Speaker 1: Let's welcome Saints all time sacks leader and the coach who's on a mission to bring Texas Longhorns a title. Here's Cam Jordan and Steve Sarkisian.
Speaker 2: How y'all doing today?
Speaker 3: Love it, love it love going live? Can't mess this up? No, we can't, Coach Steve Sarkisian, Coach Sark, I've heard a lot of different terms. What do you prefer to be called?
Speaker 2: Coach Sart? Okay, all right, Coach Sart. Appreciate you for tuning in too.
Speaker 3: Off the edge of the podcast live here in Austin, via south by Southwest. I'm super excited with Sportico being here enabling us to do something like this. It's rare to be, like I said, just live with actual audiences. Normally I'm in here talking on a screen.
Speaker 2: We do whatever.
Speaker 3: But I heard it was your birthday. It was you know, I'm not going to put a number out there. Fifty person, can you dude, I don't feel fifty one. You don't look fifty one. Feel fifty one when I think fifty one either way? You know, I'm thinking like that's like the Bill Belichick's like they look fifty one, but Bill's is probably what seventy seventy three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't have a good game. I don't know if I'm going to be coaching at seventy three. Man, he Pete Carroll, I don't know seventy three years old.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. The love of the game is always in you, though, I mean, it's what got you the ut. True.
Speaker 3: But you know, so along with happy birthday, you guys want to join in on me, I'm gonna say happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday, dear coach.
Speaker 2: Sarkisian, Sure, happy birthday to you. Great.
Speaker 4: Did you hear the longhorns? We're singing a little louder. We have a longhorns here today. Gosh, a lot of longhorns here today.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. My manager's longhorse. She's a long horn forever. Whatever that is. It's go beers my way.
Speaker 3: You know, as a coach, it's got to be awesome to have a head coach position like this one. I mean, you've got you've worked for the pack when we face each other, but now you know you're here.
Speaker 2: Tell me a little bit about that experience. It's been. It's been an amazing experience, you know, I am.
Speaker 4: I've been a head coach three times now at three really pretty incredible places. University of Washington, USC, and then to get this opportunity to be at Texas, which in my opinion is the best job of the country that you know, hands down, from not only the history and tradition the University of Texas, the education, the school, but to.
Speaker 2: Be in Austin.
Speaker 4: All right, we're two million people, no pro sports, so all this stuff that's happening and it's still about UT is still.
Speaker 2: About what we're doing on the forty acres. Absolutely. I was like, Saturday is the day to share down the city. It's about UT burnt orange, yes, white? Is there gray in there? No? I just not at a crag and white. That's it.
Speaker 3: And you just signed an extension through twenty thirty one, so you're going to be here for the foreseeable future, hopefully to bring a championship to that's the plan.
Speaker 2: Love that.
Speaker 3: I mean twenty thirty one. I will not be playing by the n No, I'm a year fifteen, but uh no, shot.
Speaker 2: Year fifteen, so real quick. So if those that don't.
Speaker 4: Know, I was offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons in twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen, and I had to try to like game plan around this guy, right, game plan around you. And I'll never forget a couple really critical plays. We have a fourth and goal in the dome and we ran a one back power and Austin Hooper was trying to block you, and you were supposed to You're supposed to be on our right. This whole thing was set up to run it to our left, and you're ass lined up on our left and destroyed Austin Hooper. The play gets stopped, we lose the game, and y'all beat us. Man, I've got a pigeon fervor for destroying tight ends.
Speaker 2: It destroyed them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean my dad was a tight end, so you can imagine I grew up trying to destroy my dad. Oh, I take it out on every tight end I see.
Speaker 2: Is that? Okay?
Speaker 4: Going through your program, you're supposed to be interviewing me, but I want to ask you, so here we go. Okay, So did you that? Is that your favorite rivalry Saints Falcons. That's the only rivalry that matters. It's awesome, right, absolutely right. Everybody says that about the NFL that there's not rivalries like that. That is a real rivalry. Maneah, that thing is nasty, but it's fun too. I enjoyed AFC, like North or something.
