Speaker 1: Episode three twenty one, The Enneagram and Your Spending.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and live your life. Here your hosts, Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast. My name is Jen, my name is Jill. And for all you anagram nerds out there, this one's for you. It is truly out of our comfort zone, but we are excited to talk about how your enneagram impacts your spending.
Speaker 3: And for those of you who don't know what an enneagram is, it's just essentially a personality profiling system that rate gives you a different number from one to nine.
Speaker 4: There's a whole lot of deep dives you can take into the anagram.
Speaker 3: Chances are if you're listening to this episode for this very reason, you may as you might know more about the anagram than Jen and I do. Neither one of us are experts on it, neither one of us are trained, certified any A Graham coaches or whatever the certifications are that you can get.
Speaker 1: But that might offend you if you are super into the But we'll talk about why we are not into it as we go along. It's not bad. But you'll get our take on personality tests in general. But first, this episode is brought to you by wings. Yeah. Oh if if you're an any Graham nerd, you already know the double meaning there wings like the wings that knowledge gives you. But who has time for knowledge? You do? You're here now listening and searching for knowledge and motivation to improve your life and full lie to new heights, and we want to give you more for free. Are newly designed and reimagine newsletter that you guys voted on and named The Friend Letter. Launches July tenth. It's like a text from your best friend when she finds a freebie or a life hack that's saving her life right now, but an email form. So it's three times a week. Mondays we're going to tell you what companies are giving away freebies or where you may be able to find freebies in your area. Wednesdays all about saving tips challenges on one budget category each week, And Fridays you're gonna get sent into the weekend with some spending psychology mental shortcuts to help you say no to the things you don't value and emphatic yeses to the things you love. So if you want to save more, spend less, and give wings to your financial goals just five minutes a day. Head to Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash friend letter right now so you don't miss the first edition.
Speaker 4: Jen, I have.
Speaker 3: Taken off get it to plan the word wings, but also I know it is the most animated I have ever seen you.
Speaker 4: I felt I.
Speaker 1: Was watching you as I read it, and I got more animated because I saw your face.
Speaker 3: I felt like I was listening to you practice your reading for an upcoming audition. Like all of a sudden, we're into the world of Gen's trying to be an actress.
Speaker 1: I'm in my voice acting era.
Speaker 4: Oh that was good.
Speaker 3: I can't say I paid attention to much other than your level of excitement, but the gist is good.
Speaker 4: Get the Friend Letter, Yeah, my friend.
Speaker 1: Srugal Friends podcast dot com slash friend letter. You're gonna love it. It's brand spank and new. You're already on our email list. Don't worry, You're already in there, You're already signed up. You're already going to get it. But if you have not gotten an email from us, or have unsubscribed because you're trying to clear out your inbox. I get it, but resubscribe because we're gonna you're gonna want to see our email in amidst all of those sales emails that you're getting, because you're going to click on our email instead of the sales email, so you can get saving tips and not be tempted to spend. Yes, all right, So before we get into enneagram, some episodes you might want to cue up for after this episode two seventy nine Tips to avoid impulse spending. There is no personality type that's more prone to impulse spending than another. We'll talk about that more. Uh So two seventy nine talks about impulse spending how to avoid it. And then episode two sixty how to cut back on emotional spending. That was a rerun that we did with Leslie Pain. And again, no personality type is safer from emotional spending than another. So I mean, there is no personality type, gender, income that is more prone to these types of things than other people. And that's what we really want to get across to you while offering some fun anecdotes that you you know, everybody loves knowing more about themselves and being unique from other people, and so we're gonna we're going to give that to you. Don't worry. We're going to give that to you and make you feel real good about yourself today and maybe show you some places you can improve well, but mostly feel good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we always want you to leave here feeling good. So this first article comes from Truity, and it talks about your Enneagram type and your financial habits. There's a specific survey that they did that we want to talk through, but I first want to give a little bit more of my caveat here, just so you know who's talking to you as we look at the internet here. It had always come as a surprise to a lot of people, even now friends and my clients working in the mental health space, that I'm not all in on a deep understanding of the Enneagram. I'm aware of it, I've taken the test. I will talk with people about it, but only to the extent that it is useful and helpful for people.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: I view the Enneagram and other types of personality tests, the Myers Briggs, or even things like diagnoses as tools ways to understand ourselves. But for me, I've not gone all in on one.
