was fun to be a part of. And then you know, Big Jay journals that that Zach and I are found ourselves at the you know, the Eagles after party. Oh yeah, and to me and I wrote about this on all phl y dot com. Now in the postgame locker room, Nick Sirian is a little bit a little bit more muted. You know, this was a player's thing. But you know when it gets to two am at the you know, at the at the team party, Nick was feeling himself a little bit. You know, he goes on stage, he's, uh, he's popping lock into uh, you know, buy you a drank, and he's he's singing all the words to my prerogative And like, if anybody has ever deserved it to like celebrate, it is Nick Sirianni because he's been doubted so much. And there's a delightful irony here, Greg that you will appreciate because you know, they're among the stars who were there that night. You know, you've got Shane Gillis is there, and Pete Davidson is there. But you know who else was there? Bill Belichick? And so Bill Belichick, the guy who was essentially threatening and maybe back channeling to take Nick Sirianni's job thirteen months ago, is there as Nick Sirianni is the head coach on top of the world. And I think there's a there's a delightful irony in that for for Sirianni.
Speaker 1: Now, did they have a moment together? Do you do you have any.
Speaker 2: Idea, And I wasn't there. I wasn't there all night. I was only there for like the last hour. But I don't I don't. I don't think so. But I haven't heard, honestly, either way, I can't say one way or another.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was wondering if I should hit up our our mutual friend for like an invite to that, but I was feeling a little cashed out by by like one in the morning. It's not my freaking party anyways. I was like, I also knew I had a sleeping wife and son in the room that would have been even more annoyed when I woke them up at three or four in the morning. Instead of won either way, I did not. I did not have to go. I that's funny you mention that. Okay, that's taking us in a different direction, But how close do you think that ever was the happening, Because the fact that there was a conversation between Howie Roseman and Bill Belichick, it's pretty astounding. Frankly, that shows maybe it's just them giving him the respect and Bill Belichick's sort of back channel, as you're implying. But to me, I read that as that's something they're considering doing, which is a wild door not taken, and they obviously look at the coaching position differently than most organizations. You guys have helped inform me of that over the years, and it's kind of obvious that they chose these coordinators not Nick. So how close do you think it was to a totally wild and I'm sure less successful because it couldn't have been more successful door number two.
Speaker 2: I don't think that it was ever super close, but I did have the framing last year that I think if they were ever going to do it, it would have been last year because you looked at what they did with the coordinators, right, you know, you had Vic Fangio and you had Kellen Moore, the most turnkey options on the market, right, Because I think they believed in their hearts that this was a Super Bowl caliber roster and so what they needed was was somebody to keep it on the rails. And so the Vic Fangil version of a head coach in that situation would obviously have been Bill Belichick. Now, I don't think that that would have been a you know, a lasting marriage because as we've talked about, like this is a GM centric organization, I think they would have eventually butted heads as to who's in charge of stuff. But my understanding is also that this was probably more of a Jeff Lurry fascination than Howie Roseman one. Even though I think even though I think Hawie Roseman has a good relationship with Bill Belichick, I think all indications are that Howie was one of the ones who was fighting on behalf of keeping Nick Sirianni. I think he thinks they have a good working relationship. You know, you could be you could play you know, machiavellian and think that it's because it's somebody that he knows will sort of just worry about coaching and not try to get involved in the front office. And he can hire the coaches. But if we want to, you know, when we do pivot to Kellen Moore, I think that's an interesting part of who has the power here in how they go about backfilling Kellen more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that will be telling. And now Syrian, he's gonna be like one of the highest paid coaches in NFL history, have you not?
Speaker 2: He deserves to be on stage like puffing on his chest. He did it. I mean, it's it's unbelievable. I know what we will get to like thinking of this team big picture, but I mean the truth is they didn't lose a game all season long. When Jalen Hurts and AJ Brown played the entire game.
Speaker 1: Like now I listen to your post show, I heard that one and that's true. And going through this list of of the recent champions, I sorted it more on just like in a given week, who would you be afraid to play in this Eagles team? You know, spoiler alert is high on that list. I think the resume also matters. And the whole they only lost three games. One of them is with Jalen Hurts getting hurt halfway through and they blow it all though it was a defense that that blew that game. One of them was Sakuon Barkley dropping the ball. That that happens. You know, every team has a loss kind of like that, but they they probably should have won that game. The other one, though, I'll push back on it, they got wiped out by the Bucks a J. Brown not saving him that game. But it's also week four. I think this whole season for the Eagles is a Week five Onward conversation, which is very similar to another team very high on my list spoiler alert, the twenty fourteen Patriots who went to and two, and that was the year everyone was like, is Belichick losing it? They actually asked him a question about Benjing Brady after going to and two, which was my friend Tom Kurrd, which was amazing. And you know, after that, they were one of the best Patriots teams ever. And this Eagles team after they put Cooper de gene in, after they just started improving since that week five, were one of the best teams ever. I owe. I do wonder if part of the reason they wouldn't have gotten down the Belichick road is just like they had Fangio there and he was their white whale. And it is really funny as we transition a little bit, and if you have more thoughts on stuff after the game, I'm happy to hear it, because that's stuff you have that no one else does. But watching, you know, rewatching that game and thinking about the game, it's funny how much credit Fangio gets deservedly for this defense he build, and yet how much the game plan was like not that important. He is calling back to a time in the NFL when it's not about how look how smart all these coaches are. They have to run the fewest amount of coverages in the league, and in that game especially, they just ran what they ran, Like Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid knew exactly what the Chiefs were doing the entire game. There was no trickery, there was no blitzing, there's no there's barely any like of the the sim pressures or even the fancier stuff. They do. Like they're just going out and playing like nineteen eighties style defense and they're just awesome at executing it. So the coaching and the genius to me is in everything that VIC Fanjoe and this entire coaching staff did all season long to develop these players and kind of get them playing so in sync and so fast. They're just they're just one of the best defense as ever. I think that's safe to say at this point.
