Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio day.
Speaker 2: Try not to flop in the studio.
Speaker 3: I hope you're your glorious Monday morning, your Monday that feels like a Sunday. I hope you're having a nice extended weekend, hopefully a nice cookout. Later on, we're gonna give you the rules to your Memorial Day barbecue.
Speaker 2: The dudes and don'ts today.
Speaker 4: Can I start by giving everyone one sure not to be all possessive, oh boy, but never touch another man's grill without asking, Like, if you're at.
Speaker 3: Someone's bar grill, no grill, oh girl, Yeah, I don't want your finger. I don't want your fingers in my mouth.
Speaker 4: Bro. I don't know, Uh, I don't know what is more offensive someone touching your girl or your grill or your grill or your grill. But honestly, if you're at a barbecue or cookout and you dip away and you come back and you see.
Speaker 2: Someone else with dispatchela of the four.
Speaker 4: Like if someone's flipping your steaks or burgers, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: I've always said, playing with my grills, playing with my emotions.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we'll go over that.
Speaker 3: We got Big Poppy three via Baseball Trivia giving away prizes, in fact the new prize announcement. But we're Covino and Rich live from the Fox Sports Radio studio in for Dan Patrick Memorial Day, saluting the fallen troops of course Memorial Day, and also want to thank all new listeners that are hanging out with us. Maybe some of the Dan Patrick people come check us out Monday through Friday five to seven on the East two to four out here on the West side. Guys like Sean Phills. Sean Phills found us, joined our listener page. There's a bunch of listener pages, friend fan pages on Facebook, search to Carls, Covino and Rich listeners.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the Carls and we welcome everybody.
Speaker 3: The most inclusive show on radio continues and you can watch our show. Watch what you hear right now at YouTube dot com, slash at Covino and Rich FSR at Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube and if you miss anything, catch the shows there.
Speaker 2: We even have a bonus party. Can catch us a lot.
Speaker 3: But hey, I want to take this time to say good day, good morning, and shout out to all the affiliates let's go shout out to Ron Diggity Roy Priest Jay. Uh, let's see sorry, did you say Ron Diggity Blind Guy creations?
Speaker 1: Yo?
Speaker 2: Do's Ron Diggity?
Speaker 3: No super hot Fire because I hope you had a super hot fire sort of weekend, a Golden Nights sort of weekend. They're up three to zero. You know who's super hot fire is? You had the big win over ray.
Speaker 2: J this weekend. I thought Rejo was dying. Now he was fighting.
Speaker 3: No, no, yeah, now he got that. RAYJ got knocked out this weekend. It wish yes, super hot fire. Shout out to Mafioso fifty one to fifty. Everyone's shouting us out, saying what's up.
Speaker 4: A lot of into thread chat going on right now, and you know what people are saying.
Speaker 2: I wanted to point this out.
Speaker 4: There's really no enforcement on flopping. I know that was a big conversation first hour.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, they can call it technical, but I'm saying they don't.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 4: But with all these compilations of SGA flopping and that seems to be one of the trends over the weekend, put together a fun compilation to music of SGA flopping yet you're not seeing that. You're not seeing the fouls called because you're the rich Davis I met in the early two thousands loved floppers. Now all of a sudden, you don't like them.
Speaker 2: I like fermies, you like floppers. I don't know. Bro back in the day, he used to say, you loved flosh.
Speaker 4: Tell me about some woman you sounds no, no, no, Now you're all like too good for that.
Speaker 2: Okay, but yeah, SGA is sort of ruining the whole thing.
Speaker 4: All right, let me shift gears to the Eastern Conference or a second. I have a hypothetical for you guys. We are going to talk NFL this hour as well.
Speaker 1: I know, is it a dumb hypothetical or just a rich hypothetical?
Speaker 4: I mean, as Covino said, is there a different So let me let me give you this hypothetical about the Eastern Conference, and then we are going to talk some NFL because we have the schedule releases like a week ago before you know, we're going to be totally in NFL mode and that dominates our life. So let's enjoy baseball and basketball before NFL takes over our lives again. Eastern Conference nicks likely wrap it up tonight and if not, they go back to New York and do it at home. Right, I mean, there's no way the Calves are coming back from three to zero.
Speaker 2: The Knicks have won ten postseason games in a row. Now that's a likable team right there.
Speaker 4: Jalen Brunson, guys were from the East Coast, but I don't know Jalen Brunson a guy that uh r pal Michael Rappaport said, he's like, he's like a regular guy like us.
Speaker 2: Like if you feel something when you watch Jalen Brunson and other you.
Speaker 1: Could imagine, you know, being him in the NBA.
Speaker 4: Right, you can't imagine being Wemby Underestimated Dallas took him for granted, shipped them off to New York. The biggest names in sports media said, not a great deal. The Knicks can't build around this guy. Every step of the way, this guy's been downplayed and now finally we're like, Yo, Brunson's.