Speaker 4: Thing and built an entire life and world around that.
Speaker 3: And that's okay if that is what people choose to do again, if it's helpful for them and under standing themselves and their relationships. But I think as it relates to finances, if you are a person who really connects with your aneagram type, you love the anagram, then this can be useful to understand what is it about me and my personality and the way that I'm wired that is going to give me like impact my finances.
Speaker 4: How what are my.
Speaker 3: Propensities when it comes to spending and saving, and how can understanding your eneagram be useful to shifting some of the things in a more beneficial way as you aim at well being. But that's kind of my that's probably the overarching view you're going to hear from me Jill throughout here on how an anyagram relates to this. Like, I'm not all in, but I'm also not thinking, Oh, the Aneagram's awful. Obviously we're doing a podcast episode on it. But also I'm not an expert on this. I know you can take deep dives, you can understand your wings, you can be a number and wing this way and wing that way, and there's a certain way you are in hell and a certain way you are in quote unquote unhealth.
Speaker 4: And we're not going to take all that deep dive.
Speaker 3: Just how does your understanding your personality help you understand the way you approach finances?
Speaker 4: That's where we're going.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, we don't want to really get nitty gritty because a there's nine types in each of two wings. But so we can't we don't have the time. But the personality types are not excuses for you to act one way or another. They can give you permission to feel things you've already felt, but they shouldn't give you permission to do things that are not good for other people. I'll just I'll kind of like leave it at that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and see would say likewise too, Yeah, no, saying removes you from personal responsibility.
Speaker 1: So now you have that out of the way.
Speaker 3: And of course people who are super into the enneagram are like evaluating our responses that are like yeah, yeah, so sorry, that's the eight And you, of course you're being a challenger, like I have a niagram is in.
Speaker 1: You have the story for later. We'll save it for later, but it is a tragic Enneagram story for any every Aniagram nerd should hear it.
Speaker 3: Many of my close friends are super into this, and I love them and I love the ways that they are implementing. But yeah, so this truity survey that they did, they served fifty eight thousand people, which definitely meets Jen's standards.
Speaker 1: Of well that and they probably surveyed people that are into personality tests, not into just financial topics. I don't like it when finance websites survey their subscribers because they have already a bias, so that this you can this is a third party, neutral like place where they surveyed these people. So I do really trust this particular survey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're just going to go through the top results that the survey found before we get into our next article and talk about the deeper aspects of how each Enneagram type intersects with money behaviors.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we'll go through It's not a lot of results, but we'll go through the financial trends by Aneagram type. So the first one is most likely to stress out stress about having enough money for the future. So most types claimed that their biggest financial stressor was spending money when they shouldn't. But there are three types that reported the other response that they were stressed about not having enough money. So this is the type that kind of leads more towards hoarding money and not living their life. So this is probably going to be a lot of our listeners that love to save, save, save, and find this guilt almost when they spend money. So these three types are.
Speaker 4: Like a drum run.
Speaker 1: Yes, Type one, five and six those are and that's because ones are very rule following, so they're probably more inclined to fear not being responsible enough with their finances. Fives often fear they won't have enough resources, which may drive this fear of not being able to sustain themselves. And then lastly six is likely leave you money as a component of security, which is why they fear they won't have enough of it.
Speaker 4: So there you have it on that one.
Speaker 3: The next trend that they found was Enneagram three is most likely to report they were very motivated by money, very motivated in quotes, probably highlighted and underlined. So type threes are the achievers. Each type has kind of this title that goes along with it, and of course there's so much you can read about each type, but type threes are known to be the achievers. There's a lot that that means, but that they were most likely to report that they felt very motivated by money, with forty one percent claiming that it was an important driver in their decision making. Of course, threes who are historically achievers can be intensely focused on obtaining success, so of course it makes sense that their salaries and savings is one of those ways to define that level of accomplishment and achieving by having a big salary, a hefty bank account, maybe even saying yes to certain things just because of the monetary amount attached to a job or or doing xyz.
Speaker 4: Is yeah, motivated by money?
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: All right, so the next one is most likely to report they were not motivated by money. That's all drum roll. Type four So money isn't everything, but it does help us do more. That's what the article says. The type that was most likely to say they weren't motivated at altar and we're fours. The individualists are not materialistic and are perhaps more comfortable defining themselves by their uniqueness and not their paychecks.
