Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This is Girls Talk Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw of Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star.
Speaker 4: Well, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome back to Girls Talk Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw, the preferred Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. I'm Jessnavaras, joined alongside Aysian Morrison and Christie Scales here on this Wednesday afternoon here at the Beautiful Star in Frisco. Some rain, a little bit of a drizzle, some clouds, and it's actually feeling a little bit like fall over here in Frisco.
Speaker 3: So dare I say? Dare I say? It?
Speaker 4: Pumpkin season officially, So I hope everybody gets a celebratory pumpkin spice latte because it feels a little more like fallout side. But as far as all things, els Cowboys. Cowboys had a walk through practice today and we got the injury report, so I wanted to start off with that because I know there's some panic going on on social media. So here we are to alleviate the panic for you guys. Starting with wide receiver Brandon Cooks. He did not participate today with the knee injury, Tyler Smith hamstring injury, also did not participate. Donovan Wilson still dealing with that cath injury, also not participating, and Tyron Smith inkle was a full go again. It is important to note that it was a walk through today once again, just wanted to remind.
Speaker 3: You of that.
Speaker 4: And Christy, we just heard from Mike McCarthy in a press conference today that talked a little bit about it. What was your biggest takeaways from what he said about all of these guys as far as injuries and possible returns.
Speaker 5: That they're hopeful that Donovan Wilson may actually get some in practice work tomorrow when they have a real practice and not just a walkthrough or as McCarthy called it, a jog through this afternoon, but as a walk through. So I think that's promising. But that he and Tyler Smith today just on this. I'd work in resistance cords with the training staff, but I saw that as a positive that Donno maybe getting closer to getting.
Speaker 6: Back, and then also to a couple other things.
Speaker 7: I took from the press conference was how well Micha McCarthy spoke of Marque's bell and a Vidoga. And so when you start looking at the injuries that we're talking about, you say to yourself, Yeah, I think right now, given that the way those two gentlemen played that you could expect that maybe they're comfortable with them moving forward. If these guys are not ready to go, if they're especially with hamstrings, we've talked about it, they can be lingering. So why rush it if you've seen good performance from those guys already?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it sounds like Tyler Smith that it may take a little more time because there was no promise that he's taken full part tomorrow.
Speaker 8: He said he's a little behind.
Speaker 4: He said that Donno had kind of the lead, if you will, and who's closer to getting back. And it's just so interesting too because with Tyler Smith still being a bit of a question mark, and then Chumidoga, we don't do we know what happened to him in the game.
Speaker 5: Christie Reeve Adoga just got poked in the eye. He missed a couple of plays. He went back in. But then the next series is when they went with the younger guys. That was in the fourth quarter when they turned it over to the backup, so TJ. Bass went back in and then you had that's when awesome. Richards replaced Tyrone Smith at left tackle.
Speaker 4: Awesome, awesome, And what I wanted to mention about that, Ayusa, I'm going to defer to you for this one after you went back and you've watched this game, I'm assuming multiple times from.
Speaker 3: This point for your film study.
Speaker 4: What have you noticed from Chumaydoga and how he's playing in this position, given if he has to play again this weekend, what are some of the things that you know. Mike McCarthy mentioned he can get even better with a full week of practice. What are some of those things that you noticed that he can improve on? But also some things he did well well?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, one thing that worried me about Tuma at left tackle from training camp, which is just the footwork and when you get into a guard that minimizes some of that. You're in a phone booth, it's smaller, it's a smaller workspace.
Speaker 6: But I thought he handled power really well.
Speaker 7: There were some slippers at certain points in time, but I thought he held his own pretty well. And also too in the run game, he did some good things get into the second level.
Speaker 6: Also pin it and pull in.
Speaker 7: If you look at that big run by TP, the twenty five yarder, he pulls around and he seals off the gentleman's so he can make that cut. And so I just saw some good things with his movement. And yeah, like I said, encourage and play and I think it's more than enough to get you through because that interior that you just saw is one of the best you're going to see.
Speaker 6: This interior also is one of the best you're going to see. So he getting a lot of practice. But he getting a lot of practice, you understand.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, speaking of one of the best war we're gonna see, I used his film study never disappoints. You'd love to see it. What else I wanted to mention? Something else I want to mention rather is Brandon Cooks right? And when you saw his name pop up on the practice report, a little bit of panic kind of surges through your body because it is so early in all of that. Micha McCarthy talking about it a little bit more in the press conference, he said it did.
Speaker 3: Happen during the game.
Speaker 4: Now, what was interesting is, again you have this constant rotation of receivers in this room between veteran and younger guys that can come in and kind of alleviate. And we've talked about this before. It it extends a long longevi to give everybody's season when you're able to do that. What I wanted to ask you guys both is there was no indication really that Brandon Cooks was dealing with anything from what we saw.
