Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of I Zeit. Need a minute here. I just found out the Oregon Secretary of State resigned.
Speaker 2: No oh no oh no, we're going to great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as they say, but I'm Jack. That is Miles, thank you for having me. These are some of the things that are trending. Ed. Sheeran was found not liable in that plagiarism case. They said his Thinking out Loud hit was ripped off from Marvin Gays Let's Get It On. They definitely have the same chord progression, but yeah, the melody like that, they just don't. It's not even close because that's.
Speaker 2: The one is like maybe, but it's the same.
Speaker 3: It is the same chord progression.
Speaker 2: And a lot of people pointed out that in his live shows he'll he'll kind of he'll break into Let's get It On while he's hitting those chords. But whatever, so many, so many fucking songs have like the same fucking four chord progression structure or whatever. You know what I mean is that like what a do do that thing? The one with the TLC one I get a little bit more that had like a.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he paid for that one. He paid for that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah, we realized that we had stolen this and that's.
Speaker 3: Where I heard it.
Speaker 2: The hit song No Scrubs by TLC. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, but yeah. I mean it's it's kind of like one of those weird things where like as a musician you get that certain chord progressions are just they're like they're used a lot and like to kind of hit somebody with a lawsuit. At times, it's like a little bit like opportunistic, like the last time Marvin Gaye, the state suited. They sued for Real and Robin Thick and they got theirs for that because that felt.
Speaker 3: I mean, when I heard it, I was like, are.
Speaker 2: They trying to update fucking that track? But it like yeah, almost. But Cheron said before this, He's like, if I lose this case, I'm quitting music.
Speaker 1: Damn. I hadn't watched the music video for that Ed Sheeran song, but when like it's kind of everywhere on the internet with people like being like compare this to this, and that video is embarrassing. For the Scrubs one, the Ed Sheeran Dan the seventeen this is what I'm calling it. Oh remember the name of it? New York City subway is trending because an unhousedman was choked to death on the subway as he was in the midst of a mental health crisis by a trained marine. And yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: The New York Times, though they get they get this Week's Passive Voice Award for this this shit happening.
Speaker 3: They did.
Speaker 2: So this guy, he is like he was known to be like a performer down there, and apparently he was like begging people for food and they were saying, like he was getting aggressive, harassing people. And then this marine got him in a rear naked choke and put him to sleep, but then just did not let up on the choke. And if you are not getting oxygen to your that's you're being strangled to death. The coroner ruled it a homicide.
Speaker 1: We still don't know.
Speaker 2: If they are going to be charges. However, I will just read this. This is the New York Times description of what happened.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: A thirty year old man died on the subway on Monday after he was placed in a choke hold, the police said. Witnesses said the victim had been acting in a quote hostile and erratic manner toward passengers on the train when the other man twenty four, moved to restrain him. The video is really fucked up, like this guy is just getting choked at, like he's out and this chokehold is still there. And like you're seeing a lot of gross ass people on Twitter right now celebrating this shit because they see this like this this man's death is like as justified because he was harassing people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like geg Place puts the truth about American society and inequality in people's face and so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, truly like this, this, all this vigilante shit is just so out of hand, and it's getting like worse and worse and worse. Like you you're seeing people intervene like on behalf of like Walmart and Ship and it's I don't know, man, it's it's it's it's really grim. And I think, now, you know, this man who lost his life, Jordan Neely, you know he was.
Speaker 1: Murdered, was murdered. Yeah, Jordan Neely was murdered. It should be the New York Times headline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again there is this thing of like, you know, you know, will there be charges or will the status quo of dehumanizing the unhoused and needy, just be enough for this marine to skate. I don't know, like it's it's a very it's man, another grim reminder of where we're at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you pass an eighth grade history test? The New York Times is asking quick.
Speaker 3: Pivot from them.
Speaker 2: Sorry, we're just going to cure this murder. But also, are you smarter than an eighth grader?
Speaker 1: Did you take a close one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, five for five? Five? Yeah, I fucked five, but one of them I was somewhat guessing on.
