Speaker 1: Look mare, oh, I see you my own line and look over there is that culture. Yes, goodness, wow, lost cult.
Speaker 2: Dang dong lost culturistas calling in person and tactile.
Speaker 1: We need to touch Let's get tactic.
Speaker 2: We're gonna need each other for this one. You think, bitch, there's a pink elephant in the room.
Speaker 1: There's a pink barb elephant in the room. And in putting together the doc for the year of our cultural excavation we're about to do, I thought to myself, this was a rough one. This was a rough year in many ways, not in the obvious ones beyond and but we'll get into that. I'm getting ahead of myself. But you know what, I have to really shout out a piece of culture that does not have anything to do with anything we're gonna talk. Let's start on the positive note. Let's start on the positive note. I'm about to say some lyrics. Spit bars right now, bring the lights up, bust the doors down, dust yourself off, shake it up, shake it up. Does that mean anything to you, Selena Gome?
Speaker 2: It does? And it's literally so funny that you say that, what because can I tell you this is a song of yesteryear. But can I tell you I'm still listening to one song, and one song it is Single Soon. I play it non stop, Bowen Yang.
Speaker 1: What is the connection you feel to that song? The melody, the themes.
Speaker 2: When I am I'm going to break out in tears. When I'm listening to single Soon by Selena Gomez, I feel like I am untouchable. I feel like I'm that girl. You can't tell me there's a more empowering series of sounds than the three minutes plus I don't even know if it's three minutes.
Speaker 1: That's what I love about it, too, is a little snack of.
Speaker 2: A tune, A little snack of a tune. Should I do it on the phone? Should I leave a little note in the pocket of his coat? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Single Soon? It's a contender for me for a Record of the Year. But just Ohen just had to literally collapse. This is the first real conversation we're having about the culture.
Speaker 2: This is a huge contender for Record of the year Single Soon.
Speaker 1: Are we going to get a live performance at the ceremony this year? Don't you dare dangle that in front of me? And this is the million dollar question, are you going to let someone else perform that, or do you need to sing through?
Speaker 2: Do you need to be the best?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: My god, is this the year where we do individual numbers?
Speaker 1: I don't know if I have it in me bowen, No, no, no, we're not no have it in you, girl, girl, I'm not talking about cock ah. Oh god, it's been a while, girl, it's been a whow. Not that wow. That's a real cultural exclamation. I mean, well, we'll get to it. I bet we will sometime. Okay, we said it's a pink elephant in the room. Gag City is ruins. Gag City never was. Let's get that straight. Why don't you go first, take the floor. We are living through the life cycle of maybe the most effective distrack ever. Let's say that one line, no Name mention is sending these girls spinning out, frenzied, frenzied, and it takes someone like Megan the Stallion, who is the total package, who has been poked and prodded for years now by these people.
Speaker 2: And by these people, I just.
Speaker 1: Mean the general biomass of characters and entities that have made such disgusting light of this really terrible thing that happened to her, for which she was vindicated in a court of law. This saga that she has openly said, like I wish that bullet had killed me, Like this is a fucking trauma that this woman has to replay in her mind. Let's just say daily, Like, I mean, the din the noise around this incident has been in her head for years. At this point, the biggest names in music have like mocked her for it. Are we not surprised that she would like unleash her fucking fury on these tracks on Cobra and now on Hiss, which is, let's just say, an impactful song. I'm saying it's the it's the most effective distract of all time.
Speaker 2: Well, she barely had to lift a finger to get I don't know. I guess you could call it a response from Nikki, But then I guess it would have to be of quality to even call it a response. But continue, Let's just start there.
Speaker 1: I mean, the response, if we're gonna talk about it, is, and we are obviously the response is literally like put the phone in the corner under a desk while I fucking I'm a sponge Bob meme and I'm rocking back and forth saying like these people are fucking ungrateful. It's basically what we can conclude is that fame at a certain level is a disease, and it's brain rot and brain damage on the same level as like fucking cte. Okay, like this has carved out, cratered out a full lobe of this person's brain. And it's really sad to see, and just for our accountability, because a lot of reader's keyse Publicist finalists have rightfully wondered what our attitude on Nicki is, confused by it, a little surprised, disappointed, totally fair. I think we have been through the years very sentimentally attached to Nicki in this way that a lot of people might be, but a lot of people aren't. And that's completely fair as well. I think we have such an emotional connection to Nicki, you and I that it needed something like this for us to finally come out. I mean we were like over here being like, oh my god, Pink Freddy too last time I saw you.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: I haven't listened to that song since I really haven't given the album any spin, since.
Speaker 2: I don't even care for that album that much. That's the ironic part of all this, yeah, is that like her quality has been nothing. It's in a ghost of who she was in her prime. And I don't even like saying that about women, but like, it's been years since she actually was worthy of the zeitgeist, and she needs things like this in order to attain visibility because the quality is not there. I understand that there's people that are bopping to some of the songs.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: I see some of you gays with your FTCU on your Instagram story. Now couldn't be me, But like, I do understand that some of you are still clinging to that. But can I just say, outside of the baseless, derogatory, offensive, desperate content of what I guess she thinks she's achieved here lyrically in Bigfoot, it is so fucking sad that this is what Nicki Minaj has become.
Speaker 1: Because I will still hold.
Speaker 2: And I do think two things can be true That she, in her biggest, most effective day, was the most consequential, influential, important female MC maybe ever. And I believe that what she represented to so many people and the crossover that she was able to achieve and the level that she was able to get to is really important.
Speaker 1: Those days are over.
Speaker 2: There is something wrong with her, and you will not hear me talk about her and any of her new work on this podcast again. It is a full announcement from me because she is a bad, toxic person and the negativity that emanates from her day in and day out, minute in and minute out, second in and second out, on Instagram, on Twitter, on TikTok, on whatever, on whatever the Queen Radio is. I don't even know if it still exists. I don't pay attention that much. I enjoyed her at a point as an artist period, and I just want to say, what's really pathetic is a couple things. One that she's out here on like social media bragging and chuckling it up about how she had this huge debut of the song. I guess it's called Bigfoot. It is called Bigfoot. I know what it's called. I'm not going to pretend I don't know what it's called. But she's out here being like, Wow, biggest day ever for a female rapper.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: If I'm responsible for a car wreck on the freeway that kills dozens of people and it's the worst traffic accident in the world, and I'm responsible for it. I'm not getting on the internet to be like boo yah, I just created the biggest fucking traffic accident of all time. I'm the best person on the road. You didn't do anything here. You didn't create a hit song, you didn't create a quality song.
Speaker 1: You flopped. You're a clown.
Speaker 2: You look terrible, and the quality is not there in any regard and the fact that you are flexing about at the end of the song with this threat about and there's more where this came from. If you don't apologize to me, which Megan has nothing to apologize to you for, because all she did was state of fact, which is that you are married to a sex offender. The fact that you have five more dis tracks like what Locked and Loaded. If it's at this level, you can keep your distracks. Was the lead disc track?
Speaker 1: You can keep it. It can stay in the vault.
Speaker 2: She has something seriously wrong with her. I don't know if it's drugs. I don't know if it's the actual content and quality of her character. But I'm done. You can stop getting in my dms about it. You now know how I feel, And I also want to apologize to everyone who felt triggered, offended, or truly hurt by the fact that it felt like I was ignoring or Bowen was ignoring the fact that she has been an apologist and defender of people who have been convicted of sex crimes. And I want to make very clear, I did not know about her brother. I did not know that she had written a letter of a.
Speaker 1: Confect based basically did what Ashton and Miila did.
Speaker 2: With Sure, like with Masterson, like trying to appeal to a judge so that the sentence will be you know, that is her family.
Speaker 1: I didn't know this.
Speaker 2: I did not know the ins and outs of what her husband had done.
Speaker 1: You can believe that or not. I don't really care.
Speaker 2: What I'm telling you is I apologize for my role in propping up someone harmful because I think what you said is true. I allowed the fact that we have a connection to her. She is a central tenet of how we became friends, whether that is positive or negative. And I deeply truly enjoy her music from back in the day. I think she created some incredible songs. I think she's amazingly talented. It no longer matters to me at all. It is inconsequential to me, just like I feel she is inconsequential in the macro sense at this point, Megan, you have all of our support. Everything I've ever heard about you is that you are a star in front of behind the camera, in front of behind the mic. Everywhere I hear you show up on time, work your ass off, no matter where you are. I've heard the opposite about you, Nicki, and you know what, not that you're even fucking listening to this, but our listeners are. And I want you to know it's really important to me and I know to you that you all know where we stand.
Speaker 1: And this is to put it mildly, flop behavior mildly. The sort of manipulative irony here is that Nicky has been throughout her career, starting with the little Kim Beef on this thing of like I support other female rappers wrong, and I think she can even she probably even feels somewhat betrayed by Meg after they collaborated, after NICKI felt like she really elevated her in whatever way. But it's like there is this pattern of an antagonism from Nicki towards a large swath of these new girls, like I feel like Ice Spice is the current sort of like seat holder of that protege thing, and like it's just to Nikki, this is a completely disposable position, and it's really sad. It only feeds into this narrative that Nicki has created since day one, that she has been misunderstood mistrusted by other women. It's all very like she feels like she's an all about Eve. I don't know. I'm sure she doesn't think that, but I it's this really weird element to it where I'm like, okay, well, the only girls that are still caping for you are like what Bea like I don't know, like and Ice Like I really at this point, it's like, I don't know if Doe just still really fucks with her. I don't know if like it's certainly not mag it's certainly not fucking party Cardy.
Speaker 2: I mean, I didn't like it with Little Kim, I didn't like it with Mariah Carey. I didn't like it with Carti, and I don't like it now. It is always ugly and there's a common denominator And I'm sorry, but who wants this with Nicki? Minaj, Megan thee Stallion didn't need this with Nicki Minaj. It's not like she's like her Dora is being banged on, like people asking for feuds with her. Megan the Stallion doesn't fucking need this.
