Speaker 1: Hey, there are folks. It is Saturday, November fifteenth, and did you catch it? In that bill that Congress signed to reopen the government, they actually closed your favorite weed shop. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ.
Speaker 2: Robes.
Speaker 1: This is a shocker, and folks better stock up right now, run out, get all the gummyes you can.
Speaker 3: There are so many of us who have grown accustomed now to legalized THHC products, marijuana products that are regulated that you know what you're getting and can be, according to a lot of doctors, a safer alternative to alcohol in many regards, and so a lot of this is a booming industry and we've gotten comfortable.
Speaker 2: There's a dispensary.
Speaker 3: Pretty much as many like on every block, as much as there are Starbucks now here in New York City, and they're beautiful and nice, and you have to go through all of the extensive.
Speaker 2: Like moments of you got to hand your idea. It's all legal.
Speaker 3: It all feels clean and nice and not dirty and gross in backdoor and black market, and that's what it used to be like, right when folks are trying to get marijuana, and so it's yeah, it's been elevated and legalized and actually convenient.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, Congress just shut it all down, folks. This is not this is not being alarmist. This is not just writing a click baity headline. Yes, when the government, when Congress voted to reopen the government, in that bill, there was something else in there that effectively eliminates the marijuana or the hemp, the THHC, the gummy industry that everybody has grown to become accustomed to too that you just talked about ropes. This is a bill that was supposed like everybody's paying attention to it. We see so many times if things get tucked in there, something will slid into some bill last minute, and this is one of those things. What was the other one we talked about that five hundred thousand dollars they could they gave themselves permission to sue. This is something else now that was slid in there. We don't exactly know who, and nobody's taking responsibility. But folks, what it does is close a loophole in the Farm Bill from twenty eighteen that now would make all of your favorite gummies, edibles, baked goods, vapes, thac infused beverages topical oils creams obsolete. They would be illegal if this thing goes into effect. I guess the one upside robes is that it's not going into effect immediately.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's supposed to take effect in one year. And this hidden provision, yes, criminalizes nearly all consumable.
Speaker 2: Hemp products across this country. Doesn't matter what state you live in.
Speaker 3: Doesn't even matter if you live in Colorado, probably the most hemp friendly state in this country.
Speaker 2: You are all and we are all under.
Speaker 3: This same ban, this provision, So it prohibits products here's the specific language that contain more than point four milligrams of THHC per items. To give you an example, most products contain fifty to one hundred milligrams per container, so a single edible typically is five to ten milligrams. Again, this ban, or this the measure that was put in the bill, only allows point four milligrams of THHC. That pretty much eliminates every single product on the market right now that these dispensaries are selling.
Speaker 1: And a question why would they do this? Some wonder, I don't know what, question why this was the moment to do this? But rogues I when we talk about the Republicans and Democrats trying to blame each other, trying to see who comes out with a political advantage during the shutdown. They're worried about who's going to get blamed, who's gonna get blamed now for taking away everybody's weed tac gummies like this. This was buried, it's coming out now. But folks, what we are talking about, these are folks. Look people like to get high. We know folks got something in to pocket, something in the system all day long. Fine, but there are a lot of folks, and older folks in particular, this is an alternative, an alternative to a lot of medicines. And this is not just about people who just want to get high, correct.
Speaker 3: I mean, yes, of course there's the recreational users, but there are medicinal users and folks rely on this if you have cancer treatments, if you have a lot of issues, auto immune disorders.
Speaker 2: If you have chronic pain.
Speaker 3: Marijuana and hemp has been a safe alternative to a lot of drugs and fewer side effects. Some would argue, so this is going to have serious implications for folks who just like to have fun and folks who actually are trying to take away pain or try to This can be an appetite stimulant. There are a lot of reasons why it is is something that doctors have prescribed and have actually preferred to other traditional medicines, or even like I said, people will turn to alcohol. Instead of avoiding alcohol, you can turn to marijuana as a safer alternative.
Speaker 1: So I mean, at this point, we really don't know. So we got a year. The argument a so why make it a year where they're trying to give maybe the industry an opportunity and time to pivot to adjust. But there are some who tell you there is nothing we can't adjust too. There was a way one hemp producer put it, this is an extinction level event. This industry cannot continue with the way it is. However, Robes it is not just a matter they give them a year to And this is what called me down. And I say call me down not because I'm going to be in some way harmed if the hemp industry goes away. But this is a multi billion dollar industry, almost thirty billion dollars a year in this country.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot of jobs, yes, three thousand jobs.
