Speaker 1: Welcome to another edition of Bills by the Numbers, where we let the stats tell you where the Bills are at coming up, What roles must be solidified on Buffalo's new defense for you to feel comfortable. Which position competitions could be the fiercest on d And we'll have our one burning question We've got to get moving. Players are back on the field. Glad to have you along with us here on Bills by the Numbers. He is Bill's Wall of famous Steve Tasker on Bills play by playmak Chris Brown, and our agenda begins with the biggest area of interest concerning the Bills this offseason, their defense. Jim Leonard is Buffalo's new defensive coordinator and with him comes a brand new defensive scheme with the unit moving to a three to four system. First order of business is finding the fits for the starting and I would think the defensive line, at least in pencil is the following left to right, counting the outside linebackers Bradley Chubb, Ed Oliver Dion Walker, TJ. Sanders, Greg Russo, how do we feel about that group?
Speaker 2: Not too bad? I mean, Rousseau and Chubb have got some chops you and I both feel I think we talked about on the radio show a little bit the Daily Show. I think Solomon, Javon Solomon is a better fit in a three to four outside linebacker than he was his a defensive end stand up or with his hand on the ground.
Speaker 3: Probably a rotational piece.
Speaker 2: He's a rotational piece. I think the athletes they have, in some respects, some of them are gonna be better fitted for Jim Leonard's defense. Rousseau's the one that kind of surprised me. They're right out of the gate that said he's going to have his hand off the ground and he's going to be standing as an outside linebacker. Moved his number, changed his number. That says a lot. I think they feel really good. In fact, I think this coaching staff on the defensive side is like, Okay, they feel like they're going to be able to do some things with these guys, and they like them despite having the fact that you know they drafted six more.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that.
Speaker 1: You can probably Lockstock and Barrel, Rousseau, and Chubb on the on the edges to start. Dion Walker, I think is a lock because you need a big player next to Ed Oliver especially in this scheme. I think it's that other spot, that other defensive end spot that I mean I just penciled in TJ. Sanders, right, It could be Landon Jackson, it could be one of the rookies, Like you don't know who that player is. I think that is a wide open role to be filled. And we know the work that Landon Jackson did in this offseason putting on twenty pounds of lean mussel mass, because in the four to three system he was going to be a hand on the ground defensive end edge rusher. Now he's kicking inside to play that you know, five technique or four I if you will. And we've seen him in the building and he looks like a different human being. He's like two hundred and eighty five pounds after being two sixty seven last year. So it's a dramatic transformation. And I wonder how much that helps him compete for one of those roles on the defensive line because we've got a lot of young players in the mix there. Inside linebacker is where we anticipate there being a competition for the right to play alongside Mike linebacker Torel Bernard. How realistic is it? That Dorian Williams is pushed by a player with a very similar skill set in rookie Caleb Elarms or very realistic.
Speaker 2: Dorian has been a good player, and he's he's flashed, no question about it. He's been a part of the roster. He's almost never been a leading tackler for this team in one of his three seasons. He's never He's never not on the field for the team in some way, shape or form, whether it be special teams, wherever he gets a game day jersey. But he's never been the centerpiece of the defense. He's never been a guy that he's got to play for us, he's going to play one hundred percent of the defensive snaps or even fifty percent of the defensive snaps. I think his his role has been limited for different reasons, for whatever reason, and whenever that's the case for any player in the league, it's up for grabs unless you're the guy, unless you've got a green dot on your helmet, or you know you're a guy that's playing a lions share of the snaps. Now, even in even in the years past, when they've rotated all four defensive linemen through and they've you know they've found combinations that worked. We don't know that that's going to happen, right.
Speaker 3: Or at least not to the degree that it has been happening.