Speaker 4: So beautiful people.
Speaker 1: Trudy also has an infographic about these financial habits, and while it says fours are the most likely to report they're not motivated by money at all. Nines are the least likely to say money is a very important motivator in their lives. So I would say four, four, and nine are pretty similar on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the next statistic on here, where it said twenty three percent splurge the most on media like streaming and gaming. The ones who answered in that way was anyagram number five, So this does kind of line up with what they describe. Aniagram fives are kind of very deep in thought, maybe a little bit more isolating, introverted type. Where they are spending most of their discretionary cash at least is the way that they're reporting on things like media, music, streaming, gaming, that's where most That's where those who are anagram fives reported spending most of their splurges on.
Speaker 1: Instead of like clothing and travel in dining, which is what other types are more likely to spend their discretionary cash. So all right, and then the last one for this article, we're going to spend much more time in the next one. Forty four percent said they were happiest about experience purchases. So it's not just all millennials who prioritize experiences over things, but it's especially millennials that are drumroll please, type seven. So every other type besides sevens said they were most happy with purchases they made that were useful true to their personality, as inventurers. Sevens claim experience purchases were their best use of funds. So I do trust this survey, but I also will say the caveat is that I assume most of these people already know their Enneagram and have been told so if they got seven, they were told they value experiences over things, and so they're living into that. But also taking into consideration they took a test and told the test that they enjoy experiences. So it's like what came first, the chicken or the egg, the personality or the personality test? Who knows, but we're gonna hope that the personality came first.
Speaker 3: And if you are an Enneagram type two and eight and you did not hear your number called out in these survey results, blame truity. But also we'll get into our next article. They didn't hear specific things on you know, like most likely too, but we're gonna talk about each type in the night.
Speaker 1: They do have it in the infographic. Oh do they so, yeah, so type two, but they just didn't come with like any percentages or anything. But two's spend the most discretionary cash on clothing and dining. So you eat good and you look good. Twos, thank you, and you just are good people.
Speaker 3: Twos two's are the most interested in the in the enneagram because they.
Speaker 4: Are the best people.
Speaker 3: So they're the ones who are like, yeah, yeah, yeah, we love the enneagram. What's your Enneagram number? And it's really because two is like the epitome of being a good human. So you know, the Enneagram's great for them because it reveals such beautiful things about them. For the rest of us who are told we're like a three. She's talking to pennicular two. I mean, Sharon Mangham, I see you any two that have ever met. They're selfless, they care about others, they're great friends. They're not money motivated. They're up there with Mother Teresa. Mother Teresa is a.
Speaker 1: Two, but like a good looking mother Teresa with like nice clothes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we don't know what Mother Teresa looked like in her twenties.
Speaker 1: We kind of do, I think some people do. Yeah, and then eights, So they're grouped in with threes. Eights and threes are the most likely types to earn six figures or more per year. So hey girl, hey we will yes, all right, So those are the survey responses. Those are the results. So let's dig into our next article, how to improve your finances based on your Enneagram type. And this comes to us from Dollar sprout Man, but more specifically, Jen Jen, I wrote, comes from Jen. Yeah, I wrote it four dollars. Yeah, I wrote it four dollars sprout.
Speaker 4: So while we're not experts, we are researchers.
Speaker 1: Yes. So I didn't say I was totally unfamiliar with the Enneagram. I just don't. I'm not obsessed with it. But I was really interested in discovering the correlation between personality types and spending and budgeting. So what did you think of this article, Jill? Be honest, I.
Speaker 4: Thought it was amazing so good. Wow.
Speaker 3: No, truly though, I think that it gave a really great overview. First of all, it does come with an infographic, which we all love. We love pictures. That really kind of gives an overview of each Enneagram type and what that type means for your spending. But then you give just a really digestible segment on each one of these Enneagram types. How does this Enneagram type relate to money? And then what does that mean about spending and saving? And maybe one or two things that that type could try in order to improve their spending and the way that they spend. So we're going to go through all of them so that all of you really quickly and known number one the reformer aka the budget lover. If we were to describe each of these Enneagram types in a different way than their typical title, So ones tend to be rational, self controlled, maybe even airing on the side of perfectionists. They may suppress their own needs and desires to show others that they have it all together. They may also suffer from a harsh inner critic, and so this very kind of black and white view of the world can make them really good at budgeting. That kind of perfectionist thing helps you to really do.
