Speaker 1: Welcome to a playoff edition of Bills by the Numbers, where we let the stats tell you where the Bills are at. We're presented by a fan du will make every moment more as we dive into this wild card matchup.
Speaker 2: What are the defining.
Speaker 1: Separators in Bills versus Jaguars? What do the quarterback numbers tell us? And we'll have our one burning question.
Speaker 2: It's playoff time.
Speaker 3: Let's ride logic it, stop by and see us here on Bill by the Numbers.
Speaker 1: Here Bill Ball of Famer Seves Chasser on Bill play by play man Chris Brown, and Buffalo has qualified for the playoffs for a seventh straight season, the only team to do so in the NFL over that stretch, but for the first time in six seasons, they will begin their playoff run on the road. The last time they did that was also against an AFC South opponent, the Houston Texans, where a sixteen to eight lead at the end of the third quarter disappeared and wound up being a twenty two to nineteen loss in overtime to end their season. This time around, it's a surging Jacksonville team that has won eight straight to finish their season with a signature win on the road at Denver, the AFC's top seed in Week sixteen, thirty four to twenty two.
Speaker 4: Things the Jaguars do.
Speaker 1: Exceptionally well stop the run, where they are first in the league allowing just eighty five yards on the ground per game, and taking the ball away. They are second in the league in total takeaways with thirty one. Not that the Bills had a choice, but do you think the Jaguars are a favorable matchup for Buffalo in light of those figures? Now?
Speaker 5: I think I think they're a tough matchup. In fact, we've talked about it on the Daily Show. This may be the toughest game of the playoffs for the Bills. This matchup is tough. Now, that doesn't mean there's not good teams and the Patriots or the Broncos, or the Texans or anybody else. They are a good team and have the ability to beat the Bills. I mean, any of these teams could win these games. But as a matchup, the Jaguars are coming into the playoffs on a heater. They've got a really good quarterback, and that's the spot where you begin all of these matchups. Certainly, Josh matches up with anybody but Trevor Lawrence. Even if you put Josh's better quarterback, the gap is not as wide as it is for the other guys. And their defense is playing extremely well, as you said, and their ability to get turnovers. I mean, the Bills benefited from that last year, got them all the way to the AFC Championship Game. So that's a trait. Yeah, and it seems like it goes season by season. Certainly it doesn't have to go, but if you're in a season where you're turning them out, you kind of count on it and it kind of comes to be a characteristic than this random number. So yeah, this is a tough matchup for the Bills, no question about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think they're running into a team that is brimming with confidence.
Speaker 4: They're going to be in their own building.
Speaker 1: So somehow, some way, the Bills have to squash that and put some doubt in the minds of the Jaguars early on, preferably, because if you let them get out in front and continue on the role that they've been on the last two months, that will spell problems that'll be a difficult thing to overcome. So I think, you know, putting some doubt in the minds of the Jaguars Early will serve the Bills very well through the course of that football game. Taking a look at the quarterback statistics on Josh Allen and Trevor Lawrence, we find that Allen is superior in completion percentage by almost ten percent, sixty nine point three to Lawrence's sixty one. Lawrence threw more touchdown passes twenty nine to Allen's twenty five, but Allen has one more total touchdown with thirty nine to Lawrence's thirty eight.
Speaker 4: Where you see a bit more.
Speaker 1: Of a difference between the two quarterbacks is on the money down and in crunch time. On third down, Josh Allen has a sixty seven percent completion percentage to Lawrence's fifty seven percent, and Lawrence has five interceptions on third down this season while Allen has three. As a result, Allen's passer rating is twelve points higher on third down, ninety six point eight to eighty four point five, and in the fourth quarter, Allen is the third best quarterback in the league with a one to ten point eight rating. Buffalo signal caller seventy percent completion percentage in the final frame with eight touchdowns and two picks. He also averages almost nine yards in attempt in the fourth quarter. Lawrence is the thirty eighth rated quarterback in the fourth cours with a rating of seventy four point one, completing just under fifty two percent of his passes in the fourth quarter. Average is just over six yards in attempt, five touchdowns, three interceptions. I realized I threw a lot of numbers out there at people. All you gotta know is allan third rated quarterback in the league in the fourth quarter, Lawrence thirty eighth. The thing that really stands out though, in both areas is the completion percentage. Steve Allen ten percent better on third down and almost twenty percent better in the fourth quarter. What conclusions do you draw from those numbers as it pertains to this wild You.