Speaker 5: He came over to the sideline and he was talking with the athletic trainers, but he never sat on the bench and was intended to buy the athletic trainers or the team physicians and never went into the blue tint. I think that he went back in the game, but remember this was like later in the second half, and so honestly, a lot of the guys weren't going back in because if you recall it, with a forty to nothing lead, the end of that game looked like a preseason game where it was the young guys out there getting the reps as much as it.
Speaker 4: And this is why we love Christy because again on the broadcast version, but you can't really see all those things, and so I'm so glad you bring that up, Ayisha. What I wanted to ask you was, you know we you pointed it out that Mark Lane tweeted this, and Mark Lane I messaged him to get his title correct on here.
Speaker 3: I don't want to mess it up.
Speaker 4: Mark worked with the Texans Wire in USA today covering the Texans. He had tweeted out that Brandon Cooks is a guy that would take some better in days off when he was with the Texans. Again, you're talking about a guy that you you forget how seasoned he.
Speaker 3: Is when it comes to his time in the NFL.
Speaker 5: Right, and so let's take the temperature tomorrow after a full practice. Yes, Brandon Cooks will still be on the report tomorrow. If he's a d n P did not practice, then then okay, let's let's let's start to work.
Speaker 3: Turn up the panicle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, uh huh, Well for for for a again, if he's limited or you know, if it's a d n P, I'll be worried. If it's limited, I'll feel much better going into Sunday.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And that's why I wanted to kick off this first block talking about this because again, bottom line, no need to panic just yet and again.
Speaker 3: Brandon Cooks is a guy that all of these players.
Speaker 4: And coaches alike have praised NonStop of how he takes care of his body exactly. So if anybody knows his body well enough to understand when he should, you know, kind of take a step back, or if something's sore, kind of nagging him, it's Brandon Cooks. Brandon Cooks does nothing but preach of how to take care of your body to these young guys. There's a reason he's still playing at the level he played ten years in. There's a reason he's so fast ten years in. It's because he takes care of his body NonStop. Something we've just heard echoed over and over from really everybody. Cavante Turpin, Michael Gallup, Jalen Tolbert, I mean, Jalen Brooks. All of these guys will tell you NonStop, first thing you asked them about Brandon Cooks.
Speaker 3: Oh man, he tells me how to take care of my body, tells me how to eat right. I'm not worried about it yet.
Speaker 8: Well, it's selfishly.
Speaker 5: I want to see him go against Sauce Gardner, who was off a defensive rookie of the year last year the outstanding Jets cornerback, And it was Troy Aikman that pointed out Monday Night Football that the Jets, the way they usually play, they play sides. You know, they don't take their top guy and necessarily have them follow the top receiver around. So if the Jets continue to do that, then that means we'll get to see Sauce Gardner go against everybody, against Sad, against Brandon, against Gallops.
Speaker 8: So that's going to be fun to watch.
Speaker 4: And we're going to get into more of those key matchups as this podcast continues on as we get later into our show real quick, if you have any questions, you can always text us at eight one seven two nine zero three two ninety and what I mean always, I mean now until four to forty five.
Speaker 3: Central time when this podcast ends.
Speaker 4: Then we will not be available to answer questions. But until then, text us your questions. Let us know what you want to really talk about in terms of a Sunday's game against the Jets.
Speaker 3: Already into week two.
Speaker 4: Mode, let's go ahead and take our first break so we can just jump right into that.
Speaker 3: When we come back.
Speaker 4: We're talking key matchups, starting with the Jets defense.
Speaker 3: How much of a threat do.
Speaker 4: They actually post to the Dallas cowas offense getting into it and work. This is girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by jigsl the preferred dating partner of Dallas Cowboys, and We'll be right back.
Speaker 9: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby the yin to this burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold coola a journey to footopia.
Speaker 6: Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 8: That's what I like.
Speaker 1: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by jigsl the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. We're getting into all things key matchups with your Dallas Cowboys and the New York Jets in this segment, But first check out the latest and greatest addition to tours at AT and T Stadium and at the Star and Frisco Meet Jerry Jones, an interactive experience get a peek behind the curtain into the fascinating life of Jerry Jones with a focus on innovative fan experience. In partnership with AT and T, this interactive technology gives tour goers the opportunity to ask mister Jones a variety of questions and for more information and a book your tour, you can visit dallascowboys dot com slash tours there. Okay, ladies, let's talk a little bit Jets defense. I'm looking at their practice report right now and there's no defensive player on there for today. For what they reported, you have two O line guys and then you have Reese Hall, who who you were just gonna talk about, Christy. They're in the running back situation. All limited so again, nothing really on the Jet side of things to look at as far as injuries get. But I'm not sure if they had an actual practice, oh walk through, they had to walk.
