Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Tuesday, following up on how we ended last hour and Lebron James son Bronni, was rushed to a hospital suffered a cardiac arrest during a basketball workout. TMZ Sports has learned this first and this happened yesterday morning, nine twenty six am Monday, from USC's Galen Center that's where the team plays and practice. A Lebron James family spokesperson tells TMZ that yesterday while practicing, Bronni suffered a cardiac arrest. Medical staff able to treat him taking to the hospital. He's down stable condition. He's no longer in the intensive care unit. We ask for respect and privacy for the James family. We will update media when there is more information. The spokesperson goes on to say that Lebron and his wife, Savannah wish to publicly send their deepest thanks and appreciation to the USC medical and athletic staff for their incredible work and dedication to the safety of their athletes. But they got a nine to one to one call yesterday morning. And Ronnie is eighteen years of age. He was unconscious when he was taken by ambulance to the hospital. This is known as a code three, meaning the ambulance lights and sirens were on, signifying the seriousness of the emergency. No other details there, but found this out about fifteen minutes ago and following up with any sources that we could get a hold of, and nobody had any extra information here but right down, stable condition and that's a great update to have considering where he was yesterday or the last twenty.
Speaker 1: Hours eight seven to seven to three.
Speaker 2: DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle it DP show poll question for the final hour, we're expecting to hear from Brian Harmon the Open champion and Hall of Famer Steve Young is set to join us as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, going to go off of one.
Speaker 3: The Toddler just sent in sort of a version of this, but based on Marvin's movie experience.
Speaker 1: What does a must have in a movie theater?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Marvin went to see Barbie yesterday with his wife. Do you want to give the review and then we can get to Seaton's poll question after that?
Speaker 4: Sure, we can do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you ready to give your review?
Speaker 4: Indeed? I am?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, here you go, all.
Speaker 5: Right, guys.
Speaker 4: So yesterday I wanted to go see the Barbie movie. It was good. I liked it.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Nah, that didn't tell I don't know, you don't want to catch heat? Let me?
Speaker 4: Well, no, no, no, because if I would have said I didn't like it, then I would have just said I didn't like it scared of? Who what are you scared of?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Okay, Oh, I.
Speaker 4: Mean you didn't like you Why would I lie?
Speaker 1: I it didn't sound like you really liked it.
Speaker 4: No, I would have said I God, no, but I liked that. I thought it was really good. I thought Ryan Goslin was great as Ken. He was great.
Speaker 1: How are the previews?
Speaker 4: Previews are really good. They were more kid friendly. Okay, but I was like, my son's gonna love this. This Ninja Turtles movie looks great.
Speaker 2: But you know they tell you a movie starts at two thirty five. It doesn't start at two thirty five. The movie starts usually at three to zero five DP. It was literally, so we got there.
Speaker 4: My wife's a real stickler for time, so like two thirty So I get there like two twenty five. She's like, Marvin, we have to get inside the movie theater, get your icy and get your popcorn and come on. And so I got in there two fifty five, the opening credits start rolling.
Speaker 6: Okay, do you think they did more trailers because they know this is the biggest movie of the year than a normal movie, like a couple extras.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But you need Nicole Kidman to come on and say congratulations and we're glad to have you back in the movie theater.
Speaker 4: It to a place at one die. That's pretty close.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Okay, Marvin, is this movie the Barbie movie for eleven year olds or forty year olds?
Speaker 4: Forty year olds? Definitely for forty Is.
Speaker 1: It for eleven year olds?
Speaker 4: M because some of the stuff they won't get. But I think it's more nostalgic, you know what. It felt like. It felt like the Brady Bunch movie where you know what, they're poking fun at the idea of Barbie and they were talking about, you know, we don't have you know, certain body parts and stuff like that, just as like a jab just because it was just so ridiculous growing up. But Michael Sarah, Yeah, he's in the funny face category. He's in the movie. He had the biggest laughs for me in the movie. He's in that funny face category as soon as he comes up on the screen. Yeah, I'm expecting him to, you know, make me laugh. And you know, Will was great.
Speaker 1: Will Will Ferrell was in there, our future coworker. Yeah.
Speaker 4: My wife goes, You're going to Ireland with that guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, huh yeah, crazy, Yeah, yes.
Speaker 6: I gotta tell you. I had spent time worried about Michael Sarah over the years. He was with Jonah Hill and super Bad and they both broke out, and I think Michael Sarah was in Juno, which he's a very bit popular movie. But then I was worried that his career was going to go one way and Jonah Hill's was going to the moon. SE's like, Michael Sarah's still doing Okay.