Speaker 2: I think so too, And I think certainly in the conversation for best defense of the you know, of the two thousands, especially if you're looking, you know, week six on after they came back from the bye I think there are a few important things to unpack their one. I mean, they did do something like you know, there was some front mechanics that were different. They changed some of the linebacker roles just a little bit, but you're right. I mean they played like a ton of Cover four. They knew that that upfront they were just going to dominate. I think one thing that gets maybe a little bit underrated and just Vic Fangio came in and fixed this defense is the rest of the staff, and that was you have to go back to. They go to the twenty twenty two Super Bowl, they lose that game, and not only do you have to replace Jonathan Gannon, you have to replace Nick Raalis who leaves as linebackers coach. Denard Wilson, who was in charge of the DB's was essentially like the guy in waiting and when he when he doesn't get the job, he leaves. And so I think the Eagles internally felt like last year one of the big problems with their team was not just the coordinator, but was the staff. And so when Vic Fango comes in this year, you know they replaced every position coach except for Jeremi Washbur and the outside linebackers coach. You get Clint Hurt who goes from defensive coordinator to defensive line coach. Bobby King takes over the linebackers, Christian Parker takes over the DB's and he's a guy who a lot of people feel like is a future defensive coordinator, which reminds me. By the way, I don't know if you caught this, So this was a very funny moment from your show the other night that I listened to Jordan, I just wanted to call her out on this. She's talking about how young Joe Casper and Christian Parker are and her fame of references they're so young, they're the same age as me, which is just a huge flex on how young she is.
Speaker 1: And then Shook jumped in right away and was like, yes, same age as me too, and just like, oh, I guess it's just old drag and the Whipperspectors at this point on the show. Yeah, I did not appreciate that whatsoever, but a fair point that like they replaced every single position coach and like Bill, but second, it would have been impossible to do a better job with this with this team than than Fangio did. All I meant was just like that, like they're playing pretty old school.
Speaker 2: It was a I mean, this this game was a was a talent out you know, outperforms everything like they were just so much more talented than the Chiefs. I think my favorite encapsulation of that was, uh, you know, so there's the there's there, it's ten to nothing and they get that that immaculate drive where it's sack sacked kuber Degene pick six, and that that sack sack drive was the first time that they rotated in their like, you know, B team on the defensive line. And so you've got, you know, you've got Joe Tooney at left tackle, who's getting like offensive Player of the Year votes from from his boys, Like wow, what this? You can't beat this guy? And he's getting just run over by the third defensive end, rookie third round pick Jylex Sant, who's you know, who's an improving player. But like if you're just holding up like who's one of the best players on this team versus like who's like the thirteenth best player on this defense and he's just running them over.
Speaker 1: That's a real thing that happened. Was not covered on the show both Tom Brady and was it Rodney Harrison? No is Teddy Bruce g I forget which ex Patriot voted Joe Toney on their offensive Player of the Year ballot, which is just stupid. I mean, he's a really good guard, but yeah, it just come on, it was a weakness. I mean, he is an example of their biggest issue over the last stretch was they ended up just like blowing up their offensive line in multiple spots because they made a bad draft pick. They haven't been able to develop that position and that was a problem. I love all that, by the way, I love that you mentioned Aj Brown how he was emotional in the locker room too, because our interview on audio. I don't know if it came across as well as it did for me on video, just that like his face was taking everything in in that moment, and it meant he really seemed like, to your point, maybe fighting through the injury. But it reminded me a lot of Aaron Rodgers after he won his Super Bowl, which was the most human I ever saw him in the locker room in the corner, kind of taking it all in and you could just see it all on his face in a way that you could with with Aj Brown there too. Let's let's yeah, let's talk about the game, because there were a few things that I just wish and we're not going to go back through it too often or ever again, who knows. I'm sure it'll come up, but like at this level that that I wish I had gotten into just sort of the numbers. I think, like, we know the defense played well, but when I look at Aaron Shotts and that was easily the best defensive performance in the first half of a Super Bowl ever, And of course it was because they had they forced more turnovers than they gave up first downs, like and then it finished.
Speaker 2: Up first down on the first play of scrimmage and then didn't get another first down the whole half.
Speaker 1: Here's the one that that I love. The Chiefs didn't run a play in the in the Eagles territory for the first nine drives of the game. That was the only game all season that that happened in the NFL. And to me, nine drives is actually the perfect number because nine drives is your average Chiefs game. They play way less possessions, and it always stuck in my head to last year how their offense did not show up in that game against forty nine Ers through nine drives, the forty nine Ers defense had played awesome. I think they had given up ten points and one was on a like three were on a short field. It was like, Wow, their defense played well enough to win the super Bowl and then some. But but you know, because the Chiefs defense, it's a team game, you know, held their end up with the bargain. Eventually they had time. Not this time. That's outrageous that you can really say other than garbage time. It was the worst performance potentially by any team in the NFL in any game this year. Patrick Mahomes at the Super Bowl. It's just I don't know what to do with that, but it's it's it's embarrassing. It's a little embarrassing for the Chiefs. That's why I respect them for getting all those garbage time touchdowns just to just to feel better about themselves. Like I would have wanted to do that too if I were them, because it was a very had to have been embarrassing to get bodied like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was talking to someone who was on the Cheap sideline and they said, like after the Cooper Degene pick six, like they they knew it was, it was like this, this game is over and they were just they were just ejected. Now It's interesting from a like what was their plan coming in? Fran Duffy broke this down on our on our phl y dot com and in a good way, and I think I saw it somewhere else that like the plan for the defensive line coming into this game was like they are not strong enough.
Speaker 1: We are.