Speaker 1: Her you know, response to the response is perfect, keep doing your thing. Yeah, I mean, you said it all. I apologize for my nostalgic goggles as well for the ways that I have also made. It seem like we're ignoring all of these really dark contours of Nicky's other pattern of like not even like ignoring the proven out sex cribed by the men that she's associated with. We're talking about her brother, her husband, Takati six ' nine. It feels like that is a pretty cavalier sort of like fuck you to the way that young women are assailed by men. And it's really fucking crazy. It's really fucking crazy that, like there was a literal weapon involved in one of these situations and she's still out here being like, you guys are insane, you guys are fools. Haha, ha, I'm right. It's this like there is something extremely distorted and disordered about that. That's it.
Speaker 2: It's just you know what it is. It's like very reminiscent of Kanye where it just feels like completely out of control and baseless, and that makes me feel like there might be something really wrong here. And I'm not here to speculate, but but it's starting to fall into place where she needs help. She needs help, yeah, like she needs to stop everything she's doing and understand that these streams do not equate to support and success. Like I can't even tell you how many of those streams were probably people being like, what the fuck is this? Let me engage in it so that I am aware of what's happening. Mark my words. That song will fall off a cliff, Well, it will fall off a cliff.
Speaker 1: I read the lyrics the only I didn't really want to contribute memes to it, but I mean, the funniest thing is Baby Love famed queen in Brooklyn who hs of course the Factasia fame, we love, we support everyone. Check out Hobbitfest, the next installment of facts. But baby Love is having fun with this on No, it's.
Speaker 3: Nik the barbie in my seat. So my toes are white and I haven't ankly I have too.
Speaker 2: This is this is the quality of Nikki's.
Speaker 1: Blue foot two foot.
Speaker 3: If my name was Megan, I probably have one foot, we're going feet for feet, We're.
Speaker 1: Going foot.
Speaker 3: Foot and let's not forget it's feet for feet and it's foot for foot, and we're feet for feet and it's foot for foot. You only got shot on your one bad leg and now you only have one foot, but I have two feet.
Speaker 1: And then it's like I want to laugh. I'm laughing because it is like the distillation of like how Nikki, how Nikki operates in the current landscape of like internet and music and like this feud where like it is so fucking vile that she is going after keeps going after Meg this way, and like the kicker is that, like the verses are like that, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it. I'm really interested to see who turns up at the shows, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 1: Be honest, honesty, zone, sure, I was never planning on buying for that.
Speaker 2: No, first of all, for what, like for what songs, like for what like five old songs that maybe she would have done maybe not like I can listen to Anaconda like if I want to on Spotify, Like and also it's not like she's some incredible live performer.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but she's a joke. It's done. There is maybe a tone here of us being like, oh, we never liked her anyway. No, that's not what it is.
Speaker 2: It's not what it is.
Speaker 1: And I bring up the fact that we were never going to buy tickets to the tour anyway, just as a sort of signal internally between ourselves, between you and I, within ourselves, that was just like, I think the enthusiasm has been dead for a long time.
Speaker 2: I would be so embarrassed to go to that show, Like I wouldn't post from it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's like, And the reason we bring it up is because it was floated amongst our friend group to go yeah, and then we were like, oh maybe yeah, and then like there was literally no impetus to move forward and actually go because ultimately, like we don't like her anymore.
Speaker 1: And I get it, Like I think we were.
Speaker 2: Excited about the Pink Friday too of it all because it literally called back to Pink Friday. And to be honest with you, I have been rooting for her to turn a page. I have been rooting for her to leave this man. I have been rooting for her to like leave her old ways behind, to return to like what she was and what she meant, and you know, the person that I thought was there who maybe wasn't ever And sometimes people reveal that, and sometimes it takes people a little bit longer to say, you know what, I'm actually out take this for what it is. This is what it is for me. I really don't feel the need to talk about her anymore. Like she's a toxic person and it's a toxic situation. And what we can say is Megan the Stallion. You're obviously the few, you are the present and the future. Forget about anyone coming up, like there's room for everybody. But like, Megan is Megan the Stallion. She is that girl, and you don't even need to look any further than what she produces and what she creates, which is what matters. And ultimately, one person is flying high and seems unbothered, and one person seems completely bothered, exclusively bothered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is the frequency at which she operates always. Now, like I'm sorry, this might sound a little frivolous. I couldn't make it through her seventy three questions. I didn't even because because there's just this vacancy. But also oxymeeronically this like, yeah, really strained darkness that you can.
Speaker 2: Just see and feel it.
Speaker 1: It's not even that, it's that she is like something broke, something broke, and I think I think it happened since she like was prominent. I think something happened to her, something changed, something rearranged. There's something wrong for sure. And yeah, and we're obviously not medical professionals, but I'm watching the seventeen questions being like, there is something really weird here and I'm not going to finish that.
Speaker 2: She was horrible on Watch What Happens Live, too, terrible, like literally wouldn't swing the bat at any of the dumb fucking questions that got asked on that show. And also it's like the way that she just operates on her own schedule in terms of like this is a live television show.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know, I'm totally out. I think her last totally out, her last moment of like oh Nikki, yay for me was her coming into the Potomac reunion. That was the last time I was like somewhat excited to see her.
Speaker 2: But even that, like when she was on Watch It Happens Live and again, like we're almost done. But like when she was being asked questions by him about Potomac, she wasn't even on the right side of that. She like made a face and like winced that Candas's name. I'm like, that's not it. That's not where, that's not.
Speaker 1: Where, that's not where the good right side of history is. People. It's been long established that it's like, oh, you gotta side with Canvas on this one. I mean, I don't think Candas is one hundred percent no, no, no, but but I don't think her argument against Robin Dixon and Wan Dixon makes one hundred percent sense. But I think she's also realizing that and calming down, And I think she genuinely is going to come to the reunion with like because I have kept up with that. Actually, I think she is going to come to the reunion wanting to make amends. Whether or not other people on that cast want to do that, I think will be there their death certificate on that show. I think that there needs to be a change, and I think everyone knows there needs to be a change, And I think how people come to the reunion and how people come to play in terms of like the show going forward will dictate a lot about who's there next year. But anyway, Gag City in Ruins population one. I think it's still unfortunately populated, but it's with people. Like some of the stands on TikTok are so disappointed. The barbs are like, the barbs are dejected. Oh it's not a good vibe. And I feel for them, I really do. But it's been the surface, not even beneath the surface. Yeah, for years.
Speaker 2: Can I say there has been theme park news today? Please tell us and if you follow me on social media at Matt Rogers though, where you listen to the podcast Lost Culture Recess, which comes out Wednesdays and people forget this, but it won the iHeartRadio Podcast of the Year award. This is the ninth season of the show. But this podcast broke all the news that Epic Universe has all these lands. Come with me here, Come with me, Come here on a journey girl through Epic Universe, which has four lands, well five Celestial Park, which will include the dueling racing launched coaster Starfall Racers.
Speaker 1: Was that attached to a franchise?
Speaker 2: No, honey, I love ip ye and let me pitch something right now, Matt Rogers and bow and Yang in Starfall Racers the movie Hold my hand right now. You play one Starfall Racer and I play the other.
Speaker 1: Mind you.
Speaker 2: I don't know what this is, but I know there's two, and I know that I'm pointing to you and I there's two. We need a theme park, ip, we need it. Oh, don't you worry.
Speaker 1: We will work so hard.
Speaker 2: Do you understand? Like Bowen and I, we just want to be in a pre show. Oh, and we would be so good.
Speaker 1: I would work for free.
Speaker 2: I would work for free, and I would work for in And can I say something? We would be amazing. We are so talented. We are so talented, Like we.
Speaker 1: Are both so good.
Speaker 2: Come on, bitch, we would be so good.
Speaker 1: We're so gifted.
Speaker 2: We're gifted. We're periodic. I'm sorry, I'm not. It's the year of ambition and verve. This is the year of ambition in verb.
Speaker 1: That's why you put what's that song? Single soon? That's why you're spinning single soon? Is because you feel invincible.
Speaker 2: I'm single now. Oh, can I tell you something? It's a Ruler culture number four single soon. I'm a single now and I'm acting like it out in the streets. I'm at Barries five times a week, and are you are you picking up trade at Berrie's.
Speaker 1: I'm not picking up trade at Barries because can I tell you something, I'm very much deeply in the Kadie population when I am at Barries. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: I feel as though it's eighty percent Kadi's twenty percent gay guys. I'm gonna say, ur named Kyle Kyle, and can I say the Kyles? I see you and I know you're out there part of the fandom. There are Kyles that listen to this podcast. There are Kyles.
Speaker 1: I had a Kyle come up to me New Year's Day at Wrecked and this Kyle was the Kyle.
Speaker 2: Of all Kyle.
Speaker 1: Oh you know who Kyle is.
Speaker 2: Well, he was like Alpha Kyle. He was like six good, the six foot six guy, like whatever, all muscle. I was like, okay, Kyle squared.
Speaker 1: He was Kyle squared and he was very sweet and then all he wanted to do was talk to me about Anatomy of a Fall. I was like, you're a Kyle, Go off, Kyle. He was like, have you seen any like Awards movies yet? I was like yeah, like a few, like he was very That is a Kyle.
Speaker 2: Talking about anatomy of a fall at wrecked? Is you coded? Well?
Speaker 1: I'm saying that if you see a tall muscle gay, don't write them off as a circuit queen. They might like they might just they might love the work of Just and Sandra Hueler. They might just be sweet guys who like film. Some of these people are like wearing the sheep's clothing of for some reason. The sheep are muscle circuit guys. But they're wolves and the wolves are I'm following the film experience dot Net prediction index.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can I tell you something? Yes, I found this out. Me and Sandra Huler have the same agent. Shout out Houston Costa who not for nothing, Kyle.
Speaker 1: Oh that's lovely, Thank you Houston. Shout out.
Speaker 2: Shout out, I mean hand some effective agent also represents Grete Lee.
Speaker 1: That is quite the roster. Matt Rogers. Hi, I'm Houston. I represent Matt Rogers and this is just.
Speaker 2: A shout out to Houston. I'm ready to audition whenever.
Speaker 1: Girl. Houston't get to work, No, he wore I know, I am kidding.
Speaker 2: He works constantly. He's one of the hardest workers. I'm proud of him.
Speaker 1: Had a good team.