Speaker 1: Michael Sarah didn't want to be a star, is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He purposely he was nervous after super Bad that he was becoming something that he didn't want to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Jonah Hill went yeah, yeah he did.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Uh. Todd Is Brian said to join us. He sure as well. Look at that. Look who's got their claret jug there? I love that.
Speaker 2: Uh full intro here he won the Open Championship. He's Brian Harmon PGA Tour Open Championship winner and now number six in the FEDE FedEx Cup standing. Nobody cares about that. We just care about you got hardware there. How many beers have been in the Claire Jug since you won, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 7: Probably definitely won too many the first night, and I have to say I got it. I got it up here on an upstate in New York now, and I got to look inside of that thing, and boy does it need to scrub? Did not make me feel great about all those beers we were drinking out of.
Speaker 2: When did you realize that you could win the Open Championship?
Speaker 7: I tried my best not to think about it, but I started getting some really good feelings, Like you know that obviously back nine got a big lead, but I just knew that if I could just stick to what I was doing the the I didn't feel like there's anybody that could beat me. I was playing really, really good. I've been butting so good all week. I just felt like I was in control, and I felt like I was finally able to like play against myself and not worry about what anybody else is doing.
Speaker 2: When did you realize that this could slip away from you if you did entertain those thoughts?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I mean the I mean you're I was a ball of nerves Saturday and Sunday, and I hit some golf shots, especially to start the day both Saturday and Sunday, and I hit it, hit it right in the middle of a gorse bush on my reachable par five, number five Sunday. Here Rory's making birdies. John Rahman just made a birdie, And obviously you know those guys are going to play great. You know that they're going to give you one hundred percent. And they've done it and I hadn't. So there's been a nice spot for me to let the wheels come off. But that was probably the way I hung in there.
Speaker 2: But what's it like when you know the gallery wants to see somebody else win.
Speaker 7: They don't care for an underdog over there, all these little Cinderella underdog stories, right, Yeah, it was. It was brutal, man. They were I've always appreciated the fans there because they're very knowledgeable. They they they know when the clapp they know you know that, they they know the game and they know guys like me. They know me by you know, I can go to tour events in the United States and a lot of people have no idea who I am and that, and that's totally fine. But over there they cover golf a little differently and and so I've always appreciated their knowledge of the game. But boy, did they not want me to win that goal.
Speaker 2: I'm watching the press conference after you won, and you could tell the writers were looking for any kind of angle here, and it felt like they wanted to talk to you about hunting more than they did.
Speaker 7: Oh, I can't stand it over there, you can't stand it. And uh, that's all everyone's inside of their opinion. I just if someone's that mad at me knowing where my meat comes from while they still eat me, I just I got no time for that.
Speaker 1: How will life change?
Speaker 7: Hopefully not at all.
Speaker 1: I've so you don't want it to change like you don't want to be man.
Speaker 7: I'm a grown up. I'm thirty six. You got three kids. I was chranging diapers and so I was up at six my sons back a bottle. I mean, I mean, how much can life change if I was twenty five and something like this happens, you know, the temptation to be there. But I love my life. I've got I got things I love to do. I got a family that's incredible. So no, it's not going to change.
Speaker 2: Just won't explain how your style of game worked when it didn't work for anybody else.
Speaker 7: I was able to drive it. I drove the ball really well. I was able to take on you never there. The bunkers are scary, but if you're willing to take on a few of them here and there, you can get some really good looks into the greens. And it worked out. I drove the ball really well, and I was really smart coming into the greens, and I made a.
Speaker 1: Lot of putts.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's been kind of my m is. When the putter gets hot, I can you know, I can do really good and I just hadn't had a week like that in a long time where the putter was just good for four days.
Speaker 2: Did you ever feel inferior when somebody, you know, Rory hits it three forty and you may hit it to eighty or two ninety. I know you have to play your game, but there's still part of you.
Speaker 1: Like, damn, how does he he's fifty yards or six yards ahead of me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean there's there's definitely some freaks out there now. I mean, guys that can just are just uper talented. But I've been always been really comfortable with just you know, I will say I play with Rory had to be seven or eight years ago we were playing together Memorial and obviously what he does off the tee, I mean, he's maybe the most gifted driver of the golf ball it's ever lived. I mean I've said that, you know, from the first time I played with me. But he hit this feathery, little wed shot when we were playing together, and I was like, damn, I can't let him be better at me than at that, you know, like I have the skills to do that. And so that kind of helped me be like, all right, well he's not just beating me right now. Because he's sitting at further. He's able to hit these little touch shots that that I'm not.
