Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number one oh nine of the Marine Layer Podcast. We have our infield preview for the twenty twenty four season, and we'll close out the show with speak your Mind.
Speaker 2: Before we start the show, here's your reminder. If you're listening, make sure to download our episodes, rate and review five stars. You're doing us a huge favor if you do, leave us a written review as well. If you're watching on YouTube, you see that big red subscribe button. Just click it takes a second to do, It's easy. Make sure to like and comment on the video as well. If you're watching and follow us on social media, We're on Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, and YouTube shorts at marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling, and we welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball Podcast network, recording here on Sunday, March third. By the time you hear this episode, Lal and I will be twenty ten enough, at least i'll be ten. I don't know about Lyle. Maybe he'll just be sunburned, but I guess we'll have to to find out. We'll be right in the heart of our Arizona trip and as our infield preview rolls along today. We'll start behind the plate with cal Rawley. But let's see on this Mariner's infield. We're gonna make it our goal to talk to every single one of these players while we're down there if we can, and then recillcrow around with our preview once we get back.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by recircle?
Speaker 1: Like, well, but they're like, hey, teach, I'm hitting forty bombs this year. I was like, oh, okay, we'll reevaluate now.
Speaker 2: I got you. Who's gonna be the one that say they'd hit forty bombs. Honestly, if it was Tie, I might perk my ears up.
Speaker 1: What a jump that would be. I mean yeah, I probably we would probably have to just say, all right, we got to do version two of this, because if Ti Frans is hitting forty bombs this year, this roster's gonna look look a lot different, a lot different.
Speaker 2: I'd be, you know what, I'd be playing happy if he hits twenty to twenty five and just gets his WRC plus back up to like one twenty five, one thirty. But you know what, we can we can dive into all of that.
Speaker 1: That'll be great. Let's start behind the plate with cal Raley the Mariners projected starting catcher here in twenty twenty four, coming off a twenty twenty three season where he hit two thirty two with a three zero six on base percentage and a four to fifty six slugging percentage, good for a one to eleven WRC plus four point seven fangrafts wins above replacement. He walks nine and a half percent of the time and struck out twenty seven point eight percent of the time. What is your outlook on cal Rawley's twenty twenty four season.
Speaker 2: I don't see why he shouldn't continue to repeat and replicate what he's been doing the last couple of seasons. There's areas he can still get better. He could still hit better from the right side of the plate, like his WRC plus from that side seventy nine. It's obviously much better from the left side, where all his power comes from. He can the ball a little bit better, like his blocks above average were down below average, And like there's areas he can still clean it up, like cal Rally may always be a strikeout guy. If you want to look at his strikeout right and say maybe he can bring it down a little bit. That's another area. But for the most part, you're talking about a catcher who by F four was one of the three best catchers in baseball. He let all catchers in home runs last year. You know he's got pop, you know he's got you know, he calls a good game, you know he's got a good arm, and you know he's probably gonna put out a similar season next year. And I think that's what people should expect. Average isn't gonna be crazy, home runs will be high. Ops should jump up like and be carried by the home runs and ultimately service one of the better catchers in the league. I think that's who cal Rally is at this point. I think he's proven that how.
Speaker 1: Many catchers in baseball can do what cal Rally does, like switch hit, I mean like switch hit plus power plus framing plus arm like Adly get that it's just might just be Adley. The switch hitting's kind of unfair because there aren't very many switch hitting catchers. But even if you just frame it as plus power plus framing plus arm, great team leader like, you still might just circle around to Adley and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the team leader thing certainly makes it interesting. I mean, maybe you throw Sean Murphy into there too, potentially, But it's the point is the list is short, and I honestly think people lowball cal Raley when they try to rank them in these preseason rankings, like we've seen on some of these catcher lists, They'll get put it seven, sometimes six, sometimes eight. I think he should be higher than that. I like, if they were up to me, cal Like again, especially when you finish top three among catchers in f WOAR, He's in the top five for sure.
Speaker 1: For me, I'm wondering if there is is there any more there for cal to unlock in his back I feel like a two point thirty average, the on base percentage could probably be a little higher, but if he's not gonna hit for a high average, it's really difficult to get your on base percentage higher than say three thirty if you're gonna hit two thirty. So maybe not there. His slugging percentage you could go up a little, but he just finished the season with thirty bombs. So like, if you're like, we're sitting here nitpicking, is there really another level for cal Raley to unlock In twenty twenty four at the plate, he would, like you said, probably have to take a huge step from the right side facing lefties. That like that would need to go up significantly for him to have a chance at it. Otherwise, you know, even if it's only a one to eleven, let's say, let's go right in the middle between his twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three campaigns, which was one twenty and one eleven WRC plus and you put cal at like a one sixteen. I mean, that's for a catcher. That is all you can ask for at the plate. You can't ask for anything more for cal Raley, and it's all you need really to be honest, you don't need cal Raley to be the best hitter on your team because you've supplemented the lineup around him for that to be the case. Where if you just take a mix of his twenty two and twenty three seasons, that's fine. You don't need anything else from cal Raley. What you need from cal Raley is what Scott Service needed from cal Rawley this offseason, where he's making his list of six guys he's gonna go talk to this offseason and like, hey, I need you guys to help lead this clubhouse this season in the wake of on financial uncertainty and who is his first call? Who do he call first? Lyle in terms of what cal Rawley and the offseason, who Scott was going to talk to? Who was cal he called first? Oh, that's first on the bocket.
Speaker 2: Well in terms of who Scott talking, Yeah, Like, it's funny cal Raley when he came up was pretty reserved, wasn't loudly spoken. Now he's one of the team leaders. He's definitively one of the team leaders. And a lot of catchers are, but some aren't. And Cal has very very evidently stepped into that role and done so very well. Might I add so? Yes, Like, along with everything he brings to the table at the plate and behind the plate, he also brings it in the clubhouse.
Speaker 1: And there could be, you know, as cal goes another year into his big league career, a little bit of a I don't even know if it's like an emotional maturity thing. I mean, you don't want like a public outbreak like there was last season. Cal Rawley, I think had a valid reason for speaking the way he did last season, But knowing how cal Rawly sort of retracted his statement and how he's felt like he's sort of grown in this offseason. I don't know if he would do that again, right, I don't think he would. He would do what he did in Game one sixty one last year again. I would be curious to see what happens if the Mariners have a situation like they did last year, where they start playing poorly, they're falling behind the Rangers and Astros, and things are sort of boiling up and getting frustrated for some of the core guys on this roster who might still feel not feel like the roster is good enough.
