Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: What's up everybody? Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show with my brother BD.
Speaker 3: What's hidening my dog? A lot of small boys? Bro? How you doing, my brother?
Speaker 2: I'm good, brother, you know, I'm just I'm chilling taking the off season and got to, you know, get up there and get a little bump with the inside the NBA guys.
Speaker 3: It's always always fun to get up there. Man.
Speaker 2: The gods so legendary. So that was fun checking these series out. Bro, you know nothing much. Man, I'm good, bro. But since you want to get into your uh, your next tape, I quite honestly think the series is over.
Speaker 3: How about you? Man?
Speaker 1: I still got hope. Look, I'm a firm believer. Is one game at a time. You're going back to the garden. You've been in all these games. Games you let two of them slip away, so you can't rely on nothing on the past. You just to come out and dominate at home. And I haven't seen the knicks to that yet. For forty eight minutes. I do like the substitution with Mitchell Robinson and Josh Hart. I don't like the timing of it, but from a matchup standpoint, I think it saves Josh Hart some minutes which makes him a little bit stronger, and also give Mitchell Robinson some minutes that he can get off to a good start, get through some easy buckets. The way you have to look at it at this point is we going home. We gotta win game.
Speaker 3: For listen, you mentioned twice going home to the Guard.
Speaker 2: It's kind of just a feeling I've had playing there, I don't think, and you played here, so maybe you can say differently, but I personally don't think going to the Guard it serves, you know, like it does you in need justice?
Speaker 3: Because does the Garden get loud?
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, like the fans, the Knicks fans are dying for her success, so of course it gets loud. But I personally just don't think there's much of a home court at the Garden. And the reason I feel that way is not because where most teams have like issues or a lot of some teams have issues where you know, if the Warriors are in town, it sounds more like a Steph Curry home game than it does a road game. Or like you know, Lakers fans travel right, like some fan bases travel, The Knicks fans travel right, So like not even from that standpoint of the fans, but the Garden is such a show, like it's the mecca. It's the Garden. And when I step in the Garden, I'm like, oh, it's like this is it? Like I'm putting on the show. So you're almost not even phased by the crowd and how loud it can get because you so into the moment, into the stage, Like the Garden is like one of a couple arenas where you can't see the crowd, Like if you look out into the crowd, it's dark. The spotlight is on the court, and you feel that and you're going to put on the show and you know the celebrities are there. So I don't think they get much of a boost boy going but just going back to the garden because guess what, Tyrese Halliburton is like, yo, I got a chance to put these boys away in the garden, like with spikes in there, and so you kind of get that same boost from playing at the Garden that the whole team can get.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, yeah, I mean most of them, I agree with just looking when I went to the Garden, it was always saying, hey man, this is Broadway. You get that level of confidence, that level of shovemanship, right, But as a Nick, you're playing in the garden get you get to hit first. It's a hit first mentality, and so a lot of times when people living in that essence, if you come out aggressive, you have to establish your level of aggression. And I think that is advantageous to the Knicks because if you look at overall physicality in the series, they've been kind of bullied, so to speak. And the retaliation when the Knicks make a comeback is the Knicks start bullying, start playing bully ball. But I think what's holding the Knicks back is the silliness, right, the unnecessary files, the getting in the bonus early, right, allowing Indiana to getting the bonus early, but the silly files, off ball files, boxing out fouls and then the turnover. So hopefully, hopefully both teams get to fill that Broadway essence. In that Broadway presence, I think the Knicks coming out with a hit first mentality and a door die mentality on their home floor should be advantageous to them.
Speaker 3: With the crowd.
Speaker 2: Behind, I think all that's great, but it gets to a point to where you have.
Speaker 3: To see some moment things.
Speaker 2: If you keep but you keep doing what you're doing, you're gonna keep getting what you getting. So when I when I take a step back and I look at the next team, like they made substitution adjustments. Outside of that, they haven't made many adjustments this series offensively or defensively, Like I don't see many adjustments that they've made. Like maybe it's like, yo, we're going into the post more. Because if you look at the Knicks from a post back down standpoint, Carl Ethny Towns should have the advantage posting a Pascal Siak, right, all right, so you go advantage just from I'm not saying overall players, just from a post up stand just from in the block. Yes, Carl Anthony Towns should have that advantage.
Speaker 1: Carl Anthony Towns can't catch the ball in the block.
Speaker 3: That's the problem. Man.
Speaker 1: He getting pushed all the way out the post. And so you really don't have a block advantage because when Carl Anthony tails make a good move, it's one two, three dribbles, spin to a layup.
Speaker 3: He not catching it in the post.
Speaker 1: Drop step, jump hook, drop step, get inside for the layup. It has to be on him creating space for himself because he get pushed damn there all the way twenty feet from the basket when he posts up.
