Speaker 1: What are your plans for the rest of the year, eat Brandon desserts and just get on fat and sassy.
Speaker 2: Good morning, sweerl and welcome to the Nodongs podcast on the Athletic Network. It's beautiful network. It's Tuesday, December seventh.
Speaker 3: I'm j E.
Speaker 2: Skeets alongside me as always. That's task melus.
Speaker 4: Hey fellas well, that's up tasty.
Speaker 2: You got our top shot hot boy Trey Kirby. Hey, hey, the international man of mystery taking it to the Max Leellis friend lady certainly not least making the magic happen. Super producer JD. Hello, there is he here. We are shout out to the stream team. Joining us live right now on YouTube, Subscribe, like, comment, share, quick heads up. Later today right here on this very feed. On this YouTube feed, we will have a new No Breaks, which is our F one podcast with TK and Grating Gordian. That one goes live at two pm Eastern if you want to join the boys in the paddock otherwise we'll flip that into a podcast as soon as humanly possible two pm Eastern. If you're an F one fan or if you're just sort of new to the sport, like I know a lot of us are with the drive to survive on Netflix. You guys do a great job. I gotta say that, especially like greating. Gordian is so good, Like you got questions for him and he can like really tell you because he's been a longtime fan of Like what the hell's going on?
Speaker 3: Right, TK, exactly right. We usually say this about Survivor. Now it's a great time to get in for half one. We got only one race you gotta care about. And like you're saying, skeets, Graydon actually knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 2: So anytime I have a dumb question.
Speaker 3: When you were on, you were asking him dumb questions, He's got a smart answer for it.
Speaker 2: It's perfect. He's really really good at this stuff. All right, we got a fun podcast here today. We're talking more trades later on in the show. I'm gonna hit you guys with some traine for the Blazers to make get your opinions on them, you know, moving everybody basically accept Dabian Lillard if that's the first step that the Blazers ultimately try and decide to do. So, I'll throw some at you at you guys, and you guys, can you know, thumbs up or thumbs down them, or tweak them a bit, whatever you want. But let's start with the games, because there was a lot of games on last night. We'll start with Demart de Rosen having to enter COVID nineteen health and safety protocols soon before the Bulls game. But that's okay. In the end, they go on to get the victory against the Nuggets, who are very shorthanded as well. Zach Lavie scored thirty two TK to get the Chicago win. But unfortunate news with DeRozan, of course, right on the heels of being named Eastern Conference Player of the Week. Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 3: It's been a blessed start for the Bulls, despite the fact they've had some injuries, they've had some COVID protocol concerns, like you're saying, but they're seventeen and eight right now, second in the East, undefeated against the first place team. They had that great West Coast road trip where they swept both games in LA and then they swept a couple more games in New York City as well. But I've actually found a couple of things really challenging with this team. Number One, I like to wear Bulls gear on the show the day after a big win, and it's getting hard to keep up with this laundry. As the Bulls stack win after win after win after win, and number two, it can be hard to find the words to express just how back the Chicago Bulls are, because, like you're saying, Skeets, DeRozan was a scratch about two hours before tip off, right after he won Eastern Conference Player of the Week. Some of y'all might have started thinking, I don't know, the Bulls might not be back. As it turns out even more back than you could imagine. No DeRozan, no Kobe White, no Javonte Green. They're all in COVID protocols right now. Even Stacy King missed the game last night. We had silly Billy Winnington on the call. Alex Caruso a late scratch as well with a hamstring injury. Patrick Williams he's out right now, likely for the season due to risk surgery. So five of the bulls top ten guys are out, and it did not matter because the Nuggets are equally shorthanded and the Bulls have not one, but two all NBA MVP candidates. Last night, it was Zach Levine thirty two points, a season high, eight assists, and honestly dominated in the third quarter. Had twelve points, had three assists. The step backs were looking nice, The twisty layups were looking Jordan esk. He played the entire quarter and keyed every single Bulls run. They had a seven oh run, they had an eight to one run, they had a seven to zero run. He went into takeover mode on a night when the Bulls really really needed it. Levine was the star last night, but this was a team win. Twenty points, ten rebounds, four threes and four blocks for Lonzo Ball last night. He put an exclamation point on the w catching a huge oop midway through the fourth quarter. In this one, Sweet Vuccie Baby, he couldn't shoot eight for twenty four, still put up twenty and ten hit a big three in the fourth quarter, because that's what he does. Most importantly, helped hold Nikola Jokic to a quiet triple double seventeen points on seventeen shot, and honestly, the Bulls looked better defensively when it was just Vucevic straight up against Jokic. Anytime the Bulls were doubling it was an easy three pointer for the Nuggets. So in the second half, Vuch was just competing defensively, made it tough on Jokic and I got to give a huge shout out to Io de Summu his first career start got introduced as from Chicago.
Speaker 2: Played a career high forty.
Speaker 3: One minutes and fifty something seconds, finished with eleven points, six boards, eight assists. Derek Jones Junior was good, Troy Brown Junior was good. Tony Bradley he was back in the rotation.
Speaker 4: He was good.
Speaker 3: Even Matt Thomas hit a three last night. The Bulls could have turtled this one away instead. One of the best wins of the season. Incredible stuff. I saw people saying they were the best team in the Eastern Conference last night. Kind of tough to say considering we're going to be talking about the Bucks next. Nonetheless, awesome win for Dupples last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, U tast We didn't have you on yesterday's show, And one of the questions we were asking was are the Bulls like squarely in the upper echelon that upper tier of Eastern Conference teams? Like do you include the Chicago Bowls at this point of the season here, especially with these victories missing guys like Trey took us through with Derosen. They're the star player probably from this season. Are they right there with the box and nets? Are they still a tier below them in your mind? Or is there anybody else in that mix? What do you think that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're definitely part of that tier. If they've got Trey Kirby wearing undershirts just to preserve his dirt bag move. He's got an undershirt on self proclaimed dirt bag move with the sweater on top. You've got to wear undershirts. Now that's a double bulls. You got a bowls on top.
Speaker 5: And a b I like that.
Speaker 2: You're calling it a dirt bag move. I thought it was a scumbag.
Speaker 4: I love it. Same same deal, Chuck Swarsky. They're dancing here on YouTube if you missed it. It was cool to see Chuck Swirsky and Bill Wennington on front row there. I was watching the in game arena stuff going on. It was good to see a billy chopping on some gum there. Courts Eye and Chucky Swerski there, our good old friend from Toronto. Yeah, I think they definitely belong there. It stinks for Demarto Rosen having to go into save health and safety protocols as Bill Billy Donovan said that he has been extremely careful. And I'm not sure how Billy Donovan knows that they hanging out all the time, but I guess he knows that he's been extremely careful. He's had to enter health and save the protocols. It sinks because Damars had such a great start to the season, but it's cool to see last year Zach Lavine again just having to do everything because it's cool to see how he's evolved. And I like to focus on Zach Levine. Sometimes I can only focus on one player at a time. It's hard for me to focus on multiple players. But it's cool to see Zach Lavine and what he's turned into over the last several years because it was our crazy athletic guy, you know, for the first few years, and he's just so fun to watch because he's so unique athletically, and I think myself, others included, wondered is he just going to be a crazy athlete and not really turn into a basketball player? But now he's got every move in the bag. There was the move he went right at Nikola Yokich had a little sort of a push dribble, pushed it a head towards the baseline and then just rose up and hit over him. At any point you can think, oh, maybe Zachlavine's kind of lost in his move, and then he'll just rise up because he can jump over anybody. So it's kind of cool to see last year Zachlavine, like Trey described there where he had to kind of do everything. But Trey also described going through the roster iowed from Chicago and Matt Thomas the day he had his little avatar on Basketball reference dot com. Was that a coincidence that he came out and played yesterday. I almost didn't recognize him on Basketball Reference, but he came out and played yesterday. Everybody on that roster, Troy Brown all the way down. It's a deep team. And as zach Lavine said after the game, it's worn on him that they've been losing year after year after year. But a different mindset in Chicago, and yeah, they've got to be part of the top tier. I don't see how you don't include them.
Speaker 2: Back to Trey wearing a Bulls T shirt under his bull sweatshirt while he wears a Bulls hat. Efac here in the stream. Team says it's like when you cut up in a belt pepper and there is a little pepper inside of it. That's like TK with his balls. I always do love when you find a secret pepper inside of pepper. And that's Tray right now. I'll lead you have anything to add about the balls are back and all that stuff. And why don't you ever see Homer on TK? He would never fucking start, But I.
Speaker 1: Was talking about I don't you know, I don't want to Sully the mood.
Speaker 6: Tray is so happy right now.
Speaker 1: It has been a while since the bulls have been back, and it's fun to see. It's like also one of those Russian dolls, you know, where you'd take it off and there's just another one, a little misskin and I think it's called something like that. Anyway, I really just want to focus on two players. Io to soon move I thought was just incredible. Trait obviously touched on him there he got the start, and it really says a lot about a rookie who can come into the starting lineup and play the.