Speaker 5: As good at.
Speaker 7: So I double down on that. And my short game has always been good, So I'm comfortable with how far I hit it. I trained to hit it a little bit further, but I'm not going to try and hurt myself.
Speaker 5: Doing it.
Speaker 2: He's Brian Harmon. He is the Open Championship winner. The Waggle your Golf swing Wagle got a lot of publicity there over the weekend.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when I first got on tour, I was one of the fastest guys on tour when I was a junior golfer. You know, it was running around everywhere, and I just found myself waiting and waiting and just watching other guys play golf, and just I got sick of always kind of carrying the burden of being a really fast player, and that's what it feels like when you're a fast player. So I made a conscious choice to slow down. Now I've slowed down too much. I don't I don't like I don't like it. I want to be able to I want to be able to pull the trigger a little bit quicker. So I've been working on that. But at the same time, it's like I've been playing pretty good. It's like, you know, I don't hit the shots I'm ready. You know how many how many shots did I hit when I wasn't ready? When I used to play really fast. So the answer is, and I mean, I know it's not it's not fun to watch I've watched it. I've watched it on film, and I don't like it. But yeah, I'm conscious of it for sure. But I'm not going to hit a shot until ready, Jack Nicholaster or the ball forever.
Speaker 2: So I still have your golf ball that you sent to me when you had two holes in one and a round and then you had a whole one on the fourteenth and you sent it in there. So we still have it in the man cave.
Speaker 7: Your man cave is looking looking like it's getting a little cluttered.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's very Is there anything, Brian? Is there anything from the Open Championship you would like to donate to.
Speaker 7: The Let's see, Well what do you want? Man? No clubs? You're not getting that buttter, I know that.
Speaker 1: Okay. How about how about a sign glove maybe for the man cave. How's that perfect?
Speaker 2: But I want to make sure. Now, you probably had fifteen of them that you used on Sunday.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you saw it. I don't know that ornament. I was more prepared than it. Caddie gets so mad me. We got this damn gloves for him. That is when I have all these gloves.
Speaker 2: Y that Mike Turco said, it looked like a pro shop underneath you umbrella with all of the gear that that you had. Who did you hear from that might surprise us after you won?
Speaker 7: You know, I I've heard from so after after getting heckled so much on Saturday and Sunday. It was just not surprising. But it was just really nice to hear from just everyone back home. And I didn't even I didn't even really the thought never ended enter my mind. But I saw a video from my home golf course in Savannah where they were, you know, watching, and I was like, man, I didn't even I didn't even think that they would be doing that. It just didn't occur to me. So uh, no one, no one in particular. Is just nice to hear from everybody and see that the the I had plenty of support back home.
Speaker 1: Did you cry? I have, I have kids are.
Speaker 7: Called me and I got I got a little choked up when he called me, just because I know what it meant for him to call me. And then when I saw my family in the airport yesterday, got a little choked up. It's been overwhelming, for sure, but I'm ready for it. Just left foot right foot man on the next one.
Speaker 1: I thought we might lose you in one of those bunkers.
Speaker 7: It's there. He can lose a lot of pet harmony.
Speaker 1: And it's scary. Is it fair?
Speaker 7: I don't know. I don't know if golf needs to be fair. The bunkers. The bunkers aren't in a place where you're amy, like they capture aarrant shots. So if you hit good shots, you shouldn't be We just get conditioned over it because our bunkers are so good over here, you get conditioned like on Apart five and too, like Oz was bulleting that bunker and I'll be able to get it up up around the whole somewhere over there, you can't do that. You have to be really smart. A lot of times you'll be playing a practice around there, like how do they put this bunker right here? Like the bunker it's like it's only one hundred and eighty yards off the tee, And then the next day of the wind flips, you're like, oh, I see, I see why.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 2: Uh great to talk to you again, Congratulations, it was fun to watch, and uh, I hope you have a great weekend with the family.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: All right, that's Brian Harmon. He is the Open Championship. It'd be nice to get a little uh gear from the Open Championship go along with his golf ball that he sent us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, multiple gloves and around is that commonplace for golfers?
Speaker 1: Well as hard as it was raining?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, they just dump them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have been changing my my glove every uh every hole.
Speaker 6: He reminds me of like one of those actors who doesn't get famous until they're middle age. I mean he's like, he's like sports middle age.
Speaker 1: I don't think Brian cares about being famous.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like you know, sometimes thirty six years old overnight sensation.
Speaker 1: But I like that.
Speaker 2: It's like I got three kids. I'm gonna feeding a baby this morning. I ain't famous, well he is. But it was fun to watch. But there was no drama there. That's what we were looking for.