Speaker 4: Really well on the spreadsheets, which is great.
Speaker 3: But so the drive for perfection can motivate the one to stay under budget in every single category. And I like some of the examples that you give throughout here. This one girl Brittany shared in Our Family Budget, My husband and I each have one hundred dollars to spend as discretionary money every month. I have a hard time spending my money. I'm not a one, but I can relate to this. So one of the things that type ones can do to improve their spending is by making sure that their budgets include the things that they value, giving themselves permission to spend money on them, and that that coincides with that kind of harsh inner critic being able to speak kindly to yourself, learning what that looks like, and being able to give yourself permission to spend, especially if it's attached to the things that you value. We've got plenty of other episodes on identifying how to learn what you value so that you can keep finding that permission for yourself.
Speaker 1: Yes, number two is the helper aka the giver. So two's are the best people in the world. They are caring, helpful, relationship oriented, and their desire to be needed and appreciate that appreciated lead them to generously give money and time to family, friends, and causes they care about. So when done well, this is genuinely helpful. But you do if you were too. You have to start evaluating the people and causes you want to support, because if you are not taking care of yourself, so investing for retirement for kids college fun a two parent probably doesn't have to be told to give to their kids college from but especially your retirement and being intentional with your time to make sure that you are working to increase your income and working on your own career. Make sure you were taking time and energy for those things before. You are helping other people, and you may not be able to help everybody to the extent that you want, but make sure you are. Once you take care of you, you are taking care of the thing that you care most about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twos can hemorrhage kindness to the point where it can hurt themselves. So yeah, really keeping track of what's it costing you and are you being sure to care for yourself in the process.
Speaker 4: The next one.
Speaker 3: Number, Threes are the achievers or maybe the status spenders. Threes are historically goal oriented, driven, adaptive, wanting to achieve. Maybe threes prefer to spend money on things that might impress or increase their status or kind of how they're going to appear to others and even maybe themselves as well. Whatever they perceive as achieving and achieving those goals. So threes who spend money to maintain an image of success and luxury can run the risk of racking up a lot of debt, especially if their income doesn't keep up with their lifestyle.
Speaker 4: So if this is.
Speaker 3: You and your A three, you can improve your finances and you're spending by tracking your income, what are you actually bringing in and following a spending plan. Now that won't be too hard for an achiever because achieving that goal around money is also very possible for A three, So that's they've got that going for them. But making sure to incorporate your savings goals into your monthly budget as well as lifestyle goals so you can value luxury things. You can value whatever aligns with you being A three, but ensuring that it fits within your spending plan and the income you're bringing in regularly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, achievers also have to be aware of buying like things with money versus by like buying your time so that you can spend more time on the things that don't cost money. So while it's great to achieve, achieve, achieve goals, there are some things that you will miss if you are so consumed with those goals, and so that is a point of unhealth. If you get too consumed with your goals and achievement, you miss out on other things.
Speaker 4: So inability to celebrate along the way.
Speaker 1: Cann yeah, yeah, all right. Number four is the individualist, aka the emotional spender. Now, every type of personality spends emotionally in some way or another. Fores are idealistic, expressive, original, always searching for what's missing, either internally or in the relationships. And many express themselves well through art. And then because of the sense that there's this void to fill, fors can sometimes be more prone to emotional spending, so buying things to make you feel happy or validated, so buying things as a treat after a successful day or a long day, or for vacation. So find ways to express yourself that do not cause do not cost money. If you're a four, So if you are prone to go on shopping sprees when you are feeling heightened emotions, whether they're positive organ at negative, decide now what kind of free ways you want to express yourself or celebrate those things, so that you're not always spent over spending every time emotions kind of go up or down.
Speaker 3: So yeah, utilize that creativity to find other outlets.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: Number fives are the investigators or the deal seekers. Fives are often analytical, innovative, and can often isolate, so they're motivated by gaining knowledge improving self sufficiency to protect themselves and their resources from uncertainty. Fives are naturally great at budgeting kind of understanding how to allocate resources, but when they do have to spend money, sometimes their attention to detail and research skills make them great at optimizing every dollar. But sometimes it can be just for the sake of the deal. And so one of the things that fives will need to be paying attention to to improve spending is really evaluating the purchase, whether it's actually a need or aligns with your values or has been a part of the plan, or if it's just a great deal. You can save a lot of money with a good deal, but not spending money can save even more so just being aware of what is the motivator behind spending right now? Is it just because it's a really good dealer, Is it actually something that's within the plan, something I need or want or aligned.