Speaker 6: Way that he did.
Speaker 1: Because this guy I believe earned his spot there primarily because he's worked hard on the defensive end all season long. He's all always hustling, he's always trying to get in the way and affect the game on that end because he knows, especially not only just as a rookie, but on a team with so many other guys who can score and shoot and have plays run for them, he's not going to get plays run for him offensively. He has to find ways to be effective, whether that's you know, getting little tip ins or put backs or broken plays that come his way. But also as well, last night you saw just past the guys who are the scorers and the shooters on your team, because that's a way to get the respect from the veterans and the coach to be like, you know, don't go out there and try to replace Demarta Rosen's shots in minutes, because that's not what he's being asked to do. But instead go out there and do what you've done by being effective defensively, starting that break in transition and then just pass the ball to those other guys because that's what you're supposed to do. He'll return to the bench obviously when DeRozan comes back, but he really has shown that he's a mature rookie, and he's talked a good game about saying, you know, I've got to be ready to wait for my opportunity and do the right thing. But then he actually went out and proved it. So I think that's really really good. So for a young guy, second round pick, you know, a lot of rookies, you know, they're impatient and they're not quite ready for the NBA, and they're not quite ready for that moment. He proved he was last night. And then the other point is Lonzo Ball. I'm going to play psychologists here, which is always fun. I'm going back to that NETS game where DeRozan found him for that three pointer because he hadn't been shooting the ball all that well, and I do believe those things can have a knock on effect in the next game. I thought Lonzo Ball was really confident last night shooting the ball, and I think that that comes from the fact that his teammates, you know, trusted him even though he was having a bit of an off couple of games there when he needed to step up again, there's more shots there. Last night without DeRozan, he stepped up and he made them, and he also made the defensive plays and he was rebounding the ball. So all those things, to me, really tell you that the Chicago Bulls team is on the same page right now.
Speaker 6: DeRozan goes out and it's not like, well, what are we going to do here?
Speaker 1: Everyone else just sort of lifts, does a little bit more chips in here and there, and they also understand just what is expected on them. There's no excuses. It's not like, well, DeRozan not there, we can afford to lose this game. That go out there and play just the same way. So really, really good signs to me that this locker room is on the same pageant and really in sync with each other.
Speaker 2: There's been so much talk too about like Caruso defensive player of the Year. He's got to be in the mix or at least on an all defensive team or you know which. I think he will be maybe in the end, But I think the same should be said about Lonzo Ball. This guy is unbelievably he is elite on that end. I think he's flirting with like he's getting close to like two steels per game, and he chips in a block a game at his position, which is sort of rare, so you know, I'd like to see his name sort of be included there at least and talks about oh being one of the and I know he has been before, but it's just been all Caruso, Caruso, Caruso. He's just as good, right, Trey, Like what he can do on the defense beend especially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it was actually kind of funny to see last night because Lonzo had a couple of blocks, like in the first couple of minutes of this game, and the way he plays generally, he's like running around like crazy, gambling for steels, gambling for help, trying to get deflections. And usually that's at its best when Caruso is also on the moor, because Cruso can really make up for a lot of Lonzo's gambles, like cover for his spot where he's left it behind.
Speaker 2: That was not.
Speaker 3: Happening with the Bulls in the first half. Lonzo was running around a little bit too crazy. It led to a lot of open threes for the Nuggets, so the Bulls decided to play it a little bit more straight in the second half, and Lonzo's just he's just reeks havoc. And then he's he's so good at then turning defense to offense that it rubs off on the other Bulls as well. So they're not always a great half court team, but they're a great full court team, and a lot of that is Lonzo doing defense to offense. Another cool thing last night, the Bulls had a six point possession. They hit a three and got called for a flagrant foul on the old Zaza Patula land under so went to the free throw line.
Speaker 2: Lonzo had two free throws to make one very weird.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, hit it.
Speaker 3: But the Bulls then get the ball back and they got a dunk. I think it was a Derek Doones junior dunk. So they got a four point play, then the dunk. Six points on one possession plus the two to one. That doesn't happen very often.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like John Schuman's wet dream session. Oh my god, get some get some crazy hard. Sorry to put that visual in your head, John Shuman hard. That'll never be able to shake that one all day, willari all right? Our next game here, Joel Embiid a monster. This one got me hard. Forty three points, seventy six ers held off the pesky Hornets, who are very short man right now, a lot of guys in health and safety protocols as well. Hornets won twenty seven excuse me six ers one over Charlotte in overtime. I was locked in on this one. Task was one of the earlier games. Obviously fairly any very entertaining. What do you think of this one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, came down to the wire and the Hornets broadcasters thought they were going to pull it out with a very short handed team and the stars in the health and safety protocol no lamellow ball right now, but it was coming down to the wire. And it's a true small market team with the broadcasters that are true homers. When they're on the broadcast, they're just pulling for the home team. They're just yearning for the home team. And they were just saying, basically, with four minutes left, they had the lead, it looked like, you know, it looked like they could pull it out, and they're just saying, we just need.
Speaker 6: A couple stops.
Speaker 4: So we just need a couple of stops, and this will be a signature win, a huge win. This could turn our season around. And that made it fun because then Joel Embiid ripped their heart out because it was pretty fun to see the Joel Embiid of last year. Just talked about zach Lavina. Last year, Embiid has been, you know, not quite himself, not quite the runner up in the MVP voting. And I thought he had his best game in this one. Everything going through him. Charlotte had no answer for him. He had a forty two point night a couple weeks ago. He's playing Karl Anthony Towns, but this one was forty three against the Hornets team Again that's too small, so they're doubling him. And he only took two threes in this one, so it's pretty cool. And that jump shot with their seconds left, it looks like a bad shot for a lot of big men. But he was able to tie the game from the mid range, where is where he killed everyone last year. That is where Joel Embiid made his money last year. They just were able to find him with you know those entry passes in the mid post, because the Sixers do and did in this game, struggle to get him the ball in the post. Bad passes, bad angles, just struggling to find it there. But if Joel Embiid, like with thirty seconds left, can take the ball up top and just drag his defender into the mid range and hit shots like he did last year at an incredible rate. That's why he was so good. They're unstoppable, and that's how the Sixers pulled this one off. And Kelly Ubray helped out by taking a bad shot there, although he had a big three and then he took a bad shot because that's the Kelly Ubray experience. But yeah, the Hornets olmost pulled it out. But yeah, what's that LaMelo ball really running the show? I thought that kind of heart at the end with that Ubray shot. But yeah, great great effort at home in the uh yeah, the gradient jury, the Kellyambre jerseys and they almost pulled. That would have been as much as Dell and Air Collins wanted it the broadcasters there, that would have been a really big win. But yeah, that was a that was a dagger there by Joel Embiide to pull it into overtime and then yeah, they pulled it off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a monster line. The forty three points, fifteen boards, seven assists on fifteen to twenty shooting for embiid twelve or fourteen at the line there as well, Leley, and I think Task is right. That's what I thought watching this games, like, oh yeah, Joelle Embiid last year was a legit MVP guy and you know, hasn't really been the case for a whole chunk of this season because you missed a big chunk of it too, with his own worries there with COVID, and he's talked about that. So it was cool to be reminded of, like, oh, yeah, this guy can can sort of tilt a playoff series or you know, obviously like a favorite even in an Eastern Conference when he plays like that, because when the mid range is going, I don't really know how to stop.
Speaker 1: Him, no, and it certainly helps when they done don't really have a big, tall guy who can get.
Speaker 2: Up there with PG. Weisher didn't that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I mean, that's a problem that the Hornets have faced a lot this season. Plumbley's out right now anyway, so and Plumbley's not a great defender, but he's at least tall. I can maybe get his hand up a little bit higher than Washington. But all things considered, yeah, the Hornets had a chance to win this game. They still nearly could pull it off. Kelly Hubra, I mean, what a what a fantastic overall game he had, But he did have like that mislay up at the start of overtime as well, So he had a couple of those plays that just kind of take a little off the table despite the six threes that he had going into the starting lineup. But yeah, Eric Collins a couple of times, I mean openly just like saying, oh and beads settling, bang, knocked it in and bead settling bang. Avin Dell pulled him into line and said, you can't say that's settling because that's exactly he's knocking those in.
Speaker 6: So it was great.
Speaker 1: But Embiid also talked about I think you know, he's had that coronavirus, so was out for a while and that probably affected his conditioning, and he sort of said he was looking back at tape and he's got to establish a bit more of that position down low because that's where he really is unstoppable again, especially against smaller guys. Now they're tougher guys, but MBT is just a better player. So it was good to see him really put his dominance on this game last night. He only had seven points in the fourth quarter and six in the overtime. Now I say only because it felt like he had way more than that. It felt like it was one of those games where he had you look at the boxer, he's had, well, he must have had, you know, eighteen points in the fourth quarter. He didn't quite dominate in that aspect, but his presence was clearly the difference here between these two teams. But the crowd last night seemed really into it as well. Charlotte's not one of those arenas that you looked at where the crowd's going crazy, but they were last night because it was such an entertaining game. So really good win for the Sixers to pull that out. Good performance by the Hornets all things considered. But yeah, Eric Collins and del Curry must listen to those guys. They're always so entertaining.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Collins was going nuts on a couple uh dunks last night gee saw and then book note huge put back dunk in the fourth quarter where Collins was losing his mind. Yeah, I mean, if the Hornets are playing, I'm always listening to the Hornets broadcast. I mean, it's it's just too it's just too much fun. It makes the game so much more enjoyable. And the Hornets play a bunch of these insane games too. No one plays deep, they don't play defense. Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: I think they've given up like one hundred and thirty points or thereabouts to almost every opponent this year.