Speaker 2: And even if they do, it's going to be three guys rotating, not four. It'll be the defensive and the nose guard. And you've got some versatility because and this is one of the things about this three four concept that we don't know yet. A guy like Michael Hoyt can line up anywhere at any of the four linebacker spots. That's the kind of athlete he is. Same thing with Javon Solomon. Now, certainly he's not going to be as experienced playing inside a linebacker off the ball as he has been on the edge, right, But the athleticism's there. And if you get into these games where they start tinkering with it and getting deeper and deeper into the season and they show some stuff and prove some stuff, and they want to show some things to get other teams to prepare for you got guys who can do that. Dorian Williams is in that. I have a hard time seeing him on the edge, but you could certainly do that. And it's the same thing with kleb e. Larms or their athleticism. Those four linebackers aside from the responsibilities, man, they're the same kind of athletic build. The inside guys I don't have to be quite as big as the outside but there you have it. You can still switch them around.
Speaker 1: That was gonna be my I think what makes this potential position competition so intriguing is Dorian Williams and Caleb el arms Or have similar skill set profiles. Both are extremely athletic players who can run and you need that on the quote unquote week inside linebacker position guy that can cover a little more round and both of those players can do that. So I'm to me it's apples and apples in that competition. It's not apples and oranges. And so it's really going to come down to who is quickest on the uptake in terms of the assignments and reading their keys in this new system, and whoever is better at that and proves to be the more consistent player in sniffing out offensive plays, making plays on the ball, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. I think is going to get the upper hand here through the course of training camp at outside corner. Christian Benford's name is in penn at one spot. And then I think it's reasonable to assume that Max Harriston is going to be pushed by Davison Igbinosan. So assess for me your anticipat anticipation of that competition.
Speaker 2: Well, Igbinosen is the corner that this defensive staff had a voice in choosing. I'm not saying they don't like Max, but they're different. Max and Igbinosen are different guys. Igbinosin's built a little bit more like Benford, a little bigger, little longer, that kind of thing. Max Harrison is an athlete, and I mean he can scoot. We know that, so that may have that may be something that tilts the field a little bit more in Igbinosen's favor in that he's the exact kind of athlete they want out there. You would think having this defensive staff in the room when they picked him, that doesn't mean they don't like Max, but it does mean that What does mean they like igb You like, Yeah, they prove they picked him, and they picked the trade it up to pick that and they picked him number two, right their second pick of the draft. That's you know that's big. That's, you know, thirtieth pick of the second He's the thirtieth pick of the second round sixty two overall. Yeah, they like the guy, So yeah, I think there is gonna be some competition there. I think it's gonna be good for both those guys. I think they're both gonna have a spot on the roster. I think it also opens up the possibility for an athlete like Max to move down inside with some space and a two way go for a slot receiver because when you're on the outside, the sideline's there to help an outside corner and he can use it to his advantage. Inside there's a two way go for that the receiver that you need athleticism and absolute twitchy speed to hang in there with. Tarren Johnson was very good at it, and I think Max has got that kind of athleticism. It'll take some reps because he's an outside corner, but he's got that kind of athletic So that to me, that competition in a corner. They certainly at the way the season has ended for them, they want to make sure they've got enough corners to go out there and line up because they didn't last year.
Speaker 1: At the end, I think in stark contrast to the inside linebacker competition that we anticipate to be between Dori and Williams and Klebb E Larms or could be other candidates, those two are very similar. Hairston and Igb play very different styles of football. Right. Harston is the pure athlete, runs like a deer, can run with anybody out there at the receiver position, and makes plays on the ball. Igb is in your face pressman, plays the body almost more than the ball, and clearly to your point, this defensive staff liked him, recommended him to their personnel department, and then they ultimately trade up and pick him because I think they believe he embodies the playing style they want on their side of the ball.
Speaker 3: Now, how does.
Speaker 1: That all come out in the wash in terms of positions filled, We'll have to see. But I think that's a competition that is going to be a lot fiercer than some might be anticipating going into training camp. I think we believe that CJ. Gardner Johnson is the starting safety opposite Cole Bishop, but there is other talent at the position who do you believe most makes it a competition? Geno Stone Jalen Kilgore or Damar Hamlin Well.
Speaker 2: I think it's Geno Stone out of the gate because he's going to have some familiarity with playing in the NFL. The concepts are going to come better to him because he's a veteran guy. Jalen Kilgore has the athleticism and he has the ability to do a physical but we haven't seen it. Yeah, you don't know. And Damar. I think Damar is probably odd man out. Could be Gino Stone, Jalen Kilgore, and CJ. Gardner Johnson. I think that's where the competition is. And you can bet that all of those guys are gonna have a say.