Speaker 4: With my values. So that's what the fives can focus on I can.
Speaker 1: I can also see fives getting very deep into travel hacking, like having twenty credit cards and knowing which card does what where and max optimizing travel hacking points to like hundreds of thousands of points and then yeah, being really good at that. So we're feeling like going to.
Speaker 3: Curse failure if you didn't optimize it all you oh yeah something and you didn't get the deal because you are so analytical and innovative and research driven that sometimes that can be a pain point.
Speaker 4: But again, give yourself permission. It's okay if you yeah, do all of the things. Uh.
Speaker 1: Six is the loyalist aka the saver. So sixes are hard working, responsible, and trustworthy. They are loyal to a fault and will fiercely defend the people they care about. Sixes believe that if anything can go wrong, it will, and it's that belief that leads them to enjoy saving their money more than any other personality type. So says here the six is well I wrote it, but I in my research I found the six is the only aneagram type that has two variants when it comes to how they deal with fear. So phobic sixes are loyal to systems and belief and run from fear. Counter Phobic sixes are loyal to the idea that all systems and beliefs should be questioned and they'll seek out things they fear in hopes of conquering them, which seems so opposite but is the same type, which is crazy. But interviewed one a nyagram six that said, I tend to save and prep for some downturn I know is coming. My counterphobic nature has also led me to seek financial security through alternative investments that are on the fringe. So it's kind of this like if you felt like you have this kind of like bipolarism with money, that's actually very normal for a type six. So the best advice that we can give give is, if you're a six, find comfort doing the math to determine how prepared you really are. Use an emergency fund calculator. Prepare, but also don't go off the deep end. So evaluate what your actions are. Don't be too fearful, don't be too risky, or if you want to be a little risky, make sure it's in proportion to what you already have saved. So if you're taking five percent of your money into very risky investments. That's fine because it's five percent of your money, but don't be doing with fifty percent.
Speaker 4: Number sevens. You're the enthusiast. You know who you are.
Speaker 3: If you're a seven, you know it through and through aka the impulsive spender. Sevens are spontaneous, busy, optimistic, They are fun. Holy smokes, if there's a seven in the room, you know it. They have enthusiasm for adventure, they love trying new things. But also because of the sevens can bore easily, which can lead them to spend impulsively on travel or new experiences. And so keeping this in mind is going to be key for the seven in spending better that if you are in Enneagram seven, you can improve your spending by defining your why and using that as motivation. If you can really connect to some of the core of what you want out of life or even this season, that can really help you to stick to whatever your current spending plan is, not to the exclusion of fun and spontaneity, but really keying into the fact that that's something that you value and making sure that there's room for that. I do think sevens can really relate to and resonate with find comfort in a values based spending plan. So figure out what that looks like for you, and give yourself space within that spending plan for some of that.
Speaker 1: Spontaneity and impulsive spending is not the enemy necessarily. If you are somebody who loves spontaneity, you don't have to bury that part of yourself to be a conscious consumer. You can budget for spontaneity. You can have a sinking fund that is that you put money away for that's just like, you know what, when when something last minute comes up and I really want to do it, or there's a last minute sale on something that I really want, this is my sinking fund for spontaneity, so that I don't have to have every little thing planned out because that's not super fun either. But so yeah, don't push down that spontaneous impulsivity, just have control over it. Next is eight the challenger aka the stock piler. Eights are self confident, decisive, and protective of others. Type eight personalities value being in control of their situation, which leads many of them to desire financial independence. That desire can also lead to stockpiling things that make them less reliant on other people. So eights are always prepared to spend money on keeping their pantry stock, buying tools for DIY projects, YadA YadA. As an eight, you may benefit from becoming more inter dependent. So you've got independent down. Let's focus on community. Let's focus on taking the un comfortable step to ask some like ask your people if you can borrow something that you need before immediately going to buy it on the internet. See if any like join a buy nothing group to share what you have, uh, and to accept things from other people, knowing that it is not charity. Not all acceptance of gifts are charity. But being interdependent on each other doesn't make you weaker, it makes you stronger. So that's for.