Speaker 2: Okay, so again it goes I'm going to go back to coaching. So as the coach, yep, then I have to run some things to get him closer to the moss touches, meaning right like maybe it's an old school guard big cross screen and he you know, he getting the better catch there, right Like, as the coach, that's all me to figure out how to get him closer to the basket, because I think on a one two dribble spacing like necessary spot catch from Carl Anthony Towns, he should have the advantage on Pascal he got streamside, all right.
Speaker 3: Og and Enobi should have the advantage on Nimhar correct all right.
Speaker 2: So there's those two. Mike Carl Bridges should have the advantage from a post up standpoint on Hallie, correct, all right. Mitchell Robinson and Miles Turner. Mitchell Robinson, we're not posting him up, so we'll we'll throw that one out the window. And then Jamin Bruston he's very good in the post actually, like that's kind of his game. Will he be able to pull out on Nie Smith. Ne Smith got sides advantage, I don't know. But anyway, if you just slowed the ball down and post it up. And again, this is the playoffs. This is not regular season basketball. This is not oh man, the game has changed. This is how can I win this series. What looking at some of those matchups and the posts do is it can cut down on some of the turnovers because you can see the pictures develop easy, right, Like.
Speaker 3: You got the ball.
Speaker 2: If you double team comes, you see it, you get it out of there, like you can see the pictures develop easier. It also slows down the Indiana Pacers from two standpoints. A. It can slow their breakdown because you get them in foul trouble. You saw what Jay le Brunson kept getting to the line last night. It slowed the Pacers. Now now you gotta run a half court offense the old time, that's not quite where they excel, right, So it slows them down from that standpoint. But it also slows them down because now you got those guys guarding the post. That's taking them legs away a little bit more. It's not as easy to run, you know, and just push the tempo. But what the Knick just trying to push the tempo and them trying to push the tempo.
Speaker 3: It don't make sense.
Speaker 2: So then you end up like the Knicks are playing into their hands because they're better at pushing the tempo than the Knicks. And so I just think there needs to be some adjustments offensively. There needs to be some adjustments defensively that I quite frankly don't think they've done. Like if you start switching five right, like we've seen teams try to switch five for Holly and the Pacers, and Holly has given some of these teams fits throughout the course of these playoffs.
Speaker 3: However, it's Holle beating you one on one.
Speaker 2: The where you say, I don't care if this guy goes and that's on that one on one match up all night. But I'm not helping, right, So, like say he get to switch with Mitchell Robinson and he wants to go with Mitchell Robinson if he get a half a step on Mitchell Robinson going towards the rim, Hey, everybody, you stay home. We want to see him beat us, getting layups over Mitchell Robinson number one. Mitchell Robinson going to make up some of that at the rim and then Holly gonna beat us with step back threes over Mitchell Robinson.
Speaker 3: You kind of gotta pick something that you're gonna live with.
Speaker 2: But him driving and kicking and hip them playing pick and roll coverage and him coming off picking the pick and roll coach part, that's not gonna work. We know that's not gonna work. So I just think at some point, man, some adjustments gotta be made. You can't just keep doing the same thing.
Speaker 1: I agree, I would saying on the defensive, and when I watched last Nce game, every time the Knicks got into a pick and roll situation and never knew what they were doing, and that is not a good look. I'm talking about one to three to one, two, one four, it was just ultimate confusion, right, So you gotta do something because you're not getting overscreens, underscreens. You just getting confused. And really what I hate saying, and like everybody's pointing, and then when you look on Indiana side, it's minoi mono pressure. Get over the screen, make them work, make them take tough shots. I think Indiana has taken what the Knicks need. And if the Knicks slow themselves down and play their style, of basketball.
Speaker 3: If you can slow Indiana down, make them play.
Speaker 1: Half court, then, like you said, take advantage of the post situation. You're not gonna help shoot these guys. You're not gonna do Yeah, you're not gonna outrun them, right, you're not gonna out playmake though as a team. And then Halliburton, you know, you gotta pay attention to this man.
Speaker 3: He is their engine.
Speaker 1: So the start of the game, him getting those first four or five six assists, they're not even looking to score, like.
Speaker 3: You play into his hand.
Speaker 1: Oh, let me get Miles Turner a few, let me get them hard a couple, let me get past He just coming to the game to make sure everybody, you know.
Speaker 3: Got their coffee.
Speaker 1: They eating, you know, they in the flow, and then everything starts to just open up.
Speaker 3: So you gotta make him pick one way he's gonna play.
Speaker 1: He ain't gonna beat you on the points, or you're just gonna make him pass and make somebody else become the playmaker.
Speaker 2: Exactly. But thirty two, twelve and fifteen, come on, number, that's that's crazy. Four steals, zero turnovers.
Speaker 3: That is beating number. Beat.
Speaker 2: You had a game like that in your career, Yeah, zero turnovers, two steals. I mean Holly had the edge, two steals, Holly half four ten assists. You had Holly half fifteen, fourteen rebounds you had, Holly had twelve. You got Holly there. You had thirty three, Holly had thirty two. You got in there.
Speaker 3: You remember that performance.