Speaker 2: We almost have the same team, but we have we have, but we have some divergences.
Speaker 1: We have slight I would not even say overlap. We have tangential points that the circles are touching but not fully occupying the same area.
Speaker 2: This is a peak behind the curtain. We have the same manager, we have several of the same agents, and it ends there.
Speaker 1: That's really it. Several is even generous, I would say a couple. Yeah, and that's.
Speaker 2: Sort of our team. That's a peak behind the curtain. Get to know the family.
Speaker 1: Houston well, the legend Olivia. She has been part of our life for many years. She is an important force. You know what's funny.
Speaker 2: Yes, the year that we're going to culturally excavate, that was I think the year we both started working with a lot.
Speaker 1: That's not that's not my year. But I was twenty year were you twenty eighteen? I was twenty eighteen. I was the next year. Should we get into the year or do you have more to talk about? Well, I just wanted to say about Epic UNI.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, of course, Okay, So there's I just wanted to say about Epic universe lands the story of my life. There's never been a celestial Celestial Park is basically, so you gotta go online and really check out what this is going to look like, because it's going to be stunning.
Speaker 1: So can we pause and talk about the word celestial one of the most go on. I'm just gonna say when I don't mean to interrupt your No, this is important that you do this. Celestial is one of the most beautiful evocative words in the English language.
Speaker 2: I think they knew that when they picked it for the gardens Celestial.
Speaker 1: The first time I heard celestial was in Digimon Wow. Anja woman has an attack called I think celestial arrows or something, and I thought and something. I felt the free song. Even as a young child, I said, what is that?
Speaker 2: What was that? Okay, James, I said, Celestial? The name Celesti is very important.
Speaker 1: In my life.
Speaker 2: Oh the legend Celestium of time of time. Oh the title of EPP Celestial Celestial colon the Legend of Time. That's the title of app. Talk about Celestial Park and the other parks.
Speaker 1: There is a.
Speaker 2: Carousel called Constellation Carousel, which is themed to the constellations. It will not move in a circle. It will move in a figure eight. And what do you ride? You ride constellations, Darling.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that even looks like, but stay tuned off.
Speaker 2: And it will be many restaurants and themed attractions within Celestial Gardens, because epic Universe is supposed to conjure up the universe.
Speaker 1: And what more evocative thing than the stars than space?
Speaker 2: Can I say it all goes back to space? It truly does. And you know that we also often set things that we do in space. You'll remember the third act of Night Soap.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I have an idea this week for something. You have to go to space. You have to bring I out of space. I want to bring iouta space. Oh she belongs there? Can we say? Io is hosting Saturday Night Live?
Speaker 2: That is the first like friend of ours that is gonna go host Saturday Night Live. I'm gonna go. And when I heard the musical guys was j Lo? I said, Io and j Lo? That's yes, so powerful, I said, Io and j Loo, yes so So the Celestial Gardens will be the center of it will be the Grand Helios Hotel, which is which correct, you know exactly where this is going so it's the elements.
Speaker 1: It is water, it is wind, it is the sun. And don't forget Earth, Mama, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't. Okay, it seems like you did. You have to welcome on Earth's get through the park all you said three things. Well, just don't I feel like we've been on the same page. Girl.
Speaker 1: I'm getting you back in the book Violent Girl Island Girl. This morning. I to hey, Violent, Violent, Violent.
Speaker 2: You have to see pictures of those hotel. It's gonna line the back of the park. It's like the monument. Yeah, the Four Lands for the children. We have had to train your Dragon the Isle of Burke.
Speaker 1: They're shooting a live action how to Train Your Dragon. You're kidding me, Well, it can't come into better time. My good sister Bronwyn James in Wicked is now currently in Scotland shooting to how to Train your fucking kidding me. She's having a blash, she's learning archery.
Speaker 2: She's gonna be in Wicked and how to Train Your Dragon is the universal ip, the universal ip. She's a empress, she's she's she's she's Leeds legend.
Speaker 1: Look out for Bronwyn James.
Speaker 2: Y'all is that announced that she's going to be in live action How to Train Yes, yes it has so that's one length and it will have several attractions, one including a roller coaster that will be okay for kids. Yes, that will be a live show called Untrainable, which is from another overseas Universal Park. It's escaping me right now, but it will be stunning.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 2: There will be a great hall restaurant if you've seen the How to Train Your Dragon films, among other things, a bunch of flat rides. Let's move over and listen. Talk about problematic, but this is just is what it is. Ga City there will be There will be Gag City.
Speaker 1: Can you fucking imagine?
Speaker 2: Can you imagine going like they spend millions and millions billions of dollars on Gag City Universal and then this happens. So there's a Harry Potter section. It will Ministry of Ministry of Magic. So this what I'm hearing is called Harry Potter and the Battle of the Ministry of Magic. And the main villain is Dolores Umbridge, which is kind of cunned.
Speaker 1: If Amelda she looked, but Amelda getting a amel doesn't give a shit about pre ride experiences. We don't know that yet. I think she does. I think Amelda, I'm I'm whatever about Amelda. Can I tell you something?
Speaker 2: You never forget Glenn Close and the Audians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rienwind pre show mate.
Speaker 1: I think Glenn Close understands the cultural value and importance of a pre show. She plays Imani ray oh Emani. What was better than that?
Speaker 2: You know that when she put the wig on, she said, she said, I'm Amani, I'm mild. She's been doing work to make sure she's serving Imani.
Speaker 1: And we love Glenn. The eye line was fucked. She was reading the prophets, reading the prompter left to right and to and fro.
Speaker 2: But that's okay. She's one of our great actors, one of our greats. She couldn't be off book because none of the words make any sense in the pre show, so it would be hard for gotten to be off book. This is the thing, Matt and I will be off book. Don't even question whether or not we get Okay, am I about to drag someone.
Speaker 1: There's a certain pre show I drag.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, there's a certain pre show in Disney.
Speaker 2: Where every single time I'm there, I say this should be bowing you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Are you talking about the guy in Avatar by passage? That's very nice of you. I think that should be you. That's so nice. That's the like.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but why isn't that bowen Yang? You can find it online. I'm sure like every second of it should be bowen Yang and it's not. Every second of it is someone else. But okay, okay, so there is I'm getting to the most exciting one last for me, which will surprise them. Then there's Super Nintendo World, which, if you've been to Universal Studios Hollywood, you know the Mario Kart ride em hm for me. But it's also gonna have a Yoshi Omni mover and a Donkey Kong Country with a Donkey Kong coaster called Minecart Madness where the car will jump the tracks.
Speaker 1: Think this is the fourth time you've mentioned it on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Moving on, Then there's The Dark Universe, Yes, which which is the Universal Monsters and the main ride takes place in Frankenstein's Castle and stars Victoria Frankenstein. But is this of the Diablo Cody movie. No, that's Lisa frankl The last. Sorry, I can keep up with this Stan family. I said, who's gonna play Victoria? Naomi Watts. No, I hope not. I think not because no, not because I don't love Ney, because I want I want better things for Nee. I'm excited for few Capodium Swans. You need to make up your mind better things for Nee. We're saying this is the pinnacle of show business.
Speaker 1: You know what You're right, Naomi. I hope that you booked.
Speaker 2: I hope that you booked, just like I'm excited that you bood Coyote Coyote Capodi versus Swans. Can I tell you I love Truman Capodi in Cold Blood one of my favorite books. I he was the original mess. He was the original mess. It's actually real coachure number one hundred. Truman was the original mess. And these Swans. Diane Lane to me, Molly, Molly Roland, Callista, Callista playing Lee Radzeville, Carol found Born, that's my mother in law, she said, that's my mother in law, Carol.
Speaker 1: Another woman whose brain has been rotted by fame. Anyway, do we think that?
Speaker 2: Sure? Yeah, album all the housewives, on some level, there's at least a dime sized marble sized hole in every Housewives brain Can I say I wear some in mind? I wouldn't change a thing about any of them. Speaking of housewives, You're not gonna believe this. I was personally invited, as were you. You can't make it, but I will be going to the Legends show on Friday, Countess lu Ann, I will be there about fifty four below. I am so excited. I'm going to have my party cabaret shoes on. I am so excited for Lou oh be singles. I hope she doesn't cover. Can you imagine like Countess Lou doing single soon? It would be so jazzy. I can't even I'm so excited. You will get a full, well not a full review. You're going to a short review on the podcast next week because we actually have a guest.
Speaker 1: We will not reveal who the guest is. You're gonna love it. I can't wait for you to go to what is this Friday? This is Friday so exciting.
Speaker 2: And tonight if you're listening to this album on Wednesday, I'm hosting Ariano Maddox's book It Show event at town Hall tonight Wednesday. Are you seeing her in Chicago while you're here? I would love to I'm like jam packed. I'm gonna see if I can potentially get something for Saturday Day. Yeah, but I really want to because if I don't go this week, then I'm not gonna be able to go at all, I think because I have to. I have to be in La for good reasons. Yes, we're gonna see I'm gonna try. I'm seeing Sarah Paulson Inappropriate with mss L.
Speaker 1: Love that, and.
Speaker 2: I'm also seeing Cola Scola show. Oh oh Mary, Oh Mary. I actually have a fun night on Saturday, a great night.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna go see Cole show, and then I'm gonna go to your show, love that, And I really want to see Oh hold on, let's pause. Let's let's pause.
Speaker 2: While we pause, I'm just gonna sing, oh be single soon, ah be single soon.
Speaker 1: I know he'll beat a mess Lana, Okay, Oh be single soon? Oh be single soon. I added that I oh, my favorite part was coming up.
Speaker 2: Oh I let's say hello one, stay out later about one.
Speaker 1: I wanna do a one do. I'm picking out the dress, die it on these shoes.
Speaker 2: It is, oh be single soon.
Speaker 1: It's such a bob girl. You ate that gotta come on the.
Speaker 2: Pod Lena, we would love to we would we would tickle you with compliments now not our fingers. I understand that that's controversial, controversial, Not everyone likes that.
Speaker 1: Some great shows that I want to see as well. Seven Years Disappear, starting Taylor Trench, former guests Nixon, Oh and written by Jordan Sevie. And also I need to go and see The Connector Scott Bacula and Ben and Ben leave Rock.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Wow, that's exciting. Scvacula, what a little hunk.