Speaker 3: They hate everybody then C North like Packers hate the Vikings, and Vikings hate the Packers, but they also hate Chicago and Detroit. It's a lot of hate. I'm singlarly focused here. If it's red and black, I just want to kick you. You know, it's not your fault, but I want to trip you and not help you out.
Speaker 2: You know. It's the one or two games a year that I'm like, screw you guys.
Speaker 4: Do you remember the one year Coach Peyton is talking talking trash to which which game is that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: On you all sidelines to Freeman are running back and they get into it on your sidelines.
Speaker 2: I was like, dude, that's the head coach. I remember what. I'm like, Coach Payton is getting out. That's my look. Coach Payton is my guy.
Speaker 3: So the only time that really stuck out with him was it was a playoff game against Philadelphia and we're up but like three touchdowns and he looks at Malcolm Jenkins, who was a safety for US was a safety on the field of Duffy eagle side and like looked at him.
Speaker 2: Turns around, calls a bomb over Malcolm. It happens drops a touchdown, and he's right there talking it the whole time.
Speaker 3: I'm like, and I'm sitting behind him. That's my coach. You gotta love the passion that it happens. I mean, but even before you were at Atlanta, you were at you dub when we played Yeah, you know, in my last, my last game of my senior year, we lost to you guys, eliminated from boeligibility for the first time in my college career. It's not like I had a bad game, though, you know, I feel like if we roll Tate, can somebody roll this tape?
Speaker 2: There was there was a certain play.
Speaker 3: That I'm forever remember as the last game of my college career. You know, It's like, look at this old on the right side, number ninety seven, pre number ninety four, you know, speed of power, which would be a staple for the rest of my career. We go for the tuddy. You know, it's not a bad way into college career to lose but also score. It's very conflicting, very conflicting are we gonna show the last play of the.
Speaker 2: Game or not. I mean again, we're not for everybody out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we get the ball down to the two yard line and we're down by three, and we could kick a field goal to tie the game and go to overtime, and we decided to go goal last play of the game. We run the power play yep, and we score and we I think we'm on of storm Joss Field.
Speaker 2: It probably happened. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't recall that one because you know, like I was, like I said, it was very conflicting. I scored, I was like, hurrah me, but also damn we lost. It was like overly like, hey, you know what I'll seem in the league.
Speaker 2: A ton of respect for you, man, I appreciate a ton of respect. It's a real, real, real ball player.
Speaker 3: We've we've had some good batts in college and in the league. I mean, yes, yeah, let's take to seventeen eighteen. You know when it's my favorite over Yeah, it's her way. But you know, I just want to, uh want to say, as we're sitting in Austin, what makes Austin so special? And if somebody says Terry blacks. That's not what I'm I'm not telling you.
Speaker 2: I get it. I get it. You know, I got to be text tech barbecue as elite, and I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't single out any barbecue spot because I can name off four or five and inevitably the fifth one is going to say and they're gonna get on me.
Speaker 2: Not from us. But the barbecue is good.
Speaker 4: You know what I love about this place is this like it's it's forever growing, right, how fast it's growing, how innovative it is. I think this is a really young city. You know, there's a lot of young people. It's vibrant, it's healthy, there's a lot of cool things about it. But at the same token, like we've got this campus right that's divided. There's a campus, and there's a downtown, and there's a capital the state of Texas right in Austin.
Speaker 2: That I think it just kind of makes it unique.
Speaker 4: Right, Here's this really conservative state, here's this really liberal city, probably the most liberal city in the state.
Speaker 2: Here's this campus, and we're all intertwined.
Speaker 4: That makes us all who we are, you know, and it makes Austin Austin Austin, n It's so unique and the fact that whether it's south By Southwest, whether it's acl where there's Formula one races, whether it's the music scene, whether it's the food scene, whether it's UT football on every Saturday, there's so much to do. And by the way, the weather's awesome. So it's like we got the best of a lot of world's going right now.