Speaker 1: I hit the game winner that day, and they and they, and that is the sole reason why we have replay.
Speaker 3: They called it all. They waved him off.
Speaker 2: That's great, man, You ain't so it wasn't no replay to confirm that.
Speaker 1: Man, he called it off before I even released the ball. It was point seven point eight seconds. He went to the replay, doubled down. It was like, no way, he got it off.
Speaker 3: Who's the officier? What was his name, Bernie Fryer? Maybe I can't remember his name. Maybe he waved it off. We wound up going to overtime, I guess Orlando. But then in that same I think playoffs, Derek Fisher hit Remember the shot against San Antonio four?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then that's when they came with the replay. Oh, we gonna out to start going to the replay to see if these shots work or not, because how could Derek Fisher shot camp and min that's crazy. So little takes to history, NBA history man history in the game. But shout out to Hallaburton. You know, a performance like that, you in your back, you have control. I remember playing against Orlando feeling that that same thing anytime Patrick Ewing was in the pick and roll because Pat was older. Man, it's two dribbles, make him slide twice. He gotta go back and I'm following him right to the basket to create right. If it's anybody else they switched, it's over. When you and flow like that, and you see everything the game for Halleburnon, he'd be wide open.
Speaker 2: He be shooting wide open threes. It's like they give him so much space. And his shot takes a little time to load it up anyway, and they give him so much space and he just get it load.
Speaker 1: Nobody's putting pressure on him. I mean, he's a great guard and you got it, like once again, pick your poison. But nobody his challenge him, nobody's challenge his handle, challenge his ability to create his shot off the off the bounce.
Speaker 3: They just let him set. He just set him up. He's genius. He's genius. He has sensure.
Speaker 2: But Bebe, I was talking to Traveler's dad about his striver, was like, man, they is his handle like that? And I'm telling you the reason they're on pressure. I'm like that though, is Holly handle is very underrated. Yeah, sneaky, and all them boys know at different points where they tried to press him. Hell, he hit Mike cal Bridges with one at the end of the game to play where he got past got to Mitchell Robinson, the red back. If you watch that play, he back, he turned him around. So I think all of those guys also know that if they try to pressure over here, bop their ass so fast and they know that. But it don't look if you're watching the TV, it don't look like his handle like that. But I'm telling you, man, when you get in front, it's like Steph Curry and Kyrie Irvin their ball handling starts when it appeared to you that they've lost the basketball because you think they've lost it, and they got it so crazy on the yo yo. Where as soon as you go to reach, you so out of position and they didn't, and you so out of position that there's no way you can catch up.
Speaker 3: Holly got some of that where.
Speaker 2: It's deceiving, like you the ball look like it's staring before you know it, you go to reach and Bay Bay and Holly six seven. So whereas Kyrie is steph making up in like urky jerk and like just Holly.
Speaker 3: Also like he back back, he's six seven.
Speaker 2: His stride he gone, you know, And so it's very interesting to watch because looking at it on TV, it don't look it don't appear that his handle is like that. When you playing his handled its way tighter and nicer then it may appear. And I think those guys know that. That's why they're not pressuring them like that. But you got it.
Speaker 3: You can't just he too good to just let him see the court and pick your part. Yeah, he shifted. He's shifted.
Speaker 1: His is like body movelet like he's trying to keep you off ballots, keep you guessing.
Speaker 3: And it's not necessarily like attack at you.
Speaker 1: It's to keep you moving side to side and guessing if you if you do want to press, he got If you don't press, he's stepping back. So just great sign of a point guard of knowing you know your space out there on the floor and your space your defender space and being able to control the game by keeping your defender off you. And if they come up on him, he's been getting to the hole too, So you gotta figure out some Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean also he had Pops back in the building shout out to that, shout out the commissioner, Adam Silver, getting that done. I think that's fire. I think the only thing now is like they're gonna be going on the road, like left Pop's go on the road. You still got to sit in sweet Pops. I'm not in the business of want of guys to get punished and like one of guys to get suspended and losing money. I think that shit why and so I never like to see that. But in this situation and what happened with Holly Pops and the punishment and all that, and everybody like, oh man, he shouldn't get special treatment in life, Yes he should because his son is it's Tyrese Halliburton, and just say what you want in lifel like, different people get different treatment. That's just what it is. Like we can all sugarcoat it and be like, oh, like everything you should be the same, and that ain't how this world work. It's just not so he should get special treatment. He should be at them games. Granted he shouldn't be course out, he should be in the suite. Think he should still be able to be in the sweet at Massive Square Garden, right Like, how you gotta pay for it? So that's your punishment, right, Pops come to the game, you n U, you gotta buy sweet something. I don't think holly tripping over that punishment. I'm sure he won't Pops at all these games, right like, and so I just think, like, find a way, man for that man to be in the building.
Speaker 3: This don't happen often.