Speaker 1: So the thing that they put us is it's not a year until the band goes into a place. I said, look at it like this, it's a year for us to figure out how to properly regulate this industry.
Speaker 3: And let's hope that's true, because yes, I think everybody in terms of especially when you're dealing with a substance that can do harm and do good, you want to have regulations. I think that's what makes people feel safe going into a dispensary, is they're not just they don't they know what they're getting, and that feels better than obviously what other people have turned to in the black market. But you mentioned twenty eight point four billion dollar industry in this country. We meant three hundred thousand jobs. This measure, if it is allowed to take effect, will wipe out ninety five percent of the industry and will cost states one point five billion dollars in tax revenue. Think about the tax revenue the states that have legalized marijuana now in THHC.
Speaker 2: They are bringing in billions.
Speaker 3: Of dollars collectively. And there is one senator who sounded the alarm. I did see this actually right before they voted on the measure to reopen the government. I actually didn't think it was going to stay, and Senator Ran Paul was refusing to sign the bill because of this hidden measure. He wanted to take the language out of the Senate bill, but the Senate overwhelmingly voted against Senator Paul's amendment to try and take this out. So there are a lot of you know, lawmakers who are up for reelection. They believe their constituents don't want legalized marijuana in their states, and so a lot of these senators presumably voted with.
Speaker 2: That in mind.
Speaker 1: I don't know where the debate is going on, right they I mean, yeah, maybe in their districts. They need to be seen as being anti marijuana if you will, and I know a lot of folks will point to this as some kind of a gateway drug where it leads to problems in people's lives and they can't function during the day. Look, those things are legit, but it's got to be balanced out in some way. You can't just and I don't think they will as we looked into this more. Yes, this is real, folks. If they don't do something, every all of it's going away. If they don't do something, I have to believe they're going to do something about this. Yes, I just don't understand why this was necessary in this moment. Maybe this is something that wouldn't have normally gotten approval, and you slide it in here now, last minute during an emergency. Who's going to vote against it? Now kind of a thing because we've got to get the government reopened. This is just the timing of this is shitty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there was too much on the line for them to get hung up on something like this. And again, as Congress typically does, they kick the can down the road and say we'll deal with this later. But I can't imagine what it's like if you have invested. I just think about all the dispensaries that have opened up. We can only speak here it to New York City, but we actually know some of the folks who they family businesses. This is they have put their investments into these companies that are now in limbo, and that's got to be a very scary thing. One of the dispensary owners I plucked a quote because I just thought it was so well put. He said, the widespread ramifications of killing an entire industry that brings in this much money, that employs this many people. That brings that kind of relief to that many people.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a dirty trick to pull on folks, especially so quickly. Most people did not see this coming.
Speaker 1: Well, no, they claim they do, and I want to I mean, I want to say folks are doing it in good faith or have their hearts in the right place. And some people do believe this is something that kids shouldn't have as much access to. This isn't something that most Americans should have that easy access to for whatever reasons. Yes, doctors might feel differently, individuals might feel differently. I'm trying to at least not These aren't bad actors necessarily, and the timing is bizarre, But if folks have a legit reason, then this is a debate we should have now at this moment to do that. So now to your point about that the dispensaries stressing out, Yes, a whole industry for a year for what.
Speaker 2: I mean, Yeah, I was just trying to imagine. You can't pivot. There is no other alternative for these folks.
Speaker 3: So that's tough, and it, I don't know, it reminds me of prohibition when you have our government try and whatever their morality is whatever they think is right or wrong, and they're trying to impose that now on the country as a whole. A lot of folks argue, a lot of senators have argued this, and it has been a state by state issue. Let the states decide what is right for that community because it is different. Think about the difference between a state like Texas and a state like Colorado. I mean, they just have very different opinions on how to view this specific industry.
Speaker 2: And let that be the case.
Speaker 3: But to have a federal, you know, widespread ban on this is just gutting. There's no other way to put it for these folks.
Speaker 1: And that's what we talk about the stock market in this a lot of time. But what do they hate? Uncertainty they now for the next year, Like, how can you plan out your your your supplies, how can you plan out your rent, your lease, your employees. You can't do anything because based on what they did, everybody needs to right now be winding down and getting ready to shut down their businesses in a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, it makes me a little concerned about what the debate is going to be. We heard from Senator Mitch McConnell and his big point was, Hey, these companies, these dispensaries have exploited this loophole on the twenty eighteen Farm bill.