Speaker 2: It's probably why he said it's the best head coach job in the world. I get it. It's pretty good. I've literally been coming here.
Speaker 3: I've had teammates go to UT from Kenny Vacaro, Alex Okaford, Lil Jordan Humphreys, Malcolm Roach, the most current one Jalen Ford, and they're always great guys.
Speaker 2: I just appreciate a school that puts out good people. Yeah, you know, like you don't have to worry about is he pretentious? Is he a knucklehead? Like? Oh, he's actually like Noe who I've already known. They're good people. Big Sean Rodgers would be my first UT guy.
Speaker 3: If you guys remember that name, Big Baby Rogers six for five, three hundred. I'm gonna be polite and say forty pounds yeah, yeah, but I mean UT makes quality products. You know, we've got an Arizona Arizona kid, but John Robinson, that's right.
Speaker 2: Sadly he's in red and black. But like I won't hold that, I will, I will.
Speaker 3: It's trash but burnt orange and why Bjeon was a problem and love to hear it. I mean, just to think about I guess the new face which our connection would be would be Arch Manning and the Mannings from new work that you know, it's I can't say new faces being there for what like three years, two years going into year three now yeah m hm, And you know in my mind he's a Manning, so he's going to do well.
Speaker 2: Just is what it is. But tell me what is Arch Manning, you know, being the new QB And like, what does what does that do for the face of the program. Well, I think we've grown, right.
Speaker 4: You come in year one, just like you take over any program, and you go through those growing pains of changing the culture, trying to bring in the players that fit you, your personality, your your team, your scheme, all the things. And ye're one was tough. We were five and seven football team. And you go into year two and you're like, okay, we're fighting scratching Klwan. Bijeon's like the one guy we got. We had Roshan Johnson made like a two headed monster. And we go eight and five. After year when we had no players drafted, I said, two guys to the combine. Year two, we get five guys drafted. Bijon goes in the first round, top ten picks. Everything's great, and I think a credit to the Manning family and really to this day, I haven't talked to Peyton or Eli about about Arch. This was about Cooper and Ellen and obviously Grandpa Grandpa Goto.
Speaker 2: Of course, you know he's gonna get of course he was at the end of she get involved with Arch.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day, they handled it so well and they can see the vision of where we were headed. Granted, the next two years we go to the college Football Playoff, we're in the semi finals. We've set twenty five guys to the NFL Combine, and now we've got a really good football team. We're very talented, we're really young. But I think part of that is some of those recruits three years ago. Wait, Arch is going to Texas too. Let's get on board, and I think this thing is continue to grow and not to put too much on him because, as you know, man, you win as a team in football. This is the ultimate team sport. It's not about one guy. But you always got to have a quarterback, and if you don't have one, it's really hard. I don't care if it's little league or in the league you're in in the NFL, and it's really hard.
Speaker 2: It would be the perfect example.
Speaker 4: Yes, And so I think we've got a quarterback in Arch and I think we've got a great leader who does things the right way. But I think he's also surrounded by a really talented football team.
Speaker 2: So we'll see what happens. Man. You know, the expectations are high in Austin. I can tell you that. I mean the nil was high. When I saw numbers, I say, good to god, he's making NFL money now.
Speaker 3: But I think, you know, with his background, his temperament, the way that he comes from, the Mannings, you know, it's sort of like he's unfazed by it all.
Speaker 2: I mean, it looks to me like he's well poised. He is. He's just a normal guy.
Speaker 4: Like I always say, if you took the name off the back of his jersey and just let him go live life. He wouldn't have to change. He would be who he is. He's a great teammate. He works harder at anybody, like the best guys do. He's supportive, he cares about the little people. He cares about the big name people. It doesn't matter to him. It's who you are as a person.
Speaker 2: And in the end that I.
Speaker 4: Think that that's kind of just his approach to life. And so I don't think it's about the money necessarily as it is. Hey, I just want to be a really good player. If I can be the quarterback of the team at Texas, that that win brings another national championship back here to him, I think that's way more important than any of the other nil deals or revenue.