Speaker 1: That's what you.
Speaker 2: Want down the home stretch there. All right, that was fun. We'll take a break here. Let's see if Fritzy can go two for two in the final hour and Steve Young. Is Steve Young going to join us after yesterday time?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say yes until he actually zooms in and I see you.
Speaker 2: Do you have inside information that Steve Young will be joining us?
Speaker 6: Just a sorry text that he said yesterday's thaying I'll make it up to you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: I won't screw you guys back.
Speaker 4: That was really it, going on his word from yesterday afternoon's text.
Speaker 2: Right, we'll take a break. I got some breaking news with the Boston Celtics. I'll have that for you coming up. We're back after this Dan Patrick's show.
Speaker 1: Sleep Number.
Speaker 2: Every great day starts the night before, and this is the best bed you can get. This is a bed that will be with you the rest of your life. Your significant other might not be, but this will adjustable firmness on each side. Couples can choose the ideal firmness comfort support on each side.
Speaker 1: Perfect bed for both of you.
Speaker 2: And it helped keeping you sleep throughout the night and your sleep quality my sleep number setting seventy five. Ask about sleep IQ. Also your partner snores, they have something for that as well. If you sleep too hot this summer. They also have the temperature balancing sleep numbers, Smart beds and betting. They thought of everything and they're always thinking of you. Sleep Next level unlock your unique potential right now a smart bed that can perform as well as you do, and now save up to five hundred dollars on the next generation Sleep Number smart bed plus special financing for a limited time only at sleep Number stores or go to the website. Go to sleep number dot com slash Patrick, sleep number dot com slash Patrick Sea store for details. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Look who showed up? I didn't think he could scramble anymore? Steve Young, the Hall of Famer. Fritzy tracked him down. Fritzi was gonna be mean Joe Green or Lawrence Taylor. He was going to find Steve Young. It's Steve Young, the Hall of Famer, set to join us on the program. Steve, good morning, How are you.
Speaker 5: I don't know what to tell you, brother, other than just pure stupidity. I owe you, but I apologize, but I never want to let you down. That's for sure. Number one, never let down. Dan Patrick so trying to make up for it. Here, I give you the best I got for the next five minutes.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we called Jim Druckenmiller because we couldn't find you. I said, get me a Niner quarterback. Jeff Garcia was busy, Monte Kenna, you know, is busy. We're trying to find a Niner quarterback.
Speaker 5: So you know we're okay, Well it wasn't available. What happened?
Speaker 1: Are you going to take your girls to see the Barbie movie?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: They were one of my youngest one last night, and I guess we're all going to try to go at Schieppenheimer tonight and then maybe towards the end of the week. So yeah, I think it's happening in our family. I got everybody in the summertime. How many the ones the last time you all went to the movies. It's been a while, so it's kind of nice to even think about them.
Speaker 1: But when the first time did we play golf? You didn't have any kids, right, that's how long? That's yeah? We were really and I go back, yes, but I.
Speaker 2: Remember, and then you had kids and then you started asking me about Oh my god, you didn't tell me and I go, you didn't ask about kids and especially girls? Can I help you with anything? Now?
Speaker 1: I have three girls who are twenty five and older.
Speaker 5: Yes, so teenage girls. They are a festival. As a festival, it's like, uh, like you know, but I but I love it. I honestly, my girls are my saving grace. My boys we're older, you know, we're boys, and uh, they're trying to figure it out. The girls are on it and uh and I love it. And they both of our tremendous athletes and so much fun to be around. And my my oldest girl is going to be a senior this year, decided to try high jump and then went to the state championship in California. Now is getting recruited after three weeks of high jumping, so you know, she's having fun. And my other ones a dancer, and I don't really need any Honestly, Dan, I don't need any help right now. I feel like I got it good, you know, thanks to them. Thanks to them. They're they're making up for Dad's a dollar, Dad's shortcoming.
Speaker 1: Okay, but don't let them fool you though.
Speaker 2: When you let your foot off the accelerator a little bit, they might take advantage of you, but I'm glad you.
Speaker 5: I might come back to you. I might come back to you.
Speaker 1: And and you're doing You're going to coach flag football.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, John Pay who played before Jim Drunki and Miller, was a quarterback of the forty nine ers, and he's been the coach over at Menlo School for many many years a girl and girls basketball, which my daughter plays. The school is starting the whole league is starting a women's flag football in the fall. Like it's a very organized, very big commitment. And so he called me and said, do you want to come over and help out a little bit? And I go, you know, I can come over every once in a while and help out. And that's how that that's how that happens. So John Pays the coach, and I'm going to bring Kyle Shanahan's offense to the whole thing.