Speaker 2: The JT.
Speaker 3: Thor dunk was hilarious. Of course, Eric Collins hits us with he threw a lightning bowl. That's expected, right, the guy's last name is Thor. My favorite line he had on it, though, was I think he just cleared his sinuses too? What's literally?
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: The only the only bigger question I had was afterwards. According to the ap doc, Rivers called this game for Joel Embiid a feed the pig game. YE don't like that at all, very much like bore on the floor, very disgusting. But I like to see the deeper post ups from Embiid. Like he does have a nice midrange jumper. I feel like he can get a little bit too patrick ewing at times where he would rather shoot the midranger than get that boost inside. But only five misses on the night he got started inside and then worked his way out to the mid range game. He's taken double digit pre throw attempts in four or five games since coming back from COVID, so you can tell he's rounding in this shape and really mashing guys down low.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Tobias Harris was also good I think for the Sixers last night. I think a twenty to ten game, twenty one and eleven something like that, contributing there. He had been in and oute of this lineup too, So Sixers, I think I heard maybe there on the Daily Ding this morning. First time the Sixers have won back to back games in like a month. Yeah, so you know, obviously they want to start rising back up the Eastern Conference standings as they get these players back, and we wait and see whether or not they of course make a move. All right, let's keep it going here. The Hawks hit twenty five to three pointers twenty five to beat the Timberwolves one twenty one, one ten. Get startedly.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: The Hawks needed a convincing victory because they lost the night before at home to the Hornets and then on Friday night at home to the Sixers. Now, okay, that's fine. The Sixers are a team that they can afford a lost to and then they came out last night and just pounded Minnesota from deep twenty five threes, as you mentioned, only forty nine attempts, and every single player except for Clint Capella hit a three for the Hawks last night. Timothy Lua wu At Cabiri went seven to fourteen in the Star.
Speaker 3: Yeah, John Collins three Italian ones, Yeah yeah, No Frenchies, Trey hit for Danilla.
Speaker 1: Gallinari off the bench had four, Kevin Huerta had two, Gorgy Jiang even hit three last night. So honestly, the Timberwolves didn't play terrible. They didn't defend the three point line well, but they were just chasing the Hawks all night, and the Hawks just didn't cool off. And so you know, this is this is a real modern day game the way it's played, where you just came down and was like everyone spreads the floor out and if everyone gets hot, becomes contagious. We know that sometimes teams can go just as cold from outside as the Hawks got hot last night, and the Timberleves just didn't really have an answer. They didn't have D'Angelo Russell last night. Now I'm not sure that helps them defensively, but offensively they could have used him out there to at least try to keep up with the Hawks, but they just weren't able to timbles. Another one of those little runs they go on where it's like are they okay or are they not very good?
Speaker 6: Last night was more in the column of like they just they just.
Speaker 1: Can't seem to ever solidify a position where you think, Okay, maybe this team is good. Edwards and cat sure, fine, but they were just down last night and just never really got into the game because they couldn't stop the Hawks hitting threes. I mean, like I say, when everyone off the bench is just coming out there firing away like that, it's pretty hard to stop. And Chris finch Finchy, he talked about their defensive effort, and it's like, Yep, you can talk about it all you want, but if a team's lighting you up for four straight quarters, then it's really on the players, I think.
Speaker 2: Chah So, I know you were locked in a little bit on this Hikeswolves game, so he tweeted about it last night. I think to add to Lely's breakdown there from a very solid Hawks win there on a back to back situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, franchise record twenty five threes because timoth A Lulu Cabrero was not part of the game plan for the Minnesota Timberwolves. They just left him open.
Speaker 5: Understandable.
Speaker 4: He went seven to fourteen from three bang bang bang bang. That was huge, and Danilo Gallinari looked like it was ten years ago. He looks spry off the bench. He looked like a totally different guy. He looked like he was having some Italian wine. Now, Lee, are you saying there was only Italian wines on the because you missed his section?
Speaker 5: I told I told you too, I told you right then.
Speaker 4: But anyways, it doesn't matter. The wine was fine, no matter what JD says. It was fine.
Speaker 5: I didn't say it was bad. What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: No, yeah, oh, I thought you said it was pissy. I thought you word pissy. Oh what was the word you used?
Speaker 7: Delicious?
Speaker 5: I don't know what.
Speaker 7: I don't remember saying anything bad about the winy order.
Speaker 2: Everybody relaxed. He didn't he didn't mind the wine that Lee picked at Dark Christmas Dinner on Friday night.
Speaker 7: People were upsett me because I said Charraz sucks. That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, people.
Speaker 7: Were, which it does. I stand by that it's horrible. You know it's a grape. Don't come at me because of a single grape. There's a whole litany of delicious wines out there. I just don't like chiraz anyways, carry on, There are a.
Speaker 4: Lot of grapes. There are a lot of grapes out there. When you think about it, there's hundreds millions of grapes. You don't think of that. There's a lot of grapes anyway. Yeah, Danilo Gallinari was squishing some grapes between his feet. He looked great out there. Twenty five threes. Yeah, they were just moving the ball so nicely. The Hawks, I think, were a little pissed off after their last their last loss on the weekend, and yeah, they look like they turned it around.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Didn't have D'Angelo Russell, and I think that was a big part of why they looked the way they looked in Karl Anthony Town's coming back from from that injury in his first game. But yeah, the Hawks weren't gonna lose this game. The way they were moving it around. Twenty five doesn't seem like it should be a franchise high for that team, the way they let it fly, But yeah, that's it. Is a lot of threes, even in today's game.
Speaker 2: All right, our next game, just really quickly here Jannis scored twenty seven points on his twenty seventh birthday as the Bucks beat the Cavs one twelve, one oh four. It gets even better than that because Bleacher Report pointing out that he also played in twenty seven minutes. Lately you like the numbers? Are you numerologist? What does it mean?
Speaker 3: What does it mean?
Speaker 2: I really just wanted to ask you, Lee, what you did on your twenty seventh birthday and if you totally you could show us.
Speaker 6: Yes, give me a minute and I'll get one, because it was the.
Speaker 2: Just tell me about it.
Speaker 1: It was the Champions League Final in two thousand and three, three at Old Trafford in Manchester. It was Icee Milan versus Juventus. I was there for that game was on my birthday. So your twenty seventh birthday, yes, eight, two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: Honestly amaze me. I was getting ready for the show this morning, showering, thinking, oh, I'll ask Lee what he did on his twenty seventh birthday. I doubt he'll even know, because I was like, I don't know what he did on my twenty seventh. No clue, but of course you know, you know exactly where you were, and you have a photo that you're searching for right now.
Speaker 6: Yes I am.
Speaker 2: Anyway from this game, another feisty performance from the Cavs. Tasks like they're they're in a lot of these games. They were. They had a chance to take the lead in the fourth quarter. Obviously come up short, but that's okay. The fight is there. But the Yeah, the Bucks are just too good when their three guys are playing. They're still undefeated if anybody's keeping track when Jannis Middleton and Drew Holiday are in the lineup. So that's good.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Joannis hit all three of his threes last night. Also nice twelve boards. You know, he was returning from this sore right calf. The Bucks had split those two games that he missed, so they're not too upset with that. But also an in state insane stat in the AP report, the Bucks are forty three and four forty three and four against the Central Division since Budenholzer took over as coach in twenty eighteen. Holy crap, that is I know it's I know the Bulls have had some rough years, right right, TK, Yeah, there's a lot of pittass in the central Pistons and who's the final one?
Speaker 4: I'm for you have Bulls, Pistons, Boots and the Pacers.
Speaker 2: That's that's wild though only four losses. I mean some of those teams are bad, you guys are right, but that's still this is the NBA's that's a crazy stat. So they have taken care of business against the central division.
Speaker 4: I'm surely what's that n that that site that you referenced there with the with the trade the other day than the.
Speaker 2: NAMBA Analysis Network.
Speaker 4: I think Analysis Network that's the one. I'm sure they've got a report on it. They love doing division reports. Yes, they go division by division hard on the uh so yeah, Yeahannis, Yeah, he just he pulled it out the end. I think it is easy to forget as he said that they haven't been healthy. I know we talk about Brook Lopez a lot, but everybody has been in and out of the lineup. So unbeaten with their big three and uh feeling good about themselves is they're you know, part of the nets Bulls, a little triumvirate at the top. Thing they feel great and Yannie, yeah it was it was in the fourth quarter where he just kind of like finished the game. And I had picked the Calves to cover that six and a half point spread, and then Yanni's just splashed a three in the last minute just to ice it. But the Calves are always going to be there for sure. They're always going to fight, and uh yeah, they're not going to cover if Yanbo was hitting three pointers. Yeah he looks. He looks great a couple of games off, feeling good on his twenty seventh birthday.
