Speaker 1: What is up Dolphins, and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield, and on today's show, the combine is in the books. We're going to recap what happened on the field with the workouts and the prospects that jumped off the tape to me on the defensive side of the football. Today, plus my friend Emery Hunt, who is a UDFA and sleeper Whiz, drops by the show and talk about all things Dolphins draft, late round picks, possible matches. There from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast. Ye hey guys, So first time back with you here. That wasn't a pre taped interview or talking from the floor in Indianapolis. I am back in beautiful South Florida talking to you guys about these scouting combined workouts that I just finished watching over the weekend. And before I get into my defensive notes and then our chat with Emery Hunt today, I wanted to just kind of explain how I've come to this conclusion that the Dolphins are in a really good spot with the thirteenth pick in this year's draft. And I say that because well, we'll go into this thing and with the tront Armstead money, with what I expect to happen with some type of restructures and finagling of the salary cap, the Dolphins are going to find a way to be responsibly flexible this year in free agency, and I think you're going to see them sign a couple of offensive linemen. I think you're going to see them pursue a kind of chess piece safety aggressively in free agency and try to round out some holes that way so they can do what they always love to do every year in April and be flexible to take the best players available. But when you look at the current construction of the roster, and if you guys check out the Lockdown Dolphins podcast this week with Kyle Krabs, he and I have been discussing this for months now, but he'll cover it very in depth for you guys on that program, And we were discussing the fact that Miami and his estimation and all weigh on this later on in the week, has twelve players that would hit the landmarks of quality starter or cornerstone franchise piece. He has six in either category. And for those that are curious to was in the quality starter category. I would have him somewhere in the middle of that. I do think two was a cornerstone quarterback, but maybe one more year of proving it, being healthy, winning games late would help him get into that category unequivocally. But the point was that there aren't a lot of teams in the NFL that have twelve players of that caliber. And he also listed three players as average starters or adequate stars was the category he dubbed it. So that's fifteen players that are providing you value on the football field, meaning you have, you know, if you want to go by the pure numbers, you have seven spots to fill. And the Dolphins will definitely sign that many free agents and have a draft class full of ten players. So your hit, hit and misrate, you know, is going to depend on how many bites of the apple you get. I think they'll be frugal in some areas, but be able to spend aggressively in spots that are cheaper, like the guard position, like the safety position.
Speaker 2: Those are good holes to have.
Speaker 1: But I wanted to circle us all back to watching this combine and kind of putting together my notes and going off Kyle's big board and what I've developed so far as my top one hundred or so players, and I've got a lot of work to do on the back half of the class. But the general takeaway that I have is that at pick thirteen, Miami's gonna probably get a look at a pretty good nose tackle, a three hundred and twenty pound player that can disrupt the pass rush game and the run game. I think Kenneth Grant might have surpassed Mason Graham in that regard, But even though Mason Graham waited at two ninety six, I'm still curious about if he drops, like I would turn that card in. I think at linebacker, you're gonna have a look at Jehad Campbell or even Carson Swashinger, and both those guys, to me, are going to be forced multipliers. And we'll talk about here in one second, but I think his ability to come down and rush the edge and also just have pure speed at the off ball linebacker position could be the ultimate Josh Allen Eraser. And some folks might say you're essentially taking your linebacker two at pick thirteen.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't look at it that way.
Speaker 1: I think that his game is just basically like a superstar in the middle of your defense.
Speaker 2: That's how I viewed Johadd Campbell.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna have a chance to go after the defensive back route. I mean, Will Johnson might be on the board possibly. You guys know how I fell about schiavon Ravel. I don't think that he'll be a first round pick because of the injuries that he's had the last hit through throughout his career, but coming off last year, I think you could find a cornerback there.
Speaker 2: Johnny Barron from Texas.
Speaker 1: It's one of my new favorite players in this class because of how he's spoke in Indianapolis, and I went back and watched the tapement. It's like you can see the preparation and the intelligence that he talked with on the field of play. And I think about a Brian Branch comparison as a guy that can come down. And we'll talk about cater Cooho who had a chance to or didn't have a chance. But I just spent some time watching film on him and I've kind of changed my opinion on his game about where he can be long term. Here with Miami Dolphins, you could be three deep at the cornerback position, and if all those guys can play slot and perimeter, then all of a sudden you have this like very flexible, fungible defense to how Weaver wants to call it.
Speaker 2: I think you could argue.
Speaker 1: That Tyler Warren could make it that far. You could argue that Josh Simmons comes in at that part of the board. Maybe Will Campbell falls because of the arm length, Like, the Dolphins are going to have so many chances, and if they can find a trade back partner, some of these players I'm talking about would be targets in that scenario. I don't think that'll be the case, because I think trade downs are going to be very difficult to come across in this year's draft because of the value of those like picks you know, fifteen or whatever through sixty compared to the lacking top part of the class. Like this is kind of a bad year to be in that five to ten range, and after that the value starts to kind of even out.
Speaker 2: So I'm pretty excited about this.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and get into my defensive notes here for the combine and start with those defensive tackles, and I am pretty bummed out that Kenneth Grant did not work out. In fact, I don't know if I told you guys this yet, but I saw Austin Clark on the on the plane home from Indianapolis, and I joked with him.