Speaker 2: Sharing, any of the other stuff that goes on.
Speaker 3: I say, it's been a minute. It's been since Vince Young, Vince young Man, Vince Young. I remember that he was the second best player on the field that day. I'm sorry, it's Reggie Reggie Bush. Hey, It's just I can't. I would say he was the best, but it was Reggie Bush.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to lie to He was the most electric college football player of all times. To me, that day. But on that night then let me tell you.
Speaker 4: Listen, but listen, you got to remember something I was calling plays at USC at that time, right, Vince Young was Superman that day, no doubt.
Speaker 2: We could not get him on the ground. We couldn't.
Speaker 4: All the way he scored the last touchdown on fourth and four, we couldn't get him on the ground. Oh, I remember a childhood.
Speaker 3: He was like, everybody wants to be like Reggie Bush in college, you know, like and then yeah, gripes of a West Coaster clearly from Arizona, And I was like, how do we lose a Texas? It wasn't a wee thing. I'm from Arizona. I had nothing to do with that. I went to cal Berkeley, not USC. Anyways, the idea of bringing a championship to Austin, what would that mean?
Speaker 4: It'd be amazing, you know, it's been a long time coming, an incredible run that Mac Brown had here right in the two thousands, how many games they won, and the great players he had, and got back to the National Championship game and Cole gets hurt. They losed Alabama and then literally the program just started to just I don't know even know how to describe it, just kind of got stale.
Speaker 2: Let's leave it at stale.
Speaker 4: And it was like ten years of mediocrity and I was part of those ten years.
Speaker 2: My first year he was not very good.
Speaker 4: And so the fact now that we've we've kind of swung the pendulum back that we're one of those teams that you know that if you want to talk about college football, one of the first teams that come out of your mouth would be kind of the the the icing on the cake. Right if we can finally get over the hump and we've been inside the ten yard done in the last two years to go play for a national championship and have been able to get it done, and to go watch our guys work out this morning and see how hungry they are to be the team that can do it. Yeah, you know, I know Longhorn Nation would obviously go crazy for that, but but also the journey that we've been on now going into year five to build this thing back to get to that point.
Speaker 2: You know, you always you always.
Speaker 4: You know, as coach Saban notoriously says, right, focus on the process, not the result. But at some point we want a pretty good result, right, We all we all want that result to We all want to be perfect. Yeah, we all want to be a super Bowl champ or a national champ. We all want those things. That's what it works so hard for. So it'd be amazing if we can get it done.
Speaker 3: I mean that that alone. I mean, you you sort of know what it's like. You've been in the greatness, you said Nick Saban earlier. I mean you've worked with Pete Carroll so USC Alabama, you w you know, you worked with Dan Quinn over in Atlanta, which you guys would super Bowl the year before, year before, Yeah, which I mean, so you've been around coaches that know how to coach the greatness, and you've coached great players. Janda Hurts who just won a Super Bowl, I mean, Matt Ryan Quinn who just left your arts coming up?
Speaker 2: I think, what, like, what would it take?
Speaker 3: You know, what, what would you say is the most important traits let's say the most three most important traits necessary to achieve sustained greatness in an organization consistency.
Speaker 4: I think that's really critical. You know, one, you gotta let's go back. You got to set a solid foundation.
Speaker 2: What do you believe in?
Speaker 4: Right? And then once you set your beliefs, can you consistently strive towards them and and focus on that right and whatever those are being disciplined enough to remain consistent. So you got to have a foundation. Then you got to remain consistent through the good and the bad. Like college football has become a lot more like the NFL. Now, we just played sixteen games last season, and it would have taken seventeen to win a national championship. And as you know, in the NFL, there's one team ever that's won every single game. And so how you bounce back from the tough loss, not get too high from the big win, and remaining consistent I think is critical. And then are you at your best when your best is needed? And I think that's what the great teams have, That's what the great players have. They set a solid foundation for who they are, They know who they are, they remain consistent with who they are, and then they're at their best when their best is needed.
