Speaker 1: Worrying.
Speaker 2: Today's episode state spoilers for the final two episode of Fallout season two.
Speaker 3: Be warned, bewarn and we will be digging into the new trailer from Mandalorian and Groogle. It's real, it exists allegedly.
Speaker 2: Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosie Night and welcome back to x ray Vision of the podcast where we dive the video favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture coming from my our podcast will bring you three episodes lost.
Speaker 3: Nips in today's episode, Well, it's a little coming soon treating you guys, because guess what. After everyone correctly ragged on Disney for not putting out proper Super Bowl trailer, they got scared and they put out a Mandalorian and Grogo trailer which has lots of new So we'll be digging into that. But you wanted it. You said, Hey, why aren't we back there, Why aren't we in the wasteland? Why aren't we seeing what's going on with our faith characters? And hey, we're back. So we're gonna dig into it. See what happens to Hank, Lucy, Coop and the rest as we set up a clear full lap season three with the finale and the second to last episode.
Speaker 1: But first, it's a proper trailer for.
Speaker 2: Mandalorian and Grogu, which came out we were recording this on Tuesday morning. Came up at twenty four hours ago or a little around that. Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: A proper trailer.
Speaker 2: Martin Scorsese is in it.
Speaker 3: Just what you always wanted, kiddo, let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts on the Mandalorian and Grogu trailer.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie, guys, I do not personally think that this betrayed like this does not convince me that it's not just gonna look like the show. Like that has not changed for me.
Speaker 1: Does look like the show?
Speaker 3: It does still look like the show.
Speaker 1: But yep, it.
Speaker 3: Looks like a show. But could I will I say, will I say? Did this make me think, oh, actually, I'd quite like to see this in the cinema?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: And I think that is really what they needed was to get us back to that excitement. I mean, our favorite things about it. Well, I would say, obviously, thing that really stood out to me Pedro Pascal with no mask. They said, this man, we need to see his face. They said, excuse me, did you ask whether it was him.
Speaker 1: And he's sweaty with the helmet head.
Speaker 3: He's like the helmet head hair. That's a man who can be sweaty and sexy. And you know, I think he was too clean and fantastic for We need more, we need more grottiness. So yeah, obviously love to see some Stormtroopers. We are trying to work out who they're working for. Jason, did you still really understand who the main villain was? I didn't, even though it was nice to see our atats and kind of our usual aliens get to see some an zeilas one of our faves, obviously, Baboo Frick one of the only good things from the Rise of Skywalker New Razor Crest, which we love. It definitely is not the old one. It's much bigger, so we'll see if that's gonna be anything important. And of course I mean Jason, this was obviously the thing that we were both excited. Most excited about, I think is the belotle bit return of zeb He's back. We saw him in Madre in season three.
Speaker 2: He's like he's going to be a big part of the or a significant part of the.
Speaker 3: Story, and I adore this, but I will say again not really beating the TV allegations sadly, but we haven't seen him properly yet.
Speaker 2: I will say that the action looks like a level up from the television fingers crossed, but all this, you know, all the stuff in the Razor Crest, like the regular kind of walking around scenes, Grogu messing with the buttons to open that looks like a I legitimately, when the teaser dropped, before the trailer dropped, I was like in the extra vision chat, I was like, is this new.
Speaker 1: Footage or not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't not in any scene, you know, it pulled from any season of The Mandalorian yep. I will say that the villain part is interesting my senses. It's probably gonna be Embo the fucking the hat bounty hunter from the Clone hat wearing you know, a bounty hunter from the Clone Warks.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually if we look at like, because we know that we're gonna have roth O the Heart, so we're gonna have that, which has a lot of similarities obviously to like the Mando because he's you know, Mando and Grogu and was kind of saved by you know, a Soaka Anakin. So that's gonna be really interesting, you'll, Yeah, I think that's a great call. Definitely more felony bringing the animated stuff into the movie Cannon in a way we haven't seen now.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think what we're gonna see is Mando and Grogu mixed up in a lot of bounty hunter hijinks. You know that we have the huts here, we have Embo or you know, so I think there's a lot of like kind of organized crime kind of a story direction.