Speaker 8: Through short week for them coming off a Monday night game.
Speaker 3: There you go. So let's get into it, because again, the talk of this.
Speaker 4: Jets team was obviously the situation with Aaron Rodgers going down officially out for the rest of the season. However, the other conversation was how they rallied to come back. They really played until the end of that game to win in overtime against the Bills as well. So let's get into it on the defensive side of the ball, because I think that's where a lot of conversation should go towards.
Speaker 3: First, we'll switch side.
Speaker 4: It's because we know kind of what the Cowboys defense can do and it is capable of. But let's start with the Jets defense against the Cowboys offense. Aisha our film study, gal is, what are some of the key matchups Keith things, anything really that we can kick off this conversation with that you notice right off the.
Speaker 6: Bat, Well, there's similarities.
Speaker 7: I think Mike McCarthy actually said it today in his press conference he said, this defensive line depth is one of the best we'll see, and that's one of the things that that's one of the things that the Cowboys have at their disposal, because you even saw in this past game that they put their second string defensive line out there and they were dominant. Also, so the Jets also have that luxury. They have obviously they have Quentin Williams, John Franklin Myers, Lord Quin Jefferson, will McDonald, who's a guy that I was very high on come out of the draft, and so they can give you give you defensive fronts and ways. But one of the biggest things I noticed was they're spacing as a defense, and I think that it really dictates a lot of what they're able to do. They line their defensive linemen will They line their defensive ends out so wide, and that's because they're trying to funnel you or basically force you to run the ball inside because that is their strength, right, So I think the Cowboys are going to have opportunities to run at the edges to take advantage of their spacing because they space, They kind of spread things out so their playmakers can make plays and they play a lot of zone too, which is.
Speaker 6: Something I noticed.
Speaker 7: They're they're not exotic like Wink where they're doing a lot.
Speaker 6: Of different fronts. They're trying to disguise them.
Speaker 8: Don't think that's they don't have to be.
Speaker 6: That's a great point by Christy.
Speaker 7: Yes, they don't have to be this throwing all these different things at you. One thing I will say is that the Cowboys offensive line is going to have to be ready to deal with the blitzing because when they blitz, they are successful because they have the opportunity to rush for and still get pressure. So I think there will be opportunities there in the secondary. Dek is very good against zone and we'll see how things fare. But those are just some of the things I noticed right away looking at them. And they also tackle very well too, so you're gonna have to try to get Yack opportunities out there as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that, Christy. I want to defer to you on this one. I used to just talking about the Jets secondary. Jordan Whitehead is a guy that I know you wanted to talk about specifically in this segment, and you know the three interceptions that he had just absolutely bullying Josh Allen during that Monday Night game. Let's talk about that, because you have a little interesting nugget.
Speaker 3: As you do every time I come on this podcast.
Speaker 4: I'm just amazed how Christy's brain works. What is your nugget for the day on Jordan Whitehead and what we.
Speaker 8: Should know about?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think a lot of folks heard are read on social media, and then it was picked up in national media about his three interceptions that he hit the season long incentive, a bonus if he had three interceptions this year. In his contract, there was a clause where he would make two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Didn't take him the season, he did it on Monday Night. Okay, so two hundred and fifty thousand dollars extra congratulations toward and that's awesome. But I wanted to talk about some of the Cowboys who also have incentives in their contracts. So, for example, Stefan Gilmour, who had an interception for the Cowboys on in Monday Nights when was Stefan If he makes first team All NFL, he gets a one million dollar bonus that's in his contract. If he plays seventy percent of defensive snaps two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. If he hits eighty percent of defensive snaps, that's another two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. So that'd be five hundred thousand dollars. If he plays ninety percent of defensive snaps, this is over the course of the whole season, five hundred thousand dollars added to the two fifty. The two fifty, so one million dollars. So, for example, Dak Prescott has one. If he plays fifty percent of offensive snaps and the Cowboys get a Super Bowl win, he gets a million dollar bonus. Malik Hooker with his new contract, if he has five interceptions this season and the Cowboys make the playoffs, he gets an extra five hundred thousand dollars. If he plays in eighty five percent of defensive snaps and the Cowboys make this makes the playoff, they make the playoffs sets an extra half million dollars.
Speaker 8: But there's one thing. There aren't too many players.
Speaker 5: This is this year we have a lot more incentive Leyden contracts than we've had in previous years. That's because when you're bringing in guys like Stefan Gilmour, when you're re signing a veteran like Malik Hooker, or when you have Tyrone Smith restructuring his contract. Tyrone took basically gave back some money to in restructuring. But if he plays fifty percent, sixty percent, seventy percent of snaps, he'll get million dollars in incentives for playing time. But here's the important thing to know about. There are two kinds of bonuses likely to be earned and not likely to be earned. If it's a likely to be earned incentive, like guys have per game active bonuses, you assume that guys are going to be able to play that money counts against your salary cap this year, but these less likely are not likely to be earned, like Malik getting five interceptions that would count against next year's cap. Interesting, but it's something that Jerry Jones.