Speaker 2: The guy really likable. I have a two part douzy of a hypothetical. Oh my goodness to part thhusy. Let's go part one.
Speaker 4: If the Knicks win eleven in a row after tonight, but go on to lose the NBA Finals to the Thunder via the Thunder or the Spurs.
Speaker 3: Well hold on. In our pre show meeting, and believe it or not, we had one. Rich was pretty confident when he said it that they would. You did allude to let's be real. I mean that, you're like, let's be real. On paper, they're not going to beat anyone out of the West, whether it's Okaye or the Spur. So I was like, I don't know when you said that. The only reason I remember that is because I remember thinking, what makes you so sure that they won't. I think they're gonna bring the fight.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and you have been wrong about basketball before because you only watch the playoffs.
Speaker 4: So when you when you look at a lot of the nineteen nineties dominant NBA teams, they couldn't get the job done because of this gentleman named Michael Jordan. You'll get some of those Sonics teams, the Blazers, the Utah Jazz notably right, a couple close ones, but you know, Malone and Stockton just couldn't get past MJ and Pippen and Rodman and those guys. So when you look at some of those teams, the Pacers teams and Knicks teams that couldn't get past the Bulls, whether it was in the finals or Eastern Conference finals. Do you always look at that as a disappointment or do you go with jihannest You remember a couple of years ago, Yanna said you can't look at a championship as the only good season, because you got to be proud of the season you put together.
Speaker 2: Remember that whole narrative's.
Speaker 3: True to that, and that's a positive spin. But there's some expectations when you're in New York and they've gotten this far and they haven't done it in so long. I think that there's a lot of heartbreak there. Like, yeah, there's moral victories, but honestly, the only victory is victory.
Speaker 4: I like the Blue Jays. Did the Blue Jays have this moral victory? Like we took the Dodgers to Game seven, A depends and day we were we were one Will Smith like foot lift up and down from winning the World Series.
Speaker 3: Eh, I'll give you a Canadian two current examples or what do you think they're like, there's something serious.
Speaker 2: There's such things as moral victories.
Speaker 3: There really is, but it's case by case and this weekend when this Rico guy fought Alexander Usik and.
Speaker 2: They stopped the fight like prematurely.
Speaker 3: No one gave this guy a shot to even win it, Like they're like, yeah, who's this tomato CANSI was?
Speaker 2: Usik?
Speaker 4: For the record was minus three thousand in Vegas. Rico was so close to an upset.
Speaker 3: If they didn't stop the fight and he made it through the last round, you could argue was questionable, but he probably would have got the win, maybe would have gotten the win out he was up big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well.
Speaker 3: From my point of view, yes, the judges, you know, who cares what they think. But the point is he went the distance like a Rocky Balboa. No one expected Rocky to go the distance, and sometimes going the distance.
Speaker 2: Is the more old victory. The Knicks go in the distance. That doesn't that's not the same thing, you see what I mean? Like, they're the New York Knicks.
Speaker 3: And they're playing great, and they got big stars and they've gone far already with Brunson.
Speaker 4: So I don't I don't think you're you're saying like a small college it's like a fifteen seed in Mark mad Who the Knicks are?
Speaker 2: There's expectations there.
Speaker 4: When when a when a small college team makes it to the Elite eight or Final four, it's like, oh my god, that's the victory.
Speaker 3: You're saying, the New York Knicks NBA title or nothing. That's the that's the goal. You know, it's professional sports. That's another thing. It's the NBA finals. They're they're on a run right now. They're playing with momentum, they're playing with that fire. All the superstars are out. They got everybody's.
Speaker 1: Attention speaking of their superstars like Patrick Ewing and John Starks and those guys. They went to the finals. They took New York to the finals. It never ended well. And so that's why Knicks fans are not going to be happy with anything but a victory.
Speaker 2: Will the glad you see in the final.
Speaker 3: And I think moral victories apply to people like you don't expect to be there. You don't really know by name, You don't identify them. Who knew that guy Rico over the weekend unless you're a kickboxing fan because it was his second professional boxing fight. He's a kickboxing champion. You know, you don't expect that to happen. You sort of are expecting now the Knicks to do something with this team. So here's part two of the question. Then, so I know the question the question, Rich. The first question is is it success even if they lose to somebody in the West, And I say no, not. At this point, you could say there's a hell of a lot of AFC teams that had a great run but bumped into the Cowboys or Niners in the late eighties early nineties.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say it's a guarantee, Rich, that someone from the West beats the Knicks. You could say that there have been plenty of great teams that just ran into a dynasty.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: My forty nine Ers ran into the Chiefs a couple times in the Super Bowl in Mahomes Prime. If Jalen Brunson, here's the part two of the doozy. If Brunson leads this Knicks team to glory, if they win tonight, fortune in Gloe, or in a couple of days go to the NBA Finals and somehow some way beat the Thunder or the Spurs, would Jalen Brunson be a bigger hero than Patrick Ewing in.