Speaker 2: And he said, by.
Speaker 3: Taking legal amounts of THHC from hemp and turning it into intoxicating substances. This was not intended to create a consumable pot market.
Speaker 1: But here we are now, But it was an unintended consequence. Here we are. Are you really going to take it all back? You're gonna shut down, hey, multi billion dollars industry. Okay, look he feels that way. Wasn't he the head of very much bearheading the farm bell Yes, Mish McConnell. Yes, So the guy who gave this to us is now trying to take it away.
Speaker 3: And they say that So this loophole, they say, have fueled the quote rapid growth of an underregulated industry that threatens public health and safety and undermines law enforcement nationwide. Okay, So I think all of us would be in favor of a regulated market, a more regulated market.
Speaker 2: Tax it, tax the heck out of it.
Speaker 3: This, you know, I think that's great if we can find, you know, some positives, make sure that's safe, make sure it's uniform. People know what they're getting and states benefit it benefit from it financially. So people can benefit from it medicinally and states can benefit from it financially.
Speaker 2: But yes, regulation is important and key to all of it.
Speaker 1: But folks, stay here, some of you all, I guess most of us at this point no what the impact the effects of marijuana could be. But there are some side effects they list as well. One in particular jumped out at us. We'll share that with you also. As many of you will know, Amy Robock has an oncologist. Wait until you hear what she told her patient, Amy Roboch, about using marijuana and alcohol given her health. Stay here, all right, folks, we continue here on this Saturday, November fifteenth. I do believe it is maybe some of you are on the way to your weed shop now and stocking up. You left the house during the commercial break there so you could and look, some people are telling you absolutely stock up on everything you can because we don't know what's going to happen. Yes, the provision tucked into that continuing resolution that reopened the government is actually going to close down of actively the marijuana industry in this country ropes date. So I'll go ahead, you trying to jump. Oh no, you're about to say something.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I'm I'm actually laughing at just how easy it's become. You can order gummies, beverages that are enhanced with THHC, pretty much any kind of THHD product here in this city. Uh, you go online, it's delivered to your front door. I mean, they this has been a huge evolution in accessibility and.
Speaker 2: And just again the uniformity.
Speaker 3: If you know you're getting their specific brands, it all feels legal, nothing feels scary or wrong.
Speaker 2: And look, I don't know. I mean I get some of the.
Speaker 3: Arguments about they don't want this introduced to folks. As you mentioned, potential gateway drug. I heard that all growing up my whole life. You know, marijuana is a gateway drug. But then what about alcohol? I mean, I just I feel where does it end? Where does it stop? How do you how do you police what people choose to use to make themselves feel better?
Speaker 2: Period?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: You police it by sneaking this provision into a government spending bill. I was there with you. Look, we've been trying for and we have cut back on alcohol. There's nothing out there that comes out that says one drop of alcohol is good for you. We all know there's no safe amount of alcohol.
Speaker 2: There is no safe amount.
Speaker 1: Let's just cut back and that has been good and healthy for us and we feel better and all that's great. I was with you in one of your doctor's appointments in which she was I don't think she was getting onto you at the time, but talking about your health and moving forward and what you should put in your body. You told she was asking you how much alcohol. Her answer didn't surprise me about the alcohol. I was surprised at just how much of a cheerleader and advocate she was for marijuana.
Speaker 2: Yes, she said.
Speaker 3: She was like Amy, put down the glass of wine at night, pop yourself a marijuana gummy. It is significantly less risky for you to do that, to unwind at the end of the night than it is to have any kind of alcohol as a breast cancer survivor. And so there is an absolute link between alcohol consumption and breast cancer recurrence and breast cancer just in general, a lot of cancers. There is a direct correlation between drinking and cancer period and so it's really interesting when your oncologist tells you enjoy a gummy. You know, obviously nothing in excess, but in moderation, this is a much safer alternative for you amy to have a marijuana gummy than it is for you to have a margarita.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's not just a matter we have to say that. Sometimes people make jokes and I saw a couple clever headlines and the rioting industry going up in smoke and stuff like that. It's okay, fine, we get all that, but this is much more to this and what this can do and the health of the country that is going to impact. Because you have people on both sides saying this will be good for the health of the country. Some will say it'll be bad for the health of the country. The answer has to be somewhere in between. But I'm okay with the regulation. You speak up if we see it that way. But why couldn't we say that. Why couldn't we say, hey, guys, we are going to come up with a way to regulate this industry. We're going to introduce a bill to do so, and then we can all debate about it. You just told them we're going to shut it down. There is no alternative right now, there is no We're going to shut it down and then we'll talk and they're just shut it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's happening, and it's interesting too. I just this is just I'm telling you, it's so interesting the trends.