Speaker 2: The Henry Hudson one fucked me up. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't know. I forgot he was trying to get I should have known. Everyone was trying to go to Asia back then. That's what it was.
Speaker 1: It like a New York Veca.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were trying to go to Asia.
Speaker 1: He was trying to go to Asia.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the five because again like this speaking of like teacher appreciation Day, shout out the fucking history teachers that even got me to, even with my drug addle brain, got through these like five questions of basic eighth grade history. But all these national test results came in on Wednesday, and then there's just the test scores in US history for eighth graders just plummeted, just really bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They said that this has been a downward tread for like ten years, but then the pandemic just completely solidified it.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The five just for the history nerds at home, the five questions that The New York Times was asking, what were European explorers such as Henry Hudson looking for when they sailed the coast and rivers of North America in the sixteen hundreds. And my man, I was like, is it beat? Where's beaver pelts? The thing I remember was beaver they were trading. They got a whole lot of beaver repelts. They got a lot of beaver pelts. And it was a water trade route to Asia, a land route to South America, land to use for sugar plantations.
Speaker 1: Or religious freedom.
Speaker 2: Then another one was which of the following is a right guaranteed by the Bill of Rights of the US Constitution?
Speaker 1: Pretty easy? Free healthcare? Right? Oh wait, no, sorry? And by five out of five I meant I got it. I got them all red red.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, no, no, no, green, green is good. It was right to trial by combat. And then there's another one about George Washington and you know his policy of neutrality.
Speaker 1: It was was just a like reading comprehension one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was basically saying, like leave the like, treat the aggressors like.
Speaker 1: The non aggressors.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, then a real under softball one about civil war like reconstruction question.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean it's uh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think also I also feel like as I get older, my understanding of history has just grown exponentially too, because I've always been into history. But I think that combined with just being very engaged with everything that's going on and reading more like going like following my innate interest in history, prepared me. So I don't want to say, you know, what the fuck is going on? Eighth graders, I'm saying, how the fuck could you stand tall next to me a thirty eight year old?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't feel like I remembered any of these from school. I just like knew them from like supplemental like reading as in the articles, right right, But anyways, in your face eighth grader's year dumb hold that l real quick? Yeah, Pat Bev Russell Westbrook are saying they want to ring if the Lakers win. First of all, big if big if? Yeah, big if?
Speaker 3: Now hold on, now, let's not.
Speaker 2: I think they're trying to curse us by saying that shit, Like why get ahead of yourself? There's only for fucking one game in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess the podcast right, Like that's yeah. So, I mean there's a lot of a lot of content that you need, you need to fill time. We get it, man, I want to ring too. Well, do you think that will give us the headlines that we want to ring too?
Speaker 2: Our our guest on the latest episode of Miles and Jack on Matt Boostie is Harrison Fagan. He tweeted about it. He said, local podcaster demands the ring of Lakers championship and I was like, bro, you were just on our podcast talking about this mess. But anyway, Yeah, it's I don't know. I mean, it seems like in line with how trolley Pat Bev is and how out of sorts Russell Westbrook seems to be. So I kind of believe it, But again, I think it's a it's a four D troll move.
Speaker 3: To try and throw a curse upon the Lakers.
Speaker 1: And those work in sports. As we've talked, Oh, yeah, this is the one place that both of us believe in magical thinking. Oh and yeah, engage in it. Wantonly are getting goutied?
Speaker 2: As they used to say, right Kurt Goudy was like that guy who because what he what do he? Because remember he like said something. Then the opposite happened during the broadcast, and then they call it getting goutied.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I don't. I don't know that one. I mean there there's always the times one like the announcer will be like and he hasn't missed a free throw in the fourth quarter ever, Like I think they did that to Steph and then he missed like two in a row, Like yeah, baby.
Speaker 2: I could have swere it was something about yeah like it. It's the curse of the commentator basically, is what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I only acknowledge one gouty and that's my boy Trey with the sick ass hair. Dude sick do when I getting goutied is just what I do every time I go to the hairdresser and.