Speaker 2: I don't know if anybody would speak out again, and you'd probably see it happen internally, maybe in house or sorry, you wouldn't see it. Maybe it would happen internally. But I think in that scenario you'd see Cal either you know, take matters into his own hands and either maybe there's some players only meetings or maybe he has discussions internally with management or front office people, whoever. But I think more than anything, if they get behind early, you're probably gonna see I mean, you'd probably I mean, I don't really know, to be honest, I'm trying to think of even like, just think out loud here about what might happen. I don't know what would happen if they fell behind again. I'm sure Cal would probably try to motivate the guys internally, but you're right in the sense of I don't think anything would happen publicly again.
Speaker 1: No, and you know, maybe there might be comments off the record, but that's it, Like, I don't think you'd do that again. I think the point as a leader is you don't let that stuff get out. You don't give yourself the opportunity to feel vulnerable. I mean the Mariners certainly, when that came out and you saw the outcry from the fan base and everything else, you feel like the team is vulnerable at that point and not not as geled together because if you have someone willing to say that, whether it's intentional or not, you're demeaning other parts of your roster. And you know, that's all part of growing into the leadership role that Cal feels like he has to occupy this season. Like Scott Service leans on his players a lot to lead this team. So when times are tough, instead of you know, going and saying where like we need we need more, it's instead going to be how do I get the most out of this roster currently? We can all have our opinions on the Mariners spending habits. You and I have been very vocal about their spending habits on this podcast, and cal is welcome to have those as well. But for an organization that likes good pr you know, it's part of cal Rally's game and I'm curious to see how he handles it this year as we go on into twenty twenty four, so exciting season for col We look for the best offensively, defensively as well, and you know, continuing to be the ultra reliable guy behind the plate, and.
Speaker 2: They should extend him. That's what I'll end with. Well, they you know it was agent is. Yes, we know that it might be unlikely, but the Mariner should do whatever it takes to keep that guy around because clearly he wants to win, clearly likes the organization.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it sounds like he wants to be here too. And last I checked, I think Scott's lack of a little cash. He turned down of some huge paydays this offseason for his clients and instead it's going to get left with like thirty percent of what he was asking for. I think you might need a long term extension to sort of refill the coffers a little bit.
Speaker 2: That sounds great. You got to catcher in Seattle that wants to be in his home, in his organization that he came up with. So there's a match made in heaven. Speaking of a match made in heaven, the Mariners first baseman seems to have found a match made in heaven with his off season program over at drive Line This Winner. That's Ty France. He finished twenty twenty three with a bit of a disappointing year. The number sat at two fifty batting average with twelve home runs, fifty eight runs batted in, seven oh three ops one four WRC plus and just a half an f four zero point five. So Ty took matters into his own hands. He followed his buddy JP Crawford to drive Line This Winner. The results seem to be very very positive early on. He's shown some of it in spring training, and what he can do in twenty twenty four is kind of unknown. There's this balance of okay. The last year and a half, Ty France has had his major struggle. So the second half of twenty two after the injury, and a lot of twenty twenty three. But there's also the side of, well, we saw it work for JP, can this work for ty France? Where he just pops off? And I certainly think there's a world where he can. In fact, if I had to pick one side or the other, I think he will bounce back. But we also know that simply going to drive line doesn't just magically work for every single player. It depends on the player, and it depends on how they adjust everything they've learned to real games when the season starts. So there's a lot to unpack with ty Franz. But I think the general consensus is obviously Americers need him to be better than he was in twenty.
Speaker 1: Three, and there's a lot of spaces they need him to be better. I mean, you could say, yeah, he needs to be flat out better, but I mean, first of all, it's keeping his physique throughout the season. There's been some rave reports throughout camp of how in shape he is, how he feels a little bit faster, how he feels more athletic, and that he says he's open to playing bold first and third base, and that he physically feels like he can do it opposed to last season where he only played first base. So there's that, there's the staying healthy, not getting hit by a pitch, not having like a ball go off his wrists and have him affect an entire half season of his There's that, and then there's just sort of the redefined offensive approach that he had at Is he gonna hit the ball in the air a little bit more? Is it going to have a little bit more true power to it opposed to more of his softer hitting previous I'll say almost like previous life in that aspect. In previous seasons in twenty three and twenty two and twenty one, more of a light hitter, singles, doubles, a few home runs mixed in there. But this season, could he have true first base power with a more redefined swinging, a calmer batpath to the ball, a slimmer frame, more athletic, deeper in the box, farther off the plate. Does he feel like he can do that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Those are all the boxes I'm looking for ty france to check off. And we talked about the leadership with cal Rawley. Ty Franz was on that list too, even though ty Franz was worried if he was gonna even get tender to contract this year, Scott Service made it feel like ty Frantz was one of the guys on this infield who is a leader this year again and on him to keep his mentality and the rest of the enfield's mentality good as the season goes a long.
Speaker 2: What is a realistic expectation for ty France this year? I was gonna say, as you turned your light on, you're starting to get a little bit dark in there for those.
Speaker 1: A little bit now that beam behind us. But that's fine, we'll make it work.
Speaker 2: What do you think a realistic expectation is for Tye? I do think the power is gonna go up, and they're talking about he's pulling the ball more.
Speaker 1: But what do we think Probably not forty twenty five. I'd like to see twenty five. Like just let's let's do a marginal jump. Let's not let's not say ty France is going to double his like double his home run total. Now, if he does like a JP Crawford thirty points of WRC plus higher than his previous career high, then maybe we could talk about forty because then we'd be in the one sixty range. But I'm gonna say a marginal, a nice marginal improvement for ty France would be back to his previous career high of a one twenty nine WRC plus and twenty five bombs.
Speaker 2: Is it odd at all that, first off, I think that's about right, And now that he's pulling the ball more and seemingly hitting it with a little more authority, it does seem like a real possibility. Is it odd at all that when you look at Tye's peripherals from last year, when you pull up his Baseball Savant page, that his barrel rate and his hard hit rate were actually higher than they were in twenty one and twenty two when he was playing well, and he also with less. I don't know that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I do think it's interesting. I do think the randomness of baseball probably plays a fact into that, And I think ty could tell you that, you know, just because it's not always how hard you hit the ball, it's also where you hit it. And Tye admitted his swing last year felt kind of like just felt kind of off because he wasn't hitting the balls in the right spots. So even if he was technically, hitting the ball harder doesn't always mean it was better. So and then the results spoke for itself. And just think of how many hits ty Frantz left on the table because he wasn't fast enough, didn't feel athletic enough last year. Certain there's certainly enough to make that the case. So definitely an interesting point, but I feel like it's very hard to use past year's judgment to judge this year's ty France. I feel like Ty Frants can be totally different. I just feel like this is his mentality has changed so much to how he approaches the game of baseball and how he approaches his hitting, his fielding, et cetera, all this stuff. It's no longer Ty France training with Ty France in the off season. It's Ty France going and getting outside help to help him move along this offseason right and and become a better player and have a different swing path and have and be and be in better shape. And then and feeling like, you know, he improved his diet, which I'm jealous of. I need to I need to do that too. Man, I've been so lazy this year. Not not a good sign. But off the Ty France Tree of just doing that and like the little things of improving yourself, I think have a chance to make a massive this year, And which is why I think it's kind of hard to use past years to judge this year's version of Tie.