Speaker 3: Yes, we do get some are they gonna be bounty hunting or the different criminals? Like, I'm interested to see that. We get this line about it's to stop we're trying to stop a war. You know, there's kind of this implication that what they're gonna stop is gonna somehow help the galaxy in some way. I don't know. I think I'm worried about them trying to make it too big at this point, but I think a kind of stripped down outer rim crime drama with some action actually sounds really fun. I don't know, I'm still middling, but I do think it's like exciting and fun, and if I saw it in the theater. I think I might even get a little like, you know, a little like goosebumps, Like there's a little bit there's a couple of moments where where the music kind of taught, where the music kind of soars and you get it. But yeah, I'm interested. Also, Siguney, we have a character. I feel like we just still don't know enough about her or her kind of space in that she's like a republic figure. But other than that, like I need to know more. I need to know that she's another great character casting like Carl Weather's, rather than kind of a stunt casting that we know sometimes they do in these movies. And it is nice to get a little bit more of a narrative because the first trailer was very vibes heavy.
Speaker 1: I mean what trailer you.
Speaker 2: Talk about the I mean that was Got Killed the first vibes vibes vibes vibes vibes trailer. Yeah, yes, I mean it's part of like watching this trailer is like, man, what took so long?
Speaker 3: What I know? I'm like, why didn't you drop? That was in September twenty second. We have lived a thousand lives since then. We have lived a Thousand Lives. Guys. Also, how surreal is it to see Martin Scorsese in this freaking trail lot? I can't, I mean this post post the studio, it feels even funnier because you just start to think, like, my guy, like we are you trying? Who made you do this? Like? Was this a franciscam This is a.
Speaker 2: Man who's who's criticisms of modern cinema and modern movie making an ip in movies is well known. And it's also like, what's funny to me is like he was of the generation and friends with George Lucas, right, all of them together, Francis Ford, Coppola, George Lucas, Steven Spilber, you know, all that group, right the new Hollywood were, or like the post new Hollywood directors. They were all like around and and friendly and hung out a lot as you can. You can see more about this in the very good Scorsese directory documentary that I believe is on Apple TV plus.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, as it was. I think it's Apple TV. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's the other thing that's ironic to me is that like George doesn't make these anymore.
Speaker 3: I know, how isn't that your bro? Like now, also like what is it? Why gotta know is like how does Martin Scorsese pick his movies? Because I don't know if you guys have ever seen the iconic Underwater gangst the Flick a Sharks Tail where Martin Scorsese voiced a puffer fish, Like what is this man doing? Like what are these choices? I just need to know. We learned thanks to some great reporting from the Hollywood Reporter that I'm assuming was given to them from Disney, Scorsese is paying an Ardenian, a four armed fur covet species who's running a store of some kind and tries to shut down a conversation with Mando, who is seeking information about one of the huts. End quote. So yeah, that is just also so funny to me because I just need to know, like did Dave Filoni just call him? Or this could be you know a little bit of Hollywood fun where maybe we're gonna find out that he was supposed to have a cameo man many years ago and this is kind of him like repaying that or something, you know, speaking of the debts we were talking about earlier when we were a double recording today. But yes, very interesting. I mean I'm still definitely mid on it. I don't think it was like the roaring success we needed, but it did get my pedro Perscal excitement meter back up, which posts the Materialists and Fantastic four. It has been a little down, but I'm back up. I'm back up. The stock is rising. I was here, I'd say, I'm buying because I love the baby.
Speaker 2: I love the baby. The baby is fifty plus years old, now baby, I love the baby. I can't wait to see the baby on the big screen exactly up next, let's see if a break, we'll be read back with follow up.
Speaker 1: Okay, final two episodes of Fallout.
Speaker 3: Let's wows up.
Speaker 1: Burn through this recap. We're going through it.
Speaker 3: Go be recapping where.
Speaker 2: We Some threads are tied up, some cans were kicked further down the road.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say a lot. It's feeling like a lot up set up for season three, and that's both exciting and frustrating.
Speaker 2: It was, it was. There was some stuff, but it was there's also some frustrations. Let's start with Lucy. She spends these final two episodes basically dismantling her father's operation mind Control operation from the inside. Though she is it does appear to me briefly tempted by his vision.
Speaker 3: Definite peace, definitely right, because it fits more in line with what she was raised thinking, Yes, Boss would be because that's what he's always been trying to do. So I think there are moments of it, and those.
Speaker 2: Were the most interesting moments for me as well.