Speaker 2: If you were playing now and the ability to be able to run, would you run more in today's NFL or pants more?
Speaker 5: You have to dan? The game changed when they change the rules around how defensive players can launch their bodies. And once they eliminated that, it opened up all kinds of space. I was Doug with Doug Peterson the other day, coach of the Jaguars, and he's like, there's just so much more space in the NFL game than there was before, and if you don't innovate and figure out ways to go take advantage of that space that's been created, especially at quarterback, you will lose. And so a game today is my game and so I wish that. I mean, I was talking to Michael Vick the other day. He's like, how much we wish we could go play today because there's so much space and you can go fill it up. And I saw Aaron Rodgers the other day and said, Aaron, if you're gonna go to the super Bowl, and I think he agreed that you're gonna have to get on your horse. You're gonna have to go get those free yards. You're gonna have to be in those big games. You're gonna have to go run for forty or fifty yards because they're sitting there. You gotta go get them. And every big game is it comes down. Even Joe Burrow now realizes when he plays Patrick Mahomes, I gotta get on the horse too. I'm gonna have to go make get those free yards that are out there. So the game has changed. It's so much more fun for quarterbacks, especially guys that can run. You're not gonna see quarterbacks like Dan Marino or Peyton man ever again because they can't go get those yards. They're free and you have to have them. So that's why Bryce Young is the number one pick in the NFL this year because forever more into the future, unless they change the rules again, you have to be able to go run and get those yards or you can't. You can't win Super Bowls.
Speaker 2: Wait, we won't see the likes of Peyton Manning or Dan Marino at the position.
Speaker 5: No, you can't because that there's too many yards to go get with your legs that are free that make the difference in the biggest games of the playoffs. That wasn't the case back in the day. That wasn't the case before that. The rule changes, So it's just it makes it. It makes it. I'm not saying it's impossible. It's just going to make the job so much harder for someone who can't go get those yards. They're free, they're open. It's the game is Look what the forty nine ers doing on offense. The Dolph I mean the Dolphins, the Chiefs, what Andy Reid comes up with. Patrick Mahomes can go twelve or fourteen in the first, you know, into the second quarter and never throw the ball past the line of scrimmage. It's a college game because of the space that's been created, and it's just not gonna be a place for guys that can't go get those free yards at quarterback.
Speaker 1: What would Michael Vick rush for now?
Speaker 5: We talked about that the other day and we both I mean honestly, coming off an RPO and just watching the safeties have to commit, and the linebackers have to commit and throw the football, and with so many threats coming from all over the place, and they can't patrol like they used to. Even talking to Tom Brady a couple of years ago, he says, Steve, the game's changed so much because they can't hit me, They can't patrol the middle of the field like they used to. Guys that the flats are always open. It's a fun, fun, fun, fun, can I say it all the time? Fun time to play quarterback in the NFL. And I wish, you know, they feel like the game came to me. This is my game, Damn this is my game and we all can do is watch it so well.
Speaker 2: I get nervous about Josh Allen. I've said the last two years, you know, can you take on contact? Even though as big as he is, it's like Cam Newton, he was as big as anybody. You can only take gone so many of those hits at that position.
Speaker 5: But Dan, you've got to be People always say you're gonna get hurt. You have to be smart. They ask too much of Josh, and Josh, Josh is such a earnest human being. He'll give you everything he has in so many ways. If you ask too much, he'll give you too much. And the Bills need to take a little bit away from They've got to give him some help at running back. They've got to take away so he doesn't have to be Superman every week. Patrick Mahomes is Superman every week because they don't ask him to be Superman every week. There's a lot of other things that they can do. The Bills ask Josh Allen to be Superman every week and then he tries to give it to him and it's too much and you can feel it, you can sense it. And I would like more innovation. You think about the innovative offense. There's a lot of coaches that don't understand what I just explained. They're still running plays from twenty sixteen. They don't work, they're not as effective. You have to come up with new plays that are going to take advantage of these new rules. And you see that with Andy Reid, you see that with Kyle Shanahan in Minnesota, you see it in Philadelphia. Those are the places that are happening there and other places. They're just not gonna win Super Bowls because they're not doing it.
Speaker 1: Are what are those plays that you're talking about.