Speaker 2: New York, more revered than Ewing. The answer is yes.
Speaker 3: Here's why Ewing may have been the biggest star of our come up on the East Coast. I mean he was the face of the Knicks fas one of the biggest big men of our time, guys like Shaquille O'Neal.
Speaker 2: I looked over, I look over for Patrick Ewing, knows.
Speaker 3: My guy, Like he doesn't get the credit he deserves even now, Like how many people bring up Patrick Ewing?
Speaker 2: Not enough, is my point.
Speaker 3: So if Brunson leads them to a victory, yeah, he's more revered than you and all those.
Speaker 2: Guys come find.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, you have to put a little bit of context to it. Michael Jordan always stood in the next way. That's that's why does not have to go up against a Michael Jordan.
Speaker 2: But you know what he has to go up against, perhaps a back to.
Speaker 1: Back unproven still unproven in the Spurs. And let's say the Spurs do advance the way Wemby and the Spurs came out flat in Game three. If that happens in the finals, the Knicks can beat them.
Speaker 4: Mike Sailor hit us up on the inhow Chatty goes Now. Unfortunately, the Knicks are playing for second place and a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Feel I'm not buying that just flights their fire even more so let me ask you this, then, Danny, you root for teams that have won other than the Raiders.
Speaker 2: You were like a little boy and diapers on the Raiders. One lest I mean, Danny's big Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Got don't know what I'm saying. The Frank McCourt years here in La.
Speaker 4: I'm saying Dodgers, Danny's Dodgers and Lakers. So you've had some recent glory, yo.
Speaker 2: Man, And I'm rooting for the Golden Knights. So all of a.
Speaker 3: Sudden, he's a big hockey fan. My boys are hockey hockey fans. I still Danny came in full hockey erse I did. I didn't grow up with hockey. I still don't understand all the rules of hockey. So Danny's like what I see, like I love with all the off sides, damn it.
Speaker 2: So take some extra extra for this guy.
Speaker 4: So when you when you when you do think about teams that really make a run but come up short with superstars. If if another guy wins for your team, is is that the guy now in that city? Like I know you're saying, like you're you're like a guy like Damn Marino never won. Yeah, because I say, I'm gonna give you a like forget thought.
Speaker 3: You're forgetting about a younger generation that really never saw you in play Starks, any of those guys play Oakley. You know, they don't care about those older sore just all do sit up. So there's a whole younger generation at all they're gonna know is Towns and Bronson and all the New York Knicks that have gone this far. So I think it's a matter of we have reference to these old dudes, but a lot of young people don't. I mean, you got to pick a team, Danny, that doesn't have much of a history, right Like, look at my sad New York Mets.
Speaker 2: They're far away from winning.
Speaker 4: In fact, I'm pretty sure they have like the second worst record in the National League right now. Just when you thought, ooh, maybe they're turning it around, they get swept by the Marlins and they're still sticking with like their front office like it's embarrassing. If the Mets do, however, somehow find a way to win in the next five years, the thirstiest fan base the Mets by that point, the Mets, well have not won in fifty years since eighty six. Where you know what I'm saying, like, pretty soon we're gonna come up on.
Speaker 3: Fifty years, Rich is saying and describing what I see every time I go to City Field. Used to be Shay because when it was Shaye Stadium even worse because it's like a time. It was like you were stuck in time because their only highlights were from sixty nine and eighty six, Like their last highlight was it was Ray Knight cheering up and down and uh it's his name, Rosco throwing the glove up in the air.
Speaker 2: Right. It was like they were stuck in eighty six.
Speaker 4: So while all this time has passed and it was like, let's just say the Mets win in five years from now, and like these young guys like Ewing and you know, BEng and you.
Speaker 3: Just see lesser memories of eighty six doesn't go away. But what some of those highlights are replaced with the new one.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying, well, those guys, let you say, some of the young guys on the Mets in five years from now are the core of a team.
Speaker 2: Ben and Ewing and Soto's like their leader.
Speaker 4: If they ended up winning a World Series, would they be more revered than David Wright, Piazza, Pete Alonzo, guys that never got it done. Yes, they'd have to be because they want. So I'm saying is if Jalen Brunson in New York City, Danny g and by the way, nobody's become bigger heroes than those superstar as you mentioned Keith Hernandez and Roun Darling in eighty six. Mets like that are still living off that eighty six glore. They're part of the team's front office, they're part of the team's broadcasting team.
Speaker 2: They're part of it.
Speaker 4: So I'm saying that if Jalen Brunson found a way to win, dude, he would be the most popular Nick. Well, he'd jump over you Ing and Starks and all those guys because he got done with they couldn't.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, hopefully he would embrace them and bring them to the party, so he's celebrating holding up Ilarry O'Brien. He'd point to Patrick youw In and be like, this is for you.