Speaker 8: Would love to pay. He would love to.
Speaker 5: Pay Dak Prescott a million dollar bonus because it means we've won the Super Bowl and Dak has played at least fifty percent of snaps.
Speaker 8: So you know, it's very common to have per game active deal.
Speaker 5: So for example, Leyton vander Esh, his per game active bonus is twenty nine the thousand dollars four hundred twenty nine, four hundred and eleven dollars, So he was active on in the first game. He got that, but that's accounted for in the salary cap. But Jordan Lewis, who also gets in his contract twenty nine, four hundred and eleven dollars if he's active in a game, well, guess what. He wasn't active in that game last Sunday, Week one because of his injury, and so come in as he's working back from the foot injury, so he doesn't get that.
Speaker 6: So insane.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so you have you have to play.
Speaker 5: So like for example, let me, let me pick a player and then I'm going to have you guys play.
Speaker 8: I'm going to have you I'm going to have you play.
Speaker 7: He's just fac I'm a little shook, like, no, why are they money like that?
Speaker 4: The complications, I guess not complications that is not a great word for it, but the complexities that go into these contracts.
Speaker 3: That's a great point.
Speaker 5: Now let's let's let's use a veteran because we're talking about guys who are in the league and you bring them in in free agency and so these aren't necessarily part of you know, part of a standard rookie contract. They're not Dante Fowler. Okay, Dante Fowler, who is part of the defensive line rotation.
Speaker 8: And if you, if you were Dante's.
Speaker 5: Of agent, Aisha, what would you look for in terms of number of sacks? He has a certain number that if he reaches it this year, he's going to get five hundred thousand dollars if he reaches this number and the Cowboys make the playoffs.
Speaker 8: How many sacks?
Speaker 6: I can't remember how many last year, but I would say seven or eight.
Speaker 5: Seven or eight, Okay, I think that's that's that's all right. You think that's fair because because Jess, you are Jerry.
Speaker 8: And Stephen Jones all season. You're Jerry and Stephen Jones.
Speaker 5: Last year he had six sacks, but he only played thirty percent defensive snaps.
Speaker 8: So you so well are are yousu? Once eight?
Speaker 5: You are Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones and you're managing the salary caps?
Speaker 6: So like would you have?
Speaker 4: I would be panicking if that was my job, I'd have panic attacks non stop. I'm gonna say, I'm MNSA go seven. I think that's fair.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now I'm gonna go eat it.
Speaker 8: You guys nailed it.
Speaker 5: You are the perfect agent, Ayasha, and you are the perfect person salary cap manager there, jess So. Dante Fowler eight sacks and a playoff Berth half a million dollars, Dante Fowler ten sacks if he goes even more ten sacks and to playoff Berth one million dollars and.
Speaker 7: The way he looked yet last week, he's flying off that line of scraund.
Speaker 5: Hey, if they play the Giants line every week, Jerry's gonna pay a bunch of money.
Speaker 3: Real quick too. Something. Look, and I'm sure that's money that he doesn't mind.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: That means they're winning, they're playing well. Something I wanted to make sure to mention Christy, thank you.
Speaker 3: That was I love learning from you. I feel like we learned something every Sorry we.
Speaker 5: Kind of went down in the but the important thing is that you have to account.
Speaker 8: You have to budget for these things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you hope that they happen, but it means that you pay the piper next year.
Speaker 3: That makes sense real quick.
Speaker 4: I want to go back to this Jets defense because I was writing some notes something that I noticed and I went back and I watched today because I was watching the game, and then I was writing notes as I was watching the game, and then Aaron Rodgers everything happened there and I kind of was like, wait, am I actually seeing things as they are?
Speaker 5: Am?
Speaker 4: I kind of still shell shocked from that happening when rewatch some stuff today, Aisha, I'm gonna go back to you for this.
Speaker 6: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: Or did the Jets defense.
Speaker 4: Struggle with completing tackles? And I only say this because dan Quinn had pointed it out about his goal for this last game Sunday's game against the Giants, was that he really wanted the guys to complete the tackles and he said they only missed two tackles during the game last week, which is a good number to start on. Of course, I'm talking about the Cowboys defense. Got me thinking about the Jets defense because this is a highly ranked defense that we're talking about here. Is that something you noticed as well, is that they kind of struggle with completing tackles all the way through when you went back and watched the film.
Speaker 7: I actually think that they're a pretty pretty good tackling team.