Speaker 5: Can chalk some of it if you're going to try and spin this in favor of the Jacksonville team, or either way, you know Jack, you can say Hustin Jacksonville was on a heater the last eight games of the season. He didn't have to throw the football very much in the fourth quarter. They're winning games, although they were in some tight games. We've seen this and I think Josh's critics tend to poop poo these numbers, particul these fourth quarter numbers, because they've always got this thing where they just revert back to, well, he's never never won the championship game, he's never gone to the Super Bowl, He's never done this. I told Brown of this, and I said all the time, nobody plays as well as Josh Allen in the big moments. Nobody, not Mahomes, not Lamar, not Burrow, nobody, nobody currently playing in the league plays better in crunch time than Josh. And that's we talked a little bit about this in the Daily Show. There's been a little bit of contention fatigue here, I think, particularly early in the season here when they got off to a four to oh start and they're like, we still got we still have thirteen games to play before we can play one that matters.
Speaker 2: We're going.
Speaker 5: They knew after the first month of the season they were going to the playoffs, and all they had to do is wait, well, they're finally here. You would expect them to have a gear. They have not showed own consistently throughout the year, and certainly we know that their quarterback has that gear. That's what these numbers tell you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the completion percentage that the swath of space between these two quarterbacks. I mean, I don't know if you can explain away a twenty percent difference in completion percentage in the fourth quarter. I look, I know Jaguars have been ahead a lot in the fourth quarter. They've won games by decided point margins because I think since Week ten they lead the league in point differential. They're like a plus one fifty three. That does not explain that level of inefficiency for me. That coupled with the fact that Lawrence hasn't been to the playoffs in three seasons and the last time he was there he threw five picks in two games, I think that says something. I don't know that you can bank on Trevor Lawrence the way you can bank on Josh Allen in the postseason when he elevates his game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm the point differently, I'm not trying to knock Lawrence, but I'm just saying he's not act Something's right. Yeah, there's something in that that the Chargers were starting with the Chargers game where the Chargers only hung up six points on this Jacksonville team on the road on a one o'clock game coming from the West.
Speaker 4: We're talking about earlier this season, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: So you look back at this eight game and I don't want to poke well, I'm poking holes in it. They gave up. They won by twenty nine points against the Chargers, which was a good win, except it's that old thing where the West Coast team coming to the East Coast playing on a one o'clock game is notoriously a difficult time slot. Then they played Arizona, struggling team, they won by three. They played Tennessee Titans twice. They played the Indianapolis Colts twice after the Indianapolis Colts were in flames. Then they played the Jets. So the Cardinals, the Titans twice, the Colts twice is not a gauntlet. If they are a good team, and the Jacksonville Jaguars are a good team, they should have been winning big on those teams, and they did. They beat the Jets by twenty eight, They beat the Colts by six, and then they beat them by seventeen the first match. They beat the Titans by thirty four. On the final game of the season, when the Titans were done. They also beat the Titans by twenty two earlier in the season, Week thirteen, when the Titans were not going to the playoffs. Okay, you're supposed to beat teams like that, and that's why their point differential is what it is. The Bills played their backups. They played their backups in the same stretch. And let's remember, you know what the Bills did by beating the Jets, you know, by twenty seven points. And that's why what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: We know that this matchup is more than just the quarterback, so taking a deeper look at the surrounding cast. Obviously, James Cook, as the league's leading rusher, gives Buffalo a great one two punch with Allen, but Travis Etn had over eleven hundred yards on the ground for Jacksonville this season. In the pass game, these two teams are quite similar, with neither team having an alpha male pass catching threat. Both have balanced receiving corps with a quality receiving tight end Kincaid for Buffalo, Brenton Strange for the Jaguars. Even though Parker Washington led the Jags in receiving yards, Jacoby Myers, a trade deadline pickup has been a force multiplier for their passing game. He's been huge on inbreaking routes in the middle of the field, a trade deadline pickup. So Jacksonville leans on their pass game a bit more than Buffalo does, as they throw at fifty five percent of the time. Meanwhile, Buffalo updated second in the NFL in run percentage at fifty and an half percent. So what grabs your attention most with some of these figures, Steve.