Speaker 4: Aids mm hmm.
Speaker 3: If you're an eighth though, you probably aren't even into the enneagram.
Speaker 4: You may not even be listening to this. The challengers they're just like, yeah, figure it out.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna keep that, keep that in your mind for later the story.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna Okay, last, but certainly not least, you number nines. You're also so amazing, you peacemakers.
Speaker 4: You're not as into the enneagram.
Speaker 3: As my two's over here, because the nines are just like whatever you all think I am and how you see the world. Okay, you are the people pleasers. That doesn't mean necessarily that you're pushovers, but you are easy going inclusive can sometimes be indecisive. Nines will definitely put others' needs and desires first to keep the peace. They may even suppress, sometimes even not fully knowingly, their desires or feelings. This was interesting. I did not know this about nines, but that suppression can sometimes be in the form of food or drink or entertainment, which makes you fun. Nines tend to have difficulty saying no and often agree to things they don't want to do, which include spending money. So nines may go to dinner or on vacation or anywhere else with their friends and family without maybe considering if that's what they actually want to do or what they want to spend their money on. So, if you are a nine again going to come back to that values based spending, consider really exploring your own desires, needs, wants, and what you actually are interested in spending money in when and how and how much and come to a really clear understanding of yourself in that way, and then practice exerting a little bit more autonomy in decision making around finances. This is not easily done, especially for our nines, so taking small steps in this way would be the recommendation. Start with your closest friends, maybe than those who are aware of the enneagram and know your Aneagram type and are wanting to champion you in using your voice and speaking your mind and not just going with the flow. Practice on them saying what it is that your preference would be if you were to.
Speaker 4: Go out or do something or stay in.
Speaker 3: So try small ways to speak, speak your mind, speak your voice.
Speaker 1: Yes, And if you have friends, if you guys are all into the Aneagram or at least know your type, then you can use the Enneagram to be better aware of the situations of the people around you, how the people around you are thinking. And I know that's a big thing with the Enneagram is to be serving others in the way that they are best served and helped and helping them grow in the way that they need to and become healthy in the ways that they are prone to unhealth. So take care of your people. This is just another time pool in your belt to do that. So we don't need to tell the nine that they're already in Take care of their people.
Speaker 3: Do you know what speaks to everyone and is open to all enneogram types.
Speaker 1: Is wing all of the above?
Speaker 6: Wing it the bill of the week.
Speaker 2: That's right, It's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is William.
Speaker 4: Maybe you paid off your mortgage, Maybe.
Speaker 2: Your car died, and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. Duck bills, Buffalo bills, Bill Clinton, this is the bill.
Speaker 4: Of the week.
Speaker 5: Hey, y'all, it's Corey. I wanted to call in and just let you know that I was able to pay off my second student loan with my tax returns, so now I only have one left to focus on, and my plan is to have the minimum payments for my first two loans that I've already paid off go towards my last one, so I'll be able to drastically change the term of that loan by focusing everything and all those resources to that final one. Thank you for everything, and I hope you guys have a great day.
Speaker 1: Yes, congratulations, Corey. You've been working so hard on that. We are so proud of you.
Speaker 3: This is so exciting, especially when you can see each one being chipped away at and utilizing some of that additional money like a tax return in some really wise ways to get rid of these student loans, and how amazing that will feel when that final one is completely gone. We are celebrating with you along the way and looking forward to celebrating with you when it's all gone. If you all listening, have a bill for us? If it's about paying down bills, bills you don't mind paying. What it's like to be a person whose name is Bill. If you just got a pet and you're unsure what to name it and you want us to convince you to call it Bill, go to Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash Bill, leave us your bill hmm, and now it's time for them.
Speaker 1: Yes, Today's Lightning Round is actually a question from Reddit that Goldie goot and uh amended for this episode. It's the what's the most your type? Your type? In quote? What's the most your type thing you've done that relates to saving or spending?
Speaker 6: Hell?
Speaker 1: Uh, first, Jill, what is your type?
Speaker 4: So this is this is there? Hurtle? This is the hangar Jen, Now I don't know.
Speaker 1: And taking a grain of salt, what do you think?