Speaker 6: I feel like they did have some sure tackles. But I will say again, with.
Speaker 7: The like you talked about, it is like they're not playing man a lot.
Speaker 6: They're not playing man a lot.
Speaker 7: They're not so their secondary if you get those guys, you just got to make one guy missed with them, and there's gonna be space. That's how I look at it.
Speaker 6: And also too with their defensive line.
Speaker 7: You want to run these guys. You want to get them out of space. You're not gonna beat them with power. So to your point, I think that that's gonna happen on both sides of the ball. Like the Cowboys are gonna have to tackle well, but they also are gonna have to tackle well because I know the Cowboys will be looking to run that front seven and get them going sideline, the sideline.
Speaker 6: DG.
Speaker 4: Reid had eleven total tackles against the Bills last week. Quincy Willis ten.
Speaker 3: CJ.
Speaker 4: Moseley had seven. As far as sacks go, let's see, I'm gonna pull this up right now. Thank Jefferson had two sacks, Jamiir Johnson had one, Elwoods had won. John Franklin Myers had one, and then I believe that accounts for all five there. So as far as what the Cowboys offensive line needs to do, ladies in order to continue to work on that pass protection. That's something that they've emphasized for weeks now is that they want to make sure that pass pro is short up. They want to make sure that Dak Prescott has time to release the ball, given he wants that release time to be quick as well. What does this Cowboys offensive line need to do, Christy, in order to really make sure that one, Dak Prescott is avoiding a five sack game, and two to ensure that, you know, guys like to miridoga, there's not a drop off really on any side of the line that they're going to be working against you.
Speaker 5: Well, an interesting note was in Week one that Dak had the most time to pass in the of any NFL quarterback two point one to one seconds. That's an eternity in the NFL, and it's a tribute to the Cowboys offensive line and also throw in the backs and the tight ends who helped with pass protection as well.
Speaker 8: So I think that's important.
Speaker 5: With the Tuma Doga, I think that it's interesting that he knows what it's like to go against these Jets defensive linemen because he used to do it every day in practice. He is a Jets draft pick now. He spent last year in Atlanta and his two starts were at guard. He played two games at guard, but he actually came in as a as a tackle out of usc And. In fact, when the Jets drafted him in twenty nineteen, they made a trade with the Viking so that they could move up a spot and make sure that they got a doga in round three. And his rookie year, he actually started eight times at right tackle for the Jets, so he knows what it's like to go against Quinn and Williams. And by the way, Quentin Jefferson got the two sacks. And I'm so glad you mentioned him, Jess, because he's overshadowed when you play next to Quinn Williams. But Quinn Williams, he may not be a name that's familiar to a lot of Cowboys fans who kind of focus on just the Cowboys in the NFC, But ninety four million dollar player, I mean he is one of he is. Regard he and Aaron Donald. I think you could a lot of people would say Quinn Williams is behind maybe only a couple people at tackle.
Speaker 8: Aaron Donald will be in one of them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you mentioned, you mentioned how the Cowboys got the ball out fast and just kind of how they ran things. I think it's I think it should be a similar not a completely similar game plan, but doing similar things in that way. But I will say that once I with the team that tackles as well as the Jets does, will do rather and have the defensive line that they have. When you look at the Bills game, there were plenty of times you mentioned the running backs and stuff and stuff like that. When you look at the Bill there was not a third option. It wasn't it wasn't an outlet guy there for the quarterback to just dump the ball off to. He was looking downfield this whole time with all that pressure coming. So with the Cowboys, we saw this past this pass game that there's a there's a someone in the flats, there's an intermediate part person, and then there's someone in there.
Speaker 6: There's someone on every level. There's a passing option on every level.
Speaker 7: And I think that's gonna be important because the Jets took advantage of that with the Bills, and that's why Josh Josh Allen struggled a lot. And like we talked about the quick game screens, tiring these guys out with getting them on the move as opposed to trying to play power with power because that typically doesn't work with this defensive line.
Speaker 3: And I'm glad you brought that up too, because we can.
Speaker 4: Already hear the storylines just starting to uproar of Josh Allen and the interceptions and oh no, the Cowboys are playing the Jets this week. Automatically we know where that storyline is going to go without even having to say it. How Christy, I'm gonna we can bounce around on this based on what I saw and all three of us really have seen, how can the receivers continue to create the separation needed in order to avoid that? And is that something that you guys noticed both in this first game as far as separation that they were creating that maybe wasn't the case last season, and how they've shored that aspect up of the game to help Dak Prescott because we know it wasn't just a Dak Prescott issue. We know that we've talked about that. That's beating a dead horse. But as far as what the receivers have done to grow and really build over this offseason to help avoid that. What did you guys notice in this week one matchup and how that played a big factor?