Speaker 3: How does that happen? At eighteen, nineteen and twenty years old? The kid that I was in college could not be the player that I am today. I mean, just the idea that you're growing into a man and to be at a program like this where you demand excell excellence, where you demand consistency.
Speaker 2: How does that happen? Is that coaching? Is that player? Is that? Well? I think one is the culture that you have. Right.
Speaker 4: So when you come in as a freshman and you're looking up to the junior or the senior who ends up being that high draft pick who ends up being a Thorpe Award winner, a Dope Walker Award winner, or you know, Buck Kiss Award winner, and you'll be like, I want to be like that, Right, I'd love those same accolades.
Speaker 2: What did he do to get that done? That that cycle of success? Right? Of what are his habits? You know?
Speaker 4: Is he go out five nights a week or does he go out one night a week. I'm not I'm not going to be.
Speaker 2: A naive and stick my head in the sand think our.
Speaker 4: Players aren't going to go out, no doubt, but doing it in moderation and understanding what's important.
Speaker 2: Why are you here?
Speaker 4: Is he one of the first guys in the in the in the training room in the morning, or is he the last guy coming in right before the team meeting starts. So we try to point to and celebrate those guys that do things the right way and give them kind of a platform for the other players to be like I want to be like him. And that's been the cycle of success that we're in now. That wasn't always that way, Right, I had like two of those guys, right, I had be Jean Robinson and Roshawn Johnson.
Speaker 2: Was like, be like these be like these two. You know, and sometimes you like, coach, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't really care if you want it or not. They need to know what it looks like and they need to know how you do it. And then you start to recruit to people that have that mindset, not only the physical attributes, but the mindset to that can think that way and that understand it and want that. If you're coming here and one of your first questions when when I sit down with you my office is how much you're gonna pay me through nil This isn't the place for you.
Speaker 2: That's not what we're about.
Speaker 4: Or when you get here and the next morning we're supposed to go to breakfast and you're hungover because you're out all night, this probably isn't the place for it. You're telling me who you're going to be when I get.
Speaker 2: You a coaches. But some of it's a test.
Speaker 3: Year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we all know about six I camera set up up and down six streets.
Speaker 2: I know everything that goes on. Huh, it's a good time. That's a good time. And again I m to it. I don't say, don't have a good time in moderation. Yea, right, And I think all those things are critical because it's about what's important to you, right, what do you believe in? What's important to you?
Speaker 4: And they tell you who they are, and then it's there's a ton of great players in the country. Yeah, but not all the great players have the right mindset, the right work ethic, the right discipline that it takes to play fifteen years in the NFL. You're joking about yourself, but you wouldn't have been playing fifteen years if you didn't have the discipline right that you put forth, the work ethic, the drive, being the teammate that you've been, the leader that you've been all those years.
Speaker 2: With the Saints.
Speaker 3: And that says a lot because that was the growth that happened in college. So the fact that you've turned a program that may have had two or three guys in your first year to twenty five says a lot about the coaching staff. As a player, you can be individually great, but it's the foundation, the coaching staff, the guys that really grow you, your friends, your teammates, the people that you surround yourself with that help propel you into a professional no question.
Speaker 2: Like it's a real simple thing, right.
Speaker 4: Team's success is what promotes individual accolades, awards, and honors. I've never seen an NFL MVP come from a team that didn't make the playoffs. Right, you don't see Heisman Trophy winners when the Heisman Trophy from teams that aren't in the top you know, seven or eight teams in the country. And so the same with the draft. We went five and seven our first year. How many guys I say got drafted zero The last two years were in the college football Playoff. I've had twenty five guys go to the NFL Combine. So it's and we've won the Dope Walker Award the last two years, we've won the Thorpe Award, We've won the Outland Trophy, won the Buckets Award.
Speaker 2: So all of a sudden, when the.
Speaker 4: Team does well, you know, you know, I know some of the stuff's in the air, so I'm recruiting here too, right.