Speaker 3: And I don't know that they've done a widespread study on this, but I just know from Anali's who is nineteen, she's got a lot of friends who's moms, and they all say, oh, my mom loves this gummy or that gummy. It's become instead of who used to hear, oh a woman, you know, in the afternoon to online having a glass of wine and watching, you know, a show. Now you have people popping a gummy and going about their day and just being a little bit more cheerful, a little bit more relaxed, a little less anxious. And I've just heard from so many people my age it's trending significantly. So I have a feeling people are going to be in an uproar about this being now illegal and unavailable, yep, because I don't think a lot of people have heard about this. This is just recreational, This is just you know, just to relax whatever. But this is actually very beneficial for a lot of folks. According to WebMD, if you think about what THC can do. It can control vomiting for folks undergoing chemotherapy, reduce pain for people who have nerve damage, cancer, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis.
Speaker 2: It can reduce muscle.
Speaker 3: Spasms in folks who have MS. It improves sleep for people who have sleep issues. It can increase I mentioned the appetite for people who have HIV and AIDS, people who just need to be eating. It can reduce ticks in people who have Tourette syndrome. It can reduce anxiety in people who have social anxiety disorder, and it improves symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder. So there are really it's so interesting me that it's been so vilified when there are so many benefits.
Speaker 2: And you think about any drug.
Speaker 3: And I have been on plenty of them through my cancer treatments, they all have side effects. This has the least amount that I can imagine having taken anything else for pain management or for anxiety, for any of the other issues that can come up when you have a chronic illness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all those things you listed the benefits of them, I mean you listed ten plus things over right over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the other one is it can reduce your stress level.
Speaker 2: Yes, you are.
Speaker 1: You worried about your bills, You worried about your lights getting cut off, you worried about them coming to repo? Yoka, go ahead, Papa.
Speaker 2: Gummy, It's just not going to matter. You just won't be a stressing It gives you instant perspective. I will tell you.
Speaker 3: I kind of chuckled because they list the side effects in web MD.
Speaker 2: Among them euphoria.
Speaker 1: That's a side effect.
Speaker 2: That's a relaxation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, side effect.
Speaker 3: Now the bad one is impaired memory. There can be confusion, poor muscle coordination. So I guess you could potentially more likely to fall dry mouth.
Speaker 1: But they listed those together side effects, so a negative, right, it's supposed to be euphoria, Yes.
Speaker 3: Side effects Euphoria it says strong sense of happiness.
Speaker 2: Or well being.
Speaker 1: That's a side effects.
Speaker 2: That's a side effect.
Speaker 3: Altered senses, brighter colors, stronger odors, so you have a sharpened you have sharpened senses then, or yeah you do, You're everything's kind of triggered in his Yes, you know.
Speaker 1: Those commercials, those uh prescription drug commercials where they say, ah, there's somebody's sitting on a hill. The sun and the pool and all that stuff. And they always have to legally list the side effects because diarrhea, cramping and all kinds of suicide.
Speaker 3: Effects could include euphoria, a strong sense of happiness or well.
Speaker 1: Imagine listing that on a marijuana.
Speaker 2: Also possible relaxation or sleepiness.
Speaker 1: What makes you forgetful?
Speaker 2: It does?
Speaker 3: It can make you forgetful, impaired memory and thinking, confusion and disoriented.
Speaker 1: It could cause you to forget your problems. It's another way to put it. Hey, anyway, this was an interesting one. This I would wager. Now they will fix this, find a way to fix it, and maybe they will make the industry better. The other part of that, if it gets better, it gets more regulated, then it might get more expensive, it might be in shorter supply. But I don't think it's a bad thing to have better regulation. I just hate that they did this last second, sneak it in there, and the industry is like what the yeah? What?
Speaker 3: Like the one dispense free owner said it was a dirty trick, and it was a hidden, dirty trick. So we hope they fix it. You know that we're going to keep our eye on this. This is something that we will be following, but we wanted to make sure you knew about it because a lot of folks have no clue that this got slipped into that spending though, so we will keep you updated, but for now, thank you so much for listening to us, every one. I made me Robock alongside TJ. Holmes, have a great weekend bacation.