Speaker 1: Oh, totally remember Looking, We're Looking.
Speaker 2: It was just I guess the anniversary of Looking.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I'm actually I never watched past the third episode of the first season, and I'm giving it a full rewatch. No, it's really good. It got really good.
Speaker 2: It got really good.
Speaker 1: I just like, I'm like, this is at the time and it still kind of is like revolutionary. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that people were very hard on that show because breaking news, like the gays all hate each other but not you, Kyle, but all we love you.
Speaker 1: Kyle. You did great, You were really good with Looking. You're talking about Kyle in general, I'm talking about the Kyle.
Speaker 2: It's not surprising that looking didn't have like a ground swell of support because.
Speaker 1: I'm not getting get into it, but just like it.
Speaker 2: Didn't get the appreciation it deserved. It was actually great, and that end of the first season was really good. And then friend, my dearest Michael Sue Rosen is in the movie. He gets fucked by Jonathan Groff and then they have a sweet scene. Anyway, Happy birthday, Michael. Oh, I love him.
Speaker 1: He's a sweetheart. I love him.
Speaker 2: So we love you, Michael Sue ros and Michael Sue.
Speaker 1: Should we do the cultural excavation.
Speaker 2: Let's do the cultural excavation, and let's just.
Speaker 1: Put out there you all were assuming experience twenty seventeen with the rest of us. Yeah, this is my thesis going in, not to sour the whole thing, not to cast a pall from the start. I'm looking at like best picture, highest grossing film, Like the albums of the year, like with the exception of one, really I think seminal album, like most of the culture of this year.
Speaker 2: Even I'm gonna say the celebrity deaths, there were a lot this year.
Speaker 1: Remember that. I was gonna say, there weren't that many. Oh, there weren't.
Speaker 2: Why do I seem to remember twenty seven. Oh yeah, so who died? Oh Hugh Hefner, Mary Tyler Moore. That was a big loss for breaking Bill Paxton. I mean Bill Paxton was an icon to me for his performance of Twister. Twister and talk about great pre show acting.
Speaker 1: Amazing pre show acting in the Twister appreciation.
Speaker 2: Oh Helen, then Bill Paxton and that Twister a pre show ate that up and they could not film it together because they what did made along? Yeah, okay, well let's just go through.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get ahead of myself and maybe you you can be the person who decides. I just think as we go down this list, after that fucking banger of a year two thousand and nine that we just went through, this is.
Speaker 2: It's definitely we're sea sawing here, we're sea sawing. So two thousand and nine was a year of so much promise and potential, and two thousand and nine was the year so many things broke open and it.
Speaker 1: Felt like it was a lift.
Speaker 2: Twenty seventeen that was a downer, you know what I mean, Like this was obviously let's just get it out. Trump inaugurated, starting things off with dreadful vibes.
Speaker 1: Trump inaugurated Muslim travel band Women's March, which is its own little bummer and its own little men, and it was an amazing moment. But the fact that it had to happen, the fact that it had to happen, and then the fact that it sort of was deflated with all this internal drama in the years since.
Speaker 2: But you know, what a moment.
Speaker 1: And then also we'll get into this later, but like the year that me too sort of broke open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of okay, But let's start with film.
Speaker 1: So this Star with films is just the tone that we're setting because this was the year. Well I'm literally.
Speaker 2: Looking at like the top grossing film, people, and the top grossing film was Star Wars episode seven, The Last Jedi eight eight. Oh shit really? Uh oh, I didn't see that third one? Yes, episode eight.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I literally identify as a Star Wars fan and I knew that. I did know that, you guys, Star Wars episode eight. The this is Remember how negative.
Speaker 1: People were about this such a controversial and I think it still holds a lot of mixed feeling within the Star Wars. I like this movie a lot. It's like Ryan Johnson knows what he's doing.
Speaker 2: I just feel like the disrespect and the it was weird because it was like with Star Wars reboot, right, It's like, first of all, it exists to service the fans, yes, but also within that you do want it to be like its own, engaging, risky movie, right, And they did so much in that movie that was bold and risky and fun, entertaining, and like you know, the reveal spoiler alert that Ray was no one, she didn't have like lineage that like tied her to anything.
Speaker 1: I thought was kind of a chic choice. Love that choice.
Speaker 2: And then like when episode nine comes out a few years later, like they reveal actually she was Palpatine's granddaughter or whatever the fuck, which I also appreciated for its own drag, Like I remember Rise of Skywalker essentially a drag film. They're all dragged on.
Speaker 1: It's a space.
Speaker 2: A space offer for kids.
Speaker 1: For chilling treads.
Speaker 2: So people seem to forget that and they act like they've been like gunned down by like these movies when they're not exactly what they want them to be or they don't. It's weird, Like did you want a retreat of Empire strikes Back, or did you want something that tried to have the impact and influence of Empire strikes Back for me, one of the greatest movies of all time in its own right, and I feel like that's what Ryan Johnson went for, and people were not responding well because I think that they, if they were to be truly honest, wanted something that was more of more repetition.
Speaker 1: Then they're actually comfortable admitting with a franchise like Star Wars, I think you can never win because Force Awakens was to was to like Paint by Numbers, a New Hope nine. Rise of Skyworker, which I don't hate, by the way, No, I think it's really fun. It's so fun like fucking Ray and Kylo Ren's moment in nine is actually I love it.
Speaker 2: When they kissed, it's so funny, beamed out loud, it's amazing. I was so happy, by the way this is. It didn't come out this year, but Rise of Skywalker Matt Whittaker and I saw it in forty X Love the same day we saw Cats and the seats moved and Chess the seats were flying around and Matt, God love him, doesn't do well with that and when I tell you forty X, something that gets lost is that they spray you with water so aggressively. By the way, this came out like weeks before the pandemic.
Speaker 1: So we're in chairs.
Speaker 2: That are like flying around getting sprayed with water, and Rise of Skywalker came out, and the pandemic like was being born like somewhere else in the world.
Speaker 1: And it made me laugh.
Speaker 2: I just said, this was so funny because to think that we were just in an atmosphere where forget up being careful for the droplets were out like.
Speaker 1: We were be sprayed by moldy water.
Speaker 2: Like oh god. So but anyway, that's enough for another day.
Speaker 1: Very very honey, I shruck the audience.
Speaker 2: Very that very that bowen. Well done, Thank you, incredible park history, theme park performances by.
Speaker 1: You, Rick Moranas, Thank you amazing. That was my favorite ride. For a second. I was like, we have to go to epcots like you. We can do, honey, I sh the audience.
Speaker 2: I remember being too scared to go on it because I was what you're sitting down the whole time.
Speaker 1: I know, honey, but this is what happened. Listen.
Speaker 2: Violent what happened was I chose violence on myself by being that little kid that was so excited and obsessed with theme parks that I would research them to the point where I knew everything about them going in.
Speaker 1: And there was a snake.
Speaker 2: The snake is a gag. You would it's so reputation.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I wish I wish I had been who I was went today then because I would be so excited for the snake. But I was so scared about the snake jumping out that I didn't want to go.
Speaker 1: And my dad got so pissed off. I remember and that, and my grandmother was like stop, like go on the ride. I'll stay with him. And I remember we watched the jumping fountains.
Speaker 2: It was you and your grandma and my grandmother god Rest, and we sat and watched the jumping fountains. And that's one of my greatest memories of her, is that she sat with me when I was too scared to go on the honey as the shrunk the kids, and we watched the jumping fountains.
Speaker 1: And I love my grandma. And a figment statue was not far away, not far well. If Taylor Swift knows what's good for her when Reputation TV comes out, she should release it along with Honey, I shrunk the audience, by the way.
Speaker 2: So that all I never agreed with anything you said ever more than this week.
Speaker 1: And we'll get back to reputation in a bed. Oh because guess don't forget don't the energy this synergy?
Speaker 2: Okay, So Star.
Speaker 1: Wars episode anything I was, I mean, your Laura Dern in a purple wig.
Speaker 2: Oh, pew pw p pew pe pugh.
Speaker 1: Of course she did pew the gun kinda kaziing into a star Destroyer.
Speaker 2: That's iconic.
Speaker 1: I mean, oh, it wasn't a star destroyer, no, she she was in the Star Destroyer. Yeah, and then she kind of cozy through it like the fucking yeah, she she saved the day. Let's just be that.
Speaker 2: I thought that was so well done, Like she was great in that. She was better in that than she wasn't marriage who.
Speaker 1: I think that's just the sound dropping out when that happened, like fucking Leah fucking floating through space. Oh yeah, that was County. It is I I don't know where like the fandom is that. I don't really engage too much in it, but I hope we've all like caught up to the risks and the boldness that that movie was pulling off as a Disney franchise, as a Star Wars franchise. That take, that takes a vision in a direction from I I just love Ryan Johnson, me too so much and huge fan, huge fan.
Speaker 2: I just think eight, I hope we how do we all feel?
Speaker 1: Let us know?
Speaker 2: I think you can't trust I don't know the fandom. Like it's almost hard to be like an intense fan of something and react in an honest way right away, because you're either going to be overly enthusiastic or overly defensive, uh or like overly dismissive, you know what I mean, where it's just like it's ruined or it's incredible, or it's just like it's gonna be something out of ten, whereas like it's art, it's like it's sometimes it takes a second, like you might not have the right take right away, you know what I mean. Like, and I think, actually, as we move into the Oscar section of this, it's interesting because I think two of the movies that came out this year are going to stand.
Speaker 1: The test of times.
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe several of these and neither of them are the movie that won Best Picture, right.
Speaker 1: I just also want to say, also, gad like when Luke goes out into the field at the end and like they all like fucking stood at him.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: That's I just really love this. It was a good movie.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, it's really fun and it gives you it gives you the grandeur and the space operadness, and it also gives you tension, and it also gives you something different, which I think is important and a good thing.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good thing too, especially coming out of like the campiness of like the prequel trilogy. It's like, yeah, this is a different kind of camp that is also very well paired with like the gravitas and the tragedy and on the violence and all this stuff. Like I think it's I don't know, I really I really loved Last Jedi. I sig mean. This is also the ninth highest grossing film of all time. Okay, let's get into the Oscar winners. So this was the year of the Shape of Water. Thirteen nominations. Is she gonna fuck that fish? Is she gonna fuck that fish?