Speaker 3: I love that. I want that for the Knicks. I even said last year, I wanted that for the Bills. You know, because that'd be nice, right, it's for the old guys that got them. There's for the fans that didn't get a chance to see it. I think it's dope. But to answer the question again the two part doozy was is it still a successful season if you made it this far and you lost to a great team like the Thunder or the Spurs. The answer is no, the Knicks got to win or it's a failure. That's the I give it to Derek Jeter mindset because he's often said that part two is Brunson more revered than the Ewings of the world, the Knicks legends if he's part of the team that wins it. All the answers yes, move over Ewing and Starks, I meaning Marmelo and all the guys that you know, they were names and they were you know La Trell's Freewell, that was my guy.
Speaker 2: I mean they were they were great moments for the.
Speaker 1: Next time they had had Jenny Skywalker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had a lot of great players, great moments. Mason, you know, some superstars. That dog yeah, I mean he was got haircuts based on this guy. Absolutely rest in peace. But the answer is yes, this team even like the ancillary guys off the bench are more revered than some of the legends cause they were part of that team. They're part of those highlights that live at the garden until the next time they do it.
Speaker 4: That's why there's such an emphasis on bunk organization like the Jets and the Browns and the Lions. The Lions are, you know, playing good football now, But what is it if you become the guy? You know, how many young quarterbacks that are confident, like I want to be the guy now?
Speaker 2: A lot of people don't want to play for like the Jets of the Browns.
Speaker 4: But I promise you if you were to be the person that took that team and finally did something, you got you got statues being made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're the hero.
Speaker 4: You have streets being named, you are in the Ring of Honor automatically like it's it's it's just it's wild to think how when a team doesn't have much history of winning that if you do win, you you leapfrog all the legends of that team.
Speaker 3: And another point I just want to make as far as being revered, Danny g talked about it. You mentioned it, you said, Michael Rappaport said, it, but it's so true. Brunston is absolutely the hero of New York because he resonates with the people of New York. Although everyone loved Youing and everyone loved those casting characters, what stood out the most Stark's dunking on Jordan right like that was the poster because Starks was like the guy that you could see yourself being kind of right.
Speaker 2: He wasn't a superstar.
Speaker 3: He was an extra flashy Brunson is that gritty dude that New Yorkers identify with and that they're rooting for because he plays tough. He doesn't have all these superstar qualities. He's not seven foot nothing. So he absolutely is revered his team. He's the guy, He's the hero if they win it all, man, it is so cool to see. So the answer is, yes, he's more revered than any nick legend before him because it's been It's been way long now, guys, no doubt.
Speaker 4: So they are your thoughts. At eight, seven, seven, nine nine on Fox, Dany g who we got. Let's go to Matt and SoCal and by the way, Pete hit us up and he goes. Brunson already more popular than Aaron Judge in New York right now, and he said New York would turn upside down at the Knicks finally want to tie it off, even though Judge had the walk off yesterday in a regular season I think they should let the fans party on the streets of New York. I think they should have, you know, the viewing parties that are in question right now, Let that happen. That's fun, that brings excitement.
Speaker 1: Man, imagine all the urination on those streets.
Speaker 3: So it would it would be great in the New York smell New York in the summer.
Speaker 1: Danny who got Matt the Man, the myth of mini series and so cal that.
Speaker 5: Good morning gentlemen, good morning.
Speaker 6: Natural contact backed by since Derbs. On this somewhat sunny Memorial Day, I'll go. I'll go as quick as I can. I know a lot of bitter angel fans down here, and uh, they're just they haven't been happy. They still can't figure out how they couldn't make out work. And I think one of the things that really got them out was I think in twenty twenty two they honored the World Series team. I heard those players had to pay for their own hotels to be honored.
Speaker 2: Us the Angels. Yeah, the Angels. Yeah, wow, that's yeah, that's weak.
Speaker 6: And then uh okay, see Dan Anteoni. At least from my perspective as a basketball guy, I mean, I love it. You got local guys from small colleges, you got so cow represented. And then I know Shay gets a bad rap, but I mean Shaye was that one piece and that Paul George trade that Jerry West didn't want to part with part ways with, so he did everything he can to hang on to him, and we're seeing why. Also, and then the things you guys mentioned about the Knicks, I think, no matter what happens, they get the finals healthy and basis because those former Knick players are court signed, Like just to see Ewing and Larry Johnson, they're like really backing this team and wanting him to do well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's amazing to see even if they even if the Knicks don't win, I think Brunson is very close, if not already put himself in that legendary Nick category where in years from now, if he were an old guy sitting courts, I'd be like, and there's Jalen Brunson, Like I think he's he's approaching. We forget though, that you would play for the Knicks forever. Yeah no, And I don't want that to go understated. The fact that these veteran players are there supporting these young guys.
Speaker 2: It's so cool to say it really is. Yeah, no doubt right.