Speaker 3: Every time I go get me the clips. What's that? What's that fucking hair cutting place?
Speaker 2: As like for dudes to like watch sports and not talk one when we.
Speaker 1: Place I can be me. Sports clips yeah, sports clip yeah, sport clips.
Speaker 3: Hey, I want to get gouty.
Speaker 1: Let's go, uh all right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll look at that local news clip. We'll be right back and we're back. We should talk about my sixers got demolished yesterday.
Speaker 3: Hey, thirty four point that I wouldn't that's demolish. That was a light ding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got dinged up. We got gotten up a little bit, a little bend bender. If you listening to the episode that the govern listened to, the Mad Boosties episode that we recorded before it, seconds before disaster, seconds before Celtics fans, I don't think what will be that satisfied by. I wasn't like we're about to roll.
Speaker 3: No to the point that our guests thought you were a Celtics.
Speaker 2: Fan, Yeah you thought interesting folks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, got to check it out jack Ot Mad Boosties, it's already here.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think you know, light ding got a little ding.
Speaker 1: It went from everyone being like the Celtics are in real trouble here the sixer to being like, oh this is this one's over. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Everyone's like oh right, right right, this is what the odds were telling ye, this is anyway, this is what we thought was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still pulling. I'm still pulling. I feel like, you know, but the universe owes us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sixers Lakers. That's just like the only thing magical thinking is the only thing I have going for me, because heading into the series, I was like, they don't have a chance, and the only thing that is carrying me is like, maybe it's their year because it hasn't been in the past, which tends not to be.
Speaker 2: I would I would be a little concerned because given the GOP's strategy of praying for a disaster to help, you know, their twenty twenty four things, the last time the Sixers and Lakers played in the finals was seconds before nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: That's right, Wow, I I don't know. See, there's my history brain coming in again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That was one of the other questions on the New York Times history tests. Who played in the NBA Finals. Yeah, I'll never forget, all right. The Oregon Secretary of State oh Man, So, I was not familiar with this story, but you don't really need to be to appreciate the news clip, which is two people who own a dispensary that has been receiving suspiciously beneficial treatment with regards to like seven million dollars worth of beneficial treatment from Oregon. Finding out that the Secretary of State who made all that possible, who was under scrutiny, and they're champion, They're champion. They're going on there to be like we're we ride with her and like there's nothing to see here, folks. And they find out mid interview that the Secretary of State has resigned.
Speaker 2: I will just say this just so you can get the full satisfaction of it. Okay, these people own the second largest dispensary in Oregon, apparently called La Mota and the co founders again, they've had seven million dollars in state and federal tax lianss and they've been sued in Oregon circuit courts thirty times for a lot of them for non payment of bills. So these two knuckleheads decided, well, let's make it fucking rain straight cash money on the Governor Tina kotek on the Secretary of State Shamia Fagan, and the president of the Senate, the State Senate, Rob Wagner, and maybe those things will go away. And I just want to give in mind that not only the Secretary of State they normally do elections and things like that, but they also have oversight of the Oregon Liquor and Cannabis.
Speaker 1: Commission, which is a very important thing.
Speaker 2: So let's cut to this interview where they're being asked there like yo, like what's the deal, like you know, with your relationship to her, and you know, like this seems very shady, but you're saying, there's nothing to see because on top of her getting seventy seven thousand dollars a year at her salary for Secretary of State, she was taking ten grand a month from these people the dispenses that's about one that was her salary to work for these people.
Speaker 1: Your friends, Miles, have we learned nothing from Harlan Krust? Your friends?
Speaker 2: Well, at least we can watch this with satisfaction when these corrupt assholes learn that they're they're.
Speaker 1: Protective, they're both hot. They're both hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're both they're both hot, they're both high, and here we go. I feel like we learned so much for her, and we're thankful for the time that she spent with us, and we support whatever decisions she makes in future.
Speaker 1: I apologize for for stopping this.