Speaker 5: Well, it's it's more less how you deploy assets and how you can you spread you know, it used to be you spread the game in the NFL, you spread out sideline. The sideline you got smashed. Now you spread it out and you try to find holes and then attack, get the ball out in space, and then you know and and then a lot of it is you watch the forty nine ers, the offense, it's unique ways to get you know, the ball to players in unie space. Look at Deebo Samuel playing running back. You think, oh, what's the big deal. They used to do that back in two thousand, Like, no, it's you've got to watch the offenses and how they defenses can't patrol like they used to. They don't have this, they can't launch like they used to, and so there's this space out there that you've got to get the ball moving. Slip screens, quick screens, you know, think about all the ways they get the ball out into space into people's hands like they did. You know, like the college game of old is now the NFL game of today.
Speaker 2: Steve Young, the Hall of Famer, joining us on the program. We were talking earlier in the show about trying to look at defensive backs now and who is a Hall of Famer? What makes you Hall of Fame worthy at that position, because we're going to have to redefine what makes a Hall of Fame running back if we even let them in the Hall of Fame, which which is kind of strange to say. But as far as defensive backs, is there a sort of a bar there where you go you got to have x number of all pros or interceptions or.
Speaker 5: Yeah, probably winning, Like I think at the end, it's been hard. I mean it's always been for defensive football players, has been the Hall of fame. It's always been hard linebacker. It's subjective. He was a great line Oh he was an amazing linebacker. Well, how are you going to improve that? Well he was Defensive Player of the Year four times. Well that's one way to do it. Yeah, all pros another way to do it. You need you need those things. He led the league in interceptions. Those are the kind of things that make a difference. But in the end, it's really it is hard for defensive players to get into the Hall of Fame because it's it becomes a subjective. Get there's not as much easy ways to you know, quarterback, there's so many ways to to judge objectively. There's but running back. You make a great point about running backs that there's the iback is dead because you can't play that offense anymore. That offense doesn't get it done. And so anybody anybody says, well, you know, I'm going to be a great eyeback, Well go somewhere else and then go to Canada. Well that's how too. You're not going to play that. That position's gone. That's why Raheem Mostered is the poster boy for what what what needs to be for the running back to position today and everyone's looking for them. They're they're all over the place, and that's why the values are down. And then the league obviously messed up to CBA when they went running backs value comes much earlier in their career than any other position. They didn't want people to get the money, get rookies get paid or the first five years they don't get paid. That's when running backs are should get paid. So they've screwed that up.
Speaker 2: To But I was wondering, not that the owners are going to act we asking and go, yeah, we feel bad for these running backs, but it's there a solution where running backs could they do a three year contract at that position, So you're you're at least fair to them of what you're asking of them. But then there's the counterpoint of they're not as valuable to what you're doing as much as they used to be.
Speaker 1: So that's what do you do.
Speaker 5: It's a double rub and it really is a problem because there's the position. There's a lot of guys that can do it. Now. Look, they can line up wide receivers and run and play running back at deeble Samuel. I mean, that's just what the league is back in the league has changed, the rules, changed it. We got it the new reality. And for running backs it's not easy because they're the old you know, Derrick Henry at Iback is just it's those days are done. Super Bowl days. You can say, look you can you can go mall people. The Braven's have done it for years to go mall people with a really sophisticated running game. But it doesn't win super Bow. It's not going to get there anymore.
Speaker 1: Niners. Okay, at quarterback, I mean.
Speaker 5: Brock, I'm I think the thing that you should not do with Brock perty even though he's not the tallest guy, the fastest, the strongest, all that kind of thing, you should never limit him. He's just I always say the Star Wars analogy the force, you know, like Obi Wan Kenobi or Luke Skywalker, like quarterbacking, like we talk about Jim Druggonwiller. You have the force or you don't have the force. He has it. So I don't want to limit him. But he's got to get healthy. And I have no idea about that arm. I mean it's I mean, it feels like it's good at getting better, but that injury is super weird and I put the torque on the arm with a big, heavy football. You know, I'm sure he'll come back and play well, but how fast. And don't sleep on Sam Darnold and don't sleep on Trey. Let Trey cook too. So they've got guys, They got a lot of potential, no question. But of all the places, he said, Dan Steve, you can go, you can go back and play pick anywhere in the league, I would sprint down to Santa Clair, not even a question, not even close. Maybe I'd go to Andy Reid in Kansas City. I'd be like those two places I'd sprint to immediately because of the innovation that they're showing on offense that make the job for quarterbacks so much easier and so much harder for the defense. Those guys are the the you know, the innovative geniuses that are dominating the league because they understand what we've been talking about.
Speaker 2: Did you ever secretly hope that Montana would tweak his ankle or something, or like, yeah, maybe fall into shower.