Speaker 5: Well, I think the thing that grabs me is the Bill's ability when teams know they've got James Cook, when they know he's gonna run the ball, when they know they want to, the Bills are still able to run the ball half the time. It'll be interesting to see if Jacksonville feels like they need to do anything to bolster what is already a good run defense. Are the Bills going to get be able to give productive enough in the run game to force Jacksonville to double down on their run defense and thereby giving Josh a chance to throw the football a little better more effectively. The health of the wide receiving room has been an issue all year. It's been a revolving door, not only because of injuries to Palmer, to Sanders, all these guys, but also to Kincaid. They've just it's just been a revolving door out there. So if they can get a little healthier and come out healthier than they have been, perhaps that's the kind of boost the passing game needs that they don't have to throw to run the football more than half the time. But that's the question of this game. Number one run defense against the number one run offense. And it's a number one run offense that doesn't go away from it. You can't scare them off it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what I will say is Jacksonville's defense is a speed oriented defense that is designed to fly to the football and the first tackler usually gets them on the ground. They do not give up many yards either a after contact in the ground game or b after the catch and the receiving game. The offense is that Jacksonville has struggled with the most are the big personnel offenses San Francisco. You know they put tight ends on the field. The Bill we know use two three tight ends. Those are the offenses that Jacksonville struggles with more. You go big against them, you can sustain drives and finish in the end zone. So I think that is one area where Buffalo has an edge on a defense that has been very good this season. So I'm hopeful that the Bills will stick with what has worked for them for the balance of the season and continue to go twelve personnel thirteen when necessary in hell jumbo if you want to with Alec Anderson. When it comes to the two defensive units, the Jaguars have a solid group, but they do have trouble generating a consistent pass rush, which is strange because if you have the number one run defense, you should be putting opponents in obvious passing situations. But they have just thirty two sacks on the season and rank thirtieth in sacks per play. Even Buffalo's defense has more sacks than Jacksonville with thirty six, and the Bills are fourteenth in sacks per play. Both teams, excuse me. Both teams have had their share of problems getting off the field on third down. They each surrender third down conversions just over forty percent of the time, and they are identical when it comes to red zone defense. They have both given up exactly twenty eight touchdowns on forty seven red zone possessions for a touchdown percentage of fifty nine point six percent allowed. So what do you make of the Jacksonville struggle to generate an effective pass rush and it seems like their defense has some similar problems to that of the Bills when it comes to third down.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll say I think, well, one of the reasons is it might be that they get enough pressure because that helps them in churning out turnovers, which is what they're really good at. I think the turnover number wipes out a lot of problems.
Speaker 4: For their defense.
Speaker 5: Ball security is going to be huge for the Buffalo Bills offense. It comes to be when it comes to this game, and I think that stat we saw it last year. You just don't worry about your pass rush when you're chopping the ball out on fumbles or picking it off. I think that's one of the things that ball security can really highlight more. If they can't get turnovers, they are going to start to feel a little bit defenseless in the passing game because of their fact that they can't get to Josh. But it starts with ball security, that's my take.