Speaker 2: Like his son is on the verge of taking the NDA and the Pacers to the NBA Finals to possibly win a championship. Let them experience that. Did he have a fucked up moment with Yanni's Absolutely? Yanna said he moved on. If Gianni's moved on, y'all move on. Everybody move on, right, and so let that man be in the building at all them games, because as someone who's been in the position, it's nothing like it like and you don't get these like, these moments just don't come back around. I was fortunate enough to be in the moment over and over again. But it just don't happen like that all the time, man, And so let Pops be at all the games. How I spent some of that that super Max money he got and bottom sweets at the roll game too, But let possibly at all them games.
Speaker 3: It's dope.
Speaker 2: And shout out to Hollie for responding the way he did with Pops in the building, making it a memorable performance. Having his Pops back in the building. I thought that was super dope. So shout out to them, man, and I got them closing out the Nicks in five. Nick is seven, but Shannon Sharp say a tick a big.
Speaker 1: Nick patience, hilarious, nix and seven we still got help.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's over, chat, it's a rap. We'll see it's rap. It's real. I mean it is rap city in the basement.
Speaker 1: We'll see Knicks win and game five just because of Jay Barden.
Speaker 3: I'm just you, man. The Pacers ready to move on. They balling up. They definitely putting it together.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: The NBA Finals are almost here and every play could be the one that changes everything. This is the NBA Playoffs where the heroes rise, legacies are built, and the action never lets up. And with Draft Kings Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA, you don't just watch the madness, you live it. Back your favorite team, ride with your kluchtime killer bet on, the buzzer beaters, the breakout performances, the game winning threes, from player props, to same game parlays. This is how you take your fandom to the next level. If you're new to the game, no sweat, download the Draft King Sportsbook gap bet just five dollars. If your best wins, you can win it up to three hundred dollars in bonus bets. It's that easy. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app and use code baron. That's code Baron for new customers to get three hundred dollars in bombas betts if your bet wins, and when you bet just five dollars only on DraftKings, The Crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one on over agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario. New customers only bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see dkang dot co slash audio.
Speaker 2: Well, remember to subscribe to the Traymond Green Shows Baron Davis so you don't miss any episodes.
Speaker 1: And don't forget to follow us on all social media. At Draymond's show, we are recording this episode before Game five of the Western Conference Finals.
Speaker 3: Will the Thunder win tonight? Yeah? I think it's over man.
Speaker 2: I just think, you know, with the Thunder, like I've seen some stuff coming from the Timber was that it's hard to rally around, you know, like at Man press conference last game saying he didn't get enough shots, Like I want to see ed Man just own that moment. You know what I'm saying, Like now I wasn't good enough, you know, because saying I ain't get enough shots like you got the ball.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So if at Man shoot twenty five times, this coach ain't gonna sit her, so you kind of gotta go make that happen.
Speaker 3: I told y'all earlier in the series.
Speaker 2: I also didn't like Bench and Julius rand in the fourth quarter in the game that he's having the first bad game he's having in the playoffs, and he get like bitched in the fourth quarter, like they haven't been through enough together to do stuff like that. You know where Steve Kerr in game Game three or four, Well, I got Bench Kina in the fourth quarter and then we started doing the offensive defense up.
Speaker 3: It was game three.
Speaker 2: Actually for me, it was different because it had never happened before. But we had such a foundation to stand on. We had multiple championships that we had one already to stand on to where Steve know, like, I can make this decision, and I'm not going to lose my guy by making this decision because I've won three championships with this dude. We've been through numerous series that has called for adjustments to be made. He knows how this works, right and like fine, like I bounced right back, come back Game four, credible, Game five, credible, Game six, right, like, but again, there was a foundation built for us to stand on trust. Chris Finshman, Julius Randall coached for like fifty something games because you missed the large chunk of the season with injury, so he's coached him like fifty something game. I'm not sure they have the foundation to stand on. And like Benjamin the four court for his first bad game. So when I saw that, right, Like when I say, I've seen things come from them that I really don't like. Like, let's face it, Okay, s he's the better team, no question, But just because you're the better team don't mean that you win. But when you are facing a team that's better, all of those things have to be right, and if those things aren't right, then you have no chance. And so I think those things catch up to you, right Like Bench and Julius round then he come out he having a bad game last game. It's mentally he like, man, I'm gonna come out like I know I'm about to get subbed out right, Like I can't make a mistake, you know. And so there's just different things man, that coming out of that series. Like looking watching that series that I see coming out that I noticed because I've been through it, and those are things that you play on in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: So you're facing to get facing those guys.
Speaker 2: I don't really, I just don't think they've put themselves in position throughout this series to take it now. As you know it always, it only takes one game to change the series. But I just don't see tonight being that night, like I think. Okay, see they coming out, they want to finish their breakfast, all right.
Speaker 1: So since you got the Pacers winning the ast Okay, see closing this up, why should fans be excited for a Thunder versus Pacers finals.