Speaker 2: He didn't know.
Speaker 1: I was like two rows behind him, and I tapp him on the shoulder and said, what you see, Kenneth Grant doesn't gonna work out, So you just get on the first flight out of Indy. I see what's up, coach, and he he laughed about that. But Kenneth Grant did not work out his pre combined MRI I revealed a hamstring strain. That's hard to say. So he did not participate, but he did weigh in at three thirty one, which, again, the way he moves, I like, the way you move at three thirty one is really really impressive. And his teammate Mason Graham to ninety seven, was listed at three twenty at Michigan. Now Grant was three forty five at Michigan, so hey, uh, stop lying, but three twenty down to two ninety seven is a totally different player. I think that actually shakes up the draft position and I think you're gonna see Shamar Stewart go higher now than Mason Graham, and I wouldn't be surprised if he saw Kenneth Grant go higher now too. Jordan Phillips out of Maryland weighed three hundred and twelve pounds. He was listed at three point thirty to doing people that the scale operators in the Big ten.
Speaker 2: The hell are we doing out there?
Speaker 1: I thought that he was going to I thought the way he was going to move at that size made for a highly intriguing nose tackle.
Speaker 2: I'm still very intrigued.
Speaker 1: The tape is excellent, but it's more of a three technique, and he didn't run at the combine either. By the way, I had a chance to go watch Bobby Brown's tape. Who Kyle has been pushing me towards. Pretty good defender there from the rams. If he shakes free, he could be the nose tackle you're looking for. We'll talk about him more later on in this week. We're going to do draft today and Wednesday. Friday and Monday will pivot to free agency talk, and then the following Wednesday will be all about the moves that happened across the National Football League. Darius Alexander popped an indie out of Toledo. He made some money at the Senior Bowl and made more money this weekend. Six foot four to three to zero five eighty fourth percentile or better in all the timed speeds, eighty eighth percentile, ten split, which was all over the reps and mobile during the one on one portions, freaky twitch and get off, he was all so in that same range with his jumps. I've been having a really hard time with the defensive tackle position and landing my guy this offseason, but not for a lack of options. It's almost like, you know how when you pull up your streaming services and you're like, I have eight different services.
Speaker 2: I have ten shows that I know that I like.
Speaker 1: I have fourteen shows that I'm interested in, and I'm just going to go ahead and wind up watching Workaholics again because I know that I like it, and I can't make a choice. That's kind of what happens to me every time I roll through the defensive tackles, I wind up skipping out in the first round, I wind up passing it on the second round, and then I come into day to day three and I haven't filled that need yet. I just it's a tough one to kind of peg down. But between those guys, I talked about Texas's Alfred Collins. You know, I think Alexander and Phillips are somewhere on Day two, but for some reason, I just bypass these guys. But a real impact nose tackle with wiggle and movement is kind of my priority, and I think that either has to be Kenneth Grant or Alfred Collins. If we're going for a perfect world and I think you're gonna get a crack Grant maybe in the first he could be gone, and I think you can definitely get a crack at Collins at pick forty eight.
Speaker 2: Off the edge.
Speaker 1: Shamar Stewart was a player I talked about way back in October. And when I say best player available, that's not as black and white as you might think it is. Obviously, you weigh multiple variables, like if a running back and a wide receiver or neck and neck on your board, you go receiver because the positional value right and where edge might not be the biggest issue at the moment. We'll see what happens to Bradley Chubb, but you know you're gonna get JP back. You know you've got Chop Robinson. You know you've got a bunch of kind of satellite role players in that position as well, Like this team has been three and four deep in the past, and if Stewart is on the board, you sprint the card in because he's the kind of player that, despite the fact that you don't have a pressing need to edge, he transcends that. And that's why you say best player available, because he will be an impact player for you as a rookie and going forward at a key position which you cannot bock at that He's not going to be there at thirteen, right. But I bring it up because there was so much pushback on the idea of him going in that spot previous to the combine because the production was too low, which is the exact same thing we heard about Chop Robinson. But the tape shows you it's not a problem. He played a lot of run defense in that system, played some strong side forced defender, stacking the tight ends and the tackles off the edge. You just have to understand football rather than just saying daw sacks he's going to be a problem. He measured comparably to Miles Garrett with that bend at two hundred and seventy pounds in that explosiveness. Freaky, freaky athlete, a perfect ten relative athletic scorecard. There was two guys in this entire combine that accomplished that feat. Mike Green from Marshall was six three to two fifty, but in the thirty percentile for both of those off the edge, I am not interested in that by any stretch of the imagination. And then Ethan Downs from Oklahoma has the profile of a Tias Bowser type, which is usually a pretty big role in this defense, a guy that can give you