Speaker 3: Absolutely mentioned now just how you've achieved greatness yourself, I mean and for you know, your your former players. That being said, you know we have a former you know, one of your former players, not from ut but you know we'll talk about it, but roll that tape from you know, how you've achieved greatness over the years.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 5: Intensity each and every day, whether we're in the leading rooms, on practice field, on game day. He always can't prepared. And he also had you prepared as a player. And that's the thing that you always respect most about coaches is when they're willing to teach the material a van to make sure that there's no corners unturned. And he had such a passion. He was a tremendous player himself, but that understanding of the locker room, the player dynamics, and also what it takes to be successful at a really high level.
Speaker 2: He understaid all those things. And so the.
Speaker 5: Success that he's had to day doesn't surprise me. He's one of the best coaches out there.
Speaker 2: Then will continue to be because I look.
Speaker 3: Type of manians look that was from what USC times as mancastles the quarterback.
Speaker 4: Check this out about Matt Castle never started a college football game, never never started one, and got.
Speaker 2: Drafted in the seventh round.
Speaker 4: The US hand then gets a crack in the door when when Tom Brady gets hurt for a c in in New England, lights it up and just gets absolutely paid by the Chiefs. And that the guy's been, you know, in the league. He was in the league for shoot, almost twenty years.
Speaker 2: I'll say he was. He was in there forever, forever, forever. And I was like, I was like, he didn't even start in college. That was that was my sugar in of not going to a USC. I was like, oh that.
Speaker 3: I was like, I was like, it's the USC effect at the time. It's like what will be in a couple of years for Texas. So you go to Texas. You know you're going to be a quality football player. It just is what it is. And I mean that starts at the top. The butt stops here. Steve sarkisian of course, kis as Matt Castle.
Speaker 2: Said, or coach sark It's a lot easier. Mah.
Speaker 3: I mean, just talk about you know, man, was that is that a twenty year college coaching career.
Speaker 2: That's that's wow. Yeah, a couple of stints in the NFL.
Speaker 4: So I went to the NFL in UH two thousand and three and with North Turner and the Oakland Raiders. And I was there with like Warren Sap, Charles Woodson. I mean it was Jesus, and.
Speaker 2: We were not very good and they were captal.
Speaker 4: Names like Warren Sapp and I didn't say not. Rich Gannon was the quarterback. He gets hurt carry calling steps in. I mean it was wild. We we cut Tim Brown in training camp this almost like a kid. We just cut Tim Brown.
Speaker 2: Serious.
Speaker 4: Jerry Rice, we break his streak that season, he doesn't catch the ball. They end up cutting Jerry Rice. He was wild and we weren't even very good. But we had all these Hall of famers on that team. It was fascinating. Then went back to college and then obviously went to the Falcons as seventeen and eighteen.
Speaker 2: So I've had a couple of cups.
Speaker 3: Fifteen plus years plus in the collegiate level. I mean, just assess your growth. What was what was coach sark like year one versus dude ut coach Sark year one, Like, I became the head coach at Washington. I think I was. I was thirty three when I took the job. I was thirty four, like first game, and I remember our first game. We were Washington was terrible at that time. They were zero to twelve the year before we got there. I think they had won like two games the season before that. And We're opening with l you at home in two thousand and nine, and this is like Patrick Peterson, this is like they're loaded, and I'm thinking to myself, we just got.
Speaker 4: Be fifty to nothing in pregame warm ups. We got no chance, and we played the game kind of close. Actually we played the game kind of close. But early on in my career was super emotional. I was like riding this emotional roller coaster. When things were good, I was like, I'm the greatest coach ever.
Speaker 2: We're the greatest team ever. When we lose, I was the worst coach.
Speaker 4: Ever, and I'd be on the I'd be on the internet and on the blogs and reading about how great I was.
Speaker 2: Then I'd be reading.
Speaker 4: About how terrible I was. Fast forward to twenty twenty five. I really don't give what people think about me. I remained really consistent with what I do yeah, and then I think that that carries over to my messaging to the team absolutely.