Speaker 3: Well, everything given we're in a rain game, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 5: Everything was kind of toned down or some of the options were lesser off the table because of the rain situation. But in terms of like Ayisha says, with them playing zone, that means like you're not up in man press coverage, you know, like taking guys off, you know, like right at the line on the wide receivers trying to do that press coverage.
Speaker 8: The other thing is when.
Speaker 5: You're in a zone, that means you're playing back and you're seeing the quarterback. You're watching the quarterback as well as the guys who are coming into your area. And so a lot of times that I want to say it makes it easier for interceptions. But when you're playing man, your head's turned and you're not looking back towards the quarterback until the receiver turns or maybe puts his hands up, you know, like the ball is coming to him. And so it's a very different dynamic for a cornerback to be, you know, in man and in a zone.
Speaker 8: So I think you have to be real.
Speaker 5: You always have to be careful with the ball as a quarterback, but it's just different because in a zone, the defensive backs are watching you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, to answer your question, I do think it's going to be really contingent on the game plan and what Mike McCarthy and Brian Schottenheimer is to do to beat their zone. Like we talked about, though, it's not super exotic because they they're depending on They bank on the fact that their front four is going to get home and make things easier for them. However, if there is a quarterback that has time back there, if there is a quarterback that is methodical I'll lie Dak Prescott, then I definitely do think that there will be opportunity there for them to take advantage of that zone.
Speaker 6: So it can be great, but it can be hurtful.
Speaker 7: If you do have a quarterback that understands it well, and if you're banking on your defensive line to make to get pressure and that maybe doesn't happen as quickly as maybe they're used to, there should be opportunities there for the Cowboys to take advantage.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, we saw a lot of man.
Speaker 7: Beaters in the first game because they the Giants did play a lot more men.
Speaker 6: I don't know why, but they did. They played a lot more man in what I expected.
Speaker 7: And so but I will say also to going back and looking at saus Gardner, I know you're excited to see the matchup.
Speaker 6: There's some similarities in what.
Speaker 7: I saw Stefan Diggs have some success against him against the Bills. Even if he wasn't getting the ball, he was open quite a bit of times.
Speaker 6: You know, still young player, he's still learning. Like we've seen with Trayvon Diggs.
Speaker 7: There might be some opportunities for Ceedee Lamb to take advantage of.
Speaker 6: That young, younger corner.
Speaker 7: But also also there is there's oh, Barnicles, I lost my train of thought.
Speaker 6: But yeah, that's that's something that I'm looking for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, amazing kind of thought.
Speaker 4: Well, let's go ahead and transition. In the meantime, you can text us your questions at eight one, seven, two, nine zero three two ninety eight. We're gonna take our next break, and when we can come back, we're gonna talk about the Cowboys defense, what a feeding frenzy they can have if they continue to play like they did in Week one. We're gonna talk all about it. This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jig South, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back at Jigsaw Dating. We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who'll put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through me conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating today, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 9: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio, sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection.
Speaker 3: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 9: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool PETSI finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 8: That's what I like.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Welcome back to Girls Talk, Voys Talk. Person If I tick saw the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. We're going to talk all about the.
Speaker 3: Cowboys defense and what that means for the Jets offense.
Speaker 4: But first, head to the pro Shop at Arlington Parks Mall in Arlington, Texas on Saturday, September twenty third, between eleven am and four pm. Four Cowboys Collections on tour. See rare team archives, customize hat wear, grab a gift with purchase, and enter for a chance to win a giveaway. Stay tuned for more tour stops coming throughout the season.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds fun. My parents would love that. Okay, ladies, let's get right into it.
Speaker 4: Dallas Cowboys defense the talk of the town, the talk of the NFL right now, and really excited to see this defense play in not a rain game. I'm excited for the whole team, but specifically what this defense can do when they're going against a full force Jets offense, even with Zach Wilson in the pocket. And we'll get into that and why this isn't a game that you can really let off the brakes right. It's all full steam ahead. There's no letting up, even if with Zack Wilson they're not senior in rogers. However, let's go into this, Aysha. We'll start with you when talking in terms of Zack Wilson, now that you went back and you watched a little bit more, what kind of threat does he pose to opposing defenses when he is playing, and given he's still learning, there's still a lot. But again, you just can't count anybody out in this league.
Speaker 3: There's a reason there.
Speaker 4: In the NFL, he's now their guy, right, But what are some things that you saw that he could consider a strength in his game?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 6: He I mean, he gonna run.
Speaker 7: Whether you look at that as a good thing or a bad thing.
Speaker 6: He's going to run.