Speaker 2: And those third base rumors, man, those are interesting because I'll tell you what, not only if Ty's gonna if Ty's gonna be more athletic this year and he's hitting and feels like he's comfortable to move over to third base, not only does it give him more options, but Tyler Locklear, that dude's coming like He's already mashed during spring training. He's hit at every level of the minor league. He is on a fast track on his way through the minors. And if the Mariners think that back can help mid season, maybe defensively, it gets a little interesting. But if you had the potential that Ty France a third, Locklear at first and Mitch Garver dhing, whoo, yeah, that gets very good group.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's a pretty good group. How much third base do we think Tye's playing this year?
Speaker 2: I think likely not much, And maybe they just end up being rumors, But truthfully, a lot of it probably depends on Locklear because of Locker hitting so well that they say his bat has to be in the lineup. Well, you can't move Mitch Garverer. He needs to be a DH he catches. Not only does that take time from cal but that is how Garver's gotten injured. A lot of his career is catching. So I think it depends on what happens with Lockler. I don't think you'll see ty France play much third base early in the year. You can see it later.
Speaker 1: I'm just kind of I'd be kind of nervous with him over there. He has played in twenty twenty one and twenty two. I've somehow forgotten the fact he played nearly ten games worth of third base. He played eighty six innings of third base in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two. Managed to have four defensive run saved in those eighty six innings. That's not very good. Notice that a full season's worth of innings is what like seventeen eighteen hundred innings, So multiply negative four by eighteen.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're so it was negative four defensive run saved. I think at first you said four.
Speaker 1: Sorry, negative four, Sorry, that's what I meant negative four and it's out above average at first base has never been above thirty fifth percentile in a full season. That does not lead me to believe right now that ty France his offense could outdo his defense at third to be honest, but that's pretty better.
Speaker 2: But what if ty France is mashing and Tyler Lockler's mashing and Mitch Garver's mashing does.
Speaker 1: For having like fifth percentile defense over there at third base and the effect it has on your pitcher, does that outweigh it? I don't think it does. I don't know. I mean, seriously, think of how the Mariners infield is right now. You have questional defenders at shortstop and second base. You have right now with Arius and Rojas, a question market third when it comes to defense, and you would downgrade that defense by putting ty France at third base. So then you would have, no matter how good your first base defense is, your pitching staff would have to deal with one of the worst defensive infields in baseball statistically. That's what it is. I would be a little nervous with that.
Speaker 2: I'll just say it again, though. If everybody's hitting Locklear included, there has to be some solution, and that seems like the most likely one.
Speaker 1: Meridi's pictures would not be happy. They'd love to see the runs. Well, when a ball gets put in play routinely on the infield, you expect it to being out. And I guarantee you it's not Gino over there at third anymore. There's no it's it would be less likely to be routine. I'm just seeing what the numbers say would not be pretty lest they blew me away and cheach everything overnight.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, if Tie's get a completely new player at the play, maybe somehow he's cleaned up his defense too over at third base, and not even cleaned up, just gotten much better with it because he hasn't played over there that much and he doesn't have to be great. If he was even just league average. Remember how bad Gino's defense was when he came over here, and they said, if he can just be league average, then that's win. What if they what if Perry Hill can help tybee league average over there?
Speaker 1: Eventually would be a huge jump, a huge jump. But at least Gino was an infielder on the left side in the previous life. Ty France is not.
Speaker 2: That's true. Well, he he was a third baseman at one point. He played other positions, but.
Speaker 1: Well there's a reason he didn't come over to the Mariners as a third baseman.
Speaker 2: No, he did come over as a third baseman.
Speaker 1: He was he was a first. I think he was a first, last, second baseman.
Speaker 2: I think he was all three. But like he played everything in the miners with the Padres, I think I think primarily in the in the miners with the Padres, Tye played third. But it would it would, yes, it would be a jump for him to get back to that. That being said, Tyler Lockler's not making the team out of camp. It's gonna be a bit till he get called up anyway. So for now, obviously ty France will be playing for a base and more than anything, I think we're pretty excited to see what he can look like in twenty twenty fourth plate.
Speaker 1: So I concur let's get to the next position on this Mariners infield. Let's go to second base. Jorge Polonco acquired in a trade from the Minnesota Twins in twenty twenty three. He played nearly exactly half of the season, a two fifty five, three thirty five four fifty four slash line one to eighteen WRC plus in eighty games one and a half fangrafts wins above replacement, a walk rate of ten and a half percent in a strikeout rate of twenty five point seven percent. Is this the best second baseman lyle the Mariners have had since Robinson Cano? It feels like an easy yes.
Speaker 2: I'd say it's definitively yes. Orge Polonco in his last four full seasons has put up a WRC plus of one to eighteen or better. That's consistency. He didn't have a great year in twenty twenty, but again I kind of throw that year out the window for any good players who had down years because it was such a fluky year. Porge Polonko is absolutely the best offensive second baseman this team has had since Robinson can Out. And there's some things he does very well, Like you know, he can hit for some power. He hits fastballs and change ups particularly well when you look at the breakdown pitch by pitch of what he mashes versus what he doesn't. But the guy has to stay on the field. That is the key. Played eighty games last year, we know this is a we know this is a cloud hanging over the head of the Mariners this year. Is this seam going to be really good if guys stay healthy. Polonco is one of the main factors when you're talking about that topic. He has got to stay on the field. Eighty games last year is not enough. The Mariners need him on the field for one hundred and thirty plus games to do what they intend to do in twenty twenty four. So if Jorge Polanco stays healthy, this is going to be one very, very exciting second basement to watch.