Speaker 5: Happy Birthday, Yanni.
Speaker 2: Uh well did you find it?
Speaker 6: Lee?
Speaker 2: I mean, I have to kick come on, I just want to see this photo. Now, that's definitely going to be underwhelming. It's going to be you standing outside a building. Let's see it. Here we go, Happy twenty seventh birthday. Oh it's standing inside a building. Okay, this's actually blue shirt.
Speaker 5: Oh why are you wearing a bat blue shirt?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well that was in that bag? What you got in that bag?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, I lived in Canada for a year before that, so I was still in my Canadian you know, sort of phase there.
Speaker 5: But yeah, but you got that.
Speaker 2: Shirt free in a case of beer. That's you didn't buy it?
Speaker 6: Probably yeah, yeah, probably most likely yeah, yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Hey, happy belated birthday too, Thanks man, Thanks.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it for sure.
Speaker 2: You're twenty seventh birthday twenty all right, great one the other games from last night, I'll just throw them all at your task, go wherever you want. Grizzlies won their fifth straight, led by Desmond Bean and his big arms and then Dylan Brooks and his crazy face. The thunder rallied to beat the Pistons. They ended their eight game skid. Ok see Detroit will actually touch on that later, of course, with the pick them Pacers pulled away early. They held off the Wizards for the one sixteen one to ten win. Chris Paul did his thing twenty one and ten Suns beat the Spurs one O eight one oh four. Korean Wiggins led the Warriors to a blowout victory over the Magic, and Paul George scored twenty one as the Clippers took care of the shorthanded Blazers one two ninety Any of those games you wanted to touch on?
Speaker 4: Well, the thunder jumping back from a seventy three point loss. That's pretty good, they tweeted after their seventy three point loss. A photo of a couple of their guys with the caption regroup and back at it Monday. Everybody laughed at them regrouping back at it Monday.
Speaker 6: Ha ha.
Speaker 4: And they came back at one on Monday. They followed through on the Twit good for them, and they were down.
Speaker 6: And then that was down eighteen points at this yeah as well. So what does that say about the Pistons?
Speaker 2: I mean, well, according to you, they should be investigated for tanking and uh Silver should step in and stripping out in the front office.
Speaker 6: Of the role.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a that was a very impressive bounce back there from the night. Now, they obviously had Giddy and gilges Alexander back as well, which helped. But the Pistons, I mean, come on losing having an eighteen point game and then a lead and then losing.
Speaker 6: By did they lose? What double digits? Was it in the end?
Speaker 1: I know it was out there to double digit I'm not sure what the final was. But what about the Memphis Grizzlies also, let's give them some love. Five consecutive games now where they have not trailed at all.
Speaker 6: That is unbelievable. So now the heat, obviosly they're down a few players. Jimmy Butler was.
Speaker 1: Back there last night. He played, I think, yeah, he picked up another injury. But even still, for the Grizzlies to be doing all this still without Jar Morant is quite an incredible achievement by them. So their defense is unbelievable. Right over those last five games, the defensive rating is ninety unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Stuff unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Some people are saying they should trade Drumrean, trading to the Pistons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: Tk any of those games I threw at the end that you want to do touch on quickly.
Speaker 3: Steph Curry made seven threes, So now he is fifteen threes away from passing Ray Allen, or for tying Ray Allen for most all time, sixteen away from passing him for most in the regular season. He's not ruling it out for the next game they play against the Blazers, which is a perfect perfect opponent to try and go for a sixteen to three game. As he mentioned, he knows that what that would do for Klay Thompson's current record for most threes in a game. So, yeah, seven threes last night, but it's really just more exciting to see what Steph Curry does in his next game, because it kind of feels like he's going to at least try to go for the.
Speaker 5: All time three point record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sign me up, I'll watch. Is it is it in Potland or it's in Golden State?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's at home. Like Trey said, he needs sixteen to surpass Rayaleen for regular season three pointers made. If it doesn't happen then, which I mean that would be a record sixteen threes, then they're on a five road trips, so it would be happening probably on the road lately. Uh, Philadelphia, Indiana, New York, Madison Square, Guarden there, Boston and Toronto.
Speaker 1: He then he's gotta if he doesn't do it against the Blazes, he's got to do it in the Garden, doesn't he?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 6: I mean that's the next biggest.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, but you'd have to miss a lot of threes on purpose to get to Game four.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so it's got to.
Speaker 2: Be the Blazers.
Speaker 3: Would I would also accept against the Philadelphia seventy six ers with his brother there? Oh yeah, well maybe you can rest against the Pacers on that Monday if you're not there, do it in the garden right, just basically anything except for the Pacers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think he'll do You think he'll legit, give it a go on Wednesday night?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think so. Why not?
Speaker 4: It'd be a great way to do it, he's saying. He said after the game, I know exactly where I'm at. He's definitely aware of what the hell's happening. This is one that he knows. Yeah, the best shooting in the world. He's going for it. Man. That play at the end of the first quarter was so amazing where he's in his backcourt and Gary Harris poked it from him and scored seven seconds left in the courter, and then he just goes up, shoots a half court shot and buries it in Gary Harris's eye. That was amazing.
Speaker 2: I swear to god, he's done this like it feels like three straight games where he's hit like a half court shot to end a quarter or end a half. I mean, at least it's two. Maybe I'm stretching it to three, but it feels like every game. Rightly, there's a Steph Curry highlight where he hits something at the end of a quarter or a half from forty five feet forty.
Speaker 1: Feet, and that's why guys should try to do it rather than save their field goal percentage, because it's way better when guys knock them in. But everyone tries. Everyone just releases it just after the buzzer. I think Worldwide calls it the field Goal Percentage Savings Club.
Speaker 2: His name is world or Worldwide, you know I'm talking about that.
Speaker 1: He changes his name after someone has a big knoight. I'm not sure if he's changed it from anyone from last night, like to one bead or someone you.
Speaker 6: Know, But that's why I just got to go with the Worldwide had.
Speaker 1: He had a funny video up the other day after the Knicks lost to the Nuggets.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you guys saw it, but one of those ones a minute long and you're watching it and he doesn't say anything.
Speaker 2: Oh I watched that because you keep white.
Speaker 1: It's a great video because you're like, you're waiting, waiting, is it And then you're like, have I done something wrong?
Speaker 6: Is it's frozen or whatever? And then you just realize that's that says so much without saying anything.
Speaker 2: First name, world, last name, wob. Why just what we're talking about?
Speaker 4: That's not about about a guy who's I'm not sure whose name if his first name is George or Paul, Paul, George, George Paul. Anyway, fifty percent in October from the floor, forty one percent in November now down to twenty nine percent in December. From an MVP candidate does it every year? That's shocking, every shocking that it happened again because he was an MVP candidate to start. Now he's he's fallen off. Although yeah, they squeaked one out there against the Blazer because they always squeaking out. But uh, yeah, the Blazer's falling off.
Speaker 5: We'll get to them, won't We hold on the Thunder the Thunder, I know, we laugh about.
Speaker 4: The Thunder and ha ha ha. Yeah, they've got more wins than the Pistons. But the guy who turned around that game was Kenrich Williams. I thought he was just like the scrappy guy off the bench. Now if they trade him, that's the reason to shut that team down. Shut down, shut down, because he's he is a guy who's like he's a winner. He just he comes in and just turns the game around. And to me, yeah, Shay was back. Obviously, Giddy was back. They look good, and how can they be shut down if they have more wins than the Detroit Pistons. It's because of how they handle their players. And to me, last year they weren't reprimanded for the Horford and the Shay sitting down. I'm looking forward to January and February if they trade Kenrich Williams to a team that needs a guy that you know has a little spark plug and they're just well, what do they do it? It's gonna happen. Anyways, It's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: It'll happen between the six point possession and all is Kenrich Williams talk. This might be John Schumann's favorite episode of B it.
Speaker 2: Is he loves Oh yeah, crazy haircut. All right, let's take our first break. When we come back, we will talk some non Dmian Millar trades for the Blazers. Lee what you got? I'm almost afraid to ask JD. But how is the classic factory coming along?
Speaker 7: It's come along. We're making progress, so I mean, I'm not I'm not exaggerating when I say that everything doesn't work when I first plug it in.
Speaker 2: Actually really shocking to me. You think this stuff at this point twenty twenty one. You know, you're plugging this stuff and it just and it just goes. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Now, now when you reach sort of like we're we're leveling up, so we're in sort of the pro land assertive. We're that like the prosumer land, right, So it's like there's very little instructions that come with this stuff. And then you got to call the you gotta call and you get attitude man like oh god, these gear head man, they're like.