Speaker 7: He's probably going to have to, honestly, because you know their tackle position. You just said that there were two tackles on the injury report. That is where they're indeed the weakest. First of all, I would laugh, and also too because Conor McGovern playing center for them is hilarious. Why do people keep taking the people that we have as we had his guards and making them centers.
Speaker 6: That's funny to me.
Speaker 5: Huh, different guy, Connor mcgoverny.
Speaker 8: I believe there are two Connor McGovern. So we'll double check on that.
Speaker 7: Wait what it's a totally different here. Oh well, because I was looking at.
Speaker 6: Those there are two.
Speaker 7: Okay, thank you, thank you Christy, because I was like, how did they take another center of the Cowboys and make another guard and making my bad anyway, But I was looking at the Yeah, their tackle position is where they've been attacked like heavily and they struggle there. So I'm I'm looking at but also too. As far as Zach Wilson, Yeah, he's gonna run the ball. He's gonna probably have opportunities to run the ball. I don't know if they design anything for him, but he's they might be, yeah, because they they're If I'm looking at the Cowboys last week. We talked about it yesterday, why would you try to pass if you had to, like, unless you absolutely have to. Their teams are going to try to go heavy on their run, whether it's r PO run action, whatever.
Speaker 6: The case may be. Try to get some passing out of that.
Speaker 7: But I expect for them to come out here with Breeshall, who I know you're so excited to talk about and Dalvin Cook and really try to take it to the Cowboys. As far as running the ball, with sprinkling in some movement from Zach Wilson.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think the I think the movement.
Speaker 5: My guess would be it would be by design and I don't mean running like quarterback draws or you know, designing quarterback run plays, but have him on the move and in terms of like rolling the pocket and things like that, you know, and get getting them to move so you pull up.
Speaker 8: Definitely not the same.
Speaker 6: This is definitely not the same Conn.
Speaker 5: It's it's very it's very confusing because they came in I think at the same time they did. They both play offensive line and so it's very confusing. But but our our Connor, you know, uh from a Penn state and uh anyway, different guy anyway, Okay, so sorry, I'm not laughing.
Speaker 3: I'm laughing at like, I don't know what I was expecting. You should have showed me.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: With the Boogie Knight's mustache there, it was a great Oneah.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Carter McGovern for the mustache.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But Breece Hall, I'm so glad that you guys mentioned him because he was actually last year the second round pick of the New York Jets, but he was the first overall running back taken in the draft last year, and unfortunately his year was cut short. He only played in seven games because he had the knee injury of the torn ACL in Week seven. But guy out of Iowa State, And just to put Breis Hall in perspective, you saw him rip that eighty three yard run on his second carry of the game Monday Night, and his first run was twenty six yards, So he ended up averaging over twelve and a half yards per carry on Monday Night and his first game back since the ACL injury, he only played thirty percent of the snaps on Monday Night. But here's this is to put it in perspective, He's only played eight NFL games in his career. He's averaging over seven and a half yards every time he touches the ball. Does that seem high? Yeah, it's because it is. It's the most in NFL history, higher through eight games played, Higher than Adrian Peterson, higher than Bo Jackson, higher than herschel Walker, higher.
Speaker 8: Than Billy Simms.
Speaker 5: I mean, so this guy is he's just tearing up the league, you know, with just eight games played. But and he also can catch the ball out of the backfield, So in terms of scrimmage yards about one hundred yards a game. So I mean, he's just he's amazing and and if you don't hand it to him, you hand it to Dalvin Cook. Although Dalvin actually did better catching the ball Monday night. He had he was three for three, targeted three times and caught all three.
Speaker 8: So wow, what a one to.
Speaker 5: Two punch there at running back and also being able to get it to him out in the flat if you're getting a lot of pressure.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Something I wanted to mention is I'm looking at these stats and they didn't have any rushing touchdowns during this game the Jets. They only had one receiving touchdowns.
Speaker 8: Oh but one of the great ones of the season.
Speaker 4: However, However, something I didn't realize is Greg Zurloin, as you guys may or may not remember, is their kicker that I was gonna says. Not to be mistaken with Greg the leg same guy, you're good.
Speaker 3: He put ten points on the.
Speaker 4: Board for the Jets, three field goals, one extra point to me when I'm looking at this game, and given look, the pieces were falling together for this team after the Aaron Rodgers injury. We know you're not going to see the same kind of team. They have a whole week to prepare for this game, given it's a travel game for them coming.
Speaker 3: To a T and T stadium.
Speaker 4: To me, the way special teams has been playing for the Cowboys and the way that they have shifted the converse become an important aspect of You don't really talk about special teams a lot, right unless something big.
Speaker 8: Happens, unless it's our podcast, unless say.
Speaker 4: That we appreciate special teams here on Girls Stock Boys Talk. But something that I want to make mention of is it will be very interesting to see how.