three hundred to five hundred snaps with a primary rundown focus off the edge. Downs is two hundred and seventy pounds, which is eighty eight percentile, or rather he was eighty eight percentile or better, and all the speed metrics as well as his broad jump his tape shows a rather stiff bender which shows up in the thirty fifth and twenty seventh percentile three conor shuttle times. But hey, if I can draft him in the fourth round and be a five hundred snap taker off the edge and run game against the run game, boom, We'll take it. Now. The linebacker class. I mentioned Jahad Campbell. I mean, what a freak this guy is. The way he everything that he did movement wise was impressive, and it matches on the tape because I think you can sneak him down off the edge. I think you can spy an athletic quarterback like I think you look at the thirteenth pick if Jahad Campbell's there and say, like, this could be our best solution to slowing down Josh Allen. If we can turn one Josh Allen touchdown possession into a punt per game that we play them, and it's because of Jahad Campbell, Like I would take that proposition because it also plays against the other thirty one or three teams in the NFL too. But I think that he if he's on the board at thirteen, I would have a hard time not taking him. And the one reason I might not take him is because I might take this Carson Sweeshinger from UCLA. I've been talking about it forever. I thought pick forty eight might be a chance, a possibility. It's not gonna happen. Now he's going in the first round. He was going at the forty eighth pick in all my mock draft sims, but it's just wishful thinking because that tape is although it was just for one year, a one year started there at UCLA, it is tremendous and I thought that might be why he would make it the day too. But that tape paired with six foot two two forty which is bigger than the average linebacker of these days, a forty inch vertical. He would have ran really well if he did, which he willed as pro date, and he'll blaze through that thing. So those two linebackers, man, I really have high on my list and possibly first round picks, preferably in a trade back, but again that's going to be tough to do this year. And then Teddy Bucannon, first of all, spills his name crazy ted d Y E. Bucannon out of Cow six foot two, two thirty three, slightly above average size. But when you go four to six with a ninety eighth percentile vert ninety third percentile broad, and ninetieth or better percentile in both the twenty and ten yard splits and the bench press, that means I have to go watch your tape. So I'm gonna check out Teddy Buchanan at cornerback. I mentioned Johnny Baron from Texas. He had the quote of the week. Can I be committed to the process without being emotionally attached to the results. And I love that because you're not going to bat one thousand in the sport, especially as a defensive back, and so your mindset becomes massive, and he plays totally locked in. He's completely studious and thereby instinctive. I think he is a tremendous fit in a Brian branch Nickel safety role, which again I think fits if you can get Cater playing more outside, which I like him there, and you really have three cornerbacks and Ramsey, Cater and Baron that can play all three positions. Oh and Cater and Ramsey and Baron can also kind of pivot out and play inverted two high safety. So I think he exists more in a trade back scenario. Kyle will tell you he's a top ten pick, so maybe he doesn't agree with that, but these are gonna be tough to find those trade backs. But Johnny Baron, if he's a pick at thirteen, no complaints from me. Maxwell Harriston from Kentucky had a great Senior Bowl. Then he comes out and runs a four too eight ooh, that's flying. Also thirty nine and a half inch vert ten to nine broad. He's just five eleven but one to eighty three, so a good compact build. Maxwell Harrison from Kentucky Day three cornerback option. How about zaf Frasier from utsa six foot three, one eighty seven and a four to three six. I mean that's some long arms ban thirty three inch arms. That screams press man corner. We're gonna play more press man this year. With the ability to recover on the back end. I got to get to his tape. That's what this combines for. I saw that he had six picks last year. That plays pretty well. How about Caleb Ransaw from two Lane. Haven't watched him yet, but nine to nine six RRAs score out of ten. He did that with a four three three forty a forty inch vert ten to nine broad. He weighs two hundred pounds, which is the eighty second percent tile. That's the making of a true standout cornerback in the National Football League.
Speaker 2: Gotta go watch that tape.
Speaker 1: Darien Porter from Iowa State is another tape that I have to go watch because all he did was score a nine to nine to nine on the RS. It's a ten eleven broad four to three forty at six foot three. Oh, he's got thirty four inch arms too, Like I know. He got reps again Higgins and Noel from the Iowa State receiver receivers in practice every day, which means he was tested with both size and speed and I had to go look, he had just eleven snaps in the slot, so that's tough in this defense. But he was almost exclusive via perimeter cornerback that if he fits that role on day three, then maybe you have that option. Jacob Parish from Kansas State is a guy that if I don't get Johnny barn I am circling with Red pen on day two.
Speaker 2: I love his tape.
Speaker 1: He's feisty as hell, really good instincts and mirror ability. Can play inside and outside. He's just five foot ten, but he's a ball of muscle one hundred and ninety one pounds, which is sixtieth percentile at that size.
Speaker 2: But he ran a four to three six.