Speaker 5: I had a great tip, uh, because I complained about backing up a lot. Bill watsh problem? You know, eastaid, Joe has hurt and then you could come in and start and Joe came running out the first day I thought, I remember immediately saying, doesn't look real hurt, you know, And so I had to sit there a long time and I and I was frustrated and upset, and I would go from mad to furious too. And I ran into somebody I really care about and gave me the greatest tip ever, goes Steve. If you don't like the job you have today, that'd be the best in the world has ever seen at that job. If you don't want that job, be the best at it. And so I was like, you know what, I'm gonna be the greatest backup quarterback in the history of the game. That's how my mind went. It was the greatest tip ever because then it left behind all of that weirdness of victimization and I, you know, I've been you know, I'm not getting my child or just be great at what you're doing. And I think it had a lot to do with when I did get on the field how it went.
Speaker 2: But it was strange that it was Joe Montana telling you to be the best backup quarterback that you can be.
Speaker 5: It wasn't Joe that said it. One thing about one thing about Joe he was I mean, I honestly, I could go on and on about the things that I watched him do and just go, oh, that is amazing. He was an amazing, amazing football player. But it was always awkward between the two of us. Like if I saw Joe today, he's in San Francisco, I see him every once in a while, it's always awkward, Like it's just it's just well, like what never argued, We never fought, we never had words, we never but it's just we were at for six years, just right in the same space. So it was awesome. It was it was it was awkwardly awesome. I'll call it.
Speaker 2: Did you do you shake hands with you see him? Or is it a hug when you see.
Speaker 5: Both both There's no there's no animosity, there's none. It's just it was awkward. It was hard. You know. It's like and I always and I always say to him, they got the best of both of us, That's what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, through it all.
Speaker 5: They got the best of both of us. And now I think that was Bill Walts a great genius, Bill wallsh I think that's what he was thinking about much as uh, you know we both want to punch him if we you know, great Bill Walls, but you know we both were upset with him at times, but he was a he was a genius.
Speaker 2: No, before I let you go, we have somebody who works with us, Marvin, who's a big forty nine er fan, and uh he screwed up asking Deebo Samuel a question at the Super Bowl, and uh he would.
Speaker 1: Like I remember this it was.
Speaker 2: It didn't go well, Steve. He basically go you uh am, yeah, I like the Niners.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Marvin's been practicing.
Speaker 5: Is he got written down?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Do you have this question written down for Steve Young?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, would you like to ask Steve the question?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: I would love to ask you.
Speaker 1: Here's Marvin asking Steve Young.
Speaker 4: All right, besides the Cowboys, who's your biggest rival when you played?
Speaker 5: Uh? Yeah, the Cowboys? I just threw up in my mouth. Uh, Charles Haley. So the Hall of Fame defensive lineman is on our team in the next year he's on the Cowboys. That worked out great. I would say, uh, it has to be the Packers, right, because Mike Homegrin. You know, there's a quick, real quick, dare there's a story. Mike Hogan leaves forty nine ers gets the who head coaching job of the Packers, and Bill Wallash had spent the last three years of his life packaging up everything that he knew. He knew that he was three generations ahead of the West Coast offense, and how he thought about the players as partners. You know, all of it. Speeches, audio based, paper based, video based of everything that he knew. And he put it in a box and handed it to Mike Homran and a toolkit. Said this is everything I know. This is yours. Now go and be great, and on the way out the door said I'll see in the championship game. And your question, Wow, we saw him in the championship game and we got beat. And I remember asking Brett Farve after the gaming, Brett, what was the big speech Mike gave coach Comgeran gave in the hotel last night, he told me the speech goes that was he pulled it right out of the drawer of Bill Walls's toolkit. It was Bill Wats's big game speech. But that's the spirit of Bill. You look at the league today, it is everyone is a is a is A is a descendant of Bill Watsh, Mike Homgan and Andy Reid and Doug Peterson, and it just goes throughout the league because of the spirit of abundance for Bill Wallh. So my greatest U second greatest nemesis was was was the great Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 2: I would say, great to talk to you again, my best of the family. Good luck with flag football, and uh, I hold no grudges, you know, no grudges showed.
Speaker 1: Up like no, no, no, never, no.
Speaker 5: We're in it just forgiveness.
Speaker 2: You and I'm Montana. Yeah, it's you and me. It's awkwardly awesome.
Speaker 1: It's you. It's awkwardly Yeah.
Speaker 5: Much love to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, always great, always great.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite guests, Steve Young, will take it break, Marvin did well?
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Yeah you did well. Was still look at the slime.
Speaker 2: Take a break. We'll close up shop after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at f s R or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 6: Two NBA Insiders, podcasting twice a week to plug you right into the NBA great.