Speaker 5: Well, of course it doesn't. That's a fifty six K light.
Speaker 7: Of course it doesn't.
Speaker 5: You can't warm that up. You need gel man, man.
Speaker 7: I just I just want to make a podcast, bro. All right, progress though, we're getting there, we're getting. Short answer is we're getting.
Speaker 2: That, all right, baby steps guys to the Classic Factory coming together. Okay, so let's get into some Blazers trade talk. I can't tell if people like this stuff or hate it, but who cares.
Speaker 7: We're doing it.
Speaker 2: You know, we talked a lot about on yesterday show at least about the direction the Blazer should go. Should it be like blow it up and that means trade Damian Lillard because he would want out of there. Or is it like try and keep at happy and shake it up by moving some of these other potential guys on their roster. I'm a column a nurkic, a covey team. So that's what we're gonna do here. I tweeted it out yesterday. I said, hey, MBA Sickles, let's see your best non Damian Lillard trades for the Trailblazers. And I said, you know, those three guys make the most sense. What you got. People love trades, holy crapp lely. A lot of responses, a lot of like decent ones, a lot of convoluted ones. I will say, where you get into like the three team deals, the four team deals. It's a little it's a little much to try and talk about on a podcast at times. But I did find some that I thought are like, Okay, let's throw that at the guys. Let's throw it at the stream team and everybody listening and see what they think. So we'll go through them sort of player by player here. We're starting with CJ McCollum, and I'm just gonna put aside the Sixers move, which I think is the most obvious. I think a lot of us agree is probably the most obvious in terms of trying to get Ben Simmons. Maybe it includes McCollum and then other pieces and picks to make it happen. But we've talked enough about that, so some other ideas to set up McCollum. I want everybody to know, thirty year old shooting guard. He's not as young as you sort of think. I always think of McCollum as like a twenty five to twenty six year old, but he's not. He's in his thirties. He probably would have made his first All Star Game last year if he didn't get hurt. He was definitely in the running, but he's never made that This year, Shade under twenty one points per game, forty two percent shooting from the floor. Those are those are really bad numbers for CJ. McCollum since he's become a starter. I think a lot of it has to do with all of this trade talk and his name being included in a lot of these deals. I know he's talked to to UH Jason Quick about it. On the athletic he's also having a baby. I think some off court distractions are in play here, But he looks a little disinterested and he doesn't look like the CJ. McCollum from years prior. He makes nearly thirty one million dollars for this year, and that only goes up for the final two years thirty three, next year thirty six. After that task, it does not become easy to trade a CJ. McCollum because it makes a lot of money. So of course salary has to be coming back. But I want to get your take on this one task. There was two similar trades thrown at me with McCollum going to the Cavaliers, yes, the Cleveland Cavaliers. So the first one was from Taylor. It was McCollum and let's say, Nesir Little to the Calves for Kevin Love and call and Sexton. Colin Sexton is the key piece in both of these. And the other one I saw or heard from Sam Vessini and Dannie LaRue was McCollum and nobody else really, just McCollum to the Cavs for Ricky Rubio, Colin Sexton and Jeddi Osman. I just want to ask you, McCollum to the Cavaliers with something, a big contract of course, going back to make it happen, make any sense at all to you. Tasks from either side or no, thanks, I've got gum.
Speaker 4: I am absolutely a Cleveland Cavalier's head. This is what I do in my spare time. I follow the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball club. I do not think they would make such a move. I just understand that he would be an upgrade. He is better than what he is This year, he was kind of on his way to being an All Star before getting hurt. Last year shooting eleven three is a game looking phenomenal twenty six points per game. That was his best year I am. I just don't think he's on the timeline of the Cleveland Cavaliers. As you said, thirties. It's not his, it's not his, it's not his place there in Cleveland. They have such a good thing going on right now. Kobe Altman has made some incredible moves to sneak in and grab Jared Allen in the four way James Harden deal, and then to draft Evan Mobley and Ricky Rubio. Yeah, he's not long for Cleveland most likely he's in his thirties too. But an upgrade there, it just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. I would rather stay young and you described Eric was said there and he's snuck in there that Jason Quick on the Athletic has talked to c J McCollum recently. The start of that article this morning, it's not usually. It's not a usual start to the article to an article. I was reading Jason Quick's article about c J. McCollums, so this I want to read it. I want to read Jason Quick's start here.
Speaker 5: This is how it starts.
Speaker 4: I was driving home Monday after the trail Blazer's latest loss, deep in thought about a ten minute conversation I just had with CJ. McCollum in the back hallway of the Motive Center when my phone pained it was McCollum. As I looked down at this text message, I was taken aback enough so that I pulled over and read it again. This is the quote for mccollumn. Oregon is my home always will be. I got married here, my son will be born here. We bought three hundred and eighteen acres here, that's a brig and started planting our vineyard here. This city and organization have been very good to me and my family were forever grateful and Jason quick writes. As my car idled on the side of the road, my mind raced that I miss something. Did McCollum get traded. I did a quick search. Nothing.
Speaker 5: Damn.
Speaker 4: I texted back. You made it sound like a goodbye. It's not a goodbye, he replied. I'm still here. My friend mccollm wants to be there forever. He ain't going anywhere. It's like him saying, I like it here. I don't want to go anywhere. But they have to make a move obviously, as we've talked about forever and ever and ever, and he could be in on that. But I don't see the Calves thing. I'm out. I'm out on the Cavs thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, Trey, what do you think of a McCollum to a Cavaliers type of deal, which again has to include basically a love or a Rubio type contract, and then Colin Sexton, I guess, being the key piece going back to the Blazers. I don't mind it. From the Cavs perspective. CJ.
Speaker 3: McCollum is an Ohio guy. Maybe a homecoming does him well. There would be a spot for him. I think as the two guard it would be not dissimilar to playing alongside Damian Lillard playing alongside Darius Garland in Cleveland, and they would be turning Rubio and expiring contract and the potential and the restricted free agency of Colin Sexton, a player that doesn't seem to be in their plans, turning him into a guy and McCollum who's got a couple more years on his contract. I think that's pretty good for the Calves, to be quite honest, and I think it definitely makes them better, especially considering they're not getting anything from Sexton for the rest of this year.
Speaker 2: Lee final thoughts on this one, I actually diminded as well.
Speaker 1: And now it may only get the Calves a few more wins and so to get them into the playoffs. But he's a steady veteran in a apart from last season, he's pretty reliable and durable c J. McCollum, and so he can give them that veteran presence of another guy who can score sextant. I think they probably are moving on from him, and yeah, Rubio is not really a part of their future either. So if you can get c jn it's only thirty, it can be looked at as like well that's old, or you can say, well he's still got a good two or three years left to sort of help this team continues its ascension. So I don't mind it. I think there's something there the Cavs. I think clearly Garland, Jared Allen and Evan Mobley is their sort of core. But if you can get a good veteran who you know can get you a bucket on the side there, that's not a bad little return for a team that's kind of moving on from those other pieces anyway.
Speaker 2: Okay, the other one I had from Brad was McCollum to the Timberwolves from a league Beasley and Torrian Prince. I don't think that's going to wow anyone here on the call, but yeah, what do you think of that move? Let's say for the Blaezer, is that enough? I mean it works obviously in the train machine tree Beasley and Prince get some wing help there for McCollum and moving off of him. I think that would be if this is something like that were to go down, there would be other trades to be had. Of course, Yeah, you'd have to do.
Speaker 3: Some of their moves as well, because that's not enough. When Ben Simmons is potentially on the table. I would rather have the Rubio Sexton love package as well. So I don't know, two bench guys for your your second leading score.