Speaker 1: And who's on the squad, Yeah, kill Gore to me is the superior physical specimen obviously.
Speaker 3: CJ.
Speaker 1: Gardner Johnson. Once again, we go back to the physical, intimidating approach that Jim Leonard wants this defense to take.
Speaker 3: CJ.
Speaker 1: Gardner Johnson has a track record of that. People on offense in the middle of the field better have their head on a swivel when CJ. Gardner Johnson is on the field because he will deliver a blow. So I think that appeals to this defensive staff. This guy has played in multiple playoff games. He's got a proven tray, So I think he's the odds on favorite to be Cole Bishop's partner at the safety position. But I think if Kilgore can prove to be a quick study, his physical skill set is the kind of presents the kind of ability where a defensive staff will say, if we want our best eleven on the field, he's got to be one of them, even if it's just some of the time. He might still be learning on the job. And I could foresee a situation where the defensive staff says, look, he doesn't have it all figured out yet, but let's have a package here. When we go to three safety, Look he's on the field.
Speaker 2: And even so when he in the beginning, if they want him on the field, they will put him on the field when they've got a shorter menu, a defensive scheme and calls. It'll put him into situationals where they know what they're gonna get and so he doesn't have to he's not gonna get caught unawares and something he doesn't expect. Right, He's got it. And it's like every young player you start with a small menu of stuff. You let him master that, then you start to expand it a little bit, a little bit and a little bit, and then when you need it, they've got the full repertoire of moves. You're not gonna have that in the beginning. But certainly, certainly you're right. He's got the Kilgore's got the athleticism they're looking for. While CJ. Chauncey Gardner or Gardner Johnson, I'm sorry that guy brings some tude, he brings some attitude, and.
Speaker 3: It could be a veteran presence.
Speaker 2: Ben and I have talked a lot about one thing this defense has missed in the last you know, half a decade is some grit an edge. They don't have any anger and any aggression on the field, or at least don't have it often enough, and it shows. It shows I think they'd get some benefit from a guy like Gardner Johnson.
Speaker 1: Finally, the most intense competition could very well be at Nickel corner, which is an open position after Tarren Johnson was traded to Las Vegas this offseason. De Alford, a free agent signee, and Jordan Hancock, second year player who was a fifth round pick out of Ohio State last year. Are likely the prime candidates. There could be others, but what are your expectations there?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know that nickeol is going to be as as important as it was under the McDermott defense when they're in the four to three, okay, because their philosophy was to leave the same eleven guys on the field all the time as much as they could. Now they'd rotate the defensive line, but the secondary was on the field and they didn't move. They stayed in nickel. They didn't go to sub packages. They stayed in one pack as much as possible short yardage maybe in goal line, of course, but they remember there were times when then they played nickel ninety percent of the time or a lot of it. And I don't know that that's going to be the case. So this nickel back, if he's really good, yeah, they're gonna try and get him on the field. But I don't think there's an urgency to like, we've got to play this. Don't forget. Even under McDermott, they went to because that was their best eleven. They were the most effective, yeah play in that nickel, and teams felt like they could run against five dbs and six heavies, Well, they couldn't get it done because tarn was feisty and competitive. This best eleven for this de Bill's defense might not include a fifth dB perhaps, So I don't think they're gonna need a nickel as vitally. Now. They're gonna need one, absolutely, but they're not gonna need one as Violet and won't be as huge a part of it now. Having said that, I have always thought, like with the wide receivers on the other side, when they're in the slot and you get a nickel down in the slot, it's a special kind of athlete. We just talked about Max Harriston. But one of the things we talked about last year when Jordan Hancock was drafted, how versatile an athlete he was safety corner and he's a little bigger. So all of that being said, d Alford has experienced doing it. I mean, they like what they saw and don't forget, and once again they went out and picked him. They went out and signed him.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So that was a short list of guys that they were gonna get and he was one of them. So I think those guys Hancock and Alford are the guys you in, the club leaders in the clubhouse. But I would not be surprised if once they start taking live reps and get a load of some of the athletes on this field, like Max Harriston, that they don't give him a shot at it. So I'm yeah, I'm with you. I think that is a competition between Alford and Hancock at the moment, maybe Harriston and down the line if they want to do that. But I don't think it's as vital as it has been in the past. I don't think it'll play as big a role as it has. Maybe it will, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I see Alford as your veteran president security blanket at the position. I'm not saying he's in case of emergency break lass. I think he could very well win the role. But I guess what I'm saying is he is your high floor player because you know he's capable. You've seen it on tape in NFL games. So he's a guy that at least you feel comfortable putting out there, and then it's on Jordan Hancock or whoever else to outperform him or demonstrate that you haven't even higher ceiling than said veteran player. Now, that might be a lot for Hancock to pull off in one offseason and a training camp, knowing in his rookie year he probably got more reps at safety than he did at Nickel corner. So even though he was listed as a dual role player last year, more of his reps came at safety than they did at nickel. And now he's shifting back there and he's in a different system. So how quick can he master all those responsibilities for that job and can it exceed the level of experience and consistency that Alford brings to the table.
