Speaker 1: Still broadcasting from the Civic Cipher Studios. This is the QR code where we share perspective, seek understanding, and shape outcomes. I am Rams's job. I am Qward and in this half of the show, we want you to stick around because we got more to share with you. First up, we are going to be hearing from Qward, or specifically Qward's clapback. He mentioned something about a cross section of people that need to get clapped at, and so I won't go any more detail because we had some fun with that earlier. See you laughing over there, but trust me, we're gonna have something over that. We're also gonna be talking about the judge that was arrested for kind of standing up for, you know, immigrants that were being chased down by ice, and we think that's a story that is worth sharing with everyone. We're also gonna take a little bit of time to discuss Ryan Coogler and the film Centers. It's just a fantastic cultural moment and for those that are not familiar with that, hopefully we can give you some some motivation to check that out. But for now, it is time for two words clap back. What you got for us?
Speaker 2: So very interesting that we're going to be talking about Centers here in a minute, because I've noticed a trend on social media over the last week as Centers is being just critically acclaimed, not just critically acclaimed, but ringing it up at the box office as well. I think it had the lowest drop off from opening week in the history of cinema, a less than ten percent drop off from opening week, and the movie's made close to two hundred million dollars already as we as we get further into its release, I was able to see it on Imax, which it was shot in Imax cameras. There's a Marvel movie coming up or coming out this week, and I believe or coming out soon that's going to push it out of my out of Imax. But the movie has been so successful some theaters have decided that the Marvel movie gonna have to wait because Centers is doing its thing. But the thing that I've noticed that it's so disheartening, and it's us. I guess, our people. Our contrarianism is just growing by the day, and I'm seeing Black people go out of their way to talk about how mid or average or not that great. This movie is and I know it's not because they don't think it's great. I think some of them haven't even seen it. It's just that, well, everybody's saying it's great. So the way that I can flex and get some likes and some attention and look like the smart guy in the room is if I just take the contrarian position. And that's become the case not just with sinners, but with the shape of the Earth that the flat earthers haven't done any scientific research to prove their point. It's just a bold contrarian position to take to declare yourself freethinking. But the then diagram is what has become so interesting to me because the most recent time I saw somebody declare Centers a mid movie that wasn't all that great, funny the movie they compared it to that that it You know, people are acting like this movie is the Godfather or something. Well, how come the Godfather gets to be the greatest movie ever? Is it because it was old? Or is it because the director and the protagonists and all the characters don't look like you? And you can accept that something made by us, that looks like us, that's made for us could be the best. So I start scrolling backwards and I noticed a very interesting cross section. What you're going to say, Please, I'd love to hear where you think. I'm going.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I don't want to jump in front of you, and far be it for me to stay another man's brief. But how about this, because you're talking about contrary and now I do a lot of work with you. But I bet you're going to say that the person that has an issue with Sinners is the same person that took an issue with Kendrick. Is the same person that at Kendrick had the Super Bowls. The same person that took an issue with Kamala Harris when she was running for president is the same person that we find that these different points in society when you know we're having a cultural moment and they are like continually the dissenters.
Speaker 2: There's a scary thing that happens when you work with someone so closely for this long that it is that they read your mind. But it's not a singular person. It's people. It's all of the people. I'm going to say, all of those things that you just said are the same person. Right, Kamala's messaging wasn't good enough apologizing for Maga Kendrick. Wasn't that good? Drake won the battle? The earth is flat. It's like, wow, this super Bowl performance was the worst I'd ever seen. Sinners isn't that good of a movie. It's it's like contrarian and anti us, and it sucks because it's us, all the people that we just named, it's black people, young black people.
Speaker 3: Let me.
Speaker 1: I want to I want to add something here, this experience. I think it's important that this is that we're sharing this right now because this is something that I don't I don't experience this when I'm on social media. I'm on social media for a very different reason. And you are just a popular person in general, like everybody wants to be your friend. I know you're like magical dude. And I go on social media and I think I'm in a group chat with you and like my family, and so you have like more I guess, more interactions with people, and I think that you're more of like the lightning rod when it comes to our programming.