Speaker 2: We are gonna we are gonna bull rush them all game long. We're gonna go through them, not around them. Now, part of that is it also keeps Mahomes in the pocket, right, you're not you're not giving him lanes to throw, but they they knew like they cannot block us, and just you talk about like the violence of this team, this is I know this is kind of like kind of basic, but it's why I thought that he was, we're gonna win this game. Like they're just the meaner team. They have been so violent the entire second half of the season. And I think the ego from a roster construction standpoint would give some of that to like some of the things that they care about in the draft, Like you know, we we sort of laugh at like adding all these Georgia guys, but like they they this is what they're used to, and so like every single move worked, and even even like who the one guy who had to go in as a backup or in Burks in this game, who lost to the Chiefs in the Super Bowl last year is after having to replace Dre Greenlaw when he suffers the injury, like he was fine in this game. Quinn and Mitchell is like running stride for stride downfield with Xavier Worthy on that that one first half play where they went play action to try to go to that deep shot and you see Malhones kind of cock it like that's he really wants to throw it and he can't because Quentiny and Mitchell is right there, like everybody on this team played at the high, like the ceiling of their ability. And I think it's why when we get to the conversation of like where do they rank, there's like a there's a discrepancy between like the greatest team, like the arc of their resume versus like the best team when they got to the Super Bowl, And I think this team at this point it would be hard to beat them.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think you're right. And even with those late touchdowns, they give up two touchdowns in the last three minutes in one late in the third quarter. They still end up with the fourth best defensive DVOA four game uh in the Super Bowl, and it was interesting to see what was fifth on that list was the Bucks versus the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: So interesting now, dvlis it does It is supposed to contextualize the like like the the win probability of the game itself. So I'm surprised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the opponent the play to play it. It does, but it doesn't. It doesn't count out. It's it's still it still counts a little bit for garbage. But that that to me is interesting. It just the Chiefs having two of their worst games of the Mahomes era in the Super Bowl is crazy. The last little thing I just want to say in the Super Bowl was Herts's game was even better in retrospect than I thought at the time, because I think I was a little caught in that first half where I'm doing the radio and everything you just said about their pass rush and I got the binoculars on it, and it was so fun. The pass rush was so dominating the game. It reminded me most of by the way that I've attended. Was actually Week one opener rams bills of two thousand and what twenty two when they were defending their title. And that was just just in terms of watching up front, a defensive line just completely embarrassed in offensive line that was that was very similar to the Bills just crushed them. But that was like a week one game setting up like a team that was gonna be terrible that year, the Rams, and this was the Super Bowl. Hurts though, like the rushing you said, like the Chiefs knew they were gonna lose the in the first half. I got admit, like, even coming into the second half, I was like, all right, let's see what the Chiefs do for the first drive. I didn't think it was over until they do nothing with their first drive, and then Hurts just starts making very quick decisions to run with their first drive and their racket up the first times You're like, okay, this is over. And that was really part of a game where he even though he held the ball at times, he made quick decisions. He made good decisions and oh, by the way, he goes like five for six and plus twenty yard throws and the more you know rewatching them, I realized like, oh, those were just awesome throws. There's to me, no question is two best games of the season were the last two, which is just just totally bad.
Speaker 2: As absolutely and dotson completion to me was an awesome one because it was the first big blitz Spags sent all game and he makes that check and I don't know that like people who haven't watched the Eagles all season realize how insane it was for him to check to a go ball to Jahan Dotson, who like he barely throws to. This was the first game all season long, if you don't count the Week eighteen finale with the backups in which John Dotson had two catches that went for first downs. Like that's how one involved he's been in the offense. And it was a beautiful throw. The scrambles were huge, and obviously in part because of you know, they weren't getting a ton from Saquon Barkley, which again I think speaks to like the talent disparity in this game. It felt like the Chiefs game plan was we are not gonna let Saquon beat us on offense, and we are not gonna let Jalen Carter beat us on defense. Their double team in him every snap almost and okay, the other twenty players on the field are just going to dominate every single one of their other individual matchups, and like you get a like almost a forty point game. I thought, yeah, I thought I thought Hurts was was outstanding. The go balls were awesome. I thought that, you know, the shot to Davante down the middle was I talked about this team being mean, like they really stepped on the throat there after the fourth down stop by Avonte Maddox.
Speaker 1: That's like a tough catch and a tough throw, like to have it in the right spot people are killing like Jalen Watson for that. It's like, I mean, that's just like these good offense beat Like that's just a great throw, perfect like where he he always throws those deep balls in just the right spot. I mean, he's not a complete quarterback, but his strengths are so good and the design runs were effective too, Like he is a good vertical runner that helped them keep the chains moving.
Speaker 2: The strength that he has throwing deep, which to me is like as a passer the best thing he does, makes it more mystifying why we didn't see more of this in the regular season, Like there was a stretch in the second half of the regular season where the Eagles threw the ball downfield, you know, less often than almost every team in the league, which was kind of bizarre. The one other thing that worked out well for the Eagles in this game, and credit again to fran Duffy for pointing this out. Usually the story with Jalen Hurts as a passer is that the quicker he gets rid of the ball, the better he is, and the longer he holds onto the ball, the less effective he is. He's like towards the bottom of the league in you know, epa per pass when he holds onto the ball for three seconds or more, which is a little bit unexpected given that he is, you know, a creative player. You would think that as a mobile quarterback he would be better at that. And in this game he held onto the ball. I believe this was the third longest time to throw that he had all season. But when he held onto the ball, he was way more efficient than than he usually is, and that was that was a big factor in the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, too many one on one matchups. Let's uh, let's pivot that that they just had a huge advantage. Let's pivot a little bit to just what's next out of this group, and they have both These teams have a lot of free agents, a lot of question marks coming into the offseason. We're gonna do full off season previews for every team, but for for the Eagles, who do you think is most likely to stay? I'm gonna give you six starters. That's a lot. Yeah, we're going through the different teams, like if you have more than four, like four or more starters, that's actually more than average, Like transition over the courts of an offseason in terms of guys you mostly would want to keep. And this is the case here. Josh Sweat gonna be a free agent, Milton Williams gonna be free agent, McKay Beckton gonna be a free agent, Zach Bond gonna be a free agent, Darius Slayte not gonna be free agent, but talks as if he is, like he thinks the Eagles are gonna cut him or something is going to happen there. And then Dallas Goddard just because you threw this out there, like would they ever want to move off of his contract? That would surprise me personally, because I just think he adds such an important dimension, Like why would they choose to do that. But of that group, who kind of stands out to you is the most likely to go and the most likely to stay however you want to answer it.
Speaker 2: So I think I think Mackai Bectam is the least likely to stay for several reasons. One is that, like they're they're gonna have to extend Kim Jurgens this offseason. They're already paying Landon Dickerson and Jordan Mailatta and Lane Johnson at the at the top of the offensive line market. You can't pay everybody, and I think you can trust Jeff Stotlind to, you know, fill in somebody as the right guard between those two guys. Tyler Steen filled in this game and is fine. I think the Eagles wanted to take an offensive lineman early last year. I think they would like to do it.
Speaker 1: He was not fin your game. I think he came in in the very first rep Chris Jones like pretty soon.
Speaker 2: I don't think they I don't think they would like to enter next season with him as plan A, but but I think they trust that they can backfill that spot. McKay Beckton was like a great one year bandit. I don't think that they view him as worthy of like top of the market salary, unless they think he's the eventual Lane Johnson replacement, which I don't think they do. Milton Williams, I think is also very unlikely to return. I think if you asked Howie Roseman, like one of his regrets from the past couple of years, I think they wish that they had extended him two years ago when when they first could have. But he's going to get paid this offseason. I don't think they can afford him. He's going to be I mean he's he's twenty five years old, he's going to be twenty six in April. He's an ascending player, and they've got Jordan Davis coming back next year. Morowajema, who played very well in the postseason, is kind of a guy who can who can backfill there, and it's supposed to be a good defensive tackle class. I think they sort of trust that that's how they can approach it.