Speaker 3: I'm not so sure. We'll have to see.
Speaker 2: It's it's a level playing field. Everybody's learned it for the first time, right, except for what whoever's came from Denver with Leonard, I mean if anybody did right, I mean right, so they got to learn it. It's a level playing field. Like Hancock gets no help from the year he put in last year in another system, except for the he gets the reps of playing actually playing when he did. So. Yeah, I think because of the philosophy switch and the system switch, they're all starting from ground zero trying to learn this thing from from the studs up.
Speaker 3: We pivot now.
Speaker 1: To the numbers game, where Steve will be quizzed on player jersey numbers because several of them have changed.
Speaker 3: From last year. So let's do it.
Speaker 1: Question Number one, rookie fourth three round pick Jude Bowery is wearing jersey number seventy four in his first year with the Bills. Who wore jersey number seventy four for Buffalo last season. Vandermark correct, Ryan, Vandermark, Very well done, Steve. Question Number two, free agent signee CJ. Gardner Johnson is wearing number twenty two in his first season for the Bills. Who wore that number last year for Buffalo?
Speaker 2: Twenty two?
Speaker 3: Nobody, somebody did wear it. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have asked the question.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a trick question number twenty two. Come on, twenty two. Oh No, it wasn't running back.
Speaker 3: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't wasn't running back.
Speaker 3: Take a stab at it, all right.
Speaker 2: I'll say, I'll say, uh Man, wasn't Ty Johnson. It was. It was the other running back theyhead, Frank gor Junior.
Speaker 3: Now I don't know you're on the right track, Steve.
Speaker 1: It was Ray Davis, Ray did Ray Ward twenty two last year?
Speaker 2: I did not, I did, I didn't. He got me.
Speaker 3: Question number three.
Speaker 1: Dj Moore is wearing jersey number two for the Bills after he was acquired via trade.
Speaker 3: Who last wore jersey number two for Buffalo?
Speaker 2: I thought Tyler Bass was number two.
Speaker 3: I'll give it to you.
Speaker 1: It was Tyler Bass, which was harder than most because you didn't see him at all last year wearing that number two every day.
Speaker 3: He changed, well, he kind of had to. He gave Dj Moore number two, which.
Speaker 1: Brings us to question number four. Tyler Bass, Ray Davis, and Greg Russo are all wearing new jersey numbers for the Bills this season. Can you name two of their three new jersey numbers? Russo's fifteen, that is correct.
Speaker 2: I don't know who Bassie. Who's the other third number? Ray Davis, Ray Davis is wearing number single digit eight nine, No sevens and it was a single digit and I got to write them.
Speaker 1: And Tyler Bass is wearing number sixteen sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Joe Montana, Okay, we'll go with that. All right. That is the numbers game. We thought we'd have a little jersey fun with you.
Speaker 1: And also educate, educate our listeners because there's gonna be guys running around with different numbers that they're used to seeing, but not with those numbers on their back. So it'll be an exercise in refamiliarizing yourself with some players.