Speaker 2: Which is an interesting thing that happens. I don't really interact with people at all. I just read a lot of stories, like if somebody followed us or me on social media, I am q Ward on all socials. They'll notice you've posted three times in the last year, six times in the last two years, nine times in the last three years. I don't post a lot. I share a lot of stories, though, Okay, so I'm unfortunately, because of what we do, very very tuned into what's going on in the world and what's going on in this country. That does not always just involve politics, which we cover, you know, very very often, but you know, popular culture in general, music and you know, civic engagement and entertainment and sports are also topics that come across our desk and that come through my feed, and you know, the algorithm understands that those are things that I'm interested in, so I see them all the time. I see those stories, I share those stories. I don't do a lot of interacting with those people. I would drive myself crazy messaging that person back that said this movie that I've now seen twice wasn't that good. But you're observing. But I'm observing the behavior. And like I said, I as soon as I read it, I felt it. Let me scroll back. Like I scrolled back, I didn't scroll back to do research or to investigate. I knew I would find what I was looking for. I knew I just had to scroll far enough. And luckily Kendrick's on tour right now. So the same people that are saying centers aren't that good, or the same people saying that all those fifty thousand people that are at that show are bots, it's the same people, or that they used AI when we were going to the least during the during the campaign, that they used AI to make those places look for We're like, no, we're here, it's not AI. It's these are people, you know, and and that's and those type of people will will move the gold posts and they can't just be wrong and they can't just be contrarian for contrarian's sake, so they end up spiraling down these rabbit holes of conspiracy theory and nonsense. And let me ask you something.
Speaker 1: Please, do you because I've heard you mentioned a couple of times that it's us meaning like black people. Yes, do you think it could be Russian bots? Because I looked into that and those things are so sophisticated.
Speaker 2: No, because I'm not just talking about profile list accounts. I'm talking about personalities, like I'm looking at videos of black people, some of them famous, talking like it's actual opinions from actual.
Speaker 1: People, and it's just to get on people's nerves. The one thing that I think people they don't.
Speaker 2: Assume that it's just to get on people's ned I think they believe themselves, but I know the reason they arrived at where they are is contrarian with no foundation.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for that. Clapback forward, Tom anymore. All right, now, let's have some dialogue. Let's talk about the judge that was arrested for standing up for immigrants. Now, for those that are not familiar with the story, I'm gonna pay a little bit of pictures. This comes from the La Times. The flurry of immigration enforcement at courthouses around the country in the last month, already heavily criticized by judicial officials and lawyers, has renewed a legal bottle from President Trump's first term, as advocates feer people might avoid coming to court. It's drawing further attention with last Friday's arrest of judge Hannah Dugan in Wisconsin. The FBI arrested Dugan on suspicion that she taught she tried sorry to help a defendant evade waiting federal agents by letting him leave her courtroom through a jury door.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: Some of these judges think they are beyond and above the law, and they are not. And we're sending a very strong message today, Attorney General Pam Bondi said during an appearance on Fox News after the arrest. So I guess I'll share some thoughts before you kind of jump in here. But I kind of thought that judges were the people that interpreted the law. So I don't know that it's as much a matter of judges thinking that they're above the law. But you know, judges have their place. But here's something that I found recently. There's half of the country that is turning a blind eye to this sort of thing, right and the reason. And I wish I had the article because the article could say it better than I'm about to say it. But and of course there's no like hard numbers to go with this. But if you hear me, I think that you'll feel the truth in this statement. And if not, if you're listening, you know, please feel free to disagree. You can find me on all social media at Rams's job. But the people that voted for Donald Trump second time or a third time, those triple Trumpers. Right, These people do not care about law and order if it does not if it prevents them from getting or forgets prevents us from getting to the version of the country that they want. They don't care that Donald Trump is not a normal politician. They don't care that he does some evil things. They don't care that Republicans do some things that objectively would would would be considered evil. They think that Jesus Christ would be in line at a polling station in front of the klu klux klansmen and behind the Nazi standing in line to all collectively go vote for Donald Trump. Right, This is the reality for them. They don't care that that Trump is breaking rules and cutting through that doesn't.
Speaker 2: We can we can we say breaking laws?
Speaker 1: Breaking laws?
Speaker 2: That's breaking rules sound so benign and not serious.