Speaker 4: Okay? I am either A three, five or eight.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm sure someone could be like, you know who's super taking a deep dive. They're like, well, then, yes, you're a five, and you wing three on Tuesdays and Fridays, and you're in eight on this day of the moon cycle, and when you're in a house zero one. So uh, let's see.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's something. Here's something I'm doing right now. I don't know if I'm doing it for status, for achievement, for power in control, for my own stockpiling desires. But I do create a meal plan. I've been now been doing this since January twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: And where are we at. We're deep into the.
Speaker 3: Summer of twenty twenty three, so half the year I've been doing a meal plan. I plan my meals for two weeks at a time, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I know how most meal plans have just dinner. I don't know why, because the rest of the world really still eats breakfast and lunch. But I have a two week meal plan on my fridge. What breakfast, lunch, and dinner is going to be every day? I mean, you know me, breakfast every day is a smoothie from my vitam X, So don't get it twisted.
Speaker 4: I don't even write that down. That's just the plan always, so there it is.
Speaker 3: I think that that's a type. That's probably a thing. That's a type. I don't know if that's because I'm a three, five, or eight, but.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're a five. I think you're a three or an eight.
Speaker 3: The last time time I took it, it said a five. And there's a lot that I relate to with five's, but I'm not a gamer. Hmm, well, I'm probably Yeah, I'm probably a little bit more a three or eight, but a lot of the very core things of threes I don't relate to.
Speaker 4: You know me, I'm eating hot dogs, not buying Chanelle, so.
Speaker 3: I couldn't care less. Yes, And that's the most eight thing for me to say. And yet the most five or two thing I've done is never make more than fifty thousand dollars here, like I don't know, I'm all over the place. Back to you, Jen, tell me what's wrong with you?
Speaker 1: A ditto Sames absolutely the same, We are the same. I think I'm either a three or an eight. Okay, And here's that story that you've been waiting all episode for. So I thought I was a three. I was like, okay, I'm a three whatever.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then I went to this business like mastermind retreat with a bunch of people I didn't know, and this one girl who was super into the enneagram. After talking to me for thirty minutes, she was like, you're an eight. And I was like, you don't know me.
Speaker 4: She's like, and why you're an eight? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And so she was just like all this, like you're an eight, you're an eight, you're an eight. And I was like, I don't think so I am. I don't like you.
Speaker 4: You can't fit me in. I'm different.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah. It was so off putting how she was very aggressive with how much she thought I was an eight, and I was very angry with how much she was, how presumptuous she was.
Speaker 3: And that anger lasted a while because you came to my house after that retreat and we chatted about this for about an hour.
Speaker 4: I do remember this.
Speaker 1: I was just so, I was like, well, the audacity. You read a book about personality tests, and now you're trying to tell me who I am.
Speaker 3: Like, I what nerve and now true, any a grammars, like the ones who have gone through the certification are going to say, oh see, that's a misuse of it, because this does get on people's nerves of just trying to label those around you versus just looking at what am I and how can it inform me to be the best version of myself?
Speaker 1: Yes, so, but I did get home and read about the eight and I was like, shoot, I think I'm nate and so maybe that story right there is the most eight thing that I've ever done.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, but how does that relate to your money?
Speaker 1: I paid money for that retreat? Uh? Yeah, I don't know. I will maybe spend money to be different. I don't like I'm I love to achieve, but I do. I'm not a status spender, but I do love it. I do love buying something quality and the thought that is, uh man, people will think I'm successful, like if they see me with this and I like that, but little do they know, you know.
Speaker 4: So I picked this up on the side of the road. So there's that.
Speaker 1: But I think it's probably more of a like, I'm probably more of an eight, and I I am definitely highly motivated by money. So it's I love money, and I think I say that a lot, and that's why I do what I do.
Speaker 4: So I'm not conscious.
Speaker 1: Probably I'm not image conscious, but I do love money. It's why we have ads on the show. It's why we don't do the show for free. Like I mean, it's free for list, it's free for you. Yeah, but like I get paid, Like, I wouldn't do this show if I wasn't getting paid because and I hang out all the time for free, like without having.
Speaker 3: A gena about I don't, I would probably keep doing it because I just get to hang out with Jen. I would stop immediately if they weren't paying me to talk to you, I.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't stop hanging out with you. I would stop doing the show. Okay, well and just hang out with you.