Speaker 2: Oh? Sorry, yes, George Severi's joke. Yeah, is she gonna fuck that fish. She's gonna fuck that fish. You fuck that fish? And Olivia Olivia Octaber TV Spencer played that arc of are you gonna fuck that fish?
Speaker 1: She's gonna fuck that fish? You fuck that fish? So well. She received her second OSCAR nomination or her third second second, She's all three The Help.
Speaker 2: Then there was Jesus Christ, We're flopping, Oh, Hidden Figures, Hidden Figures. I forget which came first, but that's not our job yet.
Speaker 1: I think it was The Help, Shape of Water and then Hidden Figures. That sure, I think that's that's the way. Let's say we think that.
Speaker 2: Okay, we can't verify.
Speaker 1: I have to say.
Speaker 2: What's important to say is that I don't care about this movie Shape of Water. Yeah, and I don't think it's one that's gonna be like looked back on as like an important film. However, I do understand it winning the Best Picture Oscar because of the way that kind of goes sometimes where it feels like not the safe thing, because there's nothing safe about this movie, like it's essentially like a creature of the Black Lagoon like update that I think is like, you know, risky and bold. I just when I look at the other movies that came out this year, like there's so much year that, like I feel is important, like for me, Get Out and Lady Bird or.
Speaker 1: Let Him Throt are there important? Yes, you know what I mean. And even let's just say call me by your name. Absolutely, let's even say it. I mean, don't you don't have to tell me twice and I don't have to tell you twice about how much I love Itania Love. I think Itania is an important film in terms of rocketing Margo. Not that she wasn't a star before, like she had star making performances that like put her in the A list, but I think this was like a solidifier. This solidified it for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I loved her in this. I loved her in this, and I just I really I liked the movie a lot. Also, I think it was my first real exposure, real knowledgeable exposure to Sebastian Stan who's my favorite, and was so the way he made Galuly hot. I was like, why don't do I want to fuck Glue right now?
Speaker 1: You want to? I think? I I think I want to fuck Galulee.
Speaker 2: And that was something revolutionary to want to fuck Jeff to want to fuck Jeff Galuley, Jeff Right, Yeah, Jeff Galule. The Shape of Water wedding, I think was kind of a given right because the other real competitor was Dunkirk, but that it like has ten less nominations than Shape of Water. I couldn't give a fuck about Dunkirk. Like for me, it's like, yeah, Shape of Water is like a Best Picture winner.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: For me, it's like, I remember there were two films that year, they were get Out and Lady Bird that felt to me like important important, not only because they like introduced like Greti Gerwig and Jordan Peele like in this way as like really important singular filmmakers going forward, but also like I felt get Out was so inventive.
Speaker 1: I felt it was so.
Speaker 2: Smart and great, and I loved like the blend of comedy and horror that he would become synonymous with. And as everyone knows, I don't do horror well, but I can watch this again and again and again.
Speaker 1: It actually is one of my favorite movies. Did you see Us?
Speaker 2: I could not handle us? Because you did, But I've seen Nope and I've seen get Out. But Us to me like pushed it to the next level. But you know what is true about us. I listened to the soundtrack. It's so funny that I got five on it, I got remix, I listened to it like all the time. It's that and single Soon. I kind of rotate between that, you know, depending on the vibe. But Love Get Out, Daniel Kluia like exploded into the mainstream. Alison Williams Resurgence, Oh my god, Bradley Bedford and Catherine Keemer Keener Why did I say Keemer? But yeah, just like a really really important, incredible film.
Speaker 1: And then Ladybird.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just first of all a Staircia and Laurie Metcalf, that dynamics all amazing, And you'll never forget Lloyd Metcas's performance at the end when she drops her off at the airport and like can't be bothered to go in with her, and then she starts sobbing and circles the block and runs in and it's too late.
Speaker 1: Just like so great. Also, I love Lucas Hedges in this, Lucas Beanie all great.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget the moment when Lucas begs Sirsha not to tell anyone that he's gay, and the way he just broke down. It was one of those moments that I just like literally involuntarily like started to emotionally jumped out of my skin, and I'm like, gret is just She's just phenomenal. Yeah, she's just phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Other important movies I put down Wonder Woman, Mother The Post, Coco, Coco, Coco, Love Coco. Let's move on to music. I think I'm ready for it.
Speaker 2: Bound we didn't know what we were being given. Well, actually, you know what, should we be honest? Honesty zone.
Speaker 1: Let's be honesty z own. I'm ready to be honesty zone.
Speaker 2: And also can I say like this relates to my I don't think so, honey a little bit later, because we already talk about this little lady.
Speaker 1: But when look what you made me do came out, I did not get it at all. I didn't understand.
Speaker 2: And also, this was a period that was tough for Swifties, and I remember we were not necessarily diehards at this point. I think we were a little oversaturated with her post nineteen eighty nine Imperial phase. The choices she were making in public I were a little questionable, and we were just a little bit, like certainly not better than the big conversation, than that conversation about her, and we fell off a bit. Look What You Made Me Do came out and I was like, what is going on here? And then the album came out? And what I feel like Once I heard the album, I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: Can we be honesty zone? Yeah? Once Gorgeous came out, I was in the closet. I felt like I was in the closet again because I thought, walk through this, no one can know that I love this song.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: I loved Gorgeously, still do I will, but Gorgeous stamp but Gorgeous came out as a promotional single before the album came out. Ah, so it was, uh, look what you Made Me Do? I think it was ready for it? And then Gorgeous, Yeah, and ready for it. I was kind of like it was a banger from the jump I will That's That was a closet and moment for me too, because everyone's like, this fucking sucks. She's trying to do hip hop and I and I went, but wait, she pulled off this thing that, of course, on its face is going to be like laughable because it's like Taylor Swift wrote a hip hop song, but like I remember at the time being like, this is kind of great. And then Gorgeous came out and I was like, Okay, she's just having fun being like flurry Little Girl again, which we haven't seen since, which wasn't even on nineteen eighty nine. I was like, maybe we haven't seen since. I'm gonna say speak now, or like Red where she was just like coquettish, and it was like I like this, I like this tailor. And so then when the album came out, I remember someone, a journalist friend of ours, was like, oh my god, the Taylor album just leaped.
Speaker 2: It's so bad. Want me to send it to you. And I was like, at that point A already had it mm hmmm, and B was like, it's not bad. Well, first of all, I'm on record, I think it's her best album. It's my favorite album. First, I also think it's her most romantic album because it's all about the beginnings of Joe and the clinging onto a person while the rest of the while the rest of the world says they're done with you. And the depression that she was in we now know was so real and she genuinely thought it was over over, and she found someone who made her feel like a version of herself again, and that all went into the music and fight Me Delicate is the best Taylor Swift song of all time. Wow, Delicate Not only is it the best track five, it's and I'm not even being hyperbolic, like Delicate in the concert is a moment for ever, for everyone to enjoy life.
Speaker 1: To enjoy life, Just enjoy life.
Speaker 2: And the entire reputation segment of the erast you can tell she fucking loves it. Oh my god when she stomps out there at the top. I said, let's go back in time to the year twenty seventeen. Let's go back and let's relive militant but secretly wounded and romantic tailor this Taylor on the offense but also privately like vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Huh. Come on, I'm gonna say that reputation is the piece of mainstream culture that has maybe aged the best from this year. I would agree with you. We're gonna get TV, We've looked at movies. There are other incredible albums we're going to talk about that we're also in twenty seventeen. But I think reputation thank God for it, because otherwise they would have been full rot. Do you know what, I just.
Speaker 2: Realized what reputation is so last Jedi coded ah, Oh my god, the impact of that statement. I don't understand what Wow, I know what you mean. I know what you mean. I know what you mean. But for you to connect those dots, my sister, this.
Speaker 1: Is a cultural excavation.
Speaker 2: Appolit sligh.
Speaker 1: I wish I could go back in time.
Speaker 2: I wish I had been seventeen and twenty seventeen so I could write an ap comp essay on this. I would body it. Missus Mahr would say, I know that's right. Let me press play, Let me press play. Let me give this paper a hundred.
Speaker 1: I will say. My weird Swifty wrinkle is that Endgame is one of my favorite Taylor Swift songs. Endgame.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not up there for me, but I respect, love, worship, and enjoy the opinion. And I need to say this hugely underrated music video.
Speaker 1: Yeah really, Joseph Kahan. She's in Miami, Tokyo, London, and she is. This is one of the rare Taylor Swift videos where she is what having fun, having a good time. I think she's having fun a lot. But it's like this is pure, like her being like, Okay, look what you mean to do, not really necessarily having fun right, m delicate, She's kind of like in the Ring having fun and delicate, but there's there's a melancholy to it.
Speaker 2: Endgame is pure, like good vibes. I'm on a yacht in Miami. I'm riding on a fucking motorcycle with Future. I am getting drunk, getting fucking what a drunk people get in the UK like knackerd No, that means tired.
Speaker 1: What nackard means tired. I'm like smashed.
Speaker 2: They're getting smashed in the but like she's like having a great house party meet in London.
Speaker 1: She is eating ramen in a little jutle shop in Tokyo. She's playing Dance Dance Revolution with these Japanese girls she just met. I said, this is what I want out of a Taylor Swift song. Sometimes I'm so happy to see you so happy.
Speaker 2: I love ED because it makes me feel like I'm having fun. Can I also say In the re release of Reputation, a lot of people talk about like what song needs to have a moment get Away car, get get away car, get to My Heart and get away car. Okay, so listen, I'm gonna get personal here. No, no, are you about to King of my Heart meant something to me at one point. Now I've put it away. Get Away car is the truth because listen to me right now. Nothing good starts in a getaway car. Think about the place where you first met me. When they tell you when the red flags are there from the beginning. You are not better than that.
Speaker 1: When people show you who they are, believe.