Speaker 4: I think we need to break for just a second, and I apologize for doing this.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: She resigned. This dude's face, so his face just goes dead and his eyes go wide. Take like a couple of minutes, kinda get your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Oh no, oh no, wow, we got reaction.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It goes on and on and on. Eventually his his co conspirator gets up. It's like, I need a second. And then I love this shade of the reporter. When they go back to stud they're like, oh yeah, when she left camera, she was in tears. So yeah, it's wild to watch the full one eighty of them being like, hey, you know, I know she's not resigning, and we support her in whatever she does because I think it's like she's just very she's an upstanding person, she's a coach and my kids.
Speaker 1: But she resigned.
Speaker 2: Oh no, oh no, oh no. The dude did the Mike Pence when he was in the room with t.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, and like they're just throwing ship back and forth at each other and he's just like this is this is not just powers down.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, he tried to, he tried to power down.
Speaker 2: She turned up and God, it's like, this is the fucking this is this shit gives me life when you can see like corrupt people, greedy people who try and sidestep shit, not do not pay their fair share or whatever, and then.
Speaker 1: You get to watch them hold the whole ass l Prior to the person the news producer walking in, which kudos to this news producer who was was like, I just think we gotta get your reaction to this news that I don't just coincidentally just learned of in the middle of the interview, after getting a bunch of you guys smugly talking about how you guys are best friends. That's the thing, Like this does remind me of the Harlan crow thing a little bit, and that like they are leaning on like there, we're just really good friends. We're personal friends. She's the coaches. It's like, well that's not good. Like that's when somebody who is like in a position of power is giving you huge breaks and is also your close friends. Like that's doesn't make it worse than.
Speaker 2: Harlan Crowe, because I can at least say Harlan Crowe didn't have any business before the court, even in that broad context, although we know that his business before the court is to actually just pump millions of dollars into conservative causes and judiciary campaigns to reshape the cultural landscape of the country. However, this is so fucking blatant. It's like, yo, man, they want us for money. Can you help us out? Will give you ten grand a month?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And it turns out too, like a lot of court records were showing that Shemiah Fagan like was like kind of had.
Speaker 1: A lot of debt too.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if like they kind of did like a Sopranos type thing, like real gangster share.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, we know you got some bills, you know, help if you were fucking.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe make some of these uh investigations and audits into our business go away. There was one time there was an audit into I believe their business, and she accused herself after.
Speaker 1: The audit was completed. Mmmm, so killer timing there, you go. I just I shouldn't be involved with this audit that we actually just completed. I'm just realizing there's a conflict of interest.
Speaker 3: I just but they didn't do anything wrong.
Speaker 1: Basketball team, Yeah, they didn't.
Speaker 3: Do anything wrong. Based on the audit though, so but I but I am going to recuse myself.
Speaker 1: Recuse myself for the portion of turning it in the complete audit. Yes, there is a headline making the rounds that Haritos has a hard alcohol version that's dangerous. I feel like it was a little misleading in that it like it's five percent alcohol. It's not like alcohol. Yeah, it's not like they have a liquor that they're selling. It's just that it has the same kind of alcohol content as a like white Claw or something like that generally. But it's just that instead of being a malt a malted alcohol beverage like those, it is tequila and Heritos.
Speaker 2: Just simplify it. It's just like, you know, there's like sunny d Seltzers too. Now, yeah, they're just they're just coming for our child brains. Now they're like, yo, you want high see with malt liquor. I'm like, yeah, I guess. So if they made ser Urge with alcohol, oh man, I might come back with that commercial.
Speaker 1: Yeah sarge, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I guess, you know, everyone's the The Seltzer Wars continue on.