Speaker 1: Josh has been sacked forty times this season, and I don't think it's been necessarily a breakdown in the quality of the pass protection that Buffalo has had this season. I think Josh has been hesitant to throw the ball away this year on first down, second down, third down. He has not thrown it away to live for another play as much as he has in the past. And hopefully with Joe Brady having Josh Josh self scout himself last week, it will encourage him to throw the ball away and live for another down rather than take a ten yard loss and put your team in a much more difficult situation to sustain a drive. And look, I'm not dismissing Josh heinz Allen. He has always been a problem for the Bills over the years. He was a menace in that nine to six game back in twenty twenty one. He was a problem in the London game in twenty twenty three that the Bill's lost to the Jags. So I'm not dismissing him or the number one pick in the draft a couple of years ago, Trayvon Walker, who was a six', five two hundred and seventy two pound condor coming off the edge For jacksonville on the other.
Speaker 4: Side you gotta respect those.
Speaker 1: Guys BUT i Think josh just has to be mindful of throwing the ball away and living for second and ten or third and five instead of creating a second and twenty or a third and. Fifteen, finally we know. Points, Sorry i'm struggling. Here now you're doing. Good we know points are the thing that decides. Games, overall The bills were fifth in total point differential at plus one. Sixteen jaguars were fourth at one thirty, eight and Since week, Eleven jags are the first in THE nfl at plus one fifty three on their eight game winning. Streak but The bills are the best second half team in the league in point differential plus one twenty. Seven jacksonville ranks seventh at a plus thirty seven in the second. Half any kind of advantage here For buffalo if the results from the regular season hold to.
Speaker 5: Form, well, YEAH i, mean the game's not over until the second half. Ends to not over win the first half, Ends so you gotta hang tough with them and get through this first half and keep it, even keep it. Closer if these numbers hold hold To buffalo has been a NOTORIOUSLY i don't say a slow starting. Team there have been games where they've started, slow BUT i think because of the way they have performed in the second, half it makes it seem like the first half is slower, Anyway. RIGHT i mean that there have been games when they've been shut, out that particularly The eagles, game, Right but for the most, part they play so well in the second. Half you, know you look at That New england. Game, Yeah bills were struggling on both sides of the ball in That New england. Game they gave a big plays and particularly the offense of The, patriots BUT i think it exacerbates what you, know it even widens the, margin the perceived margin between their first and second. HALF i don't think there is big a different, team much of a different team in the first and second. Half but they do do some things better and certainly do adjust very well at halftime and coming out after. Halftime and if that holds true to, FORM i don't know that there's a lead THAT i would feel comfortable with If I'm jacksonville going into.
Speaker 1: Halftime right at the same, time you have to believe The bills don't want to rely on, that you, know their second half. PROWESS i don't think they want to rely on that in a playoff. GAME i think they'd obviously like to get off to a strong start in this, game or any playoff game for that, matter because you're playing better teams in the, postseason and you, know coming back on a team of that quality is more difficult in the playoffs than it might be in the regular, season even though To steve's, point they have done it against playoff caliber teams Like New. ENGLAND i think in the grand scheme of, things don't have a fat deficit at halftime that you have to rally the troops and you, know have some monster second half. Effort you're just making life harder for yourself. Overall so hopefully they don't have to resort to that kind of a second half. Comeback but we know it's, there, yeah if they absolutely need.
Speaker 5: It it's not and talking like that we, do and we have everybody talks the exact same way that we. Do you, know they can't rely on coming. Back they're not trying to rely on. Anything they're trying to win the game in the first. Half they're trying to score so many points that the other team gives. UP i mean that's they're trying to do.
Speaker 4: That they.
Speaker 5: Don't they're not, Thinking, okay we'll get this together later. On that's not the mindset of AN nfl football team. Ever in any, case in any, scenario they're coming out and trying to get off to a fast, start and they have to adjust to what is another good football team is trying to accomplish against. Them they got to react to that and adjust to it and get out in. Front they have not in too many. Games they have not been able to come out and attack the other team in a way that the other team is caught off guard or in a you can't you don't come out faster than the other team is able to come out. Fast and it's gonna be even exacerbated by the fact that you're on a road against a really good football team in the playoffs who's on a. Heater it's going to exacerbate their ability to start. Fast you would think it doesn't mean it has to be that.