Speaker 2: Them them first right away. Don't allow yourself to get in the getaway car. Is this her most my good starts in it? Getaway Car is Taylor Swift's most My Angelou song?
Speaker 1: And what ruler culture is that?
Speaker 2: Well, it's her Loto coature number twelve getaway cars.
Speaker 1: It's taylors my Angelou song. I Live to get away Car. You were jet Set Bonnie and Clyde. There is no more apt song than jet Set Bonnie and Clyde. Until you switch to the other side, to the other side, it's no surprise I turned you in because never win. Well, she's clearly never watched traders because they sometimes win.
Speaker 2: Can we side by for a second I Am almost through Australian traders by far the best version.
Speaker 1: That is a huge claim. It's the claim I'm making are shooting daggers at me? Bitch? Violent? Okay, violent wow, her violent album representation. The album was largely snuffed at the Grammys, except for her Best Pop Vocal Album nominations. We we saw that Mo and Miss American. Can you even believe this wasn't an Album of the Year nominee?
Speaker 2: It's so insane?
Speaker 1: Retrospective reviews opined that the initial reception was clouded by the negative press and describe the album as a work of experimentation and artistic evolution. For Sweat, some of her best lyrics.
Speaker 2: The melodies are sick yeah, even in Ready for It, which like in the middle of a night Magies, you should see the things.
Speaker 1: Wait, if you slow it down and play on a piano, it's like really pretty. Oh I love Ready for It. Okay, Record of the Year. So now let's get into the Grammys, because this is where you start to see the desiccated cultural landscape. Not to and this is not a drag on the artist that we're about to mention, but so what dominated the Grammys? Bruno Mars is nominated for six Grammys one all six. Yeah, Record of the Year, twenty four Carrot Manderic, Album of the Year, twenty four Carot Mandrix Song of the Year.
Speaker 2: That's what I like, Yeah, which these are not bad works. I actually happened to love that album. I love Bruno Mars, seen them live at excellent live performer, Yeah, like fantastic live performer. I do think when you start to look at best new artists, a historically flopped category that never gets it right or that rarely gets it right, we love this person. Yeah, but this was a she was nominated against Alessiya Kara one. I mean I think, looking back, that should have been Saysy's award. I have a feeling that I'll be rectified at this year's Grammys. I actually think she's.
Speaker 1: Winning album with that year. I have a hundred year Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: That would be SOS would be a very good win for that. But can I say about twenty four Carrot Magic and that's what I like by Bruno Mars, I feel like, are we going to be thinking about this song in years to come? No, but we're not bot mitzvah party motivators, right, and so I think if you're a bot mitzvah party motivator, this is a really important song of twenty four Carrot Magic but has step touch, clap clap. This gets the moms up, It gets the little girls up. But do the little girls care for Bruno Mars.
Speaker 1: I think they do. Like these jen alpha girls that are at that are at the bat mitzvahs.
Speaker 2: You have to remember the power of a wedding. Can't tell you what's not going anywhere in the monoculture wedding.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying the life cycle for a song that ends up being in the cannon of wedding music, wedding songs on the dance floor, it's a long cycle, like Shout Shout, was not that girl until like the nineties. I have a feelming we'll still hear twenty four Carrot Magic. I'm sure we will, but I'm saying it's receding right now and then the year twenty twenty four, it's gonna make a roaring comeback at weddings at funerals.
Speaker 2: If you play twenty four Carrot Magic at my funeral, which is next week, by the way, no, I will kill you from the grave.
Speaker 1: Girl.
Speaker 2: If you played twenty four Carrot Magic at my funeral, which is next week. I Will kill you from the grave. Remember I said that, I remember it's on record now. I think twenty twenty eight, twenty nine is when this song is we kind of crown it, Okay. Other awards other top selling album mellow Drama by Lord, I.
Speaker 1: Think Melodrama Dan by Kendrick Lamart reputation or are the three oh I'm sorry control Absolutely are the these four albums that are like in the vault of the year, but also the year overall for music was also a little huh. Like in a good year for music, there are we can say like ten albums that are like huge. But Melodrama what an album? Yeah, the maybe the best sophomore album of a pop girly in.
Speaker 2: The last, Teenage Dream is found absolutely teen years drowned and left in the water.
Speaker 1: I think Breakaway has is hurting right now. I said fifteen years you did so that I think teenage Dream makes the cutoff, but I would say Melodrama and teenage dreamer on similar echelons.
Speaker 2: Think about how I have to listen better? Thinking about thinking about how I have to listen a little better.
Speaker 1: A little better sometime.
Speaker 2: Damn I Kendrick Lamar. This was three albums in a row of like Wow, of like Good Kid, Mad City, to Pimp a Butterfly, and Dan like this is like we need Kendrick.
Speaker 1: Back in a big way. Say it, don't spray, I'm not spraying, and control obviously. I mean, this was the album that I think really broke her through. I think this is the album that made me say not cultures for me. But I said, she is our generations. Joni Mitchell, It's kind of.
Speaker 2: You've been saying that this deeply confessional, like out pouring from the fucking heart in a way that's different from Taylor in a way that's like this is raw and this is like what is on the page.
Speaker 1: When you told her that and she goes to you, oh so you like me? I was like, yeah, oh so you like me? You like me?
Speaker 2: This is And then I said that.
Speaker 1: She was like that's so nice, and she was like, I really don't know how people feel about my music. I was like, really, She goes, I don't leave the house.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. But I think I think that was before the album came out, and now since then, since SOS, I mean since SOS I think she's she's out here celebrating. I mean, all she had to do is look out at that crowd we were in in Madison Square Garden and feel the love. And then she came back out.
Speaker 1: That was so cute. I love her. I love her too. I love her okay, and then after laughter, hugely underrated Paramore album Rainbow by Kesha, Praying Praying.
Speaker 2: I'm that note.
Speaker 1: That note will be remembered. We'll be remembered.
Speaker 2: Maybe not reproduced. I don't think I ever reproduced, but we love Kesha, but it was certainly produced. It was certainly produced. Lust for Life Lenald Delray, Oh, this was an interesting there's some okay, So these were number one hits. Desposito sixteen weeks in number one one.
Speaker 1: That's insane. Shape of you? Can I tell you something?
Speaker 2: I fox with shape of you?
Speaker 1: I mean love with the same of you. Depends on the mood. I'm always in the mood.
Speaker 2: Okay. It's not single soon, but you know rock Star by Post Malone, Bodak, Yellow Bike.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about body Card to b that was huge.
Speaker 2: I go to dinner and steak. Only the real can relate. I'm sorry, but I'm leaving the podcast, I go to dinner and steak. Only the reel can relate. If you're eating a steak dinner, you're real. You ate you're If you go to dinner and steak, you're the real one.
Speaker 1: Only the real can relate. If you go to dinner and steak, you're eating dinner.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: This is well? I mean a star making thing in a way that we will look back on. Card more fun Now.
Speaker 2: This is well? Well, I do love, be careful, careful of me. I do love be careful, But Bodak Yellow is up there for me. I mean this is a legendary. This is like a signature forever track. Yeah, And she says, to this day, she's like she was asked, what's your favorite songs to performance? She's like, the way people act during bodac Yellow makes me so happy. The way people act when it's played out of space, people are at a frenzy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I lose control? What else? Look what you made me do?
Speaker 2: Three Weeks and Number one Perfect by Ed Sheeran and Beyonce, Starboy by the Weekend, Humble by Kendrick Lamar And That's what I Like by Bruna Mars an interesting year moving into television. Emmy for Outstating Drama, The Handmaid's Tale first streaming show to win Outstating Drama. I watched a lot of the first season of Handmaid's Tale was one of the most devastating periods of I think my life sitting for any minute of that show.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: But Elizabeth Moss talented.
Speaker 1: Girl, talent hallented girl. Emmy for out Stating Comedy Veep third consecutive year. Absolutely May for Outstanding Limited Series Big Little Lies.
Speaker 2: We all remember where we were that finale of Big Little Lives. You came over to my apartment with Dave. Oh my god, we watched it. We were to say we were entertained, satiated, moved, floored, renewed. Oh when those women came together to push Alexander Scar's guard down the steps.
Speaker 1: When Zoe pushed absolutely give her the credit. Give her the credit.
Speaker 2: She really put her foot down and said, I'm putting my weight behind behind me, and my weight is in the pussy. Honestly, Nicole. One of her best performances I Robin Wigert, one of her best Robin Wigert, Laura d to do Last Jedi end Big Little Lies she destroyed this year.
Speaker 1: That was the Diurnaissance. That was definitely the beginning of dinaissance that culminated in the Oscar.
Speaker 2: I also think this was huge for Oh yeah, this made Reese like like she always was, But like, I love this reach with this performance because I think there's something so true about it. Yes, like I think there's something so I love when she plays a little vicious, yes, like it's election.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: And this is why you need to shut up when you say that she shouldn't have been in Gone Girl. I'm not over you guys doing this to me.
Speaker 1: We need to stop talking about Gone Girl.
Speaker 2: No good.
Speaker 1: Nothing good starts in a Gone Girl conversation here, that's a tailor lyric. These girls are still mad that I fucking hate Rosamond Big Little Lies. You know I do. You don't hate ro hater.
Speaker 2: I'm just like she doesn't.
Speaker 1: I don't care, and we all have the right to not care about someone. Okay, Emmy for Outstanding TV Movie. Interesting that this was. I didn't realize it was position this way, but the Sandra Nuperry episode of Black Mirror wan Best TV Movie. Mm. Yeah, they singled down an episode of a season of Black Mirror.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, cause I think that that's how they categorize that as opposed to limited series. Yeah, because I think that the Black Mirror things are isolated. Oh I see, Ice. I think that's why it has the title San Junaparo is because it's an isolated It's like a black mirror of production, icee Ic. I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm well, I don't know whose who the fuck knows? This was I think also the year that streamers finally took home trophies MS. Yeah, like it started with like how's your House of Cards or Orangers and New Blacks. But this was the first year twenty seventeen where now it feels like so normal. But it's like this was the first year where Hollywood was like, oh, okay, I guess the Hulus and the Netflixes and these other things are and it was back then it was just maybe it was mainly those two, but it was like the first year Hollywood it was like, I guess we can like pump all this money and resources into the streaming shows we care about awards, which of course they do. Yeah, these can take home the gold.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, Girls, Air series finale Okay, so I couldn't find too many big premieres.