Speaker 1: Offensively, on our Wednesday mailbag show, I chose Jorge Polanco as the Mariners' most valuable hitter after Julio Do you want to know why that is? Lyele? I played a fun exercise when I was prepping for this. I went back and I looked at the last five seasons of Mariner's second base production. Cover your ears. If there are children around, I don't think they want to hear these numbers. Ops by year at second base twenty nineteen, six ninety seven, twenty twenty six oh four, twenty twenty one, six fifty three, twenty twenty two, six oh seven, twenty twenty three, six oh seven ops. I mean, my god, like Jorge Polanco could have one of the worst hitting seasons of his career, say a seven to seventy ops and nuke the Mariner's pass production of second base out of the water. I mean that is like, that's the level of upgrade we're talking about with Jorge polonkos someone who has the potential to have plus power. He has a thirty homer season in his career, He can walk over ten percent of the time, and at his peak, he doesn't strike out that much. I have a feeling his strikeout rate last year was due to the fact he was never fully healthy when he was playing. Last year. He dealt with hamstring issues, he dealt with knee issues, and you know, when you're in and out of the lineup, that can mess with your timing and therefore lead you to strike out more. Which is twenty five percent strikeout rate was the highest of his career last year. But at his peak, he's like an eighteen to nineteen percent strikeout rate guy. So if you can pair that with a ten percent walk rate plus power, don't let's not talk about his defense at second base. I mean, we're talking about the Mariners middle of the order, bat at second base, right behind Julio or behind Garver or behind cow or wherever they decide to put Jorge Polanco. That's the kind of guy you're putting there, and that's the kind of guy I'm I'm excited to watch this guy this year. I am through the moon to watch Horge Polanco.
Speaker 2: This is the guy who hit thirty plus home runs just a couple seasons ago. Like, this guy has real power, and he hit in Minnesota. Minnesota is not a hitter's tark. So the guy can hit anywhere. And if he's just healthy, You're talking about such a booze at second base for the Mariners, Like the two former twins. They acquired Mitch Garver, who I guess was from the Rangers because he hit free agency after playing for the Rangers, but he was a twin. Mitch Garver, Jorge Polanko, those guys hit. Oh. This team looks way different than it did a season ago. And Polonko specifically, if he can stay healthy, if he cuts the strikeouts back down, if he shows some of the power that he very clearly has and can hit gap to gap two, which we know he can. Oh, like look out, like this offense gets that much more deadly. Like there's so many factors with this too. Everybody talks about the health thing with the negatives. What if everything goes right, What if Polanco's on the field all year? What if ty France really makes all those drive line improvements and looks similar to how JP did last year, all those things, Like, there's a world this team can be really scary offensively.
Speaker 1: I will note defensively, he is a sub twentieth percentile awaa guy in his prime, and that is not projected to get any better as he ages in his career. He's gonna play some second base. I'm gonna guess it's some point he'll play some third base this year for the Mariners. I hope it's gonna His offense is gonna be enough to outweigh his defense. I know JP Crawford said that he was very excited to turn double plays with Jorge Blanco, and he's excited for Jorgey on defense this season. I would like to see it with my eyes that the numbers aren't as bad as they seem. I hope, because again, as we highlighted in Ties preview, getting a little nervous about this infield defense.
Speaker 2: Look, there's trade offs. When you need bats as badly as the Mariners do, it's hard to find guys that are that good on both sides of the ball. So Polanco's a great hitter, but his defense is a little lackluster. Like he does not grade out well at second base. You just outlined it. Now, maybe Perry Hill can help him out. Maybe they can shore some things up, and he's at least a step better than he was last year. But on the flips that he was much better at least arm wise, and Colton Long was like Colton Long didn't have much of an arm over at second base, which I didn't think would really matter for playing the position, But then seeing when you really grate out that poorly with your arm strength, they can play a factor. Planko's not that now. He may not have great range, but he can turn double plays that need to be turned. So that is a plus to start, It is a start.
Speaker 1: I Polo is gonna be He's gonna be fun. He's gonna be a blast to watch.
Speaker 2: I can't, I cannot wait before we get to our next position, let's take a quick pause and talk to you guys about our friends over at Pigatcha's Pub eighty five over in Kirkland. The season coming up, string training games going on, regular season just a few weeks away. You need a spot to go watch the games. Head over there. You can hang out with your friends, have some great food, great drinks. There's pool tables and there's twenty two TVs in that place. So if there's other games you want to watch too, March Madness is about to start. What a great place to go watch some games where you've got all the TVs you need. And if you head over there during happy hour you can get some great specials too. They're happy hours or Monday through Friday two to six pm. It features three dollars domestic beers, four dollar Manny Blue Moons toward dollar mac and Jack's toward dollar Wells, and four dollar housewine. All that, along with a great time with your friends, is over at Pigatcha's Pub eighty five in Kirkland. Getting a short stop. The longest tenured guy on the Mariners infield, JP Crawford comes off a season. Yeah, he's been here since twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: So that is wow.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what he's been here a long time now, like he is nineteen twenty, twenty one, twenty two, it's five years. He's entering his sixth season in Seattle. Like, we've gotten pretty used to seeing JP Crawford play, and last year, man did he put it all together? Offensively? It was his best season by fari hit two sixty six nineteen home runs, He had an eight eighteen ops that was a career high, a one thirty four WRC plus that was certainly a career high, and just a hairshy of five wins above replacement. What a revelation JP Crawford was last year. And not only does he still walk a lot, he doesn't strike out. He is everything you could ask for in a leadoff hitter for a competitive ball clet.
Speaker 1: Does he have any more in the tank offensively? Can he? Is there another level for JP Crawford to unlock? Like I'm trying to think because his home run to fly ball rate was about twelve and a half percent last year, that's not terribly above league average, which is about ten percent. Is there a way he can get some more?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is there more home run power in that bat? Is he going to hit for a higher average? He already, He's probably not gonna walk more than fourteen percent of the time. Again, it's like, that's a really high number, a really high number for him. But are there other areas that JP Crawford can unlock offensively? Because this dude turned from a guy who the Mariners would tuck away at the end of their lineup to give a good at bat in the end of the game too. He's your second best hitter behind Julio. And you know, I think it's a little unfair to expect JP to repeat his which I would guess is about a ninety fifth at least percentile offensive season for him in twenty twenty three. But can he get back to about ninetieth? Can he do that again? Can he repeat his success and stay at the top of that lineup and be the catalyst? Like, can we get the outlier season from JP Crawford again, with the MVP season from Julio, with a healthy Mitch Garver's season, with a healthy Jorge Polanco season, with a full cow Rawley season, with a turned around Ty France season? Can we please get that? Can we please? As a Mariner fan, I'm asking, can we please get that?