Speaker 4: Listen, we're gonna go turn the page for some NFL there's a quarterback that is feeling disrespected.
Speaker 2: There's a contract in the workstuff, Bailey.
Speaker 4: This quarterback and the team are so far apart on money, and I want to know if you're on the player side or the team side, Like I want to know if you think this play deserves the cap.
Speaker 2: Player's side or the team side. Usually you want to start with the player.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I think the answer is obvious before we even hear the story.
Speaker 4: But you might break it down. You might say, no, he's not worth it. We'll get to that in more next Memorial Day. In for the great Dan, Patrick, Cavino, and Rich.
Speaker 7: This is Rob Parker, and I'm here with an important public service announcement. Whatever you do, do not listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco show. Fox Sports Radio asked me to do a promo but I'm here to do a no more, as in, don't listen to this show. No mo the host of two fools from Philly who have the dumbest takes ever and all of sports talk. And you know, if I'm saying that, they must really be bad. I have no idea why Fox Sports Radio picked this up, but I know where to put it down in the trash can. So please don't listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 2: No way, no how.
Speaker 8: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to the show gram program the professional Graham Covino and rich bunch of amateurs I know and for Dan Patrick, and Happy Memorial Day or enjoy your Memorial Day because we're celebrate in the fallen troops that for our freedoms, freedom's not free. Thank you guys for hanging out with us. Lying from the Fox Sports Radio Studio, Covino and Rich with Danny g We're on Monday through Friday, two to four on the West, five to seven on the East.
Speaker 2: And if we're not in your city, start chanting.
Speaker 3: Like the Angels fans, the No Tarp's movement, Take it happen.
Speaker 2: Want CNR, We want CNR. Those chants are happening everywhere right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because we got prizes, we got big poppies stopping by, we got baseball trivia, and we're willing to take our show on a road to a city near you, So let's make it happen. We heard Gwen Stefani Ramsey played some No Doubt play at the Sphere and I had a friend go and said that it was like, I mean, not surprising, but like pretty awesome, Like you're how long No Doubt and Gwen Stefani been doing it? I think I had enjoy anything at the Sphere. If your kidd enjoy fish shad, if you're if.
Speaker 4: You're a kid of the nineties, isn't a while to think you've known Gwen's Fani over thirty years and she still looks good.
Speaker 2: Yeah like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah for lying From the Fox Sports Radio Studios in LA and the DP Show is brought to you by True Green. Don't waste another weekend doing your own lawn care. Don't do it yourself. Partner with the official lawncare treatment provider of the PGA Tour and get a golf course quality lawn the easy way.
Speaker 4: Sign up at truegreen dot com. Then sit back and relax. Phone calls quick most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio. Let's go to your feedback and then a little NFL action.
Speaker 1: Danny J who we got David in Texas wants to weigh in on Brunson.
Speaker 2: Going up, Dave, K. Dave if you're just joining us.
Speaker 4: The question was, is somehow, some way the Knicks deliver, not only when tonight or the series. I'm saying if they beat the Thunder or Spurs in the finals, would Brunson leapprog like Patrick Ewing as the most popular Nick of the last fifty years.
Speaker 2: Yes, first of all, so.
Speaker 9: Glad to be on the show. I love you guys so much. Thanks man uh Jalen Brunson in the Knicks. It's a beautiful story, a real hard tugger, and yes, I think he would leap frog hugely Patrick Wheeling. Only problem is he's gonna get swallowed up by the Spurs or or the Thunder. It just you know, it's a wonderful story, but I don't think it happens all the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what Rich was saying off the air, taking Rich's approach, And you know, just because I don't want to suck the fun out of it. I still believe in their in their fire and in their grip, so I wouldn't count him out. But yeah, there is that feeling.
Speaker 1: You've got to believe. And then Rich, who would the Spurs match up Cat? Cat has been a matchup nightmare? So I think he would be a big piece in that NBA final.
Speaker 4: I would he might be, as I say, key to the game, like it might be him matching up Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean obviously Covino talked about the Spurs great defense in our one, so they may have some answers for Cat. But it would it would be a battle. It would not be a sweep. It would not be an easy run for the Spurs or the Thunder.
Speaker 2: Well let's see.
Speaker 1: Oh one last call on this top.
Speaker 4: Little Postino just hit us up and said, as a Spurs fan, I want to sleep on the knicks. They gave us fits earlier this year, they got a better shot than most think. And Fred said, Richie, you being a little biased. I see your worst Fest hoodie. He's from the New Bronfels, San Antonio area. My wife is, so maybe that's also why I'm a little like, Oh, Spurs are the team to root for over OKC, I got some love for San Antonio.
Speaker 3: Well, it was a pretty good fest until rich got there.
Speaker 1: Texas is the theme right now, Let's go to sugar Land. It's Roger.
Speaker 2: Roger.