Speaker 2: That doesn't make sense. Yeah, yeah, I mean it becomes difficult with this just path that the Blazers might try and take. Here, Lee this idea of like you'd be trading these guys McCollum, Nurkic Covington for in theory good players now, because you'd want to be appeasing Damian Lillard and saying, hey, we're still good, we can be good, We're gonna be a playoff team, We're gonna go even further than we've gone. That's not obviously easy to do. It's much It sort of becomes easier to trade guys for like future pieces for flyers on young guys for picks and stuff like that. But then if you do that, Lillard's gonna be like, what wtf, man, why are we doing that? And then and then suddenly you could see your off in the summer of him going well, I want out of here if that's the plan. So it becomes I think that's the dance here. That's difficult for Joe Krohnin or whoever is making.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it doesn't make sense to trade those guys unless you're going to get some other draft capital in return, and then say, Okay, we've got to make this trade work financially, but we're doing it mainly so that we can start the rebuild process. And if you're doing that, then clearly you need to also move on from Lillard. I mean, there's no point in putting him in a rebuild situation right now. But yeah, on the surface, two bench kind of journeyman for a solid starter just doesn't That doesn't improve Portland at all. So I don't see why they would do that. But if the Wolves say, yeah, we really want that guy as a scorer, We'll give you these two guys and then we'll also give you a couple of draft picks, then at least the Blazers are like, well, that's something that we're building towards something, even if it's not this season.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move to Nurkic. He's averaging thirteen and ten this year in about twenty five minutes per game, shooting fifty percent from the floor. He's in the final year of his deal twelve million dollars he makes. He's depending on restricted free agent. He's represented by Clutch Sports. Don't forget that, all right, very important now, Rich Paul wants to get these guys paid, So probably any deal. If Nurkic is going out, the Blazers are gonna need some front court reinforcements coming back, and they also are going to probably try and make their payroll cheaper. So there were a couple suggestions. The first one was from man U not Jenobili, another man who Nurkic Covington got thrown in this one. And then probably a young player. Let's say this here little though I know the Blazers are high on him, to the Pacers for Sabonis and Jeremy Lamb. So nurk Covington and again probably a young player. Let's say this here little for now to the Pacers, task for Sabonis and Jeremy Lamb. Sabonis, get another Sabonis in Portland. Is this a move they should be looking, uh to explore.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, because, yeah, the Blazers would get better, the Blazers would do it. I'm sorry the Blazers. Yes, of course, they're trading for a start they're trading up, but the Pacers would just be another lateral move. That's just five good guys becomes I don't know, five and a half good guys, and you're kind of trading down. You're trading at Sabonis's peak for Nurkic's non peak. They're not getting better, So I don't think so. I think along with McCollum, along with even Nurkic, I know he's not playing his best, I think we're kind of undervaluing the Blazers. I know, I am, I know. You know McCollum would would go make the Calves a lot better at the shooting guard position, especially on a really good defensive team when he's struggled on the defensive end. And I think we kind of undervalue Nurkic and stuff. But uh yeah, I think that's that's It doesn't make the Pacers better at all.
Speaker 2: Great, that's a great trade for the Blazers. So I'm with you on that. Yeah, And I don't think Indiana, you guys are seem to be agreeing leally anything to.
Speaker 1: Add, Oh yeah, I'll taikema have a nakish. But I just don't see why the Paces would do that. To give up, to give up Sabarnis to get nurkitchen return. They would want some sort of draft assets I think, and yeah, signaling that they are then moving in that direction and probably then that is a bit of a domino effect on trading turner and when becomes available Brogdon as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, this one Nurkics to the Hornets, that's been a popular one. They could use a big guy to try and Guardoel and Bead last night to put up a better effort, at least put a hand up. So why don't we just do a NRK for plumb Dog again, that's Sam Vassini Nurkics to the Hornets for Plumbley and then one of their young front court guys. Okay, so like a Jalen McDaniels, like a Nick Richards, like a kai Jon. So that that would be the deal to get Nirkish to Charlotte, and then the Blazers in return getting like a prospect type guy and then a plumb Dog who has played there before. And uh and while he's a plum dog, you might have an opinion on him, but what do you think trade? No way something like this happens.
Speaker 3: Well, I love the idea of finally uniting a plumb Lee and a Zeller there for the Trailblazers.
Speaker 2: That would be just incredible.
Speaker 3: But to me, Nurkic going to the Hornets makes sense, but then trading several big guys does not make sense. Like you said, they need help inside, Nurkic would help. I'm not the biggest Nurkic fan, but he's certainly an improvement over Nick Richards, who they've been playing. But if you're trading two of your three centers to bring back one center, you're still one center down, and that's clearly been the biggest weakness for the Hornets. So I would rather trade one of their random backcourt guys, like maybe Booknight. He just hasn't had a chance to really get on the court, and it doesn't seem like he's necessarily going to with the squad they've got put together right now.
Speaker 2: But I do like the idea of Nurkic on the Hornets. Tess can make can you come up with something you know? Would the Hornets explore this, like Trey saying one of their young guys and then whatever else to make the contracts work to get Nurkic in there, and it could be a rental. This is the weird thing with Nurkic. I mean, it's like, you know, I don't know if you'd be agreeing to some sort of deal in the future. Again, you're going to be negotiating with Rich Paul and Clutch Sports, So maybe that concerns teams and like they're like, I don't want to be the one paying Nurkic, you know, fifteen million a year, No, thank you.
Speaker 4: But what do you think Nurkic is a Clutch Sports guy?
Speaker 5: I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: It didn't didn't seem like a fit to me. Nurkicen Clutch. That's a surprise. But yeah, the Hornets are long for a big guy, and yeah, they've been drafting athletic wing after athletic wing after athletic wing. It seems like there's a match to happen there and the Hornets, you go back a couple of years. They thought they had Markasol at the deadline before the Raptors got them. They are looking for an experience big and I'm not just thinking of white centers that would fit, but Nurkic would fit. Yeah, they wanted the soul. Now, Yeah, Nurkic would be nice, a nice player for them. And again, I know Nurkich has not lived up to the hype there in Portland at all.
Speaker 5: But ele Rental give it a shot.
Speaker 4: I mean the Hornets have They're just they're overflowing with all these these really athletic wings, So I could see something working there.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, Lee, I just think if the Blazers move off Nurkic, Blazers fans, maybe everybody would need to lower their expectations of what would be coming back in return, because you sort of think of Nurkic as a decent player when he when he is playing at his best, Blazers look like a really really good team over the last couple years, and then he has these weird funks where he's just like can't stay on the court because of foul trouble or you know, he's always like sort of injury prone a little bit too. And then he's like a big dip. But he's like, nobody's going to be trading for a guy that is depending on restricted free agent here, like a ton I don't think so. I think they would be hoping. It's almost like, uh, you know, the Raptors at the trading Kyle Lowry because he's going to be walking, so they're like, well, let's get precious for him, you know, Let's get a young sort of guy that will take a f and maybe has turned into a building block. And I think that's what the Blazers would be hoping for in a return, and maybe it is one of these young Hornets players.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the Hornets should give up one of those young players for the right piece coming back, and that again comes down to someone who you know is going to be there for way longer than Nurkic. Nukich is only twenty seven, by the way, it feels like he's older than that. I mean, so if you look at his age, you think that guy could have a long, still prosperous career. But he has had some big injuries too throughout his career, so you wonder about his durability in that sense. But the Hornets can't afford to try to hoard these young guys right now. They desperately need some interior help, so they should be prepared to at least give up one of them. Exactly who that is, I think Booknight's probably the one who's going to get the most interest from other teams. But yeah, I mean, if you can get rid of plumbing, you may as well. Anyone will take him.
Speaker 5: But they need to.
Speaker 1: Well they've got you know, they've got tradable assets there, Charlotte, so they have to give up something. Just not sure Nurkic, given his injury history and his contract status, they would be prepared to do it for that short term window.
Speaker 2: Here, all right, our final guy here from these Blazers were trying to move, Sir Robert Covington, thirty one years old. He makes thirteen million dollars also depending on restrict free agent. He's a talented help defender. I think we would agree career forty percent three point shooter, so he ken knocked down the three ball. He was traded a year ago to Portland for Trevor Ariza, a twenty twenty first round pick and a twenty twenty one protected first round pick. Yeah, I can't imagine that would be the return that the Blazers beginning in some sort of potential deal. But here's a popular one, Trey, you want him on the Bulls because Dave w says, Covington to the Bulls for Kobe White, and then maybe like a Tony Brown junior and a draft pick, like some sort of compensation.
Speaker 3: I don't mind it Robert Covington, an Illinois boy, doing a lot less, I imagine for the Bulls than he would be for the Blazers. And Covington, like you said, Skeets, is a great help defender, not a great on ball defender, which is good because the Bulls have some solid on ball defenders now with Lonzo and Caruso. I've been eyeing Covington, I've been eyeing Nurkic. I've even been eyeing Cody Zeller off the bench for the Bulls because they can use another backup big and another just a little bit more size there. And as we've seen through the beginning of the season, the Bulls are at least a good team. The league is maybe a little unsettled right now, so I don't mind throwing a young player like Kobe White into a trade to.
Speaker 2: Really try and go for a bit of an extended playoff run. Here, Jas, what do you think? Does that make some sense? Is that enough for the Blazers? So would they be happy with that, especially him coming up to a free agency If you moved Covington for Kobe White and Tony Brown junior and again like some sort of pick compensation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think they could even get that much for Robert Covington and the way he's playing right now. He's been benched in Portland, which is kind of bonkers. For the thirtieth best defensive team in the league, they're dead last. They put Robert Covington on the bench. I don't think they get a solid young guy in Kobe White and another guy. I don't see that happening. But yeah, the Bulls would love him, for sure. The Bulls would be very excited for him. But yeah, it's what the Blazers are looking to do. Is it time to implode and just go real young and try and try and get as much value and much return as possible for this roster that has peaked at one Western Conference final? Is it time? Is it the best move to get as much value as possible for even Damian Lillard? I think that's you know, it's a question, John Hollinger asked on The Athletic It's a reasonable question.
Speaker 5: What do you do?
Speaker 4: What do you do with this this roster? So, yeah, take a chance on Kobe White, who the Bulls were really high on and now he's become kind of an afterthought in that rotation.