Speaker 2: With a Dom canzone breakout with Luke Rayley continuing his success from last year, like all of it, Like if everybody clicks, there's no weak spots in the lineup, there is a real world. There are no weak spots in this lineup this year. And if you want to talk about JP, look, even if he doesn WRC plus one thirty four again, there's no reason he can't be in the world twenties. If he's got a one to twenty WRC plus, has a ten or eleven percent walk rate ops is still above eight hundred. That's your leadoff hitter. And if he hits fifteen home runs instead of closer to twenty, that's still absolutely your leadoff hitter, and a really good one at that. So I think this is real what JP Crawford did last year. Even if he doesn't take a step above the one thirty four mark WRC plus wise that he had last year, this is real. I fully believe that what JP Crawford did last year is in some form or another here to stay at the plate. And that is such a difference for the Mariners. If JP had not done what he had done last year, not only would the Mariners have a lot more questions going into this season. They wouldn't have even been in the race to make the playoffs last season because they really at points of last year did not have much consistent offensive production of anybody besides JP Crawford. He was the constant in that lineup. He was the consistent back and I think he's gonna do it again this year.
Speaker 1: Not only that, and we know Julio finished fourth in MVP last year. JP was the most valuable hitter on the team last year period. So and there are some numbers that Luke Arkins, who's a great follow on Mariners Twitter, laid out why he thinks JP can continue his success in twenty twenty four. Luke pointed out like his barrel rate and hard hit rate were way up. I mean, those are numbers that are consistent with success, and barrels means you're putting the ball in the air, and that's a good point. JP nearly doubled his average his average launch angle last year, and hitting the ball in the air more leads to more success. JP Crawford had a problem with putting too many balls on the ground and too much weak content. He started hitting the ball harder, and he started hitting it in the air more while especially utilizing his pole power. If those are all traits that trickle over to twenty twenty four, I mean we can expect a better season, not a better season, a good season, another season like the one he just had, and not one that is representative of the past seasons of JP Crawford. The question is there anything left in the tank defensive? Can he find a way to get play some better defense than he did last season, which he ranked in the fifth yeah, fifth percentile ouse above average. He had a lot of trouble going to his right in the hole at short. Is there a way JP ca can can get back up to league average?
Speaker 2: If he does, we're talking about a guy who could legitimately be an MVP candidate if he repeats what he did last year to play. If JP Crawford had done what he did last year at the plate and he'd even played league average defense, you're talking about him going from a five war season to six plus. And if he'd played the defense he played a couple of years ago, now you're talking like seven plus. So I don't know if he's going to return to his gold glove form or what he was in twenty twenty one also, But even just getting back to the league average rains or slightly above it makes such a difference. I mean, you've talked to you're worried about this infield defense. If you're going to pocket one spot of this infield defense, it's the five to six hole. And we'll get to third base here in a bit, but at least in certain situations, it's the five to six hole. Because when JP Crawford moved to his right last year, like you talked about, his season total for outs above average was negative five. There are some areas he still is better, Like he's good moving in on baseballs, when he moves to his left on baseballs, he's better. It's that backhanded play going toward third base. Negative eleven outs above average is where he ranked going laterally towards third base last year. So if you look at that five to six spot and Luis Arius, who will get to in a minute, are sharing time over there, like that could lead to some C and I hits and maybe balls that were stopped a year ago. I think JP Crawford finding a way to shore it up a little bit next this upcoming year, YEA makes such a big difference. He does not have to win a Gold Glove, but just a marginal improvement could do a lot.
Speaker 1: Just think of a guy like George Kirby, who's like, at least as of right now, he could jump his strikeout rate up this year. But George pitches to contact for the most part. That's how he is so efficient on the mound, and a fishing contact means a lot of balls on the ground. The more balls on the ground against this Mariners defense that can get turned into outs, the better the pitcher looks. But if every marginally tough ball on the infield, especially to the poll side, for a right hand hitter, who are represent eight seventy percent of the hitters in Major League Baseball, if you know, five percent of those start going for hits instead of our outs, like, that's a problem. And especially for your shortstop who is on a contract extension getting paid very handsomely to be not only a good hitter, but a good defender as well. And if he can't replicate that, though, there's certainly reason for concern at the hole at shortstop this year. But I mean, offensively, you still expect JP to you know, he could beat a third best hitter this year behind Julio and Mitch Garver, or the fourth best behind Julio and Julio, Mitch Garver and Jorge Polanco. That would be great too. Some aspect of that would be great going into this twenty twenty four season. Now, if we shift over to third base, lyle, this is where the concerns start. I want to start with Josh Rojas at third base. Got traded to the Mariners at the trade deadline, coming off a season where he hit two forty five three to ZHO three three thirty eight one point one fangrafts wins above replacement, striking out twenty three percent of the time and walking seven and a half percent of the time. Can he get back to the nearly three win player he was in Arizona a season prior in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: That was I think he showed some flashes of it once he got to Seattle. Because his his numbers as a whole last year weren't great, his numbers when he got to Seattle were a lot better. He hit two seventy two with a seven to twenty one oh ps. He also thrived in the month of August, where he hit two eighty eight. He saw a little bit of it last year. The change of scenery seemed to do him some good. And the fact that along with Rojas being the three win player that he wasn't twenty two, he's a good defender. Like so the earliest part of it will get to in a minute, but the Josh Rojas part of this, Like, he put up six outs above average last year, And I know he played a lot of second base last year, but third base is more his natural spot where he spent a little bit more time. So if you have Rojas over at third base, I think you feel a little more secure about what you're getting defensively from the hot corner. And Josh Rojas is not going to hit thirty bombs. That's not what he's here to do, frankly. But if he can play some good defense, the on base is good. He's a real lineup flipper out of the nine spot, where he proves to be a guy that can get on base a lot, drive in a few runs, and play good defense. I think he can be a three win player. Even if it's not three exactly, he can be a two win player, which is very valuable, especially in a platoon. So yes, I think Josh Rojas has the chance to turn it around. I think you saw him start to turn it around last year. You just have to see it continue.
Speaker 1: I'm very curious how he's going to look in a platoon because last year his platoon splits were dead even like down the middle eighty three w orc plus each side. He is slightly better against right hand throwers for his career, but it's not like Louis Sirius, who's actually a platoon bat who has done significantly better against lefties in his career than he has against righty's. Rojas, there's not that much of an advantage, and I'm hoping that there's still enough there offensively for him to do well with even when he's not like a true platoon bat in that case. So that's I'm not expecting an all world offensive season from Josh Rojas. I think you and I just talked about. The biggest thing we want to see from Josh Rojas is to get on base at the bottom of the lineup. He doesn't need to hit for a ton of power, does need to hit for a high average, but can he get back to his career walk rate of like over ten percent? Can he do that because every season in his career prior to last he was over ten percent, and having that ten percent walk rate out of the nine hole means you're gonna have a ten percent in the nine hole, and then you're gonna have wake up JA. Let's say ten percent for JP. We'll go nice middle ground ten percent for JP. Then you got Julio Polanco, cal Garver, those guys all right after them, and that gives a lot of RBI and runs scoring opportunities. That's the most important part here for Josh Rojas. He's got to score some runs for the guys hitting behind him.