Speaker 4: Glad we're getting paid to do this.
Speaker 3: Wow, thanks so much for being here and listening, my fellows, Google friends, Holy smokes. If you made it through this whole thing, just thank you. Ultimate gratitude. If you have something to say, email us and don't tell us what you're.
Speaker 4: Thanking you it.
Speaker 1: Tell us, tell us who we are. Pop into our dms and tell us who we are.
Speaker 4: If you are enegrams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, either way, hopefully you've got some helpful spending spending tips depending on your personality type. So many of you know that we have a membership for our listeners who are paying off debt. We've got all sorts of Anyagram numbers in that membership.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm just going out on a limb because there's different people in there, so most likely they have different personalities. But we're doing monthly money challenges and offering accountability groups, which is good for every type of any agreat number and person, and we want to congratulate one of our members for a big win. This comes from Emmers and who shared. I'm definitely more mindful of my spending and focusing on minimalism has really helped. Getting rid of things and focusing on not letting more accumulate has given me a new perspective on spending. I'm also working towards paying off VET bills and saving for when more VET bills come, and not impulse spending has helped, plus saving for when I am off work post procedure. We're all get paid less. I feel like I'm being more insightful about where my money is going, although I still have purchased some things I feel like I maybe didn't need, but it definitely has decreased a lot. And you know what, we are here for progress over perfection.
Speaker 1: Amen, preach, Congrats emmers, you are on an awesome path. You are doing the most. We're so proud of you.
Speaker 3: If you want to surround yourself with people who are focused on the different ways to understand themselves and their spending, improve their spending and saving and habits, this membership is definitely a really great community. Again, We've got courses, interviews, challenges for those of you who like to gamify things. I'm looking at you, number sevens and so much more. Head to Frugal Friends podcast dot com slash club check it.
Speaker 1: Out, see you next time. Frugal Friends is produced by Eric sirianni.
Speaker 4: Ai.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean I feel like if I if I related to an aniogram number more and more holy, if one really felt like it described me, I could see myself being more into the enniagram.
Speaker 4: I think that's been one of my biggest.
Speaker 3: Barriers is none of them feel quite right. So it's just like okay.
Speaker 4: Then I'll take a little and leave the rest and view it as a tool.
Speaker 3: But I'm also really glad for those who feel very aligned with a number and how it has really helped give them language to their experiences, show a pathway forward in relationship with others, or maybe they had previously experienced a lot of barriers in relationships.
Speaker 4: So cool tool.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: You and just broke the mold, which again is probably a classic Enneagram number thing to say.
Speaker 1: Probably do you know your Meyers Briggs?
Speaker 4: Oh that's another one. I don't know. Yeah, okay, so I do know.
Speaker 1: I am an I I n f J. Yeah, that's my Myers Briggs I n FJ. And from what I've read, it is the rarest type. So maybe that's why I'm more into that one, because I just feel rare, I feel different, which is probably a very eight thing. M Yeah, but I'm I'm definitely more into that one.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing like, if you're not going to connect with it, then it's only going to be frustrating and not a useful tool. So I feel like we only pick up tools that are useful otherwise what's the point.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I would love to make as much money as the aids to say that I should.
Speaker 4: I want to be a part of that's nastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have the most high earners and that that's where I'd like to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and what would I do with the money? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just want to be there. Just like it.
Speaker 4: I just like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what that's probably what's a good thing that we have to split everything that we make in half, or we would just get really big heads. We would make so much money, but we make the same salary and we split it in half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that's that's hard today. Tethered to being a two, four or four?
Speaker 1: Tethered to two. It's the name of your autobiography, Jill. Tethered to two coming this December.
Speaker 3: Where I surround myself by twos to offset all of the horrible tendencies I have.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I twos won't even like surround themselves with me.
Speaker 4: It's just.
Speaker 1: I spend to thirty minutes with me and they're like care bye. Yeah. I bet that girl that forced me into being an eight, she was probably a two. Maybe she was seven. Gosh, I don't even know the difference.
Speaker 4: I don't need I don't either.
Speaker 3: Look, we're just throwing numbers out we're gonna get ourselves.
Speaker 4: Canceled for sure, for sure, all right, I'll give you a number. It's canceled