Speaker 2: I'm not one to get getting ahead of myself because I think I know better. I've come back from down three to one and won a series. I've lost the series being up three to one. So I'm not one that's saying this is happening because these two teams still gotta win it and saying that, I'm not even going to break down that series or even say why people should be excited, because I think you gotta finish your breakfast first. This is the playoffs, anything can anything can happen. So whereas I think the Knicks is done, whereas I think Tim is done, you got you got that last game it's the toughest one.
Speaker 3: You got.
Speaker 2: Both of those teams coming out free swinging because they know, like yo, I ain't got nothing to lose. This is it. This is our last wonder if we lose. So I'm gonna give everything I got. I'm throwing every hay maker I got. And by the way, both of those teams have multiple guys that can beat you and take over a game.
Speaker 3: Julius Randall can.
Speaker 2: Obviously a man can cat can Jalen Brother. Both of those teams have guys that can beat you. So I'm not going to get into which one of those how that series or being excited about it until it's time, because you got to close them boys out and it ain't always at.
Speaker 1: He's speaking of which you being down three to one on this date in twenty sixteen, the great Klay Thompson put a remarkable performance together, scoring forty one points hitting eleven three pointers in Game six against the Thunder and the Western Conference Finals. Y'all were down three to two playing in Okay, See what.
Speaker 3: Was that like? That was one of my favorite games to watch. You know what's crazy?
Speaker 2: That series, So if you go back and watch that series to start that series, we all smart at ourselves. What we did was we did not guard and Andre Ropers at all, literally didn't guard the guy to help on Kat and Russ who was guarding Andre Roe and literally left him wider. And it's a gimmick, right. We actually did it the year before the Tony Allen in a different way though, where we put me on Mark Gasol and I guarded him straight up. We put Harrison Barnes on twenty fifteen, we put Harrison Barns on ze Bo and just all out front no matter where he goes. And then we put Bogan literally behind ze Bow to help Harrison and kind of play Tony Allen off the floor. Once we played Tony Allen off the floor from the offensive, and their defense couldn't survive because Tony was just Tony was just fuck your whole offense up. Like Tony one of the best defenders that I've played against in my time, Tony allisonsane, oh my god, and so off. We used the offensive end Tony's lack of a bit shoot it to force them to have to take them off the floor because they couldn't score enough, and then then they couldn't pete enough defensively. Against our offense, and so that's how we end up coming back from down two one in that series of winning.
Speaker 3: Fast forward to this year, twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: One year later, we're playing against Okay, see, we don't guard Ropes and it works, and then they figure it out because it's a gimmick and it doesn't work anymore, and they figure it out. And so now we rolled in the game five and we like, yo, it's three to one. Were going home for game five? What like what we're gonna do? And we all were, Steve down, Steph myself, We're all like, yo, let's just guard them straight up. Make Russ and KD beat us and take everybody else away. Because when we've played this team and we've made Russ and KD beat us and take everybody else to wait, it's hard. So we're gonna make like we guarded. We're gonna guard him straight up. We're gonna put Clay back on Russ, We're gonna put Andre on KD and we just gonna guard him straight up, and they gotta beat us. And we won Game five, come back, Game six back against the Wall, and Clay brought the whole day. Clay like dray I got us like, there's no chance we losing this game. Clay get this little twitch, start twisting the show the like I got his trade. No way, like you could see in his demeanor, walk the whole thing, shoot around.
Speaker 3: No way we losing this game, Brian got us.
Speaker 2: Were down fifteen, and out of nowhere it comes Clay Thompson three three caught the ball at his foot. One of them shot at three and he's like, I'm telling.
Speaker 3: You we not. And so then from that point on we realized, oh we coming back. We taking this game.
Speaker 2: But now at that point, you know you got the series because they not coming back to Sam the Oracle. They not coming back to Oracle and beating us in Game seven. Right, So we came back in that series, and I remember, like it was yesterday.
Speaker 3: It was crazy. That's a crazy year. Man.
Speaker 2: You think about all the things that happened in basketball history in twenty sixteen, that series was crazy. Obviously we lost the finals three to one lead. That was crazy twenty sixteen. That's also the year that like Stepp hit that crazy shot and okay, see we had on those gray sleeve jerseys and that's like that shot was kind of like Steph's like, yeah, it's really me and really him. It's really it, and then history happens. It's crazy, but like that's all that year. But that series with Clay just coming back from three to one, it was insane. So you know everything that I said before this about it three one and living through that and being a part of that, there's no way I could kind of either one of these teams up.