Speaker 2: The walk rate's gonna be huge, and that played a major factor into his difference in offensive production between twenty two and twenty three. Again, I don't think people should just forget what he did here in Seattle last year once he got traded over. I think that makes the difference. He was a good player last year. Legitimately, he was a good player that hit out of the ninth spot and did his job. So if he's dead, even platoons splits wise, I don't really think it matters which side of the plate he hits against. You're just trying to help ry us out in that way. And again, if he plays good defense and he gets on base, that's the key. But again, that walk rate jumping up for Rojas will be what to watch in twenty twenty four because if he can get it back up, that's like, that's a big difference. Again, you talk about a lineup flipper. He was already kind of doing it last year once he got to seattle out of the nine spot, But if he starts to walk a lot again, it makes him that much more impactful.
Speaker 1: And let's just remind people what the best version of Josh Rojas was like. In twenty twenty two. He had a one to ten WRC plus of the plate, walked over ten percent of the trunk the time, struck out under twenty percent of the time, he played about eighty percent of his time at third base. That is the player the Mariners are looking for this year. Third baseman not striking out a ton, walking a decent amount ten percent better than league average at the plate. His defense for his career third base is below average. It's negative defensive runs saved, but league average is what the Mariners hope for, because if he was a league average DRS guy at third base, he'd be the best defender on this infield this year as of right now.
Speaker 2: It is funny how how different this defense looks all of a sudden, because that was one of the Mariner's strengths for a while, and now that is one of their question marks. And it may ultimately get resolved, and I hope it does, but it is something to watch. Now. The other side of this platoon, you've got Luis Arius, who is in major need of a bounce back year. The guy hit one ninety four last year, three home runs, six thirty six ops, eighty three WRC plus negative zero point one. Van grafts War I think I was a little higher on the Luis Arius bounce back than I will about two weeks ago than I am right now. But the fact he can't throw the ball and reportedly isn't in the greatest shape, it's a little worry. Some we talked about that.
Speaker 1: So as of this week, he was lightly throwing the ball across the endfield, which is a start. It's still a question if he's going to be on the opening day roster, which again, if he can't even be on the opening day roster, then people are saying, like is there a point of bringing him back at all. He has hit okay in spring training in a small sample size so far at DH, and he does have a tiny bit more upside in the bat than Josh Rojas does. He has a more clear platoon split than Josh Rojas does. He's about over ten percent above league average against left handed pitchers, which is good, But the question is he's not a great defender. There have been now two teams that have let him go with options remaining as a former top prospect, with the ability to keep him in their organization, and they decided to get rid of him. Anyways, how like, what are the Mariners going to find something this year? Is he going to show proof to them he belongs in the big leagues and doesn't deserve to get cut? Is he going to be able to not just have a disastrous season at the plate again? And the Mariners can't have two third basement slugan or four hundred this year because that's what both of these guys did last year. You can't have that again. Third basemen. They need to pick up their weight when it comes to hitting. And if Louis Airius can't do that, and he's you and I think probably the first guy off this roster. If that's the case this season, probably the most replaceable guy, especially when you have a couple infielders down there. In our mail bag, we talked about Cole Young, Tyler Locklear could come up, Ryan Bliss could come up, Like all these guys have the opportunity to come up and get some time on the infield. If Louis Sirius can't do what he did in twenty one and twenty two at the plate. So there's a lot of question marks surrounding this guy, and we're gonna have to see as he gets healthy and as he gets more playing time.
Speaker 2: So you sound kind of nervous about third base, and I heard a lot of defensive questions in there, but you are also nervous about ty France playing third base defense. So it sounds like to me, if we get to this point, Locklear gets up, you take the bat.
Speaker 1: Well, you got it? Yeah, I guess you gotta good. You got a solid point there, I guess. I guess if we reach that point where it's just an ultimate cult long level performance at third base, then pretty much anything else at third base would would suffice. So we'll cross that Bridge. When we get there, we'll see, we'll see how the season shakes up.
Speaker 2: Okay, and again for the record, no matter what the role Josh Rojas plays, whether it is strictly at third baseman, whether he starts being an infield platoon guy, I think he's absolutely gonna have a role on the team. I think he is going to be valuable, and I think he is going to stick around long term. It's just it's urious who I think the question marks revolve around. So if it got to a scenario where Locklear got up played first base ty France, when the rohas would play some second base, he'd still play a couple times a week. He'd fill in either defensively late in games, or he'd you know, get a start here and there. But but yeah, it's I think Urrius is the question mark, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: And Urius can save himself if he hits, because the Mariners needs are gonna need some offense at third base. If he hits, we probably won't be having these discussions because the worry will be out the door for the most part. But if he can't hit, then we're really gonna start having an issue. There is a guy who could see some time at third base on the bench for the Mariners. That could help supplement their production throughout the season. But before we get to Dylan Moore, let's hear a word from our friends at Simply Seattle. We love Simply Seattle because they're the best place to go for Pacific Northwest themed sports gear online. Go to simply Sattle dot com and you can use our code Marine fifteen for fifteen percent off a check out. They have all the best Huskies gear, Seahawks, gear, Sonics, cracking Mariners, anything he could want in the Pacific north West. They have you covered at simply Seattle dot com. Use our code Marine fifteen for fifteen percent off your order. Well, Dylan Moore is going to get to occupy his true role this year. He's going to be off the bench. He's going to be a true utility guy on the infield and the outfield this season. He's coming off a bit of a down season in twenty twenty three compared to his his best season of his career in twenty twenty two. He hit two oh seven, three oh three four twenty eight a one oh five WRC, plus only had half a win above replacement by fangrafts. He struggled to stay on the field and he struck out a career high thirty four percent of the time. What does your guy have to do this year, Doug.
Speaker 2: Well, First off, he's healthy and in camp. That was such a problem last year again, like go look at the bats still and Moore had. When they sent him out on a rehab assignment, it was sped up. Like he went out, got a few at bats, he had a setback, so he had to go through some more rehab process again. Then once he got close to playing games, that kind of set up as at bats again and he didn't have a full spring. In fact, he had no spring last year and he didn't have a whole lot of at bats to get acclimated. Now he's healthy, he's getting at bats. I think that's the biggest key point Here's he is fully healthy and taking part in big league spring training. That's number one. But yes, he cannot strike out that much. He's got to find his power stroke again. We know he can hit lefties when he's at his best, But I think the health factor is going to be such a key now. If Dylan Moore comes out and has struggles again in twenty twenty four, despite being healthy. We might have some different things to look at. But I genuinely think missing all a spring last year made a big difference, and not a good way.