Speaker 4: Way so The.
Speaker 5: Bills, never it's not their strategy to lay down in the first half and then adjust and then come out. Firing that's never the. Strategy that's the way it looks to you, KNOW us fans out, here so don't get the mentality or even talk about it like we do about them saying they're just gonna wait and see what happens in the first, half because nobody does.
Speaker 1: That to illustrate how close many expect this wild card game to. Be not only do the odds makers have it with a one point, spread BUT espn analytics people in Their Football Power index give The bills a forty nine point one percent chance to advance to the divisional round and The jaguars a fifty point nine percent chance to advance to the divisional. Round it's essentially a coin flip game in the eyes of the analytics. People let's flip things over to the numbers, game Where steve will be quizzed.
Speaker 2: On bill's wild card.
Speaker 1: History here we, Go question number, One, steve how many wild card games have The bills played in team? History not counting This? Sunday all, right he's working through the.
Speaker 4: Years.
Speaker 2: Five it's a lot more than. That, ten it's a little bit.
Speaker 1: More it's, thirteen, really thirteen wild card games and this will be the fourteenth On. SUNDAY idea question question, well question number, two what would you guess to be The bills average points per game in wild card. Games twenty it's, higher, really twenty, three a little bit more really twenty. Six it's twenty seven point seven one the, GAME i mean you have your forty one to thirty eight wild card, win, right you, know the, comeback comeback. Game you Got josh rolling up, points forty seven to, seventeen perfect.
Speaker 4: Game like there's some fat numbers in.
Speaker 5: THERE i, mean like we had the sixteen or nineteen points In, houston seventeen to seven Over, houston then the ten to three game In jacksonville or whatever is, right three.
Speaker 4: Points so, yeah.
Speaker 5: That's twenty seven is a fat number with those kinds Sprinkled in.
Speaker 6: Question number, three what Current bills player is tied for third in team history in wild card game? Receptions Current bills, Player he's tied for third in team history and wild card game.
Speaker 1: Receptions Dawson. Knox you nailed, It. Steve he's got, fourteen well done and one got. One and question, four what Current bill's player holds the franchise mark for most rushing yards in Wild card?
Speaker 4: Games Josh.
Speaker 2: Allen it Is Josh allen three and fifty two rushing.
Speaker 4: Yard vision with a.
Speaker 2: Flurry let's.
Speaker 4: Go in case you.
Speaker 1: Were, Wondering James cook is third with two hundred and thirty eight rushing yards in wild card. Games well you know the current team, Anyway good for you.
Speaker 2: Can't remember the. OTHERS U bill's.
Speaker 1: Fans get in on the action with, FanDuel america's number one. Sportsbook just download the app today to play any way you. Want plus with, betting you'll get updated odds on games that have already.
Speaker 4: Started best of, all.
Speaker 1: You'll Get paige your winnings fast make every moment more with FanDuel Official, sportsbook partner of The Buffalo. Bills time now for our one burning. Question over the last four, years the three lower seeded wild card, teams the, five, six and, seven have gone oh and twelve not a single. Victory the last time a lower wild card team in THE afc one was in twenty, twenty when six Seeded cleveland upset three Seed pittsburgh and five Seed baltimore upset four Seed. Tennessee will this postseason wild card round be more like twenty? Twenty and if, so?
Speaker 5: WHY i think it could be because of the way the teams are built and the guys taking. Snaps you can make a case for you, know THE, afc in particular with The jaguars and The, Bills Chargers, Patriots.
Speaker 4: Chargers.