Speaker 2: I didn't do two.
Speaker 3: No, you did pretty good there too.
Speaker 1: Bad Time Now for our one burning question, what new player on defense do you believe will deliver the most signal magnificant impact this coming season?
Speaker 2: New player, I'm gonna say Chubb.
Speaker 3: Chubb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's gonna. I think he's gonna turn it up a notch. I think I think he's gonna respond to the culture. I think he's going to respond to the I think he's gonna be rejuvenated a little bit. I think they'll gload manage him right the right way. I think he's gonna like the way this feels in this city, the new stadium. I think that's going to give him some juice that he's had, hasn't had maybe for a handful of years. Although he's a really good player. Yeah, I think he's gonna I think he's gonna show up.
Speaker 3: I like that pick. I am going to go with c J. Gardner Johnson.
Speaker 1: I think he is the embodiment of the way and the attitude that the Bills want to play with on defense under Jim Leonard, and I think it comes naturally to him. I think he likes playing with a chip on his shoulder and to intimidate the opposition. And I think that's going to spider web out to the other players on defense with him kind of leading that charge, if.
Speaker 2: You will, I agree, it's hard to articulate why emotion is such a part of the league, and it is it always has been, and back in the seventies, late seventies, early eighties, and even through my career, you needed to dredge up some really hostile emotion to play the game. And a lot of guys struggle with that. Is you got a bunch of a team. It's the consummate team game, and you've got to do it together. And when you know you're with those guys who really buckle it up and they're ready to fist fight, you know the usher, you know who cares right, they'll fist fight the guy selling popcorn if they have to. They don't care. It elevates your ability to say, yeah, okay, I'm with you. Let's go, let's jump into this fight. I say this to a lot of moms. I don't want to get off on a tangent here, but I say this to a lot of moms who back ten years ago orever, when people were like, I don't know if I want my son to play football or listen, it's worth it when you're I'm telling you, I was on one of the best teams in the NFL for a stretch, and they were the hottest thing on wheels. But when you're down there on the field and you're stretching, get warm, warming up, and the other team comes out and they're down there warming up in their end. Even as you're an eight year old kid, it's the exact same as thirty year old pro football player. Those guys down there are like, they're scary. You don't know. Those guys you don't know. You don't know. They look big, they look strong, they look athletic. Man, I don't know. And as an eight year old kid, that's scary. But when you look around, you got your friends with you, it's like, well, we're going to take them on anyway.
Speaker 1: It's especially if you've got a guy that says I don't care how big they are, ye kicking their dairy air.
Speaker 3: That's all over this view.
Speaker 2: You need some you need one of your friends, one of your buddies, to gay come on, let's go you Yeah, okay. It's important. Even at the highest level of this sport, your emotions play a role, a big, important role in how well you attack the day and go in and compete. It's an important part of being a pro athlete. It's one of the It's one of the things that teaches young men courage. You gotta do it, whether it's gonna be fun or not, whether it's gonna hurt or not. You do it anyway because you've got guys and people, people you love and respect who depend on you. C. J. Gardner Johnson. It could be one of those fifths that bill.
Speaker 1: Our closing figure deals with the roster turnover from the twenty twenty five campaign. We often hear about how NFL rosters turnover twenty five to thirty percent on average from one year to the next, but how much has changed for the Bills. Well, the only off season roster to go off of at this time is the ninety one player roster that they currently have with the International Pathway player Travis Clayton. Allowing for one extra player. The Bills have fifty one new players on their ninety one player offseason roster, good for a fifty six percent roster turnover from last year.
Speaker 3: At this time.
Speaker 1: That is a fat number for roster turnover from one year to the next, but it is part of the influx of youth that GM Brandon Bean talked about, including twelve defensive players over the last two draft classes.
Speaker 3: That'll do it for this edition.
Speaker 1: Make sure you subscribe to our podcast on whatever platform you use so you know when our next episode is out, because when you need to know about the Bills, you need to check Bills by the numbers for Steve task Around, Chris Brown, thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: We'll catch you next time.
Speaker 1: Everybody, no