Speaker 2: Big mouth Glow, Feud, Betty and Joan. That's I guess relevant because there's finally a new season of Feud coming. I'm so excited, and the good fight began. Girls aired a series finale.
Speaker 1: What a moment.
Speaker 2: What a moment I mean, I think the penultimate episode of Girls is one of my favorite episodes of Girls.
Speaker 1: And then the series finale. I love the finale. I didn't like it. I loved the final shot. Sure of the latch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's actually really funny when you think about it's as a the final shot in the first shot. Yeah, yeah, I'm a growing girl, I'm a growing girt where she's she's eating.
Speaker 1: Wow. The final shot is the baby, I know. I guess like it was, you know what.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the swing. I was just like, ugh, I never want anyone moving to the suburbs. That's there is Like, I know, there's something so.
Speaker 1: Something, there's something unsettling about seeing Hannah and Marnie together in a house like all the way right outside the city, Like there's something that should be disorienting, the fact that Marnie never changes. I love Arnie is one of our great the characters.
Speaker 2: We've said at a million times, Marnie is such a true character from your twenties. Yes, that's awesome about that, Like Marnie is so that girl and she'll always be and you all and we all know a Marnie.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also the fact that they're like not friends at the end of their twenties is sad but also very true, you know what I mean, And it feels like they're only the real can relate. Yeah, Lena Euastick, you went to dinner in State and you went to dinner Stick. We talked about the deaths.
Speaker 1: Trump is inaugurated. He begins his first term with the travel Man horrible. This was the year of like of course, like first Army, you know, his staff turnovers really wild. This was the year that like Scaramouchi happened. I wrote down remember that whole thing.
Speaker 2: Honestly, there's been so much bullshit turnover with the scandals of Trump that I barely even remember Scar. Like these words are like buzzwords to me, Like Scarrawochi is like a buzzword to me.
Speaker 5: But I'm like, oh, it's just so oh triggering, and like yeah, like I can't believe Russian investigation, North Korea, US pulling out at the Paris Climate Agreement to find the rest of the year politically me too happens enters its full swing by the next year and the awards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was when I remember being on Twitter at this time, and well, it's interesting because I went through something in two thousand and nine that I didn't realize actually happened to me until twenty seventeen, because I remember I think this was the case with a lot of people, like seeing those stories shared like triggered something in me that like actually like awoke a memory. And so it's interesting again that we picked this year out because it's like two thousand and nine was when it happened and twenty seventeen because I had literally blacked it out and twenty seventeen is when it came back. And what triggered the memory was someone was saying in an account of being like trapped in a location with someone that they trusted. Yeah, and that was like, where have I heard that before? And then I realized that was my experience. Without getting into it too much, but I do also want to say because I think because this is something from this year.
Speaker 1: I think this is really important to say.
Speaker 2: Last night I landed back in New York and I was thinking about this episode because I was reading the document that you made and I saw this part of.
Speaker 1: It, and I literally even thought about, like I thought for.
Speaker 2: A second about like expanding on what I talked about for the two thousand and nine year and I realized how scared I was to even talk about it at the time now now, because I am so unsure that the person who was responsible for that would not like come after me in some way because they have Like I remember, yeah, I shared this on another podcast and it got back to the person and I had to name the person.
Speaker 1: I didn't go on about it, but right, so, why would they ever fucking feel like a victim in this situation?
Speaker 2: Well, they attacked me repeatedly over the phone online, And also I just want to say, like, if you have respect for me, and like you're not gonna like try to find it and unearth it like this podcast or whatever. Like I don't like I'm saying, it's like just like let's leave it alone. But what I think is really important is the fact that like years later, fifteen years later, I'm still unsure about and scared to even go there because you're thinking about that, because I'm thinking about retribution from someone who literally doesn't really matter, And so I want people to really think about that in context of how difficult it is for some of these people for anyone to come forward to expand on something like this, especially when there are still power dynamics that played, because I'm talking about something where there is no power dynamic at play. I'm talking about something where I don't even wish this person ill. I don't think they're a bad person. I think we were in a situation where boundaries were violated, and I think you're still protecting them, and because I'm afraid, because I don't want to deal with it. But what I want to say is that I think it's really important to acknowledge my fear in even getting into it, and say that that fear is so real for everyone, and it endures and it doesn't go away, and it takes a really long time to figure out how you feel about it, to even really confirm that it even happened. Because a big part of that realization and that trigger was me going back and forth with myself that can have happened, that can have happened. I have to be making it up.
Speaker 1: I have to be exaggerating it. I have to be wrong.
Speaker 2: I'm not wrong. I'm not exaggerating. It did happen, and it affected me for a really long time, and there is still an element of fear and discomfort and insecurity that comes with getting into it, because I still fear like retaliation, and I also fear honestly hurting that person. And I just want to put that out there as a thing that is a byproduct of this whole very important movement. Is that that insecurity and that like hesitancy to put yourself out there and get behind something like this, even if you were really really really changed and really hurt, still remains the same. So that's I guess the way I want to that's my pull when it comes to this topic coming up on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that was a very exposed moment in so many ways, but in terms of the nervous system, of the coctive nervous system was so raw, and.
Speaker 2: Prince Harry and Megan Mark got engaged that year, So that was amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh God, I means Charlottesville. Colin Kaepernick, who started kneeling in twenty sixteen, but then by twenty seventeen it was more quote unquote widely engaged with by other NFL players. It wasn't that many, and it was I mean, remember all that, like, this was a pretty hopeless year.
Speaker 2: This is a this is not a I remember the year ending, and it was one of those years where it was like, twenty eighteen, it's gonna be better, Oh, like it has to be.
Speaker 1: Oh god, this was a dark year. This is not a good year.
Speaker 2: But you know, in the positives, this was the year we did our first full year of Lost Culture. Yes, I know twenty sixteen was the first year, but it feels like twenty seventeen was kind of the first year because this is the when the podcast really got in full swing. We did our first I don't Think so Honey Live, which I think is when we realized we had something going.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, March twenty first, twenty seventeen, and that was like about the year anniversary of the podcast itself. Yeah, yes, a nice little marker there. We closed out the year with Cultu War.
Speaker 2: Which was an I don't Think So Honey competition where Bowen and I both had teams yes, I was the team of fire.
Speaker 1: You were the team of ice. Annie Donnelly came and said, look, I will never I left my body when Annie Donley was walked down the this.
Speaker 2: Like high drag. Look it was amazing. She and Michelle Collins had tension between them.
Speaker 1: The Cult War was won by Pat Reagan. Was this the birth of these young girls?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 1: That was podcast?
Speaker 2: These young girls? Was?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, honey live I did the first one of these young girls.
Speaker 2: Name was someone to he like pulled out. I was like, I booked. Oh my god, these young girls easy young.
Speaker 1: I forget what he did to win.
Speaker 2: But Pat Reagan was the winner of culture war, was the winner, and he's the winner of our hearts? Was it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, Rachel Pigrim one, wait no, rachelm I believe Pat Reagan won culture And we're not rewriting history. Pat Reagan did when cultu war. Yes, you read Rachel Peagrim's fantastic comedian Francisco clusterst Yes, Oh my god. Wow remember the era of competitive I don't think so hard, but this has taught me a valuable lesson that I still haven't forgotten to this day. Like competition frameworks really upset people.
Speaker 1: M hmm. They're really emotional. People get truly hurt for a good reason if they lose something. Even though you think that the tone of it is frivolous and fun and like it's we're not taking it too seriously. No, if there's any element of competitiveness, it is devastating. If you're not, I'll.
Speaker 2: Never forget some of the faces of the people that lost, like, yeah, it did not feel good.
Speaker 1: It did not feel good. I don't want to recreate that. Never again.
Speaker 2: They're never again doing something competitive ever ever, except for dueling star shows star Starfall Racer, Starfall Racer, but that will be a scripted feature film.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm gonna pitch it. I have a movie idea, but not not for Starfall Racers. Well, don't say it on Mike thought' steal it. No, I know I have a new idea. Our producer beck and just nodded, like to ourself. She was like, yeah, I shouldn't say it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, So that is twenty seventeen. So yeah, not excavated. Excavated? Am I did I? You did amazing? No, but I'm saying, did I fuck this? From the get go in terms of like the attitude of the year. This was a no, this was a ranscid year. This was not a good year. But there were cultural high points that we remember fondly.
Speaker 1: But I think the only high point I remember fondly besides, like even the art was dark. Last Jedi reputation, right, But I'm like Ladybird love Phantom Thread, love love love love. Reputation was the redeeming. Reputation was the thing that saved us me at least. So there's that Zo, don't blame me alone.
Speaker 2: May be crazy if it doesn't you Jo when it ride, it's time. Oh by the way, Okay, So I did not travel with the Goblet of Cultural Years because it's too heavy. It's a real goblet. There's a nasty rumor out there that it's an ice bucket. It's actually a centuries old, thousand pound goblet that has been in my apartment for centuries, and it had the years written into it. It actually already had them for a century. And so before I left, I did pick a year out of the bowl. And I haven't told my sister what it is. I am ready to reveal at this time that not next week. With the week after because we have a guest next week. The year we will cultural excavate is oh my god, Oh my god, nineteen ninety three, nineteen ninety three, Jurassic Park.
Speaker 1: Yes, Eastlet New Blar, going to Eastland, New Blar. Wow, that is coming up.
Speaker 2: That is a good year. It's a really good leader and this and not too much personal experience to drat them because we were but toddlers. Well, I have some things we could expand on some of my first memories to begin to absolutely.