Speaker 1: Thank you for coming break your laws, right, But they love the fact that that now that they feel like he's above the law, that he is the law. That's probably the best way to say it. And so there's half of the country that will look at this and say, yeah, of course, arrest the judge ice is there to do what they're you know, what I mean, and while we are this is kind of these are like the embers that kind of start sort of civil war stuff. Man. And I don't think that. I think that maybe like half of the country doesn't realize that the rules are for all of us all the time, that that that this this country was framed in such a way that it could thrive in perpetuity because this country had learned from the societies before it and how those societies had collapsed. And we're at four hundred or so years into this American experiment. And I think that people think that while they're up right now, those on the right, in particular far right I'll say far right, while they're up right now, for them to turn a blind eye to the constitution and the framework of this society, I think that's shooting themselves in the foot. We are not old enough to just swing in one direction and have it be all good. There are countries that are a lot older than the United States. China is bragging right now that they are not sitting down at a negotiating table with Donald Trump to negotiate the terroriffts they're bragging, they're like China's been here for five thousand years will be fine. That's really what they're on right. So for the people that look at this like, oh, this is fine. They're arresting judges. Now, No, this is crazy. This should not be happening. And there were a lot of steps that people turned to blind eye to before we got to this point. At no point should this happen this, this should have been litigated long before, and indeed it was. But what we're seeing is a regime effectively ignoring lawful orders from the courts of the land. And it's been politics as usual until today. And if there are people that rise up against this, it's not we the people, it's really just one half of the country, because the other half is looking at us like, yeah, we're finally getting our country back. Trump's in, They're finally getting rid of all these illegals, and no, Trump is putting on a show. And yes, there are some people who are not technically here legally yet, but if you're deporting you know, one hundred thousand people, and seven hundred and fifty thousand of them have never committed a crime, then they're not illegal criminals. If you're deporting people just.
Speaker 2: Seventy five thousand, I think you mean five thousand.
Speaker 1: That's what I meant to that. Yeah, and and and again these numbers, I want to make sure that I stated as clearly as I can these numbers. I haven't yet to verify them, but they come from trusted sources.
Speaker 2: So we we tend to try not to get bogged down with semantics. And it's not to be inaccurate, it's to we're making a point that whether or not the numbers, it's not specific to the to the numbers, the exact number. And I also don't want us to veer into illegals. They're deporting citizens. Yeah, that too, I was getting there, Like let's let's let's I mean, let's cut across the grass though, like because they can try to soundly make an argument that illegal should be deported either way, the way that they're doing it is illegal. And how dare this judge want there to be due process before you just arrest, attain and deport someone? Like, how dare a judge think that you should follow the law? Oh my god? Right, So they're the they're the party of law and order until it comes time for them to break the law.
Speaker 1: Said it best right there.
Speaker 2: Until it comes time for them to break the law. We need to say it with those words. Though. They're the party of law and order and back the Blue and all that nonsense until it's time for them to break the law, and then they're anti American, anti law enforcement, anti due process, anti constitution, and anti judge.
Speaker 1: That's when they start looking at the same judge.
Speaker 2: The back to blue all lives matter people are the same get out of my country, go to some prison in a foreign country with no due process, arrest judges. The same people that were anti defund the police became defund the FBI when it wasn't in their best interest to let us break the law whenever we feel like it, because we're right and it's our country and it's only our country.
Speaker 3: You go.
Speaker 2: So it is a really, really disgusting time. And you said the words civil war. Once upon a time that could happen. The United States military is the muscle of the President of the United States. We can't start a civil war against them, like they can't happen anymore. It's no longer a possibility. You know, we can march in the streets. But if every American with every gun they had took to arms against the United States military be a very short fight. So the idea of civil war is no longer a realistic idea. I don't know what we're supposed to do now, you guys, let Donald Trump become the president again, and he told you he was going to do everything that he's doing, or I'm sorry they published everything that he was going to do, and then he threw up his hands and say, hey, I don't know what that is. I mean, of course, all those people that wrote for me and were appointed by me, but ha, come see, kumsah, why would you think that that had anything to do with me? Until day one? Okay, let's run it. And now we are watching the entire world become a far less safe place because of what we allowed to happen here in November. It is a really disgusting and dangerous and scary place for us to be, and most of us, I'm certain still don't realize that yet. Yeah, because there's a lot of going on about our day, like we always have happening, And I'm looking around sometimes like, am I the only one that's reading all of this stuff? Am I the only person that realizes all of this is happening?