Speaker 1: Car They usually get those deals done of like guys who are coming up on their after that they maybe value higher than other teams. Like Josh was a home alignment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, homegrown linement is not something that they usually let go, and so I think they I think they were a little bit.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they tried. I don't know if it was I don't know what the negotiations were like, but I think they regret that a little bit. I also don't think Josh Sweat is coming back, in part because you know, they made him take a pay cut last year, last offseason, so I think there might be some acrimony there. Then again, Sweat, you know, hired Drew Rosenhouse, so that probably means that any bad feelings are done on that front. But it also means that Rosenhouse will make sure that Sweat gets the most money, and I don't think that the Eagles will be the ones who offer him the most money. I think slayh is an interesting one. I think the plan heading into the season was probably to post June first release him this offseason. Saves a good chunk of money. You've got Quinnon Minchell, You've got Cooper Dejen, You've got KEITHA Ringo coming up. They could also resign Isaiah Rodgers. But I do think that there is potential mutual interest in like a restructure for a one year deal if Sleigh wants to go out just on his terms with the Eagles. I think that's possible. Goddard, I think is I think they would like to restructure him. He's got no guaranteed money, and so I think I think there is a real possibility that they move on and they're looking to create room. I do think that's a place to do it. He's just been so injury prone. He hasn't played a full season. I think he's played one full season the last five years, and so I think that's a place where they could look to make a change and get younger. And then Bond is the really interesting one to me because we.
Speaker 1: Know they have not going anywhere. I don't care. They'll franchise tag him. So he's number one on my list, but you.
Speaker 2: Can't franchise tag him because he gets the franchise numbers. Is for edg Rushers, right, But it's like a twenty plus million dollar thing.
Speaker 1: So well, that's fine, give Zack Bond twenty plus million for a year.
Speaker 2: I don't think I think he was I think you had.
Speaker 1: To pick one most valuable player on their defense. I guess Jalen Carter would be up there.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably I mean this bon is number two.
Speaker 1: Hey, who is the defensive Player of the Year finalists? It was Zach Bond and it didn't slow down in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: He was awesome.
Speaker 1: I think he kind of unlocked them. I honestly think he would be very difficult for Vic Vangio to replace, and they will. This is just my opinion, but I think they will look at him as somewhat irreplaceable and just give him a ton of money.
Speaker 2: I think he is the one who they are most willing to go, like above what they're comfortable for. But they're also going to have a number. And what's really hard to figure out with Zach Bond is what the market's going to be like, because this is a twenty nine year old who has done this for one year at a position that is not usually hugely valued on the open market. If some team comes out, if some team comes out and offers him twenty billion dollars, I don't think the Eagles are going to match that, but I think that they would love to try. I think they're going to try to spoil him before free agency hits see if they can get him to come back. And you also have to wonder, you know, Zach bond. This is his chance to cash in, but he's also seen the other side of like what it's like, how much does is he willing to take any kind of discount to be back with Vic Fancia.
Speaker 1: I think he will have a huge market. I think off ball linebackers are kind of coming back in style like running backs. It's just hard to find three down linebackers. There's enough Fangio like teams out there that can convince himself that he fits perfectly as Okay, we don't have to change our lineup. He can play on the line, he can back up, he unlocks it.
Speaker 2: Will he be those four on your and your top one hundred? Will it be ahead of Sweaton and Milton Williams.
Speaker 1: Milton Williams will be high Just a young pas, especially who's just coming off a great year. Yeah. Probably. I mean, I know it is only one year, but you gotta just you gotta evalue what he did and how valuable he was. I don't think they'll ever let him go. I really don't. Whatever the off ball line backer market is, they'll just I think they'll will agree to disagree that he'll get some. He'll get like thirty million dollars guaranteed on like a three year, fifty million dollar deal or something like that where he's making sixteen or seventeen. That's yeah, and then and they'll just I think they'll get that done like next week, don't even wait.
Speaker 2: I do think he's the one that they would most like to have back.
Speaker 1: It would be crazy. Don't let him go the Chiefs quickly. It's crazy. We'll be covering this plenty as it happens. But Kelsey at this point you have to think is more likely to retire than not. Tray Smith is going to be a top of a lot of free agent lists. Although I asked around and there is a little bit of a buzz that like, was not Tray Smith's best year. This is something that basics like me and you might might not totally know, but like, he's not coming off a good year for Tray Smith, so that'll be interesting. Justin Reid Nick Bolton Wharton, who I thought had an awesome very similar to Milton Williams but just a little lower level, but had an awesome postseason, and he's gonna be a free agent New Hopkins omena who Derek Noddy, like a lot of guys who played a lot of snaps for them. It's gonna be a transition year. They have to fix their offensive line again. So I think they're they're working a little uphill. Let's take a quick break. We'll come back with Kellen Moore talk, and then yes, we're gonna do a little Rogers. We're gonna rank some super Bowls. Back on NFL Daily, both was trying to sell me that Nick Bolton's five years younger than Nick than Zach Bond. Nick Bolton will get paid too. He's a great player, great young player. I gotta decide how I'm gonna rank these guys. This is not that show though we've We've already gone too long just talking Eagles. Let's talk about them losing their offensive coordinator. We have our head coach in New Orleans. As I was leaving and I was, you know, the city, and I was thinking about Sirianni on the podium, Telan Kellen, Let's run this thing back. I was thinking, Oh my god, what a crazy situation. If Kellen Moore got really emotional and just decided to stay and the Eagles gave him the bag like it would then turn from one of the most embarrassing head coaching searches of all time to the most embarrassing head coaching search of all type. But Saints fans are absolutely thrilled, and I don't blame him considering what they've been through that they have the Super Bowl champion offensive coordinator. What do you think after watching him up close bo for a year of Kellen Moore as a head coach.
Speaker 2: It's funny you say the thing about him getting emotional because I was thinking back today and I don't remember seeing him in the postgame locker room or at the party late night, So maybe he was like trying to avoid getting sucked in by sentimentality. I don't think that that's actually the case. I just didn't see him. I think Kellen Moore is going to be an interesting head coach experience because I don't really know what to expect from a like media standpoint. I mean, he's very vanilla. He does not give anything away. Like his press conferences this year were kind of notoriously bland. But you know, I did ask Nick Sirianni late in the season, like why he thinks Kellen Moore would be a good head coach, And one of the first things he mentioned and maybe this is just how Nick Sirianni thinks about the position, was about how well he commands a room and how detailed he is, and so we'll see how those those things happened. I don't think that he was particularly like the best, you know, play designer necessarily this year.