Speaker 3: I was surprised I saw the Hank Lucy arc going a little differently and it not being Hank who made the choice that he makes at the end, So I yeah, very interesting stuff. Also get some intriguing flashbacks in this episode with kind of like the exploration of the fact that Steph was actually like it scapes like an internment camp, and very interesting expansion into what was then American occupied Canada. So really intriguing again, teasing things that are gonna pay off later. It's a mystery box where I think for some viewers the mystery was not solved well enough by this season Yellowjackets esque, but I will say, if you're a big flat New Vegas fan, if you're a Big four Lat three fan, they're also seeding so much stuff here that even me with my vague knowledge of the franchise, was like I recognized the clear Easter eggs and kind of fun game shots like the opening game shot they do and stuff, so they're balancing it biding. Overall, they went a little bit heavy on the Easter eggs and set up and I'm not strong enough for me on the storyline.
Speaker 2: So Lucy ultimately resists the temptation of this vision of peace that her father lays out using this mind control device when she understands what actually is behind it, and what's behind it is Congressman Diane Welch of Glendale, who's we met her as a pre war politician who was trying, in her very meek kind of way to stop the march of corporate Olakarski across the world, and now she is a severed living head that is powering the mind control chips of that tank has created. She begs Lucy to mercy kill her, kill me, kill me in a very very reminiscent.
Speaker 3: I would say, also one of the creepiest, very creepy moments that we've had in this sh show for a while, because if you forget Guys fall Out horror elements, there's a reason they were able to make this into a pretty fun Halloween horror Nights Mas this year at both parks, and it is because there are moments in fall Out in both the games and the show that are really haunting and scary, and while we've been more on the action side recently, that moment I was thinking about it after the episode because it was really well done and kind of gross and yeah, obviously homage to great movies like The Fly.
Speaker 2: So Lucy destroys the system by Mercy killing Diane Welch. Hank tries to recapture Lucy and to chip her, but the ghoul intervenes. Lucy then and how the worm has turned in plants to talk with his own device, which he kind of like wants.
Speaker 3: Actually, I know it's annoying because I love this moment. You get this agency from Lucy, but it's still part of act. Fucking plant wanted Hank was set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hank wants it.
Speaker 2: He's like, if I can't live my way, then let me live in peace in this one basically, and so she's thinking, oh, now you'll be the father that I thought you were, But instead Hank cranks the chip, goes full at like mind erasure and doesn't understand anything that's going on now, and doesn't even recognize her and he's and it's a way, and this is what I found annoying. It's a way that Hank and the show avoids accountability for Hank, he really.
Speaker 1: Pays the price.
Speaker 3: They annoying.
Speaker 2: I want to see him pay the price at least take into account what he's done. But instead he just like mind wipes and goes away.
Speaker 3: I know. I was also kind of hoping like Lucy would actually be like so horrified by him that she'd mind wipe him and then get that horrific like, oh my god, what have I done? So again, I will say here the performances by these two way more heartbreaking and fucking emotional than it should be. And of course also another thing that maybe slight frustration for those who felt like Hank was maybe one of our big bads. We get that kind of implication and connection to what Jason had correctly predicted, which is that the Enclave is really behind this and Hank was definitely involved in that. And that was yeah, very interesting again setting up this kind of notion for season three, but yeah, probably not the most rewarding arcs, seeing as Hank was a character they created for this and then yeah, we discover that.
Speaker 2: To your point, Hank has already sent out chipped people following these mysterious Enclave orders to do.
Speaker 3: From like hundreds of years ago.
Speaker 2: For like hundreds of years, this has been going on to do whatever this secret Enclave mission is, which no, no, we're still not sure, but it's worse, it seems, than anything Lucy has imagined. Although some of what Hank says again leads me to believe that we're gonna tie in somehow, the enclave of the Institute are gonna tie in because he's talking about he's talking about replacing people with chipped people, and that the people are not like this ship. Person would not even know the difference. He talks a little bit about that. The Ghoul Arc reaches its emotional peak. He cuts a deal with Bob House, leaving the Cold Fusion powering house and exchange. He gets access to the cryo chambers where he believes his family will possibly he believes they're there, his wife and his wife and daughter. He saves Lucy along the way which we talked about, finds the pods. Okay, he gets to the pods where his wife and daughter are and this is the thing I don't know. We've been building up to this over two seasons. If it's me, I'm running over to the fridge and ripping it open a little bit. Instead, it's like a slow walk with this look of awe his face and guess what he gets there, and it's a lucy pull in the football.