Speaker 1: Okay, agree and disagree. We've seen a few conversations around the league online that we want to adjust, So during this segment, we will simply agree or disagree with certain trending basketball topics. All right, you ready agree, sir, Let's do it. The first one. Yanni's just got a sixth straight All NBA selection. Fans are debating whether Yannis is the best power forward of this era? Agree or disagree? Do I get to explain why I agree or disagree? Agree or disagree?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, Okay, I'm going to disagree, And the reason I disagree is this, Yannis has played in an era where it kind of became position as basketball, and I don't necessarily quite think that Yannis is a power for and has been throughout this whole become of Jannis, and so in saying that, that's why I disagree with that, because Jannis is one of the greatest players of this era and the game was kind of positionless. What made people start calling Yannis a power forward is because you had to start putting power, force and centers on Jannis. The team that you build around Janni is because his skill set was so great and driving are still great driving and getting downhill is you put a lot of shooting around him. So then when people look at the game, they're like, oh, well, Drew Holliday must be this position, and Chris Middleton must be this position, and that guy must be this position.
Speaker 3: Brook Lopez is a five, all right, great, So Jannis is a power.
Speaker 2: For right, And that's why I think people start saying that Yannis is a power forward because Jannis is what his attributes. He's sixty eleven, two hundred and fifty sixty some pounds strong, as an ox.
Speaker 3: Fast as a gazelle.
Speaker 2: Because of those attributes to his downhill prowess, the way teams had to start matching up on Yannis was putting power for as the centers on him, because when he was when you were putting guards on him because he handled the ball so much, they were way too small, and so in turn, I think people start matching up with Johanna's putting bigger guys on him because there was just no way you can guard him at the rim. So and so then people are like, oh, he's a power forward. But if you look at the great power forwards, Yannis don't play like Till Duncan. Yannis don't play like Carovin Garnett, right, And so I think people are being lazy or and or just don't understand what they're looking at when they're like Yanni's like pigeonholed him into the power forward position. I don't think that's accurate. And I just don't think that's very accurate. But we had to guard him because of his skill set and how great he is at it with power force and centers, that gives you the best chance at trying to contain him getting downhill and at the rim. That's what people did, And so I disagree because I think he's just one of the greatest players, and I think it's lazy or lack of knowledge. If people is just like, yeah, he's a power for I think you're doing him a disservice and his greatness.
Speaker 1: All right, Jannis is the best power forward of this era. I would say, I agree, starting at power forward, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't think they say starting that power forward. They say for forward in the in the hierarchy of basketball structure. If you're picking a team, usually you'll pick Giannis to be a four. But but here's the thing, though, because of the way he plays under no circumstances, anyone ever gonna say Giannis is a better power forward than Tim Duncan you.
Speaker 1: Just we're saying in this era of his era, like the ten years that he's been rocking, like the last teen years again, But if he's.
Speaker 2: A power forward in his erar, then that also puts him into power for power for of all time error. And I just don't think people like you ever give him a fair shot at passing Kevin Garnet, at passing Tim Dunk.
Speaker 1: Because you're not gonna see him with that same I he passed Kevin Garnett, he.
Speaker 2: Passed Kevin Garnett as an overall player, but nobody's ever going to just be like as a power.
Speaker 3: For I just don't want to give him that, dude.
Speaker 2: I just don't believe that, Like you you've never mentioned Giannis Anto the coupo and came alone in the same sentence.
Speaker 3: You've never done it.
Speaker 2: That's my point, Like, he's never going to be mentioned with the great power forward when you're having that conversation because it don't even fit. He's so much like what he does is so much different than those guys that you've never heard Janni's be mentioned with Charles Barkley. You've never once heard anybody say it, That's what I'm saying. So you're not going to get anybody that's going to be like, yeah, he's better than Barkley, he's better than these guys, because it don't even register that, like look at how this dude play that he's the same as them.
Speaker 3: That that's not a thing. I just disagree with it.
Speaker 1: But I would just say he's a one of one in his position, right because if you look at somebody like Dirk Nowisky, he's a power forward.
Speaker 3: He's not the traditional power forward, but he is. He's not.
Speaker 2: But we mentioned him when we talk of power force because he played from the block against those power for He wasn't dribbling the ball up the court, going coast to coast. He wasn't like, he wasn't doing that stuff. The only thing Dirk did different than most power force and shoot the ball, you know, get to the spot. Yeah, but like Janni's just hybrid.
Speaker 1: He's a hybrid forward, I would say, but power forward forward yet ain't gonna have to guard somebody, and somebody gonna have to guard him.
Speaker 3: And if you're saying.
Speaker 1: Power forwards and centers guard him, and I gotta say he's a power forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then so so what about the night where the coach gets smarter and they put a smaller guy on him, like Alice Caruso.
Speaker 3: Then then so now he's being guarded by Caruso, Then what that happens? Then what that happens? Now?
Speaker 2: The power forward ain't garden no more so so because it's all about your makeup of the opposing team's team. So then now we have a team that feels it's better suited. But if Caruso on Joker, does that make him now a power forward still? Because Alice Carusse ain't no power for matchup this map. But that's what I'm saying though, But he's kind of out the markets can be because I make a power forward. But you should have said he get guarded by power four, so that makes him a power for I think people has done that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people have to put power forwards and centers on him, which that.
Speaker 2: Don't make him a big man because that's the only Yeah, I disagree he's a big man.