Speaker 1: You guys are unhappy with him. Philadelphia wasn't like thrilled with Kellen Moore for parts of this.
Speaker 2: Again, it's also you're untangling with Jalen Hurts, and then you see the week eighteen game plan and it's it's all the bells and whistles that you were expecting, and Tanner McKee looks awesome. So maybe the Kellen Moore head coach offense will look a lot different than what looked like.
Speaker 1: Here go ahead, wait, hold on for a second there, How annoyed are you that it was Kenny Pickett finishing out the Super Bowl and not your boy Tanner McKee that was and he would have picked up a first down.
Speaker 2: They didn't want to hurt Jalen's feelings. If it was McKee and he lit it up, it was gonna be you know, you get the whole off season quarterback controversy. They couldn't handle that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they got they got to get rid of Kenny Pickett. Although the most fanciful I heard on your on your podcast over the last few weeks was, well, maybe they're trying to just make sure they preserve Kenny Pickett's trade value. That's why he's still the backet. What trade value you guys think Kenny Pickett has? No one's traded for Kenny Pickett.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean maybe you get six sixth Yeah.
Speaker 1: A sixth the seventh swap, that's what you got for him. Last year's trade's value hasn't got up with the Eagles.
Speaker 2: Oh, his value last year was like a late third, it was. It was like a fourth round or an early fourth. Maybe it wasn't it a swap though, didn't they it was a swap, But that's the val a round.
Speaker 1: Back it was. It was ridiculous. Yeah, value though, Yeah, maybe.
Speaker 2: He well he's cheap back and that's the value is that he's he's on a rookie contract.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: As for killing Moore, I don't know. I mean, we'll see what kind of staff he builds. It's always tough to build the staff this late in the cycle. It sounds like, there's gonna be some some short term pain right with that, with that Saints roster. But I don't know, I'm I'm I'm honestly, I don't know what to expect from the Kellen Moore head coaching experience because we haven't really learned that much about him.
Speaker 1: You know, He's he's an interesting case because he's he was a guy you thought would be the future Dallas Cowboys head coach. At one point he thought, by all accounts that he would be a future Dallas Cowboys head coach. And then Brian Schottenheimer gets the job, and perhaps I've heard that, you know, seeing what happened with Slowek not getting the Cowboys job made him realize, like, well, if I can triple my salary or whatever it's gonna be, it's gonna be a lot more money and have a chance to do it. There there's no guarantee I ever get my chance. I'm gonna take this, this this opportunity. Maybe he brings in Doug Nussmeier, who is with him in Philadelphia on offense, and then Brandon Staley is reportedly the leading candidate for the defensive coordinator job. Staley hired him in a relatively disastrous season for both of them.
Speaker 2: It's always funny with that when the coordinator becomes the head coach and hires the head coach as the coordinator. I think that's always a funny dynamic.
Speaker 1: Two young guys. We'll see. We'll see. By the way Schottenheimer hired who did he hire Joe Brady?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: No, not Joe Brady, I mean Ken Dorsey. Of course he didn't hire Joe Brady Ken Dorsey in Dallas. I like that staff that he's putting together. So shout out to Brian Schottenheimer. I'm like, fifteen percent higher than consentus. Then how it will go for him? I think he could be fine.
Speaker 2: And I will note the thing that you will hear from the Eagles now is that this will be Jalen Hurts's fifth offensive coordinator in his six seasons in the NFL, and if you go back to his college career, it's nine in ten.
Speaker 1: Very similar to the career of Derek Carr, who Kellen Moore is inheriting. Presumably some contrasting reports out there about how much Kellen Moore wants Derek Carr as his quarterback. I shouldn't even say reports It's contrasting people that you talked to at the Super Bowl that seemed to be well informed, but they don't agree on this that maybe Kellen Moore said, I'm only taking that job, or you know, he does not want Derek Carr. It's a very confusing situation with Mickey Loomis running that team with about as much power as anyone in the NFL, and Kellen Moore has to step into that. But he's been in weird spots before. He was the coach under Jason Garrett did so well that he kept the job, but he kept it with Mike McCarthy and then Mike McCarthy kind of slowly made it into his offense. Other people were saying that Jerry Jones had some input on that offense, and it's like he was extremely productive with the Cowboys. That should not be lost. He was there for four years. A couple of those teams were elite, Like if you just go by points and yards, they were the best offense in the league, and even by the efficiency metrics they were excellent. And he won with backups. He won with some backups Andy Dalton at one point, and he and he won with the Cooper Rush in Dallas, so like he's done it. I think the Saints did about as well as they could have. I'm looking forward to that before we moved totally off the Eagles. What is the dumbest thing you've heard this week? Just maybe analysis of the game, if you want, I can, I can start. It was more just dumbest thing I saw. I was walking on Saint Charles yesterday. I had a very late flight and I just saw in the windows in a bar like the lower third for one of those I believe it was first get up and it was said, it said, is the goat debate over? Is it over? Like now Brady's won it for good? It's over because of what your Eagles did did to the to the to the Chiefs. Is it over? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. That is the dumbest thing I've seen.
Speaker 2: It's extremely dumb. Yeah, I mean that's that's that's pretty high up there. I'm trying to think. I think I guess it would have been, you know, a conversation about Sirianni's job security heading into the Super Bowl, Like if they lost the game, could he still be fired? That seems pretty pretty unlikely. Other than that, I guess it's just like the chest pounding of like the Eagles had no chance in this game, like this game has already been played two years ago. They've gotten no shot, which turned out to be quite wrong.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of that. It was interesting because look, we went three for three here on our picks for Game Deview and on NFL Daily and Game Deview with five different people. And yet I did look, and I think the consent it was a very slight favoring the Chiefs in terms of the general cognizanti. Maybe it was like fifty five forty five, sixty forty, so it wasn't a nobody believed in us. But it was a situation where the team wins so convincingly, kind of like that Seahawks win that keeps getting referenced that everyone who who picked the Chiefs probably feels a little stupid, like I do.
Speaker 2: Well, I do will, I will give you a little bit of gas here and that, like I did see it come across my timeline, like the breakdown of who picked two, and it was like, oh, all the ball knowers picked the Eagles. It was you know, it was the nameless faces who picked the chiefs Well.