Speaker 1: I'm sure didn't. He probably was guessing more at the plate. I did have some concern though along those lines on see if he corrects himself a little bit this year. He's chased eleven percent more pitches outside the zone last year than he did the year before. And Demo's a guy who's supposed to have a pretty good idea of the strike zone. He's supposed to like walk at a decent clip and understand like his strike zone and his power profile. But if he's not doing that again for a second consecutive season, then we're gonna have some trouble. Because he was chasing more, he was making less contact on those pitches, and he overall because of that, was a less productive offensive player. And the Mariners like some of those signs, some of those chase signs and the down contact numbers. Sometimes that relates to aging. If Dylan Moore is aging poorly him just into his thirties, like that's an issue, and the Mariners would then think about someone after coming off the season and they struck out too much. Can't have a guy on their bench striking out thirty five percent of the time without the really top of the line power. So it's interesting. This season is big for Dylan Moore and his future on the Mariners after this season, I think for sure.
Speaker 2: If you're not performing in your role as a utility player, there are other utility players that you can find. However, as the reason I am such a big Dylan more guy, when he is at his best, he is a perfect utility player because he legitimately does everything. He draws, walks, has power, steals, plays all these different positions. So let's see what the health does for him this year. I agree that he cannot chase that many pitches. Again, I agree that he's got a yeah, he's got a zone in his played approach a little bit more like he was doing in seasons prior. But you know, he can play a real role on this team when he's at his best. Now, his role is gonna look a little different this year because I think we're gonna see him play a lot more infield than outfield. At least that's how it seems for now. Do we like that better. I'm gonna be honest, I always liked him as an outfielder, not that he can't play the infield, but I thought he's said out there.
Speaker 1: He's better as an outfielder. Like numbers wise, it backs it up. He is a better outfielder than he is an infielder. The problem is you now have, like we mentioned in our mail bag that you know he's probably the backup centerfielder to Hulle Rodriguez, but at this point in the corners, they're pretty set on corner outfielders. They don't like. Demo's best spot is left field. I'll say, like in the outfield, that's his best defensive spot. But the Mariners have multiple guys who can occupy left field this season, so they don't need Demo out there unless it's an emergency. They need him more on the infield, which are his worst spots. He's a pretty bad defender at short for his career. It's not much better at second base, and certainly not much better at third base either, So it might not be his best spot defensively, but whereas bat fits in, it's probably what you're gonna have to end up with.
Speaker 2: M hm. Yeah, So look Ultimately, I'm sure he'll still play some outfield, but you'll probably see him more on the infield this year, and hopefully he gets back to the Dylan Moore he was in twenty twenty two, because in twenty twenty two he was a one twenty six WRC plus guy. This is what I mean when Dylan Moore is at his best. He's very good to have that type of guy as a bench bat. Good stuff, last guy. Very quickly, before we get to speak your mind, I figured we should at least throw in a word or two about about Sebbi Zavalla. I know we got off from the catchers for a little bit, but as we're looking at the bench players, obviously he's he's probably gonna see playing time once a week, maybe twice a week, because cal Raley takes such a load of the catching, but because he's a good defender. At least in the past he's put up some offensive production. If they can get him back to even you know, an eighty five ninety WRC plus guy, it might give cal the ability to get some more days off this year and stay a little healthier and get less dinged up, especially because again Zavala is a good defender, so if you need him late in games, he can do that.
Speaker 1: One of the things I really hated when over the last couple of years is when they would on a Cal's off day, they'd have to pull him off the bench to hit. I really hope that the lineup depth around Sebbi, Savala, and just around this roster overall is enough that cal Rowly actually gets full days off. I'm like, can't we can't keep pulling cal Rawly into the lineup on his off days to have him hit in a big spot, because you know what, the roster should be deep enough around cal Rawley where he does not have to do that. Let's get this man some days off. Sebbi can play defense and the other eight guys in the lineup can match. Can we please just let that be a thing. Let that be a constant for this lineup this season, because we're talking about like the health of cal Rawley's knees in the future, especially if you want to extend him. Let's try not to run him into the ground before he reaches his free agency, please and thank you.
Speaker 2: And that was the problem last year. Tom Murphy was injured for a portion of the year. They had to bring up Luis Tonza one point to be the backup catcher. They didn't trust them behind the plate. So now you have a real backup catcher with sevi'savalla. So that is good news. And hopefully he continues to play good defense and even maybe hit a little bit too again, there have been years in the past where he's hit decently, just not last year. Maybe he'll bounce back. That'd be great if he does. All right, let's get to speak your mind. Speak your mind spot. That would be unwise. What is necessary is never unwise. Well, TJ, would you like to tell everybody what's on your mind this week?
Speaker 1: Well, as you might have noticed, I've been in two different locations for this episode. We've been having a lot of technical issues over the last couple of months, a lot of it on my end, and I've officially made the decision that I need a new computer. Sucks. I hate that's a lot of money to dish out, but I'm actually kind of excited to get a new laptop. Like I love my laptop. I've done a whole lot on this laptop. This is my graduation present from college. It has served me well. But the hardware limitations have finally caught up with us and has led to some very long long episodes in length, not in actual length recorded, but length sat here and actually tried to get through the whole recording self. It's been a been a pain of the ass. So I'm gonna we're we're gonna make an upgrade and Laloni's time will all of a sudden become much more free because I imagine we're gonna have a lot less issues with uh, with hardware limitations and lost recordings and and stuff like this. So I'm excited to uh to have some new technology. It's gonna be it's gonna be fun and yeah, but trying it to get too sentimental over this, uh, this quote unquote old thing that's only actually barely three years old.
Speaker 2: I will say, uh for this episode. If you're watching on YouTube, for this episode, TJ is not in two different locations, but we recorded a pair of episodes here on Sunday before the two of us took off for spring training.