Speaker 5: Hey, I'd love to talk about great teams that just had bad timing because there was someone standing in the way. But I want to start with, to me, one of the greatest leap frog stories ever, and I give you Kurt Warner. He took the Ram to a super and he came within a heartbeat of taking the Cardinals.
Speaker 4: Dude, he would have been I mean, Manning later did it for the Broncos and of course earlier with the Colts, but at that time he would have been I believe, the first at that time to win with two different teams.
Speaker 2: And he was so close.
Speaker 4: He was a Pittsburgh Steeler footing the end zone away from winning with two teams.
Speaker 3: Hey, speaking of the Cardinals. I know rich wants to talk some NFL, and of course we still want to talk some fights that happened over the weekend. Uh, there's some weak headlines we want to go over to involve Travis Kelcey, Big Poppies, got some trevy on baseball trivia and some prizes. But let's talk some NFL, man, because like you said, it's only a matter of time before we start diving into the NFL.
Speaker 2: Like, did you say Travis Kelsey and his girlfriend and.
Speaker 3: His girlfriend, as Richard Jefferson said four or five times.
Speaker 2: Not that tallis cheft, his girlfriend his girlfriend? I like that.
Speaker 4: And by the way, if you were chugging a beer courtside, would your girlfriend put her head down to like, oh Jesus.
Speaker 2: Yeah probably yeah.
Speaker 4: By the way, not that anyone would care about Taylor and traviy courtside, but that was a big story of the weekend. Do you think that's the closest Taylor and Travis haveff got to like just hang in with the general public, because think about the security they have on a regular basis, like they were just among the crowd.
Speaker 3: This is why you can't compare her fame to Michael Jackson's fame. Because Michael Jackson stopped delivers court side, they would have had to stop the game because the players wouldn't be able to concentrate.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 4: Wasn't there wasn't there an eighties game where they stopped the Winkers game, Right, That's that's that's the point. Yeah, it happened.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he had to leave the public.
Speaker 3: Couldn't handle a Michael Jackson in public. It seemed like they handled Taylor Swift just fine.
Speaker 4: Well, that guy brought up Kurt Warner. So let's go with that. Perfect transition. Yeah, transition c to the Arizona Cardinals. This is a story that's been brewing for a couple of days and it has to do it Kobe Brissette.
Speaker 1: Oh, this has been brewing for weeks, but it's.
Speaker 4: Come into a head now where they're saying that a rework deal between the Arizona Cardinals and Jacoby Brissett is not even close. Sources are saying they are significantly far apart and instead of a bummer, right, Like, you can only imagine how far apart, right when you think of the numbers. His deal currently pays him roughly five million dollars with a chance to grow by maybe another million or so.
Speaker 1: The guaranteed money is only a million and a half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Now, if you're saying, hey, Jacoby Brissett, Kyler Murray's gone, you're our guy until we sort of figure out what's next, or if they.
Speaker 2: Plan on another guy down the road, orf they're.
Speaker 4: Gonna end up working towards is beca guy that could start in the NFL?
Speaker 1: Danny, Yeah, they drafted Carson beck in the third round, but he's developed mental in the NFL, Like he's gonna need a couple of seasons.
Speaker 2: Like you gotta look at like, is he the guy?
Speaker 4: I mean, listen, dude, I'm a Ninersan brock Perty was mister irrelevant last pick. So you never know where you could find talent in the quarterback position. We know this with Tom Brady, we know this with Montana. Like not not every great quarterback is chosen in the first ten picks.
Speaker 2: But the Cardinals are a little lost at QB right now.
Speaker 4: So if you're saying, Jacoby Brissett, your resume speaks for itself. You've been a suitable backup slash spots starter, but you are our starter. He's not asking for Joe Burrow, Patrick Mahomes, Justin, Herbert brock Purty, Josh Allen type of money. He's not saying I want fifty sixty million dollars. But don't you think if you're starting quarterback in the NFL, just by pure comparison and pure numbers, any starting quarterback should be in the twenty something minimum twenty something million.
Speaker 3: That's uh, that's more than half of some of those guys could be mad math Steve No, Seriously, I mean, I think he's got a point there. So we're quick to take the side of the player over the organization. You always got to fight for the little guy, right, We're talking billion dollars franchises and a quarterback that gets, you know, a certain amount of time to make his money in his life and in his career. You could say that he's got this opportunity, but you could also say that he's earned this opportunity. If there's someone better, then why don't they have him? So regardless of what they think about him, he's got the starting job. Does he deserve forty to sixty million, No, but you know twenty million absolutely, I mean he's the starting quarterback on an NFL team. You know, Danny, I'll do a little more digging during the break in a few but I'm not seeing exact numbers.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I have the latest article about this pulled up. It says he is seeking at least twenty million dollars. Last year stats his numbers stand up. He passed for three three hundred and sixty six yards and twenty three tds, career highs. From week six on, when he took over as the starter for a Z. He was first in the league in completions and passing attempts. He was second in passing.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, like we said, he earned it, right, It's not like there he's a charity, uh charity sort of case here. He earned this position.