Speaker 2: Plus there wasn't you know Twitter and Instagram back then.
Speaker 4: Twitter was just started. Oh I checked my account there. Somebody asked me, when did you join Twitter? I joined in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 3: Jeez, I think I joined like senior year. So I was, ay, it's been a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I was like in that tenure there, of course, you being under one of the greatest college coaches of all time, Nick Saban, was there anything that he told you that you keep to this day.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he told me directly, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, there was a ton of nuggets with this guy, right, but at the end of the day, we're like, yeah, there's a million of them. But there was one thing that stood out to me about him, this level of like he talks about discipline all the time and then being a disciplined team on the field and off the field.
Speaker 2: That discipline started with him.
Speaker 4: I swear this guy like picked out the five things he was going to wear Monday through Friday, and they just were the same. He didn't even think about what he was going to wear at three o'clock on Tuesday, he was watching third downs like that was it. And I don't care what was going on outside. There could have been a fire in the building. That guy was going to watch third downs like his routine. His discipline to do what he was going to do every day is what resonated throughout the building. And if you weren't that way, it was like a shock to him that you weren't doing what you were supposed to be doing when you were supposed to be doing it at the highest level.
Speaker 2: I wasn't just do it. It was at the highest level.
Speaker 4: And so I don't know if it was like one nugget that he said, but if you just watched the behavior, it wasn't about what he said. It was about what he did, because what he did was back up what he said.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I've long said it. The best mentors are the ones that they don't know that their mentors, because it's the way they walk, the way they hold themselves, the way they cure themselves.
Speaker 2: It's infectious. You know, you sit there, you're like, that's a and that's a leader.
Speaker 3: And if you want to be like a leader, you want to be like for me, it was like you know Ben Watson or Drew Brees. You know, when you look at consummate pros, you're like, oh, that's how you be a pro.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If all that, we got to be the first one in, the last one out. And then I was like, Okay, I don't have to be the first one in now.
Speaker 2: Yeah you do, Yeah, you do. That's what you go back to, all right.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 3: I was like Ben Watson at like year fourteen, was out there bench pressing his squad and I was like, oh man, he's in. He's in the gym. First of all, he looks like Adonnis himself. I was like, all right, you got to be in the gym. And then you sort of find your way when you're kid, when you look up to somebody who you feel is on the right path and you start following him, you end up on the right path.
Speaker 4: Yeah for me, and check this out. I mean, I got seven years with Pete Carroll and I thought, man, I got it.
Speaker 2: Man, I've got all the secret sauce. And that was a hell of a run we had at se I'm like, I got it all.
Speaker 4: And then you realize you don't have it all, and then you get to get with literally if Belichick and Coach Carroll weren't the best in our era, Coach Saban was the best. I get three years with him. I get one as an analyst, and I come back for two more as an assistant coach. It was like just soak up the information, soak up the knowledge. Soak up again. Not what they say all the time, but how he lived and the way he went about a player that was in trouble, or a player that said the wrong thing, or a player that you know wasn't doing right on the field or off. It was all the things that It's just how he interacted with people was probably the most stuff that I took from him.
Speaker 2: Those interpersonal connections are amazing. I think at this point, because we're in a live crowd this, it's just frere to be able to do this. I'm going to open up if it's okay with him, get a little little crowd action in here, like anybody have a question for coach. We're going We're going for one. I need one. Come on, I feel like this is coming from the internet. I have one Twitter. He's been firing both of them up. What they got, Oh, I'm live. I'm going to her we're going to figure this out. You take this back.
Speaker 4: This is from my brother Zach, and he says, how Cedric bent Baxter looking.
Speaker 2: And will he be completely healthy for Ohio State? Got it? So Cedric's doing great.