Speaker 1: So good point, exactly, the point of everything all blending together and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it is all blended together. So for what it's worth, TJ knows this for I guess Transparency or anybody that is curious. Probably none of you are. But I got a new computer at one point in this of doing the podcast too. For me, it was because trying to edit and upload things it was taking forever like upload shows to YouTube, is what I mean. And as a result, it just got to be too much of pain, and I said, Okay, we've got to do something else. Therefore, I got a new computer. So TJ, you're not alone. And for the record, maybe it sucks thinking about it right now, but once you have it, you're like, man, this is this is a nice sigh of relief. Yah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The problem is I really want a MacBook Pro. So I currently had the twenty twenty MacBook Air. It's a good computer, but again the hardware spect are just not quite enough. I really really want the new MacBook Pro. Just like reading smer views of it, I'm like, man, I will never ever have a speed issue about anything on this computer. But that thing's like three thousand dollars to purchase. So I was like, that might be a little bit out of my budget. Hey maybe if I went and worked in tech, like like I mentioned on our Mailbag episode in a in a in a in a episode earlier this week. In a different life, I could be working in tech and three grand would be nothing. Throw that out and buy the brand new MacBook Pro and I wouldn't ever have a have a smidge of doubt about processing power and computer speed ever again. But that's not the case, because you know, we work in sports, and people don't make that much money in sports. So it'll be a it'll be a different option, but uh, it's gonna it's be cool. I my my beef and I can maybe the real speak your mind. Part of why that like, I'm excited to get a new laptop, but I need a new phone more than I need a new laptop, which really like my phone. I have the ten. It's like this thing is slower than my current laptop is. But I need the laptop because this podcast is a big part of our lives now, so I need the I need the recording power. But I'm gonna need to find a way to find the money to also get a new phone as well, which stinks. It's a lot of money, a lot of cash that I want to spend going on a trip to Europe instead. But as my grandma said today as I was coming to record these two episodes and wishing wish me a happy birthday today, that don't always get to spend the money how you want, even if you plant it out it, life never works out that way. And you know she's right, Not everything works out that way, but in due time everything will will be okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that's a pretty good way to think about it. Maybe it's not the fun way to think about it, but it is the truth. But hey, doing this podcast is fun and obviously we care about doing a good job with it, which is why the two of us have now both gotten new computers in this process. And hopefully one day everybody can cross your fingers for TJ. He'll have a new phone at some point too. So my speak your mind this week it's actually baseball related. It's even a little bit Mariners related. So I hope I don't get too much flak for this, especially being Mariners fans, but objectively as a baseball fan, somehow I never really look too much into the two thousand and one MVP voting the year each row won it. I don't know if you've ever really dug into this, TJ, but somehow I was either reading some articles or just digging through Fangrafts and Baseball Savant, but I stumbled across it, and now it's kind of got me scratching my head. I want to preface this by saying, for the record, I think each Erro is absolutely a first ballot Hall of Famer. I think he has a real chance to be unanimous. He is one of the greatest mariners ever. He's one of the greatest players ever, which is why he's going to be a first ballot Hall of Famer. But strictly looking at that two thousand and one season, I don't know if you've ever paired up his numbers with Jason Giambi, who finished in second. And let me put it like this, if these two seasons happened in today's day and age at the same time, I don't think each Zuro has an MVP to his name. So here's what I mean. Each Hero in two thousand and one obviously had over two hundred hits. He hit three point fifty amazing and a six f wour. Jason Giambi in two thousand and one hit three point thirty two. He had an eleven thirty ops eleven thirty seven, thirty eight bombs, nineteen point two percent walk rate, twelve point four percent k rate nine point two four, which was much higher than each heroes. And this is the kicker. A one ninety three WRC plus e Zerros was not that So I hope I'm not gonna get black for this, but I just start looking at these numbers, I'm like, Wow, times have changed in baseball a little bit, because if this was today, I don't think Eachziro's win that MVP over Jason Giambi.
Speaker 1: The more I read some of these steroid erastats, the more I'm convinced the pitchers in that era were just not very good. I mean, are you could eat a nineteen point two percent walk rate? Yeah, you're telling me these guys couldn't strike these guys out more than twelve percent of the time barely more? Are you kidding me? And you know what the most hilarious part of all this is, Lyle, is that the man who makes Jason Giambi look like that season look like absolutely nothing is in the Hall of Fame from that year. Correct.
Speaker 2: And by that, for those who maybe don't get the reference Ry Barry Bonds, Yes, that is crazy. Like again, like, this is no knock on each roo he was. He obviously deserved Rookie of the Year. He obviously deserved to be one of the eight Mariners in the All Star Game that year. He was the second best player in the American League that year, like like, which is really good. But I hear one ninety three WRC plus for a hitter and I'm like, that guy lost the MVP and he put up a nine win season, like wow, Like I don't know, each lay better defense, Like he played better defense better pure contact. Hitter stole way more bases, by the way, like way more obviously, but you know, the the home run heavy numbers like WRC plus and ops kind of favored nowadays.
Speaker 1: There's some pretty wonky voting back then. You look at some of these MVP races, especially when a Ron was with the Mariners in his you know, first handful of seasons. The fact he didn't win an MVP as a Mariner is pretty bonkers. Like this man is a twenty year old had a ten win season.
Speaker 2: Crazy, Yeah, that's wild, and he didn't win it, Like I don't think that ever, he.
Speaker 1: Didn't even finish first on his own team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's crazy. Oh that's the other crazy thing about two thousand and one two Brett Boone finished third that year and he had a monster year in oh one, like monster year, one of the best seasons at least power wise for a second baseman ever. So yeah, it's pretty crazy that that was a really good MVP class. And I was just looking at that and it made me kind of realize, oh, wow, like there there there might have been a snub going on here. As much as I love each ye ro, I love each hero, but just as an objective baseball fan looking at more in that lens, in this sense, I was like, wow, that's that is interesting. That's how I'll put that. So, I don't know something. I was kind of digging around and looking through and I said, this is this is kind of on my mind. I'm gonna bring it up, see what you think, and we'll see what all of our listeners think about it too. So I'm sure there'll be some comments about it. I'm sure there'll be some people saying like, how dare you slander your own your own team, which I'm not slandering, it's just it's just each each Again, I think each year is a first ballid Hall of Famer. It's just maybe that year he should have finished second, not first. That's all.
Speaker 1: So you bring up some good points, hey listen. Yeah, it was, like I'm just gonna say in summary, like reading some of the box scores and the slash lines from the steroid or era are insane. It's it's crazy to think those things happened in like modern baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. It is wild. They need a PD wing in the Hall of Fame. That is my final statement. You cannot just act like all these guys didn't exist period, Like.
Speaker 1: To be honest, hitters today don't do that, and they can't because the pitching's too.
Speaker 2: Good right now. Hitters would never have ten straight years of two hundred plus hits either in today's day and age like each EIO did. But same concept, pitching's way too good to ever do that. That's why hits are way down in baseball now. So yeah, games changed and it is fun to look back on some of those years, that's for sure. All Right. I think that just about wraps up this edition of the Marine Layer podcast. You guys know the drill. If you want to listen to the full form podcast. You can do so. Wherever you get your audio pod to make sure to download. Leave us a five star review, leave a written review. If you're watching it on YouTube, make sure a light comment and subscribe. Follow us on social media too. We're on Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and YouTube shorts at Marine Layer Pod. That's TJ. I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. Talk to you soon. The stiest