Speaker 2: Again, that's like just goes back to the whole thing. Like if you're going to trade these three guys that we're talking about here, the Covington, Nurk, and McCollum for just trade assets, I mean, excuse me, like draft picks and young prospects, then you're literally just like for sure going to be like you are like otherwise you have to like try and get some talent back, and it's not easy, as I think we're proving here with some of these potential trade deals. How many thoughts on the Balls acquiring Comington though, and maybe a Koby wait being the keep has come back, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the Bulls would do that. A veteran good defender, he's got that seven to two wing span. Robert coming to remember, he was kind of the small ball guy in Houston. I think he was kind of playing center for a while because when they went totally small there with Darryl Mourray him and him at PJ. I think he is a good player who can hit that three at his best, and he's a reliable defender, and I think Kobe White, you know, you would give up that piece to get that veteran on your team because the Bulls are certainly closer to win now more than perhaps they thought they were going to be coming into the season, so it's worth it. But man, the fact that Neil Usha gave up two first round picks for Robert Covington, he should have been fired for that alone. Really, I mean, that's that's a sort of move that the general managers. Mate, that's just hampering the franchise. I think so, uh yeah, I'd like him on the Bulls.
Speaker 6: I think that's good.
Speaker 1: But if you're the Blazers, yeah, for a guy who's not part of their rotation now anyway, sure, why not take another young guy?
Speaker 2: I had some funny ones that people suggested as well. I want to share with you guys.
Speaker 5: I love this one.
Speaker 2: This was from Disney Alex Max on Twitter. Why don't the Pacers and the Blazers just basically swap all their guys and it works in the trade machine. Okay, Sibonis, Miles Turner, and Kris Lavert going to Portland for McCollum, Covington and Nurkic. Here you go Tass's R three for your three. There we go, no problem.
Speaker 4: The numbers work. I'm peering into this YouTube screenshot the numbers. That's Sabonis, Miles, Turner and Carolslavert very close in salaries. Yeah, I think that nineteen eight, eighteen and seventeen to five Carislvert. I take our guys who are underperforming a little bit, carosel Vert, specifically for your guys who are underperforming with the Blazers. And that's the thing, as I mentioned, like McCallum, Mcovington and Nurkic, it's the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Because McCollum, yeah, underperforming, but he's a virtual all star player. Nurkic it potted over thirty last night. You know, you see one of those games against you you think this guy, this guy can be a really good big but he will do that all the time. And who is that other Oh Covington, same thing. Yeah he could, he could play the five, just like Lisa a modern day wing. He could do it. But yeah, it's the Blazers. They're all underperforming. But yeah, trade them, they'll probably be better in a different environment.
Speaker 5: Why not?
Speaker 2: And then I love this one lately. This is a four team deal and it's just one player moving from each team. This one from biased CAZ fan. I'll show it to you here as well. Fun breakdown. McCollum to the Dallas Mavericks, Porzingis to the Kings, Dearren Fox to the Sixers, and Ben Simmons to the Blazers. What do you think, Lee, I? I wrote back to him. I said, if you could get Kyrie Irving involved somehow, this would be the you know, this would be Chef's kiss hanging in the left. But yeah, what do you think of it's fortune?
Speaker 6: So I like it for the Sixers.
Speaker 4: I like it for the.
Speaker 2: Mavericks. Okay, you must think for the Blazers. Yeah yeah, let's do it. Let's put the trig.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just trying to sort of, you know, put it all together quickly in my head here. But I'm saying that we would I mean, imagine the NBA on Twitter that day.
Speaker 6: That would be.
Speaker 1: Awesome, everyone just with their with their fire takes. So I would love to see the chaos of this trade happen. And if it can work, the GM should just go. Who gives a ship?
Speaker 6: Why not. Let's just try and see what happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how you keep a job. The who gives a ship is like the biggest jump in wins here. Plus if he goes to the poring.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, it's very weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there it is, Yes Simmons to the Blazers, McCollum to the Mavericks, Porzingis to the Kings, and dearon Fox to the seventy six ers.
Speaker 4: Biased fans not not far off, you know his his Twitter handles biased cash fan. But he threw together a pretty even trade.
Speaker 5: That's not bad.
Speaker 4: I mean the team that lead didn't you know, wasn't sold on was the Kings there because they're getting Porzingis in exchange for Darren Fox. But Darren Fox underperforming Porzingis right now.
Speaker 5: He's hot.
Speaker 4: Yeah again?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, he had a right run, a great run before that, one of maybe the best run of his career. But he's injured again. And uh, you know, hey, listen, we've got a fan out there who's been emailing this, you know, taking his victory lat where's all that talk about posingis now? I just want to say, where's the emails? Now that he's injured again?
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the posingis can be a great player, and we've seen flashes of it, but the two knocks on him are consistency and injury. So you know, if you're gonna come at us or me when he's playing, well fine, fine, fine, but you can't also then just not email when he's injured.
Speaker 6: Again, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's like a true Knicks fan who has gone through and Chris stabs. All right, so let's hear your trades for any of these Blazers. You can leave them in the stream team, you can leave them below this video, you can tweet them in at no dunk sync. It's not easy, I think, is the point here with a lot of these guys, to again get talent back that would in theory, get the Blazers back into the mix in the Western Conference, to keep Lillard happy and to go from there. It's just it's just not It's becomes easier just to be like, okay, everything must go, including Damian Lillard, and really really lean into a long term rebuild, and that might be what they have to do. I you know, I know, Trey, you sort of think that is the only really way at this point, because you can't convince yourself otherwise that a shake up trade will really do all that much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the question, And I guess the question for the Blazers is do you think that trading for Ben Simmons is a shake up trade or is that a serious improvement trade? Because you know, Ben Simmons has been a good player during the regular season throughout his career. He makes his team better, he plays defense, he gets easy shots for his teammates. In the playoffs, you got to deal with him not taking shots. Yeah, what's gonna happen?
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I would rather try that sort of middle path, where like Simmons bringing in Simmons from a column, you at least try it one more time with Damian Lillard before you know, he ends up wanting to go somewhere else, like it happened for Kevin Garnett, Right, They tried everything around Kevin Garnett and Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Eventually the writing was on the wall and they had to start over. Yeah. I think again, I'm still a betman. I think that's exactly what they end up doing, a McCollum move to like try and salvage their season. To try and keep Lillard happy and then go from there. I'm not convinced that whatever that move is Ben Simmons, somebody from the Pelicans, somebody from the Wizards, you know whatever. Maybe a potential Calves trade. I just don't think it's going to like catapult them up here. I really don't. They're in such a funk. But maybe they do, and maybe it will work. The shake up trade happens or works, I should say every once in a while tasks, but I think it's few and far between.
Speaker 4: For being honest, Yeah, what is the Blazer front office thinking? Yeah? And will the man there Crone and Joe Cronin, who's worked up his way through the Blazers hierarchy, and he's been there forever. He's a salary cap expert. Now he's got the rains. Does he have the rains to blow it up? Or does he have the rains to make one single trade? Which, yeah, that would make sense logically keep Dame happy. But I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Man, Maybe you have to maybe you just have to go for it. And just one one quick note before we move on, because he said, you're bet Manski speaking of betting a little bit later, we'll get to our pick and payoff. I didn't pick the Nets Mavericks game because christophs Porzingis was listed as questionable and I thought everyone's taken the Nets. But he's been upgraded to probable. So we're getting an email Lee, Chris is gonna be back on the floor tonight. It sure, it looks like so maybe it's not injured at all. It's a knee injury, so of course everyone worried seeing him in a very sharp suit with no tie on the sideline. But he might be back playing basketball tonight.
Speaker 2: We will see. All right, We're gonna take our final break when we come back. We got Lee's tweet of the night and picking results and our new pick for tonight. Let's get to tweet of the night.
Speaker 5: Tweet of the night.
Speaker 1: Woww Yes, I am going off the board for this one and going back to the homeland of my birth.
Speaker 6: In fact, because this comes in.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about? I'm going off the board and going Yes, I'm going after the board one.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 1: Usually you set me up, Usually say Lily, what you got I was waiting for it? Didn't have it anyway, I'm going to the KFC Big Bash League for this outstanding feat of athleticism by Jake Fraser McGuirk.
Speaker 5: Way, oh, I think he might have got enough.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable Frazer mcgod for the one handy screamer of the boundary of marble.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is from the Big Bash League in Australia, the twenty twenty competition.
Speaker 6: Now check it out. I've got some replays here of this cash.
Speaker 1: Just look at the athleticism of this because remember no gloves by the fieldsman in cricket.
Speaker 2: Look at this.
Speaker 1: Watch what he does here to catch this one. It gets up boom nice. That is incredible here it is again a.
Speaker 2: That that's a lot of a lot of fans in attendance for this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I'm not sure if that's coronavirus fro late at all.
Speaker 2: Eight people saw that catch?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just hey, you know what tweet of the week? Twitter the night you can go wherever you want. I thought, great, I'll chose some cricket highlights, great stuff.
Speaker 2: What's his name, James mc squirt, Jamie mcquar, what's going on there? What's his name? I'm asking?