Speaker 1: I also like sticking with my picks if I believe in the overall structure and talent. And I picked the Eagles to win the Super Bowl in both twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three before the season, and this season, I had him in the NFC Championship Game before the season, which I feel like people didn't know what to make of this team, and I wis I wish I had just picked them to win it off for three speight years because I finally, I finally would have been right. And that was the dumbest thing I saw, by the way, because like I'm old enough to remember NFL dot COM's cover story before that Seahawks Super Bowl bo was does Peyton Manning cement himself in the goat race with a win today? Because that was that was the thought. Like at that point, it's not that long ago. People gave Manning the edge because of the because it had been ten years before, you know, since Brady had won one. You know, he was quote unquote stuck on three. And Manning's individual stuff was in the Broncos that season and their offense was so much higher that generally people thought the greatest of all time, at least between Manning and Brady was Manning and they were like almost mid thirties at the point it fell over. That's why that's the stupidest thing ever, because Patrick Mahomes not even not even thirty, Like, let let this play out at this point, it's just got to be him versus Brady, and he hasn't even gotten to Brady's best decade. Help, Brady's best decade was like thirty four to forty four, So you know, you can't expect Mahomes to do that, but like it could, So let's just let's just put a pin in it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think from a like if you could zoom out, it will be fun to kind of see, like what the next iteration of the Patrick Mahomes chiefs are like post chasing Kelcey, Like how are they going to reform the offense? How is he going to become a different player? I think that's a very a very fascinating story.
Speaker 1: And look, it's it's not good for him. It will be remembered that he had two of his worst games in the Super Bowl. That was another kind of takeaway I had rewatching was like everyone's just going to put it on everything around Mahomes. He was bad. I mean he legit panicked.
Speaker 2: He I don't remember ever seeing him like that in the pocket, like like really looking uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: He likes to play with people around him, and the way that they did it, he did not like it anymore. He essentially fritzed out. He held the ball a couple times when actually there were rows. They weren't like open, but you just would thought that he would he would try to rip it like he he played one of the worst games of his career and considering the contact easily the worst game of his career in that spot, So he deserves a little little bit of that. Getting blown out twice in the Super Bowl, you know that didn't happen. And to Brady, their teams were always close. They get both blown out in like a divisional round game or two, though, so you know, things happen.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, yeah, everybody says it. But the worst season of his career was the AFC Championship. Gamers ultwise, like that's that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Right, and it's like you should you should get extra credit for playing well against the Texans and playing well against the Bills before having the worst game, like Brady shouldn't get somehow put higher because he got waxed by the Ravens in that two thousand and nine game, which at the time I thought was like the end of the Patriots dynasty. They were booing him out of Foxborough in two thousand and nine, and then literally the next year they had the best offense for about the next seven straight years in aggregate. It was crazy. So we kind of need to see that out of Mahomeszo. It's been a couple of quiet years, like in terms of his regular season performance, and that that gets us to ranking these these teams.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to hear how this goes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this was last minute. I did not spend nearly enough time on this, but it's one of those exercise I feel like if you spent all the time and if you spent almost no time, it wouldn't improve at all. So you're gonna comment to me on what you think of my rankings here. I decided to do it from from the Ravens in the Superdome just as a as a cutoff. So that's the last twelve season.
Speaker 2: Twelve, isn't that thirteen seasons? Am? I? Wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because I'm throwing the Ravens. Part of the reason is they're actually my worst Super Bowl champion. And again I'm thinking about just just line them all up in a given week. You obviously get extra credit from how you're playing at the end of the season and in the Super Bowl and in the postseason, but all these teams were playing awesome. They won the freaking Super Bowl, Like there isn't one that I looked at was like, oh, they just got lucky, like game after game after game, and so in the end, you know, the twenty twelve Ravens, Joe Flacco's your quarterback, I mean, and he was playing at an outrageous level. And that was one of the worst defenses the Ravens have ever had, and they somehow strung together a playoff run in which they didn't even play that well on defense the whole time, but they got enough stops and they almost gave up the biggest comeback in history against the forty nine ers, but they got enough. So they're a great team, but they're at the bottom of my list.
Speaker 2: They're thirteen. Okay, yeah, I mean I guess if you are. If you are ranking the quarterbacks themselves would flackout be at the bottom. Is it this version of feeling hurts like everybody.
Speaker 1: I would say that version of Peyton Manning would be at the bottom. So they're part of my next two are the twenty eighteen Patriots and the twenty fifteen Broncos. Now, if we're just ranking defenses, I know Broncos fans will get mad. They would be right there with the Eagles and the Seahawks as the three best defenses over these this stretch. But I feel like if you're that imbalanced and you kind of look at their run that they went through, they were going against like the horrible one of the worst paytriots teams that ever made it to a conference championship with Stephen Jackson at running back and like not even it was just like all it was was Brady and Gronk and then they get absolutely smashed in the Super Bowl. You get taken down a peg if you lose by thirty five points. And that Patriots team, while they showed up, had a great playoff run, like they had some bad They got waxed a couple of times that year. It was like on it was the Patriots dynasty. On fumes just cranking it up one last time. I think if you just put them on the field against their other Patriots teams, against all these other teams, they might they might struggle. They might struggle a little bit.
Speaker 2: The one bit of prep I did for this was I just looked at all of their point differentials from including the regular season and the playoffs together, and just for the record, that twenty fifteen Broncos team was at the bottom. So I think that that was reelect.
Speaker 1: You there, thank you, and Patriots fans. It's tough to separate them all because that playoff run was pretty great. They did put up like forty back to back weeks out of nowhere against the Chargers and the Chiefs, having to beat Mahomes in his first time, and then the defense suddenly shows up and holds the Rams to three. So it showed they were balanced, but overall not like an amazing team.
Speaker 2: All Right, the young young Philadelphians will need to take your notes on like how to go about differentiating between all the difference.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, then they'll have to hear because all right, these next I had a hard time separating these four teams, but they're in my next four, all right, The twenty three Chiefs are the next lowest team on this list. They had a crazy good playoff run, but they had like a three and five stretch during the season, and the offense really wasn't that great, even though you had Mahomes very good defensive twenty seventeen Eagles this is where they show up. By the time they finished that season, they could be anyone. Obviously they did it. They were dangerous, but you know, I Fulio Jones makes that catch and a couple things little happen, and certainly looking over the regular season, this is where I put him. Then here's the twenty two Chiefs. Of the latter two Chiefs teams like this is the one where the offense was much more efficient, not as explosive, but a very good offense, and the defense stepped up late in the year.
Speaker 2: And then they say on THEA and then.
Speaker 1: The twenty sixteen Patriots sneaky great Super Bowl. This was actually one versus two in terms of d VA. The Falcons were number one in DVA that year. I don't think of that Patriots team as like that unbelievable, the one that made the comeback there, but they were pretty great. So those are my next pack. You can give me any thoughts on those.