Speaker 1: Remember where we were. Kind of okay, so it's time for I don't think so, honey. This is our segment where we take one minute to really get something in culture. Do you have something, mat? Oh? Yeah, okay, this is Matt Rodgers. I don't think so many as time starts.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, honey. People who criticize Taylor Swift for the carbon emissions of her private jet, I want you to really think this through. So what do you want her to fly commercial? Do you want Taylor Swift to show up at the airport on the day where you're traveling. I don't think so, honey, that you do, because that would be a safety issue for her and for all, we have not created a society that is responsible enough or safe enough for her to what fly commercial? You think that she can sit in Delta one, everyone past her and it be a safe atmosphere. She has to fly private, y'all, so that she can help the economy in such a way. And before you get into it about ah, they're a second fash. She never does anything wrong. Shut the fuck up, think about think one step ahead of your argument. Yes, it's funny to point to the sky and see a plane and say, ooh, Taylor Swift. Make your jokes, but don't actually drag her for flying private because you don't want to fly in commercial.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, honey. That's one minute. The thing about carbon emissions from private planes is that overall the footprint, while not negligible, is also like not big enough for people to get too riled up about. Well, that's not what happens.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, because they do get riled No, of course, I'm saying like there are unwarranted There are climate scientists who have come out and been like, it's not the thing to be mad about. It's bad, it's not great, but it's not the thing that like it's not a thing to necessarily crucify, not that we're doing that, not that anyone's doing that, but it's like there are huger fish to fry.
Speaker 1: What would happen if she showed up to Delta? What would happen if you were at Hudson News buying a pack of gum and thousands of people fucking descended on the magazine rap because Taylor wanted to pick up a copy of US Weekly? Would she's wont to do? You would hate your fucking life. You would say, get on the PJ. I don't go to Turturbuo.
Speaker 2: I don't want this. And even if she were to like buy out a plane, it would be a problem, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like there is literally no winning in the situation.
Speaker 2: I get it, Like when a celebrity is in a certain place, like and they're really high, it's the instinct to want to tear them down and find something. This can't really be the thing because she has to travel, and she has to do it in a way that's gonna be like sustainable and safe for not just her but everyone. And you see the fervor and the fandom around her to the point where like she cannot live a normal life, so how is she supposed to travel in a normal fashion? It just doesn't make any sense. And the reason I say this is because there's all this hell of balloo about is she gonna travel back from Tokyo to go to the super Bowl, which, yeah, she is.
Speaker 1: She's not gonna miss the super Bowl. I really don't think she's Travis's good luck term.
Speaker 2: And someone was like, well, that jet's gonna be jetting, and I'm like, yet it is because she can't get on a plane like you and I. There's no direct flight from Tokyo to Vegas. Okay, can you imagine tailor stuff's in a commercial layover? I mean, yeah, Tokyo to lax To to Vegas, tail her stuff. I'm the Lax to Vegas. You are making me laugh. You are making me laugh thinking about Taylor Swift on the Lax to Vegas.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's funny. I'm laughing.
Speaker 2: I'm laughing.
Speaker 1: I just think it's so silly.
Speaker 2: It's just like, Wow, we're so excited to get a tweet out there, We're so excited to post a story that we don't even really realize how dumb we sound. Like if she were to show up at the airport, it would be pandemoniusa.
Speaker 1: For me, it just comes down to, like, I'm gonna defer to the experts, and the experts are saying it's not the thing. Yes it's there's a footprint, but it's not the giant fucking big Foot album cover. Sorry to bring it up again, It's not like that level. Yeah, you know. I just think it's just funny the way that people work themselves up and like get so.
Speaker 2: Excited to have something to say, and meanwhile it's like, yeah, but if you use a critical thinking, if you use critical thinking for even two seconds, you can get to this next conclusion. What do you want not Matt invoking critical thinking. I'm telling you I should really be an ap comp again. Missus Marr would be like, I just think he went to dinner in steak. He went to dinner in stake. This is not I'm not calling my sister out because you never do this, you rarely do this.
Speaker 1: But red giant, red flag when someone oh, because Anna Marie does this calls them identify so strongly as a critical thinker in an argument. Oh yeah, Like, don't say that. You don't have to fucking say that. Well, she's literally not. It's just embarrassing.
Speaker 2: She's she's full fucking flop. I just actually talked to a medical professional the other day, like an actual doctor, uh huh, And I was like, are you up on the Anna Marie stuff on Beverly Hills And she was like, oh yeah, it's so humiliating. She's like because the thing a like anesthesiologist and CRNA is like that there is real tension there.
Speaker 1: Ure she's so attached to this identity and she's weaponizing it against someone's like actual, actual medical condition, actual medical condition, and she's like truly gaslighting Crystal in a lot of instances and being fucking menacing. I'm just like, girl, lay off, you're not coming back.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, we have a very close friend who literally has what Sutton has and it is a real thing and it is not diet related, it is not lifestyle related.
Speaker 1: It is a thing that is.
Speaker 2: It's just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And and Nicole Martin in the best way where it's like to stoop to that level as a medical professional is so fucking crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, what I hated about Beverly Hills this last episode was Crystal's going for Anna Marie and going FORO Marie and going for Ana Marie, and then like nearly dies on a mountain, and now she's at her mercy.
Speaker 1: And it's like Crystal cannot catch a fucking break, she cannot.
Speaker 2: Catch a fucking brick because at the end of the day, like even if she is right about this whole thing, she went and almost died on the mountain. And then now she's like at her mercy, like holding her hand in the car like, and Anna Maria.
Speaker 1: Gets to look like the hero in this situation. There's a kind of poetry to it.
Speaker 2: Well, the valor is.
Speaker 1: Not stolen, but it is like miss misbegotten. That's all. It's just funny.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have are you ready?
Speaker 1: I do so.
Speaker 2: I'm so thrilled because this is Bowen Yang's I don't think so, honey. And let me tell you something. His time starts now, I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 1: Let's leave Martin Short Meryl Streep alone and let them enjoy their lives. Let's not probe too much about what it is, what the nature of it is. I think these are two people who, if they are romantically linked, deserve each other they are two of our great American treasures, and I think we should just let them be. They have both suffered loss, and they have both gone through deep, deep romantic tumult, and I think they should. They deserve each other and let's leave them alone. There's a lot of rumors flying. I think we should just let them. If they're fucking, let them fuck. If they're being friends, let them be friends. We're kind of trying to excavate something a little too aggressively, and I think that's okay. We can't blame ourselves for that. But we also have to leave them alone. These are really, really beautiful people. We love their work so much. We have an emotion parasocial connection to them. But we have to leave it alone. We have to let them be them.
Speaker 2: And that's why I'm you really left them alone there. I know I'm being ironically, I know I'm a slaved when you left them alone just there.
Speaker 1: This is the only thing I'll say. I know I'm not leaving them alone by bringing this up, but I'm saying, let's let them be. They're so obviously together. Two.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because it's like, no, we're just we just are just very good friends and it's like, yeah, that's what you say, but that's fine, let's leave Let's.
Speaker 1: Leave it at that. I love it.
Speaker 2: I think that is confirmation enough. Love it, love it for them whatever. It is, very good friends, fuck buddies. But if they had released the statement that were like, we are not together, but we are fuck buddies, I would say on Tuesday nights, we watched vander Pump and we fuck, I would be so happy. Here's the truth and this is a joint statement. Meryl Streve and Martin Short have been friends for years. During the production of Only Murders Season three, they decided to become fuck Buddies and vander Pump.
Speaker 1: Rules co viewers all viewers.
Speaker 2: Meryl has a huge television as you can imagine, she's an empty nester.
Speaker 1: The kids are grown Mary and on the Gilded Age.
Speaker 2: So Marty comes over and they have sex in two to three positions for fifteen to twenty minutes. They are FWB's and some of the bees are vander Pump. They do this before vander Pump. So they fuck order Goop Kitchen and they watched vander Pump Rules. Post nut clarity.
Speaker 1: They're watching vander Pump rules and having the right takes because they are what empty mind shit, They're on their empty mind shit.
Speaker 2: They both get the Kariokee bully and are excited about La La Kent's journey this season every season Team Marianna.
Speaker 1: Of course, they're gonna see her in Chicago. They're gonna see her in Chicago. And guess what. They never liked sandal Ball.
Speaker 2: They were always on the right side. They were always on the right side. They always called her a Rachel, they always damed her.
Speaker 1: Was this one of the best episodes? This was one of the best episodes. Becca is literally waving.
Speaker 2: She just went like this, Becca, just telling you this. Yeah she did it, but she did something else. She's really excited about the quality of this episode.
Speaker 1: As am I.
Speaker 2: If you think we weren't being real on this episode, you you must be fooling. You're a trader.
Speaker 1: You're a trader.
Speaker 2: You're a fucking trader. Now you're a fucking trader. You're the biggest fucking trader here. Now you're a trader. Bitch, Santra versus Janelley table. Can we play this very important cameo that you dug out.
Speaker 1: From years ago?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I wanted to congratulate Bowen on getting cast on Saturday Night Live years ago and at the time, Sandra Diaz Twine was on Cameo Baby, and this is going to be played in lieu.
Speaker 1: Of the song this week. Yes, we end every episode with a song, but not this week.
Speaker 4: Hey Bowen, it's your girl, Sassy, Sandra the Queen, and this shout out is for you from Matt. He wanted me to put a smile.
Speaker 2: On your face today.
Speaker 4: Brighten up your speirarits actually you guys put a smile on my face and brightened up my Thank you so much for being huge survivor fan, and Bowen, thank you for having faith in me, cheering me on esk for me every single time that I've p especially during winners at War. You know, it wasn't easy to go out there after idols of the idols, you know, I had to spend thirty six.
Speaker 2: Days already in Fiji, and then my.
Speaker 4: Twenty four foot total was still out there.
Speaker 1: For allers to see.
Speaker 2: They were not amused.
Speaker 4: My target was already big, you know, like I had the biggest target on my back being that I was the only two time winner.
Speaker 1: And then the totem did not, but it is what it is.
Speaker 4: But Bowen, Matt, thank you guys for being there for Survival week after week, season after season, year after year. Bow and I especially want to congratulate you on being a cast member of Saturday Night Live and of course for completing your first season. And I'm sure your legacy on Saturday Night Live will be like mine on Survivor right now seventeen years later, to still be a part of the show.
Speaker 1: And that's what I wish for you.
Speaker 4: That you will be there season after season and year after year so.
Speaker 1: That we can all watch you at work.
Speaker 4: And you, guys, take care of yourselves, Okay, Queen stays Queen Adios, Bye bye,