Speaker 1: There's a stunning silence across the land. But you know one person that is still active, or was still active until she was arrested. It was Judge Hannah Dugan in Wisconsin. She did what was in her power, what she felt was right. And you know, that is the sort of thing that you're supposed to do. You're supposed to resist. This country was birthed from resistance, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You guys may have read about the Boston tea party. Yeah, that happened because of tariffs on tea.
Speaker 1: Just that all right, Well, for the last segment, we're gonna shift over to some entertainment news. Ryan Coogler. He's having a heck of a run. You know, his his one of his partners, I'll say, uh, Chadwick Boseman passed away. And that was you know, for those that are listening that aren't black, I'm sure you know, because you wouldn't be listening to us if you didn't know. But you you probably know that that was a loss that we all felt. Black black people across the board, we felt that that felt special. He was kind of our superhero. And you know, there's a couple of times when I cried. I cried for Nipsey hustle, you know I did. I'm from Compton, so that was you know, you know, southern California, that lifestyle. That just felt like we shouldn't have lost him. And you know Chadwick, that was another one where it's like, you know, Kobe, you know, Kobe was another one where it's like, that doesn't feel great to lose someone that you looked up to. And so for Ryan Coogler to then take take that moment, turn it into Black Panther two, you know, pay homage to UH, to Chadwick, and continue to honor him, but also continue to showcase his excellence. I think that this is all of these things culminate in this moment. Add to it that the movie centers it has some sort of special deal with the movie studio where the rights to the movie revert back to him. And then I've also heard that there's going to be a cinematic universe for Sinners too, And so this feels special. This feels on par with like the Tyler Perry's and like the building of an empire, which it doesn't happen very often for us, and so we love the idea of celebrating this. So when I share this I want you to understand that this part of the show, we're sharing it in that context. Okay, all right, So I'm gonna share from Variety this year the Oscar season. Prayer has a name and its Sinners. With Sinners, writer director Ryan Kugler, one of Hollywood's most quietly seismic forces, steps into a genre long neglected by the Academy and once again reshapes the game. A slow burned psychological horror film, Sinners is not just a pivot for Kugler. Rather, it's a proclamation. For more than a decade, Kugler has been Hollywood's quiet revolutionary symbolizing for the black community, a figure akin to our very own Christopher Nolan. From chronicling the final hours of Oscar Grant's life in Fruitvale Station, to reviving the Rocky franchise with Creed, to breaking barriers with the cultural juggernaut Black Panther, Kugler fuses personal and political story telling with mass appeal. Like a few others, Now I want to share something. This is in his own words, and this is just him talking about Chadwick again for folks that aren't familiar to just bringing you up to speed.
Speaker 3: But if I hadn't gotten started when I did and graduated film score at twenty four and Mary Fruville at twenty five and make Creed and Black Panther around time being thirty. All these things were like Domino's for me. And if I hadn't gotten that start, I never would have met Chad Who's time with Solemnity.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that was him getting emotional there. But it gives you an idea of one of the things that I'll say. I'll just go ahead and say it. I love the fact that he is authentically himself, right, he has not had to dress it up anymore. And we're talking about the way that he talks. He's from the Bay Area and that's who he is. Oaktown, Oaktown, right. For a lot of people to hear him speak, I think that there's this idea, and it's across the board of all races, of all walks of life, all socioeconomic backgrounds, there's this idea I'm sure that exists that when you hear him speak, you would not imagine that he's capable of the complex.
Speaker 2: Brilliant.
Speaker 1: H execution of storytelling, of creating a creating a series of films.
Speaker 2: Who wouldn't imagine, well, a lot of Detroit Mission, a lot of people right from Compton, California. No, No, I know, I know, absolutely imagine that that brother is from the Bay, from east here, from our cousins. Now.