Speaker 5: Patriots it's gonna be a Rough it's it's later in the. Day this this ONE pm thing is not going to be a factor for The. Chargers they'll play. Better Justin herbert is every bit physically as capable and probably a better passer Than Drake. May the home, field the home field is is, real But Drake Drake may is a complete Quarter he can run the, football picks his spots, well great decision. Maker but certainly The Bill's jaguars is going to be a really good matchup between two teams and Experienced bill's team that is coming down the, stretch has been waiting for the playoffs for quite some, time LIKE i, Said and This jaguars team's playing as well as any team in THE nfl right, now particularly. Offensively so, YEAH i mean you're. Not Josh allen is a better than a wild card, quarterback Right he's DEFENDING, mvp and he's got a gear that nobody else. Does and This bills team has a gear, that while it's been, inconsistent it's. There it's under the hood AND i think you're gonna get their best. Efforts so, YEAH i think it could be one of those games where at least one of these two teams can.
Speaker 1: UPSET i think we could be looking at a weekend where two of the lower seeded teams. WIN i think The chargers have a favorable matchup With New england because they do not have a very good pass. Rush so for A chargers team that doesn't have each of their offensive, TACKLES i don't think it's as glaring a problem against A patriots team that struggles to get after the.
Speaker 2: Quarterback AND i also believe The.
Speaker 1: Texans The texans can be a problem for A steelers team with a quarterback who isn't as mobile as he used to. BE i realized that The texans defense doesn't look as fierce on the road as they do in their own. Building but to, me that's a. Problem that's a problem for The, Steelers SO i could easily see them winning. Too and we know This Bill's jaguars. Game everybody says it's a coin flip. Game i'm banking on seventeen in this one kind of rising up and being the better quarterback in this. MATCHUP i Think Trevor lawrence has had a fantastic. Season it's just hard for me to believe his level of play is going to look every bit as good in the. Postseason and as you have said many times, Before, steve in this, league it is hard to sustain an elite level of play for more than two. Months guess, what The jags have played elite for two. Months that time might be.
Speaker 5: Up and when we're trying and let's what we. DO i mean on these podcasts and everybody around the. Country there's nine GAZILLION nfl, podcasts nine networks with all their guys on and they all try and predict how these games are gonna. Go when you're trying to predict, it you're looking At Josh Allen Trevor. Lawrence in this, Game Josh, allen you figure it's going to be a close, game it's gonna be a playoff, game it's gonna be on the road In. Jacksonville Trevor lawrence has played extremely well down the. Stretch but when you look at when the game's gonna matter in the fourth, quarter you've seen it and he's proven it time and time and time. Again Josh, allen you know what you're gonna, get you don't really, know or at Least Trevor lawrence hasn't proven it the Way Josh allen has proven. It, Certainly Trevor lawrence is a great, quarterback no question about. It but, man oh, man there are some holes in the analysis of his game that we've talked about here that are not there In Josh. Allen so if it does come down to, that you got to Give buffalo that. Edge that doesn't say that jash lets have a really good team and they're playing at. Home but that's where that's Where i'm. At i'm with, you. Brownie you know you're gonna get what you're gonna get From, josh and you're only kind of sure you think what you're gonna get what you're gonna get From trevor Larn and as.
Speaker 1: We outlined, earlier the fourth quarter passing numbers are not super encouraging when it comes To Trevor lawrence's play in the Regular.
Speaker 5: SEAS i say, it you just gotta play well on that.
Speaker 4: Day gotta play well on that. Day our closing, Figure, oh let's try that.
Speaker 1: Again our closing figure examines teams that go into the playoffs on long winning. Streaks The, jaguars as we've, said have won eight in a row to finish their regular. Season the last thirteen teams to enter the postseason on an eight game winning streak or more have failed to win The Super, bowl and six of those, thirteen almost, half have failed to win a single playoff. Game that'll do it for this. Edition wait to, Go, brownie he got through. It, oh you can Tell brownie's not feeling it, today but you gotta do.
Speaker 4: It that's.
Speaker 1: Awesome that'll do it for this. Edition make sure you subscribe on whatever podcast platform you're using so you know when our next episode.
Speaker 2: Drops or watch us on The.
Speaker 1: Bills YouTube, channel because when you need to know about The, bills you need to Check bills by The Numbers For Steve.
Speaker 4: Tasker I'm Chris. Brown thanks for. Listening we'll catch you next.
Speaker 1: Time, everybody