Speaker 1: He can activate that as a blitzer or in man coverage or even played half field in the safety position, which again we've talked about how important that is here? Eighty fifth percentile or better in all the runs and jumps, all of that, and he plays the run and presses like he's out to get revenge on you. He wants to beat the crap out of you every single snap. Jacob Parrish on day two, keep an eye on him. Safeties nick Eman Warri from South Carolina was a guy that I thought might be and play at forty eight, and perhaps the only safety and play at thirteen would be Malachai Starks. I think Iman Warre might be the best safety in the class because he's he's a quasi linebacker and how he can blitz walk down on sim pressures and then get depth in the hook zone. And he was a dept at curling back underneath those throws fifteen yards down the field, picking them off and then running them back for touchdowns on the other side. For four that's ninety eighth percent tile. And he was ninety seven ninety four in the ten and twenty splits. Forty three inch vertical ninety nine percent tile. Does that interest you? How about an eleven six broad ninety nine percent tile? How about six foot three ninety seven percent tile and two hundred and twenty pounds for ninety fifth percentile, a perfect ten rass almost identical to Jeremy Chin's workout a few years back. And I'd love to see Anthony Weaver have a player like that in his defense. It's gonna cost you pick thirteen, but he's not just a safety. He would be a Derwin James type in your scheme. You heard me talk about Jeremy Chin. I think he'll also be high on the radar next week, but if not, maybe you can find a trade partner. I doubt it going to be hard this year and move move back and get iman worry because he is way more than just a safety. Malachai Starks, I'm kind of down on him right now. His shuttle and three cone were really bad. I don't think he moves particularly well, not for a guy you're going to take in the top fifteen. But he's a really good football player. And the safety class, though, is deep in the draft and free agency, and I can find players with better athletic profiles. I was pretty surprised to see him come in at one ninety seven and have three cone, shuttle and verticals lower than the fortieth percentile. He did run a nice four to five flat forty though, and then Billy Bowman of tape, I had a blast watching. He's got centerfield instincts from Oklahoma back there, and how about these numbers for him four four to three, one, five to four to ten split. That's ninety eighth and ninety fourth percentile. So all kinds of good options, lots of good athletes in this class, and a good chance to make this football team much better.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and take a break.
Speaker 1: We'll have the offensive notes from the combine on Wednesday's podcast. But our break right here leads into my chat with the great Emory Hunt. That's next Draft Time podcast. Your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation, joining us here as he does every single year on the combine floor. Emory Hunt, CBS Sports HQ. Emory, I went and grabbed you over there and you were doing something else, man. I appreciate you taking some time today. I know you're a very busy man. This week always a pleasure, man. Thanks for having me on love coming on every year. It's become a thing, and we've been we've been on fire every time. We got to keep you going, I'm saying, and we will circle back with you sometime in May to touch up on the UDFA class Because for those of you that are new to the show, if you want to know who's gonna make this Dolphins team as a UDFA every single year, this is our guy. I mean the track record, it's I'm using the word like liberally. It's stupid. Emory, It's stupid. How right you get this every single year? Cater Coo who Julian Hill, I mean Texas A and m Commerce and Campbell. You're fine, though, there's guys who get paid a lot of money to do this, and you're doing this here on our side of the of the table as it were here with media. You got one of the two right. Last year we had Storm Duck make the squad. Andrew Meyer from UTEP also made the team out of camp. But you also gave me a name that I was certain was going to make the team until he got hurt in Grayson Murphy from UCLA. I thought he was having a great camp and I've been talking about him a lot on the podcast. Can you just kind of give us refresher on Grayson Murphy because he came out of camp like a bat out of hell. He was awesome on our first preseason drive and he got hurt on the goal line series on that drive.
Speaker 2: Tell us about Grayce and Murphy.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 4: This is an outstanding player, man, And it's crazy because we talked about the type of guys they drafted, right, they felt like they had a type at that position. He comes in, plays really well and it's like, Okay, that's another one that's going to help out this this rotation or help be a part of this team. And then unfortunately, football happens where you know, you get hurt and it's hopefully he gets another swing at it.
Speaker 3: Because he's an outstanding player.
Speaker 4: It was fascinating to see him, you know, go undrafted because I thought he definitely was someone based on his tape should have been drafted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he acclimated very quickly. We had him on the on our podcast in the summer. Really really cool young man, fun to group for. So I'm looking forward to him getting back. We could have used him last year. We had a lot of attrition at that position. We also at the cornerback. I mean it feels like every year every team needs like five or six corners and Storm Duck because of some of the attrition there with Kendall Fuller getting hurt.
Speaker 2: He's now been released.
Speaker 1: Storm Duck got those reps in his place, beating out Cam Smith, Ethan Bonner, a couple of guys that were you know, in line to possibly get reps there. Tell us about Storm Duck and what you think for him going into year two.
Speaker 4: You know, it's interesting because we were here when we were talking about Duck and how good he is and how underrated he is, how great of a name he has for a cornerback. Right, But when you think about what he does about matt skills or impressive ball awareness is good, which means he's able to play through the hands and do a great job of playing attacking the ball. He's not shocked when the ball comes his way. And I think the sky is the limit for him because he was someone that really jumped on the scene.
Speaker 3: As a freshman. Yeah, Unc then app stayed.
Speaker 4: It's like, man, people keep forgetting about how good this dude was right out of the gate, and he had some injuries. Glad he was able to say healthy made the team. I think he's going to continue to build on what he did last season.
Speaker 1: You got the big school kids, the UCLA kid and he was at Louisville's.
Speaker 2: School.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and his coach was outstanding.
Speaker 4: His his dB coach does a great job, coach ellis in coaching.
Speaker 3: He got another guy here, Quincy.
Speaker 4: I forgot his last name, but he's out here too, So another Louisville corner.
Speaker 3: Can't wrong with that.
Speaker 2: I know, I know you're talking about with the name also SKATESE. Smith moment.
Speaker 1: So we'll get, we'll get, we'll edit that end, we'll do that in post. But yeah, it's it's just I thought it was funny that you got some big school names there, because like those guys to your in Europian probably should have been drafted last year, right, like they were good enough to go on Day three.