Speaker 3: Lebron James came into the league as a point guard. Uh yeah, kind of these are facts.
Speaker 2: Lebron James came into the league as a point guard because of then you said came into They.
Speaker 1: Plays that point guard when he first when Jason Kids.
Speaker 3: Absolutely I agree they did.
Speaker 2: Just like Ben Simmons came into the league, let's make him put you put what fits. Let's make fits in right, Like James Hardy came into the league as a two guard. People still mission James Hardwood, Dwayne Wade. Nobody be missioning him with Steph Curry and Chris Paul have to way, he's a point guard.
Speaker 1: People mission James with this all right? He's a crazy point guard, is he not? Or he's a hybrid guard.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying here, guard Like I don't know, man, I just again we're arguing that team.
Speaker 1: How many roses we were giving Yannis at this point. So we agree and disagree, but we both agree that he's a one of one.
Speaker 3: One thousand percent.
Speaker 2: That's why I would think phoning him into the powerful conversation.
Speaker 3: I think it's a disservice to him. Just my thing.
Speaker 1: We'll do our fantasy all time fantasy draft and see if you draft you honest, where would you draft him?
Speaker 3: And him as a three second the second one?
Speaker 2: Get ready for more must watch TV from Vice Sports introducing The Grudge, a new series that will relive and unpack many of sports most intense personal and team rivalries, exploring the egos, history, and high stakes drama that turn ordinary interaction into unforgettable battles.
Speaker 1: Delivering something for everyone. Each controversy lace episode of The Grudge digs into the grievances between teams and the top sports personalities in football, basketball, MMA, baseball, hockey, golf, and more.
Speaker 2: Narrator Will Compton, former NFL linebacker and co hosts of The Busting with the Boys, will be joined by cast of personalities including retired NFL wide receiver Steve Smith, senior, four time Stanley Cup champion, Darren McCarty, former MLB player and manager, Bobby Valentine and renowned NBA journalist Howard Beck, and others who tell the stories of these animosities.
Speaker 1: You'll also see nostalgic archival footage witnesses, fans, players and coaches closely connected to that week's story. The Grudge premiere's Wednesday, March twenty six at ten pm Eastern Time, with the new episodes every Wednesday only on Vice TV. Go to vicetv dot com to find your cable channel. Paul George says the days of lockdown defenders are gone ooh, and that you can't do anything against players in the league today. So you know our league, the days of stoppers, those are pretty much gone. The Tony Allen, the tas Tony Allen types. You know, even myself, I call myself a defender. There are guys that I can't do anything with. I just have to help. I'm there enough for this to be a tough shot for him. He might make the shot, but I did all I could to make it a tough possession for him.
Speaker 2: He just got it. Tip your hat, Agree or disagree? I disagree. I completely disagree. Has he seen a man Thompson play basketball? Yeah, that's what I'm saying, man, I completely disagree.
Speaker 1: I think he's saying Nate Smith, me Smith, what's his name, Mex Smith?
Speaker 3: You've seen him? Who you know? I completely disagree.
Speaker 2: I think when I look at the Thompson Twins, those guys a long just kills that narrative.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I also think Paul George is making a huge mistake putting himself in the category with Tony Allen.
Speaker 1: I was just about to say that Paul George is not not.
Speaker 3: A lockdown defender.
Speaker 1: He is never he has never been considered a lockdown defender. A two way player, yes, but that's different. That's not lockdowns. That means you play offense good and you got you got good defensive awareness and you're a good defender. But he's never been a locked down defender. To really speak from that perspective, you know, he's a he's a he's an offensive guy, and so I think that the fact that people say he's a two a defender, and maybe he prided himself on defense, which you have to be anyway, but it's some young dogs in this league that's just coming out to lock people up.
Speaker 2: Has he seen too many Kamar that did a good play? Some defense, So don't tell me these types of guys are not around anymore. They're young, and I think when you look at the NBA, you're starting to see the tie turn. Like we're about to have an NBA Finals with somebody knew is winning the NBA Finals that's never won the last seven years, last year, so you're starting to see a tie turn. Cool, like, so, yeah, you gotta give these young guys a chance to actually become Tony Allen, right like that text time Tony Allen wasn't Tony Allen in Boston, right, Tony Allen and Boston was building to work guys like Yo, this dude, unbelievable defender, and then he starts showing this wreck, you know what I'm saying, showing it against Kobe and then he became Tony Allen right like, so you gotta get these these guys time to actually do it. But by no means they're not there, Like they're there. Maybe Paul George can't identify them because he ain't never been that, and that's okay, But to think that they're not there or say they're not there, it's disrespectful to these young.
Speaker 3: Guys that I see coming.
Speaker 2: They will possibly turn out to be lockdown defenders that in fifteen years, guys that they played with like Man I played against and Man Thompson I played against too many Kamara and them guys like the Tony Allens of our you know when we're coming.
Speaker 3: Through and it's not fair for step fair disagree.