Speaker 6: His name is Jake Fraser mcgook. Yeah, you seem a little bit. I don't know, it's saucy. Today's you know something in the air.
Speaker 2: Fantastic NBA podcast audio Watching Cricket highlight.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: What to catch, incredible stuff, incredible stuff.
Speaker 4: It reminds me. I played one year of mushball. It's softball with no gloves, That's what That catch reminds me of a lot of broken fingers, a lot of broken fingers in marshball, a lot of broken fingers and cricket lee.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, in fact you can't really see it, but I got a I've got a couple of broken fingers from cricket because, yeah, the ball's hard, especially when it gets whacked like that. I mean, you practice those sorts of things, so you learn how to sort of catch on that. But still, you know, you just catch it at the wrong angle or whatever, and it can, Yeah, it can do some damage. The catcher is called a wicket keeper in cricket. Now his fingers at the end of his career are like Alvin Gentry, Sean Marion. I think it's like catches in Yeah. I think like in baseball, aren't that you know, like Jje Posada, for example. I think all his or one one side of his hand.
Speaker 2: For example.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but they but they're only actually catches with one hand, doesn't he really?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably cricket you've got the two hands there, so, yeah, their fingers are all a bit a bit wonky.
Speaker 6: At the end of their careers.
Speaker 4: They learned to create all that as a kid, right, a cricket cricket cradler. Right, well, correct that thing you collect it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't want it because the balls going so fast. You don't just want to like go forward, You want to like catch it like that. Take the take the speed off it as you can.
Speaker 2: I got I got a question for really we got Noil buffs. That's a survivor podcast. You got Neil Breaks. That's an F one podcast. Where's the cricket podcast?
Speaker 6: You want a cricket podcast?
Speaker 2: No, I don't want people.
Speaker 5: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Hey? I had Mark war on this year.
Speaker 4: It was good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You want to talk catchers.
Speaker 1: You can check out Mark Wall's Highlight Real's Mix take of catches for the next.
Speaker 2: Tweet of the week. When you're going off the.
Speaker 6: Greatest greatest lips catcher of all time, Mark war So there you can there you go. Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Why not. Yeah, we've got a comment saying Cricket podcast, Yes if you're listening, and we're just saying, yeah.
Speaker 2: I like this leasing but is the sm give one more time?
Speaker 6: Hore passala?
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I can go to sleep.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But funnily enough, he used to bat without gloves, which is kind of ironic, isn't it, because most most batters wear gloves, don't they they? So yeah, ok, yeah I remember he was. He was great and no gloves, but he was the catcher.
Speaker 6: Interesting.
Speaker 2: You definitely talked to him in a piece down at the start.
Speaker 6: I did. They're part of that big piece I did with on Joe Girardi spoke.
Speaker 2: With also catcher.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't actually notice his fingers, but.
Speaker 6: He's the Phillies bench boss.
Speaker 3: These days, there is there a single notable America cricket player.
Speaker 6: Not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 1: Although Sammy Sosa grew up playing cricket. Apparently cricket was his first game because he grew.
Speaker 4: Up in Dear Was he Dominican?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, so apparently he was a good cricketer as a kid. But Danny A, No, he never played that right now, he played baseball didn't he Yeah, yeah, yeah, but the twenty twenty stuff is what I'm going to take you guys to one days where I have a fun time.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I like this from rich He says, what would the name of the Cricket podcast be?
Speaker 6: You say that, rich You say that, But there's no doubt in my mind. Guys like Richard be like, I've got a hate listen to this at least once or twice.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: They have to.
Speaker 1: They have to, just just in case they get intrigued by and they're like, Okay, there is something to this after all.
Speaker 2: Okay, great to me of the night, love it. Jamie mcdert. Jamie Frazer mcdert. Picking results from last day. Okay, see it was in Detroit. Distans were fav like four and a half. This brought to you by bet mgm man. Pistons were looking good, looking, like they would take care of business, no problemly got this and then okay see in the second half, storm Back got the victory straight up money line hit and Trey Kirby he calls it. This guy's perfect. In the month of December four and oh here in our pick them battle task down to two and two and me and Lee bringing up the rear one and three lately. Uh, no surprise for me, but chocking for you. Anyway, tonight's game task where we go and there's only three games on tonight?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the TNT double headler is Nets, Mavericks, Celtics, Lakers. Usually I'm definitely looking at the big games, but don't see we don't pick the league pass games. I'm going to a small market team like the New York Knicks playing the San Antonio Spurs. I thought that game would be a little bit more difficult to call. I thought we'd all generally take the Lakers or the Nets, considering Porzingis was out, so I went Knicks Spurs. And I'm the only one who thinks that the Knicks can bounce back against the Spurs team that was on a bit of a winning streak until they lost last night or a four gamer. But they lost last night and the Knicks, yes, some some questions as to what's going on with that rotation.
Speaker 5: R J.
Speaker 4: Barrett not looking great, but you know, they seem healthier, so I think they can bounce back. But why do you guys think that the Spurs will take care of business the team? Let's be honest. We rarely, rarely, rarely talk about on this show. Who's who's got a hot spurs? Take? Right now?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you my reasoning for taking the spurs. I have an app on my phone. It's called Flip a Coin. I fired it up this morning. I hit this little button on it, and the coin flipped, and I well, the home team will if if heads comes up, that's the home team. If tails comes up, that's the road team. And heads came up, so the Spurs are gonna cover.
Speaker 4: I did think that you were using some method of either bit. Why do you say that, Well, because I put in my pick and you immediately put in your pick, and so a lot of people have been saying to you, Hey, you've been losing a lot of pickums. Just go with the oppositey.
Speaker 2: You know, it drives me insane.
Speaker 5: No, I've done that.
Speaker 2: I've done that one hundred times. I'm like, oh, I can't pick one to save my life, so I'll go the opposite and then I just get it wrong. It doesn't work. So now I'm leaving it completely up to chance.
Speaker 5: It's a great app to have, it really is.
Speaker 4: When we because I linger, I like to linger doing a lot of things, and sometimes it's good just to have something just to shut my brain off and say, I'm going to make a decision using the old coin app.
Speaker 2: Yeah, flip a coin.
Speaker 4: This is my coin app is called flip a coin.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, there's ads all over it and pop up this morning. I guess I gotta buy the premium version of flipper coil.
Speaker 3: I got.
Speaker 5: The coin there.
Speaker 6: Why don't you just flip a coin in the old fashioned way.
Speaker 2: Nobody has coins anymore. You got coins corner?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I got a man's coin right here?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 5: Yeah, what is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It's Peter Manzanelli. He's a big crypto influencer. He should check out some of his stuff. The problem, though, is it's the same thing on both sides. Oh that's yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I went with essays because I knew we were going to be talking about Sammy Sosa today.
Speaker 2: I was just feeling the vibes.
Speaker 4: It's non fungible. I guess if it's the same on both.
Speaker 2: Sides, what do you got?
Speaker 6: I got a US a US one dollar coin rare.
Speaker 1: I got a couple of quarters here, and I've got even fifty euro since there you go and I got a Canadian five cents. Hey, you go the beaver, the Canadian beava. Well, love some Canadian beava five cents.
Speaker 2: A crap, the homeland of your birth.
Speaker 4: Justin you.
Speaker 2: Could you hurry up and get that classic factory and order. Man, Just all get back together, guys, call it there. Email your NBA questions in to No Dunks at the Athletic dot Com. Seriously here, we're gonna probably hit the beach. Tomorrow's only three games on tonight, so we'll do some beach step And if you've got a good question about the NBA or non NBA, send it in No Dunks at the Athletic dot Com. You can tweet it in at No Dunks and follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok. Grab yourself an Athletic subscription, go the Athletic dot com slash No Dunks And a reminder new no Breaks coming up very soon. It's our f one podcast live later today here at two pm Eastern on this very podcast feed. So no breaks coming at you until then. Up a rose.
Speaker 7: You heard it here first, have a great time, turn up, Love you guys awesome.
Speaker 4: Thanks for joining us, and remember, just like the end of the show. Sometimes I kind of you kind of hangs on a little bit, kind of lingers a little bit. Uh yeah, that's me making decisions a lot of the time. That's when my wife will say, do you.
Speaker 5: Have to do?
Speaker 4: You have to do?
Speaker 2: You have to do?
Speaker 4: You have to let it linger?
Speaker 2: You always put it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, yeah, I do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It loves the liquor. It lingers lyrics.
Speaker 4: It's one of those mental mashups, you know. I just just create new words for you.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, don't go anywhere gd I'll flip the coin and if it comes up heads, we gotta just ramble for another minute or two, okay. And if it comes up tails, oh, then I'll say embraces there. Here we go, tap to flip. Oh you hear that, girl. I didn't know how that little uh tails Embrace the day. People, you could stay every day.
Speaker 4: And that you happy every minute.
Speaker 3: It's been so long that you're the one I've waiting for.
Speaker 4: It's happened already. It's gonna be grippy.