Speaker 4: It's always fascinating when you think about how small the draft is, but how big the draft is in terms of prospects. There's only it's like trying to fit a bus through the front door. Only parts of the bus is gonna get in. Doesn't mean there's not more bus out there. And that's why I love the eighth round. So the speaking terms of the undrafted free agents and those guys, because there are still a ton of good football players. You could take everybody's practice squad, make that the thirty thirty team and beat some breaks.
Speaker 3: Off some of it. So there's a lot of good football players that's not on the fifty three.
Speaker 1: I like the way you phrased that, and you know, I think that I think I saw a stat that it's like teams have first rounders, second rounders, then u DFAs are the ones that make up most of NFL rosters. So it pay attention to all these guys because they're going to be players that you're going to be hearing about down the road. And I do want to get to your sleepers here in a minute. But I've done a few of these interviews and this name has not yet come up. But you and I spoke about him last spring. I think we talked about having Ward Sanders and Jalen Milroe is our top three quarterbacks. You and I were in lockstep on that. Are you still in that frame of mind and talk about Jalen milrollt?
Speaker 4: Yes, And I'm glad you asked that because I feel like I've become the Jail and Milroe defender. But here's why, and it's I truly believe people talk about the quarterback position with aut really diving deep into it and what it entails and what I love about Jail and Milroe that we found out this year as a country. He won the Campbell Award, which the academic heisman. I am a college Football Hall of Fame voter. I'm a member of the National Football Foundation, so I've gone to a couple of these Campbell Award ceremonies. I remember one year it was a running back that was outstanding, Sam Binger from Carnegie Mellon and fantastic tailback. I called one of his games and I remember him he talking to him, talking to me after the ceremonies of men, I want to do what you don't do. Like Sam, you got a four point five in molecular biology, Go be good in life.
Speaker 3: Bro like you. You are already doing great.
Speaker 4: But that's the type of GPAs and majors you have to have to win it reachon. Is why you see schools be excited when guys are named semi finalists, like a Jackson dark right, who's a semifinalist. That's great because that's that's your competing get against everybody in the nc do PLA so D one, the D three, so Milroe starting quarterback Alabama. Campbell Award shows you how locked in he is with football and also his academics. He's a military kid, so you know, he's very disciplined with shows and him win that award and he was able to play at a high level because always see this think about mil Roe. When we first saw him at twenty twenty two, it was kind of like, I don't know if to do gonna make it to the end of the year a quarterback, you know what I'm saying, Probably gonna to play something else. Then twenty twenty three got significantly better to the point where we're like, they can't win without mill Roll. We saw the fourth quarter against Auburn, the last second fourth down throw to the touch in the back corner touchdown, and then we saw them beat Georgia in the SEC title game where he outplayed Carson back and coming into this year, people don't give him credit for breaking in a new offense, which is why we saw the inconsistency in some of the turnovers, but the touchdowns were still the same on both sides, and he still was playing.
Speaker 3: Really good football.
Speaker 4: He had this you know the you know the pockets of games where you're just like, yo, what was going on? But overall, you know this kid wants to get better, has proven he can get better and has shown you the willingness to improve, and we know he's mentally capable of being a leader, a smart guy. And I think what we're gonna hear as week goes on him interviewing very well coming out of these meets, because who wouldn't want someone that has done all of those things and also can do things athletically that a lot not a lot of people can.
Speaker 1: Do, which I think is a perfect example of maybe why he decided to come out and a guy that you know you would have confidence drafting in the middle round somewhere because if he has that type of mentality and work ethic and discipline to your point, the stuff that he can work on and refine, because it's probably going to be as a backup off the top, right, it's probably not going to be drafted as a franchise guy right off the top.
Speaker 2: I imagine that's kind of where you've come here.
Speaker 4: Because I have a gap between shadur Cam, then Jail and then Jail and Mirroll, so that like it's the second round grade for Milrod first round grades for you know, Shador and Cam. But if you wanted to sell me on late first round on mill Rod because of all the things I mentioned, I'd.
Speaker 3: Be okay, who I could buy that?
Speaker 4: Because think about what we're seeing now with Malik Willis in Green Bay. See what happens when you put someone in a nurturing environment and you allow them to cultivate their skills and you accentuate their skills with what they do well by your play calling and putting in put belief in their game. The same thing we're seeing with Tuur when he went from one coach to the next. It's like confidence. Let you go out there and play free and you're getting the best of tour. Milrod's the same way is I think you know, and we say it with movie, but let's see a lot of quarterbacks. So he may not start, but if you allow him to go and do what he did at Alabama, develop and listen anytime, all the options are covered and you could take off for seventy I mean, I kind of want that on my.
Speaker 2: Time, I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And that's why I feel like the Dolphins would make a lot of sense sometime on Day two because if you know, Tua, you're gonna want to get stability at back up quarterback with two as your quarterback because he's missed some time and you probably want a guy that can give you upside beyond what you offers. And when you tell me about this guy that's gonna come in here, and it sounds like work is butt off from day one and really commit to that process with the coaching staff that, by the way, has Mike McDaniel, Frank Smith, Darryl Bevell. I mean that there's just a loaded quarterback whisper group they have there, Like it makes a ton of sense to me to have him in that environment or a team like the Dolphins.