Speaker 2: You will be surprised to know that that twenty sixteen Patriots team had the second best point differential of all these teams. And then I was just going to say on the seventeen Eagles, I think this is where the disparity between the scope of the entire season and the way they're playing at the end matters, because over the course of the season, you know, they blew out all kinds of teams. When when Carson Wentz was healthy their fourth on this list of point differential, but the Nick Foles iteration did not really come together until those last two. I mean, that team, you know, La, there's like that there's a magic to that team. But I think even you know, Chris Long seven his podcast that if his team lined up against the team from you know, Sunday Night, he thinks he thinks they're not winning that game.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm trying not to also be a homer because that Patriot that was a really good Falcons team that ultimately they had a hard time slowing down for much of that game, but they did when they needed to in a great Patriots offense. That's interesting. I'm point differential. I think they had a very easy schedule that year. I weirdly remember they were just like beating up on all these bad teams. All right, I'm into my top four, number four, and that these four I could rearrange in any way. Number four the twenty nineteen Chiefs. Ultimately it's the best Mahomes, it's the best Chiefs offense. I think offense matters more. And then I look at the top three teams on this list and I start wondering, maybe maybe offense doesn't matter more. So they were they were pretty hard for for me. Do you think that's right to put them as the best Chiefs team?
Speaker 2: That's one I think so. And you're reminding me of my reaction after the twenty two Super Bowl, you know, when the Chiefs beat the Eagles, which was that you know, I don't know, maybe defenses don't matter because like in that like that was a good Eagles defense and they didn't do anything against a very good Chiefs offense. But I guess my opinion has changed over the past couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: I know. That's the thing that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Is so much I actually think you framed as well. It's that there's a difference between like, like the number one defense a great defense, and then like the difference between the number four defense and the number twenty five defense is very minor, Like you either have a great defense or a terrible defense, and everybody else is sort of in between.
Speaker 1: That's the thing with the twenty sixteen Patriots, like they had a good enough defense. They obviously could game play well, but the team, like the Falcons go up and down on them. The twenty two Chiefs that happened like that Eagles Patriots game. In theory that Super Bowl had pretty competent defense, and they were literally two of the worst defenses in the history of the sport. All it was was yardage.
Speaker 2: It was like a like the three worst I believe Shiel Capati has It's like the three worst Super Bowl defensive performances since two thousand are like both defenses in that game and then the Eagles defense in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Wow. So yeah, maybe those twenty two Chiefs, maybe I'm not giving them enough love because their defense by the end was playing well, but then it didn't in the Super Bowl, did much of the season, and this is where I really struggled. So I think the three best Super Bowl winners since the last time it was in New Orleans are the twenty four Eagles, the thirteen Seahawks in the fourteen Patriots. When I wrote it down, that actually was the order. It might be recency bias because I had the Seahawks there for most of it, and then you think about the twenty fourteen Patriots, and that is what my heart wants to say. But if you go through just position by position, I think this Eagles team has a case to be made of where they are right now and the way that they finish this season.
Speaker 2: I think the finish of the season is crucial here. And if you're weighing like how they're playing at the end, boy does that matter. They won the Championship Game and the Super Bowl by a combined fifty points, which is the third highest in NFL history, behind the eighty four Bears and the eighty nine nine Ers.
Speaker 1: It and I don't even I don't even count that because it should be sixty six points or whatever.
Speaker 2: Like you can say, well, maybe the Commanders were not quite championship game caliber, and I do like I wish that we had gotten to see them play the Lions just to see that matchup. But I mean, you know, fifty points is fifty points, and the and the Super Bowl game was insane. I do like I just from a talent standpoint, and that is the story of this of this team, is that they are just so talented. You look at the season they played, and you could say they played like four complete games all year long, and they still you know, they only lost three games, and they played their best football at the end of the season, no doubt about it. And in the Superlser talked about it. In a game where like Sakuon Barkley, who was the star of the season, gets mostly muted, like, they still put up forty points and dominate, and I'm glad to hear you put them at that level. And it's not just me who was so close enough.
Speaker 1: I think the only reason why I wanted to do this exercise. Yeah, it's the reason I wanted to do this exercise. I was like, there's no way there's more than three or four that are better. And then I went through it, and it's funny because I'm looking at one note card I had them first. On the other, I like had this season. This is why I would be bad at being on one SEWS, I haven't really made up my mind. Here's the case for the Seahawks. They had a good case, kind of like the Eagles this year, where even the losses they had that season were very close, which actually, you know, the Eagles did have that one decisive w it was back in Week four against the Bucks. But the Seahawks all their games were close. They had a great postseason run. They beat the Packers, it was a very good Packers team pretty convincingly. They beat a really good forty nine Ers team in that NFC Championship. You know, that was tight, but it was good. And then you have that Super Bowl which finishes in a similar way to this one, and you look at the players that are on this team and it's mostly defense, Like that was the year that Legion of Boom actually finished number one in defensive DVO. That was their best defensive season. And all these potential future Hall of Famers showing out against a historic offense scoring wise in the Super Bowl. The one thing you could hold against them is over the course of the season, you know, tenth in offense is twenty thirteen Russell Wilson. You know, at the level of a Brady or Mahomes, Like, no, it's he's obviously not. Neither is Jalen Hurts. Although Jalen Hurts, you know, is playing excellent in the postseason. So was Russell Wilson. But you know, the quarterback, maybe the offense is a little lower, but you know, you got Marshawn there. If I'm thinking of going with that team, that is an awesome team, it's tough to make a case against them.
Speaker 2: I think that if I'm thinking about like how that game would actually play out, I mean, Marshall Lynch is so awesome, but I just don't think anybody was running on this this Eagles defense, and so I think, like I feel pretty good about the that side of the matchup from the Eagles on the other side, like, I mean, I'm not saying they could put up forty on the lesion of Boom, but I think between having multiples, because they have answers on Saquon and the Guy and aj Brown Demante Smith on the outside, I feel like they would be able to find more answers.
Speaker 1: Than well, if anyone would have answers, it would be that Seahawks team. In the passing game, I think they would make Jalen Hurts. Look closer to the regular season Jalen Hurts, And so then it would come down to like which defenses can make big plays, in which team could run the ball maybe a little better, like between Saquon and Marshawn Lynch, Like who actually gets it?
Speaker 2: How many Hall of famers on that Seahawks team do you know? Off hand?