Speaker 1: Now they only got one win out of that, so thes weren't there.
Speaker 3: If there's someone better than get him, he's the guy, right Rick, Kyler Murray was making forty six over forty six a year.
Speaker 4: Rick kiss up, and he goes, guys, Coby Brissett has ass Come on, I mean, he's not shorting for.
Speaker 3: Kyler Murray money. But but and it's what the position calls for. So for example, put put yourself in that perspective in that situation. If you and I were, you know, working, and we got the Dan Patrick kick, right, I'm not expecting dan Patrick money. Well I shouldn't say that low, should I.
Speaker 2: Not a right? But you know you want to get something in between because you earned it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know you're saying, if you're starting in the NFL because you got you're still doing the same job. There's a step ladder. They need to meet you halfway up that line. Right, there's thirty two NFL teams. That means you are one of thirty two men that got us starting job in the NFL.
Speaker 3: People just don't like the story because even twenty million sounds like a lot to the average fellow. But when you're saying, that's half of what other players made at that position at the Cardinals, especially like I said, Kyler Murray was making over forty six. When you think about some of the great deals that were considered bargains, when guys like Baker Mayfield and a Super Bowl champion Sam Darnold made in the thirty to forty million dollar range, what were they considered bargains? Anyone under the marking would expect something competitive if they're doing that job. It doesn't mean he deserves superstar money. It doesn't mean he should be making I mean, Jalen Hurts is not even top ten. He's making fifty one million a year. He's saying twenty something. I think that's fair in the NFL for a starting.
Speaker 4: Quarter puctive to the to the the average guy. If you're working an office, you know, middle management, you know maybe young young dude or young woman in the workplace and you're on your come up and look and your your your contemporaries are all making six figures and you're like, yeah, like, could I.
Speaker 2: At least make like half of that. He's asking for like half of the going rate, essentially the going rate. Dak Prescott's the top, right, sixty million a year, I'm pretty sure. So he's asking for is he is he a third of the player of the.
Speaker 3: Deck is because it's a starting it's a starting quarterback job. That's how you have to look at it. He earned it, they're not. They're not giving it to him because he's a swell fella. Hey man, we picked your name out of a hat. That's not what's going on. So you got to look from his perspective, like, no, I'm starting because I'm the best you got, and I might not be worth all that other money, but it's still a starting quarterback position in the NFL that's got to be worth something now. And if he's saying twenty million, man, it's got to be close to that. And the other option is uh, Gardner, Minshe, Gardner Minshew or or Carson. And then they're saying, does he Minshew's also coming off of injury and and and also Minshew, like I I've proven just a straight up back up. Yeah, Minshew is a really fun backup.
Speaker 4: And and I say this politely because I'm you know, I credit all these guys for just making it way further than we all did in the world of sports. Yeah, but Gardner Minshew got got to where he is a little bit also based on the fact that he's a really personable, fun player like Minshew, Maney and everything. Like if he was just a regular backup, he's a jault and he's a good he's a good locker room guy as well. I think he's a he's a perfect but but I but I do think though Jacoby Brissett is probably a more formidable option for a team rebuilding like the Cardinals. You got to pay your QB. It's the position you got to pay. And I just think that a ton of money for for Persett. But then they're just taking advantage of the guy. And if you know what, what if now here's one other things and then we'll take your feedback next. If you are Bresett, do you worry that if you hold out too long they say, well, then f off will go Minshew and then you made then you got nothing. Would you do you believe that now they're gonna go with me? Like, because the other option would be if he's if he's stubborn, and they're like, yeah.
Speaker 2: No, we're just not doing that.
Speaker 3: It's about and you earlier knowing your value, and the more confident you are in that, then you can hold out for as long as you want. How much better is he than Minshew? He must know and believe that he is, and uh I believe that he is. So again, it's about fighting for the little guy. Yeah, I would feel the same way about you if you're doing the same job as some other guy has been there for years. I'm not saying you should be making what he made, you know, because he got to a different place in his career. But they can't lowball you either if you're doing the same job. Dude, feedback is wild.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at another intro like people, you know, he hasn't earned This guy wants to be twenty mil.
Speaker 2: But I I yeah, well, if you were doing that job, what would you expect.
Speaker 4: Where's the leverage? People are saying, yeah, they could just tell him to beat it.
Speaker 3: So it's the starting quarterback job, regardless of what you think about.
Speaker 4: You know his qualifications, he's got it. Well, you know what your thoughts will take your feedback. Next at eight seven to seven nine nine on Fox Plus, will do big poppy trivia, give me some prizes, talk a little more NBA, NFL all coming up right here in for Dan Patrick, Cavino, and Rich.