Speaker 2: I just think they're a team that would make some sense.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad to have you get some perspective because, like I watched that Vanderbilt game and the way he was like layering throws between split field safety, I was like, that's that is That is not like just an afterthought throw. That's like a big time NFL throw, right, he can do that and he has to your point, seventy yard touchdnine runner Bill think.
Speaker 4: About the I'm glad you brought the Vanderbilt game because there were some throws in that game that was just like, this is what we wanted to see. That's the next step, the layering of throws, even against Auburn this year, because everything was about we know he could throw the debut. Actually he was the best deep ball passer who last year. So now we went against Auburn, we saw him layer some short throws. That's where he has to really show consistency. And the short stuff we know he get. The deep stuff, we know he could take off. Then, speaking of taking off LSU, we're in studio watching this game and as soon as it was the second long run, as soon as he hit the tackle, I like, oh, he's gone because you could see the explosiveness in turnover and he just zoom past everybody. So with that, thinking about what we always talk about with Miami, Tyreek Hill, Jalen Wattle, all the speed, speed in the backfield with a chan and right now you add a speed, explosive quarterback.
Speaker 3: Good luck.
Speaker 4: That's that's the situation you want to create. Think about why Derrick Henry had his best season with Lamar Jackson, Think about why sa Quan had his best season with Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 3: You see where we're going.
Speaker 2: The NFL's going right now, exactly.
Speaker 4: Put a mover quarterback with a great tailback, great things are gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Just the I thought about a little bit in the playoff roundm like man Emory's watching this being like I told you, guys, running backs where the we're still the thing in the NFL. And yeah, I just I think it makes a lot of sense because while you develop him, you could have a red zone option that comes into the game. And to your point, I've got a chan, I've got Jalen Wright, I've got Tyreek, I've got Waddle, and here's Jalen Milroe.
Speaker 4: You got one dude on your team that could run full five. Good luck And so just a tidy up your point. I'm a big CFL guy, right, So the CFL does a great job in having short yardist quarterbacks, goal line quarterbacks. Saints starting to get a little bit that with Taysom Hill not saying he's Taysom Hill like we you can catch the ball, but I'm saying, like you could bring in a short yardist, red zone quarterback and still operate your offense because now you have a true quarterback.
Speaker 3: That can throw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and my w Shu Coogs did it with cam Ward and John Mattier two years ago and he's now with Oklahoma as another great product of the WHU Cougar's producer. I won't get into that too much further for you there. So I've done a lot of talk about the trenches on the show this week, Emory's. It's kind of what every wants to talk about for the Miami Dolphins. But I do want to get to the skill positions, and you know, we'll go to your alma mater of positions, if you will, your former college running back here with us on the show. I keep hearing this phrase. I want to test it with you. Is this the deepest running back class you've seen ever?
Speaker 4: I won't say ever, because that means since nineteen twenty.
Speaker 1: I will say since you've created all those classes, right, I've.
Speaker 4: Read all those shout out to Rick Grange, you know, I will say this, since the Lenard four net class.
Speaker 3: So that's Leonard Fournett, Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 4: Aaron Jones, Dalvin Cook, Dalvin Cook to Rick Cohen, Kareem Hunt. So it's that type of class because even deeper down you like, Yo, they got some dudes in this one.
Speaker 3: So I like this running back class.
Speaker 4: It's the deepest one since that one, probably deeper and maybe a little bit past that because of the depth of the guys and the duality of what they can do, because of how the game is sort of continued to morph.
Speaker 3: So yes, this is a very deep running back class.
Speaker 1: Do you think Gent's in play for the Dolphins at thirteen? Would you venture to think about adding him with even though you already have a channel right like it might be a luxury pick for the Dolphins, But what do you think about that possible fit?
Speaker 4: I mean, I wouldn't I wouldn't hate it, but I will I would say if we're sticking with the theme of explosiveness, Gent wouldn't be the one I would go with, especially if you look at what potentially is in this class and think about, Okay, the Dolphins have the speed, guys, can we get sized with speed? Oli Gordon is sitting right there in rounds two or whatever, right six, one, two, twenty three and underrated explosive speed. You have guys like that, you have maybe someone that may not have the explosive speed but has the wiggle that kind of reminds me of a little bit of a Matt Forte and ja Quindon Jackson of Arkansas six one two twenty five great and pass pro catches the ball well around, you know, over his shoulders or whatnot, and does a great job on both ends of offense.
Speaker 3: You have those big guys.
Speaker 4: That that that that do a great job in outside zone, always making the right decisions, and those are backs. I think something different but with the same, within the same construct of what you want to do offensively.
Speaker 3: Jenty to me would be a gap scheme guy.
Speaker 4: You know, you throw a full back in front him. He reminds me so much of Imbosmit in that reguard, like I'd rather see him with a full back in front of him. Gap run, run downhill. But in terms of my Miami I told you this before, I'm trying to get the fastest guys on the field and trying to make this I'm trying to make you start arguing with each other by midway through the first quarter, like who got him?