Speaker 1: I mean Earl Thomas even't even getting which is crazy right now. No, I think he should should be. I feel like he was up for I think he was eligible this year and he didn't even make the finals. Like, let's take us back to how people actually thought about it back then. He was the best safety in the league easily for a number of like.
Speaker 2: Come on, Hall of Fame caliber players. We're talking Richard Sherman.
Speaker 1: Very young, Bobby Wagner just started, Michael Michael Bettett won't get the credit, and neither of Cliff April. But they're they're like closer to Jalen Carter level than they are to Josh Sweat. The way they were playing at that point, that was a completely sick edge duo. And then, like really good offensive players do, like a good offensive line, you have have obviously uh Baldwin, maybe not as good at receiver, but still a very good team.
Speaker 2: And then the Seagles team. You've got Lane Johnson, AJ Brown, Saquan potentially, you know, maybe Jalen Carter you think is on that path. And then there's obviously Tenner McKain.
Speaker 1: And then the case for the Patriots, which I think is a strong one at first they had them first. That year was like a collision course all season Patriots Seahawks, the best Patriots team that they had had since O seven, balanced the top five to six in offense and defense. Very good on offense, especially Brady basically in his prime, which that's an edge over Russell Wilson and Jalen Hurts. And they ended up beating the Legion of Boom, the number one defense coming off that title, trying to win too in a row. Their offense was better that year as well, so that year was was great. It reminded me of Saints Colts when they played in the Super Bowl, where it was the clear number one offense versus the clear number one defense, and both teams are great around them, great head coaches, obviously a great ending and they had to come back in that game like that you know, there's a case. There's a case there for the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it depends what you're measuring. Like, I think that is a more impressive, uh, you know string of defeats than that, the than the Eagles had in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Potentially they also waxed Andrew lack Colts like forty five to seven in the AFC champions a very similar type of championship game performance to the Eagles against the team that was just overmatched. A similar divisional round where the Eagles, you know, scrape through and you know, I wonder what the Rams are thinking about today, by the way, like they're the only team.
Speaker 2: That's the one. You know, you mentioned the Julio Jones play from the twenty seventeen season. I mean, that's the that's the one. What if from this Eagles run is you know, Jalen Carr doesn't make those two plays at the end of the game, do the Rams go and score? And then maybe they do.
Speaker 1: That's the thing is, like all these teams, even in the top four, if you look at like the twenty nineteen Chiefs, they're down ten late in the third or going into the fourth against the forty nine Ers, in the Super The Patriots were down fourteen points twice in the divisional round and have to start like almost breaking the rules with the types of plays they're coming up with against the Ravens. Did like somehow come back in that game and like scrape through All these teams have close calls the Seahawks had against the forty nine Ers.
Speaker 2: Did you think about did you think about who was the best of the Super Bowl losers?
Speaker 1: No, the Eagles would certainly be up there. I think the twenty seventeen Patriots would be up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that the twenty fourteen Seahawks you talked about as well.
Speaker 1: They would be up there. I think the first forty nine Ers team that lost would have been up there. But man, is this is stupid off season stuff. I'm happy to be in the off season.
Speaker 2: Football's back, as they say, funny.
Speaker 1: You say that, and so you know, I started the show and just started saying that, because that's like just a stupid bit. I had that, Like people are always saying football is back, like through every point of the offseason, and that would be like a fun little outro there. Just kept going with it. But football is not back. Now. I don't think I can keep using it.
Speaker 2: I think you're retiring it.
Speaker 1: I think it's done right. I mean it's purpose, they had fun.
Speaker 2: What's the what's the way you go? Football's forward?
Speaker 1: I don't know. This is it's a problem that I am solving in real time, making me panic, But I do want to talk a little bit football is we we Uh. I'm excited about this time of year specifically, like it's a pretty mad dash to the combine. We're less than two weeks away from the combine and it's like free agency, like franchise tags start next week. I'm going to do a tag primer tomorrow, just like going over who's getting tagged who's not with Nick Schook. Pretty soon the top one to one free agents are going to be out. We're going to do some off season previews and then free agencies here in like four weeks essentially, and so it's kind of a mad dash to get there. And this is this is I'm calling this Greg season.
Speaker 2: Greg Season? Is yes about Greg seasons back?
Speaker 1: Greg Is Jordan set that up for me that it's just like, all right, this is this is Greg Season. So I am I am fired up. I'm hoping everyone stays tuned in on these daily shows. Bo what a feeling. It's got to be for you. You kind of won the super Bowl. It's got to be good for the downloads, good for the business. It's not bad to cover a champion.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny is is, uh, you know we did We did so much work last week, right, We did nine shows over the course of the thing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: You know, I was like up till up till you know, five am on Sunday night writing And the one piece of feedback I got from the higher ups is I also took a video of Jalen Hurts, you know, sitting in the hallway with the Lombardi trophy as he's smoking his cigars, like a nine second video, and it was like, hey, great job with that video. And it's like the most it's the most downloaded video in the history of all city. It's like, yeah, you know what, this is what this is what we do, baby, it's all for that.
Speaker 1: Well it if nothing else, it pays. It pays for your trip and then some and then something you should convince the like, hey, send me every year I can get I can get you videos like that.
Speaker 2: I got all videos in me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if the Eagles don't make it. I mean, I can only imagine, you know, how much you're gonna be crushing your co host, Zach Berman on a daily base. I can only imagine how how obnoxious the Eagles fans are gonna be, Like, what is this next week? What is this next year gonna be?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Before I say goodbye to you for these Eagles fans in the city of Philadelphia, because you're not That wasn't just like a plucky upstart. Now you guys are your two time champions, two out of three years, making it. You gotta feel great about what's coming up next year, in the next few years. Give me just a quick preview of what Philadelphia like. How obnoxious we can expect the Eagles fans coming into stadium is gonna.
Speaker 2: Be, Yeah, I mean as obnoxious as it gets. That's you know, there's pride in the obnoxiousness we got with the parade on Friday moved because of impending rain, so that'll be fun. And then yeah, I mean, I think I would expect that if the Eagles come out slow in the first half of Week one, expect the booths to rain down.
Speaker 1: So yeah, things are going to change but they will, they will be atop those power ring So let's hit let's hit the music, please, rambling over here. Like I said, I'll be back on Thursday. It's going to be with Nick Shook. We also have a great interview with Kobe Turner. But if we're talking a little franchise tag on that show and you look yeah, when you're doing the franchise tag primer right before Valentine's Day, it's Greg season. I can't stick with that one.
Speaker 2: There