Speaker 3: Wanie Thomas, C. J.
Speaker 4: Goodwin, Noah Igbinoghany, that dynamic threat can really attack somebody like Greg Zurloin who has worked under John Fossil before, and how John Fossil knows his mechanics of kicking because Christy, like you talked about, there's so many mechanics and timing things that go into being a good kicker. Greg's aerline working under John Fossil. Maybe there's a little history there that you go back and you're like, I remember he could do.
Speaker 3: This and he was prone to doing this.
Speaker 4: To where your special teams can kind of attack that a little bit. I'm interested to see that aspect of the game.
Speaker 3: When I look at I think you're right.
Speaker 5: And you mentioned having two offensive linemen on the injury report and now they'll probably play, you know, is it to start.
Speaker 8: Tackles And it was also a walk through and it was a walkthrough.
Speaker 5: But anytime you have like an injury situation along the offensive line, remember those guys block for field goals and extra points, so there could be some vulnerabilities along the offensive line there. But you know, yesterday in terms of special teams, we were talking about Xavier Gibson from Dallas Woodrow Wilson High School and from Steven F.
Speaker 8: Austin.
Speaker 5: They're in Acadochus in East Texas. But he's the one that had the punt return touchdown in overtime, only the third time in NFL history for a punt return touchdown in overtime. But he was actually named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week today, so congratulations to him. But I do want to talk to Brian Anger, the Cowboys punter, either today or tomorrow in the locker room or hopefully pregame. If I don't get to talk to him, during the week, but you know you're going to do directional punting anyway, but be interesting to see the game plan on that.
Speaker 8: The good news is with it.
Speaker 5: Being a home game and you know, a controlled environment, and Brandon Aubrey just banged every kickoff through the back of the end zone anyway, so you can you can take those guys out of the game on kickoff return by just putting it through the back of the end zone.
Speaker 8: But punts could be very fun on Sunday.
Speaker 3: On both sides of the book, exactly, on both sides.
Speaker 4: I just did a story on Cavanti Turpin this morning which had me going back to the videos of the two homers that he had is during the twenty twenty two preseason against the Chargersgery.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that was out.
Speaker 4: It so fun and I just got excited again. And so we talked about him a lot in here. But Ayisha, what is something about special teams offense in general? Cowboys defense? One more thing you want to mention. Don't give them something too good though, because keep on, we have a full day tomorrow to talk about more key matchups. Yeah, but give them something like, let's tease this audience a little bit.
Speaker 7: Something good I'm really thinking.
Speaker 6: I was looking at y'all don't laugh. First of all, the jez like drafting from Iowa State.
Speaker 7: I just noticed that because they have Will McDonald from Iowa State, Allan Lazard was from well, they ain't drafting, but they brought him in. He's from Io State. They got a lot of Iowa State humans up there. Anyway, I was.
Speaker 6: Just looking at how tall Lazard.
Speaker 3: Is six ' five.
Speaker 6: I wonder if Trayvon Diggs.
Speaker 7: Takes him on or how they decide to do that because his height.
Speaker 6: I think, who's how tall is Stepan Let's.
Speaker 8: Let me see on that.
Speaker 7: I just feel like that's a big and Alan Lazard is their deep threat. He's one of their deep threats. And so I'm trying to figure out you don't feel like.
Speaker 5: That, Well, it's just that Garrett Wilson is who was AFC offensive who was NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year last year and had that amazing two yard touchdown catch on Monday Night.
Speaker 8: I mean, he's he's outstanding. He's arguably the best receiver in the league.
Speaker 6: And so.
Speaker 8: If they if they do decide to trail someone, you.
Speaker 7: Would think it will be him. But I was I don't wondering what the hype I was with the height difference. It matters with six or five sixty five. I mean you're thinking about length, You're thinking about like those things, and I'm like, you know, maybe Trayvon is more suited for that, and then maybe you put a Gilmore.
Speaker 8: So Gilmore is six foot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a huge height difference.
Speaker 8: But Trayvon six to one.
Speaker 5: But he's still he's long's.
Speaker 7: He's so I was just sorry, That's just something I was looking at to see.
Speaker 5: But you know, there's something that we can you know, kind of work on this week and see if we can find out.
Speaker 4: Well. The good news is is that we're heading to the locker room literally right now. Uh So we're going to wrap things up a little bit early today just because again we want to make sure that we're getting you guys really good insight from the locker room talking to some players about some key matchups that I know we still have notes on here.
Speaker 3: So we'll be back here, same time.
Speaker 4: Same place, four o'clock Central time. Uh here on Girls talk, boys talk. Until then, have a great rest of your day for Jess, Christy and Aisha. We'll see you tomorrow again Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by jigs Out, the preferred dating partner Dallas Cowboys have a great Day.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.