Speaker 3: I went, That's what I want to create offenses.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because I have notes on my screen here for questions I'm going to ask emery and the follow up was give me guys that fit the outside zone, but also maybe a little bit of power too, because we've got him, We've got right. I kind of want that like combination back. And you just talked about a little bit there, and are there a couple more because you know, like Caleb Johnson was a guy that I thought maybe maybe made some sense in the way he could get to the perimeter for Iowa last year. I thought, name right, Kiley Johnson, and then the two Ohio state kids were guys that I was a big fan. Can you tell me about Quinn Shawn Jenkins and Trayvon Henderson because you want to explosiveness man Henderson, Buddy.
Speaker 4: I tell you what my guy, the Jay Dulsible throughout a great comfort for Jenkins that I kind of agree with. It's Josh Jacobs. They kind of the same guy. One cut downhill physical runner. Henderson to me is like, listen to jazz music. It's just so light on his feet. It's kind of like it's just like you. It's almost like you rather watch his highlights with a glass of cabernet and some jazz plank because this is smooth, right, and so.
Speaker 2: Judkins is heavy metal and Whiskey heavy medal of.
Speaker 4: Whiskey and Dan Campbell sitting there egging you on, right. So that's this type of a running back he is. But with Henderson, Henderson kind of rounded out his game this year. Man, you saw him be better as a runner because he always had pass pro, which is a great skill to have coming into the league, and he catched football and we know about his speed and agility, but I like that he became a little bit more decisive as a runner, taking the free yards and then the big yards happened because of that, and that's where he was able to grow his game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that Rose Bowl was fun to watch. I love the Josh Jacobs comparison Becau. I've talked a little about how the Packers were a team that runs the Shanahan system or a variation of it, and they go out and they get their running back to your point about Saquon, about Derrick Henry, about now Josh Jacobs in Green Bay, and they added that power element to their football team and I thought it was a great compliment. So I think Miami would would do well to invest in something to that effect. Let's go I hadn't pivot now to the receiver class, and we heard about Tyreek Hills off he's in wrist surgery that he had not going to be catching footballs. He will be working out all off season besides catching the ball. Jalen Waddles obviously in to with the contract here as well. Malik Washington was a big hit for us last year. You know, I think that if you're looking for a receiver in this year's class, to me, it probably probably is a bigger body. But also we don't we don't misiscriminate against speed either.
Speaker 2: We love speed.
Speaker 1: So what do you think about that dynamic of how the Dolphins receiver's room might be made up and who might be a guy that you like in that fit?
Speaker 4: Listen, I can't wait to see how he runs because I'm excited about him, and he kind of fits what we talked about in Miami because he could do more than one thing.
Speaker 3: Might even be your shut Your art is back? How about saving I Williams got a TCU.
Speaker 2: You're talking about language? I love saving insane five.
Speaker 4: You know we know he can get vertical. No, he's a catch and run threat. He could play inside or outside. But I love that in you know, third and short goal line whatever. They put him in the backfield quarter he's or a tailback. He's running right down at A and B gap and ripping off sixty plus yard runs. Like making guys. It's kind of like Carderol Patterson reincarnated. I won't say Ryn carnacause he's still here, but you know what Patterson was as a prospect.
Speaker 3: He's able to do similar things.
Speaker 4: I'm like, man, I can't wait to see what he runs at that size doing those things.
Speaker 3: That's special.
Speaker 4: To be able to have the cuts of someone that's five to eleven but you're staying six four six five is great. I would also toss in, you know, I know people look at Tetero McMillan as Yeah, maybe I don't know if he's the first round. I just like how they use him at Arizona playing inside or out. You know, he's a catch and run guy, able to really, you know, take a short pass and go a long way because he's weaving in out of traffic like a New York cab. I love that about his game as well. So there's some dudes stylistically that I feel like can fit the Dolphins and when you look at it, he's like, Okay, what do we have? What can we add that does what we do? And I think this is something that kind of fits in what Miami kind of does and gives him a little bit different look than what they already have on the roster.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because you know we're gonna talk about tight ends here. I'm a big fan of Tyler Warren off the top, and a lot of that is because he can I think he can be your short yard answer in an area that Miami has to get better at. But watching Save You on Williams Man, he does the wildcat stuff. He can spin off of a guy and run away from him. He can hurtle like it's it's so much fun to watch. I'm so glad you mentioned that name. We are in lockstep there once again, my friend tight end position. So do you share the same sentiment about Warren. I know that's not really not that you don't do the top of the class, but you're more of our sleeper guy. But tell me about the tight end class here and do you think Warren would make sense?
Speaker 2: It picked thirteen.
Speaker 4: Tight end class is really good, Like there's no nuance about this, A really good class, like the running back class, and because we're starting to see teams. We talked about this a couple of years ago where I think you asked a question while we're seeing so many good tight ends coming from small schools, and I told you it was like, well, because you've got the taller, a step slower, skinnier receivers that are getting picked up by the They tournament's tight ends. And now you have these athletic guys that can run because they were receivers in high school. So we've seen the position bloom and blossom. But for Warren, we just talked about red zone right, red zone heavy on this Pott. We talked about Jellow mill Roe, we talked about Savi Williams. Warren is right there because we see how Penn State used in Pens State understands you are our best offensive player. We're gonna get you the football, We're gonna put you on offense and let you do offensive things. And so him being a wildcat quarterback that can throw gives you a whole new dynamic as a heightened him being a route runner is and as fluid as he can be dynamic with the ball in his hands, he's to me, he's sort of like and not because they were the same number, but Dallas Clark. Same type of guy, same type of he should be moving that fast. I don't think he's that fast, but he's out running by linebacker, he's always open, he catches through contact.