Speaker 3: They're fucking gone. They're not there. Yeah, not that bitch, They're not going.
Speaker 1: Two hundred years.
Speaker 2: He's been searching for his wife and daughter mutated on the service, and he gets to their post and they're not there, but there is a postcard from Colorado and Barbes pop, so he knows they survived somehow and they went to Colorado. So he, you know, he walks off into the waistline with dog meat, headed for Colorado to this mountain fortress that we saw in this cutaway scene to figure out, like, what the what are they up to?
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 3: I actually that again, this is one of those things where the show is really on a knife's edge for me at the moment, because like, I think that's such an annoying choice narratively, but it makes a lot of sense. But they sawed me on it because I kind of love the way that they're like, ha ha ha, you have been defewt to it. You will not meet your kids and your wife. And he's like, bitch, I know they're alive. He's like, actually, this is the first time I know I'm fucking onto a clue. And I think that is actually a really cool little twist on Coop's existential journey back to humanity is instead of being disappointed, he's like, Okay, well, I've been looking for two hundred years and now i know they're alive, So this is actually hope. And I think that that is again a very cool little twist. I think something that is highlighted here in these two final episodes though, is like if they if the casting and the writing is not at its best, then this show never becomes the juggernaut that it is. Because if you don't have Ella, if you don't have fucking Walton Goggins, who he is carrying this show on, that fucking scarred up mutation, Like here's the emotional heart of this show. If you don't have them at the core, it can be easier to pick apart some of the stuff that doesn't work as much. For example, the norm plotline throughout this season.
Speaker 1: It never goes nowhere.
Speaker 3: It goes nowhere, and then they all get killed then in a rad roach attack, and it's sort of like again, it feels like one of those storylines that was introduced without necessarily having a true point and felt a little bit more like filler compared to some of these moments in the episode where you're just like, oh shit, like this is actually incredible and it's hitting me in the fucking core of like incredible prestige, TV quality, production, writing, character, everything. When it's at its peak, it feels so good. But then I feel like in these couple of episodes we get a little bit more of those diversions that feel like they aren't paying off in the same way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, Let's go to Maximus. Maximus is his job is to hold off the death Clause while Coop goes and finds his family. He fights an entire pack of death Clause in the California New Republic power armor that Coop led him to. Uh he wins, but he only wins because the NCR Cavalry arrives at the final moment.
Speaker 3: Talking about that, what is the NCR Cavalry? Where do they come from? Getting described like Jason what is your theory as a game player, somebody who knows the law? How are they going to explain this one away?
Speaker 1: I guess we're going to find out that I don't.
Speaker 3: They went on the ground, maybe some kind of PI. They ask the Shady stands fifty soldiers or something.
Speaker 1: Whatever it was.
Speaker 3: It was crazy.
Speaker 2: I guess they finally came back, is the way I perceived it was.
Speaker 3: These were the guys who had been on the set to people assumed it gone right.
Speaker 2: The NCR, the folks at that like bedraggled NCR outposts, were essentially right, and that the rest of the New California Republic Forces, despite the destruction of Shady Sands, which they didn't know about, would return it.
Speaker 1: It appeared that that.
Speaker 3: Was right, okay, intriguing intriguing.
Speaker 2: So Maximus gets some gets a big win and some real credibility.
Speaker 1: He fought multiple.
Speaker 2: Death clause and comes out pretty much the hero, even though his character has not been developed enough. He reunites with Lucy just in time for both of them to watch Caesar's Lesions, now led by Ncaulay Conklon aka Leserta, the self appointed new Caesar, marching on in New Vegas.
Speaker 1: War is coming, not just war with the with.
Speaker 2: The Legion, but war between the Brotherhood and just war in general through the ball between the factions in what's left of the continental United States. Meanwhile, as you mentioned, norm everybody dies, ad Roach attack, and Norman Claudia escape and end up wondering the wasteland. Hopefully he gets a bigger art next season, or they just leave him.