Speaker 4: So you know, seg Baxter is a running back of ours that towards a c L early in training camp last year and was, you know, set to I think have a great season. But his rehabs going fantastic. He looks really good. He's in really good spirits. Obviously, we have time, right so for him, essentially it's got to be a twelve month recovery, which is a great amount of time coming off of an aco. So we feel very confident that he will be but again time will tell. Right, we're in March, and we got plenty of time until uh what is that July August thirtieth when we play, So we got we got plenty of time till then.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I love it. I'll say we're catching real insider information. All right, we're perfect. Let's let's do it quick trivia game. Oh girl, I'm terrible at these. I mean, you know, come on, that's why we're awesome.
Speaker 3: We're asking the crowd here, I'll ask a couple of fun, fat questions about coach. You know, so you guys ready, I told you I was gonna get you involved. I want to know, do you guys know how many games has coached won at Texas?
Speaker 2: Anybody? Somebody? No one, come on, think about it? Been here four years heading the year five. Think about that. He said there are sixteen games times two at least in the playoffs. Everybody want to be forty eight. Oh that's a lot.
Speaker 3: All right, well that's close, But no, cigar, I'm gonna say it was thirty eight and seventeen overall, twenty five and five in the last two seasons, twenty five and five.
Speaker 4: You ever to come to cow you call me thirty thirty games in two years in college?
Speaker 3: That's crazy. I mean, yeah, that's that's absurd. The college playoffs are still expanding over whatever. I'm looking at college landscape. I'm like, geez, these kids, these kids are going through the ringer in terms of games played.
Speaker 2: Like you still have to be as too, an athlete. But that's what we're talking about. Springball. Why spring ball is a justice Peter Off. Yeah.
Speaker 3: As a old head, I'm like, how do they not play spring game, and I'm like, actually, what does that proof?
Speaker 2: You know, like you can't get a win loss column in a spring game and I get it now, fifteen sixteen seventeen to win a championship. That's scary. Anyways. All right, let's see who's coach's favorite NBA team? And no, it's not the Suns. That's my favorite team. That's right. Wow, Wow, off the bat. I'm a Laker hater by nature. Are you serious? I just said I was a Suns fan. So think about my child.
Speaker 3: I was destroyed, just trouted Steve Nash, we.
Speaker 2: Ripped all whole Kobe Kobe rip Yell's hearts out. I grew.
Speaker 3: I grew up like Twin Towers guy, and this Antonio beat the Suns.
Speaker 2: I was like, screw you guys.
Speaker 3: And then the Lakers beat us in the semi conference finals, and I was like, I become a lakerhater.
Speaker 2: So you know, it just says what it is.
Speaker 4: Your Laker guy, Luka, Doncic guy dot Nam.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm like, go all the way back.
Speaker 4: I'm like Magic green Worthy and I've been riding that.
Speaker 2: I've been riding showtime ever since. Dang. Yeah, all right, Well, that's fine.
Speaker 3: I guess bad loss to the nets. I still run my son's shack jersey. You know, we gotta hold on some big guys. All right, crowd, this is the last question. Who gets the most credit for coaches swaggy fashion sense? This is a nice little burger shure.
Speaker 2: I just I didn't know. He said, yeah, I hurt wifey. So that was that was a pluggin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, I'm not evenna let you answer that. That's got to be it.
Speaker 2: That's it. I appreciate you tapping in with with off the airge of the podcast guys has been real.
Speaker 3: Have a live audience has been amazing. Coach Start, You've been amazing. Much respect. I always love from being the opposite side of you. One day, hopefully, you know, I'll intern for you one day. Moved to Austin, man this one day.
Speaker 4: One day we'll see you like it here?
Speaker 3: I love it here, I said, I've been to Flugerville. I've been to you know, I've been in and out.
Speaker 2: I've been called the Ville. I'm gonna call it the flu. I don't care.
Speaker 3: Shout out to my guy Alex okafor of course. Yeah, you know, Malcolm Roach is what is one of my dogs. So I've been, I've been in and out of Austin. My manager lives here, so you know, my manager PR PR because this is one of the meccas for PR. But she she lives here, so I'm always I'm sorry, You're always welcome, man. I appreciate that. I appreciate that. But you guys have a blessed day. God bless and appreciate you'all. Tapping it off the edge the pod