Speaker 2: I completely disagree, And you know I would just say the PG, don't don't sleep on these young boys they coming for you. Don't do that and don't Paul George is a lot of things. First ballot Hall of Famer is one of them. He ain't Tony out. He ain't never been, ain't never gonna be.
Speaker 3: We ain't gonna do that, but we'll be a first ballot for sure.
Speaker 2: Anybody who want to question that, I'll make the argument for on his behalf.
Speaker 3: But he ain't Tony OUTA don't do that PG, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Before we get into our next segment of the show, I'm gonna answer some of your questions in a segment call BET with BD. All lines and odds we discussed today are subject to change courtesy of Draffkicks. First question, Barrett, do you buy into the zig zact theory of the NBA? Playoffs in your career, did you ever come off of game one when and think we're definitely losing Game two?
Speaker 3: Heck no, you think I'm gonna get another steal.
Speaker 1: If you're on the road, you've figured out a way to beat them, but you know that that team is gonna make adjustments, So you're definitely not thinking like, oh, we're gonna lose game two. You're thinking like, hey, this is an opportunity to get up too well. So that's really not the mentality. I don't think anybody has next up baron What stats or trends do you look at when betting on the NBA? Does it differ if you're betting in the regular season versus the playoffs? I would say for me, you're looking at games at home, games on the road, the last five games, minutes and touches. That's how I would measure anywhere when you're looking for people. If you betting on lines about people scoring or rebounding, you always want to take the last five games and then look at their plan time too, to see how much time have they been getting consistently. Is it increasing or is it decreasing? Is the coach looking at different lineups for that matter. And then I say, in the playoffs, you know that the coach is probably gonna play a tighter rotation, So you just really should you look at the regular season numbers versus the playoffs numbers. Certain players have a magic for showing up and overperforming in the playoffs, but that's usually going to be your superstars, with one or two guys on your team that's going to be relied upon, and usually that's somebody that people are not paying attention to. And if you take a look at these this year playoffs, it's been a lot of the three four guys who will be coming up with explosive games as well. Final one, Barren, When do you prefer to place your bets early in the week, when the lines are open, or closer to tip off? I say, for me, I would place one earlier in the week because it just kind of relieved the stress and the pressure, and then if I need to double down or move something, then I'll make another bet closer to tip off. You know, it could be based on injury or based on, like I said, a lineup adjustment, or something that comes in from the news later in that in that week or closer to tip off, I appreciate you'all chiming in. That was our segment betting with BD sponsored by Draft Kings.
Speaker 3: We got one get at me question for our fans.
Speaker 2: What do you think about the day Olives Mavericks getting number one pick in the NBA Draft?
Speaker 3: What message does that send to tanking teams? Don't tank? Don't tank is not gonna work out?
Speaker 1: Hey man, for Dallas, I mean, I've traded in the European actor for the.
Speaker 3: An American hero in Dallas in Texas.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, man, and this kid is probably the missing link in the trade for Luca that you get in addition to ad So the great American hero Gi Joe Cooper flag. Cooper Flag is like a Gi Joe type of brand. We need like Cooper flag type of figureins Dallas the South Texas. Come on, he's gonna have some dogs around him and his versatility.
Speaker 3: That's a win. Dallas wins d That's some incredible luck. There.
Speaker 2: One message that sitting to the tank continues for me, that shit don't work anyway anytime you're trying to lose that he never worked to your favorite stop.
Speaker 1: Okay, who created the four ring handshake? You do with Shock.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's just kind of so shock, you know, be able to do it, and there was always to pick on Charles moments up there. It's so fun picking on Charles and Chuck's such a good sport about everything and funny is hell that he get crazy comeback.
Speaker 3: So it's just always unknowing and so shot go around.
Speaker 2: I got four rings Kenny when I was one of my first couple of times on the set.
Speaker 3: Kenny, how many rings you got? Kenny got two rings? Yeah? How many rings you got? A full up? I mean this is actually I had three, but did it. I ended up getting four.
Speaker 2: He's like four and you do the bump, you know, Kenny do too, you know, like Charles we're gonna talk to It's just I kind of came about me and me and Shock throwing up our forest and boom, So that's our you know rings.
Speaker 3: Og Chuck along, man, Chuck is a legends.
Speaker 2: Man, Chuck, here's a lesson, you know, but uh, Chuck talk a lot of ship, did it a lot of shit.
Speaker 3: So it's always fun getting that Chuck. Chuck one of the best off man.
Speaker 2: I've been so fortunate to be around those guys talk basketball with those guys, extremely grateful T N. T. Craig Berry, Terror August who was there when I first came one man, all great people. So I've been very fortunately to be with that crew man. But it's gonna be a rap from this episode of The Draymond Green Show with the legend of my brother Baron Davis. We will chop it up with Chuck after some of these games, after what I think will be after the series.
Speaker 3: Nicks and next seven Let's go. You don't even believe that. I don't even think the Knicks believe it until next time. That's a rap. Peace. The volume