Speaker 3: That's a really good prospect.
Speaker 4: I'm glad people are feeling comfortable and putting him high in the draft because that's the type of guys you take in first round, those obvious impact players.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he makes a lot of sense for the way he can impact the edge in the outside his own game, the way he can catch the football, and he's not like a shaky route runner, but he gets open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's really sop.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's all you need, a little bit of space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all it takes. Man.
Speaker 1: So looking forward to see what happens there, I think it goes before the Dolphins quite frankly, but we'll see if he makes it there. Let's close with the cornerback position, Emery, because we saw the Dolphins release Kendall Fuller a couple of weeks back.
Speaker 2: Right now, we've got Jillen Ramsey and.
Speaker 1: Cater Coo, who had his best year as or pro by the way, he was out standing in twenty twenty four. What do you think about a possible corner for the Dolphins here? Maybe later in the draftic of thinking.
Speaker 4: About I will say I got a couple guys listed. Isis Waxer, who's here at the combine out of Villanova. I called this game against Mamath and in the press box I see like twelve NFL scouts there and I'm thinking they're there for Mama's running back Tony Into who's five eleven, two thirty five that had like thirty touchdowns this year or something crazy. It was thirty like one yard toeschdowns. But he was a show. He was a wild quarterback and just pounding it. So he's an NFL prospect. Probably see him on the Dolphins as well too. But there was that Sea Waxer, and wax was a big corner. Cameron match physical press skills, and he was doing the same things at the Shrine game as well. So I'm glad to see him go there excel and now he's here is to see how he runs.
Speaker 3: Here's a couple of names.
Speaker 4: I said this before the season, Kansas has the best duo of corners in college football easily in the Big twelve, and that's Melo Dotson and Kobe Bryant. Melo Dotson has great ball skills, ball aware, and his ball instincts will turn the ball over.
Speaker 3: In a heartbeat.
Speaker 4: Bryant I was shocked at the shrine that he measured in at his size, not in a negative way. It was like, wow, I thought he was He told me he was six two two twenty. I believe that that's how he plays. He's five eleven one seventy five, plays way bigger than his size and is feisty, aggressive, another one that attacks the ball. Those two dudes are gonna be fantastic corners that can give you some versatilely playing insider out and a sleeper. Carlin Vigors of ul Monroe six one one eight five had a great Hula Bowl week. You'll watch your game against Texas. You see him handle one of those Texas receivers rather well. That says a lot. And I was just at the AHVC Legacy Bowl last weekend. Robert McDaniel out of Jackson State defensive back could play safety but can cover six two two thirteen, ran four to five, jump ten eight on a broad jump had the thirty and a half ins vertical outstanding defender.
Speaker 1: You can find guys anywhere. Man, did the numbers? You're listening here about these kids? Like why are they not at Ohio State or playing football?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? Like it is crazy to hear that those measurements.
Speaker 1: And once again, Emory, you've done it for us here, providing us all kinds of great content.
Speaker 2: What about twenty minutes with you?
Speaker 1: So I appreciate that time you gave us here, Emory, CBS Sports HQ.
Speaker 2: What's the week looking like for you? What are you working on? Working the folks find a.
Speaker 3: Still working on the draft guy? Man, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's the largest draft guy in existence football gameplan dot Com SLAS twenty twenty five Draft Guide, over one thousand individuals, scattering reports.
Speaker 3: You've seen the draft guy.
Speaker 4: It's beneficial not only to begin the season draft regular season gods pop in and off the like who the hell is this tight end we just got from Joe Blow State? Oh Emory has a report from Joe Blowstate on this tight end we just got. So and it helps you become a more knowledgeable fan. I always it's a labor of love. It's very intensive, uh and so, but I love doing it because on the back end, I know it tests the table for the NFL season, CFL season, UFL season. A lot of these guys go elsewhere and play even in European League of Football. We got touched, we got we got bodies out there as well too. So Football gameplan dot Com say's twenty twenty five draft guy. That's what you That's what I'm focused on here. But also always want to see.
Speaker 1: Who run fast, great stuff. As always, he'll make you a smarter football fan. Dolphins and Emory Hunt appreciate your time today, man, Thank you again, thank you.
Speaker 3: As always.
Speaker 1: That's a man that knows his value and what he offers in the draft space. And he's not wrong. I mean the draft guy that he produces and the value for you know, everyone talks about these, you know, top twenty fifty one hundred prospects, but Emory takes you three hundred deep every single year and gives you a good feeling about you know what you might add at the cutdown day in September when rosters are being finalized, So check out his work in the meantime.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be my time.
Speaker 1: You all, please be sure to subscribe to the podcast wherever you get your podcasts from. Go ahead and leave us a rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on social at wrinklind NFL and the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice, the YouTube channel for Dolphins, HQ, Media availabilities, and so much more, and last button not least, Miami Dolphins dot com. Until next time, fins Up, Caroline Cameron, Daddy us govern