Speaker 3: Very convenient that Heim and Claudia were the only survivors, so I'm guessing that's leading somewhere. Yeah, No, very interesting finale because I'm not gonna lie, and I do think that obviously now we're so used to the shortened seasons. We've been talking about it, how it's been working for a Night of the Seven Kingdoms. We've talked about how it doesn't work with other stuff, or how it did work with wonder Man, which we love. I do feel like there isn't in a different landscape where there was more conversation about this because there was less terrible things going on in the world. You know, a few years ago, some people may and this is an eight episode show, so now it's kind of long. But a few years ago some may have argued that this feels like halfway through the season and the second half of season two in you know, more sturdy TV landscape would be the War. I don't know, I feel like the pacing, and for me as someone who doesn't know the game as well, even though I kind of knew where this was going because I have sat through a playthroughs of this game and stuff, and I've played it a little bit myself. The return of Siege's lesions and the return of Macaulay Culkin, which seemed like really cool casting. I felt like the pacing and that almost felt so long ago compared to where we were at. It kind of didn't hit for me in the same way though obviously directly setting up season three. And also, you know, we get those moments like the kind of opening shop from Fallout with all of the NRC coming and stuff. So yeah, it's like it's cool, but it didn't. It wasn't fully satisfying for me as a finale. What do you feel like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought, listen, there were some fun stuff we didn't mention. Steph who we discover, Oh yeah, it was actually Hank's wife pre war. She as you mentioned, she made her way to meeting from a Canadian internment camp where one of her either her sister or her friend her I don't know the relationship.
Speaker 3: Maybe I don't know. It was some a female woman in her life, in.
Speaker 2: Her in her life, who was she she was very close to died and it's she ends up, she's depicted, and I think it actually fleshes out. This was actually pretty satisfying to me because you realize that Steph's not just seven is really mean okay, oh yeah, yeah yeah, and she is has almost no warmth to her. But I thought this backstory did a good job of explaining why that she's so driven, driven for security, driven for safety, driven to find anybody who can get her into a vault, and she finds Hank.
Speaker 1: And driven toward.
Speaker 2: Power and security, and you understand it through this. But over and I guess we should talk about the stare. Let's talk about Yeah, let's talk about that quickly. So Elder Quintus, now the wars between the Brotherhood factions is ongoing. Quintuses faction has taken casualties, they're in the fight, and ultimately Dane comes through passes some schematics.
Speaker 1: Elder Quintus is like, what's that? And He's like, and he says, in his.
Speaker 2: Inimicable way, you know, I tried to bring peace, but now I will bring war, and he like like unrolled the schematics and it's Liberty Prime baby from the cut the Iron Giant that were super Robot from a Fallout three and four. And you see that it's labeled the Alpha version, So this is clearly a pro type version. Maybe they'll build a better one, but pretty exciting. That was exciting that we may see Yeah, uh, Liberty Prime unleashed on the Wasteland in the next season.
Speaker 3: It definitely feels like season three is going to be very four o three heavy. Also, you know, we Maximus has that great line where she's like, well, there's a war and it's all my fault, and he's like, welcome to the Wasteland. Like that's just kind of how it is. And I actually think that if they lean into the chaos of the Wasteland next season, they lean into New Vegas, they set center on the war and maybe balance that with the character stuff. I think we could be in a really interesting place. I'm I'm definitely I'm definitely excited, not ax not as excited as I was post season one, which is kind of funny because I felt like the first half of the season was actually far superior to season one.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it just loses uneven steam and lost it steam. They spent too much time on too many plot lines.
Speaker 1: It didn't matter.
Speaker 2: I also felt like the we talked about it a little bit, there's a flashback inside of a flashback in this yes, in this show, which I feel like lizen. I love flashbacks, I love multiple storylines, I love multiple timeline But that's a lot. That's a bit much, and hopefully they do pick it up. I would give it. I'd probably give it overall a C for the season three and a.
Speaker 3: Half out of five for the really good stuff, but probably i'd say like a C plus for me, probably because that was stuff I really loved. But yeah, I'm excited. I'm excited to see where we go next. And guys, if you were loving it, or if there was some really cool Easter eggs that we didn't spot that you kind of feel like a setting up season three definitely hit us up in the discord because we know you guys were loving the show.
Speaker 2: The next episode of Extra Vision, we're drawing our swords and going deeper into Night of the Seven Kingdoms episode five in the name with our Ravens report.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode.
Speaker 2: Next were listening Get Up SA, SA, Get Up, Get Up sack x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Night and is a production of Eye Her Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wag.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.