Speaker 8: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live every day at YouTube dot com slash The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, I love love that Ramsey's playing the old school begging, not the Monuskin version.
Speaker 2: Who does the all the Frankie VALI, thank you value.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know if that's the version he's playing right now. It's an all school Salem one Ramsey on the ones and twos. We got Danny g on the phones, our super producer at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox, We're Covino and Rich Covino, Steve Covino and Rich Davis, the Covino and Rich Ow and for Dan Patrick, and we hope you enjoy your Memorial Day. Thanks for checking us out on the iHeartRadio app and of course everything at Covino and Rich on social media, at Steve Cavino, at Rich Davis, so Jacoby Brissette. He's not asking for Dak Prescott type of money. He's not asking for let me see who's who's in the top ten. I just want to give you who's number ten. He's not asking for Lamar Jackson money fifty two million, dude.
Speaker 2: He's asking for twenty.
Speaker 4: And the sentiment is twenty for the starting quarterback job.
Speaker 3: It's this two sentiments. You know what it says, what's the value of that job? Then if you're not willing.
Speaker 4: To pay two sentiments, should an NFL quarterback automatically be pay at a certain amount if you're a starter in the NFL versus you know, I'm not just gonna give twenty million dollars to Jacobe Burssett. So you got to decide what side of this argument are you on, Like, is.
Speaker 3: He the best option they got? If not, why are they starting him? I know what you're saying this these thirty two men, they get this opportunity if he's not deservant of Let me ask you, seriously, rich, serious question. Would you would you wake up extra early in the morning to do morning radio if you're not getting paid for somewhere in the competitive morning radio job. You're doing a job. There's a certain value to that job. Do you know your value? Anyone who is saying anything against Jacobe Prissett, I mean, would you not want to get paid? It's it's interesting.
Speaker 4: I mean, whatever you do for a living, you wouldn't want extra money for that job. Can we just voluntarily do it? Can you not saying think about what you do for a living and know that they know what the competitive rates are.
Speaker 2: People just don't like to hear the twenty million part.
Speaker 3: But is twenty million compared to what these billionaires are making compared to what these other quarterbacks are making in the NFL. All these other guys I mentioned, aren't that great?
Speaker 1: He's asking for Justin Field's money. Twenty million is what the Jets gave Fields.
Speaker 4: And you know what, what is Justin Is Justin Fields that much higher value to you?
Speaker 1: What is he backup for the Chiefs? Now?
Speaker 3: They're low ball on the guy? I would fight. I would fight the same fight for anybody.
Speaker 4: Listening to that right now? Who got DANNYJ Let's go to Mississippi? Andre Ah, the old miss what's up Andre? How are you many?
Speaker 2: Andre?
Speaker 10: I'm doing great this morning?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 10: Hey? I'm a die hard Cardinal fan. I used to be a I used to be a great fan of then when they was in Saint Louis. Guess what guys I would cut dude, I would cut him, cut him? We sup? We not going to win any games this year? Look at I'm scaredule, look at the first thirteen fourteen games.
Speaker 4: So you're saying, you're saying you're not gonna win. So I pay this guy twenty mil. Like, just pay someone five mil. And then that's a fair point. Then you know, if fans don't want to hear that. Man, he sounds like angels top.
Speaker 2: Then you're calling it in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're you're expecting fans to show up at that type of attitude. If they were like, well, screw it and then give Minshew a bs starting job, the fans are not going to show up and they're gonna know that.
Speaker 1: So you want those numbers. Jacoby ended the season with last year with a better unit around him on the field.
Speaker 3: But at least what he said makes more sense than just not paying your starting quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now they have Jeremiah Love who's a great running back and a bigger weapon because he catches balls out the backfield. So, I mean, Cardinals fans need to have some hope, But you got to have a you know, suitable quarterback back there that can maintain the ship.
Speaker 4: For the fans. You need to attempt a winning product. By saying we're not even gonna pay Chacobe Brissett, we'll pay some you know, a backup to do the job for a year, you're pretty much saying we're giving up the year and no team even though listen, even though the teams that do know this ain't their year, You don't want to feel that going in. You don't want you don't want that feeling of like the team's not trying. That's but twenty mills a lot your thoughts at covin on.
Speaker 3: Richards for everybody listening right now. But for an NFL quarterback or an NFL quarterback, if ever lower, he'd be in the lower section of NFL starting qbs exactly. And it's not a long deal. He's not asking for some lengthy deal. He's saying, I'm going to be the starter for an NFL team. Here's what I should get paid me now. The previous quarterback was making over forty six million.
Speaker 2: We are gonna play big poppy trivia, give me some prizes.
Speaker 4: We'll talk a little baseball this hour, maybe a little more NFL and a random question for you. What happened thirty three years ago on this day, thirty three years ago, on this day, something awesome in the world of sports. I'll let you know what that is next right here, cnr in for Dan Patrick