Speaker 8: All happening in only one place. This League Uncut, the new NBA podcast with Me, Chris Haynes and me Mark Stein join us as we team up to expound on everything we're covering. Hearing and Chason.
Speaker 4: Listen to This League Uncut with Chris Haynes and Mark Stein.
Speaker 8: On the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Is this a this day in music history? Marvin?
Speaker 4: This was one of the answers to Todd's scoreboard.
Speaker 1: Oh it was? What was the question to.
Speaker 4: Number one song in nineteen eighty four? He turned the charts purple?
Speaker 1: Was the clue? Oh okay.
Speaker 2: Celtic star Jalen Brown has signed a five year, three hundred and four million dollars Supermax deal, the richest deal in NBA history, fully guaranteed, no player option, a trade kicker in there.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yes, Marv.
Speaker 4: I'm telling my kids, do not football, soccer, basketball, look.
Speaker 1: At, don't don't play running back, play soccer.
Speaker 4: Be a backup small forward. Yeah you can make ten million.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true.
Speaker 2: Is uh am bape going to turn down that seven hundred and fifty million dollar offer from the Saudis.
Speaker 3: I don't think anybody really knows, but there are lots of people who believe he won't go there.
Speaker 2: You could go there one year, and then he could go wherever he wanted to after that. There's no more updates on Lebron James's son, Brownie, who was rushed to a hospital yesterday morning suffering cardiac arrest. No longer in ICU, in stable condition. Michael in La Hey, Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey? Dan, big fan, first time, long time? Uh tents?
Speaker 1: All right, So I was.
Speaker 9: At the Barbie movie last night. I want Marvin's opinion. I think there was a nod to this show. Oh so Barbie. Without spoiling it, Barbie ends up in the real world and she goes to Mattel at the and she makes a reference as she walking into the corporate headquarters that she's at the mother Ship.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, well, thank you, Michael. I don't know Greta Gerwick, the producer director, but maybe she is a fan of the show. Don't know Will Ferrell was in the movie. We know that Caleb in Partland. Caleb, did you get your moonshine yesterday.
Speaker 4: I did, even though you told me it was going to be today.
Speaker 10: He tried to pull a fast wrong on me, but luckily I subscribed to the newsletter and got the email and was able to get two bottles on orders.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I'm glad to be able to take care of you. I thought that it was going to be today, but I did steer you towards the newsletter so you could sign up for the tailgate Moonshine.
Speaker 1: Zach and ile hi, Zach. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 10: How's it going great? Six foot a saw two thirty. I just want to talk about the running back situation here. I'm a Packers fan, so I have to be a fan of the running back. How do you see this changing the game on the college level just in general? You know, these guys aren't getting paid anymore. How do you see this changing the game? Is it going to be for the better or do you think this is going to be a long term thing with these running backs not getting paid.
Speaker 2: Well, they're not going to get paid, but they're still going to have beat people at that position. I mean, nothing's going to change for a while. I can't see that. I just thought with Christian mccaffreys salary that maybe that was going to open the door where other running backs would get paid.
Speaker 1: But it didn't happen.
Speaker 2: Alvin Kamara got paid in McCaffrey and I think that's about it this day and sports history.
Speaker 6: Paulieu eighteen fifty Dan and Worcester mass Well would and Yale freshman meet in the first intercollegiate billiards match. College billiards over jail that rivalry. Nineteen ninety nine and two thousand and four, Lance Armstrong won the Towur de France, and today would have been Who's seventieth birthday? Dann Walter Payton agreed, Walter, I always got to get that in.
Speaker 1: Of course it would be. Of course on this date.
Speaker 2: The only walk off inside the park Grand Slam home run in baseball history was hit. Does anybody want to take a guess? Nineteen fifty six the only walk off inside the park Grand Slam Todd Joe peppatone.
Speaker 1: That's a good guess, No, it's not. Joe couldn't run Seaton. Ricky Henderson No. Nineteen fifty six. I think rick I missed that point.
Speaker 4: Marvin Mickey Mannele.
Speaker 1: No Paulie, Oh you went no like he was close.
Speaker 6: No another New York Yank.
Speaker 2: No Roberto Clemente pirates. What we learned Brought to you by Tregger Portable grills for upcoming tailgate season. Portable grills for camping and fishing. The all new ironwood grill loaded with enhanced features everything you need. Timberline Grill. Join the tragger hood. Tregger Grills, making wood fired flavor easy shop at tragger dot com.
Speaker 1: Have a great day, everybody. We'll talk to you tomorrow.