Speaker 1: But the point I'm making, the point I'm making capable of complex, brilliant Flip this table over, I got you, I got you, I got you. Hear me out, hear me out, watch this. So there's a lot of people that might hear him talking. There's a lot of people that will hear me and you talking just how we talk and feel like, oh, I need to stay away from those guys, and would not imagine that we are syndicated on one hundred and fifty radio stations across the country and the words that we share with each other actually that, you know, our part and parcel to the empire that we've managed to build somehow. And so this is why I really wanted to have him speak in his own voice, uh and kind of share a little bit of insight into who this person is, because I think that for this part of the story, at least, the one thing that I wanted to share with people is that you never know what you're condemning. You never know what you're fearing. You never know what you're you know, trying to get away from. You never know what you're suppressing. You never know what you're discriminating. Again, and how capable and how brilliant the mind might be. You know things that things like like accents, A lot of times those are regional, they're cultural, and in no way reflects a person's cognitive abilities. This is a lesson I learned a long time ago because I said something in a conversation once to a woman. This is an older white woman. I was a teenager when I said it, but I was talking about a person who had like kind of a thick like country accent, right, And I was like, oh man, they talk like they're stupid, they talk like they're unintelligent. I said this right that I was a child, okay, And she said, no, Ramses, they're not unintelligent, they're just Southern.
Speaker 2: And she said it just like that, and it.
Speaker 1: Was just like a switch, right. And so I'm trying to help create that moment for people that may not be familiar with you know who Ryan Coogler is now as far as the film. You've seen the film, so you know, talk to us a little bit about the film.
Speaker 2: I've seen the film twice, and I don't like talking about it because I like for people to be as surprised by the rich cultural weaving that he does with the storytelling in the visuals, Like it's a tapestry, man. It is a rich tapestry, and it's so colorful, it's so cinematic, and it's so black. It's based in the Mississippi Delta during the sharecropping of the nineteen twenties and thirties. It's a really really powerful thing going on where these brothers from Chicago come back home to Mississippi and just and tap back into their roots and where they're from, and their reputation precedes them. But you know, a black original ip horror. I don't even want to say the next work. Some people might know and I want them to be shocked. So I'm just gonna bite my tongue on that one. It catches you off Guarden the best ways. It's so created, it's so different, it's so brilliant, and what Cougler has been able to do because he's had so much success, He's done over two billion dollars at the box office already. I think he's thirty something years old and he was able to negotiate that deal that you mentioned were and I think twenty years or twenty five years, the rights and the masters come back to him and his which doesn't happen. And he wouldn't have been able to do that on prior stories because he's telling someone else's stories IP that already exists with Marvel, a story that already happened with Fruitville, an actual bio story, and create so with Creed from the Rockies, you know universe, this being his original IP. He not only negotiated to get his the rights and the master's back, but first dollar gross, which never happens. From the very first dollar the movie makes. He gets his percentage, not after the studio makes their money back, not after marketing costs, the front run up front, from the first dollar made.
Speaker 1: I need mine right now in the mighty name. All right, let me ask you something. I think you're gonna love this question. Do you think that Ryan Kugler creates films in the way that Kendrick Lamar creates music.
Speaker 2: I'll do you one better. Ryan Cooler created a film and Kendrick Lamar created the music for the film. It's called Black Panther.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should check it out, right, You're right, So, okay, I love that, But you know where I was going with that For folks that aren't familiar. You know, Q and I we've had lots of conversations about Compton Kendrick and you know, there's there's rapping and then there's what Kendrick does and it's very complicated and there's always something new to discover. And I think that you can find that same type of rewatchability, revisitability, if you will, with Ryan Kugler's films, where you go back and you're like all these neat little gems and then you have fun to discussing it. So really excited about that. But that's it for us. That's our time. So thank you for tuning in to us here on the QR Code. I've been your host, Ramsey's job.
Speaker 2: He is always Ramsy's job. I try to always be q Ward. You know, some days I ain't up to it. Yeah, you know, but we make up the Q and the R of the QR Code. Be sure to follow us on all social media. You can find me on all platforms. Again at Ramsey's job, I am q Ward on all social media as well, and if you would like to download this episode, you can do that. You can also download some of our other content. Just check us out search Civic Cipher that C I B I C c I P h e R.
Speaker 1: Be sure to check us out tomorrow because we will be back doing it for you one more again, and make sure you tell your friends about us. Please that too, please, But yeah, check us out tomorrow. We're doing it again and hopefully we'll have some more fun. And until then, y'all peace, peace,