Speaker 1: Which was a rejected sequel in the I think it was a prequel actually in the Star Wars franchise, the Seltzer Wars. Yeah, they didn't like it. May the Fourth be with you and also with your spirit. Carrie Fisher got a Hollywood Walk of Fame star, which, like my main takeaway was I couldn't believe Carry Fisher didn't already have a Hollywood Walker Fame star, but also like it just once again shines the light on the arbitrariness of those Hollywood Walker fan stars.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, our last I check was fifty five k Becca Ramo superducers checked the website, I think announced basically a seventy five thousand dollars donation and you can get yours. So Jack, I'm I'm putting a lot of my money into a high yield savings account, so hopefully by the time I perish, there will be maybe three thousand dollars to go towards that seventy five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm sure this was just like Disney was like, this would be a fun thing to do for Star Wars Day. So that ye, then the money.
Speaker 2: Was But then her brother was like the other headline I saw was that her brother was like, oh, I've been cut out of this thing. Oh really yeah, which I guess he's considered. I didn't even Todd Fisher and he said it's like anything. You go to TMZ to be like, tell them, I'm upset about.
Speaker 1: Todd Fisher wanted a Walk of Fame star.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that's Carrie Fisher's brother and he was cut out of interesting and he didn't he wasn't invited to the thing like Mark Hamill and some other people. And he's like, yo, I'm her fucking brother.
Speaker 3: Hello. But I guess I don't know what their relationship is, so you.
Speaker 1: Know, you would think you would invite family of the deceased. Yeah, finally, big news. I think we know the sequel. A lot of people have been like, Cocaine Shark is the sequel to Cocaine Bear, but locals are baffled as five hundred pounds of cooked pasta was found in the woods just in New Jersey. So shout out to New Jersey just doing first of all, keeping weird New Jersey alive and also doing something that is I don't know, I would have guessed New Jersey if you made me guess where this happened. But also just a very boring sequel to cocaine bear, just like a really fasta bear pasta bear.
Speaker 2: The story of a bear who found five hundred pounds of pasta.
Speaker 1: And ate it and it wasn't even happy. Yeah, it's wild.
Speaker 2: Too, because apparently it was found by a woman and she shared the fucking picture like on Facebook and she's as a maating that it's I'm like, how do you know it's five hundred pounds? M because it looked like a big ass pile of pasta. Now five hundred pounds. I'm like, what is that two shacks? And is no, that's that's not one and a half shacks.
Speaker 1: Doesn't seem Yeah, it doesn't seem like five hundred pounds now that I'm looking at it here, Miles.
Speaker 2: It feels like it feels like Facebook mom sort of hyperbole. Yeah, it's like, that's five hundred pounds of pasta right there. I don't and I don't mean to say that it's not weird, but yeah, it is like how the who's doing that shit?
Speaker 3: Although they're probably loving it right now.
Speaker 2: To be like, look, it's a news story put dumped on that pasta.
Speaker 1: It feels like just you know, somebody did one of those TikTok videos where it's actually a fetish video of some sort, like the one where they like prepare nachos by spreading all the cheese on the counter, Like this is just the next level of that of like preparing a pasta dish in the woods, like mixing dirt and sticks and with it.
Speaker 2: Also, this is interesting this Facebook post from this woman na Jocknow it said, uh, you might say, who cares about pasta, but pasta has a pH.
Speaker 3: Level that will impact the water stream.
Speaker 2: That water stream is important to clean up because it feeds into the town's water supply. And then she commended the town council because it was one of the fastest cleanups she's ever seen.
Speaker 3: Did Nina?
Speaker 1: Did Nina put this most feel like a viral stunt. She's trying to get attention for the importance of the pH value of water streams, which I get.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, worthy cause because most people have no fucking idea how precious our water supplies are and how.
Speaker 1: Sure terribly regulated they are.
Speaker 3: So hey, if you got to do a pasta stunt, then do a pasta stunt.
Speaker 1: Pasta Harminny bears Pasta Stunts dot com.
Speaker 3: Paskis stunts dot com.
Speaker 2: Dude gets your pasta stunt right now? Do you're doing it for a starting at three hundred bucks?
Speaker 1: All right? Those are some of the things that are trending on this Thursday afternoon. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind of yourself, let's get the vaccine. Don't know nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Fight Bite